Yet another remaster-rumour?

1 view

bawimeko

Sep 5, 2008, 7:07:55 PM9/5/08
"Beatles remaster are finally happening
Yes, it´s definitely going to happen. Apple Corps will make a statement
sometime during the next few weeks. Apparently, the delay this time has
been down to the fact that the new CEO at Apple, Jeff Jones, wasn´t
happy with the way the remasters sounded and was packaged, and had them
all redone. The remastered "White Album" is due out in November and the
other UK editions of the Beatles-catalogue are to follow. According to
my source, who´s got friends working at Apple, most albums will be
released as double CD´s with mono and stereo mixes (on separate discs)
and a Deluxe edition with 5.1 as additional option. All will have lavish
packaging. A splendid 2008/2009 is guaranteed for all !!!"

Ik know you're all very busy covering all the election-candidates, but
this is something of interest to Beatle-fans, I thought....

Bernie Woodham

Sep 5, 2008, 7:39:54 PM9/5/08

Even that's not enough to make me re-buy. I wand either SACD or DVD-A

The Family Chauffeur

Sep 5, 2008, 7:47:15 PM9/5/08
> A splendid 2008/2009 is guaranteed for all !!!"

...at least until 2010, when yet another set of remasters will separate a
fool and his money.

Jeff

Sep 5, 2008, 8:09:28 PM9/5/08

Why would they start with the white album? And..remastered isn't good
enough. I want the albums to be remixed as well. Ringo's drumming
continues to be in the
background. I want to hear the kick drum. Sounds like another rumor to
me.

Stephen X. Carter

Sep 5, 2008, 8:08:49 PM9/5/08
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:39:54 -0700 (PDT), Bernie Woodham <birnh...@insightbb.com> wrote:

>On Sep 5, 7:07=A0pm, bawimeko <bawim...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> =A0 "Beatles remaster are finally happening
>> Yes, it=B4s definitely going to happen. Apple Corps will make a statement

>> sometime during the next few weeks. Apparently, the delay this time has

>> been down to the fact that the new CEO at Apple, Jeff Jones, wasn=B4t

>> happy with the way the remasters sounded and was packaged, and had them
>> all redone. The remastered "White Album" is due out in November and the
>> other UK editions of the Beatles-catalogue are to follow. According to

>> my source, who=B4s got friends working at Apple, most albums will be
>> released as double CD=B4s with mono and stereo mixes (on separate discs)

>> and a Deluxe edition with 5.1 as additional option. All will have lavish
>> packaging. A splendid 2008/2009 is guaranteed for all !!!"
>>
>> Ik know you're all very busy covering all the election-candidates, but
>> this is something of interest to Beatle-fans, I thought....
>
>Even that's not enough to make me re-buy. I wand either SACD or DVD-A

Isn't that implied by the "5.1"?

--
steve.hat.stephencarter.not.com.but.net
Nothing is Beatle Proof!!

Jeff

Sep 5, 2008, 8:12:17 PM9/5/08

SACD isn't getting enough attention is it, for them to bother? It's a
format that hasn't really taking off..is my point.

Jeff

Sep 5, 2008, 8:32:40 PM9/5/08
On Sep 5, 7:08 pm, steve@[127.0.0.1] (Stephen X. Carter) wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:39:54 -0700 (PDT), Bernie Woodham <birnhamw...@insightbb.com> wrote:
> >On Sep 5, 7:07=A0pm, bawimeko <bawim...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >> =A0 "Beatles remaster are finally happening
> >> Yes, it=B4s definitely going to happen. Apple Corps will make a statement
> >> sometime during the next few weeks. Apparently, the delay this time has
> >> been down to the fact that the new CEO at Apple, Jeff Jones, wasn=B4t
> >> happy with the way the remasters sounded and was packaged, and had them
> >> all redone. The remastered "White Album" is due out in November and the
> >> other UK editions of the Beatles-catalogue are to follow. According to
> >> my source, who=B4s got friends working at Apple, most albums will be
> >> released as double CD=B4s with mono and stereo mixes (on separate discs)
> >> and a Deluxe edition with 5.1 as additional option. All will have lavish
> >> packaging. A splendid 2008/2009 is guaranteed for all !!!"
>
> >> Ik know you're all very busy covering all the election-candidates, but
> >> this is something of interest to Beatle-fans, I thought....
>
> >Even that's not enough to make me re-buy.  I wand either SACD or DVD-A
>
> Isn't that implied by the "5.1"?

So Steve..are you saying it's impossible for the Beatles Love
album..as well as the album mentioned above..to be released on
vinyl..or the
needle would would not stay in the grooves? Just curious.

Bernie Woodham

Sep 5, 2008, 8:49:01 PM9/5/08
On Sep 5, 8:08 pm, steve@[127.0.0.1] (Stephen X. Carter) wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:39:54 -0700 (PDT), Bernie Woodham <birnhamw...@insightbb.com> wrote:
> >On Sep 5, 7:07=A0pm, bawimeko <bawim...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >> =A0 "Beatles remaster are finally happening
> >> Yes, it=B4s definitely going to happen. Apple Corps will make a statement
> >> sometime during the next few weeks. Apparently, the delay this time has
> >> been down to the fact that the new CEO at Apple, Jeff Jones, wasn=B4t
> >> happy with the way the remasters sounded and was packaged, and had them
> >> all redone. The remastered "White Album" is due out in November and the
> >> other UK editions of the Beatles-catalogue are to follow. According to
> >> my source, who=B4s got friends working at Apple, most albums will be
> >> released as double CD=B4s with mono and stereo mixes (on separate discs)
> >> and a Deluxe edition with 5.1 as additional option. All will have lavish
> >> packaging. A splendid 2008/2009 is guaranteed for all !!!"
>
> >> Ik know you're all very busy covering all the election-candidates, but
> >> this is something of interest to Beatle-fans, I thought....
>
> >Even that's not enough to make me re-buy.  I wand either SACD or DVD-A
>
> Isn't that implied by the "5.1"?

