Rape of 12 year old in Afganistan

Crisstti

Jul 27, 2008, 4:28:55 PM7/27/08
http://www.rawa.org/temp/runews/2008/07/22/warlords-gang-rape-12-year-old-girl-her-family-threatens-to-commit-mass-suicide-if-justice-is-not-done.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/revolutionary-association-of-the-women-of-afghanistan

A 12-year old schoolgirl was gang-raped by five gunmen in Sarpul
province in Northern Afghanistan.

The girl and her family asked Hamid Karzai to prosecute the rapists
and take their case seriously. They threatened that if they are not
provided justice, the whole family will commit mass suicide to get rid
of such life. They say, the local authorities keep silence on such
cases and did not act to arrest those responsible.

While crying, the rape victim told journalists that she was raped in a
village called Baghabi in Sarpul province. She says five gunmen poured
into their house in mid-night and after beating and abusing the family
members, gang-raped her.

Ali Khan, uncle of the girl told Ariana TV that he has reported the
case to the police and visited the police chief a number of times to
ask for justice, but they do not pay attention to the issue and even
abused and threatened him to be silent otherwise he will be jailed. He
accuses the police chief to have links with the gunmen responsible for
such crimes. But General Abdul Khaliq Samimi, police chief says they
have arrested three people connected to the issue.

On February 18, 2008 a fourteen-year old girl named Bashira was gang-
raped by three men in the same province. One of the rapists is
Najibullah, the son of Haji Payinda, a member of parliament from Sar-e-
Pul.

Video ClipSayed Noorullah, father of Bashira told Tolo TV on July 19,
2008 that the case against the rapist has not been followed property
by the court, because the rapist is son of a member of parliament and
they bribed the Forensic Medical Investigation department to show the
22-year-old rapist as being less than 18 to escape the charges based
on law.

Sayed Noorullah threatened that if the rapists are not punished, he
will become “a dangerous suicide bomber” and take revenge himself.

Gang-rape and sexual abuse of young girls in the Northern provinces of
Afghanistan by local warlords is very common but only few cases are
reported by media, because it is usually risky for the journalists who
report such issues.

BLACKPOOLJIMMY

Jul 27, 2008, 4:39:46 PM7/27/08
On Jul 27, 4:28 pm, Crisstti <crissttigalda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.rawa.org/temp/runews/2008/07/22/warlords-gang-rape-12-year...
>
> http://www.answers.com/topic/revolutionary-association-of-the-women-o...

Horrible story. Have you caught the show where all these pedophiles
show up looking for the goods. The sting operation doesn't stop the
creeps from showing up.
We probably have our own coverups regarding the issue.

BLACKPOOLJIMMY

Jul 27, 2008, 4:41:42 PM7/27/08
> We probably have our own coverups regarding the issue.- Hide quoted text -

Let's not forget the teacher student epidemic in our wonderful schools.

Crisstti

Jul 27, 2008, 5:05:32 PM7/27/08
On Jul 27, 4:39 pm, BLACKPOOLJIMMY <Blackpoolji...@aol.com> wrote:
> We probably have our own coverups regarding the issue.- Hide quoted text -

No, what show?.

BLACKPOOLJIMMY

Jul 27, 2008, 5:10:35 PM7/27/08
> No, what show?.- Hide quoted text -

To Catch A Predator, I believe..Chris Hanson hosts

Crisstti

Jul 27, 2008, 7:21:23 PM7/27/08
> To Catch A Predator, I believe..Chris Hanson hosts- Hide quoted text -

I don't think is here in Chile.

Chippa...@aol.com

Jul 27, 2008, 7:30:28 PM7/27/08
> I don't think is here in Chile.- Hide quoted text -

It's a show setting up creeps using a cop as an underage girl posing
on the internet....trapping said creeps on camera visiting the home of
the "underage girl".

They leave after being busted and are arrested outside the home.

Pervert after pervert shows up.

Internet good/bad

fatt...@yahoo.com

Jul 27, 2008, 11:32:32 PM7/27/08

This story is very depressing.

I have read of a number of incidents in Muslim countries where the
female victim is blamed for the attack and the rapist is not
prosecuted at all or given a light sentence. In the Muslim world, if
a girl or woman loses her virginity before marriage, she is often
scorned, ridiculed, and in some cases, murdered. Often her family is
also scorned. Because of societal pressures, the victim becomes a
great burden to her family.

Just to give one example, it was reported in the NY Times a few years
ago that two teen Palestinian brothers raped their teenage sister in
the West Bank. This caused the family great shame.

The family was ostracised by neighbors. In order to resolve the
"problem" the mother killed her teenage daughter by smothering her one
night while she slept. One of the younger brothers commented that he
was now happy that his sister was dead because the family would be
treated better.

fatt...@yahoo.com

Jul 27, 2008, 11:33:36 PM7/27/08

I assume you mean that show on MSNBC.

I had read they planned on discontinuing that show, but I thought it
was a great idea.

fatt...@yahoo.com

Jul 27, 2008, 11:35:04 PM7/27/08
On Jul 27, 6:30 pm, "Blackpoolji...@aol.com" <Chippandf...@aol.com>
wrote:
> Internet good/bad- Hide quoted text -

I've seen that show just a few times because the subject upsets me.
It is shocking how many creeps show up. What I find so concerning is
that I believe for every one that is caught, there must be 100 that
are not caught.

UsurperTom

Jul 28, 2008, 12:13:52 AM7/28/08
On Jul 27, 11:32�pm, fattuc...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Just to give one example

There's a Fox News Channel special about "honor killings" by Muslim
immigrants in this country.

fatt...@yahoo.com

Jul 28, 2008, 4:23:14 AM7/28/08
On Jul 27, 11:13 pm, UsurperTom <Usurper...@aol.com> wrote:

I might be interested in seeing that. Do you know if it is scheduled
to be shown soon?

