INTRODUCTIONS

Marc Koenig

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

Hey, I'm new around this ng, so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name
is Bethany Koenig, and I'm a 13 y o Christian. I love music, and my
favorite groups are Point of Grace, JoC, Jaci Velasquez, Hanson, and I
love my Les Miserables cast recording too. Anyways, just htought I'd
say hi!

Bethany

Lisa Reid

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

Marc Koenig wrote:

<chorus> Hi, Bethany! </chorus>

Welcome to the group! I hope you enjoy your time here. Some of the players
take a little getting used to, but I think all in all we're a pretty fun
group.

I guess I should introduce myself to you. I'm Lisa Reid. I'm 30 and
married with two kids (both boys, ages 4 and almost-8), and I currently (for
the next week, anyway) attend the University of Texas at Austin, though I'm
really a Texas Aggie (Whoooooooop!) since my first degree was from there.
I've been around these parts for about 2 or 2.5 years now, and I'm the
official RMC Social Secretary (most of the stuff I arrange only works for
you if you're in Austin, though).

[Speaking of Social Secretary, Plumb and Jars are playing here this Thursday
(Dec. 4). I know Matt and I want to go, and Norman sent me mail saying he
might want to go. I don't know how much tix are, but I suspect they're
reserved seats, so email me if you want to go. It'll be my Last Day of
Class celebration, so I'm looking forward to it.]

Enough digression, though. My musical tastes run from Sixpence (the new one
is amazing) to Amy Grant (listening to her Christmas stuff lately) to White
Heart (_Freedom_ is now in the player) to whatever else happens to appeal to
me at the moment (next up in the rotation is Over the Rhine's _Good Dog Bad
Dog_, which everyone should own; go buy it NOW).

That's all about me. Anyone else care to intro themselves? We haven't
played this game in a while....

Lisa

Regenerate Spice

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Lisa Reid wrote:

> That's all about me. Anyone else care to intro themselves? We haven't
> played this game in a while....

since i don't recall ever doing so before, let me introduce *myself*.

my name is michael tolosa ('regenerate spice' is only a temporary facade).
i'm a 21-year-old senior in college. i've been checking in on r.m.c. for
4 years, and have only recently started posting uncautiously.

i don't really care for much of the modern Christian music (other than
sixpence none the richer). i really only like old, 1980's steve taylor,
old rez, and old amy grant. call me an 80's-kind-of-dude.

my brother's in the Christian punk band Ghoti Hook, so i check up on ghoti
gossip for them and advertise their shows and stuff.

i'm a big sci-fi fan (aliens, x-files...) and a big theology buff (i've
been studying since early high school). st. augustine, martin luther,
john calvin, jonathan edwards, john h. gerstner, and r.c. sproul are my
heroes. (oh yeah... mulder, scully, ripley, and ian malcom are my
heroes, too!)

i'm also a sucker for the singing voice of a british female.

...that's all.

\0/
\\ Regenerate Spice
/ \ http://mason.gmu.edu/~mtolosa

Jerry B. Ray

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

In article <Pine.OSF.3.95q.97113...@osf1.gmu.edu>,
Regenerate Spice <mto...@osf1.gmu.edu> wrote:

>i don't really care for much of the modern Christian music (other than
>sixpence none the richer). i really only like old, 1980's steve taylor,
>old rez, and old amy grant. call me an 80's-kind-of-dude.

Yer an 80's-kind-of-dude. [wokkawokka!]

I like the 80's as far as secular stuff goes, but with a few
exceptions (like the ones you named), it was a pretty bleak period
for CCM, wasn't it?

>my brother's in the Christian punk band Ghoti Hook

I-did-not-know-that.
I-was-not-aware-of-that.
Cool. :-)

>i'm also a sucker for the singing voice of a british female.

Forget singing, I just like to hear 'em talk. :-) (And while we're
on the subject of women of any sort, I'd just like to point out that
I'm a total wuss. There was a gorgeous, apparently unescorted
young woman dancing near me at the VoL show all night Wednesday,
and I didn't have the backbone to say anything to her. I guess
the whole cheesy cliche of meeting somebody in a bar is just
too much for me to bear...)

Anyway, while we're introducing...

I'm a 27 (guh) year-old guy, born and raised in Atlanta, GA. Got
a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in Civil Engineering from
Georgia Tech (anybody in Atlanta reading this who would like to
give me a job, send me e-mail...). Went to high school with members
of Collective Soul, went to college with a guy from Third Day.

I'm an avowed geek that loves videogames (especially old arcade games)
and collects comic books (complete run of Uncanny X-Men, bay-bee! :-).
Favorite movies are probably the Star Wars movies, Sleepless in Seattle,
Aliens, Wayne's World, Sixteen Candles, and probably a ton of others,
favorite TV shows are My So-Called Life, Simpsons, King Of The Hill,
Friends, and ER.

Got a ton of CDs, probably half and half Christian stuff and secular
stuff (favoring 80s stuff in the secular realm). Favorite bands
include Vigilantes of Love, Third Day, Dakoda Motor Co, All Star
United, Sixpence, Smalltown Poets, Sarah Masen. Billy Joel kicks
major-league cool-butt. I have spoken, it is so.

I drive a red Mitsubishi 3000GT, but I'd gladly swap it for my
old 1986 Fiero GT that got run over by an RV and is probably currently
a coaster in somebody's house or something.

I go to a Southern Baptist church that is pretty progressive for
a SB church, though I still manage to find plenty of stuff to gripe
about, it seems. I'm told I make a pretty good Jesus when I grow
a beard and grow my hair out longer than usual for this thing we
do at my church every October.

And it seems that I'm destined to ever be a hopelessly single guy,
despite the fact that all my friends' girlfriends seem to think
I'm cool and stuff. And that's pretty much my life. :-)

JRjr
--
%%%%% vap...@prism.gatech.edu %%%%%%%% Jerry B. Ray, Jr. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
"I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month.

Martin Maxwell

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

Hello! I haven't formally introduced myself yet either, and I applaud
the young lady that started this thread for having the nerve to speak
up and say HI!

Anyway I am 27, married with 2 wonderful boys ages 4 and 6. We attend
St. Timothy's Catholic church in Mesa AZ where I have been going for
about 14 or so years now. I am responsible for the 6 pm video crew
that operates the camera for overflow seating (we regularly overfill
our main 1350 seat sanctuary and need overflow seating.) I am also a
tenor in our seasonal Choir.

Favorite CCM artists are mainly Rich Mullins and Kathy Tricolli. Also
Tom Booth, Daniel P. Consiglio and John Michael Talbot.

My main hobby besides surfing the net, is flying hot air balloons. I
fly a 4 passenger Aerostar AX-7 called Cactus Crunch. I have been a
licensed pilot since 1986.

Next??

Martin

Ethan Rogati

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

this should be a pretty good thread =) my name's ethan rogati. i'm 22 and i'm
a new addition to the citizenry of colorado springs. i've been posting and
lurking and other variations thereof for a few years now here on rmc. my
musical tastes run all over the place. the new sixpence is sharing high
rotation with joy electric "old wives tales", plumb, u2 "war" and "slow
dark train" from the maestro. i'm currently limiting my posts due to my
inability to hold my tongue where the resident antagonist is concerned.
ok, that's it for me. next.
--
e-<ero...@rmi.net>
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/5526/

Bridgette and John Moore

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

> On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Lisa Reid wrote:
>
> > That's all about me. Anyone else care to intro themselves? We haven't
> > played this game in a while....

My turn! My turn!

My name is Bridgette Okragly Moore. I'm a 30 year old temporarily
unemployed ESL teacher (who can't spell if her life dependend on it but
luckily I usually teach beginning English (This is Sue. This is Sue's
Class. Her teacher is Mr. Crisp. ad nauseum.)

My husband and I are living in Taiwan and expecting our first human
child in Feb (after Chinese New Year) (We already have a very spoiled
cat). I lurk more than I post cause I don't have much of a chance to go
to CCM concerts or get any news except from rmc. I've been
posting/lurking for a year now.

My favorite artists are Petra, JOC, Steve Camp, Rich Mullins (RIP), and
Points of Grace. I would love to hear some of the groups mentioned here
but don't really have a means to. So I'll just trust you all that they
are good until I go back stateside one day (I've only been here 6 1/2
years)

Next.........

Shearn

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Lisa Reid wrote:
> That's all about me. Anyone else care to intro themselves? We haven't
> played this game in a while....

oh hell, why not?

my name is colin peter shearn. i am 21 years old and single *doh*. i
mostly lurk here, i've found that most of the things i post were a lot
funnier or interesting when they were still in my head. oh well, i love
the threads that go on and on and on... i've learned a lot.

anyhoo, musically i lean towards music by xians but not written
expressly for the ccm market (vol, over the rhine, king's x, u2, sam
phillips...). although the pixies will always have a special place in
my heart. but i've recently become a country fan. real country, i
should say, none of that shania twain, garth brooks type of crap; i mean
johnny cash, hank williams, etc..

this is as good a time as any to say that i will most likely be moving
soon and will not have a computer, or access to one. so, i will be
leaving "you people" soon. thanks. thanks a lot. it's been real kewl.

colin

Regenerate Spice

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

On 30 Nov 1997, Jerry B. Ray wrote:

> I like the 80's as far as secular stuff goes, but with a few
> exceptions (like the ones you named), it was a pretty bleak period
> for CCM, wasn't it?

i didn't even know there *was* a CCM at that time. my dad brought home
amy grant's record "age to age" one day (my virginal experience w/ CCM).
i dubbed steve taylor's records off my cousins (as well as rez and
eventually stryper). to me, these were secular artists who talked about
God.

the only CCM names that may have rang a bell in my pre-teen brain at that
time would possibly be sandi patti, the gaither trio, and SALTY (that
crazy singing book!).

i remember lip-singing (as well as air-guitaring and air-drumming) steve
taylor's songs with my brother and cousin. at that time, i was still
playing with G.I.Joe's and transformers. ...and kick-butt toy guns! (by
the way, you notice how crappy toys are these days? what's with the neon
colors and cheap plastic? when i was a kid, the toy guns looked real and
the transformers were made of metal.)

the 80's rock.

thank God for movies like "grosse pointe blank."

loserboy

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Jerry B. Ray <vap...@prism.gatech.edu> wrote:

>Anyway, while we're introducing...
[...]

>favorite TV shows are My So-Called Life, Simpsons, King Of The Hill,
>Friends, and ER.

there are tv shows, and then there's the simpsons. even KotH, as good as
it is, can't touch the simpsons from a few years ago.

>And it seems that I'm destined to ever be a hopelessly single guy,
>despite the fact that all my friends' girlfriends seem to think
>I'm cool and stuff. And that's pretty much my life. :-)

to be sure, all i seem to have are friends i go in and out of touch with.
one good one at church, but not really anyone else who i consistently hang
out with. and nothing on the girlfriend front, either...i would be
surprised if i actually hook up with a girl within the coming year. yes,
it's that bleak, and i'm that picky. :-)

anyways, intros...i'm glenn harper, and i always seem to stay up too late
for my own good. i turn 21 soon, and i currently attend georgia tech. my
class status is junior, but i sure don't feel like one. my major is
computer engineering. i love music, natch, and my favorite artists
include vigilantes of love, dream theater, the violet burning, radiohead,
slowdive, u2, king's x, amorphis, sixpence none the richer, jeremy enigk,
and the crucified. favorite movies are _monty python and the holy grail_,
_blade runner_, and various parts of coen bros and zucker/abrams/zucker
flicks. also, having loved _get shorty_ and _pulp fiction_, i am
seriously looking forward to _jackie brown_. tv shows i love: the
simpsons (the modern day equivalent of shakespeare, imo), mystery science
theater 3000 (back in it's heyday on comedy central; haven't warmed up
to what i've seen of it on the sci-fi channel, which i don't get here,
grrr), king of the hill, the x-files, seinfeld (re-runs), and what little
i've seen of south park. i drive a ford explorer, which i love dearly.
spend most of my time on the 'net, playing video games on the n64,
weightlifting, reading, playing guitar, watching tv, and studying. my
primary goals in life are to squeeze as much as i can out of life here on
earth, learn to accept/love myself and others, to gain wisdom, and to do
what God what me to do. so that's me.

glenn
--
welcome to my world|where's my gun?|conform or be cast out|i'd hug your
neck and kiss your face|you took away my hero...|how is it i am found...?|

Chuck Pearson

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Marc Koenig (ma...@navix.net) obstensibly wrote:
: Hey, I'm new around this ng, so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name
: is Bethany Koenig, and I'm a 13 y o Christian. I love music, and my
: favorite groups are Point of Grace, JoC, Jaci Velasquez, Hanson, and I
: love my Les Miserables cast recording too. Anyways, just htought I'd
: say hi!

bethany, for a 13-year-old, you're a brilliant troller. 8-)

chuck pearson.

yes, i like lower-case letters.

i'm 25 or 26 or 27 - i can never remember anymore. i think i have a
birthday on saturday, but apart from my wife trying to play with my head
on my birthday present i really haven't noticed.

yes, i'm married - kristin, librarian assistant, columbus metropolitian
library system. with kid - amelia, 2 1/2. most theologically correct 2
1/2-year-old you ever did meet.

grad student/physics teacher, ohio state university. PhD in biophysics
due may 1999.

yes, i'm a geek.

i don't really have a favorite band right now - vigilantes of love, i
suppose, holds that spot by default, and farewell to juliet ranks right up
there 'cause i have to support jeff elbel, see. i spend most of my time
switching the radio between the local christian noise station [radio u,
WUFM 88.7 FM], the local secular noise station [channel z, WZAZ 98.9 FM],
the local alternative-wasn't-born-yesterday station [CD101, WWCD 101.1 FM],
and the local listen-to-people-of-varying-degrees-of-intelligence-blab-about-
sports station [the fan, WBNS 1460 AM] [all columbus, OH frequencies].
when these stations play music from [in no particular order] sixpence none the
richer, model engine/black-eyed sceva/whatever jeremy post is calling his
band these days, tonic, the echoing green, lisa loeb, king's x, galactic
cowboys, whiteheart, sarah mclachlan, velour100, hokus pick, modern
english, rush [newer stuff better unless it's from _moving_pictures_],
charlie peacock, smashing pumpkins songs from _siamese_dream_ 'cause all
other sp albums suck, pearl jam songs from all over 'cause i'm one of the
rare few that didn't think _no_code_ sucked, poor ol' lu, dime store
prophets, counting crows, the choir, the 77s, adam again, daniel amos, any
bands deriving from any of the previous four bands, mr. mister, five-iron
frenzy, or yes, i tend to be happy.

yes, my tastes are eclectic. and that's just the pop stuff. i tend to
dig a little be-bop jazz from time to time, as well as some bluegrass.

if you add it up, i think i've been around r.m.c for the better part of
six years - not quite as long as jerry, but longer than most others. i'm
anal on the fine points of usenet culture, and i think you really ought to
read news.announce.newusers before you go too much farther 'round here.
however, a good intelligent post can cover a multitude of sins.

yes, i follow Jesus. poorly, but i do follow. not that you asked, but if you
listen to me too long i'm sure you would, for one reason or another.

chuck
--
child you know i love you and i care
[thanx to vigilantes of love.]