No. 5.1 is either DTS or AC3, either of which can be put on ordinary
CD.

Bernie Woodham

Sep 5, 2008, 8:52:29 PM9/5/08

You can find Pink Floyd and Bob Dylan on SACD. SACD allows the disc
to be played in a normal cd player, ( you get normal cd audio with
that option). There would be no harm in offering it. They might even
sell quite a few SACD players. After all the popularity of a format is
driven by content.

Jeff

Sep 5, 2008, 9:04:29 PM9/5/08

My question, Bernie is..is it possible to either put the Beatles love
album on vinyl..or the white album mentioned here? Sorry for the
confusion.

Tony

Sep 5, 2008, 9:00:00 PM9/5/08
I couldn't care less about the mono remasters. I want SACD/CD hybrids.

Bernie Woodham

Sep 5, 2008, 9:32:10 PM9/5/08

That was your question in a different post. I'm responding to your
comment about SACD.

As far as the vinyl, I believe the White album has been released on
vinyl already. You can get the MFSL version for pretty cheap here:

http://tinyurl.com/69x9u8

You want Love on vinyl? $43.18:

http://tinyurl.com/6ghadx

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 5, 2008, 9:35:33 PM9/5/08
I want to hear the kick drum. Sounds like another rumor to
> me.

Remastering can do a bit to bring that stuff out....but remixing won't
help much on most Beatles tracks since they didn't have 100+ tracks
like they do now, and the kick drum is not going to be on a track by
itself.

TH

RichL

Sep 5, 2008, 9:53:12 PM9/5/08

Ah, but you could still play EQ tricks to bring out the kick! There's
not much else going on in that low register.

O'Leary III

Sep 5, 2008, 10:59:08 PM9/5/08
RichL wrote:

>> Remastering can do a bit to bring that stuff out....but remixing won't
>> help much on most Beatles tracks since they didn't have 100+ tracks
>> like they do now, and the kick drum is not going to be on a track by
>> itself.
>>
>> TH
>
> Ah, but you could still play EQ tricks to bring out the kick! There's
> not much else going on in that low register.

More cowbell!

RichL

Sep 5, 2008, 11:06:20 PM9/5/08

LOL!

Stephen X. Carter

Sep 5, 2008, 11:05:03 PM9/5/08
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 17:32:40 -0700 (PDT), Jeff <yourimag...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On Sep 5, 7:08=A0pm, steve@[127.0.0.1] (Stephen X. Carter) wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:39:54 -0700 (PDT), Bernie Woodham <birnhamw...@insi=
>ghtbb.com> wrote:

[snip]

>> >Even that's not enough to make me re-buy. =A0I wand either SACD or DVD-A

>> Isn't that implied by the "5.1"?
>
>So Steve..are you saying it's impossible for the Beatles Love
>album..as well as the album mentioned above..to be released on
>vinyl..or the needle would would not stay in the grooves? Just curious.

If you think that 5.1 sound is able to be reproduced using vinyl then (as far as I know) you are
very off beam!

As far as I know, if you want 5.1 then you need SACD or DVD-A.

I've said before that the "Love" CD was a waste of time, but that the DVD-A version was
breathtaking and wonderful and superb.

O'Leary III

Sep 5, 2008, 11:28:07 PM9/5/08
Stephen X. Carter wrote:

> If you think that 5.1 sound is able to be reproduced using vinyl then (as far as I know) you are
> very off beam!

You are correct. They can do quad, though.

> As far as I know, if you want 5.1 then you need SACD or DVD-A.
>
> I've said before that the "Love" CD was a waste of time, but that the DVD-A version was
> breathtaking and wonderful and superb.

I agree 100%. The surround is a lot of fun. The stereo, not so much.

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 6, 2008, 12:41:23 AM9/6/08

That's why I said remastering could help.

Bass is in that same register, btw;)

TH

Jeff

Sep 6, 2008, 12:50:49 AM9/6/08

Yeah, I know that Tom, but you can hear the Kick drum on the alternate
vocal take of "Here there and everywhere" to
list one example.

RichL

Sep 6, 2008, 1:08:37 AM9/6/08

Oh sure, but your ear will pick up the bass harmonics. You can cut most
of the fundamental off and it won't sound all that different!

Plus, what I had in mind is just re-EQing the track that has the drums.

Lord Buckeye

Sep 6, 2008, 4:44:07 AM9/6/08
On Sep 5, 4:47 pm, "The Family Chauffeur" <cutlipfam...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> > A splendid 2008/2009 is guaranteed for all !!!"
>
> ...at least until 2010, when yet another set of remasters will separate a
> fool and his money.

Re-master = more compression = crap sound. Just re-issue them all in
mono and be done with it. Heard an interview with John once where he
said all the stereo versions sounded like shit.

brilton

Sep 6, 2008, 5:11:24 AM9/6/08

Fiddling with e.q. like that would sort of defeat the purpose of
remastering the material in the first place. Why not use triggered drum
samples as well?

Manfred Noland

Sep 6, 2008, 6:11:31 AM9/6/08
I would love this to be tue. I really would. I'd love remixed &
remastered 5:1 Beatle albums.
BUT, being a fan I know i'll have to see it to believe it.

RichL

Sep 6, 2008, 8:40:59 AM9/6/08
brilton <not...@yacht.net> wrote:
> RichL wrote:

>> Ah, but you could still play EQ tricks to bring out the kick!
>> There's not much else going on in that low register.
>
> Fiddling with e.q. like that would sort of defeat the purpose of
> remastering the material in the first place. Why not use triggered
> drum samples as well?

Such a comment ignores the fact that George Martin did such things in
the first place. Had he left things sounding "naturally", what we heard
on those original recordings would have been far different.

really real

Sep 6, 2008, 8:46:26 AM9/6/08

> I couldn't care less about the mono remasters. I want SACD/CD hybrids.

What's happened is that blu-ray has made SACD obsolete.

SACD, as did DVD Audio, sound better than cds because they have much
more audio information on them. They fill up a dvd disc which is six
times larger than a cd.

