Dancing/Taping/Dead

Michael Mugmon

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
First, I'd like to draw a distinction between taping and dancing. At
the Bruce Hornsby shows and Bela Fleck shows I've attended, I've never
had a problem with the tapers. With the exception of a few, they set up
for the most part in out-of-the-way locations, and those who trade
perform a valuable service for the tape-trading community. They allow
me to relax and enjoy the show because I know I can get my hands on a
copy of the show afterwards.

As far as dancing and the Dead go, I echo the sentiments of Jarrett.
Though I don't detest the Dead, I don't consider myself a fan of the
Grateful Dead. I'm a fan of Bruce Hornsby, and it didn't take the Dead
to introduce me to Bruce. And it bothers the hell out of me to hear
Deadheads yell out requests for Bruce to play Dead tunes in what appears
to be an effort to resusciate the Dead (pardon the pun) in any way
possible. I'm well aware of the fact that Bruce increases his audience
by accommodating the requests of Deadheads, but you can hear the mild
annoyance in his voice when someone shouts, "Wharf Rat!" or "Jack
Straw!" instead of "Long Tall Cool One" or "Harbor Lights." I recall an
interview on Good Morning America a couple of years ago when Joan Lunden
introduced him as the keyboardist for the Grateful Dead, and he cringed
noticeably. Why? I imagine it's because he has a phenomenal repetoire
of his own music, and that he doesn't want to be known simply as the
Dead's ex-keyboardist. To me, Deadheads' desire to channel Jerry Garcia
through Bruce Hornsby is unfortunate and -- let the flames begin -- even
disrespectful to Bruce's prowess as a piano player.

Which brings me to dancing -- mostly a Deadhead phenomenon -- at Hornsby
shows. Heck, I even saw it when I went to the (extremely disappointing)
John Scofield show a couple of weeks ago. But at any rate, I don't have
a problem with the dancing, so long as it doesn't interfere with my
enjoyment of the show -- in other words, so long as the person isn't
dancing or wailing her arms in front of me, I don't care. I find it
incredibly bizarre, but I don't mind. It's when my ability to watch the
show is affected that it bothers me. And perhaps it's the recent
profusion of dancing at Hornsby -- probably exacerbated by the
increasing number of Deadheads at Hornsby shows -- that might combine to
cause irritation. And again, I'd echo Jarrett's statements by asking
dancers to think of the others who don't care to participate. I'm no
middle-ager either -- I'm a kid who's about to graduate from college,
and I come to listen.

I think I recall someone posting a few years ago (I think I've been on
this newsgroup for around five years or so) that Hornsby audiences
consist of 1/2 Deadheads, 1/4 Hornsby fans from *The Way It Is* era, and
1/4 hardcore Hornsby fans (the group I claim membership in). I have a
feeling the Dead fraction is increasing. I just wonder how Bruce feels
about accommodating Deadheads' requests. Does he believe that they
don't take his own music seriously enough? Does he care? We know he
has an affinity for the Dead's music, but I hate to see it infringe on
his own. When I go to a Hornsby show, I'd much prefer to hear him play
a couple of songs from *Harbor Lights* or *Hot House* rather than the
Dead tunes he throws in.

Michael
--------------
Michael Mugmon
University of Pennsylvania, College '99
mmu...@sas.upenn.edu
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~mmugmon

aud

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
Michael Mugmon <mmu...@sas.upenn.edu> wrote:
: Dead's ex-keyboardist. To me, Deadheads' desire to channel Jerry Garcia

: through Bruce Hornsby is unfortunate and -- let the flames begin -- even
: disrespectful to Bruce's prowess as a piano player.

not that I condone the behaviour of certain factions of the
"deadhead" scene, but you've got to admit, Bruce brought some
of it on himself doing so many GD covers in the first place...

unfortunately, since Garcia died, Bruce is one of the few people
who does any justice to that material, and it's kind of nice to
see it live.

of course, next guy who screams JACK STRAW or SUGAREE next
to me gets it right in the kisser ;-)

audrey * when the going gets weird
* the weird turn pro...
(remove 'nospam') * -raoul duke

Russ Korins

May 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/1/99
Good points all around--definitely true that there seems to be some degree
of irritation in response to mindless "Jack Straw!!!" yells.

