George on Giuliano

UsurperTom

Jul 24, 2001, 4:15:21 PM7/24/01
On December 14, 1992, George addressed reporters in Los Angeles shortly after
the Globe agreed to pay George a settlement for libel. A year earlier, the
tabloid published an article titled "Beatle George is a Big Nazi Fan." The
Globe had misinterpreted Geoffrey Giuliano's "Dark Horse," which said that
George collected Nazi memorabilia while pointing out that George hates Hitler.
GG testified on George's behalf during the trial. After the case was
adjudicated, the Globe sued GG for $400,000 and won. The beginning of the
press conference was devoted to Giuliano's books on the Beatles. Here are the
relevant excerpts. All the Q's and A's posted here are continuous, except for
the last one where George rebuts GG's claim that George hated the Beatles.

Q: Have you had the occasion to read any portion of Geoffrey Giuliano's book,
"Dark Horse-The Private Life of George Harrison?"

George: Yeah, I did see it once. I opened it randomly and read about two or
three paragraphs and that was it. I put it away. I don't recall where I saw
it. It might have been in my office, I think.

Q: Have you ever met him?

George: Yeah, I met him briefly. I have no way of recalling what year it was,
but I met him at the home of Legs Larry Smith for possibly thirty minutes. I
visited Mr. Smith and he was in his flat.

Q: At some point, did you become aware Mr. Giuliano was making it his business
to do research, write books and articles about you and the other Beatles?

George: The first I heard about it was when my office told me they had been
(contacted) by Giuliano for some kind of information, or some kind of
acknowledgement. I don't recall exactly what it was, but I know my business
manager spoke to him personally.

Q: At what point did you become aware Giuliano was actually writing books about
you, Paul McCartney and the Beatles as a group?

George: It was when his book on the Beatles was issued.

Q: Have you read any of the other things he has written about the Beatles?

George: No. The same goes for the book on the Beatles. I didn't read the
thing. I thumbed through it and tried to get the gist of the layout and the
photographs. I receive books all the time. People mail them to me
occasionally. I come across (them) somewhere, you know. There (are) many
books written about the various members of the Beatles. I don't make it a
practice to read them.

Q: Have you ever had any discussions with any of the other Beatles, Ringo Starr
or Paul McCartney or John Lennon before he was tragically murdered, concerning
anything Mr. Giuliano wrote about any of you?

George: No, not really. I spoke to Paul McCartney last week when he was in Los
Angeles. And I said to him about these books that are written on us, and I
said, "I hear this fellow Giuliano has written a book about you, too." I said,
"Do you know anything to speak of, about him?" There is a certain trick to the
way Giuliano goes about his work. He acts as if he is kind of authorized, and
these people, not just him, but all these types of people, have a skill of
wheedling their way into places that are going to be some benefit to them in
getting their books written.

Q: What did Paul McCartney say to you when you told him to be careful?

George: He said, "Yeah, I have," he said. you know, "But I don't read any of
that stuff," just what I would expect.

Q: The cover of "Dark Horse" which is, I take it, an unauthorized biography,
has a quote, attributed to you. It says, "Geoffrey Giuliano, that guy knows
more about my life than I do."

George: I made a statement when somebody asked me about Giuliano and his book.

Q: Has anyone told you they have read the book; that is, any friends, relatives
or business associates?

George: No. Anybody who is associated with me wouldn't bring up the subject
because they know my feeling about these kinds of books. I would like to add
about Denny Laine that in connection (with) McCartney, Paul said Giuliano has
been hanging out and romancing Denny Laine, who gave Giuliano a lot of negative
stuff to be put into the book on Paul he was writing.

Q: Have you mentioned Mr. Giuliano to anyone other than Paul?

George: I think there is one other person I had a conversation with, not a very
long one, who works for the Beatle company, Apple. Neil Aspinall the name is,
and I have a feeling I heard some story about Giuliano in connection with him
trying to (make) money out of Yoko Ono. I recall that Yoko tapped his phone
line.

Q: In any event, you do recall that you made the quote (which) is on the cover
(of Dark Horse)?

George: That may not be exact word for word, but something to that effect.

Q: Is it accurate that you hated or resented Beatlemania?

George: No. This is Geoffrey Giuliano's representation of me. It is not me.

END

Mister Charlie

Jul 24, 2001, 4:21:56 PM7/24/01
Thanks for posting this tom.

Since George was never convicted of perjury one can assume this is the truth
(I know, don't assume anything).

The phone tap thing...whazzat?

"UsurperTom" <usurp...@aol.com> wrote in message

Nurktwn

Jul 24, 2001, 4:30:20 PM7/24/01
> George: No. This is Geoffrey Giuliano's representation of me. It is not me.

