Download Landon Ronald and Edward German (mostly acoustics)

Damian R

Aug 27, 2006, 1:54:37 PM8/27/06
Well, I've been rather busy recently with all sorts of lovely records, so I
thought I'd offer a selection. I got carried away They're all up on
yousendit, with the usual 7days 100downloads proviso.

Firstly a rare excursion to chamber music - from the acoustic HMV set
D1006-11 - Franck's String Quartet played by the Virtuoso String Quartet.
It's the first recording of this rather under-recorded work. I offer the
first movement here, recorded on 18th March, 14th Jan, 15th Jan 18th March
1925. It's a long first movement, almost 16 minutes.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=18DA12D53D814AC9

Now a selection of Landon Ronald recordings.

This first is a recording I've already offered here, but I got a better set
of discs for it - HMV 0701-3, Beethoven's Leonore No.3 Overture, slightly
abridged. (recorded 21st Oct 1911)
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=2902C1FE29A1ABEB

An abridged version of Beethoven's Egmont overture. on 1 side - it starts
from the Allegro. (rec 20th Jan 1912) (originally issued on HMV 0734, this
is from the double sided reissue on D141)
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=71DB4ADB24B9083D

The coupling to Egmont is Mozart's Figaro Overture, recorded 7th Oct 1911 -
this a much better copy than the single sided version I also own
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=02B11DB445441119

And now the lighter stuff begins - I've transferred 3CDs worth of records of
works by Edward German, some of them conducted or supervised by him. This
may be a bit tedious, but hopefully interesting - I've got multiple
recordings of the Shepherd's Dance from German's Henry VIII incidental music

Firstly, Landon Ronald's early account of this from D143, rec 22nd May 1915
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3687A73651C0DC06

Then Edward German's own recording from HMV 2-0742 rec 1st Dec 1916
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=07462C0313EC422D

Next Alick Maclean's Columbia acoustic L1424, rec 6th Dec 1921
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=53DC64F56FF2CAD8

Then back to the composer - his c1928 electrically recorded account on
Metropole A1009
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D0A29B356B58F98A

Finally a step up in sound quality - Victor Olof conducting the New SO c1954
on Decca LP LK4057 (side A has a vocal selection from Merrie England, side B
the Nell Gwyn and Henry VIII dances)
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=02F1F1325F40DE3F

And finally some bits of Merrie England

From HMV album D18-28, German's own recording of Merrie England, the Act 1
finale
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=0255237A17E657E8

And from Columbia DB478-483, the early 1930s abridged recording of Merrie
England, conducted by Clarence Raybould but supervised by Sir Edward German,
again the Act 1 finale
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=39B0EC4719D99E6D

Hope all that gives people something to enjoy!

As I said I got carried away.

Damian

El Klauso

Aug 27, 2006, 3:07:17 PM8/27/06

Dear D.,

Many thanks! Extraordinarily generous, and much pleasant vintage
listening!

Damian R

Aug 28, 2006, 12:37:44 PM8/28/06
Curiously, while out shopping this afternoon, I happened to find a new Decca
Eloquence CD - it includes a reissue of the Fitzwilliam Quartet's 1978
account of the Franck String Quartet. The Scherzo (2nd movement) is faster
than the Virtuoso version, but all other movements are at least a minute
slower.

"Damian R" <thes...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

abac...@att.net

Aug 29, 2006, 2:07:10 PM8/29/06
Hi Damian,

Wantt to thank you for the wonderful work you are doing.........
listened to the Virtuoso... they have a terrific first violinist and in
general the playing is of the highest standards. Amazing playing

Arri Bachrach

> Well, I've been rather busy recently with all sorts of lovely records, so I
> thought I'd offer a selection. I got carried away They're all up on
> yousendit, with the usual 7days 100downloads proviso.
>
> Firstly a rare excursion to chamber music - from the acoustic HMV set
> D1006-11 - Franck's String Quartet played by the Virtuoso String Quartet.
> It's the first recording of this rather under-recorded work. I offer the
> first movement here, recorded on 18th March, 14th Jan, 15th Jan 18th March
> 1925. It's a long first movement, almost 16 minutes.