However, there's something else going on here too. Guess what--Dead songs
are great vehicles for musical exploration, and that's ultimately what
Bruce is about. I don't think Bruce has a binary view of the musical
world, viewing music as "mine" and "not mine."

Of course, an inevitable result of playing with the Dead will be this
mindless request phenomenon. But I'd also give even the Deadheads at
Bruce shows more credit. This is not a Dave Matthews concert where truly
mindless teenyboppers go to hear "Crash Into Me," and that's it. Some
Bruce fans might be more into "Jack Straw" than "Harbor Lights," but it's
not like that's an arbitrary distinction--those songs are vastly
different. Because Bruce covers a gazillion different music genres during
the course of three hours, some fragmentation is likely. But I think
everyone there is there to see Bruce the musician, whether he exposes his
skill through the Dead song they like or through "The Way It Is," or
both--for some people, the range is narrow; for some, it's wider.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't dismiss Dead covers as simply
gratuitous handouts to a particular lobby. It's simply more music to
explore, to vary, to mix in and weave with all the other stuff.

It's a situation where not everyone will be happy 100% of the time, but
I'd so much rather have it this way than some generic, down-the-middle,
sugar-coated pop concert where the biggest musical challenge, instead of
following the songs, is enduring idle boredom.

--
Russ Korins

gdwoman

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Hi

I"ve been following this strand and have decided to stay out of it until
now....

I am a Dead Head, and a huge Hornsby fan....I've enjoyed his music since the
late 80s.....BEFORE he was with the Dead...and I was just totally psyched
when he started to play with the Dead... I was also really psyched when he
collaborated with Shawn Colvin, Bonnie Raitt, Bela Fleck and yes, even
Stevie Nicks.... He is an increadible talented musician in every sense of
the word and I love all his music.

People seem to think that just because they have been listening to a
particular "brand" of music longer, they hold some sort of special "rights"
to how it is to be enjoyed. I remember when Touch of Gray became big...and
there was a whole influx of "newbies"....some people were down right mean to
them. Why does it matter why someone loves the music, or When they were
first introduced? We all, apparently, share a love for the same music.... we
should be able to find a positive connection in that instead of trying to
draw lines of distinction? (you know, those "Lines in the Dust"?)

I'll tell you, Bruce has become my perfomer to see in concert- I dance...I
try to be resectful, and if people ask me to move, I do. I'll also tell you
that for each person who has ever asked me to move, or who has mocked me
(loud enough for me to hear, but "behind my back") or who has been just
plain rude to me about it, there have been 10 others who have said beautiful
things to me about my dancing. The dancing is truely my greatest Joy....
and it makes me smile to know that it brings joy to others as well. I
appologize if I have bothered you at shows, but please, just ask me to move,
and I will. I usually stay to the back, sides and aisles...

So, thanks kids, - for letting me vent and share a little....I hope everyone
enjoys the shows....how ever they like to!
Elyce

AmyNRic

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Right on!!!

roger whelan

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
hey now!!!

i thought long and hard before responding to this post. As a DEADHEAD, I am
somewhat insulted by some of the things here. YES I was introduced to Bruce
by him playing with the DEAD(well i do have THE WAY IT IS), but who cares
how someone gets introduced to Bruce as long as they can appreciate the fact
that plain and simple, he is one of the best piano players on the planet. I
enjoy trading concert tapes and jamming to his stuff in the car.

hell i even drove 6 hours and 41/2 hours to see him.

I feel that Bruce more than caters to those of you who do not want to
dance. Hey I freely admit that I think those of you who sit down the entire
show are nuts. Bruce's music is very danceable and you should try
loosening up a bit. Of course that is MY opinion and what it really boils
down to is HAVE FUN. The Shows I have attended were no where near 50%
DEADHEADS and there was plenty of room to dance along the side. No one's
view was even obstructed.

