The Telegraph's 100 Best Classical Recordings

Rugby

Sep 7, 2009, 1:07:20 PM9/7/09

number_six

Sep 7, 2009, 1:46:12 PM9/7/09

Not a Bach cantata in sight. What a clodhopper.

I agree with them about Milstein for the Sonatas and Partitas, though.

Roland van Gaalen

Sep 7, 2009, 1:55:55 PM9/7/09
Op 07-09-09 19:07, in artikel
3ce67789-f6fb-46c5...@g19g2000yqo.googlegroups.com, Rugby
<steve...@gmail.com> schreef:

> All available at their shop, of course:
>
> www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/6137471/100-Best-Classical-Recordings.html

I find this a rather pleasantly opinionated list

E.g.: <<Note down all the most obvious choices � for conductors: Karajan,
Ashkenazy and Levine; for piano, Kissin and Lang Lang � and throw everything
you have by them away. There are exceptions (Karajan�s opera) but by and
large these strutting maestros have bought space in your brains by being
shrewd, not musical � though the two can go together (Bernstein).>>

and

<<For the most ambitious social climbers among you, scratchy old reissues
are a must. Try Dutton, Testament and Naxos Historical.>>

--
Roland van Gaalen
Amsterdam

Thornhill

Sep 7, 2009, 2:16:39 PM9/7/09

I'll use this as an opportunity to see if anyone else similarly
loathes "Fidelio" and "Don Carlos." Even for operas I find both to be
painfully melodramatic and heavy handed. But all the critics insist
that I'm supposed to love these operas.

Matthew�B.�Tepper

Sep 7, 2009, 2:29:59 PM9/7/09
Rugby <steve...@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following letters to
be typed in news:3ce67789-f6fb-46c5-bf0d-
da26e2...@g19g2000yqo.googlegroups.com:

> All available at their shop, of course:
>
> www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/6137471/100-Best-Classical-Recordings.html
>
> Rugby

"Listening to Berlioz�s Requiem, so dark, mysterious and vast, is like
crawling around an ocean floor. Bernstein heightens these oceanic mysteries,
exploring every nook and cranny of the enormous Madeleine church, in which he
recorded the work, with his inimitable and enormous sound."

NOT the Madeleine Church, idiot; L'�glise de Saint-Louis at Les Invalides!

Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers

Andy Evans

Sep 7, 2009, 2:49:04 PM9/7/09
All very predictably english, all very safe, most could be improved.
Unfortunately this is all you ever get from UK reviewers.

andy

Dontait...@aol.com

Sep 7, 2009, 3:20:36 PM9/7/09

Hello? "...the brothers Erich and Carlos Kleiber"?

To paraphrase a line from the Hollywood movie "Boys' Town," "[my
dad] ain't heavy, father! He's my brother!"

Don Tait

Mr. Mike

Sep 7, 2009, 3:20:27 PM9/7/09

I love this section:

4 Buy British

Be sure to have something by each of three British Bs: Beecham�s Haydn
or Mozart; Boult�s Brahms or Berg; Barbirolli�s Verdi or Vaughan
Williams.

number_six

Sep 7, 2009, 3:23:16 PM9/7/09

Yes. They had their moments, but Tippett, Birtwistle and Finzi in a
list that purports to set forth the top 100 classical recordings of
all time? That strains my credulity past the breaking point.

If I undertook such a list it would be idiosyncratic, but at least I
would admit it.

HvT

Sep 7, 2009, 3:44:21 PM9/7/09

Great fun! In particular the rules for buyers.

Henk

The Historian

Sep 7, 2009, 4:00:01 PM9/7/09
On Sep 7, 1:07 pm, Rugby <steveha...@gmail.com> wrote:

*********
8 Bach Brandenburg Concertos (Trevor Pinnock, The English Concert)
Archiv £24.45, RRP £29.99

This is pure, unadorned Bach, delicately presented, lightly inflected
and left to speak for itself, which it does with unsurpassed
eloquence.
**********

What twaddle. Not the performances, mind you, just the description of
it as "pure" and the music being "left to speak for itself."

Also, was Parrot on Chandos really the "first" period instrument
recording of Purcell's Dido?

number_six

Sep 7, 2009, 5:01:58 PM9/7/09

If they do a remake, they'll probably change that line to "Don't taze
me, Bro."

There's a fantastic Freischutz from Kleiber the younger.

Kip Williams

Sep 7, 2009, 5:05:53 PM9/7/09
Dontait...@aol.com wrote:

> To paraphrase a line from the Hollywood movie "Boys' Town," "[my
> dad] ain't heavy, father! He's my brother!"

My sister and I and whoever else was around used to watch that movie on
TV whenever it came on. We called Bobs Watson "Pud," and our favorite
moment was always when Pud got hit by the car.

