More Badfinger stuff (was Re: Badfinger video

1 view

Tom Huff

Jun 4, 1993, 2:03:00 AM6/4/93
-> > Joey's solo work ... let's see, there _ is_ a new one (last
-> year). Haven't > heard it. If it's anything like his prime Badfinger
-> work ("I'd Die Babe", > "Give It Up"), it would be a treat! I think
-> I held back because I really > didn't get into that sort of
-> California sound on "Say No More". Opinions, > anyone?
-> >

Z,
I thought Tom Evans songs on "Say No More" were excellent, and
should have been hits, and both Tom & Joeys contributions on "Airwaves"
were very good. Get the feeling that the record companies were simply
not interested in a Badfinger w/out Pete Ham?

/ Tom /

Duncan W. Mills

Jun 6, 1993, 12:43:35 PM6/6/93

I'll have to go back and listen to *Say No More*, since you and Kari
have expressd enthusiasm for portions of it. When I first listened
to it (years ago) I was probably disappointed because it was different
from the Apple/Warner stuff.

Your info on Mike (previous post) was interesting. I heard that Joey had
also migrated more or less permanently to the US, and that he'd done
various odd nonmusical things like installing carpets. I guess he HAD to,
with all the royalties from BF albums tied up in litigation. I hear
that's all been rectified; he surely _deserves_ a hefty check!

Have you heard *The Pilgrim*? I'm tempted to try it.

-Duncan

Jim Vegeais

Jun 7, 1993, 11:47:06 AM6/7/93
In article <C87L4...@utdallas.edu>, mi...@utdallas.edu (Duncan W. Mills) writes:

> Your info on Mike (previous post) was interesting. I heard that Joey had
> also migrated more or less permanently to the US, and that he'd done
> various odd nonmusical things like installing carpets. I guess he HAD to,
> with all the royalties from BF albums tied up in litigation. I hear
> that's all been rectified; he surely _deserves_ a hefty check!
>
> Have you heard *The Pilgrim*? I'm tempted to try it.
>
> -Duncan

Joey has been living for some time in Minneapolis (where his wife, Kathy, is
from).

I've got The Pilgrim. I think it lacks excitement or punch or something.
My wife hates it, but I think she got put off by the first song on the CD,
"You Make Me Sick".

z_mcw...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu

Jun 7, 1993, 2:32:57 PM6/7/93

In article <24.784.275...@pcohio.com>, tom....@pcohio.com (Tom Huff) writes:

thanks, tom, for that info, and the stuff about Mike!

my opinion about *SNM* and *Airwaves* failures is that the public wasn't
aware due to the lack of PR... maybe the labels weren't interested in
promoting a Phoenix band? i loved the albums! the only ones i don't have
are the WB lps, but the *Shine On* cd is great!

i think i'll listen to them this afternoon!!! (SNM/AW)

by'all!

kari

Tom Huff

Jun 8, 1993, 1:50:00 AM6/8/93
-> Your info on Mike (previous post) was interesting. I heard that Joey
-> had also migrated more or less permanently to the US, and that he'd
-> done various odd nonmusical things like installing carpets. I guess
-> he HAD to, with all the royalties from BF albums tied up in
-> litigation. I hear that's all been rectified; he surely _deserves_ a
-> hefty check!
-> Have you heard *The Pilgrim*? I'm tempted to try it.

Duncan,
Have you heard anything from Joey's band "Natural Gas" which
included Humble Pie drummer Jerry Shirley? They recorded a very good
album in the mid-late 1970's. I guess nothing much happend for them,
bad timing perhaps.... disco was really going full steam then.

The Pilgrim is really pretty good, though lacking any breakthrough
singles. Its different from a lot of JM's rock-n-roll style songs.
I heard it recieved very good reviews. By the way, I think Joey
lives in Minneapolis.

/ Tom /

Tom Huff

Jun 8, 1993, 1:43:00 AM6/8/93
-> my opinion about *SNM* and *Airwaves* failures is that the public
-> wasn't aware due to the lack of PR... maybe the labels weren't
-> interested in promoting a Phoenix band? i loved the albums! the
-> only ones i don't have are the WB lps, but the *Shine On* cd is
-> great!

Kari,
The WB albums are available on CD as imports from Japan. The "Wish
You Were Here" album is excellent. Wish WB would release release the
last (and shelved) Badfinger album "Head First".

/ Tom /

Duncan W. Mills

Jun 8, 1993, 11:38:57 AM6/8/93
In article <24.863.275...@pcohio.com>, tom....@pcohio.com (Tom Huff) writes:|>
|> Kari,
|> The WB albums are available on CD as imports from Japan. The "Wish
|> You Were Here" album is excellent. Wish WB would release release the
|> last (and shelved) Badfinger album "Head First".
|>
|> / Tom /

Tom,

You probably know this, but some of that album can be found on
the Rhino *Best of ... * release. This is just speculation, but
I wonder if there are still legal entanglements regarding
US distribution of *Wish .... *?

-Duncan

Duncan W. Mills

Jun 8, 1993, 11:44:56 AM6/8/93

Tom,

Good stuff, Natural Gas. I think the label (Private Stock) went
bankrupt, so who knows where the tapes are now. Thanks for the tip
on The Pilgrim, there's one lurking at my local store, and I think
I should get it off their hands. Is it my imagination, or did
the Ryko Live CD give a Minneapolis address for Badfinger? Perhaps
we could write to Joey directly. I bet he'd get a kick out of all
these postings.

