Jazz Flute?

Cat

Oct 27, 2000, 12:44:25 AM10/27/00
Hey all,

I'm planning to do a jazz flute show. Right now in my collection, I
have James Newton, Buddy Collette, Eric Dolphy, Joseph Jarman, Roscoe
Mitchell, Kent Jordan, Henry Threadgill, Sam Rivers, Prince Lasha,
Giuseppi Logan, Anthony Braxton, Marty Ehrlich & Yusef Lateef.

As you see it leans kind of towards the free. I know I'm missing a
bunch of stuff, so can anyone offer any suggestions? Any must haves
from the above or ones not mentioned?

Thanks a bunch
Cat

moe hogue

Oct 27, 2000, 12:39:49 AM10/27/00
Gary Thomas, Jane Bunnett, Jamie Baum

MH

Cribcage

Oct 27, 2000, 1:03:49 AM10/27/00
ali ryerson -- not "free," but definitely a prominent jazz flautist.

frank wess plays a good bit of flute.

also, i'd add jeremy steig (most famous for playing with bill evans).

crib

Ulf Åbjörnsson

Oct 27, 2000, 2:52:45 AM10/27/00
Do not miss Herbie Mann.

Ulf

Cat <mz...@pacbell.net> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:39F90829...@pacbell.net...

Reg Schwager

Oct 27, 2000, 3:18:12 AM10/27/00
Cat wrote:

> Any must haves from the above or ones not mentioned?

Rahsaan Roland Kirk

Pawel Baranowski

Oct 27, 2000, 4:02:15 AM10/27/00
Thomas Chapin on Knitting Factory. He's great!
Pawel

Uzytkownik "Cat" <mz...@pacbell.net> napisal w wiadomosci

Leo Scanlon

Oct 27, 2000, 4:53:47 AM10/27/00
On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:44:25 -0700, Cat <mz...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I'm planning to do a jazz flute show. Right now in my collection, I
>have James Newton, Buddy Collette, Eric Dolphy, Joseph Jarman, Roscoe
>Mitchell, Kent Jordan, Henry Threadgill, Sam Rivers, Prince Lasha,
>Giuseppi Logan, Anthony Braxton, Marty Ehrlich & Yusef Lateef.

When you're talking jazz flute, you must include James Moody.

Leo

Murphy McMahon

Oct 27, 2000, 5:57:21 AM10/27/00
Must reiterate a previous suggestion:

RAHSAAN ROLAND KIRK. No one like him.

--
Murph

Cat <mz...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

jmcl...@gte.net

Oct 27, 2000, 6:29:01 AM10/27/00
On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:53:47 GMT, lsca...@erols.com (Leo Scanlon)
wrote:

I'll probably get flamed for mentioning Herbie Mann!

Jack
Durham, NC
Jack
Durham, NC

"Chance favors the prepared mind"

Ulf Åbjörnsson

Oct 27, 2000, 7:21:28 AM10/27/00
<jmcl...@gte.net> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:39f95860...@news.gte.net...

By that you qualify as # 2! ;-))

I just mentioned him last night, Jack.

Ulf

Francois Ziegler

Oct 27, 2000, 9:24:21 AM10/27/00
Cat wrote:

Not sure if you mean to restrict it to "towards the free", or precisely
want to look elsewhere as well. In the latter case... (hell: *anyway*),
there is this gem of an amazingly beautiful flute solo:

Bud Shank: "Martians Go Home", on Shorty Rogers & the West Coast Giants
"Aurex 1983" (East World TOCJ-8024; not widespread, but *can* be found
online)

Don't let the heading fool you... Manne's drums, Giuffre's clarinet are
also timeless and coastless on there. And I will admit that I skip past
some of Shank's flute stuff sometimes. (Just generally prefer the alto.
Eventually he himself decided to skip the flute altogether, citing how
hard it really is to play Jazz on it.) But this one is just, to me, a
thing of perfect beauty.

Coltrane also recorded once on flute, on "Expression". And for a fun
piece, maybe the beginnings of flute in Jazz, Wayman Carver on "Sweet
Sue, Just You" (Chick Webb, 1937).

Francois Z.

--
Users of wide-range equipment should compensate for the RIAA curse.

