Hatto Hexameron

Farhan Malik

Jul 30, 2007, 3:37:27 PM7/30/07
Hexameron has an interesting place in music history. Six of the
leading composers of the time (Liszt, Chopin, Thalberg, Herz, Czerny
and Pixis) were invited to write one variation each on the given
theme. Therefore it makes perfect sense that for the Hatto performance
three different pianists were enlisted for the recording (without
actually being formally invited, informed of their participation, or
credited in any way of course).

I have made available for download an mp3 file of the Hatto Hexameron
as I realize that the majority of people do not have access to this or
other Hatto recordings. With the audio file one can follow along if
interested and hear the edits and points mentioned below. Hatto's
Hexameron is divided into five sections played by the three different
pianists. People have asked whether it is noticeable when Hatto
switches from one pianist to another . With the mp3 file and the road
map I provide interested persons can now hear and judge for
themselves. The file is around 21MB and available from here for 7 days
or 100 downloads, whichever comes first. Also included in the download
is a text file that states both the time points and the measure
numbers where the switches take place.
http://download.yousendit.com/F3005B5B7FCED15F

Our journey through Hatto's Hexameron begins with Endre Hegedus on
Hungaroton, but he does not last even through the whole introduction.
He plays only for two minutes and four seconds and then we switch to
Francesco Nicolosi on Nuova Era. Nicolosi takes us from there almost
to the end of Variation 3. I say almost because at the very final
chord of variation 3 we abruptly switch to Oleg Marshev on Danacord.
Nicolosi rolls that final chord whereas Marshev plays it solid.
Apparently Hatto doesn't like a rolled chord there so we switch to
Marshev right on the final chord of variation 3. Marshev then takes us
through variations 3 and 4 and most of variation 5. However, Hatto is
faced with a dilemma in variation 4. Liszt clearly marks that the
second half of variation 4 is to be repeated, but Marshev does not
take that repeat. Thankfully, computer editing comes to the rescue and
with a simple cut and paste the second half of variation 4 is repeated
in the Hatto recording so we have an added in repeat by Marshev not
present in Marshev's actual recording on Danacord. Returning to the
road map, Marshev takes us to measure 271 and then at measure 272
Endre Hegedus makes a second appearance. Hegedus finishes off
variation 5, plays all of variation 6 and the opening section of the
finale. At measure 332 Francesco Nicolosi returns and plays until the
work concludes. To make the ending more impressive, some tempo
manipulation is used just for this final Nicolosi segment. The tempo
is sped up by 5%, which is really quite noticeable when compared to
the original Nicolosi performance.

So there you have it. 6 composers, 3 pianists, 1 digitally added
repeat, and a sped up final section.

Farhan

andrys

Aug 6, 2007, 11:01:28 PM8/6/07
On Jul 30, 12:37 pm, Farhan Malik <mal...@concentric.net> wrote:
> So there you have it. 6 composers, 3 pianists, 1 digitally added
> repeat, and a sped up final section.

Farhan, that is truly amazing work you're doing. Thanks for this.

I've not been keeping up the last few weeks but will update, including
your latest, and also note the new, thorough, website you have
in connection with all these explorations.

- Andrys
--
http://www.andrys.com/hatto.html

Farhan Malik

Aug 7, 2007, 11:18:52 AM8/7/07
I received a couple of requests for the Hexameron file since the
original link expired so I have uploaded it again. The new link is:
http://www.yousendit.com/download/ZUcxM25QYWIxUUEwTVE9PQ

Wav file analysis of the Hexameron can be found here:
http://www.farhanmalik.com/hatto/lisztopera2.html

My starting page for Joyce Hatto Identifications is here:
http://www.farhanmalik.com/hatto/main.html

Farhan