Beatles - The Capitol Versions

Chris Mouzouris

May 3, 1994, 7:56:08 PM5/3/94
I have a couple of CD's entitled The Beatles - The Capitol Versions.
The cover claims that they are 'Limited Editions' (1000 copies) and I am
wondering if anyone can give me any details about these CD's eg. are they
legitimate or bootlegs etc.

I have the first and forth in what appears to be a series of at least 8.
Each appears to contain 2 albums -

CD001 is "The Early Beatles"
"Meet the Beatles"

CD004 is "Beatles '65"
"Beatles VI"

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

davy drop pie ok

May 4, 1994, 12:39:21 AM5/4/94
chr...@macqbl.com.au (Chris Mouzouris) writes:
>I have a couple of CD's entitled The Beatles - The Capitol Versions.
>The cover claims that they are 'Limited Editions' (1000 copies) and I am
>wondering if anyone can give me any details about these CD's eg. are they
>legitimate or bootlegs etc.

very much bootlegs. actually, counterfeits, to be more accurate, since
they are reproductions of legitimate releases. they were basically put
on the market to fill that relatively small nitch left open when EMI
decided to release the UK configurations of the beatles catalog. some
people in the US seem to feel particularly attached to the US albums,
since that's what they grew up with. additionally, there are occasional
differences in mixes between the US and UK albums.

i own the _sgt. pepper_/_magical mystery tour_ two-fer, and was
relatively pleased. the discs are obviously mastered from vinyl, so the
sound isn't TOO great. i bought the disc i did because the version of
_pepper_ included is in mono, and i didn't have it in mono (either CD or
vinyl). the sound on that wasn't terribly great; but the _mmt_ half
sounded clear as a bell - i'd almost say it sounded as good or maybe
even CLEARER than the legit CD.

>I have the first and forth in what appears to be a series of at least 8.

i'll finish out the list for you ...

>CD001 is "The Early Beatles"
> "Meet the Beatles"

CD002 is "the beatles second album"
"a hard days night"

CD003 is "something new"
"beatles' story"

>CD004 is "Beatles '65"
> "Beatles VI"

CD 005 is "help!"
"rubber soul"

CD 006 is "yesterday & today"
"revolver"

CD 007 is "sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band" [mono]
"magical mystery tour" [german version]

CD 008 is "rarities"

the _mmt_ disc, from all i could tell, was almost identical to the legit
release. the only really different mix i heard was "magical mystery
tour."

i'm pretty sure all the other volumes in this series are in stereo.

--
*-- dave "protosz-barkopy" prokopy -----------------------------------*
| "all the money you made won't ever buy back your soul." |

Chris Walker

May 4, 1994, 12:29:45 PM5/4/94
In <2q6oao$f...@mblisd.macqbl.com.au> chr...@macqbl.com.au writes:

> I have a couple of CD's entitled The Beatles - The Capitol Versions.
> The cover claims that they are 'Limited Editions' (1000 copies) and I am
> wondering if anyone can give me any details about these CD's eg. are they
> legitimate or bootlegs etc.

They are definately bootlegs. If they were legit, they would contain a
copyright notice from EMI. Ad a matter of fact, I have yet to see a copyright
notice at all on any "Capitol Versioins" cd.
As farr as the limied edition thing goes, I don think they really are.
I've seen two variaotions. One has "Limited edition 1000 numbered copies" in
the red bar across the top lefthad corner, and a number stamped in the yelow
ssquare on the bottom lefthand corner on the back. The other both the read bar
and the yellow square are empty.

> I have the first and forth in what appears to be a series of at least 8.
> Each appears to contain 2 albums -
>
> CD001 is "The Early Beatles"
> "Meet the Beatles"
>
> CD004 is "Beatles '65"
> "Beatles VI"
>
> Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

Apparetnlty htere are only 8 at the moment.

Vol 1: Early Beatles (with a couple bonus tracks, Misery
There's a place, and From me to You)
Meet the Beatles

VOl 2: Beatles Second Album
A Hard Day's Night
Vol 3: Something New
The Beatles' Story
Vol 4: Beatles '65
Beatles VI
Vol 5: Help
Rubber SOul
VOl 6: Yesterday & Today
Revolver
Vol 7: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts CLub Band
Magicla Mystery Tour
Vol 8: Rarities

Volumne 8, Rarities, is vastly different than the US Rarities. Since
several of the songs on the US rarities ended up on Past masters, the makers of
the Capitol Versions chose to conentrate on different mixes, such as different
mono mixes of the Sgt. Pepper Reprise, Why dont we do it in the Road, and
several others. Its really interesting.

__

| PGP key available by finger, or from a public key server near you.
| "Women..... Can't live with 'em...... Pass the beer nuts."
| - Norm Peterson.