> Damian

Damian R

Aug 29, 2006, 4:16:35 PM8/29/06
They were a British quartet, founded by The Gramophone Co in 1924, and
apparently the first chamber music group organized expressly for the purpose
of making records. And they certainly do make a fine sound. As expected at
this period, there are a few places in the Franck where pizzicatos have
become arcos in order to wax better, but the performance still works
wonderfully.

From the Acoustic Chamber Music Discography
(http://www.panix.com/~checker/acch.htm) I quote the following on the
members of the quartet:

Hayward, Marjorie [Olive], 1885-1953, violin: Beethoven: Violin Sonata 9;
Elgar: Violin Sonata; Franck: Violin Sonata. As first violin, The English
String Quartet: Haydn: Quartet in Eb, Op. 64, No. 6. As first violin,
Virtuoso Quartet: Beethoven: Quartet 8; Bridge: Three Idylls; Franck:
Quartet; Tchaikovsky: Quartet 1.

Virgo, Edwin, second violin, The English String Quartet: Haydn: Quartet in
Eb, Op. 64, No. 6 (Columbia 1923). As second violin, London String Quartet,
1917-8: Mozart: Quartet 15 (Columbia 1918), Quintet 4 (Columbia 1917);
Schumann: Quartet 1 (Columbia 1917); Vaughan Williams: On Wenlock Edge
(Columbia 1917). As second violin, Virtuoso Quartet: Beethoven: Quartet 8
(Gramophone 1925); Bridge: Three Idylls (Gramophone 1924); Franck: Quartet
(Gramophone 1924); Tchaikovsky: Quartet 1 (Gramophone 1923). Note: Mozart:
Quartet 15 may have been played by Herbert Kinsey, who replaced Virgo
sometime in 1918.

Jeremy, Raymond, 1891-1969, viola: Bliss: Conversations (with Madame Noy (A
Witchery) filler). As viola, Virtuoso Quartet: Beethoven: Quartet 8; Bridge:
Three Idylls; Franck: Quartet; Tchaikovsky: Quartet 1.

Sharpe, Cedric, 1891.4.13-1978.7, cello: Bliss: Conversations. Bass: Bliss:
Madame Noy (A Witchery) (filler to Bliss: Conversations). As cello, Virtuoso
Quartet: Beethoven: Quartet 8; Bridge: Three Idylls; Franck: Quartet;
Tchaikovsky: Quartet 1.

The 1934 HMV catalogue includes among their electrical recordings Ravel's
Introduction and Allegro, the Debussy Quartet and Beethoven's No.9 in C
Op.59/3 and No.6 in Bb Op.18/6.

As I don't have any of their other sets, for the purposes of my archive of
my 78s, I've put it on a CD with the Pro Arte version of the Debussy
Quartet, though that set is of particularly crackly HMVs, making the end of
the 3rd movement virtually inaudible due to the extreme pianissimo.

Damian

<abac...@att.net> wrote in message

harpsichordian

Aug 30, 2006, 10:16:37 AM8/30/06

Damian R wrote:
> They were a British quartet, founded by The Gramophone Co in 1924, and
> apparently the first chamber music group organized expressly for the purpose
> of making records. And they certainly do make a fine sound. As expected at
> this period, there are a few places in the Franck where pizzicatos have
> become arcos in order to wax better, but the performance still works
> wonderfully.

I've heard the Beethoven E minor (Op. 59/2) quartet they did ca. 1924 -
it was marvelous, one of the most compelling readings of that quartet
that I've heard. I can't understand why they seem to have been
completely ignored by the reissue companies like Biddulph, et al. I've
always wanted to hear more, so thanks Damian for sending the Franck
movement.

The violist, Raymond Jeremy, soloed on a Bax sonata for viola and harp
for NGS. The first movement is available in the Pearl "Recorded Viola"
series, I think the first volume.

Bryan Bishop

MrT

Aug 30, 2006, 12:32:23 PM8/30/06
Thanks, Friend! Good stuff. Keep the old 78s coming...

Best,

MrT