chagall guevara

Chip Howard

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
Forgive my ignorance... for it is huge. I have listened to people
mention a group named Chagall Guevara but never knew anything about
them. Suddenly... I realize that this was the group that Steve Taylor
was supposed to be a part of *lightbulbs over the head*. Am I right? If
so, what was the name of their CD? I was planning on looking them up
anyway (interesting name for a band... I'll listen to anyone that has a
clever title) so I was wondering if someone could tell me who they signed
with (record label), if it is still available, is it thumbs up or down
(not that this will determine whether I buy it or not... it just might
influence me a bit), who was in the group, why they broke up. Any info on
this band is appreciated.

Thank you. My address is:
cho...@salus.med.uvm.edu

-Chip

--
-I get weary
Lord, I don't understand

Chip Howard
cho...@moose.uvm.edu
cho...@salus.med.uvm.edu

Logan Shaw

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
In article <1995Jul14.2...@emba.uvm.edu>,

Chip Howard <cho...@med.uvm.edu> wrote:
>Forgive my ignorance... for it is huge. I have listened to people
>mention a group named Chagall Guevara but never knew anything about
>them. Suddenly... I realize that this was the group that Steve Taylor
>was supposed to be a part of *lightbulbs over the head*. Am I right?

In the immortal words of the Texas Instruments Speak 'n' Spell,
"YOU ARE RIGHT".

> If so, what was the name of their CD?

It was eponymous, i.e. it was just called "Chagall Guevara".

> I was planning on looking them up
>anyway (interesting name for a band... I'll listen to anyone that has a
>clever title) so I was wondering if someone could tell me who they signed
>with (record label),

MCA.

> if it is still available,

It's out of print. Used copies are somewhat rare, but not rare as
(say) copies of Leslie Phillips' "The Turning".

> is it thumbs up or down
>(not that this will determine whether I buy it or not... it just might
>influence me a bit),

Thumbs up. It isn't the best album ever recorded or anything, but it was
still pretty darned good.

> who was in the group,

Wade Jaynes: bass
Mike Mead: drums
L. Arthur Nichols: guitar, vocals [same as Lynn Nichols who has
appeared with Phil Keaggy (among others), I assume]
Dave Perkins: guitar, vocals
Steve Taylor: vocals

> why they broke up.

I think the story was that Steve Taylor decided that, although he was
disillusioned with the Christian music industry, he found that (for him)
the secular music industry was even worse. (And/or maybe the record
didn't sell very well.) It wasn't so much that they broke up -- check the
credits for "Squint" and you'll find many of the same names.

- Logan
--
"I was standin' at the corner / Of Houston and Lee T-Bone
Old lady walked up to me / Tried to help me cross the street Burnett

Douglas C Pearson

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
some of this is in the FAQ, the rest in the QRSTUV. but...

the album is called _chagall_guevara_, MCA records, catalog MCAD-10170.

the band is:
wade jaynes - bass
mike mead - drums
l. arthur nichols - guitar, vocals
dave perkins - guitar, vocals
steve taylor - vocals

with horns on "play god" by the blind willy boner brass*
reno caruso - trumpet
waco caruso - harmonica
junior - trombone

*the blind willy boner brass is available at reasonable rates for all your
entertainment needs, including weddings, bar mitzvahs and proms. ask about our
funeral package. for booking information contact: blind willy boner brass,
600 farm road, kalistell, montana 99901.

these are among the most obscure and the best lyrics steve taylor has ever had
any part of. it's not immediately obvious what he penned and what he didn't,
since the front of the album says "all songs written by nichols, perkins and
taylor." but the songs are incredible.

rolling stone gave the album four stars and compared the band to early clash,
which steve lists as one of his career highlights.

the band broke up, essentially, 'cause mca never got behind the album like they
should have and it wound up not selling well at all. it got on a few playlists
just on merit alone, but that's it. mca got out of their contract with the
band, and that was the ball game.

i, for one, hope they get back together someday. they're the closest thing to
a supergroup (in both senses of the word) that Christian music has ever had...

chuck
--
chuck pearson - dope...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
osu biophysics program, bio113 head ta, daddy of amelia catherine pearson.

Chip Howard

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
Can anyone supply me with info on this group?
Can anyone show me where I can get info on this group?
Is ignorance truly bliss?
Do two plus two always equal four... or can they equal five (that was for
all those English majors out there... which book did that come from and
when was it written... by whom?)?

Seriously though... I don't want to beat ya'll over the head with this
question about who chagall guevara was/is or how to get some info on
them... but the local Christian bookstore doesn't have any of their CD's
(CD) and doesn't know anything about them so I'd have to special order
it. Is it worth it? Please help.

-Chip

Douglas C Pearson

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Chip Howard <cho...@med.uvm.edu> wrote:
>Seriously though... I don't want to beat ya'll over the head with this
>question about who chagall guevara was/is or how to get some info on
>them... but the local Christian bookstore doesn't have any of their CD's
>(CD) and doesn't know anything about them so I'd have to special order
>it. Is it worth it? Please help.

