Artists whose every official studio album you have heard?

1 view

Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl

Jan 15, 2010, 3:41:31 PM1/15/10
These are the ones for me....

1) The Beatles (have heard all their 12 official albums. Even the
crappy second part of Yellow Submarine which is not really theirs)
2) Led Zeppelin (only 9 albums counting Coda, so not a tough task)
3) Pink Floyd (I have heard all their 14 studio albums, Pink Floyd was
my #1 band once)
4) Joy Division (only 2 studio albums, so hard not to cover them)
5) Sex Pistols (only one official studio album, so easy)
6) The Jimi Hendrix Experience (barely remember the last two, but have
heard all three studio albums at least once)
7) The Doors (heard all their album disappointed with The Soft Parade
which was awful)
8) The Police (I thought all of them were terrible)
9) The Yardbirds (only two of them were non compilations, so easy to
cover them)
10) The Velvet Underground (none of the last 3 can compare to the
debut, but I have heard all 4)
11) Stone Roses (just 2 albums not easy to miss)

Some artists, I have come close to listening it all...
1) The Who - haven't heard Who Are You (only parts of it), Face
Dances, Its Hard and Endless Wire
2) Cream - haven't heard Goodbye
3) Yes - haven't heard Open Your Eyes, Union (only parts of it), Talk
(only parts of it), Keys To Ascencion 1&2 (only parts of it)
4) The Verve - haven't heard their latest one, supposedly junk. The
first three were good

Others like Kinks, Rolling Stones have way too many albums and I dont
think I will ever be able to listen to their stuff in the 80s, 90s
even late 70s

who?

Jan 15, 2010, 4:10:36 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 2:41 pm, Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

We already know about Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and the
number of albums you have by them.

Ray

Jan 15, 2010, 4:42:49 PM1/15/10
> number of albums you have by them.- Hide quoted text -

OOH OOH OOH, Can I play:

These are restricted to the ones I actually own on CD, LP, Cassette or
8Track :

The A's
the Beatles
The Band
Bob Dylan
Bonnie Raitt
Bonzo Dog Band
The Cars
Chris Smither
Cream
David Bowie
The Dead Milkmen
Derek and the Dominoes
The Eagles
Emerson Lake and Palmer (except for Love Beach, I have limits)
Elvis Costello
Gorillaz
Graham Paker and the Rumour
The Grateful Dead
Janis Joplin
Jeff Beck
Jethro Tull
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Little Feat
Los Lobos
Lou and Peter Berryman
Lynyrd Skynyrd (the orginal band only)
The Moody Blues
Neil Young (yes, even Everybody's Rockin' and Trans)
Nickel Creek
Simon and Garfunkel
Steely Dan
SRV
Talking Heads
Tom Waits
The Allman Brothers Band
Gov't Mule
Bruce Springsteen
Dire Straits
Mark Knopfler
Phish
Procol Harum
REM
Queens of the Stone Age
The Replacements
Richard Thompson
Sly & the Family Stone
P-Funk & George Clinton
The English Beat
The Clash
The Traveling Wilburys
Was Not Was
Weather Report
XTC
Wilco
The Yardbirds
All the George H Solo Albums
The Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
moe.
Frank Zappa (& the Mothers)
The Who
ZZ Top
The Sex Pistols

All of Genesis albums with Steve Hackett
All of the Yes albums before Tormato

In the interest of accuracy:
I have sold most of the LPs after ripping them.
Ripped the cassette tapes and trashed them.
The 8-Tracks were stolen from my car in 1976.
CDs are mostly in storage right now.

There are plenty of bands that only put out one album or CD, but I'm
not mentioning them. I'm leaving out jazz and classical as well,
because what's the point?

who?

Jan 15, 2010, 4:58:49 PM1/15/10

Sure Ray. It's recess. We're back in "kindegarden"

> These are restricted to the ones I actually own on CD, LP, Cassette or
> 8Track :
>
> The A's
> the Beatles
> The Band
> Bob Dylan
> Bonnie Raitt
> Bonzo Dog Band
> The Cars
> Chris Smither
> Cream
> David Bowie
> The Dead Milkmen

Interesting name for a band.

> Derek and the Dominoes
> The Eagles
> Emerson Lake and Palmer (except for Love Beach, I have limits)
> Elvis Costello
> Gorillaz
> Graham Paker and the Rumour
> The Grateful Dead
> Janis Joplin
> Jeff Beck
> Jethro Tull
> Jimi Hendrix
> Led Zeppelin
> Little Feat
> Los Lobos
> Lou and Peter Berryman
> Lynyrd Skynyrd (the orginal band only)

Have you heard the new version of Free Bird? I like it.

