S.Taylor's "Now the Truth...."

Douglas C Pearson

Feb 27, 1995, 9:42:50 AM2/27/95
note: i have no information, pro or con, regarding the out-of-print nature of
_now_the_truth_can_be_told_.

Jerry B. Ray <vap...@prism.gatech.edu> wrote:
>I don't have any information to speak of, but what you say about
>the box set _sounds_ kinda bogus to me. First, with all of Steve's
>stuff coming _back_ into print, why would the box set be yanked, only
>to be reissued. Also, why do a rewrite of the booklet, when it's already
>just about the best "retrospective" booklet I've ever seen, from a secular
>or Christian label release?

my dear JRjr, you give the christian music industry WAY too much credit. the
truth is that the box set was done TOO WELL. the label's recalling it to be
certain that it measures up to industry standards.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

chuck
--
"clueless chuck" aka douglas c pearson jr -- dope...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
osu biophysics program -- t -1 month until daddyhood!!

GIMMA A CUP OF COFFEE AND I'LL TELL YOU A STORY

Feb 27, 1995, 9:48:05 AM2/27/95
In article <3irejb$5...@acmex.gatech.edu>, vap...@prism.gatech.edu (Jerry B. Ray) writes:
>>I heard today that the Steve Taylor Box "Now the Truth..." has been
>>taken out of print and is no longer available.
>
> I don't have any information to speak of, but what you say about
> the box set _sounds_ kinda bogus to me. First, with all of Steve's
> stuff coming _back_ into print, why would the box set be yanked, only
> to be reissued. Also, why do a rewrite of the booklet, when it's already
> just about the best "retrospective" booklet I've ever seen, from a secular
> or Christian label release?
>
> JRjr
> --
>
> ##### vap...@prism.gatech.EDU ######## Jerry B. Ray, Jr. ################

I thought it sounded 'bogus' as well, and had all of the same questions you
did. that is why i posted the letter. however, I heard this from a friend who
works for the local Christian Bookstore and who said they can no longer order
the set. she said it is no longer "in print" and said she heard they were re-
doing the insert. anyway, i was hoping someone out there may have a more
"inside" connection who would know what was going on.
eric

John Cristion

Feb 27, 1995, 12:03:38 PM2/27/95

In article <3isoda$o...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
<dope...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> note: i have no information, pro or con, regarding the out-of-print nature
of
> _now_the_truth_can_be_told_.
>
> Jerry B. Ray <vap...@prism.gatech.edu> wrote:
> >I don't have any information to speak of, but what you say about
> >the box set _sounds_ kinda bogus to me. First, with all of Steve's
> >stuff coming _back_ into print, why would the box set be yanked, only
> >to be reissued. Also, why do a rewrite of the booklet, when it's already
> >just about the best "retrospective" booklet I've ever seen, from a secular
> >or Christian label release?
>
> my dear JRjr, you give the christian music industry WAY too much credit. the
> truth is that the box set was done TOO WELL. the label's recalling it to be
> certain that it measures up to industry standards.
>
> 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
8-)

> chuck

Boy am I glad I ready got my copy. Who knows what they will cut out of the
liner notes. He didn't have anything about praying naked in there, did he?

Oh no! What about that disco stuff?
Or giving up hope?
Or that cloning stuff?
And he had some "secular" stuff in there too!

Oh my! They're going to can the whole thing!