Piotr Michalowski

Oct 27, 2000, 9:33:13 AM10/27/00
Well you could find some Wayman Carver with Chick Webb, but you really
should have some Jerome Richardson and Sam Most! These were the modern
jazz flute pioneers. Early Mann? Among the avant types, I might suggest
Mats Gustafsson, better known as a sax player; flute was his first
instrument and he plays it magnificently. You might also consider Robert
Dick. He is an amazing contemporary classical flutist who has developed
some of the extended techniques widely used by everyone. He has recorded
improvised with Ned Rothenberg and others.
Piotr

Piotr Michalowski

Oct 27, 2000, 9:33:49 AM10/27/00

Cat wrote:OOpes, I forgot Bobby Jaspar-P

Marlowe

Oct 27, 2000, 9:45:18 AM10/27/00
I can't believe no-one has mentioned Robert Dick.
http://www.robertdick.net/

--
Rohan Parkes
Melbourne

Fabio Rojas

Oct 27, 2000, 10:34:31 AM10/27/00
How about Frank Wess who many credit as the original jazz flutist?
I'd also recommend Joe Farrell, who played with Chick Corea's Return
to Forever.

-fabio

PS Another easy one is James Moody.

uli_...@my-deja.com

Oct 27, 2000, 11:22:59 AM10/27/00
Would add Sonny Fortune to the list.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Dan Given

Oct 27, 2000, 11:05:12 AM10/27/00
Francois Ziegler wrote:

> Bud Shank: "Martians Go Home", on Shorty Rogers & the West Coast Giants
> "Aurex 1983" (East World TOCJ-8024; not widespread, but *can* be found
> online)
>
> Don't let the heading fool you... Manne's drums, Giuffre's clarinet are
> also timeless and coastless on there. And I will admit that I skip past
> some of Shank's flute stuff sometimes. (Just generally prefer the alto.
> Eventually he himself decided to skip the flute altogether, citing how
> hard it really is to play Jazz on it.) But this one is just, to me, a
> thing of perfect beauty.

And, if I'm thinking of the right album, one of the coolest jazz record
covers ever.

Dan

Marlowe

Oct 27, 2000, 3:40:17 AM10/27/00

Emerenziano Paronzini

Oct 27, 2000, 12:13:02 PM10/27/00
Sam Most, Jeremy Steig

Reg Schwager

Oct 27, 2000, 2:59:38 PM10/27/00
There's some wild flute playing on some of Sun Ra's recordings (Marshall
Allen? John Gilmore?). Sorry I can't think of any specific examples off
hand.

Jazzcorner

Oct 27, 2000, 3:55:20 PM10/27/00
Listen to Rob McConnell
on "Good bye Mr. Evans" the complete reed section plays flute,
a real beauty.
Willie

Cat <mz...@pacbell.net> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
39F90829...@pacbell.net...

Francois Ziegler

Oct 27, 2000, 5:39:15 PM10/27/00
Dan Given wrote:

> > Bud Shank: "Martians Go Home", on Shorty Rogers & the West Coast Giants
> > "Aurex 1983" (East World TOCJ-8024; not widespread, but *can* be found
> > online)
>

> And, if I'm thinking of the right album, one of the coolest jazz record
> covers ever.

Hmmm.... seeing no smiley, I'll guess you have in mind the cover on an
earlier Martians Go Home. To tell the truth, the Aurex ones are a new
milestone in ugliness. I don't think even the SteepleChase come close.
"Brezhnevian" should convey the general atmosphere.

(The parallel actually extends further. Inner pages list a whole "Aurex
Jazz Executive Committee" of Japanese Chairmen, Vice-Chairmen, Senior
Managers, Presidents, Directors, Coordinators, Supervisors, ad lib, that
looks much like the Politburo. I remember reading somewhere that this
whole organization collapsed soon thereafter, and Aurex Jazz was never
again heard from. It was good while it lasted.)

Francois

Jonathan Byrd

Oct 27, 2000, 6:51:31 PM10/27/00
Though it is not their primary instrument, I've heard good flute work by
Lew Tabackin, Jerry Dodgion, and James Spaulding.
--
Jonathan Byrd Computer Software Engineering Technology
j...@isu.edu Idaho State University

Bruce LeClaire

Oct 27, 2000, 5:03:29 PM10/27/00

Doesn't he also play nose flute too?