Jason and Heather

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Lisa Reid <lr...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> That's all about me. Anyone else care to intro themselves? We
> haven't played this game in a while....

Hi, my name is Jason, and I'm an alcoholic. Oh, wait. Wrong group.
Nevermind that.

Anyway, I'm 25, and have been reading r.m.c since late '90 or early
'91 or so. My beliefs have undergone some rather radical changes
since then, but I still like Christian music, so I'm now r.m.c's
resident atheist. My favorite Christian bands are the Choir, Tonio
K., and Sam Phillips. I'm also a fan of the Pixies, any of that stuff
they're calling "electronica" these days, but that us old timers know
as plain old "techno", blues, and pop music from the 1920s-40s.

My other interests include guns of all types [1], knife fighting,
zombie movies, fine liquor, philosophy, and my lovely wife Heather,
who is not - as has been rumored - a figment of my imagination. [2]

jason
r.m.c resident atheist

[1] This is the one I'm currently lusting after.
<http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog/images/e2dissipator.gif>
[2] And now I have someone else to back me up on that. Bev White [3],
maintainer of the r.m.c newbie guide [4], has even had her hair
colored by Heather.
[3] Who is currently sleeping very soundly on the couch about six
feet away from this computer.
[4] <http://www.tezcat.com/~wednsday/rmc/>

--
"The man who marries a modern woman marries a woman who expects to vote
like a man, smoke like a man, have her hair cut like a man, and go without

Ji Bae

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Me too! Me too! :)

My name is Ji (pronounced "G") Bae and I'm a 20 year old junior at
Cornell Univeristy
(Ithaca, NY). Right now though, I'm on a Co-op program, but
unfortunately they don't keep me very busy. If your wondering about
the name, I'm of Asian descent (so now you can all guess what color eyes

and hair I have :) ). I'm originally from Alexandria, VA a suburb of
Washington DC, not far from an aforementioned George Mason University.
I'm majoring in E.E. (electrical engineering)... I don't think I'm a
geek, but they say you can't spell "geek" without "EE" so form your own
opinions. :) I expect to graduate with a B.S.E.E. in May of 1999.
I've been lurking around RMC for the past year and a half, though my
posting is very irregular (I've been posting a lot these days because
I'm working and not taking any classes...)

My favorite artists: The Echoing Green, Joy Electric, Anything Box,

Plankeye, the violet burning, The Cure, aleixa, the blamed (RIP), OC
Supertones, MxPx, Ghoti Hook, Stavesacre, Sixpence, Eric Clapton, Slash
from Guns N'Roses, New Order, a lot of 80's British new wave
one-hit-wonder type stuff, Tchaikovsky (the composer), Dmitri
Shostakovich (the composer), Pablo de Sarasate (the violinist/composer),

Nicolo Paganini (the violinist/composer), Itzhak Perlman (the
violinist), and Jascha Heifetz (the violinist). If you haven't guessed
by now, I play the violin (11 yrs). I also play the guitar, mostly
rock/bluesy type stuff, and a little drums. I also studied tae kwon do
for 7 years and have a black belt, though right now I'm somewhat out of
practice. I'm disappointed by the bulk of sticoms on TV, but my
favorite shows include Star Trek (classic 60's and TNG... DS9 and
Voyager suck because they were made after Gene Roddenberry died), the
Simpsons, ER, Seinfeld, The Wonder Years (RIP), and Party of Five these
days looks rather promising. I've been a Christian for seven years, and
I go to a Presbyterian Church.

ji

Wednesday

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Hi: I'm bev. Under very specific circumstances, I'm also Wednesday,
but Wednesday typically doesn't intersect with RMC these days except
for when people are really stupid.

I live in Hamilton, Ontario, which is pretty cool when you stay out of
the industrial (and by that I mean slag and smoke, not cool music)
areas, and work in Toronto as a glorified tech support and systems
maintenance consultant. For health reasons, I haven't been working
as regularly as I might like.

I'm severely distrustful of English renditions of Scripture, think the
Apostle Paul was just about the worst influence Christianity ever had
(and therefore reject the stuff he was involved with), fail to see the
point of keeping the book of Revelations around this late in the game,
and in general am wary of whether or not Christianity exists as it should.
That being said, I'm probably still a Christian in spite of various
issues held with the faith (and an allergy to church, but I digress).
Not that I speak for Wednesday, though.

I've been online for just under half my life (I'm 22) and am something
of a stickler for doing things right here. To wit, I write any number
of discourses on USENET and general-Internet netiquette in a vain effort
to get thiings to work right, to keep people from asking the same damn
questions all the time, and to make messages more readable, on the theory
that people WILL accept and use local manners and customs. Due to a high
level of frustration with the fact that people are stupid sheep, 90% of
my USENET energy these days is directed towards private hierarchies where
some amount of screening for entry is present, which is why I'm not
as active here as I used to be.

I am listening to the Choir at the moment. I like most of what the
youngsters are calling electronica, a lot of athens-type rockish
stuff, Canadian bands like Moxy Fruvous and Barenaked Ladies, Women
With Attitude like Ani DiFranco, some amount of prog in the Dream Theater
vein (and I'm *utterly* in love with a goth progmetal group from
London called Die Laughing) and am developing a taste for most things
gothic, like Sisters of Mercy and Siouxsie (perkygothi!) and Nefilim
(zoooooon) and Fields of the Nephilim (same thing only not) and stuff.
If it's not too syrupy, I'll probably at least sort of dig it (and even
that's not always an indicator; against all my better judgement, I kind
of dig Out Of The Grey, and I own soundtracks to Sailormoon and Neon
Genesis (Shinjiku) Evangelion -- must find some Ranma).

I like bishoujo anime (and whatever kind of anime Ranma 1/2 is), action
movies, various levels of animation and puppetry, bad religious media,
and other happy stuff like that.

I am not a goth.

I'm sure there's more, but I daren't go into detail about it. :)

--
to break away: i don't have that within me::::::::::::::::::::::bev white
and i'm not your prey, so i bite the hand that feeds me:::::::::wednesday

Wednesday

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

In article <65tstg$j...@nntp02.primenet.com>,

Jason and Heather <stei...@primenet.com> wrote:
> [2] And now I have someone else to back me up on that. Bev White [3],
> maintainer of the r.m.c newbie guide [4], has even had her hair
> colored by Heather.
> [3] Who is currently sleeping very soundly on the couch about six
> feet away from this computer.

And now I'm awake.

Yes, it's true; Heather is real as real can be. And she's REALLY cool.

Cheef Dan

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Hi!

I'm Cheef Dan.

I'm in my early 30s, single (but not unattached -- shh! don't tell the
Brotherhood), and people here are generally amused that I have a very low
wardrobe budget and rarely pack more than a small bag even for 2 week
long vacations.

I enjoy lots of Christian music, although rarely the real "pop-fluff"
stuff. I have a special place in my heart for early-to-mid-80s Christian
rock, 'cause that was when I got addicted. :)

Rob

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Marc Koenig wrote:

> Hey, I'm new around this ng, so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name
> is Bethany Koenig, and I'm a 13 y o Christian. I love music, and my
> favorite groups are Point of Grace, JoC, Jaci Velasquez, Hanson, and I
> love my Les Miserables cast recording too. Anyways, just htought I'd
> say hi!
>
> Bethany

This is cool. Can I play?

I am Rob Weeks. I am a very old computer programmer (42 years old) who
gets onto Usenet once and a while and wastes time. This is a pretty
interesting group..I sort of like the mix of folks and the Christian
politically incorrectness of it all. I am a Christian but have a nasty
habit of independent thinking that gets me into trouble.

I don't like much Christian music (ok some of the Vineyard/Hosanna
worship stuff is pretty good but most of it is boring). I do like
Classical Music (I am a classical pianist from a conservatory wasting
away his talent). I have written several 'Long Introduction to the Old
Rugged Cross Made the Difference' in the style of my favorite composer
PDQ Bach..the youngest and most maligned son of the great Johann
Sebastian (actually he is Peter Schikele who parodies Classical Music).
My son is turning me into liking Jazz too. I used to think CCM was an
acronym for Christian Country Music.

I live in the southeastern corner of Northwestern Vermont so remotely we
do not get TBN. We do get the Simpsons which I watch with my 11 year
old son. Most other TV is boring though. I guess having adult ADD most
things bore me. I am an avid Red Sox fan. We just ripped off Pedro
Martinez from a city 70 miles north of where I live and I am convinced
1998 will be the year for us long suffering Red Sox fans.
--
Rob

Michael A. Vickers

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

while under the influence of a chili onion supreme from wally's weiner world,
ma...@navix.net erupted:

>Hey, I'm new around this ng, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

okay, this has been an interesting thread. i've always wondered various
things (like age) about folks from here. cool thread.

i'm michael, i'm 25, and i'm currently employed by a pharmaceutical
marketing company as a technologies analyst. what that really means is
i'm the only person in the building that knows how a computer works,
therefore i'm called upon when anything using electricity isn't
functioning to somebody's satisfaction. and i do mean anything. and
thats besides the projects they throw at me.

i currently reside in the backwoods of connecticut, near the connecticut
river. i live in a house with a room mate from church. i drive a red
mazda b3000 pick-up.

i've never stepped foot onto a real university. i dropped out of junior
college at the beginning of my third year. i decided to get married at
that time, which considering the situation was extremely stupid. i'm now
divorced and have been for 3 years.

one of my interests include listening to music (somewhere in the
neighborhood of 800 cds, i think. about 70/30 christian/mainstream mix,
but it's balancing out more and more all the time). my all time favorite
band is king's x, and my general favorites usually change with the
seasons. at the moment, i have alot of level 42, rush, and dream theater
in the cd player.

my other interests includes computers, (anything about them, and every
gizmo and gafrootisbob you can attach to them), sports (avid viewer of
professionaly football... avid participant in basketball, soccer,
tennis, football, and just about anything involving something i can
throw, kick, or hit... well, just about), and reading. since i decided
to forego my education for stupidity, i feel like i'm hopelessly behind.

my secret interest is watching jason and peter debate.

Michael

allthesleepingneverwakingalltheleavesinneedofrakingallthebusinessundertaking
allmybonesandmusclesachingthoughtandmindaresurelyflakingoverluncheonhandsare
shakingsuretyofnomistakingcarsandhornsandglassisbreaking - 'dogman', kings x
--[Michael A. Vickers]-----------------------------[mavi...@cryogen.com]--

Michael A. Vickers

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

while under the influence of a chili onion supreme from wally's weiner world,
vap...@prism.gatech.edu (Jerry B. Ray) erupted:

>In article <Pine.OSF.3.95q.97113...@osf1.gmu.edu>,
>Regenerate Spice <mto...@osf1.gmu.edu> wrote:

>>i don't really care for much of the modern Christian music (other than
>>sixpence none the richer). i really only like old, 1980's steve taylor,
>>old rez, and old amy grant. call me an 80's-kind-of-dude.

>I like the 80's as far as secular stuff goes, but with a few

>exceptions (like the ones you named), it was a pretty bleak period
>for CCM, wasn't it?

i dont know. i'll admit that my attachment to my 80's stuff is more
emotional than based on quality, but there was plenty for me to like in
the 80's.

Jessica

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Sure, I'll join in the fun too. I'm Jessica and I'm a college senior
(24 years old). I'll be done with classes this spring!! Hmm. I drive an
86 Ford that my father is nice enough to let me have (well sort of, but
that's a long story). As far as music goes it is rather funny that I
show up here because I rarely listen to Christian stuff. Cd's about 300
15 of wich are Christian. Records 150 about 2 are Christian... get my
drift. But I do consider myself one.
My favorite Christian artist is Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus.
My favorite Artist is Dead Can Dance (I've seen them live 3 times!)
I also like stuff like Cocteau Twins (and all that 4ad stuff).
Stuff that is now called electronica (but is really just techno).
Stuff that used to be called goth (the stuff from the 80's only, but I'm
not one).
And just some funky stuff like Glenn Branca and Einsturzende Neubauten
Atari Teenage Riot and Swans.
I don't like Rock and Roll type stuff that much.