But blu-ray discs are six times larger than dvds. Neil Young as already
announced that his archives box set will come out in blu-ray.

Sony makes both SACD and blu-ray. The reason they don't make blu-ray
players with SACD capability is that SACD is considered a dead format.

whosbest54

Sep 6, 2008, 8:55:48 AM9/6/08
In article <48c1c9ff.4772072@localhost>, steve@[127.0.0.1] says...

>>Even that's not enough to make me re-buy. I wand either SACD or DVD-A
>
>Isn't that implied by the "5.1"?

No. My guess is they will avoid those formats and release them as DVD video
with DD and/or DTS 5.1 tracks. That way they can be played on any DVD player.

SACD and DVD-A have never been more than niche formats.

BTW, vinyl is a niche format too.

EMI wants mass sales.

If they will be true 5.1 mixes, then they will have to be remixed.

whosbest54

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

Jackie Langley

Sep 6, 2008, 10:38:23 AM9/6/08

>> Ah, but you could still play EQ tricks to bring out the kick! There's
>> not much else going on in that low register.

" More cowbell!"

Yes. Everybody's got something to hide except foe me and my Monkey will
sound like we've never heard before!!

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 6, 2008, 11:25:51 AM9/6/08

But that is a different MIX....;)

TH

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 6, 2008, 11:26:36 AM9/6/08

Doesn't have to be...there is already a ton of compression on most of
their stuff anyway...

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 6, 2008, 11:32:45 AM9/6/08

Then you are remixing, not remastering. Remastering is only dealing
with the 2 mx, not individual tracks...

You can do a LOT with remastering with judicial use of EQ. But the
easiest way is to remix (well, that's not EASY, but
it's...rather...the most surefire way to get a new balance.

I probably mix about 5 songs weekly, of all different genres. Getting
the bass and kick to feel right on a particular song is always one of
the things we pay attention to first in todays music (and no I don't
mean DANCE music...just pop/rock in general)....back then it just
wasn't being considered. It would be nice to have both the original
versions, and , as an exploration into curiousity...modern remixes of
as many of their tracks as possible. Just for kicks. And under Paul
and Ringo's supervision. Well, Paul's anyway;)

Certainly things like the "HELP" DVD show that the music can be
brought "up to date" with wonderful results...

TH

Eric B.

Sep 6, 2008, 12:41:36 PM9/6/08
<t...@aerovons.com> wrote in message

Nonsense.

Most all the reduction mixes still exist. The engineer who remixed the YS
movie and album (in dts 5.1) said: "...with some songs, I ended up with a
fairly full 48-track. The Yellow Submarine Songtrack is just an example of
how much the catalog can be improved by remixing and cleaning up.

I quote:

Though few would argue with the results, these progressive "reductions"
inevitably reduced the options for subsequent stereo mixing. Cobbin cites
"Eleanor Rigby" as an example: "The strings octet was the first thing
recorded," he says, noting that the original 4-track tape features two
instruments per track (two violins, two violins, two violas, two celli).
This recording was then bounced down to one track of a second machine, to
which Paul McCartney added two vocal tracks. "So even though they had the
elements for a stereo mix, from that day on, the strings have only been
heard in mono," says Cobbin. "Today, we can sync up the [component tracks],
thus enabling us to use first-generation material. And it gives us options
for placement and panning-for 5.1 that's a very significant advantage."

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_years_remixed_yellow/index.html

Eric B.

RichL

Sep 6, 2008, 1:27:59 PM9/6/08
t...@aerovons.com wrote:
> On Sep 6, 1:08 am, "RichL" <rpleav...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Oh sure, but your ear will pick up the bass harmonics. You can cut
>> most of the fundamental off and it won't sound all that different!
>>
>> Plus, what I had in mind is just re-EQing the track that has the
>> drums.
>
> Then you are remixing, not remastering. Remastering is only dealing
> with the 2 mx, not individual tracks...

Yeah, I realize that. I was trying to extend the conversation outside
of the box a bit...

> You can do a LOT with remastering with judicial use of EQ. But the
> easiest way is to remix (well, that's not EASY, but
> it's...rather...the most surefire way to get a new balance.

Yup. Hey, do you know whether the bass and drums are typically on
separate tracks in the Beatles' original stuff?

bawimeko

Sep 6, 2008, 1:27:09 PM9/6/08
t...@aerovons.com schreef:
I think they used the Love-project to test the waters...some things
didn't work (Yesterday), some things did (the Revolution/Back in the
USSR tracks REALLY rock!). I hope they really bring together the
mono/original stereo and an 'updated' stereo-mix. I'm still not
convinced about any 5.1-format...

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 6, 2008, 2:48:36 PM9/6/08

No, not nonsense, you are referring to later material where there were
at least those reduction mixes available, still not ideal, not when it
comes to raising a kick drum without raising the entire track. Try the
above on "All My Loving" if you want some more kick drum.

TH

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 6, 2008, 2:49:59 PM9/6/08

You can get a great idea by consulting the Recording Sessions book.
There are all manner of things mixed to one track;)

TH

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 6, 2008, 2:57:32 PM9/6/08
"The Yellow Submarine Songtrack is just an example of
how much the catalog can be improved by remixing and cleaning up"

I think the "YS" thing is a great example of people who had no clue
remixing something that should have been left to people who cared
about at least TRYING to reproduce the original intent...."Lucy" for
instance, bears little resemblance to the real mix.

Remixing using reduction mixes could certainly improve things, but it
is no substitute for having discrete elements, which you will never
have on material originally recorded with multiple instruments all on
one track.

The original purpose of the discussion was the idea of bringing out a
kick drum, which can be approached...and improved.... in multiple
ways, none of which are as good as having the kick on it's own track
as it would be today.

TH

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 6, 2008, 3:00:55 PM9/6/08

Agreed....and with it's success perhaps it will encourage further
outings....before we are too old to hear them accurately...

TH

Eric B.