Kip W

Ward Hardman

Sep 8, 2009, 1:25:01 AM9/8/09
On Sep 7, 10:07 am, Rugby <steveha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All available at their shop, of course:
>
> www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/6137471/100-Best-Classical-Recordings.html

I'm dismayed to be batting only 0.320. Oops, make that 0.327,
since they list only 98 choices.

OK ... let's make my batting average 0.351, since I'll drop five
of those "20th Century English" selections (Elgar: Gerontius,
Britten: War Requiem, Turnage, Finzi,and Tippett) as
chauvinistic aberrations. (Although I do have Boult's
"Gerontius," which I hope to stay awake through some day,
and I do have the 1928-38 Beecham Delius monos, so *they*
won't be dropped. ;-)

There are some real "howlers" here. Carter's string quartets
"One to Five" are actually 1 AND 5. And of course a third-rate
British ensemble under a second-rate conductor can play the
"Rite of Spring" better than the composer.

How about Beecham's Haydn symphonies 93-104, of which one
"High Fidelity" reviewer of the '60s complained that it had
"10,000 wrong notes," while another said that they exhibited
"stodgy Victorianism [nowhere near as much as "Gerontius"!]
and fussy nuances"? Why are they preferred over, say, Colin
Davis's set with accurate texts? Oh! The Davis Haydn set was
with the Concertgebouw, a Dutch rather than a British
orchestra, a sure disqualification from greatness!

--Ward Hardman

"The older I get, the more I admire and crave competence,
just simple competence, in any field from adultery to zoology."
- H.L. Mencken

Steve de Mena

Sep 8, 2009, 2:21:36 AM9/8/09
Rugby wrote:
> All available at their shop, of course:

Like this one?

6 Grieg and Schumann Piano Concertos (soloist Stephen Kovacevich)
Philips, deleted

A great coupling, the A minor piano concertos of Grieg and Schumann
are played with poetic brilliance by Kovacevich and the conductor
Colin Davis.

Steve

Gerard

Sep 8, 2009, 2:53:30 AM9/8/09

AFAIK this one is widely available (reissued in the Universal series
"Originals"). At least it was last sunday, when I've seen several copies in a CD
store.
http://www.universalmusic.nl/p-detail.php?pid=0028947577737

Anonymous

Sep 8, 2009, 3:05:55 AM9/8/09
Does it include the Ward 'Turd' Hardmano Overture?

lol!!!!!!!!!

Tim Fuggitt

John

Sep 8, 2009, 4:46:45 AM9/8/09
On Sep 8, 6:25 am, Ward Hardman <ward.hard...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  And of course a third-rate
> British ensemble under a second-rate conductor can play the
> "Rite of Spring" better than the composer.

Rattle may very well be "second-rate", but the CBSO is the equal of,
and superior to many other more well-known ensembles anywhere in the
world, including the USA.

I'm not all that keen on The Daily Telegraph, but I'm sure most of
this was written with tongues firmly lodged in cheeks.

PJ

Sep 8, 2009, 6:28:26 AM9/8/09

Irony? Wazzaaat?

William Sommerwerck

Sep 8, 2009, 9:09:47 AM9/8/09
> I'm not all that keen on The Daily Telegraph, but I'm sure most
> of this was written with tongues firmly lodged in cheeks.

You really think so? I see nothing comic or ironic.

Allen

Sep 8, 2009, 9:32:23 AM9/8/09
I see ineptitude--or marketing.
Allen

Bob Lombard

Sep 8, 2009, 9:38:22 AM9/8/09

Dry British humor? That phrase covers a lot of ground, including 'witty'
insults.

bl

Sep 8, 2009, 9:57:50 AM9/8/09
In article <i7tpm.745014$4p1....@en-nntp-03.dc1.easynews.com>, Bob
Lombard <thorste...@vermontel.net> wrote:

It's the Dry Tongue-in-Cheek which leaves most people with a bad taste
in their mouths.

-Owen

"mcdonaldREMOVE TO...@scs.uiuc.edu

Sep 8, 2009, 10:08:43 AM9/8/09

I see British chauvinism.

Doug McDonald

John

Sep 8, 2009, 10:13:34 AM9/8/09
On Sep 8, 2:38 pm, Bob Lombard <thorsteinnos...@vermontel.net> wrote:

> Dry British humor? That phrase covers a lot of ground, including 'witty'
> insults.
>
> bl

Well, Bob, you should know, but I'll leave it at that. I don't feel
very argumentative today.

John

Sep 8, 2009, 10:14:39 AM9/8/09
On Sep 8, 2:09 pm, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> > I'm not all that keen on The Daily Telegraph, but I'm sure most
> > of this was written with tongues firmly lodged in cheeks.
>
> [snip] I see nothing comic or ironic.

I do.

Gerard

Sep 8, 2009, 10:22:10 AM9/8/09

Probably because you agree that the article is more than a little ridiculous.
But is it intended to be so? And do readers know so?