(1) there's only one chagall CD.
(2) if your local Friendly Neighborhood Christian Bookstore (tm) is going to be
able to track down this album at all, they'll track down the sparrow records
release of it (with the sticker on the front saying "check me out and see what
STEVE TAYLOR'S been up to!), which is a rare find. probably what you're going
to have to do is run by all the music shops in your local mall [do they even
_have_ malls in vermont??? 8-) ] and search the cutout bins for the mca
records release. or special-order from your FNCBS (tm).
(3) it's worth it. oh man, is it worth it. the disc sounds fresh every time
i listen to it. truly this is steve taylor's potential realized. (now if he'd
just do another like it...)

Jerry B. Ray

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
In article <3u9o21$g...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> dope...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Douglas C Pearson) writes:

>(1) there's only one Chagall CD

...plus that song, "Tale O' The Twister" from the _Pump Up The Volume_
movie soundtrack, and "Treasure of the Broken Land" from the Mark Heard
tribute album. And an unreleased b-side from the European "Violent Blue"
CD Single.

>probably what you're going
>to have to do is run by all the music shops in your local mall [do they even
>_have_ malls in vermont??? 8-) ] and search the cutout bins for the mca
>records release. or special-order from your FNCBS (tm).

...but keep in mind that the CD is WAY out of print, so stumbling on it
is going to require a small miracle.

>(3) it's worth it. oh man, is it worth it. the disc sounds fresh every time
>i listen to it. truly this is steve taylor's potential realized. (now if he'd
>just do another like it...)

Hmmm, I dunno... I don't like the Chagall CD at all, and I'm not even much
of a fan of _Squint_. John's gonna kill me, but I like his older stuff,
especially _I Predict 1990_, much better.

JRjr
--
'Summer's going fast, nights growing colder
Children growing up, old friends growing older

Kent L. McCorkle

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
On 16 Jul 1995, Douglas C Pearson wrote:

> Chip Howard <cho...@med.uvm.edu> wrote:
> >Seriously though... I don't want to beat ya'll over the head with this
> >question about who chagall guevara was/is or how to get some info on
> >them... but the local Christian bookstore doesn't have any of their CD's
> >(CD) and doesn't know anything about them so I'd have to special order
> >it. Is it worth it? Please help.
>
> (1) there's only one chagall CD.
> (2) if your local Friendly Neighborhood Christian Bookstore (tm) is going to be
> able to track down this album at all, they'll track down the sparrow records
> release of it (with the sticker on the front saying "check me out and see what

> STEVE TAYLOR'S been up to!), which is a rare find. probably what you're going

> to have to do is run by all the music shops in your local mall [do they even
> _have_ malls in vermont??? 8-) ] and search the cutout bins for the mca
> records release. or special-order from your FNCBS (tm).

> (3) it's worth it. oh man, is it worth it. the disc sounds fresh every time
> i listen to it. truly this is steve taylor's potential realized. (now if he'd
> just do another like it...)

I couldn't agree more. My good buddy John Warren loaned this CD to me
several weeks ago and I've hoarded it ever since! I wish they'd do
another like this, it's fantastic. I didn't realize it was so hard to
get though, guess I better get busy trying to find it for myself!

+==============================================================+
| Kent L. McCorkle | Auburn University |
| mcc...@mail.auburn.edu | http://www.auburn.edu/~mccorke |
+==============================================================+

Jeroen J-W Tiggelman

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
In article <1995Jul15.2...@emba.uvm.edu>,

Chip Howard <cho...@med.uvm.edu> wrote:
>Can anyone supply me with info on this group?
>Can anyone show me where I can get info on this group?

To both: undoubtedly, but not me. ;)

>Is ignorance truly bliss?

Hmm.. how do I test that?

>Do two plus two always equal four... or can they equal five (that was for
>all those English majors out there... which book did that come from and
>when was it written... by whom?)?

C'mon.. you just can't ask those English majors... I mean.. they're
_stupid_. You are referring to Eric Blaire's (aka George Orwell's)
"1984" which was written in 1948 (and published in '49), right?

--
--Jeroen------------------------------------------------------
Tigg...@StPC.WI.LeidenUniv.NL JTig...@WI.LeidenUniv.NL

TimMetzger

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
sg...@iti2.net (MrShawn) writes:
>So do I gather correctly that Chagall Guevara never did a second
>album??
You are correct.

>Has Steve Taylor done a solo project since? I thought I heard that he
>had.
That would be _Squint_.

>Now, here's a question: Chagall Guevara appears to be the conjoining
>of Marc Chagall and Che Guevara. These are two of the more prominent
>Mexican-Americans of the 20th century. Why the tribute? Someone in
>the band of Chicano heritage? Is Steve Taylor of Chicano heritage??!!

um, Marc Chagall was a Russian artist. (Jewish I think) His paintings
are pretty good if you like blue cows, upside down houses, people floating
around and such.

>And while I'm here, does anyone know about King's X? What have they
>done since _Dogman_ ??
They are going into the studio around the end of this month sometime.

TimMetzger "My Mother said it was okay"
tmet...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu -ChagallGuevara-

MrShawn

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
So do I gather correctly that Chagall Guevara never did a second
album??

Has Steve Taylor done a solo project since? I thought I heard that he
had.

Now, here's a question: Chagall Guevara appears to be the conjoining
of Marc Chagall and Che Guevara. These are two of the more prominent
Mexican-Americans of the 20th century. Why the tribute? Someone in
the band of Chicano heritage? Is Steve Taylor of Chicano heritage??!!

And while I'm here, does anyone know about King's X? What have they
done since _Dogman_ ??

