John Lennon and the books he read

Nezake

Feb 20, 2001, 9:21:24 PM2/20/01
I like to read too and I have read osme occult books before does anyone know
what were some of the books John read ? all subjects ?

Diana

Feb 21, 2001, 5:38:00 AM2/21/01
nez...@aol.com (Nezake) writes:

>I like to read too and I have read osme occult books before does anyone know
>what were some of the books John read ? all subjects ?

From memory..... John was really into Aleister Crowley, so I'm guessing he'd
read his books. Also Timothy Leary. We know he read the Bhagavad Gita.
Norman Seaman said John read all of Jack London's books in 2 weeks. Again
according to Seaman, John was very fond of "Kon Tiki" by Thor Heyerdahl; he
said John had the voyage memorized and diagramed on a map. That's all I can
remember offhand.

In his book, Fred names specific titles, and says that John would read 7 books
at a time.

- - - - - -
Hari Scruffs: http://www.hariscruffs.com

Message has been deleted

Bob Stahley

Feb 21, 2001, 12:01:57 PM2/21/01
Nezake <nez...@aol.com> wrote:
: I like to read too and I have read osme occult books before does anyone know

: what were some of the books John read ? all subjects ?

Off the top of my head, I believe John himself mentioned only a few
specific books that he'd actually read. He often cited Richmal Crompton's
_Just William_ books, and when questioned about the inspirations for his
own books, he mentioned Lewis Carroll's _Alice_ books (as well as saying
that "The Walrus and the Carpenter" was a direct influence on "I Am The
Walrus"). During the "Bigger Than Jesus" flap, he was quoted as having
read Hugh Schonfield's _The Passover Plot_. I'm not sure off-hand, but
I'd suspect there may be a few other books he mentioned duiring interviews
with Maureen Cleave, Jan Wenner, David Sheff and/or Andy Peebles, but,
again, I can't recall offhand if such were mentioned.

As always, be careful to verify sources, and above all, always take with
massive quantities of salt any responses you receive from gossipmongers.

--
__ __
_) _) bo...@primenet.com

Mark Wilden

Feb 21, 2001, 12:59:15 PM2/21/01
"Diana" <amara...@aol.com> wrote in message

> nez...@aol.com (Nezake) writes:
>
> Norman Seaman said John read all of Jack London's books in 2 weeks.

That must have been an exaggeration. London wrote a _ton_ of books. :)
One of my favorites was about a cave man.

Mark Wilden

Feb 21, 2001, 12:58:23 PM2/21/01
"Nezake" <nez...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I like to read too and I have read osme occult books before does
anyone know
> what were some of the books John read ? all subjects ?

John read "The First Sex," which was a pretty good research of all the
ways women are better than men (along the lines of Montagu's "Natural
Superiority of Women," but more strident and comprehensive). I don't
remember the author (my copy's at home), but it made a deep impression
on me when I was a teenager in the 70s.

Diana

Feb 21, 2001, 4:55:10 PM2/21/01
"Mark Wilden" <ma...@evernet.com> writes:

>> Norman Seaman said John read all of Jack London's books in 2 weeks.
>
>That must have been an exaggeration. London wrote a _ton_ of books. :)
>One of my favorites was about a cave man.

Do you remember the title?

Mark Wilden

Feb 21, 2001, 5:59:04 PM2/21/01

> "Mark Wilden" <ma...@evernet.com> writes:
>
> >> Norman Seaman said John read all of Jack London's books in 2 weeks.
> >
> >That must have been an exaggeration. London wrote a _ton_ of books.
:)
> >One of my favorites was about a cave man.
>
> Do you remember the title?

<really struggling, here> I think it was "After Adam." Only one way to
find out...

Google! :)

And the title was "Before Adam."

Diana

Feb 22, 2001, 5:48:58 AM2/22/01
"Mark Wilden" <ma...@evernet.com> writes:

>> >One of my favorites was about a cave man.
>>
>> Do you remember the title?
>
><really struggling, here> I think it was "After Adam." Only one way to
>find out...

Ooo, I can almost hear a drum roll . . .

>Google! :)

The tension releases a bit, then starts mounting again as the search begins . .
. .

>And the title was

Drum rolls get louder.....LOUDER....... UNTIL FINALLY . . . . .

>"Before Adam."

Cymbal crash!

