A Letter from Joyce

1 view

Don Petter

Mar 9, 2007, 9:29:49 AM3/9/07
A fellow collector today gave me a photocopy of a letter which he is
happy for me to post to rmcr.

It is in reply to a letter he had written to Joyce Hatto regarding the
use of one of her recordings in his lecture to a local music group.

It is hand written and reads thus:

[quote]

18th March 2004

Dear Mr ******,

I am so pleased to have your letter & to know that you have enjoyed my
recording. Also I am amazed that you choose [sic] my recording for
your lecture.

My own favourite, concerning Rach II, is a televised 'prom' - Kissin &
Andrew Davis. It was quite suberb & there was a heartfelt response
from the audience & Rachmaninov would have loved it.

The Symphonic Variations is an exciting work to play - fistsful of
notes & much passion. The Brahms-Paganini I practised during the
Blitz. We had a munition factory near the house & when the danger
'overhead' signal hooted out - I dived under the piano. The neighbours
were not too pleased at my continuous practising, but life generally
was exciting!

I treasure your comments & thank you again.

With very best wishes - Joyce Hatto.

[unquote]

For the curious, I add that the writing is not the same hand as that
of Barrington-Coupe's signature on another (typrewritten) letter
received by the same friend and dated 23rd March 2004. The content of
this letter is about arranging to send a CD, with price and invoicing
details, and does not throw any extra light on the subject.

What does, maybe, throw some light is that the same collector has a
copy of the 'Hatto' Brahms First Concerto CD autographed by Joyce
Hatto (matching the signature on her above letter), which was received
from them at about the same time. This seems to imply that she was
indeed aware of the recordings being issued in her name.

Don.

Message has been deleted

Don Petter

Mar 10, 2007, 1:20:41 AM3/10/07
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:15:24 -0800, Sipow...@yahoo.com wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:29:49 GMT, don.petter*remove*@suk.sas.com (Don
>Petter) wrote:
>
>>What does, maybe, throw some light is that the same collector has a
>>copy of the 'Hatto' Brahms First Concerto CD autographed by Joyce
>>Hatto (matching the signature on her above letter), which was received
>>from them at about the same time. This seems to imply that she was
>>indeed aware of the recordings being issued in her name.
>

>Which does not mean that she was aware that they had been doctored or
>forged. She may have gone into a studio and recorded an effort that
>was not of a quality that allowed it to be released and her loving
>husband had done the forging all on his own.
>
>Or someone else signed the letter and the CD using her name.
>
>--
>Andrew

It is all subject to conjecture, but since it seems likely that the
orchestra in question and a sufficiently large recording venue didn't
actually exist, the indication is that she _knew_ that she hadn't
recorded the concerto.

Don.

Andrys Basten

Mar 10, 2007, 3:04:03 AM3/10/07
In article <45f24d7...@news.individual.de>,
Don Petter <don.petter*remove*@suk.sas.com> wrote:

>It is all subject to conjecture, but since it seems likely that the
>orchestra in question and a sufficiently large recording venue didn't
>actually exist, the indication is that she _knew_ that she hadn't
>recorded the concerto.

I mentioned earlier that there's always the remote possibility
that he had her record the solo portions and told her he would
merge it with the oft mentioned (by WB-C) off-union studio musicians
later. Her audio interviews include statements that she trusted his
ear and, herself, never listened to things but that she could never
"catch him out" as he always knew which pianist was playing on any
recording. Well, I suppose unless they were listening to the radio
that would be so, since he'd be the one who put on the recording.

An example I gave was of Bernstein's Candide recording (with
a real orchestra :-)) during which Jerry Hadley, the lead tenor
was unable to record with the orchestra and other soloists
because he had laryngitis. I think he went into the studio
about a week later and recorded his part alone and they merged
it in.

I did say this was a -remote- possibility, but it's there.

- A

--
http://www.andrys.com

Steve de Mena

Mar 10, 2007, 3:25:04 AM3/10/07

At this point I don't even consider it a remote
possibility. My feeling is *all* of the CA Hatto
CDs of recordings of the last 20 years or so are
100% fake (zero Joyce Hatto content) and that she
knew fully what was going on. Each iteration of
WB-C's "story" will evolve to become closer to
this scenario.

Steve

Andrej Kluge

Mar 10, 2007, 6:34:21 AM3/10/07

Andrys Basten schrieb:

> I mentioned earlier that there's always the remote possibility
> that he had her record the solo portions and told her he would
> merge it with the oft mentioned (by WB-C) off-union studio musicians
> later.