Crisstti

Jul 28, 2008, 1:46:49 PM7/28/08
On Jul 27, 11:32 pm, fattuc...@yahoo.com wrote:

> This story is very depressing.
>
> I have read of a number of incidents in Muslim countries where the
> female victim is blamed for the attack and the rapist is not
> prosecuted at all or given a light sentence.  In the Muslim world, if
> a girl or woman loses her virginity before marriage, she is often
> scorned, ridiculed, and in some cases, murdered.  Often her family is
> also scorned.  Because of societal pressures, the victim becomes a
> great burden to her family.
>
> Just to give one example, it was reported in the NY Times a few years
> ago that two teen Palestinian brothers raped their teenage sister in
> the West Bank.  This caused the family great shame.
>
> The family was ostracised by neighbors.  In order to resolve the
> "problem" the mother killed her teenage daughter by smothering her one
> night while she slept.  One of the younger brothers commented that he
> was now happy that his sister was dead because the family would be

> treated better.- Hide quoted text -

That is true in some Muslim countries. It depends on how
fundamentalist the governments are. I think the worst ones are Saudi
Arabia (in the case that's the name in English... they're supported by
the US, I think...) and Iran... and some others. I think the legal
issue there is that a female witness is not considered reliable, and,
at least in some country, four male witnesses are necessary. Apart
from how sexist that is, is completely absurd, since in a rape case
the only male witnesses are probably going to be the rapists.

In this case, though, the family members are witnesses.

Actually, the rape - and gang rape - of women in war scenarios is very
common, and hardly ever prosecuted, and if prosecuted, mild sentences
are given. Of course, that doesn't mean that it should go on being
like that. This kind of thing should be a scandal in the US - I guess
the perpetrators are from the US - but I don't think the news are in
the mainstream media.

fatt...@yahoo.com

Jul 28, 2008, 3:54:35 PM7/28/08
> are given. �

Your point about war is a good one. However, was this rape part of a
war? I know there is a war in Afghanistan, but it does not see this
rape had anything to do with that.

Of course, that doesn't mean that it should go on being
> like that. �This kind of thing should be a scandal in the US - I guess
> the perpetrators are from the US - but I don't think the news are in

> the mainstream media.-

I don't see anything in the article which suggests that the attackers
are from the US.-

Crisstti

Jul 28, 2008, 5:53:34 PM7/28/08
> are from the US.-- Hide quoted text -

Well, the title of the article is "Warlords gang-rape 12-year-old
girl, her family threatens to commit mass suicide if justice is not
done". The expression "warlord" seems a little confusing to me. But
it is certainly related to war... I changed the title of the article
to post it here beacause it sounded confusing to me. Maybe to
English- speaking people it doesn't.
I guess maybe it refers to wokers of this private enterprises... there
was one involved in a lot of incidents, what was the name?,
Darkwater...?.

RichL

Jul 28, 2008, 6:03:46 PM7/28/08
Crisstti <crisstti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, the title of the article is "Warlords gang-rape 12-year-old
> girl, her family threatens to commit mass suicide if justice is not
> done". The expression "warlord" seems a little confusing to me. But
> it is certainly related to war... I changed the title of the article
> to post it here beacause it sounded confusing to me. Maybe to
> English- speaking people it doesn't.
> I guess maybe it refers to wokers of this private enterprises... there
> was one involved in a lot of incidents, what was the name?,
> Darkwater...?.

I understand "Warlords" as referring to the Afghan tribal leaders, not
people participating in the war. I can understand how that would be
confusing to someone for whom English isn't a first language!

Crisstti

Jul 28, 2008, 9:32:22 PM7/28/08
On Jul 28, 6:03 pm, "RichL" <rpleav...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Oh, I see. Thank you :).

fatt...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2008, 1:17:55 AM7/29/08
On Jul 28, 4:53�pm, Crisstti <crissttigalda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 3:54�pm, fattuc...@yahoo.com wrote:

> > > That is true in some Muslim countries. ?It depends on how
> > > fundamentalist the governments are. ?I think the worst ones are Saudi

> > > Arabia (in the case that's the name in English... they're supported by
> > > the US, I think...) and Iran... and some others. ?I think the legal

> > > issue there is that a female witness is not considered reliable, and,
> > > at least in some country, four male witnesses are necessary. ?Apart

> > > from how sexist that is, is completely absurd, since in a rape case
> > > the only male witnesses are probably going to be the rapists.
>
> > > In this case, though, the family members are witnesses.
>
> > > Actually, the rape - and gang rape - of women in war scenarios is very
> > > common, and hardly ever prosecuted, and if prosecuted, mild sentences
> > > are given. ?

> > Your point about war is a good one. �However, was this rape part of a
> > war? �I know there is a war in Afghanistan, but it does not see this
> > rape had anything to do with that.
>
> > Of course, that doesn't mean that it should go on being
>
> > > like that. ?This kind of thing should be a scandal in the US - I guess

> > > the perpetrators are from the US - but I don't think the news are in
> > > the mainstream media.-
>
> > I don't see anything in the article which suggests that the attackers
> > are from the US.-- Hide quoted text -

> Well, the title of the article is "Warlords gang-rape 12-year-old
> girl, her family threatens to commit mass suicide if justice is not
> done". �The expression "warlord" seems a little confusing to me. �But
> it is certainly related to war...

If the attackers were "warlords" then I doubt very much they were
Americans. Such a word in my opinion refers to people who are native
to Afghanistan.