Download: NGS sides by the Music Society Quartet (Barbirolli, cellist - 1925-26)

harpsichordian

Feb 10, 2008, 4:59:17 PM2/10/08
Hello all,

More NGS goodies this time, featuring John Barbirolli as cellist in
the Music Society String Quartet (the other members of which were
Andre Mangeot and Boris Pecker, violins, subsequently to form half of
the International String Quartet, and Henry J. Berly, viola). They
recorded a total of 15 sides for the National Gramophonic Society via
UK Parlophone, of which I have five. The details:

Eugene Goossens: Two Pieces for String Quartet, Op. 15 (1916: "By the
Tarn" and "Jack O' Lantern") - recorded May, 1925. "By the Tarn" was
issued on the B-side of 12" record DD (as the filler for the Brahms
Sextet in B-Flat, played by the augmented Spencer Dyke Quartet); "Jack
O' Lantern" was issued on the B-side of 10" record FF.

Orlando Gibbons: Fantasias Nos. 6 and 8 (originally for viols) -
recorded May, 1925. The A-side of 10" record FF.

Purcell: Four-Part Fantasia No. 4 in C minor (originally for viols) -
recorded February, 1926. On both sides of 10" record BBB.

The other 10 sides, which I do not, alas, have, contained three more
Purcell and two more Gibbons fantasias, McEwen's "Peat Reek" and (on 4
sides) Vaughan Williams' Fantasy Quintet.

Regrettably my copy of record FF has a quite noticeable crack about 1
inch in, the effects of which I have not been able to alleviate
entirely. I think the rarity of the record overrides such
considerations!

http://www.mediafire.com/?bs2znm4scfd

or

http://rapidshare.com/files/90761690/NGS-Purcell_Gibbons_Goossens.zip.html

Enjoy!

Best wishes,
Bryan Bishop

Bill Anderson

Feb 10, 2008, 8:46:10 PM2/10/08
Bryan -

More unusual and unique sides! Thank you.

IIRC the RVW Fantasy quintet may have been transferred and issued on
LP by the Barbirolli Society. Does anyone else remember this?
(Unfortunately I never joined the Society and if it was offered must
be long long OOP)

- Bill

thoren...@yahoo.com

Feb 11, 2008, 12:38:55 PM2/11/08
Again I am impressed.I recall trying to bid on three or four of the
Parlophone 78s,in a generic binder,on eBay a few years back.

Roger

Dontait...@aol.com

Feb 11, 2008, 5:06:04 PM2/11/08
On Feb 11, 11:38�am, "thorenstd...@yahoo.com" <thorenstd...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Again I am impressed.I recall trying to bid on three or four of the
> Parlophone 78s,in a generic binder,on eBay a few years back.
>
> Roger

What does Parlophone have to do with these National Gramophonic
Society records?

Don Tait

harpsichordian

Feb 11, 2008, 8:46:58 PM2/11/08

Parlophone actually did the recording and pressing (for some of them;
others were done by Columbia and Vocalion), though only the National
Gramophonic Society name appears on the labels.

Here's a link to a complete NGS discography:

http://www.tim78rpm.com/NGSdiscog.htm

Best wishes,
Bryan Bishop

Dontait...@aol.com

Feb 12, 2008, 2:14:26 PM2/12/08

Thank you, Bryan. I downloaded the discography some time ago, but am
grateful for your thoughtfulness.

My question had to do with how one could bid on recordings
apparently on the Parlophone label when only "National Gramophonic
Society" appears on the labels.

If I ever learn how to upload things I'll do the Vaughan Williams
work with Barbirolli as 'cellist, unless someone does it first. I came
into a fair number of NGS records some years ago.

Don Tait