--------------
If anyone else but you called me bucko, well then, there would be a heap of trouble...

Jojo

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
cho...@med.uvm.edu (Chip Howard) wrote:

>Do two plus two always equal four... or can they equal five (that was for
>all those English majors out there... which book did that come from and
>when was it written... by whom?)?

Two plus two equals five for significantly large values of two.
--
Matthew "Jojo" Prins
mr...@iastate.edu

"It's me I would label out of the ordinary."--Matt Slocum (Sixpence None the
Richer"

MrShawn

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
tmet...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (TimMetzger ) wrote:

>>Now, here's a question: Chagall Guevara appears to be the conjoining
>>of Marc Chagall and Che Guevara. These are two of the more prominent
>>Mexican-Americans of the 20th century. Why the tribute? Someone in
>>the band of Chicano heritage? Is Steve Taylor of Chicano heritage??!!

>um, Marc Chagall was a Russian artist. (Jewish I think) His paintings

>are pretty good if you like blue cows, upside down houses, people floating
>around and such.

Oops. Here's the public apology for potentially starting an
unnecessary rumour. Yeah, you are right. Marc Chagall =
Russian-Jewish painter and stained glass artist. What a damned I feel
myself to be...

Now I'll have to remember what I was doing when the thought first
occured to me that Chagall was a Mexican Impressionist artist. Must
have been several days old pizza...

Douglas C Pearson

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
Kent L. McCorkle <mcc...@mail.auburn.edu> wrote:
> I couldn't agree more. My good buddy John Warren loaned this CD to me
>several weeks ago and I've hoarded it ever since! I wish they'd do
>another like this, it's fantastic. I didn't realize it was so hard to
>get though, guess I better get busy trying to find it for myself!

that's why i got mine the first time i saw it. 8-)

and kent, would you tell your good buddy john warren to GET HIS REAR END BACK
ON THE NET? he has entirely too many ccm clues to be wasting away just
teaching mathematics for the rest of his life...8-)

and all you people who don't get _chagall_guevara_...listen again,

Christopher C Parks

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
Clueless Chuck wrote nice things about somebody named John Warren, and then
John Streck chimed in.

I can tell who the real r.m.c. cyber-fogies :) are when they start
reminiscing about the folks who have left r.m.c. I subscribed a little
more than a year ago, so I can remember Andy Whitman, but I was too late
to catch any of John Warren's wit and wisdom.

So how long have the rest of you folks been subscribers? I recognize
(in no particular order) Jerry Ray, Ed Rock, Jeroen, Clive, Tony Bowden,
Darren Aitcheson (sp?), Logan Shaw, and Rob Davis as frequent posters
when I first subscribed. Oh, yeah...and Neuros, and Matrix too... where did
you go? I still see Rob Szarka chiming in from time to time: I remember
him as Mr. Noise.

peace,
chris

J. Streck

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
dope...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Douglas C Pearson) writes:

>and kent, would you tell your good buddy john warren to GET HIS REAR END BACK
>ON THE NET? he has entirely too many ccm clues to be wasting away just
>teaching mathematics for the rest of his life...8-)

I second that. Not to wax nostalgic, but I can remember when John was the
number one bandwidth wasting loudmouth (tm) in this here community and his
presence has been sorely missed. Besides, anyone who lets me borrow his
old issues of the Harvest Rock Syndicate for some 18 months without
complaining is okay by me.

>and all you people who don't get _chagall_guevara_...listen again,

I second that, too.

Unusually agreeable...

john streck
jst...@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu

Miguel Melo

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
dope...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Douglas C Pearson) wrote:
> to have to do is run by all the music shops in your local mall [do they even
> _have_ malls in vermont??? 8-) ] and search the cutout bins for the mca
> records release. or special-order from your FNCBS (tm).

That's how I got mine. When I went to Dublin (Republic of Ireland)
it was on the SALE shelf, and I got it for just a little more than
$3... :)

> (3) it's worth it. oh man, is it worth it. the disc sounds fresh every time
> i listen to it. truly this is steve taylor's potential realized. (now if he'd
> just do another like it...)

Hmmm.... actually, I think I like Steve Taylor per se better.
I predict 1990 is a better album, IMO.

Still ChGu is surelly worth the buy (but stop calling me Shirley :)

Miguel

Kent L. McCorkle

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
On Mon, 17 Jul 1995, MrShawn wrote:

> So do I gather correctly that Chagall Guevara never did a second
> album??

They only did the one album unfortunately.

> Has Steve Taylor done a solo project since? I thought I heard that he
> had.

Yup, _Squint_ came out after it I believe.

> Now, here's a question: Chagall Guevara appears to be the conjoining
> of Marc Chagall and Che Guevara. These are two of the more prominent
> Mexican-Americans of the 20th century. Why the tribute? Someone in
> the band of Chicano heritage? Is Steve Taylor of Chicano heritage??!!

Here's what I heard: Since Guevara was a revolutionary and Chagall
an artist, the idea was the band would be making "Revolutionary Art". =)

> And while I'm here, does anyone know about King's X? What have they
> done since _Dogman_ ??

Dunno.

> --------------
> If anyone else but you called me bucko, well then, there would be a heap of trouble...

+==============================================================+

Jerry B. Ray

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
In article <3uh94n$v...@uwm.edu> cc...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Christopher C Parks) writes:
>So how long have the rest of you folks been subscribers? I recognize
>(in no particular order) Jerry Ray, Ed Rock, etc.