Sep 6, 2008, 3:27:12 PM9/6/08

> "The Yellow Submarine Songtrack is just an example of
> how much the catalog can be improved by remixing and cleaning up"
>
> I think the "YS" thing is a great example of people who had no clue
> remixing something that should have been left to people who cared
> about at least TRYING to reproduce the original intent...."Lucy" for
> instance, bears little resemblance to the real mix.

"The real mix" of LITSWD was a freaking mess. Why try to reproduce crap
using 21st century technology? John sounds like he is channeling Alvin from
the Chipmunks for God's sake.

> Remixing using reduction mixes could certainly improve things, but it
> is no substitute for having discrete elements, which you will never
> have on material originally recorded with multiple instruments all on
> one track.

The reduction mixes are the discrete elements in most cases.

> The original purpose of the discussion was the idea of bringing out a
> kick drum, which can be approached...and improved.... in multiple
> ways, none of which are as good as having the kick on it's own track
> as it would be today.

"On it's own track" is not that important when talking about percussion
because there is always a lot of leakage. I'm sure the kick can be quite
easily isolated from a reduction mix by a qualified engineer, it isn't
rocket science...

P.S. The Love version of LITSWD has a prominent kick drum that is missing
from the original.

Eric B.

Lookingglass

Sep 6, 2008, 3:45:25 PM9/6/08

<t...@aerovons.com> wrote

Certainly things like the "HELP" DVD show that the music can be
brought "up to date" with wonderful results...

TH
**********

Do the songs on the HELP dvd sound *better* than what we have heard so far?
A BIG improvement?

www.Shemakhan.com

john dough

Sep 6, 2008, 3:49:06 PM9/6/08
Watch Century of the Self on Youtube and Archive.org (How corporations,
politicians and governments use psychology to make you choose things using
techniques pioneered by Sigmund Frued and Edward Bernays, the American
father of public relations/propaganda!)

> I couldn't care less about the mono remasters. I want SACD/CD hybrids.

Yes I want SACD hybrids too!

Eric B.

Sep 6, 2008, 3:58:17 PM9/6/08
<t...@aerovons.com> wrote in message

TH

"Nowhere Man" came off Rubber Soul, "Eleanor Rigby" from Revolver. That's
pretty early. If they can remix everything from Revolver forwards (with the
possible exception of LIB) I think most Beatle Fans would be ecstatic.

Ringo on the earlier recordings didn't seem to utilize the kick a lot. You
may be looking to raise a sound that doesn't even exist. Listen to a song
like Help!, he pretty much only plays the kick to punctuate the word "Help"
on the choruses.

Eric B.

Jeff

Sep 6, 2008, 4:53:58 PM9/6/08

Yeah, he said the same thing about the fast version of Revolution, and
he was wrong.
But he never any such thing as you said he said..she said..whoever

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 6, 2008, 5:36:10 PM9/6/08

Eric, I don't why you seem so personally offended by my remarks, if
you are an engineer/producer I'm sure you would understand what I'm
saying. If you are not, then I'm unsure as to where you are coming
from. I've been mixing and recording for many decades,, and have
faced the exact situation we are talking about so am very familiar
with what can and can't be done.

"On it's own track" is plenty important when talking about a kick
drum, and "reduction mixes" are not discrete elements"...they are
GROUPS of discrete elements, and in The Beatles case, at times
disparate groups of elements. You could have stereo reduction mix of a
percussion group of bongoes, shakers, and claves. If someone wanted
the clave louder, you could try EQing it a bit, but it's a kludge, and
not comparable to having discrete tracks. Why do you think modern
productions use 75 and often 100+ tracks?

I'm sorry you're not in love with the original "LITSWD," but that is
neither nor there. Effects are missing in the YS mix that were clearly
on the original, it's a mess. 21st century production techniques have
nothing to do with it. Lennon sounded that way because it was
intentional, not a mistake that somehow made it through mastering and
onward to millions worldwide.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.

TH

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 6, 2008, 6:08:47 PM9/6/08

Oh big time. They are amazing sounding. Worth the price just to
listen. I was particularly struck with "You're Going To Lose That
Girl," which has never sounded so huge. You just keep
thinking...."Wait, there's just 3 guitars, bass, drums, piano and
bongoes in this...it sounds HUGE...." ;)

TH

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 6, 2008, 6:16:33 PM9/6/08

Most Beatles fans would not consider "RS" and "Revolver" as "early"
Beatles outings.

> Ringo on the earlier recordings didn't seem to utilize the kick a lot. You
> may be looking to raise a sound that doesn't even exist. Listen to a song
> like Help!, he pretty much only plays the kick to punctuate the word "Help"
> on the choruses.
>
> Eric B.

No Eric, he plays throughout "Help," as any drummer would, as he does
on all their songs save for the oddball exceptions like "You've Got To
Hide," "Yesterday" et al. Paul and Ringo work extremely well together
re kick and bass, as in "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "All I've Got
To Do," for two examples of many.

In the end, we must also remember that having a kick drum that really
punches you in the chest was not a priority in their music, or much of
anybody's early on in the Sixties. I still remember be enthralled with
the end of "Glad All Over" because Dave Clark ended the piece with
just kick drum and crash cymbal. A kick drum sighting in 1964!

TH

Eric B.

Sep 6, 2008, 6:44:28 PM9/6/08
<t...@aerovons.com> wrote in message

TH

I'm not offended, I'm just outspoken as usual... ;)

The music on Pepper was great, but come on, those mixes are so dated they
needed punch desperately. With all that bouncing they were forced to do
those mixes were stuck in the mud. The remixes gave the music some needed
breathing room with stereo placement for all the instruments instead of a
wall of sound. Frankly, most of the time they were ham handed with the
effects in those days.

If you listen to the Pepper multitracks you will get to understand exactly
how careful they were when stacking tracks. They bounced stuff like crazy
but kept all the reduction mixes. Take Help! again. They put the drums and
bass on a single track. Now if they put the kick on with the vocals or
guitars that would be silly. What I am trying to say is it is a lot easier
to isolate a kick from other instruments on a track than other instruments
from the kick.