--Bruce

Bruce LeClaire

Oct 27, 2000, 5:33:13 PM10/27/00

uli_...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Would add Sonny Fortune to the list.

Thanks for mentioning him, I had forgotten he played flute.

IIRC I saw a concert with Elvin Jones Jazz Machine >10 yrs ago where I
remember him doing a nice number on flute (was it the Japanese titled
song Elvin dedicated to his wife Keiko- ?title?)

I think a reference, totally devoid of songs or personnel, would be this
one from AMG:

The Elvin Jones Jazz Machine in Europe (1991) [4-1/2 stars]
http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=A162588

It's the right time frame and location, I remember Ravi Coltrane and
Sonny Fortune (a standout) being in the band. Anyone have it? Ravi
stopped by a club I was at later that night and jammed a little with the
locals (gotta love that!).

--Bruce

PS- There's a 1994 VHS video of the Jazz Machine available here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6303421679/o/qid=972681089/sr=2-4/ref=aps_sr_bdgw_v_2_1/102-4063666-6576916

I can't help but mention http://elvinjones.com/
has a great photo of EJ (scroll down).

PPS- Here's the personnel from the album:
Sonny Fortune, Ravi Coltrane, Willie Pickens, Chip Jackson.
From http://www.jdgm.freeserve.co.uk/page6.html#The90s

bill hewitt

Oct 27, 2000, 10:11:07 PM10/27/00
And don't forget something from "Shakuhachi Mellow Jazz" by John Kaizan
Neptune. =)

Dan Given

Oct 27, 2000, 10:05:15 PM10/27/00
Francois Ziegler wrote:

> Dan Given wrote:
>
> > > Bud Shank: "Martians Go Home", on Shorty Rogers & the West Coast Giants
> > > "Aurex 1983" (East World TOCJ-8024; not widespread, but *can* be found
> > > online)
> >
> > And, if I'm thinking of the right album, one of the coolest jazz record
> > covers ever.
>
> Hmmm.... seeing no smiley, I'll guess you have in mind the cover on an
> earlier Martians Go Home. To tell the truth, the Aurex ones are a new
> milestone in ugliness. I don't think even the SteepleChase come close.
> "Brezhnevian" should convey the general atmosphere.

I'm thinking of a picture of someone (Shank?) in a space helmet, on a
green background. It was an old vinyl copy that (quickly) passed
through the store I used to work in.

bill hewitt

Oct 27, 2000, 10:23:02 PM10/27/00
Dave Leibman too !

> From: uli_...@my-deja.com
> Newsgroups: rec.music.bluenote

Chris H. Lau

Oct 27, 2000, 11:27:17 PM10/27/00
i like his "i talk with the spirits" - an all flute album.
"Bruce LeClaire" <bw...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Gary Smiley

Oct 27, 2000, 11:45:32 PM10/27/00
Dave Leibman. I once heard him do an unaccompanied intro to "A Time for
Love" that rivaled Dolphy's playing.

Cat wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm planning to do a jazz flute show. Right now in my collection, I
> have James Newton, Buddy Collette, Eric Dolphy, Joseph Jarman, Roscoe
> Mitchell, Kent Jordan, Henry Threadgill, Sam Rivers, Prince Lasha,
> Giuseppi Logan, Anthony Braxton, Marty Ehrlich & Yusef Lateef.
>

> As you see it leans kind of towards the free. I know I'm missing a

> bunch of stuff, so can anyone offer any suggestions? Any must haves

> from the above or ones not mentioned?
>

> Thanks a bunch
> Cat

Gary Smiley

Oct 28, 2000, 12:06:17 AM10/28/00
Oh, yes, we all forgot Hubert Laws!

Bob Entwistle

Oct 28, 2000, 12:42:32 AM10/28/00
In a Latin and jazz vein, there is an album called Havana Flute Summit on
the Naxos Jazz label. Though there is piano, bass and percussion as
well, the entire focus of the album is on flute. Jane Bunnett, Orlando
"Maraca" Valle, Richard Egues and Celine Valle all play great flute on
this album.