John

Sep 8, 2009, 10:25:36 AM9/8/09

Yes, I'd say that's a reasonable statement.

John

Sep 8, 2009, 11:09:21 AM9/8/09
On Sep 8, 3:08 pm, "mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH ME"@scs.uiuc.edu
wrote:

> I see British chauvinism.
>
> Doug McDonald

Too bad.
Live with it.

Sep 8, 2009, 11:21:50 AM9/8/09
In article
<e365a86e-b955-4eba...@t13g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
John <johnt...@ymail.com> wrote:

I took it as mildly put-on, but with some serious statements and some
over-the-top ones. Make sure to keep your 20th Century British an
integral part of your collection.

-Owen

William Sommerwerck

Sep 8, 2009, 11:26:21 AM9/8/09

I have a sense of humor dryer than the Australian Outback. I knows it when I
sees it.

John

Sep 8, 2009, 11:35:20 AM9/8/09
On Sep 8, 4:21 pm, O <ow...@denofinequityx.com> wrote:
> In article
> <e365a86e-b955-4eba-bd4b-c823f606e...@t13g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

> John <johntat...@ymail.com> wrote:

> > > Probably because you agree that the article is more than a little
> > > ridiculous.
> > > But is it intended to be so? And do readers know so?
>
> > Yes, I'd say that's a reasonable statement.
>
> I took it as mildly put-on, but with some serious statements and some
> over-the-top ones.

And that's roughly the way I took it too. I never take that sort of
stuff very seriously, although it can be mildly entertaining
sometimes.

 Make sure to keep your 20th Century British an
> integral part of your collection.
>

> -Owen-

I do my best. I have plenty of RVW, Bax, Bantock, Finzi, etc., but
there's quite a lot I'd rather not have -- Birtwistle, Maxwell Davies,
and so on.

Kip Williams

Sep 8, 2009, 4:16:39 PM9/8/09
"mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH ME"@scs.uiuc.edu wrote:
> Allen wrote:
>>>
>>> You really think so? I see nothing comic or ironic.
>>>
>> I see ineptitude--or marketing.
>
> I see British chauvinism.

I see dead people.

Kip W

John

Sep 8, 2009, 4:32:05 PM9/8/09
On Sep 8, 9:16 pm, Kip Williams <k...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> I see dead people.
>
> Kip W

Your second name wouldn't be "Night", would it?

Simon Roberts

Sep 8, 2009, 4:53:53 PM9/8/09
The Historian <neil.the...@gmail.com> wrote in news:d4b8a5fc-2f13-
4738-98dd-2...@e18g2000vbe.googlegroups.com:

I think so; but Parrott's was not the first one-per-part B Minor Mass -
that was Rifkin's, which must have made it across the Atlantic because it
won a Gramophone award....

Simon

Simon Roberts

Sep 8, 2009, 5:29:38 PM9/8/09
"mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH ME"@scs.uiuc.edu wrote in news:h85ohb$jtc
$1...@news.acm.uiuc.edu:

Oh, I don't know - there's barely a Brit in sight among the singers and
conductors in the opera recommendations, only two of the soloists in the 10
concerto recordings are British, only one of pianists of the 10 discs in
the piano solo category is British, two of the chamber music
recommendations (sort-of - Amadeus + Curzon is c.50% Brit, no?); etc.

My objection to the list is that it looks like an exam answer written for a
panel of examiners consisting of the British reviewer establishment (of
which one of the three reviewers is a leading member); but as such things
go, it's, well, pretty much what one would expect.

Simon

Simon Roberts

Sep 8, 2009, 5:32:51 PM9/8/09
Bob Lombard <thorste...@vermontel.net> wrote in news:i7tpm.745014
$4p1....@en-nntp-03.dc1.easynews.com:

The great thing about such humour is that, when legitimate criticism is
made and one can't think of any better way to deal with it, you can claim
to have been ironic or engaging in satire or some such.

In this case the recommendations themselves are surely all completely
"straight," while the introductory blurb and rules for collectors
screamingly obviously aren't. I don't think there's much need for decoding
here....

Simon

Frank Berger

Sep 8, 2009, 5:40:51 PM9/8/09

Sometime one can write so obscurely that the audience can't tell what was
intended. Perhaps that's the problem here.

Bob Lombard

Sep 8, 2009, 5:47:15 PM9/8/09

I'm guessing you are right, though I haven't read the original. This on
the premise that I wouldn't read the Telegraph unless it was the only
fairly painless alternative to complete sensory deprivation.

bl

William Sommerwerck

Sep 8, 2009, 6:04:17 PM9/8/09
> Sometime one can write so obscurely that the audience can't
> tell what was intended. Perhaps that's the problem here.

There is a bit of tongue-in-cheek in the general recommendations section, so
I'm inclined to believe the rest is supposed to be taken at face value.