> The Moody Blues
> Neil Young (yes, even Everybody's Rockin' and Trans)
> Nickel Creek

Who? Never heard of them.

> Simon and Garfunkel
> Steely Dan
> SRV
> Talking Heads
> Tom Waits
> The Allman Brothers Band
> Gov't Mule

That's a funny name.

> Bruce Springsteen
> Dire Straits
> Mark Knopfler
> Phish
> Procol Harum
> REM
> Queens of the Stone Age
> The Replacements
> Richard Thompson
> Sly & the Family Stone
> P-Funk & George Clinton
> The English Beat
> The Clash
> The Traveling Wilburys
> Was Not Was
> Weather Report
> XTC
> Wilco
> The Yardbirds
> All the George H Solo Albums
> The Rolling Stones
> Pink Floyd
> moe.
> Frank Zappa (& the Mothers)

I could never get into Zappa.

> The Who
> ZZ Top
> The Sex Pistols
>
> All of Genesis albums with Steve Hackett
> All of the Yes albums before Tormato
>
> In the interest of accuracy:
> I have sold most of the LPs after ripping them.

Best thing to do.

> Ripped the cassette tapes and trashed them.
> The 8-Tracks were stolen from my car in 1976.

Did you ever use them as Widow scrapers?

> CDs are mostly in storage right now.
>
> There are plenty of bands that only put out one album or CD, but I'm
> not mentioning them. I'm leaving out jazz and classical as well,
> because what's the point?

I don't know what my point is, of having tons of CD's that are
unmarked, cause I have no idea of what's on most of them.
Anyhow, you have some good music. Recess is over.
Time to take our half hour nap.

Jeff

Message has been deleted

Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl

Jan 15, 2010, 5:00:59 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 3:42 pm, Ray <6sickstri...@gmail.com> wrote:

Have you heard each and every albums of theirs completely from
beginning to end? I think I have every album of Steely Dan which I
downloaded for free. And I have only heard the debut and Aja. You can
always have truckload of albums just lying out there gathering dust.

Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl

Jan 15, 2010, 5:02:26 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 3:42 pm, Ray <6sickstri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Rolling Stones

So are you saying you have all the 50 gazillion Stones studio albums
in their entirety?

Message has been deleted

Joe Ramirez

Jan 15, 2010, 5:12:50 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 4:58 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jan 15, 3:42 pm, Ray <6sickstri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The Dead Milkmen
>
> Interesting name for a band.

Quasicomic pop punk from the mid-80s that proved to be ahead of its
time.

> > Nickel Creek
>
> Who? Never heard of them.

Not rock -- newgrass. Pretty good band.

Jeff

Jan 15, 2010, 5:19:01 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 4:00 pm, Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com>

I put a stack of my albums by an apartment dumpster. People
gathered them and walked away.

Jeff

Jan 15, 2010, 5:20:06 PM1/15/10
> One of these days, you'll come to terms with realizing that everyone
> with whom you argue has heard far more music than you have.
>
> For me, compiling such a list would be virtually impossible. It would be
> impossible to recall every name. Hundreds.

List some. I'll bookmark it. Thanks.

Jeff

Jan 15, 2010, 5:20:28 PM1/15/10

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Message has been deleted

RichL

Jan 15, 2010, 6:58:44 PM1/15/10

25 studio albums.
And how on earth could you have an album *not* in its entirety?

Wikus van de Merwe

Jan 15, 2010, 7:09:11 PM1/15/10
1) Raja and the Vag Lubers.

Ray

Jan 15, 2010, 10:01:43 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 4:58 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jan 15, 3:42 pm, Ray <6sickstri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 15, 4:10 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

<SNIP

> > OOH OOH OOH, Can I play:
>
> Sure Ray. It's recess. We're back in "kindegarden"

Pretty much what I'm here for, exercise the 'lord of the flies' part
of my brain. Too much order and discipline in the world of computers.

> > These are restricted to the ones I actually own on CD, LP, Cassette or
> > 8Track :
>
> > The A's
> > the Beatles
> > The Band
> > Bob Dylan
> > Bonnie Raitt
> > Bonzo Dog Band
> > The Cars
> > Chris Smither
> > Cream
> > David Bowie
> > The Dead Milkmen
>
> Interesting name for a band.

The Dead Milkmen (Like The A's) were local Philly Favorites back in
the late 70's into the 80's. The Milkmen made MTV with the song "Punk
Rock Girl" which immortalized the shop Zipperhead (long gone now)
where an actual punk rock girl I dated worked. She had a mohawk and
everything. (In the interest of full disclosure: she got the mohawk
after we stopped dating.) I'm pretty sure she's still down there
running some sort of shop or something, but alas, South Street
nowadays is about as 'punk' as the Gap.