My Fav. Xian magizines are Prism, Cornerstone, and Image (a journal of
art and religion, very good but expensive) oh and Sojourners is good
too, and the Door. I love to read. (Good thing I'm an English major).
I'm also a big fan of Utne Reader and The Progressive (but I'm not a
socialist) and Public Radio.
I work at a college station and do a techno/noise/industrial/whatever
show. I also review CD's for the station.

There you have it.

--

Jes

"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven't
got the guts to bite people themselves. " August Strindburg

Gabe White

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Hi. I'm Gabe. 18 years old. Single and unattached (ahem!). A negative person
(as someone pointed out to me yesterday...). No idea what to do with my
life, not that I really even have one... Please don't ask anymore about me
because I'm still trying to figure the rest out.

But music I enjoy... Favorite bands/artists include Radiohead, Blues
Traveller, Dime Store Prophets (RIP), Dryve, Sixpence None The Richer, and
many more I can't think of at the moment. I'll listen to almost anything
if done right, from jazz to metal to pop to hymns to praise and worship to
goth to darkwave to whatever...

I'm a Christian. A liberal christian, they tell me... But I consider
myself straight up fundie christian. Whatever.

Have fun kids,

Gabe

--
o p p o r t u n i t y i s n o w h e r e

Cheef Dan

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Tony Bowden (to...@crux.blackstar.co.uk) wrote:

: When I was in El Salvador many of the Christians I met emphasised how
: it's one of the most important books in the Bible (along with, for
: instance, Exodus), as it encouraged them to keep their faith in the face
: of an exceptionally dictatorial regime...

Yep. :)

Revelations (with the possible exception of the epistles at the beginning)
is a book of Apocalyptic literature. Apocalyptic literature serves to
preserve the faith community through difficult times (specifically
persecution) by proclaiming the truth of Good's victory over Evil. This
is usually done in strongly allegorical terms, often to intentionally make
the message ambiguous to oppressors.

It can be argued that the primary purpose of Revelations was to get the
church through the persecutions of Nero, et al. But to say it was not
relevant today would be like saying Psalms is not relevant because it was
written to be sung by people 2500+ years ago. The truth of Revelations
remains strong beyond its initial historical context.

Jeff Holland

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Oh, why not.

Hi, my name is Jeff Holland and I have an addiction. I read
rec.music.christian altogether too much. I am a senior at Georgia Tech,
but that doesn't mean I'm going to graduate before I turn 75. I'm currently
23 years old.

After some dissapointing relationships, I'm quite happy to be
single, thank you. I frequent coffee shops around the Atlanta area
after midnight where I read and write various stuff. Robert Heinlein is
my favorite author while Madeline L'Engle is a close second
with C.S. Lewis keeping pace. When I'm not sweating bullets worrying over
tests here at Georgia Tech, I work for IBM in Marietta as a co-op doing
really cool stuff.

Sports is my second passion with volleyball being my favorite sport
to play. My favorite sport to watch is college football with my favorite
team being THE FREAKIN' GEORGIA WE CAN'T WIN A GAME IN THE FOURTH QUARTER
TECH Yellow Jackets. I play setter for my six-man indoor team during the fall
and winter and pairs and fours beach volleyball during the summer. I also
like watching hockey a lot.

My musical tastes are wide varied, from cheesy to intellectual,
from accoustic to booty-shakin', from classical to rock the paint off my
walls. I dig Handel, Holst, Tchaikovsky, and Bach. Shortly thereafter
though, I'm bound to put in Whiteheart, Iona, Kansas, Caedmon's Call,
Fold Zandura, King's X, or my sentimental favorite, Petra. I listen to
Yes alot because I really dig the bridge from rock to classical in their
style. Over the Rhine is quickly becoming one of my new favorites, too.
I don't like most mainstream CCM, but that's my personality.

If this isn't thorough enough(!) You can also check out yon
web page below for a little bit more about me.

Jeff

"The thing is, we have so much. We are rich. I would hate to not realize
that I am rich just because I keep waiting for something to happen. I
want to surround myself with people who have a strong sense of this
unmerited wealth." -Linford Detweiler

Jeff Holland jhol...@cc.gatech.edu http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gt5276b

Jason and Heather

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Cheef Dan <chee...@netaxs.com> wrote:

> Revelations (with the possible exception of the epistles at the
> beginning) is a book of Apocalyptic literature. Apocalyptic
> literature serves to preserve the faith community through difficult
> times (specifically persecution) by proclaiming the truth of Good's
> victory over Evil. This is usually done in strongly allegorical
> terms, often to intentionally make the message ambiguous to
> oppressors.

...not to mention everyone else, including future generations of
the "faith community". Disputes spawned by the ambiguity are
causing schisms in the church to this very day, and lead to the
creation of a cottage industry revolving around attempts to decipher
the "true" message.

> It can be argued that the primary purpose of Revelations was to get
> the church through the persecutions of Nero, et al. But to say it
> was not relevant today would be like saying Psalms is not relevant
> because it was written to be sung by people 2500+ years ago. The
> truth of Revelations remains strong beyond its initial historical
> context.

Given that God has yet to triumph over evil, the promise of
Revelations remains unfulfilled, and everyone who placed their hopes
in that promise has been disappointed. If there is a truth to be
learned from Revelations, it's that it can't be trusted.

jason
r.m.c resident atheist

Tim Brabender

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Let me intoduce myself.....
I'm Tim, and I'm 38 years old. I have worked at a paper mill in
Wisconsin for 18 years. We make various paper products you may have come
in contact with. Things such as the paper that wraps your burger at
Burger King, the paper around your Trident gum, and the little
containter that you squirt your favorite condiment into at your fast
food place of choice, we make those also. Next time you use them, think
of me......
I have been married to the greatest woman in the world for 13
years, and we have a daughter who is 12. She is truly a blessing, and a
miracle that she was even brought into this world. I have been mostly
lurking on this ng since July, and am quite amused and often entertained
by the banter that flies around here.
I attend a General Baptist Conference church here, real cool, not
uptight or anything. My wife and I are on one of the worship teams( we
are on the one that rocks, drums, guitars, ect). I also work with youth,
jr. high, must be crazy.
Very much into music. My favorite bands are VoL, Kings X, Third
Day, JoC, Galactic Cowboys, James Taylor, Son Volt, Golden Smog, Wilco,
Todd Snyder, and of course Mark Heard. I like finding and purchasing
indie CD of bands, that is my form of hunting recreation. And despite
the abuse, I really love late 80' -early 90's metal(Tamplin, Stryper,
Bloodgood, and the like).
My favorite pastimes are planning ways to survive Cornerstone, and
having a fine hand rolled cigar from the Dominican Republic. Also
wondering if the rmc b-b-q- refered to in here is just a joke, or a real
thing? Ive been there every year but 2,never saw it, but of course....i
wasnt looking either!!!

thanks for your support
tim

Nathan Girdner

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Well, this loks like fun, I guess I'll dive right in, too!

My name's Nathan Girdner, I'm 19, a sophomore at New Mexico Tech,
and a proud New Mexico native. :-) Right now I'm studying mechanical
engineering, although I kinda wish I was an english major (go figure).
I've been seriously considering applying for membership in the MOoRMC, if
that tells you anything. :-)

I've been a hard-core lurker on rmc for just over a year now, and I'm
slowly poking my head into the world of posting--It's kinda fun, although
I sympathize with the person who said his ideas often seem funnier/more
logical before he posts. Although I read most of the directly
music-related posts, I mostly enjoy the discussions of life, the universe
and everything that go on here, especially as it all relates to
christianity. And although I often vehemently disagree with him, I *love*
reading Jason's posts--I find them quite challenging and
thought-provoking.

Enough about that, what kind of music do I like? IN a word,
everything. I actively work to keep my tases as broad as possible,
although I still can't bring myself to tolerate rap or most country. :-)
Bands in my colection include: Sixpence None the Richer(!!!), Dryve,
Vigilantes of Love, Saviour Machine(!), Steve Taylor (my uncle played bass
for Some Band), Bruce Cockburn, Five Iron Frenzy, Mortal, Rich Mullens
(RIP), older Petra (pre_Unseen Power_), Tourniquet, Wagner, Prokofiev
(sp?), Mahler, Brahms, Joy Electric, the Cure, Sisters of Mercy, and the
Battlefield Band (awesome celtic music). I don't listen exclusively to
Christian music, but that's where I spend a lot of my time. I'm
definitely a lyrics man, so I find I enjoy bands like Sixpence or VoL that
much more because of their thoughtful, honest lyrics. Although there are
exceptions, I tend to avoid "mainstream" CCM like AA, Newsboys, and Carman
like the plague--it seems you really have to plow through a lot of musical
pablum to find the pearls. But despite that, I still spend time listening
to the Albuquerque Christian Rock station, KLYT.

Oh yes, I am indeed a christian, exactly what kind I haven't quite
figured out. I've recently begun studying theology, and I suppose I lean
rather to the reformed doctrines. But then again.... :-) I've also been
very struck by the need for missions work overseas, so that`s become
something of a "cause" for me--I would like to work overseas someday.

So anyway, that's a bit about me. Kudos to anyone who actually
stayed awake through all of that, I guess I'll go back to lurking for now.
:-)

In Christ,
-Nathan Girdner

|*************************| "So from upper rooms and empty tombs
|E-mail: ngir...@nmt.edu | Love is falling down on me."
|*************************| -Vigilantes of Love, "Sympathy"

Melody Kewl

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Hello Lovers. : )

My name is Melody Kewl.

I've been on RMC for a little while.

I like music - even some CCM.

My favorite things to do here are:

- Play with Jason
- this includes a prerequisite bitchiness
- Play with Jerry
- this also includes a prerequisite bitchiness
- Make fun of Dallas (when he's around)
- Troll for Ed

I approach this group with an attitude of mirth,
though this does not necessarily mean that I am
less than sincere in what I say. ; )

Some of my favorite artists are Tonio K., Sam
Phillips, Crystal Lewis, Amy Grant, and Jon
Gibson. Another of my favorite artists is Ashley
Cleveland.

I don't feel like writing anymore.

--
Joys and Sorrows,

M...... K...

"Yesterday I thought I'd seen it all
"I thought I'd climbed the highest wall
Now I see the learning never ends
And all I know to do is keep on walking
Walking 'round the bend..."

Jerry B. Ray

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

In article <34833782...@mitre.org>, Ji Bae <ji...@mitre.org> wrote:

>> , the Cure,

> Yeah! An RMCer who likes the Cure!! Woohoo! :)

I didn't know there was an RMCer who _didn't_ like the Cure. :-)

Jerry B. Ray

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

In article <65vig8$8bl$1...@hirame.wwa.com>, Matt Laswell <las...@wwa.com> wrote:

>I turn 27 in less than a week. I hope that at that point, I'll become as
>clueful as you're supposed to be by that age.

Not here...

Jason and Heather

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Jeff Elbel <mara...@badger1.net> wrote:

> stei...@primenet.com (The Atheist) wrote:
> >
> > Given that God has yet to triumph over evil, the promise of
> > Revelations remains unfulfilled, and everyone who placed their hopes
> > in that promise has been disappointed. If there is a truth to be
> > learned from Revelations, it's that it can't be trusted.
>
> apologies for the typical hit-and-run reply, but Jason, this
> conclusion seems reached by leaping a few logical and theological
> hurdles. a troll, yet.

Who's that walking over my bridge? ;)

I'm not so much making theological leaps as failing to make the leaps
that Christians usually do. There are plenty of leaps that they make,
to explain that God really _has_ triumphed over evil, even though it
continues to exist and work just as powerfully as ever, or that
Jesus really wasn't lying when he said that he'd be coming back
quickly.

If we were talking about anything but the Bible, they would find these
explanations as silly and unbelievable as I do, but because it _is_
the Bible they're talking about, they make these statements with a
straight face.

I've commented several times in the past on how Christianity relies
on orwellian use of language. In Christianity, and nowhere else, do
we refer to an enemy we're still struggling with as "defeated once
and for all". In Chrsitianity, and nowhere else, do we stretch the
"quickly" to mean "sometime in the next 10,000 years".

What's wrong with speaking plainly, with calling a spade a spade?
It may not be as comforting to someone living under persecution, but
self-deception doesn't really solve anything. The martyrs still die,
evil still exists, and Jesus still hasn't kicked ol' satan in the
head.

Jeff Lockwood

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

> Lisa Reid <lr...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> >
> > That's all about me. Anyone else care to intro themselves? We
> > haven't played this game in a while....

Hello. Jeff here. I'm 19 at the moment, at the University of Texas at
the moment, and a history major at the moment. I started reading this
little group last year on a lark, expecting it to be a place where I
would get to make fun of a lot of people talking about how great Carman
is. Was wrong, as i quickly discovered. Anyhoo, lots of transitions
for myself in the last year. Saw my faith strengthened and strengthened
and then lost relatively quickly. Funny how that happens. Now bouncing
around between agnosticism, atheism, and Unitarian Universalism, though
I am now an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church (do a Yahoo
church and you can be one too). Politically I tend toward anarchism.
Musically I like to pretend I can play the guitar and have delusions of
grandeur about being as good as the Edge. U2 is the greatest band ever,
followed in close order by CCR, the Clash, the Beatles, REM, Zep, VOL,
the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Uncle Tupelo, Neil Young, etc... I'm a big
Johnny Cash fan. Like Patti Smith too. Like lots of folks. Bookwise I
read lots of Irvine Welsh and Alisdair Gray, Ginsberg, HSThompson, et
al. Feed the historical mind with Noam Chomsky and Howard Zinn, among
others. Currently reading A Portrait of the Artist of a Young Man and
salivating over The Anthology of American Folk Music (which I hope to
get soon).