Eric B.

O'Leary III

Sep 6, 2008, 7:41:11 PM9/6/08
Jackie Langley wrote:

> " More cowbell!"
>
> Yes. Everybody's got something to hide except foe me and my Monkey will
> sound like we've never heard before!!

That's what I'm talking about!

O'Leary III

Sep 6, 2008, 7:46:24 PM9/6/08
t...@aerovons.com wrote:

> We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.

The guy is an idiot. Always was. Always will be.

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 6, 2008, 10:09:38 PM9/6/08

I know what you mean about the fact that there is no question
"Pepper"...and all their stuff, could be made to sound better, or at
least more friendly to modern ears, and I would welcome that. But that
can be done and still preserve the artistic integrity of the original.
It sounds all high and mighty, and I don't mean it to, I just think
you can do all this modernizing of mixes to achieve today's audio
quality and still preserve the foundations of the intended sounds.
Silly stuff like having "Across the Universe" fade out into a wall of
reverb on "LIB Naked" is just that....silly and contrived, and not on
the original. Deliciously bad.

"Lucy" was greatly enhanced by FX, and the guys who remixed it
apparently had no clue or love for the original. Why didn't they just
take the tape delay of John's voice in "DITL" while they were at
it? ;) "Hey Bulldog" was definitely impressive though, they got that
right.

I would personally love to hear all the stuff remixed, but some of the
early stuff is probably beyond salvation (I mean EARLY stuff;). But
I'm all for whatever they can do if done well. I've run out of Beatles
stuff to buy, I'm ready.

AND HEY....what's the deal with the "White" album? I got it for my
daughter the other day and inside, the CD label is WHITE. What
happened to the Apple label?? More revisionism!

TH

t...@aerovons.com

Sep 6, 2008, 10:12:25 PM9/6/08

Well it's too bad we are not all able to hear the inflection in our
voices as we write, I often take things wrong when someone didn't mean
it that way, such is the net and the printed word. I think I know what
Eric meant originally.

Personally, I'm in a much better mood now that the hurricane has
turned South (I'm in FL) ;)

TH

O'Leary III

Sep 6, 2008, 11:23:25 PM9/6/08
t...@aerovons.com wrote:

> Well it's too bad we are not all able to hear the inflection in our
> voices as we write, I often take things wrong when someone didn't mean
> it that way, such is the net and the printed word. I think I know what
> Eric meant originally.
>
> Personally, I'm in a much better mood now that the hurricane has
> turned South (I'm in FL) ;)

I'm glad about that too, but like you said, it doesn't change the facts.

Eric B.

Sep 7, 2008, 10:02:38 AM9/7/08
"O'Leary III" <"yeahwatttabout it"@yuck.com> wrote in message

> t...@aerovons.com wrote:
>
>> We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.
>
> The guy is an idiot. Always was. Always will be.

This from the guy that changed his display name to he could troll me in a
support group.

Eric B.

Eric B.

Sep 7, 2008, 10:42:55 AM9/7/08
<t...@aerovons.com> wrote in message

I said "pretty early", not early.

> Ringo on the earlier recordings didn't seem to utilize the kick a lot. You
> may be looking to raise a sound that doesn't even exist. Listen to a song
> like Help!, he pretty much only plays the kick to punctuate the word
> "Help"
> on the choruses.
>
> Eric B.

No Eric, he plays throughout "Help," as any drummer would, as he does
on all their songs save for the oddball exceptions like "You've Got To
Hide," "Yesterday" et al. Paul and Ringo work extremely well together
re kick and bass, as in "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "All I've Got
To Do," for two examples of many.

Nope, except for the last verse he only played it to accentuate the
choruses. Here, listen for yourself:

http://tinyurl.com/6x8fan

I have deconstructed the mixes so I know for sure. Please don't make
statements based on assumptions.

Eric B.

ps3921126

Sep 7, 2008, 6:53:00 PM9/7/08
On Sep 6, 9:41 am, "Eric B." <bigb...@sesamestreet.com> wrote:
> <t...@aerovons.com> wrote in message

> > I want to hear the kick drum. Sounds like another rumor to
> >> me.
>
> > Remastering can do a bit to bring that stuff out....but remixing won't
> > help much on most Beatles tracks since they didn't have 100+ tracks
> > like they do now, and the kick drum is not going to be on a track by
> > itself.
>
> Nonsense.
>
> Most all the reduction mixes still exist. The engineer who remixed the YS
> movie and album (in dts 5.1) said: "...with some songs, I ended up with a
> fairly full 48-track. The Yellow Submarine Songtrack is just an example of
> how much the catalog can be improved by remixing and cleaning up.

According to "Recording Sessions", the first reduction mix they did
was "Michelle" on Rubber Soul--however that was the only song on the
album to undergo this process. Starting with "Revolver", pretty much
everything they did underwent the reduction mixdown process, up until
they started 8-track recording during the White Album.

Assuming all of the pre-reduction tracks still exist, this would
suggest that all albums from Revolver to Abbey Road would lend
themselves rather easily to 5.1 mixing. Prior to that, all but the
first two albums were recorded on 4-track. The real question with
those is if all four tracks were filled with discreet audio. How much
trouble was taken to separate the drums from the guitars, for example?
And when did they start adding vocals separately? It seems to have
started in earnest with the "Help" album.

So the second half of their catalog is no problem, at least in terms
of track separation. The first half is more problematic, though the
5.1 mixes on the "Help" DVD are pretty good, in my opinion.

modern

Sep 8, 2008, 1:51:10 PM9/8/08
bawimeko wrote:
> "Beatles remaster are finally happening
> Yes, it´s definitely going to happen. Apple Corps will make a statement
> sometime during the next few weeks. Apparently, the delay this time has
> been down to the fact that the new CEO at Apple, Jeff Jones, wasn´t
> happy with the way the remasters sounded and was packaged, and had them
> all redone. The remastered "White Album" is due out in November and the
> other UK editions of the Beatles-catalogue are to follow. According to
> my source, who´s got friends working at Apple, most albums will be
> released as double CD´s with mono and stereo mixes (on separate discs)
> and a Deluxe edition with 5.1 as additional option. All will have lavish
> packaging. A splendid 2008/2009 is guaranteed for all !!!"