> > Derek and the Dominoes
> > The Eagles
> > Emerson Lake and Palmer (except for Love Beach, I have limits)
> > Elvis Costello
> > Gorillaz
> > Graham Paker and the Rumour
> > The Grateful Dead
> > Janis Joplin
> > Jeff Beck
> > Jethro Tull
> > Jimi Hendrix
> > Led Zeppelin
> > Little Feat
> > Los Lobos
> > Lou and Peter Berryman
> > Lynyrd Skynyrd (the orginal band only)
>
> Have you heard the new version of Free Bird? I like it.

No, I have not, but I'm always up for a new Free Bird. I was really
hoping to see them at bike week one time. Instead we got crap like
Billie Ray Cyrus the one time I made the big concert. Cleared that
place out like a bomb going off.

> > The Moody Blues
> > Neil Young (yes, even Everybody's Rockin' and Trans)
> > Nickel Creek
>
> Who? Never heard of them.

Nickel Creek are a bluegrass band that I saw at the Philadelphia Folk
Festival a few years back. They blew the place away Chris Thile is a
monster of the mandolin. They also has some really off kilter chord
changes and melodies which I found fascinating. They came back one
year and Chris jammed with John Hartford, one of the most amazing
performances I have ever seen on any stage.

http://www.nickelcreek.com/

> > Simon and Garfunkel
> > Steely Dan
> > SRV
> > Talking Heads
> > Tom Waits
> > The Allman Brothers Band
> > Gov't Mule
>
> That's a funny name.

Think of what you might get if you crossed Cream with the Allman
Brothers Band. Best live rock show I have seen in many a year, Gov't
Mule at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville.

Not everyone's cup of meat frankly. I can't live without it.

> > The Who
> > ZZ Top
> > The Sex Pistols
>
> > All of Genesis albums with Steve Hackett
> > All of the Yes albums before Tormato
>
> > In the interest of accuracy:
> > I have sold most of the LPs after ripping them.
>
> Best thing to do.
>
> > Ripped the cassette tapes and trashed them.
> > The 8-Tracks were stolen from my car in 1976.
>
> Did you ever use them as Widow scrapers?

Window scrapers, rolling trays, hell I once used a copy of Rick
Wakeman's "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (and a few other, even
less memorable 8 tracks) for traction when my '66 Impala got stuck in
the mud at Pocono raceway.

> > CDs are mostly in storage right now.
>
> > There are plenty of bands that only put out one album or CD, but I'm
> > not mentioning them. I'm leaving out jazz and classical as well,
> > because what's the point?
>
> I don't know what my point is, of having tons of CD's that are
> unmarked, cause I have no idea of what's on most of them.
> Anyhow, you have some good music. Recess is over.
> Time to take our half hour nap.

What I meant was, why drag Bach and Monk into it, I'll never have all
of thier official releases. ;-)

> Jeff

Ray

progea

Jan 15, 2010, 10:02:58 PM1/15/10
Hear off, Raja!

bubba

Jan 15, 2010, 10:54:03 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 2:41 pm, Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

eat my ass

Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl

Jan 15, 2010, 11:49:43 PM1/15/10
On Jan 15, 5:58 pm, "RichL" <rpleav...@yahoo.com> wrote:

the word heard was missing.

abe slaney

Jan 16, 2010, 1:32:28 AM1/16/10
On Jan 15, 5:00 pm, poisoned rose <prose1...@aol.com> wrote:
> Ray <6sickstri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Bonzo Dog Band
>
> I'd like to be able to say that. Only have heard one Rhino anthology.

I'm genuinely surprised! I have two (I think) - Keynsham and The
Doughnut in Granny's Greenhouse. Plus The Best of the Bonzos, which is
the compilation that first drove me to get the other two. I never
listen to my lps any more, but if you're curious there are some great
tracks that never made it to the various anthologies.

83LowRider

Jan 16, 2010, 2:09:22 AM1/16/10
<irrelevant groups snipped>

"RichL" wrote:

> 25 studio albums.

Throw in the imports and compilations and I've got about 50,
(and likely there's probably a few missing)
Still far less than Waylon (80+) or Willie (100+) tho..