And I'm trying to save the world.

Jeff
--
The whites told only one side. Told it to please themselves.
Told much that is not true. Only his own best deeds, only

Wednesday

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

In article <marathon-011...@pm1-109.badger1.net>,
Jeff Elbel <mara...@badger1.net> wrote:
>dang. and here i thought with this thread heading, i would
>finally get my explanation of Bev-as-Sign-of-the-Apocalypse.

you mean you don't KNOW?!

I'm the whore of Babylon. SHEESH!!

-- weds. everything I told you about Hello Kitty was a LIE!!

P.S.: Will y'all please dig the followup headers? People keep not. Thanks.

Catherine Richardson

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Hey... this is kind of fun. Of course, we all like to talk about
ourselves...

I'm Catherine Richardson, and I've been reading and posting to rmc
sporadically (mostly in summers) for about 2.5 years. RMCers I've met in
real life are Scott McClare (who, alas, graduated and thus lost his 'net
access), Matthias Hembruch (another UWaterloo dude) and the inimitable Bev
White, whom I hope to see again some time 'cause we have some of each
other's CDs.

I'm in the final year of my undergrad career in Linguistics, hoping to
puruse graduate study in the UK. Second choice would be in the US.

My musical tastes run mostly to Renaissance and Baroque masses, and I
listen to CBC Radio Two (classical/jazz/eclectic), but I have made a few
CD purchases based solely on the recommendations of other RMCers (namely
VoL and F&J) and have been very pleased with them. I also enjoy Bruce
Cockburn and Rich Mullins.

And you are?

--
Catherine Richardson ric...@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
. . . only fifteen units away from the six-year B.A. . . .

Brian the Minnesotan

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

In article <65tl7b$5...@acmey.gatech.edu>, gt1...@prism.gatech.edu
(loserboy) wrote:

, mystery science
> theater 3000 (back in it's heyday on comedy central;

hmm...
I beg to differ....it's heyday was back when it was on KTMA23 here in
MPLS/St. Paul.....after that.....well....it got a lot slicker, but it's
still a great show.

Brian the Minnesotan (who's proud to claim Joel Hodgson as one of the
Frozen chosen :-) )

Jeff Elbel

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

dang. and here i thought with this thread heading, i would
finally get my explanation of Bev-as-Sign-of-the-Apocalypse.

bouncing things off the rubber sky,
jeff

| Farewell to Juliet | PO Box 1222 | w (310) 525-5518 |
| Sunny Day Roses | El Segundo, CA | h (310) 355-0533 |
| attn: Jeff Elbel | 90245-6222 USA | Sunny...@aol.com|
----------- http://www.netads.com/music/marathon ------------
avail. now: Farewell to Juliet "Grace and Dire Circumstances"

Cheef Dan

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Jeff Elbel (mara...@badger1.net) wrote:
: dang. and here i thought with this thread heading, i would
: finally get my explanation of Bev-as-Sign-of-the-Apocalypse.

Nope.

I don't think Bev's even visited Babylon.

Jeff Elbel

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

stei...@primenet.com (The Atheist) wrote:

> Given that God has yet to triumph over evil, the promise of
> Revelations remains unfulfilled, and everyone who placed their hopes
> in that promise has been disappointed. If there is a truth to be
> learned from Revelations, it's that it can't be trusted.

apologies for the typical hit-and-run reply, but Jason, this
conclusion seems reached by leaping a few logical and theological
hurdles. a troll, yet.

grace,

CabotR

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

In article <88100464...@sparc.tibus.net>, to...@crux.blackstar.co.uk (Tony
Bowden) writes:

<<Wednesday(wedn...@huitzilo.tezcat.com) wrote:
: fail to see the point of keeping the book of Revelations around this
: late in the game,>>

Grrrr...... It's the book of the Revelation. Not Revalations. Please, let's
get it right.

Sorry to de-lurk to bitch, but this is HUGE pet peeve of mine and I was gonna
explode if I didn't say something <g>. And by doing so, I'm probably jerking
someone's pet peeve chain myself ;-). Apologies all around.

Ann
Cab...@aol.com
"You can't live forever, Knight" Don Schanke, Forever Knight, Season 2
"Love like you'll live forever" Rich Mullins

Annie
Cab...@aol.com
"You can't live forever, Knight" Forever Knight, Second Season
"Love like you'll live forever" Rich Mullins

Shari Lloyd

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

On 1 Dec 1997 17:59:26 -0500, gt1...@prism.gatech.edu (loserboy)
wrote:

>Tim Brabender <bu...@webtv.net> wrote:
>>
>>Also wondering if the rmc b-b-q- refered to in here is just a joke, or a
>>real thing? Ive been there every year but 2,never saw it, but of
>>course....i wasnt looking either!!!
>

>it's definitely real...it's just usually pretty out of the way (i.e.
>hidden in the camping area between the encore 1 and 2 stages). there are
>usually fliers up describing its location.

plus a giant gumby

Shari

>glenn

Shari Lloyd sll...@suba.com sll...@tollbooth.org Chicago, IL
(The Phantom Tollbooth Mag) http://www.tollbooth.org
(Chicago & Wis. Area CCM Concerts) http://www.suba.com/~slloyd/
(Cornerstone '97 Festival page) http://cornerstone.jesusfreak.com
"I woke up in Escher's world today ...up's down, down is out,
out is in, stairways circle back to where you're been - time
falls, water crawls, are you listening." Chagall Guevara

Jeff Ford

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Jeff Lockwood (jef...@mail.utexas.edu) wrote:
: Hello. Jeff here. I'm 19 at the moment, at the University of Texas at

: the moment, and a history major at the moment.

Hi. I'm the other Jeff at the University of Texas. I'm 21; I graduated from
Virginia Tech in May with a BS in Math and a BS in Computer Science. I'm
currently pursuing a PhD in Computer Science. My music collection is about
80/20 Christian/secular, with favorite groups including U2, Plumb, JoC
(concert Thursday, yeah!), The Call, VoL, Third Day, and Sixpence. My other
interests including playing almost any sport, with basketball and ultimate
being the big two currently, watching sports, reading from a wide variety
of genres, and playing my old Nintendo. (Dragon Warrior rules!) My
picture's on my web page for the truly interested, but I am not available. ;-)

: Currently reading A Portrait of the Artist of a Young Man ...

This is good. I was forced into reading it in hs, but ended up liking it.
Unfortunately this convinced me to tackle _Ulysses_ which had its moments,
but they totalled about 150 pages of an 800 page book. I am currently
reading _The Book of God_ by Wangerin which is a pretty good novelization
of the Bible, and the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony.

--
Jeff Ford http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/jeffford
Watch this space -- Cool stuff to come

Brian the Minnesotan

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Hmm....
I suppose that I should jump in. My name's Brian the Minnesotan,
technically it's really Brian Behm, but let's forget about that for now,
because it's not really that important. I'm the king of rambling. I'm
really good at it, and sometimes, if someone's smart they'll tell me to
shut up. I've been on/off rmc for going on four years now, and have really
been active within the last 2.
Musically I fall all over the map, depends on the time of day....but
mostly I dig stuff like Moby, Adam Again, Da, 77's, OTR, The Choir (my
all-time favorite band), VOL (more about that in a second) and umpteen
other things (with about 500 pieces in my collection). Age wise I'll be 20
in February but I like to pretend that I'm older, not that it keeps me
from getting thrown out of bars while trying to see OTR, but....
In the meantime, over the summer I helped spark a big flare up of
controversy, when I helped ignite a Family Bookstore backlash. (Love
Cocoon is still a cool song) and am a Broadcasting student at a college
named Brown here in Minneapolis/St. Paul.
In my freetime (what's that?) when I'm not graphic designing? at the TV
station I work at, I like to bike, run, fence, bowl, and lounge around
(not neccesarily in that order) while, buying copious amounts of music,
and trying to abate my current singleness. I like to geek out over Fantasy
Football,and am crushed right now because my beloved Vikings played
pitifully against, undoubtedly one of the worst teams in the NFL.
I get around town in a bumper sticker festooned 122 thousand mile
reaching 88 buick LeSabre and right now I'm attending a Baptist church
called Woodland Hills, that really a Baptist Church in Indie-Nondie-Fundie
clothing. (It's really cool) I also (kind of) run a magazine called the
Update; which is on hiatus because it's in the proces of merging with a
10000 an issue quarterly....ok I've rambled long enough....

Brian the Minnesotan (who likes to write in parentheses after his name
instead of having a decent .sig like everyone else. Go figure.)

SamHag

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

In article <65v9cl$a...@nntp02.primenet.com>, stei...@primenet.com (Jason and
Heather) writes:

>Given that God has yet to triumph over evil,

Except for the Resurrection & changed lives, that might be true.

Sam Hagedorn
time changes everything, but truth
Jan Krist paraphrase

SamHag

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

In article <melody_kewl-ya02318...@news.earthlink.net>,
melod...@earthlink.net (Melody Kewl) writes:

>Another of my favorite artists is Ashley Cleveland.

Coming to Milwaukee in Feb, playing less than a mile from my house.

Now some about me.

I'm 45 years old, a divorced custodial parent of 2 college kids, Amy who
attends UW-Milwaukee and Brian who attends Trinity International Univ in
Deerfield, IL. I also have a 4 year old grandson.

I was introduced to RMC by the every so friendly Shari Lloyd about 2 years ago.
I've been a Christian since 1980 and have been involved in a variety of
Christian activities. I've hosted a radio show for 5 years, hosted a live
video show for 8 years, produced a video show, promoted concerts since 1986
(all types from Petra, Newsboys, Mortal, Michael Card, Sixpence, SC Chapman,
Altar Boys, the list goes on), have published a newspaper, and currently work
for a large CBS in Milwaukee called Something More.

My musical tastes are varied, but since my conversion I've listened to mostly
Chrisitan music. I like it and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Of the 4,000 or
so albums I have less that 15 aren't by a Christian artist or as a recent
Billboard refered to them, Artists of Faith. Because I have to listen to so
much music for my job (I try to hear almost everything that comes out) I like
music that's different. In any one week I'll listen to virtually every style of
music available from jazz to industrial. I'm more a song kind of guy (the
radio background) rather than a group guy or even an album guy. I really enjoy
early Christian music, it's often simple but oh so heart felt. My first
Christian friends were Jesus People (they actually started in Milwaukee) and
they introduced me to Christian Rock. I attend a non-denominational fellowship
and I'm often considered to liberal for conservatives and to conservative for
liberals, which is fine by me. I'm very positive by nature and am very secure
in my faith which revolves around Jesus, not people or a church.

Thanks for taking the time to read about me. This is a nice thread.

Peter Thomas Chattaway

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Jason and Heather (stei...@primenet.com) wrote:
: I'm not so much making theological leaps as failing to make the leaps
: that Christians usually do. There are plenty of leaps that they make,

: to explain that God really _has_ triumphed over evil, even though it
: continues to exist and work just as powerfully as ever, or that Jesus
: really wasn't lying when he said that he'd be coming back quickly.

Point of information: Where, exactly, does Jesus say this?

: What's wrong with speaking plainly, with calling a spade a spade?

And where would poetry be, if we all took that approach? Romance?
Prophecy? Art?

On a more serious level, I do believe a previous post-er said that
apocalyptic texts were written in code so the authorities would be left in
the dark. It makes some sense, that explanation, though I'm not sure it
applies in all cases.

: It may not be as comforting to someone living under persecution, but

: self-deception doesn't really solve anything. The martyrs still die,
: evil still exists, and Jesus still hasn't kicked ol' satan in the head.

Oh, sure he has, Satan's just too thick-skulled to feel it yet. :)

--
Peter T. Chattaway | "I don't mind if you don't like my manners.
16397 Glenmoor Ct. | I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad.

clive

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Jerry B. Ray wrote:

> > Yeah! An RMCer who likes the Cure!! Woohoo! :)
>
> I didn't know there was an RMCer who _didn't_ like the Cure. :-)

ahem!!. :)

> JRjr

clive

Brett J. Kopetsky

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Matt Laswell wrote:

> All my degrees are from Purdue, whose football
> team I'm hoping to see play in the Alamo Bowl later this month

Hey, Matt, can I come down for this too? (Of course, if I were to
actually travel south, I'd need a place to stay......)

Anyway, as long as I'm checking in on this thread, I might as well give
my bio too. I'm a 20 (very soon to be 21--woo-hoo headed to the
chocolate shop [Matt'll know what I mean]) year-old junior in honors
computer science at Purdue University, home of the butt-kicking
Boilermakers. During the day, you'll either find me in class, teaching
Intro to Programming to other CS majors, or at St. Tom's (the campus
Catholic church) taking care of my duties as secretary/treasurer of the
Executive Council there.

While working on those programming projects like the one that had me up
until 4 am this morning, you'll find me listening to anything from Bach
to George Winston to Styx to Steven Curtis Chapman to DC Talk to, well,
you get the picture. In the CCM area, I tend toward Caedmon's Call,
Three Crosses, Rich Mullins, Point of Grace, Steven Curtis Chapman,
Petra, Fold Zandura, and the Celebrant Singers. Yes, my tastes really
do run that diverse.