Woo-hoo! I'm number 1! I'm number 1! :-)

(What's that? "no particular order"? Oh, well... :-)

I've been here since the start (actually, since _before_ the start. I
voted "yes." :-) Everybody sing! "We built this newsgroup! We built
this newsgroup on rock and roll!"

Forget I just did that.

Poor Old Steve <><

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
sg...@iti2.net (MrShawn) wrote:
> Now, here's a question: Chagall Guevara appears to be the conjoining
> of Marc Chagall and Che Guevara. These are two of the more prominent
> Mexican-Americans of the 20th century. Why the tribute? Someone in
> the band of Chicano heritage? Is Steve Taylor of Chicano heritage??!!

Actually, Chagall was a russian painter and you can check out one
of his works at

http://lyra.medizin.uni-ulm.de/ufb.html/art/chagall.gif

Guevara was a Cuban communist, check out the Guevara home
page (seriously) at

http://intercom.net/user/candide/guevara.html

I'm real proud of my sources (duh.. I can use webcrawler)

poor old steve <><

luke yang

Jul 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/19/95
it's still nice to know that my fellow guevarians are still out there.
here is a travia for you all, just to keep you all continue talking
about this great band.

what was the release date for chagall guevara's release?

yours,
luke yang

Tony Bowden

Jul 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/19/95
Christopher C Parks (cc...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu) wrote:
> So how long have the rest of you folks been subscribers? I recognize
> (in no particular order) Jerry Ray, Ed Rock, Jeroen, Clive, Tony Bowden,
> Darren Aitcheson (sp?), Logan Shaw, and Rob Davis as frequent posters
> when I first subscribed. Oh, yeah...and Neuros, and Matrix too... where did
> you go? I still see Rob Szarka chiming in from time to time: I remember
> him as Mr. Noise.

Ooooh ... lemme see now ...

I remember the hassle I had discovering USENET back in the days before the
net really took off in the UK ... must be about 4 and half years now ... we
never had a newsfeed here but I found laUNChpad as a place where I could read,
although to post you had to snailmail them, and I never got around to that.
I did get around to registering with Youngstown freenet eventually, and could
post from there, but they had a terrible interface to news (at least laUNCHpad
had rn [oh, the days before threaded newsreaders .....]). Then I discovered
mail->news gateways for a while, and then some of us decided to get trn down
and compile it ourselves when it came out... Then of course we had to find
an open news-site ... Most of the open news-sites we found had a lifespan of
about 3-4 months before they closed down and we had to find another ... these
days its practically impossible to find any that allow posting...

Early this year our university got its own newsfeed, but they only carry
articles for about 2 days, so I now read news from Germany, and post from
QUB :)

rmc was one of the first groups that I started reading regularly, so I can
remember quite a lot of people ... Good to see 3 qubbers in the list above
too ... (Me, Clive and Darren [who's about to post to claim that he's not
a qubber any more ....]) :)

Tony
Tony Bowden | Mail: t.bo...@qub.ac.uk or aj...@yfn.ysu.edu
Belfast | URL : http://boris.qub.ac.uk/tony/ for Matthew Fox, Manics,
N. Ireland | Sam Phillips, Jack T Chick, Innocence Mission
to every solution there is a simple problem..............
.......and it's usually wrong

John A. Cristion PDP

Jul 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/19/95
In article <3uhsi1$n...@ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>,

Is this a trick question?
1991

John

Jojo

Jul 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/19/95
ly...@ix.netcom.com (luke yang ) wrote:

>it's not a trick question, but i'm looking for the exact date, not just
>the year. anyone...
Well, I believe it was Feburary of 1991, so maybe...Groundhog's Day...or
Valentine's Day?
Just a wild guess...

--
Matthew "Jojo" Prins
mr...@iastate.edu

"If misery loves . . . more
Then why am I crying alone?
I'd make a better bore
If there was someone I could practice it on."--Steve Taylor

Christopher C Parks

Jul 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/19/95
In article <3uhj08$9...@acmey.gatech.edu> vap...@prism.gatech.edu (Jerry B. Ray)
writes:

>Everybody sing! "We built this newsgroup! We built this newsgroup on
>rock and roll!"

ROFL.

>Forget I just did that.

Why? "Knee-deep in the hoopla" isn't a bad way to describe this group
sometimes.

Careful...don't step in the hoop-la!

peace,
chris

luke yang

Jul 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/19/95

>>what was the release date for chagall guevara's release?
>
>Is this a trick question?
>1991

it's not a trick question, but i'm looking for the exact date, not just
the year. anyone...

luke

ISAO BERED

Jul 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/19/95
greetings and peace in the name of jesus christ!

hmmmm... if my skinny, malnourished memory serves correctly wouldn't this
album have two release dates? mca released it into normal distribution
long before it was distributed through the christian bookstores, thus
turning it into a "christian" album. ;-)

but i suppose you are looking for the date it was available to those
heathens who would actually shop at a mainstream outlet. ;-)

peace and love!

it is right it should be so / man was made for joy & woe / and when this
we rightly know / thro the world we safely go / joy & woe are woven fine /
a clothing for the soul divine / under every grief & pine / runs a joy
with silken twine

from "auguries of innocence" - william blake

and i am isao bered

Tony Bowden

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
Douglas C Pearson (dope...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu) wrote:
>not a bad number for a little science and engineering school of 1400,
>eh? the only other place i've seen where somebody has claimed any
>large number of r.m.c posters from that place is queen's university of
>belfast, and tony bowden only noted three people from there...

