Liszt Sonata in B minor

Mark Tanner

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
Mark Tanner is a Ph.D student at the Birmingham Conservatoire (UK) and would
appreciate any information regarding obscure recordings/piano rolls of the
Liszt Sonata.

PS, I already have 390 recordings (including re-issues) which is probably
the most up-to-date discography.

Many thanks in anticipation,

MARK TANNER.

Taro Takei

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99

I guess most of people, including me, want to look at your
discography of the Liszt Sonata. Don't you have a web page
for it?

-- taro

Andy Evans

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
>PS, I already have 390 recordings (including re-issues)>>
How are you fixed for Winterreise - current record 106.5?

Scott Graham

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
With 390 recordings, I can't imagine who is going to be able to help you. I
thought I was doing good with my 60 recordings. There is a website you may
want to check out at:

http://www.emory.edu/MUSIC/ARNOLD/Liszt.Sonata.html

There's about 150 recordings listed there.

--
_____________________
Scott Graham

Matthew B. Tepper

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
Thanks, guys -- you've made me feel like a wimp with my mere 38
recordings of the Berlioz Grande Messe des morts....

In article <37CC839E...@p-peters.demon.nl>,
phi...@p-peters.demon.nl pondered what I'm pondering as follows...

>Andy Evans wrote:
>
>> >PS, I already have 390 recordings (including re-issues)>>

>> How are you fixed for Winterreise - current record 106.5?
>

>Hey, I've got 132 Winterreise's. Who's the other guy/gal? ;))
>
>Philip

My personal home page -- http://www.deltanet.com/~ducky/index.htm
My main music page --- http://www.deltanet.com/~ducky/berlioz.htm
"Compassionate Conservatism?" * "Tight Slacks?" * "Jumbo Shrimp?"

Philip Peters

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99

Mark Tanner wrote:

> Mark Tanner is a Ph.D student at the Birmingham Conservatoire (UK) and would
> appreciate any information regarding obscure recordings/piano rolls of the
> Liszt Sonata.
>
> PS, I already have 390 recordings (including re-issues) which is probably
> the most up-to-date discography.
>
> Many thanks in anticipation,
>
> MARK TANNER.

You actually possess *390* recordings of the Liszt sonata? Compared to that I'm
a dwarf with my 132 Winterreise's. I would be curious to know how one can afford
that as a student but am too polite to ask ;))

Philip

Philip Peters

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99

Andy Evans wrote:

> >PS, I already have 390 recordings (including re-issues)>>

Dan Koren

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
In article <ev9fx7B9#GA.224@cpmsnbbsa02>,

Scott Graham <gra...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>With 390 recordings, I can't imagine who is going to be able to help you. I
>thought I was doing good with my 60 recordings. There is a website you may
>want to check out at:
>
>http://www.emory.edu/MUSIC/ARNOLD/Liszt.Sonata.html
>
>There's about 150 recordings listed there.

Of which maybe a dozen are worth listening to, and 3 or 4 worth keeping...

:)

dk

Brad Snelling

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
In article <7qiho0$5...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,

Just curious, what are the 3 or 4 that you would keep?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
In article <7qje16$kie$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, bsne...@arrowhead.lib.mn.us
pondered what I'm pondering as follows...

>In article <7qiho0$5...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,
> d...@netcom.com (Dan Koren) wrote:
>> In article <ev9fx7B9#GA.224@cpmsnbbsa02>,
>> Scott Graham <gra...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>> >With 390 recordings, I can't imagine who is going to be able to help
>> >you. I thought I was doing good with my 60 recordings. There is a
>> >website you may want to check out at:
>> >
>> >http://www.emory.edu/MUSIC/ARNOLD/Liszt.Sonata.html
>> >
>> >There's about 150 recordings listed there.
>> >

>> Of which maybe a dozen are worth listening to, and 3 or 4 worth
>keeping...
>>
>> :)
>>
>> dk
>>

>Just curious, what are the 3 or 4 that you would keep?