:0)

Rolling Stones (OR) 1964 - 12 X 5
Rolling Stones (OR) 1964 - England's Newest Hitmakers
Rolling Stones (OR) 1964 - Hot Rocks 1964-1971
Rolling Stones (OR) 1965 - December's Children
Rolling Stones (OR) 1965 - Out Of Our Heads
Rolling Stones (OR) 1965 - The Rolling Stones No. 2 (+ extras - UK
Release
Rolling Stones (OR) 1965 - The Rolling Stones, Now
Rolling Stones (OR) 1966 - Aftermath
Rolling Stones (OR) 1966 - Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass
Rolling Stones (OR) 1966 - Got Live If You Want It
Rolling Stones (OR) 1967 - Between The Buttons
Rolling Stones (OR) 1967 - Flowers_ALBW.mp3
Rolling Stones (OR) 1967 - Their Satanic Majesties Request
Rolling Stones (OR) 1968 - Beggars Banquet
Rolling Stones (OR) 1969 - Let It Bleed
Rolling Stones (OR) 1969 - Through The Past Darkly
Rolling Stones (OR) 1970 - Around And Around (Mono)
Rolling Stones (OR) 1970 - Get Your Ya Ya's Out
Rolling Stones (OR) 1971 - Milestones
Rolling Stones (OR) 1971 - Sticky Fingers
Rolling Stones (OR) 1972 - Exile On Main Street
Rolling Stones (OR) 1972 - More Hot Rocks
Rolling Stones (OR) 1973 - Goats Head Soup_ALBW.mp3
Rolling Stones (OR) 1973 - No Stone Unturned (2005 Russian Edition w. 7
Bonus)
Rolling Stones (OR) 1973 - No Stone Unturned (German Decca w. 9 Bonus)
Rolling Stones (OR) 1974 - It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
Rolling Stones (OR) 1975 - Made In The Shade
Rolling Stones (OR) 1975 - Metamorphosis (24 Bit Remaster)
Rolling Stones (OR) 1975 - Rolled Gold - The Very Best Of
Rolling Stones (OR) 1976 - Black And Blue
Rolling Stones (OR) 1977 - Love You Live
Rolling Stones (OR) 1978 - Some Girls
Rolling Stones (OR) 1979 - Time Waits For No One
Rolling Stones (OR) 1980 - Emotional Rescue
Rolling Stones (OR) 1981 - Sucking In The Seventies
Rolling Stones (OR) 1981 - Tattoo You (Collector's Edition)
Rolling Stones (OR) 1982 - Still Life - 1981 Tour Live
Rolling Stones (OR) 1983 - Undercover
Rolling Stones (OR) 1984 - Rewind
Rolling Stones (OR) 1986 - Dirty Work
Rolling Stones (OR) 1989 - Singles Collection - The London Years
Rolling Stones (OR) 1989 - Steel Wheels
Rolling Stones (OR) 1991 - Flashpoint
Rolling Stones (OR) 1993 - Jump Back (Best Of 71-93)
Rolling Stones (OR) 1994 - Vodoo Lounge
Rolling Stones (OR) 1995 - Rock and Roll Circus
Rolling Stones (OR) 1995 - Stripped
Rolling Stones (OR) 1997 - Bridges To Babylon
Rolling Stones (OR) 1998 - No Security
Rolling Stones (OR) 2004 - Live Licks
Rolling Stones (OR) 2005 - A Bigger Bang

Acisclo

Jan 16, 2010, 8:52:39 AM1/16/10
"Ray" <6sicks...@gmail.com> wrote
> The A's
> Bonzo Dog Band
> Chris Smither
> Lou and Peter Berryman

Your list pretty much matches mine, except for the 4 guys above, which I'd
never heard of before. I will try them today, so thank you.

Also important in my list would be:
Peter Gabriel and related.
Peter Hammill, VDGG and related.
King Crimson, Robert Fripp and related.
Caravan, Gentle Giant...

globular

Jan 16, 2010, 10:45:18 AM1/16/10

All 3 Bangles albums, the first one was the best, All Over The Place.
Never heard the third Go Gos album. Their fourth one from 2000 was
pretty good. People listen to it and think it's older.

globular

Jan 16, 2010, 10:55:07 AM1/16/10
Joe Ramirez wrote:
> On Jan 15, 4:58 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On Jan 15, 3:42 pm, Ray <6sickstri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> The Dead Milkmen
>> Interesting name for a band.
>
> Quasicomic pop punk from the mid-80s that proved to be ahead of its
> time.

No, everything after is behind.
I hate people saying anything from the 80s is 'ahead of its time'.

Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl

Jan 16, 2010, 11:03:10 AM1/16/10
On Jan 16, 9:55 am, globular <s...@there.invalid> wrote:
> Joe Ramirez wrote:

> >> Interesting name for a band.
>
> > Quasicomic pop punk from the mid-80s that proved to be ahead of its
> > time.
>
> No, everything after is behind.
> I hate people saying anything from the 80s is 'ahead of its time'.