But anyone who recommends Beacham for Haydn should be caned. (They used to
do that in British boarding schools, dontcha know.)

Steve de Mena

Sep 8, 2009, 7:03:11 PM9/8/09

But is it available "at their shop"?

Steve

John

Sep 8, 2009, 7:20:51 PM9/8/09
On Sep 8, 11:04 pm, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
wrote:
.

> But anyone who recommends Beecham for Haydn should be caned. (They used to

> do that in British boarding schools, dontcha know.)

They used to do that in *all* British schools, dontcha know :-)

John

Sep 8, 2009, 7:24:45 PM9/8/09

I think that's about right. I certainly wasn't inclined to take it
seriously. Others might, but that's their problem.

PJ

Sep 8, 2009, 7:53:33 PM9/8/09
On 8 Sep, 23:04, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> > Sometime one can write so obscurely that the audience can't
> > tell what was intended. Perhaps that's the problem here.
>
> There is a bit of tongue-in-cheek in the general recommendations section, so
> I'm inclined to believe the rest is supposed to be taken at face value.
>
> But anyone who recommends Beacham for Haydn should be caned.

as should those who cannot spell Beecham.

(They used to
> do that in British boarding schools, dontcha know.)

The UK gave up legalised assault of children in schools years ago,
unlike the US where it is still legal to assault children in some
states.

Matthew�B.�Tepper

Sep 8, 2009, 8:05:37 PM9/8/09
Simon Roberts <sd...@comcast.net> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:Xns9C80B1F5130D...@216.196.97.131:

> Oh, I don't know - there's barely a Brit in sight among the singers and
> conductors in the opera recommendations, only two of the soloists in the
> 10 concerto recordings are British, only one of pianists of the 10 discs
> in the piano solo category is British, two of the chamber music
> recommendations (sort-of - Amadeus + Curzon is c.50% Brit, no?); etc.

The Amadeus Quartet were practically adopted as British. As was Karajan, at
least until his final years when the UK musical press turned on him.

Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers

Matthew�B.�Tepper

Sep 8, 2009, 8:05:38 PM9/8/09
"William Sommerwerck" <grizzle...@comcast.net> appears to have caused

the following letters to be typed in

I sometimes listen to Beecham in Haydn, but I don't recommend it.

graham

Sep 8, 2009, 9:39:41 PM9/8/09

"Matthew B. Tepper" <oy�@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Simon Roberts <sd...@comcast.net> appears to have caused the following
> letters to be typed in news:Xns9C80B1F5130D...@216.196.97.131:
>
>> Oh, I don't know - there's barely a Brit in sight among the singers and
>> conductors in the opera recommendations, only two of the soloists in the
>> 10 concerto recordings are British, only one of pianists of the 10 discs
>> in the piano solo category is British, two of the chamber music
>> recommendations (sort-of - Amadeus + Curzon is c.50% Brit, no?); etc.
>
> The Amadeus Quartet were practically adopted as British.

It was 25% British by birth!

William Sommerwerck

Sep 8, 2009, 10:10:19 PM9/8/09
> I sometimes listen to Beecham in Haydn, but I don't recommend it.

Great party records, though.

Gerard

Sep 9, 2009, 2:37:36 AM9/9/09

Why not? (Who cares?)

Gerard

Sep 9, 2009, 3:01:23 AM9/9/09
John wrote:
> On Sep 8, 10:40 pm, "Frank Berger" <frank.d.ber...@dal.frb.org> wrote:
> > John wrote:

> > > I do.
> >
> > Sometime one can write so obscurely that the audience can't tell
> > what was intended. Perhaps that's the problem here.
>
> I think that's about right. I certainly wasn't inclined to take it
> seriously. Others might, but that's their problem.

Sure, but that's always the case.
Point is that we don't know for sure how the article has been intended.
Was it intended to be a joke, easy recognizable as nothing serious by those _who
know better_ ?
How does the article handle those who don't *know* that this cannot be serious?
(There is no point of course if that newspaper is filled with rubbish only
always, and if that is is very well known fact - but I don't know.)

Compare it to the Belgium TV news program in which some serious people anounced
the fall (splitting) of the country. "Funny" (almost) to those who *know* that
it is *not* true. But many people did not know and could not know.

John

Sep 9, 2009, 4:21:07 AM9/9/09
On Sep 9, 2:39 am, "graham" <g.ste...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> "Matthew B. Tepper" <oyþ@earthlink.net> wrote in messagenews:Xns9C80ADDB8BE...@216.168.3.30...

> > The Amadeus Quartet were practically adopted as British.
>
> It was 25% British by birth!

75% of them were interned as enemy aliens on the Isle of Man during
WW2. The rest, as they say, is history.

Steve de Mena

Sep 9, 2009, 4:32:56 AM9/9/09

It's a NEWSPAPER. What "shop" was the OP referring to in his slam of
the article?