Chris Mouzouris

May 4, 1994, 6:52:27 PM5/4/94
In article <Cp9Gx...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, pro...@sage.cc.purdue.edu ("davy drop pie ok") says:

>very much bootlegs. actually, counterfeits, to be more accurate, since
>they are reproductions of legitimate releases. they were basically put
>on the market to fill that relatively small nitch left open when EMI
>decided to release the UK configurations of the beatles catalog. some
>people in the US seem to feel particularly attached to the US albums,
>since that's what they grew up with. additionally, there are occasional
>differences in mixes between the US and UK albums.

Thanks for the info. I suspected they were bootlegs but the general
production quality was reasonable so I wasn't sure.

>i own the _sgt. pepper_/_magical mystery tour_ two-fer, and was
>relatively pleased. the discs are obviously mastered from vinyl, so the
>sound isn't TOO great. i bought the disc i did because the version of
>_pepper_ included is in mono, and i didn't have it in mono (either CD or
>vinyl). the sound on that wasn't terribly great; but the _mmt_ half
>sounded clear as a bell - i'd almost say it sounded as good or maybe
>even CLEARER than the legit CD.

Everyone keeps telling me that the MONO versions are the way to go, so
I guess I'll have to find some :-)

Regards,

Chris

David W Doerr

May 5, 1994, 7:40:05 AM5/5/94
davy drop pie ok (pro...@sage.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:

(stuff deleted)

: the discs are obviously mastered from vinyl, so the

: sound isn't TOO great.

Is this true? I thought I read somewhere (The 910, maybe?) that these
were mastered from reel-to-reel tape. I'd like to find a better copy
of "The Early Beatles" than my 70's vinyl, and I thought this might be
a way to do it. If they really are mastered from vinyl, I don't want
to duplicate what I already have.

-Dave

Scott Chatfield

May 5, 1994, 2:39:44 AM5/5/94
In article <2q8ihp$n...@gould.ualr.edu>
CDWA...@acs.harding.edu (Chris Walker) writes:

> Apparetnlty htere are only 8 at the moment.

Nope. Just bought two new ones in the series: BEAT CD 009; "Rarities
2-- We Can Work It Out" and BEAT CD 010; "Rarities 3--The Final Mixes."
The CDs themselves look as if they came from the same entity that
designed the Great Dane BBC box.

"2" has a combination of already bootlegged tracks, legitimate and
purported "remixes" (most of which actually just feature reversed
imaging) and an occasional gem (an early, different version of "Glass
Onion" which originally appeared unlisted at the end of an Xmas
Messages CD several years ago).

"3" contains the alleged George Martin "remixes" from the 1976 "Rock n'
Roll Music" two-LP set. To my ears, they've been re-EQ'd and early,
discreet two-channel tracks have been panned inward a bit. Hardly
"remixes," but fun to own on CD for party and orgy purposes.

As far as the rest of the set, I admit I do get off a bit on hearing
CDs of those good old, made-in-the-USA, Dave-Dexter Jr.-tinkered-with,
reverb-y, childhood versions of "Roll Over Beethoven," "I Feel Fine"
and "She's A Woman."

Scott Chatfield (sc...@ctsnet.cts.com)
voice: (619) 753-8973 ¥ data/fax: (619) 753-7111

Paul Stoddard x5559

May 6, 1994, 5:13:25 PM5/6/94

I have the complete set of Capitol Versions CDs and everything is from
tape up to the Sgt. Pepper/Magical Mystery Tour disc. I can't tell for
sure if Sgt. Pepper is from tape or not. There are some sonic artifacts
that lead me to believe that it was mastered from a very clean LP. The
Magical Mystery Tour is also a toss-up. You can safely purchase the CD
containing "The Early Beatles".

The set of Capitol Versions discs is strange in another way. It sounds
like they changed mastering engineers after the first 3 CDs were done.
There is a definite drop in the volume level starting with the CD that
contains Beatles '65 and Beatles VI.

Paul Stoddard, Interleaf Inc., Prospect Place, 9 Hillside Avenue,
Waltham, MA 02154 (617)290-0710 x5559, INTERNET: pst...@ileaf.com
Disclaimer: All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.

Stevemarin

May 7, 1994, 9:47:02 AM5/7/94
In article <CpEGA...@HQ.Ileaf.COM>, pst...@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Paul Stoddard x5559)
writes:

I have the complete set of Capitol Versions CDs and everything is from
tape up to the Sgt. Pepper/Magical Mystery Tour disc. I can't tell for
sure if Sgt. Pepper is from tape or not. There are some sonic artifacts
that lead me to believe that it was mastered from a very clean LP. The
Magical Mystery Tour is also a toss-up. You can safely purchase the CD
containing "The Early Beatles".