You mean she played to a Music-Minus-One CD under headphones? :-)

Ciao
A.

Andrew Rose

Mar 10, 2007, 6:59:58 AM3/10/07

And never wanted to discuss her interpretation with the conductor?

--
Andrew Rose - Pristine Classical

The online home of Classical Music: www.pristineclassical.com

Mar 10, 2007, 10:57:20 AM3/10/07
In article <55fje7F...@mid.individual.net>, Andrej Kluge
<kl...@wizzy.de> wrote:

And without the tick-tocks, too!

She must've been an incredible pianist! Oh, wait, it was only the
Brahms concerti - those would be easy to fluff in.

-Owen, who finds her incredible too.

Matthew B. Tepper

Mar 10, 2007, 11:03:40 AM3/10/07
Steve de Mena <ste...@stevedemena.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:45f26b61$0$28126$4c36...@roadrunner.com:

> At this point I don't even consider it a remote possibility. My feeling is
> *all* of the CA Hatto CDs of recordings of the last 20 years or so are 100%
> fake (zero Joyce Hatto content) and that she knew fully what was going on.
> Each iteration of WB-C's "story" will evolve to become closer to this
> scenario.

I agree. I wish his solicitor would just tell him to cut to the chase.

Harrington/Coy is a gay wrestler who won't come out of the closet

Andrys Basten

Mar 10, 2007, 10:30:13 PM3/10/07
In article <45f26b61$0$28126$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
Steve de Mena <ste...@stevedemena.com> wrote:

>Andrys Basten wrote:
>>
>> I mentioned earlier that there's always the remote possibility
>> that he had her record the solo portions and told her he would
>> merge it with the oft mentioned (by WB-C) off-union studio musicians
>> later. Her audio interviews include statements that she trusted his
>> ear and, herself, never listened to things but that she could never
>> "catch him out" as he always knew which pianist was playing on any
>> recording. Well, I suppose unless they were listening to the radio
>> that would be so, since he'd be the one who put on the recording.
>>
>> An example I gave was of Bernstein's Candide recording (with
>> a real orchestra :-)) during which Jerry Hadley, the lead tenor
>> was unable to record with the orchestra and other soloists
>> because he had laryngitis. I think he went into the studio
>> about a week later and recorded his part alone and they merged
>> it in.
>>
>> I did say this was a -remote- possibility, but it's there.
>>
>> - A
>
>At this point I don't even consider it a remote
>possibility. My feeling is *all* of the CA Hatto
>CDs of recordings of the last 20 years or so are
>100% fake (zero Joyce Hatto content)

I agree. In the very unlikely scenario I proposed as
a remote possibility, re "How could she not have known
about the concertos going out" it's just one way, but
just extremely unlikely. But I didn't mean that any
of the playing in the releases would be hers, only that
she might think it was, especially if she didn't listen
later. "Oh, my, they're doing very well, but I don't
remember playing it that way" :-)

And my own thinking of why he started this at all, with
the solo piano recordings is that she just wasn't playing
that well.

> and that she knew fully what was going on.

Almost certainly so.

dk

Mar 11, 2007, 4:13:05 AM3/11/07
On Mar 10, 3:59 am, Andrew Rose <and...@pristineaudio.com> wrote:
> Andrej Kluge wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Andrys Basten schrieb:
>
> >> I mentioned earlier that there's always the remote possibility
> >> that he had her record the solo portions and told her he would
> >> merge it with the oft mentioned (by WB-C) off-union studio musicians
> >> later.
>
> > You mean she played to a Music-Minus-One CD under headphones? :-)
>
> And never wanted to discuss her interpretation with the conductor?

And why bother? Conductors' opinions don't matter anyway... ;-)

dk

Andrys Basten

Mar 11, 2007, 9:57:18 AM3/11/07
In article <45f29dbf$0$25942$ba4a...@news.orange.fr>,
Andrew Rose <and...@pristineaudio.com> wrote:

>And never wanted to discuss her interpretation with the conductor?

If, as proposed (for an alternate universe event), she
played the solo portions first, and believed he was merging
the studio musicians with her recorded part, they'd have to
follow her :-)

Norman M. Schwartz

Mar 11, 2007, 12:31:58 PM3/11/07

"Andrys Basten" <and...@panix.com> wrote in message

If one's ill with a terminal disease, this might be one of the last things
on your mind.