I'll bet they're Richter, Richter, Richter, and for a little variety,
Richter.

Brad Snelling

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
In article <7qjis8$3...@journal.concentric.net>,

ducky兀deltanet.com (Matthew B. Tepper) wrote:
> In article <7qje16$kie$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, bsne...@arrowhead.lib.mn.us
> pondered what I'm pondering as follows...
> >
> >In article <7qiho0$5...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,
> > d...@netcom.com (Dan Koren) wrote:

> >> Of which maybe a dozen are worth listening to, and 3 or 4 worth
> >keeping...
> >>
> >> :)
> >>
> >> dk
> >>

> >Just curious, what are the 3 or 4 that you would keep?
>
> I'll bet they're Richter, Richter, Richter, and for a little variety,
> Richter.

But what about the 3 recordings each by Brendel and Arrau? ;-)

As long as we're on the topic, is there anyone out there that could
sell me a copy of Bolet playing this piece on AS Disc. I tried to track
it down through a distributor in London a couple of years ago, but
had no luck. Thanks!

Brad

Sol L. Siegel

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Brad Snelling <bsne...@arrowhead.lib.mn.us> writes:

>Just curious, what are the 3 or 4 that you would keep?

Horowitz '32, Fialkowska, Fleisher, Nojima and Richter.
(OK, so that makes five...)

-Sol Siegel, Philadelphia, PA
"Any statement that begins with 'Everybody knows' is probably inaccurate."

(Remove "junkfree" from the end of my e-mail address to reply.)

Nicolas Hodges

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Sol L. Siegel <vod...@aol.comjunkfree> writes
>Brad Snelling <bsne...@arrowhead.lib.mn.us> writes:

>Fialkowska

Is she good then? I've never heard her, only read her interview in that
Dover book.
--
Nic

poo...@my-deja.com

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
In article <7qjis8$3...@journal.concentric.net>,
ducky兀deltanet.com (Matthew B. Tepper) wrote:
> In article <7qje16$kie$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, bsne...@arrowhead.lib.mn.us
> pondered what I'm pondering as follows...
> >
> >In article <7qiho0$5...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,
> > d...@netcom.com (Dan Koren) wrote:

> >> Of which maybe a dozen are worth listening to, and 3 or 4 worth
> >keeping...
> >>
> >> :)
> >>
> >> dk
> >>

> >Just curious, what are the 3 or 4 that you would keep?
>
> I'll bet they're Richter, Richter, Richter, and for a little variety,
> Richter.

He's not that bad; he also quite admires Richter.

John E. Harrington
"On an occasion of this kind, it becomes more
than a moral duty to speak one's mind. It becomes
a pleasure." -- Oscar Wilde

John Harkness

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99

Brad Snelling wrote:

> In article <7qjis8$3...@journal.concentric.net>,
> ducky兀deltanet.com (Matthew B. Tepper) wrote:
> > In article <7qje16$kie$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, bsne...@arrowhead.lib.mn.us
> > pondered what I'm pondering as follows...

> help

> > >keeping...

> > >Just curious, what are the 3 or 4 that you would keep?
> >
> > I'll bet they're Richter, Richter, Richter, and for a little variety,
> > Richter.
>

> But what about the 3 recordings each by Brendel and Arrau? ;-)

Dan wouldn't be keeping any Brendel or Arrau, count on it. But there's
probably some recording from a live recital in Novosibirsk by a Soviet
pianist you've never heard of. :-)

John

John Harkness

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99

Nicolas Hodges wrote:

Yes, she is -- I've heard her on several occasions in Toronto and she has
a superb recording of the Chopin Etudes on Opening Day.

John Harkness

Scott Graham

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Matthew B. Tepper wrote in message <7qjis8$3...@journal.concentric.net>...