Steve

John

Sep 9, 2009, 4:44:48 AM9/9/09

Well, no, I can't say for certain that it was intentionally tongue-in-
cheek, but that's the way I read it. Some will feel inclined to take
it seriously, others won't. Either way, it's not a matter of earth-
shattering importance.

Andrew Rose

Sep 9, 2009, 6:09:09 AM9/9/09

They certainly did... :-0

--
Andrew Rose

Pristine Classical: "The destination for people interested in historic
recordings..." (Gramophone)

www.pristineclassical.com

Rugby

Sep 9, 2009, 6:26:33 AM9/9/09
On Sep 9, 3:32 am, Steve de Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
What "shop" was the OP referring to in his slam of
> the article?

"The CDs on these pages can be purchased at a discounted price through
the Telegraph CD Shop
Call 0844 871 1519, or visit www.telegraph.co.uk/top100cdshop."

John

Sep 9, 2009, 6:56:02 AM9/9/09
On Sep 9, 11:09 am, Andrew Rose <and...@pristineaudio.com> wrote:
> John wrote:
> > On Sep 8, 11:04 pm, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
> > wrote:
> > .
> >> But anyone who recommends Beecham for Haydn should be caned. (They used to
> >> do that in British boarding schools, dontcha know.)
>
> > They used to do that in *all* British schools, dontcha know :-)
>
> They certainly did... :-0
>
> --
> Andrew Rose

Yep. We had a school song that included the lines: "Memories of dear
old schooldays never shall fade away". This is true. The memories
never fade away, but they're not particularly "dear" either :-)

Gerard

Sep 9, 2009, 9:33:23 AM9/9/09
John wrote:

> Well, no, I can't say for certain that it was intentionally tongue-in-
> cheek, but that's the way I read it. Some will feel inclined to take
> it seriously, others won't. Either way, it's not a matter of earth-
> shattering importance.

Of course not. No post in this ng has any importance.
It's only a matter that keeps us busy for a short while.

Gerard

Sep 9, 2009, 9:36:03 AM9/9/09
Steve de Mena wrote:

> It's a NEWSPAPER. What "shop" was the OP referring to in his slam of
> the article?
>
> Steve

I've seen different of those shops 'runned' by newspapers.
Sometimes they have attractive stuff, like all Mahler symphonies by Chailly for
25 Euros (this is no longer available for this price).

Sep 9, 2009, 12:20:01 PM9/9/09
In article <h872rs$24a$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, William
Sommerwerck <grizzle...@comcast.net> wrote:

> > I sometimes listen to Beecham in Haydn, but I don't recommend it.
>
> Great party records, though.

Would that be the Communist Party?

-Owen

John

Sep 9, 2009, 12:30:11 PM9/9/09

That's more or less the way I see it. OTOH, some posts are very
informative -- what to buy and what to avoid, etc.

Gerard

Sep 9, 2009, 12:59:41 PM9/9/09

That's right.
Can you tell me what to buy and what to avoid?
Please don't forget etc. ;-)

I suggest a few new monthly threads.
WAYTWTB - September, and WAYTWTA - September, for instance.

John

Sep 9, 2009, 2:28:43 PM9/9/09

Actually, that's not a bad idea! I suppose you mean something like
"What Are You Not Listening To This Month?" or WAYNLTTM ?

Sep 9, 2009, 3:17:27 PM9/9/09
In article
<45665a97-20a7-4861...@l13g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
John <johnt...@ymail.com> wrote:

WDYWYHLTTM - What Do You Wish You Hadn't Listened To This Month?

-Owen, winner of the award for - WPDYWYDR - Whose Posts Did You Wish
You Didn't Read?

John

Sep 9, 2009, 3:49:42 PM9/9/09
On Sep 9, 8:17 pm, O <ow...@denofinequityx.com> wrote:
> In article
> <45665a97-20a7-4861-a3a5-e1eb5ae43...@l13g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,

> John <johntat...@ymail.com> wrote:

> > > That's right.
> > > Can you tell me what to buy and what to avoid?
> > > Please don't forget etc. ;-)
>
> > > I suggest a few new monthly threads.
> > > WAYTWTB  - September, and WAYTWTA - September, for instance.
>
> > Actually, that's not a bad idea! I suppose you mean something like
> > "What Are You Not Listening To This Month?" or WAYNLTTM ?
>
> WDYWYHLTTM - What Do You Wish You Hadn't Listened To This Month?

That's an easy one -- most of the Proms.

> -Owen, winner of the award for - WPDYWYDR - Whose Posts Did You Wish
> You Didn't Read?

Congratulations!

Simon Roberts

Sep 9, 2009, 3:55:17 PM9/9/09
"William Sommerwerck" <grizzle...@comcast.net> wrote in

What punishment do you recommend for all those who enjoy Beecham's Haydn?