As far as my net.life goes, I started lurking on rmc and Usenet in
general in the fall of 1995. I didn't really get into posting until
over a year later. I did quite a bit of Usenet and web surfing during
my internship this summer, but I find that the 'net once again had to
take a backseat to real life when the school year started.

If you want to know any more about me, check the web site listed in the
.sig

Brett
--
Brett J. Kopetsky | St. Thomas Aquinas Center
kope...@cs.purdue.edu | Executive Council

Hans Jakup Eidisgard

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

ohh, maybe you could add me to the list ;)

hansjakup

loserboy

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Brian the Minnesotan <beh...@pioneerplanet.infi.net> wrote:

>loserboy wrote:
>
>> mystery science theater 3000 (back in it's heyday on comedy central;
>
> I beg to differ....it's heyday was back when it was on KTMA23 here in
>MPLS/St. Paul.....after that.....well....it got a lot slicker, but it's
>still a great show.

i've seen clips from those shows, and i can't say i was all that
impressed. heck, i'm not a big fan of season one, either. their peak was
with #424, _"manos": the hands of fate_. _laserblast_, their swansong
with comedy central, ranks up there as well.

>Brian the Minnesotan (who's proud to claim Joel Hodgson as one of the
>Frozen chosen :-) )

joel rocks. it's just too bad he hasn't done anything worth watching
after leaving (well, except for that episode of space ghost...)

glenn, who's seen an episode of _the tv wheel_ *shiver*
--
welcome to my world|where's my gun?|conform or be cast out|i'd hug your
neck and kiss your face|you took away my hero...|how is it i am found...?|
...and everything is grace|http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gt1636b

loserboy

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Jeff Ford <jeff...@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

>and playing my old Nintendo. (Dragon Warrior rules!)

oh crap...now that stupid dragon warrior theme song is stuck in my head.
sounds sorta like joy electric. ;-)

glenn, who's keeping his fingers crossed for dragon warrior 64

loserboy

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Brian the Minnesotan <beh...@pioneerplanet.infi.net> wrote:

>and am crushed right now because my beloved Vikings played pitifully
>against, undoubtedly one of the worst teams in the NFL.

...who just happen to be the defending nfl champions.

glenn

Bruce H. McIntosh

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

On 1 Dec 1997, Jason and Heather wrote:
> My other interests include guns of all types [1], knife fighting,
> zombie movies, fine liquor, philosophy, and my lovely wife Heather,
> who is not - as has been rumored - a figment of my imagination. [2]

Jason, if I ever get out to Phoenix again, we'll have to head for Tempe
for Great Big Ones and drinks in Ball Jars. :-)

On with the show... I'm Bruce McIntosh, age 33 as of Monday before
last. I'm married to my charming and splendiferous wife Susan (who is
now also my coworker); we met over BITNET (remember that?) (Take a bow,
Phil the Matchmaker :-) ). (I'm enthralled by parenthetical inserts in
my posts.) We have two girls, ages almost-4 and 1. We both are
bonafide NERDs, as we work at the Northeast Regional Data Center (NERDC)
at UF. I'd been what I call a hanger-on-around-church for most of my
life, but last May I met the living God :-). I play guitar in my
church's praise band and am into anything musical that's even remotely
related to Kerry Livgren. I've been into computers since the ninth
grade (a *LONG* time ago) and my first exposure to the Ohio Scientific
Challenger. I still cling tenaciously to my Heathkit, tho we have
started sprouting PCs so's the kids can run all those nifty educational
programs :-). I'm yet another conservative gun nut, tho I think Rush
Limbaugh is a blithering idiot. Dilbert, on the other hand, is the
epitome of cool. He's my role model, him and Marvin the Martian. :-)

Let's see... Jesus, wife, kids, guitars, guns, bicycles and routers...
that pretty much sums it up. Do not fold bend spindle or mutilate. No
hiking, fishing, boating, hunting or flash pictures. Keep of the grass.
Enjoy your national parks.

Bruce H. McIntosh scot...@afn.org http://www.afn.org/~scotsman
Still counting down / One more horizon / Fades in the distance / And now
As we are standing here
Two thousand down

klutzi

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Hi! I'm Lea, better known as Klutzi. I'm 27 & happily married (7 years on
12-29) to Jeff, a computer pro. I'm currently home on disability for back
problems. I love to cook, fool around on the computer, do cross-stitching &
listen to music.

My favorites include Petra, Whiteheart, Steve Camp, SCC, MWS, Steve Taylor,
Journey, Billy Joel, Styx, Kansas(old), Kerry Livgren, John Elefante, Randy
Stonehill, Kim Hill, AA, Newsboys, Bruce Carroll, Bash-n-the Code, Carmen,
Al Denson, Foreigner, Bangles, Genesis, Mark Farner, Keith Green, Weird Al,
Terry Taylor, ....... This list could go on forever. Oh, and I love
Christmas. (my tree goes up on my birthday -9/26). My husband & I have over
600 CDs in our collection.

Enough about me. Who's next?

--
Klutzi
jsp...@iquest.nospam.net

Jerry B. Ray

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

In article <661iur$7v0$1...@news.iquest.net>,
klutzi <kao...@geocities.nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi! I'm Lea, better known as Klutzi. I'm 27 & happily married (7 years on
>12-29) to Jeff, a computer pro. I'm currently home on disability for back

>problems. I love to cook, fool around on the computer...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, that explains those back problems. :-)

>My favorites include Petra, Whiteheart, Steve Camp, SCC, MWS, Steve Taylor,
>Journey, Billy Joel, Styx, Kansas(old), Kerry Livgren, John Elefante, Randy
>Stonehill, Kim Hill, AA, Newsboys, Bruce Carroll, Bash-n-the Code, Carmen,
>Al Denson, Foreigner, Bangles, Genesis, Mark Farner, Keith Green, Weird Al,
>Terry Taylor, ....... This list could go on forever.

Good stuff in there. I like older Petra and not quite so older Whiteheart.
Journey is one of my favorite bands, though their new one was a bit of
a disappointment. Saw Styx live a few months back, and it was a great
show. I like Elefante, but I wish he'd do another Mastedon project-his
solo albums are WAY too CCM for me. I liked Bash for the album with the
Sparks (which I'd like to find on CD) and bits of _Big Mouth_, but it was
all downhill from there. "Carman" is actually the correct spelling. The
Bangles had really cool songs until they started getting airplay. Genesis
is cool, but I prefer the earlier Phil Collins stuff to _Invisible Touch_
and beyond. And those are my random unsolicited comments on your musical
tastes. :-)

Cheef Dan

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

: > I love to cook, fool around on the computer...

: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: Well, that explains those back problems. :-)

<PYTHON>You know, I object to all this sex on the television</PYTHON>

Matt Laswell

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Jerry B. Ray (vap...@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:
: In article <65vig8$8bl$1...@hirame.wwa.com>, Matt Laswell <las...@wwa.com> wrote:

: >I turn 27 in less than a week. I hope that at that point, I'll become as
: >clueful as you're supposed to be by that age.

: Not here...

Well, I didn't really think so. I'd have to cram a whole lot of
life experience into less than a week and that doesn't sound
like much fun.

- matt

Matt Laswell

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Brian the Minnesotan (beh...@pioneerplanet.infi.net) wrote:

: Brian the Minnesotan (who's proud to claim Joel Hodgson as one of the
: Frozen chosen :-) )

Joel's Presbyterian?

- matt

Scott Fincher

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

I've certainly enjoyed perusing all the little biographies that have
sprung up here lately, and it's only fair, I suppose, for me to dump my
little heart out for everyone else to read.

So here you go, then.

I'm 21 years old, a senior at Texas A&M University, and I've been posting on
and off since early 1995, and lurking since '94. I'll be getting my BS in
Atmospheric Science in May, assuming all goes well. I hail from Austin, TX,
and certainly hope to move back there in the next year, although I don't know
how easy it will be for me to get a job there, unless I go into environmental
consulting on air pollution. Or, I could get a job on television, which would
really bug me - but everyone expects me to do that, so hey. So long as I can
support myself, and save up enough money to get my girlfriend a nice little
engagement ring, I'll be happy.

And I'm supposing the above comment is likely going to be enough to get
me booted right out of the MOoRMC, but if that's the price I have to
pay... :-)

As far as non-music stuff goes, I'm something of a videogame freak. It
all goes back to that Atari 2600 my parents bought me as a munchkin, I'm
sure. Television I could really do without, except that it brings me the
modern day marvel that is the Simpsons, and also Texas Rangers baseball.
I also enjoy playing racquetball whenever I can, and I like to cook when
I have time. Texas A&M football is another guilty pleasure/passion of
mine - I recently acquired tickets to the Big 12 Championship game in San
Antonio where the Ags will be mercilessly slaughtered by Nebraska.

To be on topic, I guess I should mention something about my musical
tastes. My first exposure to Christian music of any kind was some really
old MWS, closely followed by Petra. By early high school, I had gotten
into Deliverance and Tourniquet, and was just beginning to figure out
that I didn't want to have much to do with mainstream CCM. In 1990, I
heard my first tidbit of King's X ("Legal Kill", if you care) and by the
time I saw them on the KX4 tour I was hooked. They're my all time
favorite band, and I have no problem admitting that I drool and grovel
about them. Other faves include U2, Sixpence, VOL, and The Choir. I dig
lots of other bands as well, but these 5 are the only ones that merit my
buying all of their releases. Also musically related is that I've taught
myself to play bass guitar in the past 3 years or so, with Doug Pinnick,
Geddy Lee, and (oddly enough) J.J. Placensio among my top influences.

I'm a born-and-raised Southern Baptist, and while there's a lot of crap
associated with the denomination that I don't like, I'm adjusted to it
and it's where I'll stay.

Pet peeves: They tend to be pretty vague things that I can ramble on and
on about without ever making a point. Examples: the CBA/GMA biz and the
commerciality of CCM, the whole "Is [*****] a Christian band?" thing,
irresponsible newsgroup posters (I'm guilty, too)... I'm sure there's
more, but why dwell on the negative? I'm enough of a pessimist without
encouraging it in myself :-)

The end, I suppose. I think I'm going to file this post away so that when
this thread come back in a few years, I won't have to type all this
again. :-)

Scott Fincher Sfin...@tamu.edu
--- ---
"Sometimes it can't be done,
but then - there is wisdom." - King's X

Tim Brabender

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

...so I guess the big, giant Pokey I saw wasnt real.....or was
it?........

still looking for Mr. Gumby
tim

Michael A. Vickers

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

while under the influence of a chili onion supreme from wally's weiner world,
Scott Fincher <SWF...@acs.tamu.edu> erupted:

>To be on topic, I guess I should mention something about my musical
>tastes. My first exposure to Christian music of any kind was some really
>old MWS, closely followed by Petra. By early high school, I had gotten
>into Deliverance and Tourniquet, and was just beginning to figure out
>that I didn't want to have much to do with mainstream CCM. In 1990, I
>heard my first tidbit of King's X ("Legal Kill", if you care) and by the
>time I saw them on the KX4 tour I was hooked. They're my all time
>favorite band, and I have no problem admitting that I drool and grovel
>about them.

*blink*

i had to make sure i didnt write all of that myself. that almost
describes my listening experience. i think my first exposure was a gift
purchase - the original mws project album, complete with cheese yellow
cover and full beard. he looks younger now. how'd they do that? the
first christian album i purchased was petra's _beat the system_.

anyway, i'm a few years older than you, so by the time i got to
deliverance and tourniquet i was early junior college. around the same
time i discovered king's x as well - _gretchen goes to nebraska_. for
me, it was my first taste of musical greatness. i still get goosebumbs
on the back of my neck when i listen to the instrumental break in
'pleiades'.

>Other faves include U2, Sixpence, VOL, and The Choir. I dig
>lots of other bands as well, but these 5 are the only ones that merit my
>buying all of their releases.

yer alright.

>Also musically related is that I've taught
>myself to play bass guitar in the past 3 years or so, with Doug Pinnick,
>Geddy Lee, and (oddly enough) J.J. Placensio among my top influences.

who does jj play for?

i have to shamedly admit that i only discovered rush a month ago. i've
never even listened to a single song. (i'm kinda wincing at this moment
wondering what jerry is going to say) what a talented trio.

oh well. your video gaming origins sound like mine, except i started
with an intellivision. i bitched until my parents traded it for a 2600,
but i sorta wish i woulda kept it. the quality of gameplay was better...
it just didnt have all the warez the 2600 had.

oh well. gonna go play quake on my toshiba laptop now (:

Michael

allthesleepingneverwakingalltheleavesinneedofrakingallthebusinessundertaking
allmybonesandmusclesachingthoughtandmindaresurelyflakingoverluncheonhandsare
shakingsuretyofnomistakingcarsandhornsandglassisbreaking - 'dogman', kings x
--[Michael A. Vickers]-----------------------------[mavi...@cryogen.com]--

CPARKS43993

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

In article <19971202064...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,

SamHag <sam...@aol.com> wrote:
>In article <melody_kewl-ya02318...@news.earthlink.net>,
>melod...@earthlink.net (Melody Kewl) writes:
>
>>Another of my favorite artists is Ashley Cleveland.
>
>Coming to Milwaukee in Feb, playing less than a mile from my house.

<quietly, so as not to awake the milwaukee music police, who would
immediately take steps to prevent so cool a concert if they knew about
it>

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!

</quietly, so as not to awake the milwaukee music police, who would
immediately take steps to prevent so cool a concert if they knew about
it>

Details, man. i want details.