No! No!!

What I noted was that there were three from here NOTICABLE enough to be
listed in Chris' original post ...!

There's me, Clive, Darren, James and Gary of the mighty Flum()x,
Tim (who runs the Larry Norman WWW site), Paul [Chuck of InterMud fame],
and various others who read silently in the background posting every
now and again ....

Now if you want to get into which university had the most Admin posts in
MUDs in 1993/4 .... :)

Jeroen J-W Tiggelman

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
In article <3uh94n$v...@uwm.edu>,

Christopher C Parks <cc...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu> wrote:
>So how long have the rest of you folks been subscribers? I recognize
>(in no particular order) Jerry Ray, Ed Rock, Jeroen, Clive, Tony Bowden,
>Darren Aitcheson (sp?), Logan Shaw, and Rob Davis as frequent posters

I have been on the net since about November '92, and have posted here
frequently since April or May '94. That is, since one of those huge
flamewars brought about by the crossposting of SOAE to the metal
newsgroups and here. I was partially reading r.m.c to catch stray
uncrossposted replies, and partially to see whether Sven's outrageous
claims [IMO] about christianity in the U.S. had any basis. By the
time the flamewar died down, we were arguing another feared topic
around here... which served as a pretty good testcase for the
abovementioned investigation, IMO.. (this subject in turn carried
over and carried me over to soc.religion.christian.bible-study and
soc.religion.christian).

And yes, I have wandered around a lot of newsgroups. And that I am
still here does imply I like this one a lot. ;)

>chris

Furthering a tangent as usual,

--
--Jeroen------------------------------------------------------
Tigg...@StPC.WI.LeidenUniv.NL JTig...@WI.LeidenUniv.NL

Douglas C Pearson

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
Tony Bowden <p949...@qub.ac.uk> wrote in response to me:

>>eh? the only other place i've seen where somebody has claimed any
>>large number of r.m.c posters from that place is queen's university of
>>belfast, and tony bowden only noted three people from there...
>
>No! No!!
>What I noted was that there were three from here NOTICABLE enough to be
>listed in Chris' original post ...!
>There's me, Clive, Darren, James and Gary of the mighty Flum()x,
>Tim (who runs the Larry Norman WWW site), Paul [Chuck of InterMud fame],
>and various others who read silently in the background posting every
>now and again ....

aaa! oop! gross misinterpretation! sorry! sorry sorry! apologies to all
the ignored qubbers! 8-)

>Now if you want to get into which university had the most Admin posts in
>MUDs in 1993/4 .... :)

chuck don't do MUDs. nothing personal, i just waste my time well enough as it
is, thank you. 8-)

but thanks for the correction, tony.

Tony Bowden

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
Douglas C Pearson (dope...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu) wrote:
> >Now if you want to get into which university had the most Admin posts in
> >MUDs in 1993/4 .... :)

>chuck don't do MUDs. nothing personal, i just waste my time well enough as it
>is, thank you. 8-)

Neither does Tony (although he's getting severly tempted by the UK Chess
Server at the minute) ....

he used to though ... managed to give it up in time to survive finals ...
unlike many others he knows :(

But QUB is exceptionally famous for its MUDders ... probably had the greatest
wiz/admin numbers of any other uni/organisation anywhere ....

> but thanks for the correction, tony.

No problems ... that's what I'm here for .... :)

Tony

Tony Bowden | Mail: t.bo...@qub.ac.uk or aj...@yfn.ysu.edu
Belfast | URL : http://boris.qub.ac.uk/tony/ for Matthew Fox, Manics,
N. Ireland | Sam Phillips, Jack T Chick, Innocence Mission

Some people never see the light til it shines through bullet holes

Jerry B. Ray

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
In article <3ujjl5$d...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> isao...@aol.com (ISAO BERED) writes:

>but i suppose you are looking for the date it was available to those
>heathens who would actually shop at a mainstream outlet. ;-)

I might also note that, by my recollection, _Chagall Guevara_ was delayed
a LOT from the originally announced release date. I remember checking
the stores for the album a couple times a week for a LONG time before
it finally came out.

Douglas C Pearson

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
Christopher C Parks <cc...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu> wrote:
>Clueless Chuck wrote nice things about somebody named John Warren, and then
>John Streck chimed in.

you want MORE nice things about the fella we call jay-dub? i can give you more
nice things if you want them. others of the rose-hulman contingent on this
newsgroup (more on us shortly) probably can too.

all of us will probably agree: there never, ever, ever has been a christian
music DJ as good as john warren.