Simon

Matthew�B.�Tepper

Sep 9, 2009, 3:59:42 PM9/9/09
O <ow...@denofinequityx.com> appears to have caused the following letters to
be typed in news:090920091517276299%ow...@denofinequityx.com:

> WDYWYHLTTM - What Do You Wish You Hadn't Listened To This Month?

Yesterday I watched on YouTube an excerpt from a Zarzuela, "El Barberillo de
Lavapi�s," which I hope is not representative of the form, because I found it
extraordinarily dull and repetitive. If the rest of it is like that bit, it
would rank pretty low on my list of musical staged works about barbers.

> -Owen, winner of the award for - WPDYWYDR - Whose Posts Did You Wish
> You Didn't Read?

No, I can think of several people I wish I had plonked much earlier.

John

Sep 9, 2009, 4:10:24 PM9/9/09
On Sep 9, 8:55 pm, Simon Roberts <s...@comcast.net> wrote:

> What punishment do you recommend for all those who enjoy Beecham's Haydn?
>
> Simon

A bloody good haydn.

John

Sep 9, 2009, 4:12:46 PM9/9/09

.

> > -Owen, winner of the award for - WPDYWYDR - Whose Posts Did You Wish
> > You Didn't Read?
>
> No, I can think of several people I wish I had plonked much earlier.

So, you admit to being a plonker?

Steve de Mena

Sep 9, 2009, 4:17:56 PM9/9/09

Thank you.

Steve

Simon Roberts

Sep 9, 2009, 4:18:35 PM9/9/09
John <johnt...@ymail.com> wrote in

> Well, no, I can't say for certain that it was intentionally tongue-in-
> cheek, but that's the way I read it. Some will feel inclined to take
> it seriously, others won't. Either way, it's not a matter of earth-
> shattering importance.

Of course it's not. But which of the recommendations (as opposed to the
jokey blurbs and lead-ins) strike you as being tongue-in-cheek? They're
all recordings that frequently get recommended by critics (and others),
even if not everyone around here likes them all. I suppose a certain sort
of collector might recommend, say, Pinnock's Brandenburgs only tongue-in-
cheek, but that's the sort of in-in-in-joke that's not likely to show up in
a national newspaper.

Simon

John

Sep 9, 2009, 4:29:15 PM9/9/09
On Sep 9, 9:18 pm, Simon Roberts <s...@comcast.net> wrote:

Hello Simon,
I didn't have any specific recommendations in mind, it was the overall
tone that I considered rather tongue-in-cheek. Sometimes jokey,
sometimes not. Besides, The Telegraph isn't exactly renowned for its
objectivity -- whatever the subject matter.

Norman Schwartz

Sep 9, 2009, 5:40:27 PM9/9/09

"Simon Roberts" <sd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

It'll be a surprise.

> Simon

Sep 9, 2009, 6:07:42 PM9/9/09
In article
<69ed4002-8158-42d6...@g23g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
John <johnt...@ymail.com> wrote:

I think the culprits are all haydn.

-Owen

William Sommerwerck

Sep 9, 2009, 6:26:48 PM9/9/09
>> But anyone who recommends Beecham for Haydn should be caned.

>> (They used to do that in British boarding schools, dontcha know.)

> What punishment do you recommend for all those who enjoy
> Beecham's Haydn?

Being forced to listen to good period-instrument performances, along with
some Jordi Savall.

William Sommerwerck

Sep 9, 2009, 6:28:04 PM9/9/09
>> What punishment do you recommend for all those who
>> enjoy Beecham's Haydn?

> It'll be a surprise.

How about herding them under a huge chandelier with sharp ornaments, then
cutting the cable?

William Sommerwerck

Sep 9, 2009, 6:30:09 PM9/9/09
>> Well, no, I can't say for certain that it was intentionally tongue-in-
>> cheek, but that's the way I read it. Some will feel inclined to take
>> it seriously, others won't. Either way, it's not a matter of earth-
>> shattering importance.

> Of course it's not. But which of the recommendations (as opposed to the
> jokey blurbs and lead-ins) strike you as being tongue-in-cheek? They're
> all recordings that frequently get recommended by critics (and others),
> even if not everyone around here likes them all. I suppose a certain sort
> of collector might recommend, say, Pinnock's Brandenburgs only tongue-in-
> cheek, but that's the sort of in-in-in-joke that's not likely to show up
in
> a national newspaper.

I haven't heard the new Pinnock Brandenburgs, but I've found Trevor to be a
generally fine conductor and performer of Baroque. I fail to see what would
"humorous" about recommending one of his recordings. Or did I misunderstand
your point?

Sep 9, 2009, 9:16:10 PM9/9/09
In article <h89a73$od6$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, William
Sommerwerck <grizzle...@comcast.net> wrote:

That's for people who like Lloyd-Webber.