80s was a retro decade anyway. Add a little bit of synth to 50s and
60s pop doesnt make it modern.

globular

Jan 16, 2010, 11:08:37 AM1/16/10
Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl wrote:
> On Jan 16, 9:55 am, globular <s...@there.invalid> wrote:
>> Joe Ramirez wrote:
>>> Quasicomic pop punk from the mid-80s that proved to be ahead of its
>>> time.
>> No, everything after is behind.
>> I hate people saying anything from the 80s is 'ahead of its time'.
>
> 80s was a retro decade anyway. Add a little bit of synth to 50s and
> 60s pop doesnt make it modern.

It was there when it happened, it's only retro when it's in the past.
Everything's modern nowadays.
But I guess they were ahead of their time in the 50s and the 60s before
the real present arrived. Are we there yet.

Joe Ramirez

Jan 16, 2010, 11:13:47 AM1/16/10
On Jan 16, 10:55 am, globular <s...@there.invalid> wrote:
> Joe Ramirez wrote:

> >> Interesting name for a band.
>
> > Quasicomic pop punk from the mid-80s that proved to be ahead of its
> > time.
>
> No, everything after is behind.
> I hate people saying anything from the 80s is 'ahead of its time'.

You may hate it, but it's true in this case. Lightweight pop punk
blossomed in the '90s.

globular

Jan 16, 2010, 11:14:42 AM1/16/10
Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl wrote:

ELO, including the disappointing Zoom and Jeff Lynne's slightly peculiar
solo album. No ELO Mark II.
Time from 1981, an underrated album, after the awful 70s influences had
gone away.

Ray

Jan 16, 2010, 11:20:15 AM1/16/10
On Jan 15, 5:00 pm, Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com>

Here's the deal. I bought my first LP record in 1970 at a store called
EJ Korvette, it was "Abbey Road" by the Beatles. Between that purchase
and when I stopped buying vinyl I owned somewhere north of 500 LP
records. I have friends who owned lots more than that. When I was in
college sharing music with people, usually when you purchased a new
record for example, was an important social ritual. I don't see people
doing that much anymore, but we were doing it as late as the original
CD release of Sgt Pepper. So not only have I heard the 500 or so LPs I
owned, 400 + CDs etc... I have listened to many albums by people I
didn't really care about enough to purchase myself. Bands like Gentle
Giant, Alan Parsons Project (band?) or Return to Forever (well, I got
one or two of theirs.)

Not only have I listened to every Beatles and every Stones album, I've
done it in the space of a week when I'm really bored at work. These
iPod deals (and walkmen and minidisc players) make it easy to listen
to music anywhere at anytime. I do.

Ray

Jan 16, 2010, 11:21:19 AM1/16/10
On Jan 16, 8:52 am, "Acisclo" <acis...@cordoba.net> wrote:
> "Ray" <6sickstri...@gmail.com> wrote

The Berryman's are very strange people indeed. Best known for "The F-
word Song" they are a duo consisting of guitar and accordion.

Ray

Jan 16, 2010, 3:11:22 PM1/16/10

I just got the box set of Get Yer Ya Yas out (that makes three copies
I've owned) and from way back when until late last night, that album
kicks ass on a level most bands can only dream about. And the addition
of the acoustic blues segments really caps it for me.

I think I need to get the criterion collection blue ray disc of Gimme
Shelter to complete the obsession.

Ray

Jan 16, 2010, 3:19:34 PM1/16/10

OOoh, I forgot them, had all their stuff that came out on vinyl, kinda
lost interest when they replaced with strings with more synths. Took a
lot of the fun out of it for me. Saw them live three times. The last
one was the big spaceship deal, great fun, but they lost me after that
as I moved into a more traditional direction. Prog rock at the end of
the seventies was kind of losing it's edge for me and I went looking
for some new stuff.

Found it too.

Crisstti

Jan 16, 2010, 4:00:17 PM1/16/10
Only The Beatles, I think. Close with Paul, John and Queen.

83LowRider

Jan 16, 2010, 4:04:40 PM1/16/10

"Ray" wrote:

I just got the box set of Get Yer Ya Yas out (that makes three copies
I've owned) and from way back when until late last night, that album
kicks ass on a level most bands can only dream about. And the addition
of the acoustic blues segments really caps it for me.

I think I need to get the criterion collection blue ray disc of Gimme
Shelter to complete the obsession.