I'm assuming 5.1 means SACD? Would prefer a range of options with it,
such as DTS.
Any remixing involved? I hope they use the original mixes.
The remastering process can be very pronounced nowadays.

modern

Sep 8, 2008, 1:52:56 PM9/8/08
Jeff wrote:

> On Sep 5, 6:07 pm, bawimeko <bawim...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> "Beatles remaster are finally happening
>> Yes, it愀 definitely going to happen. Apple Corps will make a statement

>> sometime during the next few weeks. Apparently, the delay this time has
>> been down to the fact that the new CEO at Apple, Jeff Jones, wasn愒

>> happy with the way the remasters sounded and was packaged, and had them
>> all redone. The remastered "White Album" is due out in November and the
>> other UK editions of the Beatles-catalogue are to follow. According to
>> my source, who愀 got friends working at Apple, most albums will be
>> released as double CD愀 with mono and stereo mixes (on separate discs)

>> and a Deluxe edition with 5.1 as additional option. All will have lavish
>> packaging. A splendid 2008/2009 is guaranteed for all !!!"
>>
>> Ik know you're all very busy covering all the election-candidates, but
>> this is something of interest to Beatle-fans, I thought....
>
> Why would they start with the white album? And..remastered isn't good
> enough. I want the albums to be remixed as well. Ringo's drumming
> continues to be in the
> background. I want to hear the kick drum. Sounds like another rumor to
> me.

Be careful what you wish for. I don't want some hack reinterpreting 60s
music. The remastering process can make quite a difference nowadays
without remixing. I recommend listening to the new Remains CD.

modern

Sep 8, 2008, 1:54:23 PM9/8/08
RichL wrote:

> t...@aerovons.com wrote:
>> I want to hear the kick drum. Sounds like another rumor to
>>> me.
>> Remastering can do a bit to bring that stuff out....but remixing won't
>> help much on most Beatles tracks since they didn't have 100+ tracks
>> like they do now, and the kick drum is not going to be on a track by
>> itself.
>>
>> TH
>
> Ah, but you could still play EQ tricks to bring out the kick! There's
> not much else going on in that low register.

Increase that and smother something else. Remixing is a touchy
business. I don't agree that the drums should be made more prominent.
They make a straight forward sound and overwhelm the musical detail. It
just pleases people who like thump.

modern

Sep 8, 2008, 1:55:57 PM9/8/08

The results are variable. Some songs don't work. Some sound a bit
better to me. There is a danger in attempting to re-interpret 60s
music. You can't pretend it is something other than what it is.

Jeff

Sep 8, 2008, 3:44:51 PM9/8/08
On Sep 8, 12:52 pm, modern <s...@location.org> wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
> > On Sep 5, 6:07 pm, bawimeko <bawim...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >>   "Beatles remaster are finally happening
> >> Yes, it´s definitely going to happen. Apple Corps will make a statement

> >> sometime during the next few weeks. Apparently, the delay this time has
> >> been down to the fact that the new CEO at Apple, Jeff Jones, wasn´t

> >> happy with the way the remasters sounded and was packaged, and had them
> >> all redone. The remastered "White Album" is due out in November and the
> >> other UK editions of the Beatles-catalogue are to follow. According to
> >> my source, who´s got friends working at Apple, most albums will be
> >> released as double CD´s with mono and stereo mixes (on separate discs)

> >> and a Deluxe edition with 5.1 as additional option. All will have lavish
> >> packaging. A splendid 2008/2009 is guaranteed for all !!!"
>
> >> Ik know you're all very busy covering all the election-candidates, but
> >> this is something of interest to Beatle-fans, I thought....
>
> > Why would they start with the white album? And..remastered isn't good
> > enough. I want the albums to be remixed as well. Ringo's drumming
> > continues to be in the
> > background. I want to hear the kick drum. Sounds like another rumor to
> > me.
>
> Be careful what you wish for.  I don't want some hack reinterpreting 60s
> music.

The originals will always exist..in our life time.

 The remastering process can make quite a difference nowadays
> without remixing.  I recommend listening to the new Remains CD.

Thanks.

JohnBL

Sep 8, 2008, 5:10:04 PM9/8/08
What nobody's mentioned so far is the proposed packaging of the discs.
Two-disc sets, one stereo and one mono? Through SGT. PEPPER you could
fit both mixes on the same disc, in the manner of the PET SOUNDS CD.

But why do that when you can issue a double set and jack up the price
another ten bucks, eh?

John L

Nil

Sep 8, 2008, 5:28:19 PM9/8/08
On 08 Sep 2008, Jeff <yourimag...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> The originals will always exist..in our life time.

Not necessarily. You would probably find used copies of the old issues
for many years, but sometimes they old ones are deleted from the
catalog in favor of the new ones. An example is the recent spate of
Doors remixes. Some of them are terrible, and yet they have now
replaced the old mixes as the "official" ones. Ditto for several of The
Who's album, except that the remixes are quite good.

Eric B.

Sep 8, 2008, 6:51:53 PM9/8/08
"ps3921126" <ps39...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I agree completely.

Honestly, the first few albums I could live without. Just my opinion
obviously. They were recorded quickly when everyone thought the Beatles were
gonna be a flash in the pan. Help! sounds awesome, and I wouldn't be a bit
surprised if they could do similar magic with AHDN.

Eric B.

Eric B.