8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^)

John

GIMMA A CUP OF COFFEE AND I'LL TELL YOU A STORY

Feb 27, 1995, 7:10:00 PM2/27/95
In article <3isoda$o...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, dope...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Douglas C Pearson) writes:
> note: i have no information, pro or con, regarding the out-of-print nature of
> _now_the_truth_can_be_told_.
>

> my dear JRjr, you give the christian music industry WAY too much credit. the
> truth is that the box set was done TOO WELL. the label's recalling it to be
> certain that it measures up to industry standards.
>
> 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
>
> chuck
> --
I've been following up my own question. here is what i have found so far.
Steve himself decided to re-write the insert/booklet and is taking his time
about it. as said by JRjr, it was a pretty good booklet, but maybe ST will
give even more insight and fun in the new addition, though the business sense
of the whole thing alludes me.
what happens if they DO put out an even better insert? my best guess is ST
will be accused of making a pact with the devil, again turning him from the
Christian music scene. (the sad thing is, that doesn't sound that crazy).
eric

Jerry B. Ray

Feb 28, 1995, 9:40:32 AM2/28/95
In article <1995Feb27.1...@bsuvc.bsu.edu> 00es...@bsuvc.bsu.edu (GIMMA A CUP OF COFFEE AND I'LL TELL YOU A STORY) writes:

>what happens if they DO put out an even better insert?

I guess I'll just have to go buy another copy of the box set...

(Hey, multiple copies of Steve Taylor stuff is better than single copies
of, say, Clay Crosse...)

JRjr
--
'Summer's going fast, nights growing colder
Children growing up, old friends growing older

Dave Rosborough

Feb 28, 1995, 11:50:03 AM2/28/95
> Boy am I glad I ready got my copy. Who knows what they will cut out of the
> liner notes. He didn't have anything about praying naked in there, did he?
>
> Oh no! What about that disco stuff?
> Or giving up hope?
> Or that cloning stuff?
> And he had some "secular" stuff in there too!
>
> Oh my! They're going to can the whole thing!
>
> 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^) 8^)
>
> John

I hope not! I've had it on order since early December - it's no longer
available in Canada... they better reissue it! I don't wanna have to
buy the casette version instead of the CD's...

Dave

JessRae

Feb 28, 1995, 3:29:57 PM2/28/95
No fair. You mean I spend $25 on it the first time and now I'm expected
to buy it again? And I know I will...

Jess

Mattias G. Hembruch

Mar 1, 1995, 12:18:53 PM3/1/95

GIMMA A CUP OF COFFEE AND I'LL TELL YOU A STORY <00es...@bsuvc.bsu.edu> wrote:
>I've been following up my own question. here is what i have found so far.
>Steve himself decided to re-write the insert/booklet and is taking his time
>about it. as said by JRjr, it was a pretty good booklet, but maybe ST will
>give even more insight and fun in the new addition, though the business sense
>of the whole thing alludes me.
>what happens if they DO put out an even better insert? my best guess is ST
>will be accused of making a pact with the devil, again turning him from the
>Christian music scene. (the sad thing is, that doesn't sound that crazy).
>eric

I guess the REAL question is: What about us guys who put our order in early,
GOT a CD copy of it and now, there's a better one out.. Is there an upgrade
path? Should we let Microsoft handle this thing so that I will feel like
I'm actually getting better music because of the better insert and the old
CD's are not as good, so I'll plunk down another $35+ CAN??? :)

Mattias
--
Mattias Hembruch, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
BASc Computer Engineering

Peter Thomas Chattaway

Mar 2, 1995, 3:33:27 PM3/2/95
Jerry B. Ray (vap...@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:

: I guess I'll just have to go buy another copy of the box set...

Yeah, and with any luck, he'll remember to include some of the more
obscure songs, like the ones that haven't been released on CD yet (`Not
Gonna Fall Away', for example) ...

Jerry B. Ray

Mar 3, 1995, 12:52:32 AM3/3/95
In article <3j5a2n$r...@nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca> pet...@unixg.ubc.ca (Peter Thomas Chattaway) writes:

>Yeah, and with any luck, he'll remember to include some of the more
>obscure songs, like the ones that haven't been released on CD yet (`Not
>Gonna Fall Away', for example) ...

What ever happened to the rumored reissue of _Limelight_ on CD, or the
live EP from the _Squint_ tour, or that Chagall Guevara retrospective?