Bob

Peter W. Bosse

Oct 28, 2000, 2:50:26 AM10/28/00
Who have mentioned Hubert Laws?

Also good flute work by Charles Lloyd, Leo Wright, Egberto Gismonti,
Hermeto Pascoal, Nicola Stilo, Frank Strozier and Ken McIntyre.

--
Peter W. Bosse

"The Music Will Live On and On",
Thank you, John.
-McCoy Tyner

Carnak

Oct 28, 2000, 5:19:00 AM10/28/00
And behind forgotten door number twelve. . .S A H I B S H I H A B !

Leo Scanlon

Oct 28, 2000, 7:37:54 AM10/28/00
On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:39:15 -0400, Francois Ziegler <zie...@mac.com>
wrote:

>Hmmm.... seeing no smiley, I'll guess you have in mind the cover on an
>earlier Martians Go Home. To tell the truth, the Aurex ones are a new
>milestone in ugliness. I don't think even the SteepleChase come close.
>"Brezhnevian" should convey the general atmosphere.

LOL! "Brezhnevian"...I love it , Francois. Gotta remember that and
use it sometime.

Leo (still chuckling)

Steve Berman

Oct 28, 2000, 7:43:01 AM10/28/00
Marlowe <mar...@labyrinth.net.au> writes:

I can't believe someone from Australia who mentions Robert Dick
doesn't mention Jim Denley.
http://www.netspace.net.au/~rlinz/NMA/22CAC/denley.html (old)
http://www.nmn.org.au/machine/

--Steve Berman

DOUG NORWOOD

Oct 28, 2000, 10:17:36 AM10/28/00

Yes indeed along with another baritone saxophonist, Cecil Payne.

DougN

Carnak <Car...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Jazzcorner

Oct 28, 2000, 12:39:05 PM10/28/00
To my knowledge it was a "nosewhistle".
Willie

Chris H. Lau <nos...@fakeAddress.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
8tdh35$l1...@hkunae.hku.hk...

Bruce LeClaire

Oct 28, 2000, 12:51:24 PM10/28/00

Carnak wrote:

> And behind forgotten door number twelve. . .S A H I B S H I H A B !

Oh man! Good call.

--Bruce

Francois Ziegler

Oct 28, 2000, 3:12:38 PM10/28/00
Dan Given wrote:

> > Hmmm.... seeing no smiley, I'll guess you have in mind the cover on an
> > earlier Martians Go Home. To tell the truth, the Aurex ones are a new
> > milestone in ugliness. I don't think even the SteepleChase come close.
> > "Brezhnevian" should convey the general atmosphere.
>
> I'm thinking of a picture of someone (Shank?) in a space helmet, on a
> green background. It was an old vinyl copy that (quickly) passed
> through the store I used to work in.

Yes, I would think this was Shorty Rogers, on one of his 1950s Atlantics.
Alas, I only have British reissues that omitted the cover art. I scoured
the net for pictures of the originals... no luck on this so far, but I saw
some kewl ones in the process...:

http://www.tamboo.com/clubvelvet/lp/Selections180.html
http://www.tamboo.com/clubvelvet/lp/Selections127.html
http://www.vinyllives.com/coolcovs/coolcovs.htm

(The Aurex cover is just a matt blue background, the band's name in fat
upper case grey, and a black Aurex logo, all centered. Trichromy, I guess.
Another one in the series -with a sublime Freddie Hubbard on "Crisis"- has
the background in imitation blue skai instead, and an upper case "All Star
Jam Session" carved in a kind of brass rectangle. Another one has the brass
replaced by some sort of fake formica.)

Carnak

Oct 28, 2000, 4:02:14 PM10/28/00
Here's that cover:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=479935999

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 15:12:38 -0400, Francois Ziegler <zie...@mac.com>
wrote:

Steve Solomon

Oct 28, 2000, 4:57:29 PM10/28/00
I enjoyed hearing James Spaulding on a Blue Note recording from the
early 60's called "Breaking Point".

---------Steve

THECOTTONFAMILY

Oct 29, 2000, 4:04:42 AM10/29/00
How about George Adams, Archie Shepp and Carlos Ward and Benny Maupin.
regards, Tim Cotton

Marlowe

Oct 30, 2000, 2:32:29 AM10/30/00
Thanks for pointing that out. He appears to be unknown down here in
Melbourne, however.