As for me, i am a 36 year-old Catholic who works in a grad school
admissions office (power over people's futures....<evil laugh>) and likes
a bunch of artists the few folks outside of this newsgroup have heard of:
(in no particular order) Vigilantes of Love, Dime Store Prophets (late and
lamented), the Call, Ashley Cleveland, Sarah Jahn, Dryve, Buddy and Julie
Miller, DA/Swirling Eddies, Steve Taylor, Sixpence, Kings X (sometimes),
the Choir, Randy Stonehill... i like a whole bunch of styles of music,
but know very little about most of them (e.g. cajun, bluegrass, celtic,
classical).

i'm a proud :-) member of the Monastic Order of RMC. i've been reading the
group since about 1993 or thereabouts.

i write and edit for the Phantom Tollbooth (http://www.tollbooth.org).

And that is approximately that.

--
skr...@cris.com is chris parks >< http://www.concentric.net/~skrapc

snail

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

What Clive said :-)
--
snail | sn...@careless.net.au | http://www.careless.net.au/~snail/
I'm a man of my word. In the end, that's all there is. - Avon

Scott Fincher

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Michael A. Vickers wrote:

> [...] i discovered king's x as well - _gretchen goes to nebraska_. for

> me, it was my first taste of musical greatness. i still get goosebumbs
> on the back of my neck when i listen to the instrumental break in
> 'pleiades'.

Good Lord, yes. That, and the opening riff in "Out of the Silent Planet."
_Gretchen_ has ended being my favorite album by far - there's not an even
mediocre song on it from start to finish. The whole thing is just beautiful.

> who does jj play for?

Well, he plays for Plumb now, but he played on Sixpence's _This Beautiful
Mess_ and then did the studio work for their new self-titled album (all
except for one track that Chris Donohue wrote).

> i have to shamedly admit that i only discovered rush a month ago. i've
> never even listened to a single song. (i'm kinda wincing at this moment
> wondering what jerry is going to say) what a talented trio.

I can't say that I own a good cross-section of Rush myself... but if you're
going to start somewhere, start with _Moving Pictures_. Or _Chronicles_.
It's kinda cool that all of their old stuff has been re-mastered and
re-released of late.

> oh well. your video gaming origins sound like mine, except i started
> with an intellivision. i bitched until my parents traded it for a 2600,
> but i sorta wish i woulda kept it. the quality of gameplay was better...
> it just didnt have all the warez the 2600 had.

Heh. Sometimes I like to think about that gosh-awful 2600 version of
football whilst I play NFL Quarterback Club '98 on my N64.

Jason and Heather

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

SamHag <sam...@aol.com> wrote:
> stei...@primenet.com (Jason and Heather) writes:
> >
> > Given that God has yet to triumph over evil,
>
> Except for the Resurrection & changed lives, that might be true.

Once again we see how Christianity relies on novel definitions and
doublethink. If we use your definition, then it's fair to say that
Japan defeated the U.S. in WWII. After all, they beat us at Pearl
Harbor, and changed the lives of thousands of American soldiers by
killing them.

But you understand how silly that claim would be.

The claim that Jesus has beaten evil is even more silly, because
while we aren't still attacking Japan, the forces of evil are
supposedly still attacking Christians to this very day. Some defeated
opponent!

jason
r.m.c resident atheist

--
"The man who marries a modern woman marries a woman who expects to vote
like a man, smoke like a man, have her hair cut like a man, and go without
restrictions and without chaperones and obey nobody."
BOBBED HAIR - John R. Rice, 1941 http://www.primenet.com/~steiners/

Scott Fincher

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Scott Fincher wrote:

> _Gretchen_ has ended being my favorite album by far...

Should be "ended up being". Doh!

Patrick McNamara

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

In article <3481BA00...@mail.utexas.edu>, Lisa Reid
<lr...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> That's all about me. Anyone else care to intro themselves? We haven't
> played this game in a while....
>

> Lisa

OK, what the heck.... I lurk 99.9 percent of the time, haven't posted in a
couple months, but...

I'm Patrick McNamara, 34 (seems like the second or third oldest here so far
:/ ), married (Rachel), three kids (see sig), chemical engineer for an
industrial gas company in Pennsylvania. Originally from NY.

Music: Iona, Mark Heard, Lost Dogs, Seventy Sevens, PFR, Sixpence, most
anything labelled "new wave" or punk from the 80's (Talking Heads, Devo,
Clash, Elvis Costello, Housemartins, Ultravox, Ramones, Blondie, Madness,
Oingo Boingo, PIL, Big Audio Dynamite, Heaven 17, etc). Lately drifting
towards Celtic and classical stuff.

Other interests: Science fiction (books more than movies, Phil K Dick
probably my favorite author), history (mostly WWII), Mac bigot,
Flyers/Islanders fan (have a hard time justifying $65 for a seat in the new
Spectrum, tho), poor but avid golfer, occasional skier (expensive w/kids),
more-than-occasional hiker (Adirondacks, upstate NY), and the only things
worth watching on TV are the Simpsons, X-Files and Seinfeld (and the
Weather Channel when a good winter storm in brewing :)

Later.

Patrick McNamara, dad to Connor (11/93), Colleen (5/95), Sean (5/97)
pmcn...@enter.net
"If more sheep are cloned, don't be surprised if they come out looking like
modern day journalists." -Mike Royko

Joel Turner

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Hi everyone,
I feel downright impolite not participating in this thread, so I'll
throw in my two bucks worth...

I've been checking out rmc for about a year now. I glance at most
everything found here (I guess that's my obsessive streak coming
through), but I mostly lurk, unless I can't resist the temptation to
respond to something rather outrageous. I find myself responding most
often to Jason (r.m.c. resident atheist, who lives in the area) and
Peter Thomas Chattaway. Maybe this is a character flaw of mine, though
if it is many others are afflicted with it as well.

I'm 36 years old, a design technician at a local utility, and my work
allows me to listen to music most of the time if I wish. I've been
married for 14 years to Julie, who homeschools our 3 kids, John (7
11/12), Jackson (5 1/2) and Jillian (1 1/2). (I know the J thing annoys
some people. My folks and my sister's family are afflicted with it as
well.)

My favorite Christian groups include The Lost Dogs (and all of their
associated projects), Mortal/Fold Zandura, Mike Knott and all of his
projects, Undercover, Deitiphobia, Steve Taylor, and a bunch of others
I'm sure I'll think of as soon as I send this off. I have about 1600 LPs
and CDs, probably 300 of which are Christian. On the secular side, I
like Genesis (and all of their solo projects), Peter Hammill, Rick
Wakeman, John Cale, Al Stewart, Gary Numan, Mike Oldfield, Jean-Michel
Jarre, and a lot of other people that 99.9% will have never heard of.
(How about Horslips? See what I mean?)

Our family, after being "spiritually homeless" wandering around various
churches for the last few years, has found a delightfully strange little
church that meets on Sunday nights in a Jewish synagogue. Many of their
ideas (no building program, allowing laymen in the pulpit, etc.) were a
refreshing change from some of the legalistic and/or authoritarian
places we've been to. I didn't think it possible, but I think we've
found a church we can call home, after giving up hope that such a thing
were possible.

Other than music, computer stuff, and reading, I have little in the way
of hobbies. Kids seem to take up most of my time, but I don't mind.

Pardon my ramblings, thanks for listening.

Joel
joelt...@earthlink.net

Wednesday

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

MSJanke <msj...@aol.com> wrote:
>My name is Michael, also. I am a 22 year old business major at Azusa Pacific
^^^^^
OH, what a CUTE USENET post! *BERNADETTE!* Come to Azusa!

*begins beating up on withholding party with furniture of increasing size*

GIVE IT!
GIVE IT!
GIVE IIIIIT!

-- weds, not giving back charlotte, either
--
It's always the same. It's not easy to keep::::::wednsday@[tezcat.com|chiark.
myself contained. Sit back and relax? How::::::greenend.org.uk] - bev white

snail

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

Ok, my turn

my real name is Sean Volke, however I've been using 'snail' online since
1989. I'm 29 and looking forward to my 30th next August. Started using
online bulletin boards around 1983/84 and got onto the net when I
started at Wollongong Uni in 1987 and have been online ever since with
the exception of 1991. I think I started reading rmc in 1990 but this may
be a figment of my imagination and certainly didn't start participating until
a couple of years later. I went out with two girls when I was 16 but have
been single ever since thus validating my membership of the MOoRMC.
I live in Sydney, Australia and broadcast a christian music programme
on a local community radio station once a week.

My musical tastes are quite diverse including: Petra, Amy Grant, battered
fish, Mortification, Sam Phillips, Ghoti Hook, Ceasefire, Speaking of Sarah,
Fleming & John, Sal Paradise (now defunct), Frank's Fishbowl, Pale,
Callous, Saviour Machine, Swirling Eddies, Daniel Amos, Deliverance,
Dakoda Motor Co., Havalina Rail Co., the idea of north, the Quick and the
Dead, Paramaecium, Six Feet Deep, Argyle Park, Circle of Dust, The
Mercy Bell, 5Fe, Klank, Larry Norman, Rez, Rebecca St James, Iona,
King's X, Kings College Choir (and choral stuff generally, christian or
otherwise), and others.

Non christian stuff includes: The Angels, Midnight Oil, INXS, Queen,
AC/DC, U2, Warumpi, Peter Sculthorpe, Phil Glass, Clannad, Laurie
Anderson, Run DMC, Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprosy, Ben Britten,
Metallica (older stuff), Split Enz (but not Crowded House), Ministry,
Sisters of Mercy, Nick Cave, and lots of others.

I also love reading, particularly SF, favourite authors include: Egan,
Dick, Pratchett, Asimov, Bradbury, Bear, Lem, Turner, Rosenblum,
Griffiths, Friedman, Brooks, Feist, Tolkien, Pohl, Simak. I am a big
fan of movies of all sorts, have attended the Sydney Film Festival
for the last five years as well as being involved in a local fim society.

I fancy myself as a bit of a socialist, I'm a christian with the occasional
leaning towards agnosticism and atheism. I currently attend an anglican
church, although I've previously been in a baptist (dad was a baptist
minister who became an athiest and a communist). I spent ten years in
the Uni system and currently hold a BA (Philosophy, History and
Philosophy of Science) and a GradDip (Librarianship), 90% of a
B of Computer Science, and various other bits and pieces. I'm currently
employed as a reference librarian with the NSW Parliamentary Library
(read dream job) however my contract expires just before Christmas :(

I am also given to extreme verbosity :-) and I spend way too much time
on Usenet and there are bushfires 10 minutes drive south of my house,
even though I live in inner west suburbia (35 minutes drive from the
Sydney CBD, 20 minutes from the site of 2000 Olympic Games).

bye
snail

MSJanke

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

How fun. I'm game

My name is Michael, also. I am a 22 year old business major at Azusa Pacific

University, located in sounthern CA and home to the band Bakersfield, who will
someday hit it big, and Pushstart Wagon. I've worked at a Christian retailer
for four years. Lived all over the state of Washington and also Alaska and
California. I'm really into tennis, movies, golf, reading, a few tv shows
(Seinfeld, Friends, Party of Five and occasionally Star Trek Voyager), but most
of all:

Music. I have pretty diverse tastes, and listen to everything from pop and
rock to country to metal to classical. Mainly I like pop/rock stuff, both
Christian and mainstream. My favorite decade from music is the 80's. Favorite
80's song: "When I See You Smile" by Bad English, and coolest 80's video: "Take
On Me," by AhHa.

All time favorite artists: Petra (I grew up on them), Cindy Morgan, Amy
Grant, Michael W Smith, White Heart, dc Talk, Peter Cetera, Shania Twain and
anything composed by John Williams

Others I love are: Steven Curtis Chapman, Cheri Keaggy, Martina McBride,
Belinda Carlisle, Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Mariah Carey, Celine
Dion, Whitney Houston, Vanessa Williams, Guardian, Out of the Grey, Point of
Grace, Rebecca St James, Carolyn Arends, Bryan White, George Strait and Brooks
and Dunn.

But I'll listen to most anything except hard rap and the more authentic
alternative stuff.

Michael Janke
Cindy Morgan NET
http://members.aol.com/MSJanke/cindy/index.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hot: Come On Over, Shania Twain
Behind the Eyes, Amy Grant
Music of Christmas, Steven Curtis Chapman
Anastasia soundtrack

Brendt Waters

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

cpea...@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Chuck Pearson) wrote:

>yes, i follow Jesus. poorly, but i do follow. not that you asked, but if you
>listen to me too long i'm sure you would, for one reason or another.

Is it just me or could this be a Rich Mullins lyric? :-)

Brendt

David Murray

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

Lisa Reid wrote in message <3481BA00...@mail.utexas.edu>...

>That's all about me. Anyone else care to intro themselves? We haven't
>played this game in a while....

Sure. Everybody likes to talk about themselves!

The name in my sig file is my real name. I answer to "Dave" or "David" or
just about anything else if I think someone's talking to me. I live in a
rural section of south western North Carolina called Rutherford County.
We're about an hour from any bonafide city (Gastonia/Charlotte, NC;
Asheville, NC; or Spartanburg, SC). I've lived here for the past 31+ years
and nowhere else, so now you know my age. I have two siblings: a brother and
a sister who are both several years younger than me. My sister is married,
but my brother and I haven't found anyone stupi . . . I mean . . . the right
person yet. I quit worrying about "finding the right person" four or five
years ago. I decided to let the right person find me, and I've been pretty
content ever since I made that decision.