I do wish that the Chagall b-side "Still Know Your Number By Heart" would
be reissued in some easy-to-obtain form, like the box set.

Peter Thomas Chattaway

Mar 3, 1995, 9:18:54 PM3/3/95
Jerry B. Ray (vap...@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:

: >Yeah, and with any luck, he'll remember to include some of the more

: >obscure songs, like the ones that haven't been released on CD yet (`Not
: >Gonna Fall Away', for example) ...

: What ever happened to the rumored reissue of _Limelight_ on CD, or the
: live EP from the _Squint_ tour, or that Chagall Guevara retrospective?

A retrospective after only one album? Oy vey ... :) Incidentally, the
`Not Gonna Fall Away' I was thinking of wasn't the `Limelight' version,
but the studio version recorded for the `Transatlantic Remixes' EP (the
one with the extended mix of `This Disco' that later showed up on the
`Best We Could Find' CD).

: I do wish that the Chagall b-side "Still Know Your Number By Heart" would

: be reissued in some easy-to-obtain form, like the box set.

Ditto.

Steve Drees

Mar 6, 1995, 11:26:42 PM3/6/95
Jerry B. Ray (vap...@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:
: What ever happened to the rumored reissue of _Limelight_ on CD, or the

: live EP from the _Squint_ tour, or that Chagall Guevara retrospective?

The Live EP has been bumped up to a 10 song full-length live CD.
(According to RMR it's titled "Liver".)

: JRjr
--
Steve Drees : KADU Real Radio 90 : Drive Time DJ : 218.263.3000 (O)
dr...@uslink.net : 12104 Old Hwy 169 : Music Director : 218.263.6752 (F)

Andrew D. Taylor

Mar 11, 1995, 11:36:50 AM3/11/95

In article <3jkric$1c...@sernews.raleigh.ibm.com>,
Brendt Waters <bre...@vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>Steve Drees <dr...@uslink.net> wrote:
>> [Steve Taylor's] Live EP has been bumped up to a 10 song full-length

>> live CD. (According to RMR it's titled "Liver".)
>
>Cool!! Leave it to our good friend, Steve, to mess with those poor DJ's
>minds with an ambiguously-pronounced album title.
>
>Gee, if they can stretch it out to two CD's, the second one can be
>called "Onions". ;-)

Only if it isn't pronounced "Live-er". RMR said that there was some
uncertanty as to whether it was pronounced that way or after the bile
producing organ.

Later,
__ __
/_/\/\ Andrew D. Taylor CHRI /\/\_\
\_\ / Mech. Eng. Carleton University Song For You - CKCU-FM 93.1 \ /_/
/_/ \ Ottawa, Ontario / \_\
\_\/\ \ af...@freenet.carleton.ca / /\/_/
\_\/ http://freenet3.scri.fsu.edu:81/users/adtaylor \/_/

SoylentT

Mar 13, 1995, 4:49:49 AM3/13/95
Ooh, this is fun! I can answer all questions without licking a single
stamp.
Yes, the "Now The Truth..." booklet is being reprinted, but only for one
reason: During film output certain type overlapped, particularly when
using the letter "F" followed by certain other letters (example: in "A
Principled Man" the lyrics "under a flag" become "under a fag," etc.)
Additionally, the inside front and back cover pages were inadvertently
left blank. Neither problem was discovered by Sparrow's art department
until it was too late. I begged Sparrow for a reprint, but they told me to
actually recall the entire first shipment would be far too costly. They
did, however, graciously agree to reprint future shipments, and to replace
any books that were defective. If any of you have trouble getting yours
replaced, send me an SASE (as a last resort, perhaps? otherwise I may have
to cut down my online hours...): ST, PO Box 150669, Nashville, TN 37215.
I'll do my best, although promptness is not one of my strong suits these
days.