Sep 8, 2008, 7:03:17 PM9/8/08
"Jeff" <yourimag...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

On Sep 8, 12:52 pm, modern <s...@location.org> wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
> > On Sep 5, 6:07 pm, bawimeko <bawim...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >> "Beatles remaster are finally happening
> >> Yes, it愀 definitely going to happen. Apple Corps will make a statement

> >> sometime during the next few weeks. Apparently, the delay this time has
> >> been down to the fact that the new CEO at Apple, Jeff Jones, wasn愒

> >> happy with the way the remasters sounded and was packaged, and had them
> >> all redone. The remastered "White Album" is due out in November and the
> >> other UK editions of the Beatles-catalogue are to follow. According to
> >> my source, who愀 got friends working at Apple, most albums will be
> >> released as double CD愀 with mono and stereo mixes (on separate discs)

> >> and a Deluxe edition with 5.1 as additional option. All will have
> >> lavish
> >> packaging. A splendid 2008/2009 is guaranteed for all !!!"
>
> >> Ik know you're all very busy covering all the election-candidates, but
> >> this is something of interest to Beatle-fans, I thought....
>
> > Why would they start with the white album? And..remastered isn't good
> > enough. I want the albums to be remixed as well. Ringo's drumming
> > continues to be in the
> > background. I want to hear the kick drum. Sounds like another rumor to
> > me.
>
> Be careful what you wish for. I don't want some hack reinterpreting 60s
> music.

>The originals will always exist..in our life time.

I agree.

And if people don't like the new mixes they can always get the original
mixes. As someone else mentioned, the "Across the Universe" movie likely won
the fabs a lot of new fans. I doubt these new generations of fans will be
purists to the old mixes. Remixes are inevitable. Love was just the
beginning.

Eric B.

Jeff

Sep 8, 2008, 7:08:18 PM9/8/08
On Sep 8, 4:28 pm, Nil <rednoise+n...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 08 Sep 2008, Jeff <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> rec.music.beatles:
>
> > The originals will always exist..in our life time.
>
> Not necessarily. You would probably find used copies of the old issues
> for many years, but sometimes they old ones are deleted from the
> catalog in favor of the new ones.

True, Nil, but as I said..in our lifetime.

An example is the recent spate of
> Doors remixes. Some of them are terrible, and yet they have now
> replaced the old mixes as the "official" ones.

Sure, but the Doors popularity isn't even close to the Beatles.

Ditto for several of The
> Who's album, except that the remixes are quite good.

I'll have to give the Doors remixes a listen and the Who's music too.
I never cared for either band much.

Nil

Sep 8, 2008, 8:09:41 PM9/8/08
On 08 Sep 2008, Jeff <yourimag...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> Sure, but the Doors popularity isn't even close to the Beatles.

They were plenty popular and continue to be. But I don't think that's
at all relevant to the point.

> I'll have to give the Doors remixes a listen and the Who's music
> too. I never cared for either band much.

Neither is that relevant, you're welcome to your taste. Point being
that very often an old recording gets a new remix and/or remaster, and
the old version goes permanently out of print. Often it's for the
better - technology has improved - but sometimes it's not.

Remixing an old recording years later is a dangerous thing. You can
never recapture the mood from the day of the original mix, and with the
intervening years' change in style and taste a remix can easily drain
the record of its original charm. That said, I'm all for a careful
remastering of the entire Beatles catalog. It was thoughtlessly done
the first time around. And I'd love to hear major remixing of
everything that's appropriate for that treatment... but I wouldn't want
any remix to become the "official" version to supersede the original.
Even though lots of the mixes of The Beatles records are primitive and
full of anomalies and mistakes, they are loaded with charm. I wants my
charm.

modern

Sep 8, 2008, 10:48:12 PM9/8/08
They can make new mixes and remaster the original mixes both.
I don't want lessons in revisionism from some faceless individual who
remixes it.

Eric B.

Sep 9, 2008, 8:19:06 AM9/9/08
"modern" <se...@location.org> wrote in message news:ga4o5h$6u3$2...@aioe.org...

> Eric B. wrote:
>> "Jeff" <yourimag...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

>>> statement
>>> has

>>> them
>>> the

Why not? The "faceless individual" may be a musical genius that breathes new
life into already fantastic music. I would always opt for having more than
one choice, let the mixes speak for themselves.

Eric B.

Eric B.

Sep 9, 2008, 8:20:44 AM9/9/08
"Jeff" <yourimag...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

I heard a remixed version of "Love Street" that I really despise.

Eric B.

Jales

Sep 9, 2008, 9:08:52 AM9/9/08
All I ask is the remixing to be done with the approval of Paul and
Ringo, or at least while one of them is still alive!! That would be
enough for me to accept the new cds...

Nil

Sep 9, 2008, 11:12:21 AM9/9/08
On 09 Sep 2008, "Eric B." <big...@sesamestreet.com> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> I heard a remixed version of "Love Street" that I really despise.

I haven't heard that one, but one that really turns my stomach is the
remix of "Road House Blues" where they mix in a track of Morrison's
off-key, amateurish harmonica playing. Completely unnecessary, and it
ruins the song.

Mike Espinoza

Sep 9, 2008, 6:08:00 PM9/9/08

They did that with the Red album, why not Sgt. Pepper?

In truth, the first eight albums and Magical Mystery Tour all could
fit the mono and stereo mixes onto single CDs, but, apparently, this
is not what has been planned.

All of this talk of remixing vs. not remixing is very amusing since
nobody really knows what the configurations are.

It is possible that the original mono and stereo mixes will be
included, as well as, new remixes. I mean, if you have a two-disc
set, there is a lot of room for remixes (except on the White album).

Also, it will be interesing to see what new singles/EP compilations
they will come up with. Releasing a two-CD album that will fit on one
CD is one thing, but releasing a 22-disc box set of music that will
fit on 2-discs is kind of stupid. Yeah, yeah, I know, packaging,
whatever. I want the mono mixes, but not THAT badly.
--
Mike E.