-Duncan

Roger Donahue

Jun 8, 1993, 12:20:45 PM6/8/93
I have a Joey Molland album from 1983 or so called "After The Pearl". Can
anyone who has that, and "The Pilgrim" comment on whether they're equally good
or is one a lot better than the other?

Also, I seem to remember Joey and possibly Tom being involved in a band called
The Dodgers. I found an LP once, but neither of them was on it. Was anything
ever released by The Dodgers while Joey and/or Tom were in the band?

Duncan W. Mills

Jun 8, 1993, 3:18:03 PM6/8/93

Roger,

I just bought *The Pilgrim*, I'm listening to it now, and I am quite
pleased so far. It's beautifully recorded and there is a nice
mix of hard-edge and acoustic sound. Joey's voice has that world-
weary charm so noticeable on "Gotta Get Out of Here" on *Wish You
Were Here*. Your post was the first one to mention *After The Pearl*
and I'm intrigued; wish I could make the comparison for you.

My own material indicates that Tom Evans formed a band called "The
Doogers" with Bob Jackson. The limited stuff I've heard is quite fine.
Some of their songs are credited to a John Wilson, but I don't know if he
was a bandmate. My info is so sketchy because it's lifted from
one of those "rare" releases. Anyways, there was no mention of Joey in
connection with The Doogers.

-Duncan

Tom Huff

Jun 9, 1993, 1:26:00 AM6/9/93
-> Good stuff, Natural Gas. I think the label (Private Stock) went
-> bankrupt, so who knows where the tapes are now. Thanks for the tip
-> on The Pilgrim, there's one lurking at my local store, and I think
-> I should get it off their hands. Is it my imagination, or did
-> the Ryko Live CD give a Minneapolis address for Badfinger? Perhaps
-> we could write to Joey directly. I bet he'd get a kick out of all
-> these postings.

Duncan,
Someone on Prodigy said they sent a letter to that address and
it was answered by Joey's wife Kathy. By the way, I refered the BF fans
on Prodigy to this Network, since many are leaving due to a obnoxious
price increase.

Jerry Shirley is now a local DJ here in Cleveland. Occasionally he
mentions his involvement with Badfinger, playing drums after Mike
grew tired f touring. He met his current wife, when Badfinger passed
through town, and after the tour, she mailed him a bus ticket here, and
they were later married.
/ Tom /

/ Tom /

Tom Huff

Jun 9, 1993, 1:32:00 AM6/9/93
-> Also, I seem to remember Joey and possibly Tom being involved in a
-> band called The Dodgers. I found an LP once, but neither of them was
-> on it. Was anything ever released by The Dodgers while Joey and/or
-> Tom were in the band?

Roger,
There is a bootleg CD called "Badfinger Rarities II" that
contains demo's by the Dodgers that included Tom Evans. They apparently
re-recorded the songs for the Dodgers album w/out Tom.

/ Tom /

Duncan W. Mills

Jun 9, 1993, 11:18:47 AM6/9/93
In article <24.909.275...@pcohio.com>, tom....@pcohio.com (Tom Huff) writes:

|> Duncan,
|> Someone on Prodigy said they sent a letter to that address and
|> it was answered by Joey's wife Kathy. By the way, I refered the BF fans
|> on Prodigy to this Network, since many are leaving due to a obnoxious
|> price increase.
|>
|> Jerry Shirley is now a local DJ here in Cleveland. Occasionally he
|> mentions his involvement with Badfinger, playing drums after Mike
|> grew tired f touring. He met his current wife, when Badfinger passed
|> through town, and after the tour, she mailed him a bus ticket here, and
|> they were later married.
|> / Tom /

Tom,

I join you in welcoming these other folks to the net. I'll try
this address. For one thing, I'd bet Joey is busy with the
remastering of *Ass*. I'm not sure what there is in terms of
outtakes or potential bonus cuts. I guess that album is a hybrid
of old TR stuff left over from *Straight Up* and newer material.

I bought *The Pilgrim* yesterday and was quite pleased overall.
"All the Way", which closed the album, was very impressive.

An amusing detail: my Badfinger Rarities CD lists The Dodgers as
The Doogers. All the while I'd accepted this ... what's that TV
show ... Doogie Hawser. I trust Roger wasn't thrown off by my
ignorance.

-Duncan

z_mcw...@ccsvax.sfasu.edu

Jun 9, 1993, 9:23:01 PM6/9/93

say, tom,

my only problem with that is that where i live there are virtually NO import
type connections, and i can't afford Goldmine or the drive to Bill's in
Dallas/Plano or Infinite Records in Houston ( i live in little ol'
Nacogdoches [or naca-nowhere, nasty-dog-cheese, naked-roaches]), Texas.
i have seen the WB lps at Bill's, but couldn't afford them: and they were
CHEAP, say, $15 each? 4 years ago.

if only i had some dinero....

y'know, the student life.

kari

Jim Vegeais

Jun 9, 1993, 4:23:18 PM6/9/93
In article <C8BHM...@utdallas.edu>, mi...@utdallas.edu (Duncan W. Mills) writes:

> My own material indicates that Tom Evans formed a band called "The
> Doogers" with Bob Jackson. The limited stuff I've heard is quite fine.
> Some of their songs are credited to a John Wilson, but I don't know if he
> was a bandmate. My info is so sketchy because it's lifted from
> one of those "rare" releases. Anyways, there was no mention of Joey in
> connection with The Doogers.
>
> -Duncan

John Wilson was in The Dodgers. Joey wasn't. At that time, Joey was in
Natural Gas, a band with him, Mark Clarke, Jerry Shirley, and Dave
Kaffinetti (at first) and Pete Woods (later).