By the way, Jerry, "Not Gonna Fall Away" from the Transatlantic
Meow Mix album will be reissued over my cold, dead, lifeless,
pestilence-ridden, buzzard-pecked, one-hour-Martinized bones. In fact, I'm
probably willing to pay for copies to destroy during my leisure hours,
although burning them causes the neighborhood to reek of molten sap.
But thanks for the suggestion.

"Still Know Your Number By Heart," on the other hand, will be reissued as
soon as the inner circle can agree on an appropriate format (Lynn had
suggested a box set shaped like a coffin...).

Re. the "liver" pronunciation discussion, therein lies the beauty of the
title, don't you agree?

Your friend,
Steve Taylor

Jerry B. Ray

Mar 13, 1995, 12:17:18 PM3/13/95
In article <3k14ft$6...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> soyl...@aol.com (SoylentT) writes:

>By the way, Jerry, "Not Gonna Fall Away" from the Transatlantic
>Meow Mix album will be reissued over my cold, dead, lifeless,
>pestilence-ridden, buzzard-pecked, one-hour-Martinized bones.

So how do you _really_ feel? :-) Actually, I'm not the guy who wanted
"Not Gonna Fall Away" reissued, I'm the guy who wanted _Limelight_
reissued on CD. Any news on that front? Some of the live versions
were better than the album versions, like "Colour Code."

Kevin Shafer

Mar 13, 1995, 1:51:21 PM3/13/95
In article <3k14ft$6...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, soyl...@aol.com (SoylentT) writes:
> Ooh, this is fun! I can answer all questions without licking a single
> stamp.
Steve, you can now get self-sticking stamps...

> Yes, the "Now The Truth..." booklet is being reprinted, but only for one
> reason: During film output certain type overlapped, particularly when
> using the letter "F" followed by certain other letters (example: in "A
> Principled Man" the lyrics "under a flag" become "under a fag," etc.)
> Additionally, the inside front and back cover pages were inadvertently
> left blank. Neither problem was discovered by Sparrow's art department
> until it was too late. I begged Sparrow for a reprint, but they told me to
> actually recall the entire first shipment would be far too costly. They
> did, however, graciously agree to reprint future shipments, and to replace
> any books that were defective. If any of you have trouble getting yours
> replaced, send me an SASE (as a last resort, perhaps? otherwise I may have

What would be the first method of getting a replacement?

Kevin

Peter Thomas Chattaway

Lorenz M. Schmiege, III

Mar 14, 1995, 5:24:00 PM3/14/95
In article <3k14ft$6...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, soyl...@aol.com (SoylentT)
writes...

>By the way, Jerry, "Not Gonna Fall Away" from the Transatlantic
>Meow Mix album will be reissued over my cold, dead, lifeless,
>pestilence-ridden, buzzard-pecked, one-hour-Martinized bones. In fact, I'm
>probably willing to pay for copies to destroy during my leisure hours,
>although burning them causes the neighborhood to reek of molten sap.
>But thanks for the suggestion.

So... why wasn't "Nero" on your compilation album? What is your cute, little
nickname for the album on which "Nero" was originally?

>"Still Know Your Number By Heart," on the other hand, will be reissued as
>soon as the inner circle can agree on an appropriate format (Lynn had
>suggested a box set shaped like a coffin...).

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Lorenz M. Schmiege, III
former Clone Club member

SoylentT

Mar 18, 1995, 3:51:26 AM3/18/95
The first method is to return it to Sparrow, who now have the new booklets
in stock.

SoylentT

Mar 18, 1995, 3:52:55 AM3/18/95
A cursory listen will give you your answer.

Jerry B. Ray

Mar 18, 1995, 4:42:45 PM3/18/95
In article <3ke6ue$8...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> soyl...@aol.com (SoylentT) writes:
>The first method is to return it to Sparrow, who now have the new booklets
>in stock.

To further drag this out-does anyone have an address to mail this to at
Sparrow? And do we _have_ to give back the old booklet? That printing
error led to some interesting lyrics-"Under a fag, we swore a bond..."