Olivia Harrison's comments about Giuliano, published in the Henley newspaper, I
believe, also were precious. Can anyone post them for those who may have missed them?

UsurperTom

Jul 24, 2001, 5:02:27 PM7/24/01
Nurktwn wrote:

>Can anyone post them for those who may have missed them?

This is Olivia's letter to the Guardian on October 8, 1992.

The sight of Geoffrey Giuliano's face is enough to make anyone a recluse. My
husband once made the remark: "That guy knows more about my life than I do."
Mr. Giuliano missed the joke and used it to endorse his book. To rate himself
as the world's greatest rock 'n' roll biographer (a laughable title in the
first place) is nothing but delusion. He has only ever been in the vicinity of
my husband for about ten minutes and considers himself an expert. He parades
as a spiritual person while condemning the famous, yet without them his
achievements in this life wouldn't rate one line in any newspaper. To judge
Paul McCartney as "vacuous and shallow" after all Paul has written and offered
to the world is surely the judgement of an arrogant mind, especially as
Giuliano's own recognition is not because he is creative, but because like a
starving dog, he scavenges from his heroes, picking up bits of gristle and
sinew along the way, repackaging them for consumption by a gullible public.
His life is a "curse" to himself, and perhaps his admitted 300 acid trips by
the age of 19 have something to do with it. I'm sick of this guy.
Olivia Harrison (Mrs. George)
Henley-on-Thames

END

lennon fan

Jul 24, 2001, 5:59:16 PM7/24/01
and the way that sleazebag Giuliano used George's recent misfortunes to
make others frightened for George just to make a buck....

---what a disgrace.

regards from lennonfan

Mister Charlie

Jul 24, 2001, 6:17:52 PM7/24/01

"lennon fan" <lenn...@webtv.net> wrote in message

He's truly a wicked man.

Beware of Darkness had to have been all about him.

Mark Janovec

Jul 24, 2001, 7:11:18 PM7/24/01
Wow, that sounds a lot like someone else on this newsgroup!

Diana

Jul 24, 2001, 7:18:13 PM7/24/01
Isn't it illegal for a private citizen to tap another's phone line? It's
illegal if you do it with someone's computer (hacking).

- - - - - -
http://www.hariscruffs.com

"As a scientist, Throckmorton knew that if he were ever
to break wind in the echo chamber, he would never hear
the end of it."

Diana

Jul 24, 2001, 7:18:13 PM7/24/01
"Nurktwn" <nur...@cfl.rr.com> writes:

>Olivia Harrison's comments about Giuliano, published in the
>Henley newspaper, I believe, also were precious. Can anyone
>post them for those who may have missed them?

Olivia's comments were first published in The Guardian. Here's a 1998 post
from JoMac. Found it in Google.

Taken from The Harrison Alliance, Oct-Dec 1992 page 9.

Giuliano Blasts the Beatles - Olivia Strikes Back

In a September 22 interview in the British newspaper
"The Guardian," Geoffrey Giuliano characterized the Beatles
as "shits". "Have you any idea how disappointing it was for
me to discover the Beatles were such shits in real life? I mean
George Harrison is an eccentric recluse, a failed Yogi and very
disillusioned with life. And Paul McCartney, well, he's just vacuous
and shallow," he told the interviewer. "You know I didn't have a dad,"
he continued. "The Beatles were my dads. Imagine how disappointed I was
... John Lennon was the first intellectual I was
exposed to." Giuliano, who calls himself "the world's greatest rock
and roll biographer" went on to say, that by the age of 19 "I'd done
acid 300 times. Then I saw there was no point. It was a dead end. I had
George Harrison's Hare Krishna in my head, so I ended up in India."
Olivia Harrison responded in a letter to the editor which was printed
in the "Guardian's" October 10 edition: "The sight of Geoffey

Giuliano's face is enough to make anyone a recluse. My husband
once made the remark: 'That guy knows more about my life than I do.'
Mr. Giuliano missed the joke and used it to endorse his book.

"To rate himself the world's greatest rock and roll biographer (a laughable

title in the first place) is nothing but delusion. He has only ever been in

the vicinity of my husband for about 10 minutes and considers himself an
expert.

"He parades as a spiritual person while condemning the famous, yet without
them his achievements in this life wouldn't rate one line in any newspaper.
"To judge Paul McCartney as 'vacuous and shallow' after all Paul has written
and offered to the world is surely the judgement of an arrogant mind,

especially as Giuliano's own recognition is not because he is creative but
because, like a starving dog, he scavenges his heroes, picking up bits of

gristle and sinew along the way, repackaging them for consumption by a
gullible public.