Lookingglass

Sep 9, 2008, 10:31:45 PM9/9/08

"bawimeko" <bawi...@xs4all.nl> wrote

> "Beatles remaster are finally happening

> Yes, it愀 definitely going to happen. Apple Corps will make a statement

> sometime during the next few weeks. Apparently, the delay this time has

> been down to the fact that the new CEO at Apple, Jeff Jones, wasn愒 happy

> with the way the remasters sounded and was packaged, and had them all
> redone. The remastered "White Album" is due out in November and the other
> UK editions of the Beatles-catalogue are to follow. According to my

> source, who愀 got friends working at Apple, most albums will be released
> as double CD愀 with mono and stereo mixes (on separate discs) and a Deluxe

> edition with 5.1 as additional option. All will have lavish packaging. A
> splendid 2008/2009 is guaranteed for all !!!"
>
> Ik know you're all very busy covering all the election-candidates, but
> this is something of interest to Beatle-fans, I thought....

Has there been any confirmation of this *rumor*...?

www.Shemakhan.com

JohnB

Sep 10, 2008, 4:15:02 AM9/10/08
On 10 Sep, 03:31, "Lookingglass" <Shemak...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "bawimeko" <bawim...@xs4all.nl> wrote

> > "Beatles remaster are finally happening
> > Yes, it´s definitely going to happen. Apple Corps will make a statement

> > sometime during the next few weeks. Apparently, the delay this time has
> > been down to the fact that the new CEO at Apple, Jeff Jones, wasn´t happy

> > with the way the remasters sounded and was packaged, and had them all
> > redone. The remastered "White Album" is due out in November and the other
> > UK editions of the Beatles-catalogue are to follow. According to my
> > source, who´s got friends working at Apple, most albums will be released
> > as double CD´s with mono and stereo mixes (on separate discs) and a Deluxe

> > edition with 5.1 as additional option. All will have lavish packaging. A
> > splendid 2008/2009 is guaranteed for all !!!"
>
> > Ik know you're all very busy covering all the election-candidates, but
> > this is something of interest to Beatle-fans, I thought....
>
> Has there been any confirmation of this *rumor*...?
>
> www.Shemakhan.com

There is an article in the new Mojo magazine, alongside their piece on
disc two of the White Album. Mojo were invited to a presentation where
ten remastered tracks from the White Album were played, alongside the
original CD release for comparison. According to them, the results are
impressive. The EMI people there said that they won't be rushed out
for Christmas because they want to get the "packaging" right, so
expect them in 2009.

The magazine's cover CD contains some strange re-interpretations of
the songs from disc two, most of which will be swiftly consigned to
history, but there's a decent version of Helter Skelter, a couple of
nice piano jazz takes on Revolution Nos 1 & 9 (a bonus point to anyone
who can explain how the version of #9 in any way resembles the
original), but the main thing to me is that it demonstrates how good
the originals were, particularly vocally. For all the imagination and
studio trickery, it's rare to hear a cover of a Beatles tune where the
vocals are anywhere near as good as they originals.

Lookingglass

Sep 10, 2008, 12:46:10 PM9/10/08

"JohnB" <john...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote

There is an article in the new Mojo magazine, alongside their piece on
disc two of the White Album. Mojo were invited to a presentation where
ten remastered tracks from the White Album were played, alongside the
original CD release for comparison. According to them, the results are
impressive. The EMI people there said that they won't be rushed out
for Christmas because they want to get the "packaging" right, so
expect them in 2009.

********************

Thank you. It will be good to hear the old songs in updated audio
technology...particularly if they adhere to the *spirit* of the original
mixes. A mono SGT PEPPER would be revelatory...as would all the Beatles'
oeuvre.

www.Shemakhan.com

Eric B.

Sep 10, 2008, 1:20:46 PM9/10/08
"Lookingglass" <Shem...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Just jam a pointy stick in one of your ears and all your music will
magically turn into mono mixes.

Eric B.

Lookingglass

Sep 10, 2008, 1:34:27 PM9/10/08

"Eric B." <big...@sesamestreet.com> wrote

> Just jam a pointy stick in one of your ears and all your music will
> magically turn into mono mixes.
>
> Eric B.

Gee...wouldn't that hurt?

www.Shemakhan.com

Eric B.

Sep 10, 2008, 5:30:19 PM9/10/08
"Lookingglass" <Shem...@comcast.net> wrote in message

You need to suffer for your art.

Or make others suffer for it, like Yoko :D

Eric B.

Brian Fried

Sep 10, 2008, 11:38:52 PM9/10/08
On Sep 9, 6:08 pm, Mike Espinoza <espin...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Also, it will be interesing to see what new singles/EP compilations
> they will come up with.  Releasing a two-CD album that will fit on one
> CD is one thing, but releasing a 22-disc box set of music that will
> fit on 2-discs is kind of stupid.  Yeah, yeah, I know, packaging,
> whatever.  I want the mono mixes, but not THAT badly.

Beach Boys' Capitol singles set.
Reproduces each single in the period, stereo and mono mixes on each.
Includes versions not on CD yet.
I expect EMI to do the same.

modern

Sep 11, 2008, 10:33:39 AM9/11/08

Get a life.

Eric B.

Sep 11, 2008, 1:00:44 PM9/11/08
"modern" <se...@location.org> wrote in message news:gaba83$8a4$2...@aioe.org...

> Eric B. wrote:
>> "modern" <se...@location.org> wrote in message

I have a life. I work on the internet with the morally and mentally
challenged.

Eric B.

Sean Carroll

Sep 12, 2008, 10:32:19 PM9/12/08
"Lookingglass" <Shem...@comcast.net> wrote
> "Eric B." <big...@sesamestreet.com> wrote

>> Just jam a pointy stick in one of your ears and all your music will
>> magically turn into mono mixes.

> Gee...wouldn't that hurt?

Not if you drink a whole bottle of tequila before you do it.

--
--Sean
http://spclsd223.livejournal.com

House: He did, however get hit by a bullet. Just mentioning.

Cameron: He was shot?

House: No, somebody threw it at him.

bawimeko

Sep 13, 2008, 2:25:37 AM9/13/08
JohnB schreef:

In another article in Mojo, a reporter is invited by EMI to listen to
some newly remastered tracks from the White Album. He's astonished by
the quality of the mix. So the remasters are ready...it's now in the
hands of the marketing-people :(.