OT: The Song: "My Belle Amie"

Mr. Heart Throb

May 4, 2006, 6:23:58 PM5/4/06
Anyone remember this song by the group "The
Tee Set? Of the 60's..about 1968? I found it accidently minutes
ago...cause of the thread where someone was mentioning "Venus" by "the
Shocking Blue."

Anyhow, has anyone ever noticed the harmony
vocal in "My Belle Amie"? To my ears, it sounds exactly like Paul
McCartney. Did Paul ever sing on this? It appears this song was a one
hit wonder.

I found both songs on the Cd: "The Heritage Colossus Story" The CD is
worth checking out.
Has those type of songs You might never come
across again, or recall the names of..but they'll always be way back in
your memory, wanting and waiting to be found.

saki

May 4, 2006, 6:51:21 PM5/4/06
sequen...@webtv.net (Mr. Heart Throb) wrote in news:9862-445A7EFE-941
@storefull-3337.bay.webtv.net:

> Anyone remember this song by the group "The
> Tee Set? Of the 60's..about 1968? I found it accidently minutes
> ago...cause of the thread where someone was mentioning "Venus" by "the
> Shocking Blue."
>
> Anyhow, has anyone ever noticed the harmony
> vocal in "My Belle Amie"? To my ears, it sounds exactly like Paul
> McCartney. Did Paul ever sing on this? It appears this song was a one
> hit wonder.

The Tee Set from Holland was founded in 1963 as an R&B/pop group. They had
several songs on the Dutch charts but had a more international hit with "Ma
Belle Amie", recorded in 1969. It sounds a bit like Paul but is not Paul.

An earlier song by the group was written by Robby van Leeuwen, who also
wrote Shocking Blue's "Venus".

----
sa...@ucla.edu

weather...@yahoo.com

May 4, 2006, 8:09:43 PM5/4/06
The Tee Set was a Dutch quintet and its lead singer was David Peter
Tetteroo. They took "Ma Bell Amie" to #5 in Jan. 70 and had a
follow-up hit with :If You Do Believe in Love," which got to #70 in May
of 1970. In the US, they were on the Colossus label.

You're not the only one who thought the song had Beatle-like overtones.
So did Todd Rundgren and Utopia. Their Beatle "tribute" LP, "Deface
the Music," was filled with mock-Fabs songs and arrangements, but they
also included a snippet of the melody of "Ma Bell Amie" at the end of
the song "Silly Boy" (which was sort of an "I'll Cry Instead"-type
tune).

BibsBro

May 4, 2006, 8:30:01 PM5/4/06

Oh yeah! I always thougth of Paul when I heard that song. I always thought
of Paul when I heard Billy Joel sing that song which I'm not sure of the
name, possibly "You Oughta Know By Now". When he sings about trading
something for a Cadillac-ac-ac...

BibsBro

"Mr. Heart Throb" <sequen...@webtv.net> wrote in message

weather...@yahoo.com

May 4, 2006, 8:58:07 PM5/4/06
Billy Joel's catalogue is filled with Beatles cops, the most prominent
of which is probably "Don't Ask Me Why" from "Glass Houses." I'm still
finding these. The other day "Scenes from An Italian restaurant" came
on the radio, and I thought of how it's "whoa-oh" hook between choruses
made the song. Then I wondered where I had head that exact hook before.
It's in "Sext Sadie" just before the final line of each verse.

waltbrad

May 4, 2006, 9:17:46 PM5/4/06
The Billy Joel song, "Always a Woman to Me" is very much like a
wistful McCartney song with lyrics by Lennon/McCartney

TAR

May 4, 2006, 11:52:30 PM5/4/06
Mr. Heart Throb wrote:

> Anyone remember this song by the group "The
> Tee Set? Of the 60's..about 1968? I found it accidently minutes
> ago...cause of the thread where someone was mentioning "Venus" by "the
> Shocking Blue."
>
> Anyhow, has anyone ever noticed the harmony
> vocal in "My Belle Amie"? To my ears, it sounds exactly like Paul
> McCartney.

Yes! I always thought so, too.

Hugh Jampton

May 5, 2006, 12:54:56 AM5/5/06
>Billy Joel's catalogue is filled with Beatles cops

Like about 90% of "The Nylon Curtain". Of course, I dug it anyway...

MikeLawyr2

May 5, 2006, 8:34:18 AM5/5/06
I am simply shocked that people hear Beatles styles, themes, devices,
etc. in others' recorded music.

Barbara & Wim Meijnen & Kombrink

May 5, 2006, 8:56:02 AM5/5/06
MikeLawyr2 schreef:

> I am simply shocked that people hear Beatles styles, themes, devices,
> etc. in others' recorded music.

You could try "True Love, That's a Wonder" by the magnificent Dutch band
Sandy Coast..a very Beatlesque bass-line, three part harmonics. It's a
single from '69.

Chris Jepson

May 5, 2006, 10:07:19 AM5/5/06
MikeLawyr2 wrote:
> I am simply shocked that people hear Beatles styles, themes, devices,
> etc. in others' recorded music.

I know! Why would anyone want to try to sound like them?!?

Chris Jepson

Marston Moor

May 5, 2006, 10:28:14 AM5/5/06
LOVE the Tee Set! Got their US LP + a good import CD comp. What a
soulful voice. And the swirling organ sounds have always fascinated me.
I even covered MBA not long ago.