>In article <7qje16$kie$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, bsne...@arrowhead.lib.mn.us
>pondered what I'm pondering as follows...
>>
>>In article <7qiho0$5...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,
>> d...@netcom.com (Dan Koren) wrote:
>>keeping...
>>>
>>> :)
>>>
>>> dk
>>>

>>Just curious, what are the 3 or 4 that you would keep?
>
>I'll bet they're Richter, Richter, Richter, and for a little variety,
>Richter.
>
>--
There's only 3 Richter recordings so the 4th would have to be Sofronitsky.

And actually, those probably are the best ones on that list.

Scott Graham
Monterey CA

Dan Koren

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99

Hhmmm.... I wouldn't call it superb, just OK.

dk

Dan Koren

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99

Brad Snelling <bsne...@arrowhead.lib.mn.us> wrote:
>In article <7qiho0$5...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,
> d...@netcom.com (Dan Koren) wrote:
>> In article <ev9fx7B9#GA.224@cpmsnbbsa02>,
>> Scott Graham <gra...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>> >With 390 recordings, I can't imagine who is going to be able to help
>you. I
>> >thought I was doing good with my 60 recordings. There is a website
>you may
>> >want to check out at:
>> >
>> >http://www.emory.edu/MUSIC/ARNOLD/Liszt.Sonata.html
>> >
>> >There's about 150 recordings listed there.
>> >

>> Of which maybe a dozen are worth listening to, and 3 or 4 worth
>keeping...
>>
>> :)
>>
>> dk
>>

>Just curious, what are the 3 or 4 that you would keep?

Ernst Levy, Horowitz ('32), Richter, Sofronitsky, Zhukov.
Maybe 2-3 others depending on the phase of the moon :)

dk

Dan Koren

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In article <7qkmt7$i...@dfw-ixnews19.ix.netcom.com>,

Dan Koren <d...@netcom.com> wrote:

>>Just curious, what are the 3 or 4 that you would keep?
>
>Ernst Levy, Horowitz ('32), Richter, Sofronitsky, Zhukov.
>Maybe 2-3 others depending on the phase of the moon :)

Oh, I forgot, Pletnev's new recording (DG) is also superb.
Not to be confused with his earlier one on Virgin Classics
which I found thoroughly disgusting.

dk

Thomas J. Wood

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99

"Sol L. Siegel" wrote:

> Brad Snelling <bsne...@arrowhead.lib.mn.us> writes:
>
> >Just curious, what are the 3 or 4 that you would keep?
>

> Horowitz '32, Fialkowska, Fleisher, Nojima and Richter.
> (OK, so that makes five...)

Wow, somebody else knows the Fialkowska recording!!! I thought I was the only
person on earth who owns -- and loves -- that recording.

--
Tom Wood

Nicolas Hodges

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99
Dan Koren <d...@netcom.com> writes

>In article <7qkmt7$i...@dfw-ixnews19.ix.netcom.com>,
>Dan Koren <d...@netcom.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Just curious, what are the 3 or 4 that you would keep?
>>
>>Ernst Levy, Horowitz ('32), Richter, Sofronitsky, Zhukov.
>>Maybe 2-3 others depending on the phase of the moon :)
>>

>Oh, I forgot, Pletnev's new recording (DG) is also superb.
>Not to be confused with his earlier one on Virgin Classics
>which I found thoroughly disgusting.

Can you tell me more about why you hate the Virgin one?

Don't you find the DG one a bit of an autopsy?
--
Nic

John Harkness

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99

Thomas J. Wood wrote:

> "Sol L. Siegel" wrote:
>
> > Brad Snelling <bsne...@arrowhead.lib.mn.us> writes:
> >

> > >Just curious, what are the 3 or 4 that you would keep?
> >

> > Horowitz '32, Fialkowska, Fleisher, Nojima and Richter.
> > (OK, so that makes five...)
> >

> Wow, somebody else knows the Fialkowska recording!!! I thought I was the only
> person on earth who owns -- and loves -- that recording.
>
> --
> Tom Wood

Once again, mistaking the U.S. for the world.....

John Harkness

Wayne Reimer

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99

Her Szymanowski recording on the same label really is superb. But,
then, we have piteously little Richter in the same music...

wr