My interest and involvement in and with music is diverse. Some of my
favorite artists include Petra, Bruce Hornsby, Michael W. Smith, Gold City,
Dave Brubeck, Steve Earle, Ray Stevens, and The Martins among MANY others in
various genres that span classical, jazz, southern gospel, pop and rock. At
one time or another I have promoted concerts, written critical music
reviews, written and arranged songs, worked in Christian retail, taught
music theory at the college level, and been a minister of music. I've also
performed as a southern gospel pianist, rock keyboardist, choir member,
orchestra/band member, and piano soloist for church or church type settings.
I'm still involved in several of these areas consistently, while others come
and go. Naturally, I am also a consumer. I purchase music and attend
concerts regularly and frequently. I've seen and experienced most of the
ball of wax that is Music and consider myself fortunate for the experience.

I enjoy reading "pulp" or "consumable" or "easy" authors like Dick Francis
and John Grisham. I'm also particularly fond of some of the classic American
writers like Mark Twain, John Steinbeck and William Faulkner. I read
National Geographic, Computer Shopper, Entertainment Weekly, and a few other
magazines from time to time. I used to be a real Batman comics freak when DC
used to do the big mega crossovers like the Knightfall series, but I've lost
interest of late.

I've probably averaged seeing between one and two movies (at the theatre)
per week for the 10 several years. I'm partial to action and comedy over
drama and art films. The best movies I've seen in the past few weeks are
_The Rainmaker_ and _Starship Troopers_.

I found rmc about a year ago when I purchased a modem for the first time and
discovered the addictive nature of the internet. I shied away from rmc after
about a month, but then I got involved again around February or March of
1997. I've been a regular ever since.

Dave Murray / db-m...@rfci.net
reply by removing the dash from the address above
visit my homepage http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/1005
Making hay while the sun shines

Victor Javier Hinojosa

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

Ok - My turn.

I'm Victor - a native Texan who somehow ended up
in northern Indiana for graduate school. I'm working on
a PhD in International Relations (I study Latin America -
human rights and economic development stuff) at Notre
Dame. I'm 24, single (how do I join MOoRMC??).
Musically, my two heroes are the late Rich Mullins
and Steve Taylor. I listen to those two, Chagall, the 77s,
Lost Dogs, Mark Heard, Michael Card, Guardian, the Ragamuffins
(Jimmy A, Elias, etc..), Stonehill, Keaggy, Sixpence, and lots of others.
When I stray from Christian music it's generally for Latin stuff
(salsa/merengue). So (like everybody else it seems) I have
a wide range of tastes in music.
When I'm not studying or lurking on rmc (been doing
that for over a year now) you can likely find me enjoying
a good cup of coffee and a good conversation! I also
really enjoy being outside (weather permitting). I'm a
sports fan and follow the Braves and my beloved Baylor Bears.
I'm also very active in my church and in a graduate Bible study
on campus.
Well - I think that covers it. It was
likely more than you wanted to know!

Grace and Peace,
Victor

Kalea

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

Marc Koenig wrote in message <347F8F...@navix.net>...
>Hey, I'm new around this ng, so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name
>is Bethany Koenig, and I'm a 13 y o Christian. >
>Bethany

Hey you guys,
I am new to this group too; sort of been lurking for a while and decided to
join in. My name is Kara and I am a 22 year old senior at OU (that's
University of Oklahoma, not Ohio)!! I am a sociology major though I'm not
really sure what I want to do when I grow up. My major interests lie in
music; JOC (Concert in Dallas Saturday night!!!!), Plumb ,Amy Grant, etc.
I love to sing and hope someday to pursue that interest. I also love to
dance and am addicted to the 'net and e-mail. Anyways, that's about it!

--Kara--

Jerry B. Ray

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In article <6622bi$b...@beast.connix.com>,

Michael A. Vickers <mavi...@cryogen.com> wrote:

>who does jj play for?

As others have said, he played bass for Sixpence until recently,
playing on _This Beautiful Mess_, _Tickets For A Prayer Wheel_, and most
of their new one. Plays a cool 6-string bass. Neet! He's with Plumb
now, but it doesn't really seem like he gets to shine as much with them,
at least in the couple of times that I've seen them.

>i have to shamedly admit that i only discovered rush a month ago. i've
>never even listened to a single song. (i'm kinda wincing at this moment
>wondering what jerry is going to say) what a talented trio.

I only got into Rush through a guy who lived across the hall from me
in my dorm about 5-6 years back. I subsequently sat front-row at
the _Roll The Bones_ tour in Atlanta (and Alex did a tomahawk chop to
my Braves shirt, too :-).

Rush is cool. _Chronicles_ is a really good place to start, and _Roll
The Bones_ is my favorite that's come out since then.

Jerry B. Ray

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In article <slrn689b04...@jinx.silas.unsw.edu.au>,
snail <sn...@careless.net.au> wrote:

>my real name is Sean Volke, however I've been using 'snail' online since
>1989. I'm 29 and looking forward to my 30th next August.

I didn't know you were older than me. I always thought you were
younger, for some reason...

>I think I started reading rmc in 1990 but this may
>be a figment of my imagination and certainly didn't start participating until
>a couple of years later.

I think I first got into Usenet around 1990, and r.m.c. wasn't around yet.
I don't remember when it was created, but I want to say that it was 1991.

>I am also given to extreme verbosity :-) and I spend way too much time
>on Usenet and there are bushfires 10 minutes drive south of my house,
>even though I live in inner west suburbia (35 minutes drive from the
>Sydney CBD, 20 minutes from the site of 2000 Olympic Games).

Well, good luck with that, then, from somebody who lived 20 minutes from
the site of the 1996 Olympic Games and worked 0 minutes from the site of
the 1996 Olympic Games. :-) So, can I stay at your house if I make it down
for the Games? :-)

Jerry B. Ray

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In article <pmcnamara-ya024080...@news.enter.net>,
Patrick McNamara <pmcn...@enter.net> wrote:

>anything labelled "new wave" or punk from the 80's (Talking Heads, Devo,
>Clash, Elvis Costello, Housemartins, Ultravox, Ramones, Blondie, Madness,
>Oingo Boingo, PIL, Big Audio Dynamite, Heaven 17, etc).

You are the man. :-) I've kind of burned out on the usual 80s stuff
that they play on the pop stations' 80's nights around here, and I'm
starting to drift toward the less-mainstream stuff. Just bought a
PIL CD a week or so back.

Jerry B. Ray

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In article <19971203040...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
MSJanke <msj...@aol.com> wrote:

>My favorite decade from music is the 80's. Favorite
>80's song: "When I See You Smile" by Bad English, and coolest 80's video: "Take
>On Me," by AhHa.

No, no, no. The coolest song from the 80s was "Everybody Wants To Rule
The World" from Tears For Fears. And the guy who hosts the House of Retro
Pleasure on Atlanta's 99X agrees with me. (He's the same guy that's
way into VoL and hosts 99X's Locals-Only show.

Will McDonald

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In <65vig8$8bl$1...@hirame.wwa.com> las...@wwa.com (Matt Laswell) writes:

>I guess I'll play. Only fair, since I've been reading about everybody
>else.
>
>Lessee...
>
>I'm a 26 year old software developer currently living in Austin, TX

(a.k.a. "The Promised Land")

>where I recently moved from the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois.

(a.k.a. "The Slough of Despair")

[grande snippe]

>I visit my family in Dallas and have guilt because I forget to get
>together with rmc regular and all-around good guy Will McDonald.

You should feel guilty. I know women here in the metroplex... Do I
need to continue?

Will

--
"In Lubbock [Texas] we grew up with two main things. God loves you
and he's gonna send you to hell, and that sex is bad and dirty

ph...@followup.com

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In article <3481BA00...@mail.utexas.edu>,
Lisa Reid <lr...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> That's all about me. Anyone else care to intro themselves? We haven't
> played this game in a while....

OK, here goes. My name is Phil, I'm 27, married, with 1 child (who says
you can't consider a dog a child?!?!?), and live in Memphis, TN. I've
officially come out of lurking status here just recently (well, in the
last year, anyways), but I still can't be considered a regular
contributor. That's due in part to my workload, as well as my ISP's
crummy newsgroup server that doesn't seem to get all the posts (which
explains why I'm posting this by DejaNews - I never saw the original
post, so I thought I'd go dig it up just to see what this was all about).
Oh, you've probably noticed by now my love for comments inside
parentheses. Sorry.

I'm a computer geek. Although I have no real job description or title, my
responsibilities run the gamut from network administration stuff to
database stuff to some lite programming stuff to computer support stuff
to ... well ... stuff. I also do graphics and web design (so if anyone
wants to pay lots of $$ to have a website designed, I'm your man).

My musical tastes are varied: rock, classic rock, pop, heavy metal, hard
rock, speed metal, thrash metal, metal, college music, Christian,
Contemporary Christian, Christian Rock, praise & worship ... (don't you
just love labels and classifications?!?). Let's just say I like lots of
stuff (I've really gotten into acoustic guitar stuff lately). Some
Christian artists I'm listening to now are Caedmon's Call, Out of the
Grey, PFR, Rich Mullins (just bought TWABAIRI, vol. 1 & 2 - great
stuff!), Jars of Clay. Secular artists I like are Queensryche (older
stuff), King's X (Gretchen, man, Gretchen), Rush, Joe Satriani, Toad the
Wet Sprocket. I don't own alot of secular stuff anymore (just my
convictions), but you can find me switching to the local rock or
alternative stations when our Christian station is playing those stupid
"you too can get rich by selling (stock, bonds, coffee, vitamins, [insert
your product here])" commercials.

Oh, well ... you probably know way more about me now than you wanted. But
you asked for it.

Phil <><
"We owe Him every honor that is in our power to give Him.
Our everlasting grief lies in giving Him anything less." - A. W. Tozer

Will McDonald

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In <348368...@mail.utexas.edu> Jeff Lockwood

<jef...@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

>> Lisa Reid <lr...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>> >
>> > That's all about me. Anyone else care to intro themselves? We
>> > haven't played this game in a while....
>
>Hello. Jeff here. I'm 19 at the moment, at the University of Texas
at
>the moment, and a history major at the moment.

Jeff is a man in a state of flux.

>Politically I tend toward anarchism.

No surprise here! ;-) (But he's a darn nice guy -- just a little
quiet for an anarchist... Maybe it was the presence of too many other
talky people crowded about two little tables watched over by the velvet
visage of Elvis Presley -- or not.)

>Musically I like to pretend I can play the guitar and have delusions
of
>grandeur about being as good as the Edge. U2 is the greatest band
ever,
>followed in close order by CCR, the Clash, the Beatles, REM, Zep, VOL,
>the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Uncle Tupelo, Neil Young, etc... I'm a
big
>Johnny Cash fan. Like Patti Smith too. Like lots of folks.

Oh man... Why, OH WHY, didn't we talk music at the table in Austin!?!?

Did ya see U2 in San Antonio? I just saw them in Houston and they were
in top form -- the new stuff sounded better than the album and they
played a bunch of old stuff too: I Will Follow, New Years Day, Pride, I
Still Haven't Found..., All I Want is You, Desire (acoustic on two
guitars), etc...

They will be broadcasting their Mexico City concert tonight on Showtime
at 10pm if you have access...

>And I'm trying to save the world.

That's good... Keep working on your end and I'll take this end.

Matt Laswell

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

Will McDonald (wmc...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

: In <65vig8$8bl$1...@hirame.wwa.com> las...@wwa.com (Matt Laswell) writes:
: >I guess I'll play. Only fair, since I've been reading about everybody
: >else.
: >
: >Lessee...
: >
: >I'm a 26 year old software developer currently living in Austin, TX

: (a.k.a. "The Promised Land")

You know, I generally liked the Chicago area. But the sun came out
this morning here in Austin and it's supposed to be in the mid 60s.
Given that, I find it hard to disagree with you.

: >where I recently moved from the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois.

: (a.k.a. "The Slough of Despair")

No, that would be Columbus, Ohio.

Come to Texas, chuck.

: [grande snippe]

: >I visit my family in Dallas and have guilt because I forget to get
: >together with rmc regular and all-around good guy Will McDonald.

: You should feel guilty. I know women here in the metroplex... Do I
: need to continue?

Uh huh. Lisa claimed the same thing when she was convincing me to
move to Austin. Have I actually even seen such women? No.
Frankly, I don't think they exist. They all have these fanciful names
like birds and such, as if Lisa just made them up at the spur of the
moment...

- matt

Phil Robinson

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97
to Jerry B. Ray

Jerry B. Ray wrote:

> Rush is cool. _Chronicles_ is a really good place to start, and _Roll
> The Bones_ is my favorite that's come out since then.

One word, Jerry: _Presto_

Phil <><

Michael A. Vickers

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

while under the influence of a chili onion supreme from wally's weiner world,
msj...@aol.com (MSJanke) erupted:

>I've worked at a Christian retailer for four years.

would this happen happen to be the berean christian stores chain?

Michael A. Vickers

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

while under the influence of a chili onion supreme from wally's weiner world,
vap...@prism.gatech.edu (Jerry B. Ray) erupted:

>Rush is cool. _Chronicles_ is a really good place to start, and _Roll
>The Bones_ is my favorite that's come out since then.

that is where scott told me to start at, too. my favorite at this point is
_counterparts_, followed by _presto_ (the first one i bought). i was in
some used record shop in nyc (wandering around with a pal, waiting to get
on the letterman show) and the guy was playing this in the store. i knew
the voice, but the music was too good to not buy.

i'll have to try out _rtb_. i've seen quite a few of them in used shops.
does chronicles have anything on it that isnt available on the rest of
their catalog?

sorta wish they would have remastered _presto_ when they did the rest of
those albums.