--------------------------

I've still got the 3D vinyl cover of Satanic Majesties Request and
Sticky Fingers with the actual zipper, as well as a couple 60's
mono releases. I'm not sure why tho, as my turntable hasn't seen
any action in the last 20 years.

Most of the vinyl I've owned was soon added to or replaced by either
an 8 track, cassette or cd. I know I've bought the White Album at
least 5 times.

The talk of the Stones in a Beatles group made me
think about uploading the Lennon performance from
Rock and Roll Circus, but a quick search showed it
to already be on Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4nYFpQoeyA

Message has been deleted

Ray

Jan 16, 2010, 4:09:28 PM1/16/10

I had the zipper cover, but satanic majesty I didn't get until CDs, so
not 3D. I wore the grooves out on that LP for sure.

I still play "Brown Sugar" every time I tune one of my guitars to open
G. That and Honky Tonk Women

Message has been deleted

RichL

Jan 16, 2010, 8:09:29 PM1/16/10

That gets posted here (with accompanying discussion) from time to time.
Recently it appeared in the alt.guitar newsgroup, where it triggered a
debate as to whether Clapton played lead on the White Album original.
Heresy!

Nutella

Jan 16, 2010, 10:45:48 PM1/16/10
Bruce Springsteen
Jethro Tull
The Beatles
Laura Pausini
Claudio Baglioni
Eros Ramazzotti
Biagio Antonacci

Frank from Deeeetroit

Jan 16, 2010, 11:24:55 PM1/16/10
> to music anywhere at anytime. I do.- Hide quoted text -

EJ Korvettes? You must be from Deeeetroit. Bought my White Album
there for $8.88

Doyle Wilburn

Jan 17, 2010, 12:12:06 AM1/17/10
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:19:34 -0800 (PST), Ray <6sicks...@gmail.com>
wrote:

"Armchair Symphony" was pretty good stuff. Jeff was the brains of the
band to be sure, but as it turns out he needed Bev, Richard, Kelly and
the boys almost as much as they needed him.

Crisstti

Jan 17, 2010, 1:38:18 AM1/17/10
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 13:00:17 -0800 (PST), Crisstti wrote:

> Only The Beatles, I think. Close with Paul, John and Queen.

And Percy of Led Zep. I sure would love to do him :)

Ray

Jan 17, 2010, 9:39:15 AM1/17/10
On Jan 16, 11:24 pm, Frank from Deeeetroit <dadurwe...@voyager.net>
wrote:

Philadelphia actually, now a part of town I do not visit voluntarily.

It's also the place where I found the back issue of Rolling Stone with
the second half of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas after my
subscription ran out.

Nutella

Jan 17, 2010, 9:09:01 PM1/17/10
> The A's
> The Dead Milkmen
> Bruce Springsteen

You must be from Philly. Almost nobody mentions The A's or Dead
Milkmen anymore. You like Beru Revue? Tommy Conwell? Hooters? Hazard?

Superdave

Jan 17, 2010, 9:22:46 PM1/17/10

do you remember A-Treat soda ? Ballantine and Schmidt beer ? Do any of
these still exist ?

Now here's one for you .... anybody remember Neuweiler beer ?

Or how about the even less known F&S ?

Ray

Jan 17, 2010, 9:47:39 PM1/17/10

I just saw the Hooters at that Spectrum Demolition nostalgia concert
deal. They were very good. Todd Rundgren was wayy better. Hall and
Oates were also very good. (not my favorites but you can't fault the
way they played. I'm also on board with Daryl Hall that the only good
deer is a dead deer.)

Oh, and You forgot Quincy and Alan Mann.

globular

Jan 18, 2010, 9:45:56 AM1/18/10
poisoned rose wrote:

> globular <se...@there.invalid> wrote:
>
>> ELO, including the disappointing Zoom
>
> I heard that several months ago, and thought it was surprisingly good
> for what it was. Was a relief to hear ELO minus the disco strings. I
> actually ended up grabbing two tracks on mp3 ("Moment in Paradise" and
> "Ordinary Dream").

The sounds is more monotonous and predictable than the older stuff.
The last ELO album before, in 1986, sounds a bit like it. There's
always at least one really good song on an ELO album, and usually a
boring 'rock and roll' song.

globular

Jan 18, 2010, 9:51:02 AM1/18/10
poisoned rose wrote:
> globular <se...@there.invalid> wrote:
>
>> ELO, including the disappointing Zoom
>
> I heard that several months ago, and thought it was surprisingly good
> for what it was. Was a relief to hear ELO minus the disco strings. I
> actually ended up grabbing two tracks on mp3 ("Moment in Paradise" and
> "Ordinary Dream").