The SGT.PEPPER/MMT disc is from vinyl, and very clean copies at that. I really
was very pleased with the first seven Capitol Versions. I believe they're taken
from tape sources, not vinyl. The first Rarities disc. (Vol. 8) is pretty much
a copy of the Westwood One disc, though they left off the hi-hat intro on ALL
MY LOVING. The two new discs in the series, Rarities 2 and Rarites 3 as they're
called, are ok, with Rarities 3 being much better than 2. Glass Onion on
Rarities 2 is an outfake. There are also some tracks on that disc repeated from
the Unsurpassed Masters/Ultra Rare series. But it's nice to have the Dick James
stuff...and the '77 remixes, which I'm guessing are from LOVE SONGS....

Chris Walker

May 5, 1994, 12:44:19 PM5/5/94
In <2qalul$p...@mloeff01.elec.mid.gmeds.com> hzl...@elec.mid.gmeds.com writes:

Well, after listening to several volumes of the Capitol versions, it
sounds to me like theey ARE mastered from tape. As a mater of fact, with the
head phones on, listening to "anna" from "The Early Beatles" i think I hear the
tape machine squeaking,........

> -Dave

Chris Walker

May 5, 1994, 12:41:23 PM5/5/94
In <CpBH6...@crash.cts.com> sc...@ctsnet.cts.com writes:

> In article <2q8ihp$n...@gould.ualr.edu>
> CDWA...@acs.harding.edu (Chris Walker) writes:
>
> > Apparetnlty htere are only 8 at the moment.
>
> Nope. Just bought two new ones in the series: BEAT CD 009; "Rarities
> 2-- We Can Work It Out" and BEAT CD 010; "Rarities 3--The Final Mixes."

Two more rarities? cool. Glad to hear that. I noticed tehre were several
gaps in the first rarities.

> The CDs themselves look as if they came from the same entity that
> designed the Great Dane BBC box.
>
> "2" has a combination of already bootlegged tracks, legitimate and
> purported "remixes" (most of which actually just feature reversed
> imaging) and an occasional gem (an early, different version of "Glass
> Onion" which originally appeared unlisted at the end of an Xmas
> Messages CD several years ago).
>
> "3" contains the alleged George Martin "remixes" from the 1976 "Rock n'
> Roll Music" two-LP set. To my ears, they've been re-EQ'd and early,
> discreet two-channel tracks have been panned inward a bit. Hardly
> "remixes," but fun to own on CD for party and orgy purposes.
>
> As far as the rest of the set, I admit I do get off a bit on hearing
> CDs of those good old, made-in-the-USA, Dave-Dexter Jr.-tinkered-with,
> reverb-y, childhood versions of "Roll Over Beethoven," "I Feel Fine"
> and "She's A Woman."

Honesly, so do I. I grew up listening to the stereo capitol versions. Im
too young to have had access to the mono, so the stereo is what Igre wup with.
It brings back memories being able to listen to those recordings again,
especially with the clean sound to them. All that static on my old lp;'s gets
old aftera while.......

> Scott Chatfield (sc...@ctsnet.cts.com)
> voice: (619) 753-8973 ¥ data/fax: (619) 753-7111

__

Mike

May 10, 1994, 12:41:36 PM5/10/94
In article <2qb7p3$9...@gould.ualr.edu>,
CDWA...@acs.harding.edu (Chris Walker) writes:

> Well, after listening to several volumes of the Capitol versions, it
>sounds to me like theey ARE mastered from tape. As a mater of fact, with the
>head phones on, listening to "anna" from "The Early Beatles" i think I hear the
>tape machine squeaking,........

Nope. See "What Goes On" - The Beatles anomalies list.

| Anna (go to him)
| Bass pedal squeaks through this song.

There are several songs where the squeak of the bass drum pedal is audible.
Listen carefully and you'll see it's always on the beat, unlikely that the
tape machine could cause that.

See Also:- Baby it's you, From Me to you, When I'm 64 (0:38 to 0:42)
Words of Love ....

---

Michael Brown (m...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk)
(cs...@csv.warwick.ac.uk)

Cory Serratore

May 10, 1994, 3:56:26 PM5/10/94

Chris Walker <CDWA...@acs.harding.edu> wrote:
>In <2qalul$p...@mloeff01.elec.mid.gmeds.com> hzl...@elec.mid.gmeds.com writes:
>
>> davy drop pie ok (pro...@sage.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:
>>
>> (stuff deleted)
>>

> Well, after listening to several volumes of the Capitol versions, it
>sounds to me like theey ARE mastered from tape. As a mater of fact, with the
>head phones on, listening to "anna" from "The Early Beatles" i think I hear the
>tape machine squeaking,........

I always thought that was Ringo's drum pedal. You can here it in quite a few
songs from the PPM CD.

cory

Chris Walker

May 13, 1994, 10:11:20 AM5/13/94
In <CpLrE...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca> case...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca writes:

I stand corrected. Maybe it IS the drum pedal. It's just something I had
never heard in the song before. The wonders of digital recording.........

markswi...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2018, 11:13:34 AM6/6/18

Pudgy the Bear and Jasper

Jun 6, 2018, 1:13:26 PM6/6/18