Ulf Åbjörnsson

Oct 30, 2000, 11:09:12 AM10/30/00
Who?

Ulf

Marlowe <mar...@labyrinth.net.au> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:MPG.1467cf143...@news.labyrinth.net.a
u...

Francois Ziegler

Oct 30, 2000, 11:09:03 PM10/30/00

Thanks!

Is it not a cigarette in his right hand? I'm trying to remember in what
movie it was that some astronaut coughed up his lungs onto the helmet's window...

Someone needs to make a serious study of the cross influence between
Shorty and Sun Ra. (And a proper reissue of that LP... please Mr.
Koch... fix the botched job that Collectables did on it.)

no...@webtv.net

Nov 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/3/00

Concerning Rahsaan Roland Kirk -- Bruce LeClaire asked -- "Didn't he
play the nose flute too?"

Yes, he did. Multi-talented guy. Jimmy Dorsey played nose flutes also.
In fact -- one day -- a long time ago -- I saw and heard Dorsey -- at
the Roxie in New York -- playing two nose flutes -- L & R.

They may have been Tonettes.

But playing two flutes at a time -- or even two Shehnai -- is a common
practice in India.

---
norton shawn

. .. .. .. ..

guy f klose

Nov 3, 2000, 8:37:37 AM11/3/00
Francois Ziegler <zie...@math.yale.edu> writes:
>I'm trying to remember in what
>movie it was that some astronaut coughed up his lungs onto the helmet's window...

Was it not actually a sneeze, complete with the "Ah, Ah, " visuals?
If so, then I think you're talking about "Morons From Outer Space."

Guy

--
Guy Klose
g...@world.std.com

Thomas C. Richards

Nov 3, 2000, 9:23:55 AM11/3/00
I think he might mean "Apollo 13".

guy f klose wrote:

--
@* TCR *@~
hit reply or mailto:x98...@stfx.ca

Wdflannery

Nov 6, 2000, 12:01:06 AM11/6/00
Not to forget Fathead Newman. Very big vibrato, very sensuous sound.

Frank Kennedy

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
Jane Bunnett, either with her band of merry Cubans or, if you can find it,
something with Don Pullen on piano. I suggest Big Alice, but I taped it
from a radio broadcast and don't know if it's available. Or something from
The Water Is Wide album.

Pawel Baranowski wrote:

> Thomas Chapin on Knitting Factory. He's great!
> Pawel
>
> Uzytkownik "Cat" <mz...@pacbell.net> napisal w wiadomosci

> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm planning to do a jazz flute show. Right now in my collection, I
> > have James Newton, Buddy Collette, Eric Dolphy, Joseph Jarman, Roscoe
> > Mitchell, Kent Jordan, Henry Threadgill, Sam Rivers, Prince Lasha,
> > Giuseppi Logan, Anthony Braxton, Marty Ehrlich & Yusef Lateef.
> >
> > As you see it leans kind of towards the free. I know I'm missing a

> > bunch of stuff, so can anyone offer any suggestions? Any must haves

> > from the above or ones not mentioned?
> >

> > Thanks a bunch
> > Cat

fkennedy1.vcf

William Sakovich

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00

> I'm planning to do a jazz flute show. Right now in my
collection, I
> have James Newton, Buddy Collette, Eric Dolphy, Joseph Jarman,
Roscoe
> Mitchell, Kent Jordan, Henry Threadgill, Sam Rivers, Prince
Lasha,
> Giuseppi Logan, Anthony Braxton, Marty Ehrlich & Yusef Lateef.
> As you see it leans kind of towards the free. I know I'm
missing a
> bunch of stuff, so can anyone offer any suggestions? Any must
haves
> from the above or ones not mentioned?

Check out Frank Wess. Also look at the Joel Dorn compilation,
Heavy Flutes. Listen to the first track of Elvin Jones's Genesis
LP for some beautiful bass flute, I think it is.

Also, the flautista who plays a wooden instrument on Mongo
Santamaria's Live at the Blackhawk is sure to be of interest.

- Bill Sakovich

TEP251Sax

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00

James Moody , Jeremy Steig , Sam Most ,