Dennis Kucinich on music

1 view

dlarsson

Jul 26, 2003, 4:49:56 PM7/26/03

 Democratic Presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich comments
 on his influential musicians:

 Kucinich says he relates to Willie Nelson, who has endorsed him for president,
 because he is a person who has a “powerful sense of humanity and humility.”
 Other influential musicians?      John Lennon is his favorite Beatle, and “Imagine”
 is the introductory music played for Kucinich’s big events.    “I listen to a mixture
 of classical and rock ’n’ roll.     I like Bach’s Christmas oratorios, Mozart’s piano
 and trumpet music.   I like to write to instrumentals,” he said.
                [  From:   http://www.hillnews.com/living/072303_kucinich.aspx   ]

 Name the other U.S. Presidential candidate to publically single out
 John Lennon as a major influence?

 Answer in follow up...

 - Derek

================================
 EMail:   derek_...@attbi.com
================================

Globalsearch

Jul 27, 2003, 4:01:55 AM7/27/03
>From: "dlarsson" derek_...@comcast.net
>Date: 7/26/2003 2:49 PM Mountain Daylight Time

> Democratic Presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich comments...
>John Lennon is his favorite Beatle...

In an article I read during the Bush / Clinton race it was mentioned that Gary
Trudeau made a practice of asking every presidential candidate, "Who is your
favorite Beatle?" The article's writer then noted, "Anyone with ANY political
correctnesss knows the correct response to the question, 'Who is your favorite
Beatle?' is John," then went on to say that George Herbert Walker Bush
"correctly" answered, "John" when Trudeau gave him this "test." Clinton
failed--"Paul" was his answer. (Incidentally, Kucinich will probably get my
vote as he's the most "populist" of the candidates).
Carol

BlackMonk

Jul 27, 2003, 4:47:11 AM7/27/03

"Globalsearch" <global...@aol.com> wrote in message

Did he really ask them that? The whole "who's your favorite Beatle" thing is
from an HBO series that Trudeau wrote during that election, including the
bit about John being the only correct answer. He didn't say it was PC,
though. Just that it was the right answer.

Globalsearch

Jul 27, 2003, 5:47:50 AM7/27/03
>From: "BlackMonk" Blac...@email.msn.com

>"Globalsearch" <global...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> >From: "dlarsson" derek_...@comcast.net
>> >Date: 7/26/2003 2:49 PM Mountain Daylight Time
>>
>> > Democratic Presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich comments...
>> >John Lennon is his favorite Beatle...
>>
>> In an article I read during the Bush / Clinton race it was mentioned that
>Gary
>> Trudeau made a practice of asking every presidential candidate, "Who is
>your
>> favorite Beatle?" The article's writer then noted, "Anyone with ANY
>political
>> correctnesss knows the correct response to the question, 'Who is your
>favorite
>> Beatle?' is John," then went on to say that George Herbert Walker Bush
>> "correctly" answered, "John" when Trudeau gave him this "test." Clinton
>> failed--"Paul" was his answer.
>

>Did he really ask them that? The whole "who's your favorite Beatle" thing is
>from an HBO series that Trudeau wrote during that election, including the
>bit about John being the only correct answer. He didn't say it was PC,
>though. Just that it was the right answer.

I can't put my hands right now on the political magazine I quoted,
unfortunately. The writer didn't source his information about Trudeau's P.C.
test; so I just did some hunting on Google, and found this article:
http://tinyurl.com/i6lj

"...Trudeau uses a simple test to decide whom to skewer and whom to let be. He
asks you to name your favorite Beatle. The correct answer is 'John.' Answering
otherwise will put you in the same league as Biden, Haig and the entire Bush
family."

Carol

dlarsson

Jul 27, 2003, 11:43:11 AM7/27/03

> In an article I read during the Bush / Clinton race it was mentioned that
Gary
> Trudeau made a practice of asking every presidential candidate, "Who is
your
> favorite Beatle?" The article's writer then noted, "Anyone with ANY
political
> correctnesss knows the correct response to the question, 'Who is your
favorite
> Beatle?' is John," then went on to say that George Herbert Walker Bush
> "correctly" answered, "John" when Trudeau gave him this "test."

I have a real hard time believing that George Bush Sr. would have
answered John, or for that matter even endorsed "The Beatles" as a band.
He was ideologically opposed to Lennon on every social and political
issue you can think of, and he would have regarded Lennon to be
"the hippie freak" in the band, and certaintly would have found his
music
to be much more "kooky" and outside of the mainstream norms.

> Clinton failed--"Paul" was his answer.

Yes exactly ... because the "Politically Correct" answer
was someone in the band other than John Lennon - who was
the most radical member of the band and most polarizing figure.

What you should know about Lennon is that
being "PC" was never, ever what he was about.
You don't pose naked on an album cover, protest
the Vietnam War ( with much greater outspokeness
than the Dixie Chicks ), and make weird music,
and simulataneously become the "PC" poster-boy.

Clinton's response demonstrates that it was not Lennon
and nobody in the Bush-CIA family was ever truthfully
a "fan" of John Lennon - rest assured ( they would have
regarded him as "a communist-hippie" ).

Danny Caccavo

Jul 27, 2003, 11:27:56 PM7/27/03
In article <20030727040155...@mb-m14.aol.com>,
global...@aol.com (Globalsearch) wrote:

It's weird - in the '60's, I didn't have a favorite Beatle - in the
'70's it was John.

Now I don't have a favorite anymore!

dc

Danny Caccavo

Jul 27, 2003, 11:30:32 PM7/27/03
In article <20030727054750...@mb-m14.aol.com>,
global...@aol.com (Globalsearch) wrote:

But when you think about it, if you believe in consensus, your answer
would be "no favorite Beatle - needed them all to work!"

dc

Globalsearch

Jul 29, 2003, 4:19:13 AM7/29/03
>From: "dlarsson" derek_...@comcast.net
>Date: 7/27/2003 9:43 AM Mountain Daylight Time

> I have a real hard time believing that George Bush Sr. would have

> answered John...

If, in fact, the anecdote in the 1992 article I mentioned was accurate, Bush
apparently wanted to give Trudeau the answer he thought the cartoonist wanted.
At that time, it was considered "hip" in political circles to gain favor with
this politcial satirist, and some candidates were aware that answering "John"
when asked "Who is your favorite Beatle?" was THE way to gain favor with
Trudeau.

> What you should know about Lennon is that
> being "PC" was never, ever what he was about.

Most definitely. Carol