-Owen

Kip Williams

Sep 9, 2009, 9:57:09 PM9/9/09
John wrote:

> On Sep 9, 8:59 pm, "Matthew B. Tepper" <oy�@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> O <ow...@denofinequityx.com>
> .
>>> -Owen, winner of the award for - WPDYWYDR - Whose Posts Did You Wish
>>> You Didn't Read?
>> No, I can think of several people I wish I had plonked much earlier.
>
> So, you admit to being a plonker?

The candidate's a plonker, yes a well-known plonker.
The candidate's a plonker, and I'm a plonker too.

Kip W

John

Sep 10, 2009, 5:15:46 AM9/10/09
On Sep 9, 11:07 pm, O <ow...@denofinequityx.com> wrote:
> In article
> <69ed4002-8158-42d6-b827-622e352bb...@g23g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,

> John <johntat...@ymail.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 9, 8:55 pm, Simon Roberts <s...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > > What punishment do you recommend for all those who enjoy Beecham's Haydn?
>
> > > Simon
>
> > A bloody good haydn.
>
> I think the culprits are all haydn.
>
> -Owen

In the outBach covered in Scheidt?

John

Sep 10, 2009, 5:23:12 AM9/10/09
On Sep 10, 2:57 am, Kip Williams <k...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> John wrote:
> > On Sep 9, 8:59 pm, "Matthew B. Tepper" <oyþ@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >> O <ow...@denofinequityx.com>
> > .
> >> No, I can think of several people I wish I had plonked much earlier.
>
> > So, you admit to being a plonker?
>
> The candidate's a plonker, yes a well-known plonker.
> The candidate's a plonker, and I'm a plonker too.
>
> Kip W

I'm sure that's been set to music, but I can't think of a melody that
fits it.

PJ

Sep 10, 2009, 8:03:09 AM9/10/09
On 9 Sep, 23:30, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> I haven't heard the new Pinnock Brandenburgs, but I've found Trevor to be a
> generally fine conductor and performer of Baroque. I fail to see what would
> "humorous" about recommending one of his recordings. Or did I misunderstand
> your point?

I like his DG Archiv Bach recordings a lot - the newer Avie set is
better played, the earlier Archiv a bit more seat of the pants.

Kip Williams

Sep 10, 2009, 8:29:04 AM9/10/09
John wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2:57 am, Kip Williams <k...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>> John wrote:
>>> .
>>> So, you admit to being a plonker?
>> The candidate's a plonker, yes a well-known plonker.
>> The candidate's a plonker, and I'm a plonker too.
>
> I'm sure that's been set to music, but I can't think of a melody that
> fits it.

There was a Dr. Pepper ad (US) in the 70s that it strongly suggests --
"I'm a pepper, you're a pepper..."

Kip W

John

Sep 10, 2009, 8:38:08 AM9/10/09
On Sep 10, 1:29 pm, Kip Williams <k...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> John wrote:
> >> The candidate's a plonker, yes a well-known plonker.
> >> The candidate's a plonker, and I'm a plonker too.
>
> > I'm sure that's been set to music, but I can't think of a melody that
> > fits it.
>
> There was a Dr. Pepper ad (US) in the 70s that it strongly suggests --
> "I'm a pepper, you're a pepper..."
>
> Kip W

Thanks, I get it now.
"I'm a Tepper, you're a Tepper...." etc., etc. :-)

William Sommerwerck

Sep 10, 2009, 9:25:10 AM9/10/09
>> The candidate's a plonker, yes a well-known plonker.
>> The candidate's a plonker, and I'm a plonker, too.

> I'm sure that's been set to music, but I can't think of
> a melody that fits it.

You've mean you've never heard Copland's setting of folk songs? It's in
there.

Classical stations play it every Fourth of July. I hate it. The whole thing.

Kip Williams

Sep 10, 2009, 9:36:55 AM9/10/09

I took it as a jest.

Kip W

John

Sep 10, 2009, 10:02:45 AM9/10/09
On Sep 10, 2:25 pm, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> >> The candidate's a plonker, yes a well-known plonker.
> >> The candidate's a plonker, and I'm a plonker, too.
> > I'm sure that's been set to music, but I can't think of
> > a melody that fits it.
>
> You've mean you've never heard Copland's setting of folk songs? It's in
> there.

No, I appear to have missed that one. But your comment suggests that I
might not be missing anything very important and I won't lose any
sleep over it.

4th July isn't celebrated here, as you know, but it's my son's
birthday and I remember it for that reason only.

Matthew�B.�Tepper

Sep 10, 2009, 10:37:08 AM9/10/09
Kip Williams <k...@rochester.rr.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:V1Zpm.122761$nL7.1...@newsfe18.iad:

> The candidate's a plonker, yes a well-known plonker.
> The candidate's a plonker, and I'm a plonker too.