Norman Leach

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

ok, i'll go.

my name is norman leach. i'm 27 years old, married, no kids. i've been
on and off rmc for about 4 years. i'm what you could call a sporadic
poster in that i will post quite heavily for a couple of months and then
fall out for a while ( i guess 'cause nothing interests me enough to post
about at that time). i'm also the one with the annoying habit of posting
everything in lowercase and with no paragraph breaks but i'll try to change
that to make it easier to read this.

i've been in college for ten years now with no degree to show for it. i
skipped my senior year of highschool and went straight to college but i
couldn't decide what i wanted to do. i have WAY more than enough hours to
graduate but they are in everything from philosophy to mathmatics to
accounting. so technically, i am a highschool dropout (my parents are so
proud).

employement: i am a quality supervisor at a machining and production
facility in Louisville, KY.
official quality motto: "Looks good from here!!"

favorite music (christian): choir (always and forever), saviour machine
(very close second right now), sixpence, caedmon's call, anything by scott
albert, michael card, all star united, flock 14 (hurry and come back tim),
and then there is a ton of other stuff that i like but doesn't get played
as much.

favorite music (secular): tom petty, enya, the cure, ministry, 10000
maniacs, innocence mission, sam phillips

favorite movies: princess bride, star wars, that thing you do, swing kids

favorite tv (right now): law&order, mr. bean, the thin blue line

favorite tv (past): the equalizer

norm

Jerry B. Ray

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In article <34857D79...@followup.com>,
Phil Robinson <ph...@followup.com> wrote:

>> Rush is cool. _Chronicles_ is a really good place to start, and _Roll
>> The Bones_ is my favorite that's come out since then.

>One word, Jerry: _Presto_

Good album, but it came out before _Chronicles_. "Show Don't Tell"
is included on _Chronicles_.

Jerry B. Ray

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In article <663v57$2...@beast.connix.com>,

Michael A. Vickers <mavi...@cryogen.com> wrote:

>i'll have to try out _rtb_. i've seen quite a few of them in used shops.
>does chronicles have anything on it that isnt available on the rest of
>their catalog?

Not much. I think maybe there's a live track on there that was left off
of the CD version of one of their live albums due to space limitations,
or something like that. You know, the kind of thing that Star Song
SHOULD have done with Petra's missing tracks and those dozen hits packages
they've put out...

Matt Laswell

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

Brett J. Kopetsky (kope...@cs.purdue.edu) wrote:
: Matt Laswell wrote:
: >
: > All my degrees are from Purdue, whose football
: > team I'm hoping to see play in the Alamo Bowl later this month

: Hey, Matt, can I come down for this too? (Of course, if I were to
: actually travel south, I'd need a place to stay......)

*chuckle*

That reminds me - I need to get my ticket application in.

: Anyway, as long as I'm checking in on this thread, I might as well give
: my bio too. I'm a 20 (very soon to be 21--woo-hoo headed to the
: chocolate shop [Matt'll know what I mean])

Ya know, I didn't got to the chocolate shop for my 21st birthday.
My house (Purdue Christian Campus House, 329 Russell St., a.k.a.
"the guys house" at the time) had a tradition for 21st birthdays.
They throw the guy in the Wabash River.

Now, my birthday's in December, and boy is the river cold...

- matt

Bruce H. McIntosh

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

On 2 Dec 1997, Cheef Dan wrote:

> : > I love to cook, fool around on the computer...
> : ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> : Well, that explains those back problems. :-)
>
> <PYTHON>You know, I object to all this sex on the television</PYTHON>

"And now on BBC4...
It's a shade after 8 o'clock, and time for the penguin atop your
television set to explode."

Bruce H. McIntosh scot...@afn.org http://www.afn.org/~scotsman
Half a bee, philosphically, must ipso facto half not be
But half the bee has got to be, vis-a-vis it's entity.
You see?

David Whiteman

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

Michael A. Vickers wrote:

> i'll have to try out _rtb_. i've seen quite a few of them in used shops.
> does chronicles have anything on it that isnt available on the rest of
> their catalog?

RTB gets on my nerves in that it's not as interesting musically, IMO, as their
other albums, and the album's theme of "life is just a big roll of the dice"
wears on me, particularly since it's so contrary to Christian beliefs.

At one point, Chronicles was the only way to get a couple of tunes that were
chopped off their first two live albums. However, now that both live albums have
been remastered, they were able to squeeze in those tunes on those discs.

David
David Whiteman Applied Reasoning
Fortified with 8 Essential Vitamins 111 Corning Road, Suite 220
whiteman at AppliedReasoning.com Cary, NC 27511-9231
919-851-7677 http://www.AppliedReasoning.com
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/3261

Wednesday

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In article <663uei$8dq$1...@hirame.wwa.com>, Matt Laswell <las...@wwa.com> wrote:
>Uh huh. Lisa claimed the same thing when she was convincing me to
>move to Austin. Have I actually even seen such women? No.
>Frankly, I don't think they exist. They all have these fanciful names
>like birds and such, as if Lisa just made them up at the spur of the
>moment...

*giggle* Hey, I *told* you you shoulda moved to Ontario.

-- w/b. of course, if you came here now, you'd hafta share.

Wednesday

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In article <348594C0...@AppliedReasoning.com>,

David Whiteman <whit...@AppliedReasoning.com> wrote:
>RTB gets on my nerves in that it's not as interesting musically, IMO, as their
>other albums, and the album's theme of "life is just a big roll of the dice"
>wears on me, particularly since it's so contrary to Christian beliefs.

Eh, come *on* -- I mean, these are the priests of the temple of Syrinx. :)

I'm one of a handful of people who thinks that RTB kicks serious bootay,
mainly because there's nothing like staring out the window of a train at
night and speeding through Pennsylvania while listening to it.

Will McDonald

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

writes:
>: >I guess I'll play. Only fair, since I've been reading about
everybody
>: >else.
>: >
>: >Lessee...
>: >
>: >I'm a 26 year old software developer currently living in Austin, TX
>
>: (a.k.a. "The Promised Land")
>
>You know, I generally liked the Chicago area. But the sun came out
>this morning here in Austin and it's supposed to be in the mid 60s.
>Given that, I find it hard to disagree with you.
>
>: >where I recently moved from the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois.
>
>: (a.k.a. "The Slough of Despair")
>
>No, that would be Columbus, Ohio.

Oh... I've never been there, but I'll take your word for it.

>Come to Texas, chuck.

Yes, and bring your delightful family! Come to the Metroplex!

>: [grande snippe]
>
>: >I visit my family in Dallas and have guilt because I forget to get
>: >together with rmc regular and all-around good guy Will McDonald.
>
>: You should feel guilty. I know women here in the metroplex... Do I
>: need to continue?
>

>Uh huh. Lisa claimed the same thing when she was convincing me to
>move to Austin. Have I actually even seen such women? No.

Come to think of it... I didn't see any noticable single women in
Austin when I visited a few weeks ago. Hmmm... Has something gone
terribly wrong in Austin? Is the government conducting experiments?

>Frankly, I don't think they exist. They all have these fanciful names
>like birds and such, as if Lisa just made them up at the spur of the
>moment...

Remember Matt, you're living dangerously close to the perpetual haunts
of Lyndon Johnson. (His widow's name is Lady Bird Johnson.) It
happens.

I know real flesh and blood women here in Fort Worth. I may not be
able to "set you up," but I can sure gather up a fine assortment and
put you in the middle of the situation. (Okay, minds out of the gutter
people! I'm thinking of a church social or something...) You're own
your own at that point. ;-)

Michael A. Vickers

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

while under the influence of a chili onion supreme from wally's weiner world,
vap...@prism.gatech.edu (Jerry B. Ray) erupted:
>In article <663v57$2...@beast.connix.com>,
>Michael A. Vickers <mavi...@cryogen.com> wrote:

>Not much. I think maybe there's a live track on there that was left off
>of the CD version of one of their live albums due to space limitations,
>or something like that. You know, the kind of thing that Star Song
>SHOULD have done with Petra's missing tracks and those dozen hits packages
>they've put out...

i have just one word: BWAHAHAHA.

actually, thats just for everytime you bring that topic up. i'm sure that
cd/bastard version of _capture in time & space_ will follow soon...

SheepyFuzz

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In article <65utnu$e...@huitzilo.tezcat.com>, wedn...@huitzilo.tezcat.com
(Wednesday) writes:

>people are stupid sheep

um, hi. i figured this was as good a place to jump in as any.

(now that this thread is eighteen miles long and you've all ceased reading it
anyway, right?)

i believe that stupidity is what makes sheep so endearing.

i'm 18 years old, which means i'm sort of a kid and sort of a grown-up, which
is confusing. i recently moved to boca raton, fl. from peachtree city, ga.

i'm not going to school right now. taking a break, you know? i work full time
at a big, beautiful bookstore called liberties. i'll start school in january at
florida atlantic university. i dunno what i wanna be when i grow up, but i like
to write. i wanna get married, too.

i'm lots of fun, really! (can anybody vouch for this?...nevermind.)

um, musicwise...
my favourite band is havalina rail co. i also heavily dig sixpence. over the
rhine. beyond that, my taste is changing a bit. i'm such a snob.

oh...i just can't get into ska. no ska for sha. baa.

i guess i used to be much more interesting than i am now. life in sunny south
florida has m e l l o w e d me out a bit.

blah.

love,
sha

by the way...
i never post anymore. i can't fathom how those of you with spouses and kids and
stuff find the time. i've found that i only say those things that MUST be said,
but no one else will say them. and fluff like this.
###shauna annette laVoy, starring as Sheep...@aol.com#########
#######~*am i that easy to ignore?* ~sixpence none the richer######

Jerry B. Ray

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In article <6647v3$6...@beast.connix.com>,

Michael A. Vickers <mavi...@cryogen.com> wrote:

>>You know, the kind of thing that Star Song
>>SHOULD have done with Petra's missing tracks and those dozen hits packages
>>they've put out...

>i have just one word: BWAHAHAHA.

>actually, thats just for everytime you bring that topic up.

Hey, it's in my contract.

>i'm sure that
>cd/bastard version of _capture in time & space_ will follow soon...

Already has, actually-there was a missing track from the live CD, too.

Jerry B. Ray

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

In article <19971203183...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
SheepyFuzz <sheep...@aol.com> wrote:

>>people are stupid sheep

>um, hi. i figured this was as good a place to jump in as any.

Yep, now there's a segue!

>(now that this thread is eighteen miles long and you've all ceased reading it
>anyway, right?)

Yes.

>i believe that stupidity is what makes sheep so endearing.

I heard they found a new use for sheep over at U[sic]GA.

Wool.

>i'm 18 years old, which means i'm sort of a kid and sort of a grown-up, which
>is confusing. i recently moved to boca raton, fl. from peachtree city, ga.

(P'tree City, located a mere 10 miles from casa del JRjr)

>i'm lots of fun, really! (can anybody vouch for this?...nevermind.)

Um... :-)

>i guess i used to be much more interesting than i am now. life in sunny south
>florida has m e l l o w e d me out a bit.

Right. What about all that nekkidness, huh?

(BTW, if you, Sha, or anybody else (ahem, Lisa) has sent me e-mail in
the last week or so, it got eaten. If not, then feel free to continue
ignoring me. :-)

Chuck Pearson

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

David Whiteman (whit...@AppliedReasoning.com) wrote:
: RTB gets on my nerves in that it's not as interesting musically, IMO, as their
: other albums, and the album's theme of "life is just a big roll of the dice"
: wears on me, particularly since it's so contrary to Christian beliefs.

agreed. for the longest time, i had the worst time dealing with the song
"roll the bones", just 'cause it was crafted so beautifully in places and
yet had the annoying scat-rap in the middle, and lyrically neil comes so
close to getting it and then has to go and screw it all up with his trite
slam on God.

but i just haven't listened to the song in a while, and i'm fine.

chuck prefers "bravado" from that album.
--
child you know i love you and i care
[thanx to vigilantes of love.]
but you will find the heart of man is worse than any nightmare
cpea...@freenet.columbus.oh.us

Chuck Pearson

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

Jerry B. Ray (vap...@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:
: No, no, no. The coolest song from the 80s was "Everybody Wants To Rule

: The World" from Tears For Fears. And the guy who hosts the House of Retro
: Pleasure on Atlanta's 99X agrees with me. (He's the same guy that's
: way into VoL and hosts 99X's Locals-Only show.

jerry, jerry, jerry.

are we going to have to go into the "everybody wants to rule the world"/
"shout" debate again?

chuck [let it all out...]

Jeff Holland

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

: (Wednesday) writes:

: >people are stupid sheep

: um, hi. i figured this was as good a place to jump in as any.

: (now that this thread is eighteen miles long and you've all ceased reading it
: anyway, right?)

: i believe that stupidity is what makes sheep so endearing.

: i'm 18 years old, which means i'm sort of a kid and sort of a grown-up, which

: is confusing. i recently moved to boca raton, fl. from peachtree city, ga.

: i'm not going to school right now. taking a break, you know? i work full time

: at a big, beautiful bookstore called liberties. i'll start school in january at
: florida atlantic university. i dunno what i wanna be when i grow up, but i like
: to write. i wanna get married, too.

Hotty Totty! You work at Liberties?? That was one of my favorite
haunts. I'll have to drop by and say hello when I'm in Boca in a couple
of weeks.

Jeff

"The thing is, we have so much. We are rich. I would hate to not realize
that I am rich just because I keep waiting for something to happen. I
want to surround myself with people who have a strong sense of this
unmerited wealth." -Linford Detweiler

Jeff Holland jhol...@cc.gatech.edu http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gt5276b

It is loading more messages.