Hey, BibsBro- how do you add the "-nospam" to yer webtv addy? You must
be on a computer?

RS

weather...@yahoo.com

May 5, 2006, 11:04:21 AM5/5/06
Even the Temptations namecheck the Beatles -- it's in "Ball of
Confusion."

Mr. Heart Throb

May 5, 2006, 2:27:57 PM5/5/06
>>weather...@yahoo.com

IMO, the whole album is lousy, except for "All Smiles." Somehow, Rungren
managed to get his voice to sound like Paul, and the guitar work
like George. The live version is a horror.

Mr. Heart Throb

May 5, 2006, 2:33:50 PM5/5/06
>>Mbux...@lowenstein.com (MikeLawyr2)
>>I am simply shocked that people hear
>>Beatles styles, themes, devices, etc. in
>>others' recorded music.

Me too. How could this be? The Beatles weren't that popular. They sold
about a thousand albums.

BibsBro

May 5, 2006, 7:19:08 PM5/5/06

"Marston Moor" <RS...@webtv.net> wrote in message

That's right RS (Ringo Starr?), I have both.

BibsBro

BibsBro

May 5, 2006, 7:19:57 PM5/5/06

<weather...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

That's interesting.

Mr. Heart Throb

May 5, 2006, 7:56:16 PM5/5/06
>>walt...@hotmail.com (waltbrad)
>>The Billy Joel song, "Always a Woman to
>>Me" is very much like a wistful McCartney
>>song with lyrics by Lennon/McCartney

Correct title: She's always a woman"
I hear no McCartney influence or a Lennon/McCartney influence whatsoever
in this song...or any of Joel's song so far. Can you name any at all?
I'm still trying to find em

Mr. Heart Throb

May 5, 2006, 8:00:56 PM5/5/06
>>redja...@yahoo.com (Hugh Jampton)

Thanks, I found the first McCartney influence form this album.
"Allentown." Haven't gotten to the rest of the songs yet.

abe slaney

May 5, 2006, 8:46:16 PM5/5/06
That's funny...I haven't ever heard a Billy Joel song that I thought
*wasn't* a knock-off of somebody or other: Lennon/McCartney/
Jagger/Richards/ Ray Charles/ Bob Dylan/ even Frankie-freaking-Valli!
What is the guy's own style? Who knows.

Lizz Holmans

May 5, 2006, 9:05:45 PM5/5/06
On Sat, 06 May 2006 00:46:16 GMT, abe slaney <abesl...@itagain.com>
wrote:

>That's funny...I haven't ever heard a Billy Joel song that I thought
>*wasn't* a knock-off of somebody or other: Lennon/McCartney/
>Jagger/Richards/ Ray Charles/ Bob Dylan/ even Frankie-freaking-Valli!
>What is the guy's own style? Who knows.

I'm terrified that he really is the Piano Man.

Lizz 'when the moon is ful...' Holmans
--
Rumpeta, rumpeta, rumpeta

Slip Kid

May 5, 2006, 9:11:20 PM5/5/06

He made the cover of TIME, way back, with the longer than usual story to
go with it.

That's pretty much how he was described and I think he didn't deny his
chameleon quality.
I may be wrong but I recall a list of songs where he 'credited' the
source(s) - - It was blatant and he'd have been a fool to dodge it but I
doubt if his core fans see his style(s) as less than original.
Elton was on the list too.

CDBaby:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/lathropgiller
Amazon:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V597211EC <------<<<< Pick up a nickel
per post, ez money

Michael

Lookingglass

May 6, 2006, 12:22:12 AM5/6/06

"Slip Kid" <G...@att.net> wrote in message

I think Lizz hit the nail on the head... he IS the piano man... with all
original material...genius...!

dave (...guaranteed to raise a smile...)
www.Shemakhan.com

Message has been deleted

Barbara & Wim Meijnen & Kombrink

May 6, 2006, 2:37:14 AM5/6/06
poisoned rose schreef:

>>Correct title: She's always a woman"
>>I hear no McCartney influence or a Lennon/McCartney influence whatsoever
>>in this song...or any of Joel's song so far.
>

> = For No One? Not such a wide jump. And of course the title is one
> word removed from a Beatles tune.
>
> On the other hand, I haven't heard a full Billy Joel album, but I've
> never heard a Joel song which is *offensively* Beatles-derivative.
> "She's Always a Woman" succeeds fine on its own terms, for what it
> is. And since Joel's arranging style is usually so unBeatles-like,
> *except* in some songs like the above based around really simple
> piano parts....
I always thought his song "Allentown" was very Beatlesque (it's on Nylon
Curtain)

sixti...@yahoo.com

May 6, 2006, 10:49:02 AM5/6/06

Hugh Jampton wrote:
> >Billy Joel's catalogue is filled with Beatles cops
>
> Like about 90% of "The Nylon Curtain". Of course, I dug it anyway...

I just saw Billy Joel about six weeks ago. He put on one heck of a
show, 2 1/2 hrs non-stop, and he did my favorite song from "Nylon
Curtain"..."Allentown". Also did "Goodnight Saigon"...great. I always
considered "Nylon Curtain" to be Billy's Lennon tribute album, coming
so soon after John's death. Just listen to "Pressure", "Surprises",
and especially "Scandinavian Skies".