>I can tell who the real r.m.c. cyber-fogies :) are when they start
>reminiscing about the folks who have left r.m.c. I subscribed a little
>more than a year ago, so I can remember Andy Whitman, but I was too late
>to catch any of John Warren's wit and wisdom.

and bandwidth pummelling. jay-dub wasn't quite as renowned for quality as
quantity. 8-)

>So how long have the rest of you folks been subscribers? I recognize
>(in no particular order) Jerry Ray, Ed Rock, Jeroen, Clive, Tony Bowden,
>Darren Aitcheson (sp?), Logan Shaw, and Rob Davis as frequent posters

>when I first subscribed. Oh, yeah...and Neuros, and Matrix too... where did
>you go? I still see Rob Szarka chiming in from time to time: I remember
>him as Mr. Noise.

well, i don't go quite as far back as the kings of the prolific posters (jerry,
rob davis, terry the scholar and fool whose last name i can never spell), but
i'm close. see, i think it was the summer after my sophmore year when one of
my buds at rose-hulman, dave "flounder" fischer, was playing around on one of
the many NeXTstations that had just shown up on campus, and were net-hooked and
the whole nine yards. i noticed he had an application that looked like a
rolled-up newspaper goin' on, and i asked him what that was. he explained the
basics of usenet to me, and said "check this out" and brought up rec.music.
christian. i remember seeing posts about smitty and the choir and mad at the
world on my first browse, as well as this turkey named andy whitman that i
couldn't understand the big fuss over...8-)

i started reading r.m.c regularly midway through my junior year, when news came
up full-blast on the vax/vms network, which will always be where i feel most at
home. 8-) i posted some from rose-hulman that first year and a half (can any
of you guys remember my rose-hulman e-mail address?) but really didn't start
getting deep into this group until i came out to ohio state after i graduated
and got married.

to newbies who haven't figured this out yet: this group has all the potential
to be an incredibly tight community. just posting and not really taking note
of the other readers is ok, i guess, but striking up conversations with people
over e-mail and getting to know your fellow r.m.c'ers is where it's at. there
are already a couple of really tight friendships that i've forged with people
on this newsgroup. i've taken a trip to san francisco and had brothers there
to hook up with and hang out with in a city where i would've otherwise known
nobody. hopefully, there'll be a bro coming up to visit this part of the world
in a few weeks. it makes you realize just how little this world really is.

excuse the soapboxing, but i think this is important. if not for the people i
know and love on this newsgroup, i may well have given up on it long ago. but
i'm in too deep to back off from you guys now...

Douglas C Pearson

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
i wrote:
>others of the rose-hulman contingent on this newsgroup (more on us shortly)
>probably can too.

i never finished mentioning the rose-hulman contingent. there have been, at
one time or another, a boatload of us.

like i implied, dave fischer was, i think, the original rosem-hosem r.m.c'er.
either he was or dr. claude anderson, professor of computer science, was, and i
think dr. anderson still lurks and posts from time to time. (seems like i hear
him mentioned every time i grab lunch with andy whitman.) i joined in next,
and i think brent bergner was on r.m.c for a time. john warren posted a
considerable bit the year he was at rose as a grad student (three years after
he graduated the first time). another jon, this one a madison, joined up with
r.m.c soon after he transfered from rose to indiana u.-purdue u. indianapolis,
and he now works for silicon graphics in indianapolis and doubles as one of our
resident hip-hop experts. finally, the newest member of the rose-hulman
contingent is clark rodeffer, who has only gotten deep into r.m.c in the past
couple of years - he graduated from rose in '92 and is now at clemson.

not a bad number for a little science and engineering school of 1400, eh? the

only other place i've seen where somebody has claimed any large number of r.m.c
posters from that place is queen's university of belfast, and tony bowden only
noted three people from there...

but somehow i don't think the motto "rose-hulman: more r.m.c posters per
capita than any other school in the union!" would quite make it...

Douglas C Pearson

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
i swear! this is the last time today i respond to my own post:

when i went through the list of the rose-hulman contingent again, i realized i
was being horribly unfair to the person who got me started on this whole gee-
who-posts-that-has-been-at-rose-hulman? kick...

so even though i know very little about him except that he's a good friend of
john warren, apologies to kent mccorkle...

Wednesday

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
In article <3ukdp7$e...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,

Douglas C Pearson <dope...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>Christopher C Parks <cc...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu> wrote:
>>I still see Rob Szarka chiming in from time to time: I remember
>>him as Mr. Noise.

MR. NOISE POSTS HERE?!
<looks left> <looks right>
<jumps around> <flails arms>
<waves BBQ>

Sorry. I just miss him from alt.society.neutopia.

>to newbies who haven't figured this out yet: this group has all the potential
>to be an incredibly tight community. just posting and not really taking note
>of the other readers is ok, i guess, but striking up conversations with people
>over e-mail and getting to know your fellow r.m.c'ers is where it's at. there
>are already a couple of really tight friendships that i've forged with people
>on this newsgroup. i've taken a trip to san francisco and had brothers there
>to hook up with and hang out with in a city where i would've otherwise known
>nobody. hopefully, there'll be a bro coming up to visit this part of the world
>in a few weeks. it makes you realize just how little this world really is.

I have to say that this is probably what drew me into RMC more than anything
else... the sense of community; I felt at home the second I came through the
door. Like what I wish and hope and pray I will eventually find in a physical
church.