Whew! Thanks Mark :-)

Mark Wilden

Feb 22, 2001, 12:21:04 PM2/22/01
"Diana" <amara...@aol.com> wrote in message

If you smoked, you'd be smoking a cigarette now, eh? ;)

Diana

Feb 22, 2001, 4:14:46 PM2/22/01
"Mark Wilden" <ma...@evernet.com> writes:

>> Whew! Thanks Mark :-)
>
>If you smoked, you'd be smoking a cigarette now, eh? ;)

It was rather orgasmic :-) :-) :-)

CHuKLeHeD

Feb 22, 2001, 4:15:20 AM2/22/01

Nezake <nez...@aol.com> wrote in message
> I like to read too and I have read osme occult books before does anyone
know
> what were some of the books John read ? all subjects ?

Have you tried looking up the writers and poets on the Sgt. Pepper cover?
If memory serves me right, he mentioned some of his favorites like Dickens
and Carroll in the 1980 Playboy interview. I'm sure you could get a copy of
that on eBay for a few bucks. It's a great interview.

His major interest, of course, was comparative religions. He also loved to
read the daily newspapers, which is where he got the ideas for the lyrics "A
Day In The Life." He seemed like the type who would read any printed
material around him.

R.A.G. Seely

Feb 28, 2001, 11:26:47 AM2/28/01
"Mark Wilden" <ma...@evernet.com> wrote in
<t980e07...@news.supernews.com>:

Simone de Beauvoir - Sartre's companion - wrote "The Second Sex"; maybe
that's what you are remembering. (It is a memorable book, well written by
an intelligent author.) As for "The First Sex" - I cannot recall a book of
that title from then, but there is a recent one - is this a case of
transference, or is there another book I am forgetting (or never knew
about)?

-= rags =-

--
To reply by email, use "@" not "__A@T__"
<rags AT math.mcgill.ca>

Mark Wilden

Feb 28, 2001, 12:47:59 PM2/28/01
"R.A.G. Seely" <rags__A@T__math.mcgill.ca> wrote in message

> >John read "The First Sex," which was a pretty good research of all the
> >ways women are better than men (along the lines of Montagu's "Natural
> >Superiority of Women," but more strident and comprehensive). I don't
> >remember the author (my copy's at home), but it made a deep impression
> >on me when I was a teenager in the 70s.
>
> Simone de Beauvoir - Sartre's companion - wrote "The Second Sex"; maybe
> that's what you are remembering. (It is a memorable book, well written by
> an intelligent author.)

Yes, I've read that, too. The title of "The First Sex" was clearly a reference
to de Beauvoir.

> As for "The First Sex" - I cannot recall a book of
> that title from then, but there is a recent one - is this a case of
> transference, or is there another book I am forgetting (or never knew
> about)?

When I was trying to find the author, I saw that recent version when I looked it
up on Amazon. Different book.

Diana

Feb 28, 2001, 5:44:31 PM2/28/01
Courtesy of Frederic Seaman's "The Last Days of John Lennon":

NYC newspapers: Times, Post, Daily News

Star, Globe, National Enquirer, Newsweek, Time, Scientific American, Interview
Magazine, Rolling Stone, British tabloids

"Color and Personality" by Dr. Audrey Carger
"Rebel In The Soul" by Bika Reed
"The Secret Science" by Ischa Schwaller de Lubitz
"Bringing Down the Moon" by Morgana Adler
"A Slaver's Logbook" by Captain Theophilus Conmean
"The Anatomy of Swearing" by Ashley Montague
"Working" by Studs Terkel
"The Manila Galleon"
"Greek Homosexuality" by H. T. Dover
"How to be Really With It" by Father Bernard Basset

Fred talks elsewhere in the book about buying "armfuls" of books that John had
specifically requested, including the store's "entire stock of occult
literature." Specifically, Fred mentions Edgar Cayce and Blavatsky. In Palm
Beach, John bought hundreds of dollars worth of books, incense, etc. (which in
the 70s meant more than 10 books ;-)) at the Metaphysical Bookstore.

Mentioned in another book is "The Continuum Concept" by Jean Liedloff, "The
Primal Scream" by Janov and "Will" by G. Gordon Liddy (no joke).

"Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together."
~ Anais Nin

Hari Scruffs: http://www.hariscruffs.com

Mark Wilden

Feb 28, 2001, 6:56:43 PM2/28/01
The only thing is, how many of those books did he actually _read_?

I sometimes think I love buying books more than reading them. Someone mentions a
good book, and I'm off to Amazon--ignoring the stack I have by my bed, on my
desk, behind the couch...