Questions About the Beatles' Use of ADT (Artificial Double-Tracking)

Maxwell

Feb 14, 2009, 12:42:14 PM2/14/09
I'm reading some books about the Beatles' recording sessions for
REVOLVER, and I'm finding references to ADT, which apparently stands
for Artificial Double-Tracking.

My understanding is that prior to REVOLVER, any double-tracking of
voices on a song was done in real time, with two separate recordings
of the same vocal.

Can someone explain how ADT works? I'm listening to REVOLVER, but I
can't seem to identify any songs where it sounds like the vocal has
been artificially double-tracked...whatever that sounds like. What
songs was it used on?

Does anyone know who invented ADT? I don't recall reading that any
other rock group ever used it except the Beatles.

Did the Beatles use ADT on LP's after REVOLVER? If so, what songs on
which LP's? Did they use it on any songs prior to REVOLVER?

Is ADT still used today? Or was it long ago rendered obsolete by
newer technology?

So many questions and so little time.

John

Feb 14, 2009, 1:10:37 PM2/14/09
On Feb 14, 11:42 am, Maxwell <bwah...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone explain how ADT works?

Check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_double_tracking

black...@aol.com

Feb 14, 2009, 10:15:52 PM2/14/09
On Feb 14, 12:42 pm, Maxwell <bwah...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm reading some books about the Beatles' recording sessions for
> REVOLVER, and I'm finding references to ADT, which apparently stands
> for Artificial Double-Tracking.
>
> My understanding is that prior to REVOLVER, any double-tracking of
> voices on a song was done in real time, with two separate recordings
> of the same vocal.
>
> Can someone explain how ADT works?

A vocal is recorded onto, let's say, Track 4. In the mixdown process,
that track is split into two copies. One goes (let's say) onto the
left side of the stereo mix. The other goes first to another recorder,
where it is recorded onto a tape. An inch or so later, that recorded
track is played back, now with a slight delay. It is fed back into the
stereo mix and placed (let's say) on the right side.

 I'm listening to REVOLVER, but I
> can't seem to identify any songs where it sounds like the vocal has
> been artificially double-tracked...whatever that sounds like.  What
> songs was it used on?

Dr. Robert is a good example.

> Does anyone know who invented ADT?  I don't recall reading that any
> other rock group ever used it except the Beatles.

The Beatles family claimed that they did, but I think it was just a
technique being played with in those days.

BLACKPOOLJIMMY

Feb 14, 2009, 10:25:53 PM2/14/09
> > So many questions and so little time.- Hide quoted text -

> My understanding is that prior to REVOLVER, any double-tracking of
> voices on a song was done in real time, with two separate recordings
> of the same vocal.

I like the real time vocals...try to duplicate the vocals which gives
me a better ear. Not so confident with my singing and doubling up
gives me a fuller sound, which is also works well for the ego.

Understand that "Because" was a least 12 layered vocals. Machne or
real time?

t...@aerovons.com

Feb 15, 2009, 1:22:54 AM2/15/09

Always remember that the whole idea that ADT is a replacement for
manual double tracking is ridiculous, it's a different sound entirely.
Sounds like you're singing in a bathroom. Compare the ADT Lennon
vocals to a truly double tracked vocal such as "No Reply" and you will
hear the difference immediately. John apparently hated the drudgery of
singing a song twice, and welcomed ADT as a time saver. It did offer a
new sound, but just that. Not a true replacement. An alternative....

TH