(Mind you, I found that church... but it's out East, too far to commute to
on Sundays unless I can pay the airlines each week, hahaHAha, and find a
place to stay, double ha ha HA ha).

w e d n e s d a y - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P h O E b E
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.tezcat.com/~wednsday - - - - - - -

Douglas C Pearson

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
J. Streck <jst...@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu> wrote:
>I second that. Not to wax nostalgic, but I can remember when John was the
>number one bandwidth wasting loudmouth (tm) in this here community and his
>presence has been sorely missed. Besides, anyone who lets me borrow his
>old issues of the Harvest Rock Syndicate for some 18 months without
>complaining is okay by me.

heard tha...wait a second, you got to borrow his hrs' for 18 MONTHS? john
never let ME do that...

oh never mind. 8-)

>>and all you people who don't get _chagall_guevara_...listen again,
>I second that, too.

dang, john, you're being...

>Unusually agreeable...

yeah, that's it exactly. 8-)

BSey

Jul 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/21/95
In article <3unlth$l...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>, ly...@ix.netcom.com (luke yang ) says:

>yeah, labels tend to postpone most of their releases, and the ice
>magazine is never a good source of release dates either.
>
>your guevarian,
>luke yang

Have to disagree with you here Luke. I have read ICE for several
years now to stay current on upcoming cd releases, and have found them
to be very accurate in most cases (at least for US releases). Yes,
there are instances when labels postpone a release for some reason,
but this tends to be the exception rather than the rule. When this
does occour I have generally found that ICE will print a correction
in a later issue noting the delay. (I'm not sure what else you can
expect them to do). Sure there are some things that slip through the
cracks (never saw a mention of the Canton Spirituals "Live In
Memphis II" that I recall), but overall I would say that the ICE
staff does a pretty good job.

I have also sent them questions via email, and have found them to be
very helpful and courteous, always responding within a few days.

BSey

luke yang

Jul 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/21/95

>I might also note that, by my recollection, _Chagall Guevara_ was
delayed
>a LOT from the originally announced release date. I remember checking
>the stores for the album a couple times a week for a LONG time before
>it finally came out.

yeah, labels tend to postpone most of their releases, and the ice

magazine is never a good source of release dates either.

okay, if i memory serves me correctly, it was january 22, 1991. i had
been waiting for that day ever since i had heard the band had been
formed.

i had called mca about more than a hundred times asking for the release
date for chagall guevara.

it has been a known fact that chagall guevara's non-existance of today
has "partial" blame due to mca. mca never really pushed it. i also
heard that the a&r person who signed them got fired after chagall were
signed, therefore, the band got lost in the shuffle.

i think i told steve once, speaking about how bad mca was, there were
times when i called mca to find out the release date of chagall
guevara, the "publicity dept." would ask me, "can you spell that for
me?" enought said.

i'm just glad that aunt betty's ford didn't sign with mca.

your guevarian,
luke yang

The Guru = Paul M. Hoemke

Jul 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/21/95
In article <3ue0eq$e...@news.iastate.edu> Jojo <mr...@iastate.edu> writes:
>cho...@med.uvm.edu (Chip Howard) wrote:
>
>>Do two plus two always equal four... or can they equal five (that was for
>>all those English majors out there... which book did that come from and
>>when was it written... by whom?)?
>
>Two plus two equals five for significantly large values of two.

>--
>Matthew "Jojo" Prins
>mr...@iastate.edu
>
>"It's me I would label out of the ordinary."--Matt Slocum (Sixpence None the
>Richer"

AAARGHK! Will all humanities majors in the room please shake their
heads and weep... "It is what it is / what it is" Honestly, these science
people, think they can monkey around with reality this way... Look, lemme
give you a bit of advice: dont try that one next time you go to the gas
station. "Suffficiently large values of two"!! Ai-yai-yai-yai-yai...
One thing, can I point out, is not the same as another. Ever. Just a little
word of wisdom from another dumb history major...
;>
--
Pax,
Paul M. Hoemke, TheGuru.

Dale Quigg

Jul 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/21/95
[A bunch of people respond]

Well, I don't know the exact day, but I do know that it was 1991 because
I just bought the cassette today for US$3.99. I also say that there
was one more cassette in the bin and I'd be willing to buy it for
the first person who asks. (Preferred deal - you send self addressed
pre-paid envelope and $4 (I'll kick in the tax) and I'll buy and
drop in the mail box)

Remember, it's a cassette, and no, there was not a CD.

Gee, I guess this only makes me about 4 years behind the times.
Things are looking up ;-)

--
- Dale
"I don't think math is a science, I think it's a religion." - Calvin (&Hobbes)

Peter Thomas Chattaway

Jul 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/22/95
Douglas C Pearson (dope...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu) wrote:
: (1) there's only one chagall CD.

Just don't forget the Chagall tracks on the CDs for `Pump Up the Volume'
and `Strong Hand of Love'. Plus that bonus track on that European
CD-single [ gnashing of teeth ].

Peter Thomas Chattaway

Jul 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/22/95
Logan Shaw (lo...@kronos.arc.nasa.gov) wrote:
: Chip Howard <cho...@med.uvm.edu> wrote:
: > why they broke up.
: I think the story was that Steve Taylor decided that, although he was
: disillusioned with the Christian music industry, he found that (for him)
: the secular music industry was even worse. (And/or maybe the record
: didn't sell very well.) It wasn't so much that they broke up -- check the
: credits for "Squint" and you'll find many of the same names.

Personally, I think Steve couldn't handle the subtlety of it all ... he's
normally *so* direct ...