Maybe it was the time or something, but I have a particular soft spot
for Time and Secret Messages. They both surprised me. I had sort of
moved on from ELO when both came out, especially at the time of Secret
Messages, Discovery had gone too disco for me. Secret Messages was more
introspective than most, I think Jeff Lynne had broken up with his
girlfriend or wife by then, who was new when he did Time, and I think
she is on that one. A bit of a homage to Bob Dylan on Blood on the
Tracks at times on Secret Messages if I am not mistaken.

bryan

Jan 18, 2010, 12:31:54 PM1/18/10

"Ray" <6sicks...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> the Beatles
> The Band
> Bob Dylan
> Bonnie Raitt
> Bonzo Dog Band
> The Cars
> Chris Smither
> Cream
> David Bowie
> The Dead Milkmen
> Derek and the Dominoes
> The Eagles
> Emerson Lake and Palmer (except for Love Beach, I have limits)
> Elvis Costello
> Gorillaz
> Graham Paker and the Rumour
> The Grateful Dead
> Janis Joplin
> Jeff Beck
> Jethro Tull
> Jimi Hendrix
> Led Zeppelin
> Little Feat
> Los Lobos
> Lou and Peter Berryman
> Lynyrd Skynyrd (the orginal band only)
> The Moody Blues
> Neil Young (yes, even Everybody's Rockin' and Trans)
> Nickel Creek
> Simon and Garfunkel
> Steely Dan
> SRV
> Talking Heads
> Tom Waits
> The Allman Brothers Band
> Gov't Mule
> Bruce Springsteen
> Dire Straits
> Mark Knopfler
> Phish
> Procol Harum
> REM
> Queens of the Stone Age
> The Replacements
> Richard Thompson
> Sly & the Family Stone
> P-Funk & George Clinton
> The English Beat
> The Clash
> The Traveling Wilburys
> Was Not Was
> Weather Report
> XTC
> Wilco
> The Yardbirds
> All the George H Solo Albums
> The Rolling Stones
> Pink Floyd
> moe.
> Frank Zappa (& the Mothers)
> The Who
> ZZ Top
> The Sex Pistols
>

> All of Genesis albums with Steve Hackett
> All of the Yes albums before Tormato
>
> In the interest of accuracy:
> I have sold most of the LPs after ripping them.
> Ripped the cassette tapes and trashed them.
> The 8-Tracks were stolen from my car in 1976.
> CDs are mostly in storage right now.
>
> There are plenty of bands that only put out one album or CD, but I'm
> not mentioning them.

except Derek and the Dominoes :-)) or have I forgotten the name of their
second studio album?

bryan

Jan 18, 2010, 12:52:58 PM1/18/10

"Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl" <zepf...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Jan 15, 3:42 pm, Ray <6sickstri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The Rolling Stones
>
> So are you saying you have all the 50 gazillion Stones studio albums
> in their entirety?

why not quiz him about the 200 gazillion Zappa albums? :-)

bryan

Jan 18, 2010, 1:32:14 PM1/18/10

> These are the ones for me....
>
> 1) The Beatles (have heard all their 12 official albums. Even the
> crappy second part of Yellow Submarine which is not really theirs)
> 2) Led Zeppelin (only 9 albums counting Coda, so not a tough task)
> 3) Pink Floyd (I have heard all their 14 studio albums, Pink Floyd was
> my #1 band once)
> 4) Joy Division (only 2 studio albums, so hard not to cover them)
> 5) Sex Pistols (only one official studio album, so easy)
> 6) The Jimi Hendrix Experience (barely remember the last two, but have
> heard all three studio albums at least once)
> 7) The Doors (heard all their album disappointed with The Soft Parade
> which was awful)
> 8) The Police (I thought all of them were terrible)
> 9) The Yardbirds (only two of them were non compilations, so easy to
> cover them)
> 10) The Velvet Underground (none of the last 3 can compare to the
> debut, but I have heard all 4)
> 11) Stone Roses (just 2 albums not easy to miss)
>
> Some artists, I have come close to listening it all...
> 1) The Who - haven't heard Who Are You (only parts of it), Face
> Dances, Its Hard and Endless Wire
> 2) Cream - haven't heard Goodbye

you're missing a good one there..