Set by Aaron Copland, of course. And yes, I wish I had realized sooner about
Proty's multiple identities, and plonked them all.

William Sommerwerck

Sep 10, 2009, 11:44:23 AM9/10/09
>> The candidate's a plonker, yes a well-known plonker.
>> The candidate's a plonker, and I'm a plonker too.

> Set by Aaron Copland, of course.

I don't think so. I think these are folk melodies (or out-of-copyright
works). Copland simply arranged them.

John

Sep 10, 2009, 12:31:54 PM9/10/09
On Sep 10, 3:37 pm, "Matthew B. Tepper" <oyþ@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Set by Aaron Copland, of course.  And yes, I wish I had realized sooner about
> Proty's multiple identities, and plonked them all.

And had *I* realised what was going on sooner, your friend, "Proty",
would have ceased to exist very quickly indeed. Too late now.

( This was a pleasant and entertaining thread. What a pity someone had
to spoil it.)

John

Sep 10, 2009, 1:00:03 PM9/10/09
On Sep 10, 4:44 pm, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Doesn't "set" mean "arranged", given the context?

Ward Hardman

Sep 10, 2009, 1:20:08 PM9/10/09
On Sep 10, 7:02 am, John <johntat...@ymail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2:25 pm, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

[snip]

> > You've mean you've never heard Copland's setting of folk songs? It's in
> > there.
>
> No, I appear to have missed that one. But your comment suggests that I
> might not be missing anything very important and I won't lose any
> sleep over it.
>
> 4th July isn't celebrated here, as you know, but it's my son's
> birthday and I remember it for that reason only.

Well, John, that means your son can sing:

"I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy
A Yankee Doodle, do or die
A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam
Born on the Fourth of July.

"I've got a Yankee Doodle sweetheart
She's my Yankee Doodle joy
Yankee Doodle came to London
Just to ride the ponies
I am the Yankee Doodle Boy."

by George M. Cohan (1904)

You can see it performed by Jimmy Cagney in the 1942 film, "Yankee
Doodle Dandy." Rent it and play it for your kid on his next
birthday ... he'll never forget you for it!!! ;-)

--Ward Hardman

"The older I get, the more I admire and crave competence,
just simple competence, in any field from adultery to zoology."
- H.L. Mencken

William Sommerwerck

Sep 10, 2009, 1:28:29 PM9/10/09
"John" <johnt...@ymail.com> wrote in message

"Set" usually means "composed", regardless of context.

John

Sep 10, 2009, 1:30:06 PM9/10/09

Thanks, Ward, that's a nice gesture. As my son will be 35 next 4th
July, I think it's more likely that he'll never *forgive* me for it!

BTW, we've both seen the film :-)

William Sommerwerck

Sep 10, 2009, 1:29:26 PM9/10/09
>> You've mean you've never heard Copland's setting
>> of folk songs? It's in there.

Whoops. I meant arrangements. Ouch.

John

Sep 10, 2009, 1:38:57 PM9/10/09
On Sep 10, 6:28 pm, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
wrote:
> "John" <johntat...@ymail.com> wrote in message

Yes, alright then. I suppose I had RVW and others in mind. They
collected folk songs which were originally sung unaccompanied, and
harmonised them, or "set" them to harmonies. Maybe it's an "English
thing", I really don't know!

John

Sep 10, 2009, 1:40:03 PM9/10/09
On Sep 10, 6:29 pm, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> >> You've mean you've never heard Copland's setting
> >> of folk songs? It's in there.
>
> Whoops. I meant arrangements. Ouch.

Don't be so hard on yourself :-)

Frank Berger

Sep 10, 2009, 1:58:24 PM9/10/09

Really? A jeweler "sets" a stone. He doesn't create it. Is the usage
different in music?

William Sommerwerck

Sep 10, 2009, 2:26:05 PM9/10/09
>>> You've mean you've never heard Copland's setting
>>> of folk songs? It's in there.

>> Whoops. I meant arrangements. Ouch.

> Don't be so hard on yourself :-)

Yes, but note my other posting...

William Sommerwerck

Sep 10, 2009, 2:28:23 PM9/10/09
>> "Set" usually means "composed", regardless of context.

> Really? A jeweler "sets" a stone. He doesn't create it.
> Is the usage different in music?

Now I'm not so sure.

Regardless, I should have said "arranged" in the original post, as that
usage is unambiguous.

When I have nothing better to do, I'll peruse the OED. "Set" takes up about
20 pages. (It has more meanings than any other English word.)

John

Sep 10, 2009, 2:41:35 PM9/10/09
On Sep 10, 7:28 pm, "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgee...@comcast.net>
wrote:

A quick look at Chambers English Dictionary revealed the following (I
ignored the first few entries) --

"...to dispose, array, arrange.....to compose or fit music to". Not
sure if that helps, but there it is anyway.

It is loading more messages.