Jojo

Jul 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/22/95

"Gnashing of Teeth"--(sigh). <sobbing>It's the only Chagall Guevara song I've
never heard...WHY ME...WHY ME?</sobbing>Would someone please tell me that it's
a horrible song so I don't spend the next 10 years of my life on an endless
hunt for it? ;-)

--
Matthew "Jojo" Prins
mr...@iastate.edu

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~mred/CCM/

Tony Bowden

Jul 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/23/95
Jojo <mr...@iastate.edu> wrote:
>>Just don't forget the Chagall tracks on the CDs for `Pump Up the Volume'
>>and `Strong Hand of Love'. Plus that bonus track on that European
>>CD-single [ gnashing of teeth ].

>"Gnashing of Teeth"--(sigh). <sobbing>It's the only Chagall Guevara song I've
>never heard...WHY ME...WHY ME?</sobbing>Would someone please tell me that it's
>a horrible song so I don't spend the next 10 years of my life on an endless
>hunt for it? ;-)

Sorry ... would love to tell you that it's a horrible song ... but it's not!
It's not especially what you would call a _typical_ CG song ... but it's rather
good, and rather funny.

And having just sent my last free copy of the 7" (it's not just on the CD single)
to Jeff Elbel only the other day, what did I find lingering in a Belfast record
shop yesterday, but another 7"!!

And so, we have, yet again, a very special, very rare, much-sought copy of
Chagall Guevara's Violent Blue 7" c/w Still Know Your Number By Heart.

The last time I advertised one of these things got out of hand, so I'll state
straight off what I'd like in exchange this time: back issues of the (Wittenburg)
Door.

If you don't happen to have such useful things lying around, that's fine, make
me some other off - BUT, as exchanging money this way isn't the best, and I
can't think of anything musical I'm looking in return, my preference is for
undercover or alternative Christian magazines.....

Tony
Tony Bowden | Mail: t.bo...@qub.ac.uk or aj...@yfn.ysu.edu
Belfast | URL : http://boris.qub.ac.uk/tony/ for Matthew Fox, Manics,
N. Ireland | Sam Phillips, Jack T Chick, Innocence Mission

Left like a shadow on the step where the body was before

Jerry B. Ray

Jul 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/23/95
In article <3ur9b0$r...@news.iastate.edu> Jojo <mr...@iastate.edu> writes:

>>Just don't forget the Chagall tracks on the CDs for `Pump Up the Volume'
>>and `Strong Hand of Love'. Plus that bonus track on that European
>>CD-single [ gnashing of teeth ].

>"Gnashing of Teeth"--(sigh). <sobbing>It's the only Chagall Guevara song I've
>never heard...

Actually, [gnashing of teeth] was just an expression. The CD-single
B-side in question is "Still Know Your Number By Heart."

Jeroen J-W Tiggelman

Jul 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/24/95
In article <1995Jul21....@amc.com>, Dale Quigg <da...@amc.com> wrote:
>the first person who asks. (Preferred deal - you send self addressed
>pre-paid envelope and $4 (I'll kick in the tax) and I'll buy and
>drop in the mail box)

Recommendation: email first, or next thing you know you'll have gotten a
few dozen envelopes with.. :)

--
--Jeroen------------------------------------------------------
Tigg...@StPC.WI.LeidenUniv.NL JTig...@WI.LeidenUniv.NL

The Guru = Paul M. Hoemke

Jul 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/25/95

Hail.
Wel, from the interview I read with Herr Taylor, it was largely the
long stints of unprofitable touring combined with the poor sales that led
them to give up on the project. I've not heard that there was much trouble
with the industry types, as the band seems to have gone ahead and done what
they wanted on the record (and it reflects nicely upon them). IMHO, the
lyrics on the C.G. project are both the most intricate and the most striking
that I've sen from him yet. Definitely, it wasn't his usual *SLAM* style of
working, but it _cut_ in parts, doing more damage to the cynical
modern/"post-modern" world than his ostensibly more direct assaults
sometimes have.
Ah, and re having many of the same ppl on both _Squint_ and C.G., in
same interview, I think in True Tunes or whatever it is/was, he said there
was a deliberate effort to make the Chagall Guevara album more than just
'Steve Taylor and Some Band'; he said one of the frustrating things was
letting control flow to the whole band, instead of leading it. The
collaborative efort still strikes me as a TOP-notch
rock/alterno-pop/cool-stuff/groovinessitude I've ever heard. Gotta love the
guy. Well, enough ranting and raving for the moment.

Peter Thomas Chattaway

Aug 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/1/95
The Guru = Paul M. Hoemke (k93...@hobbes.kzoo.edu) wrote:
: Ah, and re having many of the same ppl on both _Squint_ and C.G., in

: same interview, I think in True Tunes or whatever it is/was, he said there
: was a deliberate effort to make the Chagall Guevara album more than just
: 'Steve Taylor and Some Band'; he said one of the frustrating things was
: letting control flow to the whole band, instead of leading it. The
: collaborative efort still strikes me as a TOP-notch
: rock/alterno-pop/cool-stuff/groovinessitude I've ever heard. Gotta love the
: guy. Well, enough ranting and raving for the moment.

In a tape I have of the Greenbelt press conference with Chagall Guevara,
Steve makes the point that part of the point of the band was to bury egos
and lose that sense of individualism. Too bad the band didn't last beyond
the one album (though I wish they'd used more than just the guitars and
drums - I originally got into Steve's music cuz he was one of the few
CCMers who used the sax on a regular basis).