> 3) Yes - haven't heard Open Your Eyes, Union (only parts of it), Talk
> (only parts of it), Keys To Ascencion 1&2 (only parts of it)
> 4) The Verve - haven't heard their latest one, supposedly junk. The
> first three were good
>
> Others like Kinks, Rolling Stones have way too many albums and I dont
> think I will ever be able to listen to their stuff in the 80s, 90s
> even late 70s

Gram Parsons (post Burritos)
Cream
Jimi Hendrix
Crosby Stills Nash and Young
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (and most of what followed but not all)
Led Zeppelin (except only the tracks from Coda on the 4 disc compilation)
Joy Division

there are probably a few more but what is the merit in hearing every
official studio album by say Neil Young, as much as I admire Neil I'm not
sure I want to hear everything he recorded in say the 80's, 90's and later
and the same goes for Bob Dylan and many others.....

Ray

Jan 18, 2010, 1:45:27 PM1/18/10
On Jan 18, 12:52 pm, "bryan" <bryanhenderson2NOS...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> "Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl" <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:9ee14bdc-345f-404f...@k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...

> > On Jan 15, 3:42 pm, Ray <6sickstri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> The Rolling Stones
>
> > So are you saying you have all the 50 gazillion Stones studio albums
> > in their entirety?
>
> why not quiz him about the 200 gazillion Zappa albums?   :-)

That's a pretty good indication of how well informed he is about
music.

And is it really that difficult to listen to a whole album from
beginning to end? I just started by day by listening to the Bowie box
set "Sound and Vision" while I wrote a stored procedure to export lead
data to one of our big customers.

Ray

Jan 18, 2010, 1:47:15 PM1/18/10
On Jan 18, 12:31 pm, "bryan" <bryanhenderson2NOS...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> "Ray" <6sickstri...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> second studio album?  - Hide quoted text -

You are correct, the second album was a live album. Good catch.

Ray

Jan 18, 2010, 1:48:59 PM1/18/10
On Jan 18, 1:32 pm, "bryan" <bryanhenderson2NOS...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> "Steffi Ivan Graf Lendl" <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:a439589e-cc80-42aa...@r26g2000vbi.googlegroups.com...
> and the same goes for Bob Dylan and many others.....- Hide quoted text -

Buying every Neil Young album will tax your resources for sure. But
it's usually worth it. There are a few I might give back, but I do
admire the fact that he does his own thing, even if it won't sell.

bryan

Jan 18, 2010, 2:31:34 PM1/18/10
"Ray" <6sicks...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sure Neil isn't always understood by some of his fans but definitely has a
mind of his own. If you've time perhaps you could say something about his
Geffen years, apart from Trans which I bought, and some of his 00's output.
I only bought Greendale and CD2. Which are the real stinkers if any?

You must have spent a small fortune on Zappa.....

Ray

Jan 18, 2010, 4:29:23 PM1/18/10
On Jan 18, 2:31 pm, "bryan" <bryanhenderson2NOS...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> "Ray" <6sickstri...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You must have spent a small fortune on Zappa.....- Hide quoted text -

Trans is my least favorite, Everybody's Rockin' has it's moments but
seems kind of pointless.

My favorite from the 90's is probably WELD, if for no other reason,
there's a monster version of Cortez the Killer on there.

Ray

Jan 18, 2010, 4:33:30 PM1/18/10
wrote:
> "Ray" <6sickstri...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You must have spent a small fortune on Zappa.....- Hide quoted text -

It really started getting expensive when they started releasing the
"vaulternative" live CDs. My copy of FZ OZ has an insert with the
names of all the people who pre-paid for the release so the ZFT didn't
have to risk any money on the release.

When I got serious about filling in my Zappa collection I used to make
trips to New York City to Park Row, where you will find JR Music
World. They had (at that time, and yet they may still) the best
selection of CDs anywhere. including ALL of the fill ins I needed for
my Zappa collection.

Yeah, my name is on that insert.

Message has been deleted

globular

Jan 18, 2010, 8:00:13 PM1/18/10
poisoned rose wrote:
> globular <se...@there.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> I heard that several months ago, and thought it was surprisingly good
>>> for what it was. Was a relief to hear ELO minus the disco strings. I
>>> actually ended up grabbing two tracks on mp3 ("Moment in Paradise" and
>>> "Ordinary Dream").
>> The sounds is more monotonous and predictable than the older stuff.
>
> Just seemed to me like a rare ELO album where the songwriting/melodies
> were more important than the production gimmicks. And Lynne wasn't doing
> as much of that fey falsetto voice which drives me nuts.
>
> I went back and played the above two songs, because I couldn't remember
> how they went. I still like 'em.

I don't know that I meant what I said. It just seemed that Jeff had
worked out how he would sound on everything he did. I haven't heard the
album in ages anyway. I've recently heard for the first time, a few
Move singles from 1970 to 72 when Jeff was in the group, Chinatown,
California Man,. He sounds younger but familiar there.