Xufei Yang 11/16

Richard Yates

Nov 16, 2009, 8:53:43 AM11/16/09
Lute Suite BWV 1006a - The concert started out almost awful. Lots of
unevenness of tempo at harder spots - that kind of pressing that happens
when not comfortable. Generally the tempos were too quick; no time to
breathe. The Loure was nicely ornamented, though.

Nocturne-Reverie Op. 19, Regondi - She started loosening up and had some
nice moments. Tremolo showed that the chops were there if not evident in
the Bach.

Sonata, Brouwer; The Chinese Garden, Goss; Espana, seis hojas de album, op.
165, Albeniz; Carnival of Venice, Tarrega - All very skillful, varied,
impressive, difficult, virtuosic, carefully shaped. Also not especially
engaging; very calculated and weighed rather than free. Meticulously
packaged expression with unlimited technique.

Encore: an Argentine Tango that she arranged. This one was great fun and
seemed to be the piece that she enjoyed playing the most.

The Smallman sounded clear and balanced but not rich.

Masterclass: Ugh. A 15 year old beginner plays Romanza. Xufei suggests that
she use a footstool and cut back her 3/4 inch fake nails. Tries to explain
vibrato with limited success. Then a college student tries Asturias. Quick
fingers on the repeated notes but it's still a couple of years away for
him. Maybe he was hoping for a miracle. Two more were scheduled but it was
too painful. I left and caught the last quarter of the Colts-Patriots game.

Steven Bornfeld

Nov 16, 2009, 9:05:11 AM11/16/09

Thanks for the report. I've wanted to catch her, but don't remember
her coming to NY. Sorry it seems to have been somewhat disappointing
overall.

S.

Richard Yates

Nov 16, 2009, 9:45:03 AM11/16/09

Well, sort of. Mostly just mixed. She is a technically fabulous player. May
have had an off night expressively.

JPD

Nov 16, 2009, 2:33:39 PM11/16/09

How was the turnout? And how was the venue? And the weather? It was
raining steadily here in the Gorge that day. Humidity can sometimes be
quite a problem and distraction. (I wonder how true that is for
Smallmans?)

Richard Yates

Nov 16, 2009, 3:27:21 PM11/16/09

It was at Willamette's Hudson Concert Hall - capacity 450 and was about 3/4
full. The hall is very good although its proximity to the train tracks can
intrude (except during the harmonica soloes).

Windy and almost stormy, but no rain - lots of negative ions in atmosphere.

As for the Smallman, it looked pretty beat up on the top. Three big areas
of nail scratches. I wonder if it is the one Williams gave her according to
the legend. The tone might have been affected by the reverse Coriolis Force
compared to the Southern hemisphere, but I think the humidity was not high.

Antony

Nov 20, 2009, 7:48:34 PM11/20/09
I don't see the point of having a loud guitar (which ends up being miked
anyway) with no tonal range and with a life-span of 5 years!

"Richard Yates" <ric...@yatesguitar.com> wrote in message