"His life is a 'curse' to himself and perhaps his admitted 300 acid trips by
the age of 19 has something to do with it.

"I'm sick of this guy."

Olivia Harrison
Henley-on-Thames
Oxon

John Whelan

Jul 24, 2001, 8:08:30 PM7/24/01

"Mark Janovec" <mjan...@pressenter.nospam.com> wrote in message

> Wow, that sounds a lot like someone else on this newsgroup!

I wonder who you had in mind, LOL! ;-)

Regards,

John

jokerman

Jul 24, 2001, 9:46:47 PM7/24/01
UsurperTom wrote

> This is Olivia's letter to the Guardian on October 8, 1992.
(snipped all--scroll back to read it).

What an utterly fascinating thread. Thanks to those who've contributed with
facts. There's more interesting stuff in here than in an average week of
rmb. Yoko tapping phones, Olivia (who I've hardly ever heard *anything*
about) praising Paul (!?!), George & Paul interactions, a concise
distillation of why GG is treated with utter contempt by all knowledgable
Beatlefans ... amazing.

Thanks to all.

ps Can the amateur lawyer in me jump up and say "Objection--hearsay!" when
George starts talking about what Paul told him, though?

UsurperTom

Jul 24, 2001, 9:57:08 PM7/24/01
jokerman wrote:

>Yoko tapping phones

I'd love to know the details of that one.
Tom

Diana

Jul 25, 2001, 6:46:03 AM7/25/01
amara...@aol.com (Diana) writes:

>from JoMac. Found it in Google.

Sorry, UTom. I sent this this afternoon and yours hadn't shown up yet.

UsurperTom

Jul 25, 2001, 3:31:27 PM7/25/01
Diana wrote:

>I sent this this afternoon and yours hadn't shown up yet.

I had the same problem with the AOL newsgroup because my post was too long to
show up. I had to check Google to find it.
Tom

lstoll

Jul 25, 2001, 6:00:48 PM7/25/01
UsurperTom wrote:

> This is Olivia's letter to the Guardian on October 8, 1992.
>
> The sight of Geoffrey Giuliano's face is enough
> to make anyone a recluse.... I'm sick of this guy.

Yep, what with what happened with the intruder
Olivia Harrison is definitely 2 for 2 :-) -laura

Ananda G.

Jul 25, 2001, 7:02:19 PM7/25/01
First I would like to say well, these are just all lies. I am a huge
fan of Giuliano, and I I know him very well. People love him, people
hate him. That is how fame goes. Giuliano thinks George is the best
person in the world. If there is one person Giuliano would like to be
around all the time is George Harrison. Geoffrey is VERY upset that
George is in this state of dying. (from the religious point of veiw.)
The reason why he writes all these books is because he wants to
provide a nice life style for his family. When he was a boy, he was
very poor. His father was a plumber. (that is what he said in a
issue of Rolling Stone magazine last year) All his life he wanted to
be an actor. But that did not work out, so the only reason why he
does this (tells the truth) is so he can provide for his family. He
is not the type of guy you will see working at Wal-Mart. I bet you
anything, when George does die, Giuliano will be very upset about
loosing someone who brought Giuliano his religion.

Mister Charlie

Jul 25, 2001, 8:03:00 PM7/25/01

"lstoll" <la...@lstoll.com> wrote in message

Yes! She's my new hero!

Oliviamania!

THU234

Jul 25, 2001, 10:58:56 PM7/25/01
ARE YOU FOR REAL?

lstoll

Jul 27, 2001, 6:27:31 PM7/27/01
"Ananda G." wrote:

> When he was a boy, he was very poor.
> His father was a plumber.

Is his dad still working? All the plumbers I've ever
hired make a damn good living and I wouldn't mind
finding one who works cheap ;-) -laura

Nurktwn

Jul 27, 2001, 10:02:39 PM7/27/01

"lstoll" <la...@lstoll.com> wrote in message news:3B61EAD0...@lstoll.com...

> Is his dad still working? All the plumbers I've ever
> hired make a damn good living and I wouldn't mind
> finding one who works cheap ;-) -laura

Yeah, but he produced Geoffy. Would you want someone with that track record working
on anything you own?

UsurperTom

Jul 28, 2001, 2:33:46 AM7/28/01
Nurktwn wrote:

>he produced Geoffy.

I don't think Geoff's Italian father wanted his son to become a guru.
Tom

george.b...@t-online.de

Oct 22, 2017, 7:07:20 AM10/22/17

Norbert K

Oct 22, 2017, 11:25:26 AM10/22/17
There's a name one doesn't hear much anymore.