As a matter of fact, I have a show on tape in which Bruce actually makes fun
of everyone sitting down. As he rolls into SPIDER FINGERS for the first
song of the evening, he says sarcastically "thats right everyone sit down,
you just don't get it, do you."

I think that Bruce LOVES when people have fun and dance at his shows. I
mean why should he have everyone up on stage? He knows that there are some
funs who do just want to sit and listen, but overall I feel that if he did
not want people to dance then why is the music so hot?!?!?!? his ,music is
made for dancing!

Michael Mugmon wrote:

> With the exception of a few, they set up
> for the most part in out-of-the-way locations, and those who trade
> perform a valuable service for the tape-trading community.

at the Bruce shows I have been to there were tapers right amongst the
audience so I cannot say that they are out of the way, they were in with
everyone else....but once again I do not mind they are capturing history and
trading it to those of us who love bootleg tapes.

> but you can hear the mild
> annoyance in his voice when someone shouts, "Wharf Rat!" or "Jack
> Straw!"

agreed!!!! hey i love to hear him do Sugaree and Franklin's as much as the
next guy, but I love HIS music which is why I go.

> To me, Deadheads' desire to channel Jerry Garcia
> through Bruce Hornsby is unfortunate and -- let the flames begin -- even
> disrespectful to Bruce's prowess as a piano player.

i am certain most DEADHEADS who care about the MUSIC do not agree with you
here. We understand that Bruce has a gift from God.

> I don't care. I find it incredibly bizarre,

i guess i just do not get it, how can you just sit when Bruce is TEARING UP
a RAINBOW CADDY?

> Does he believe that they
> don't take his own music seriously enough? Does he care? We know he
> has an affinity for the Dead's music, but I hate to see it infringe on
> his own.

i do not think he feels infringed upon. If he did he simply would not play
any Dead tunes. I am not certain you realize what it is to be a DEADHEAD.
Bruce was in a DEAD cover band and years later, ends up PLAYING with them.

That would be like you playing with Bruce. As besides, he does the tunes so
well and i really think he enjoys doing them, but I do agree with you about
the people shouting JACK STRAW, ETC all the time. That has to drive him
nuts.

I guess to sum all this up, I do not understand why this thread started in
the first place. I do not see many problems at Bruce shows (compared to
most other concerts). At the shows I have been to everyone, dancers,
tapers, etc., were polite(for the most part) and enjoyed themselves. I did
not see the post by JARRET, but I cannot figure out the problem here. Those
of use who dance, found a place to dance those who taped, found a place to
tape, and those who wanted to sit and listen, did that.

As a matter of fact the rudest people that I have seen at a Bruce show were
the two HORNSBY fans standing next to me while I dances (in the back) and
TALKED the whole show, even during TIDE WILL RISE.

peace

roger

roger whelan

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
RIGHT ON!!!!!

BlooAllah

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
Ditto..................

Slipfrank

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
<<I just wonder how Bruce feels
about accommodating Deadheads' requests. Does he believe that they don't take

his own music seriously enough? Does he care? >>

I think that Bruce loves playing the Deads music, if he didnt, he wouldnt play
it - he's not being held hostage on stage by the evil Deadheads. Does he
believe that Deadheads dont take his music seriously enough - no. Any
"deadhead" who has ever listened to a Hornsby show (live or taped) knows that
his music is a quality product - Grateful Dead Productions offers each of
Bruce's CDs on their webpage. Ive been to shows with hardline Deadheads that
yell out requests for Bruce's songs as often as requests for Dead covers.
Finally, does he care ? I think he wants to give his crowds what they want,
but I also think that he's got big enough balls to play what HE wants.

Slipfrank

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
<<Regarding the dancing, I think it's a sign that you're really into the music;
part of it.>>

Rubish. Ive seen people do the GD "boneless chicken dance" at all kinds of
concerts, not just good ones. People dance because they like to dance. I've
been "on the bus" for 15 years and I consider myself to be "really into the
music" (both the Dead and Bruce-solo) and I dont gyrate at any concert. You'd
be amazed at how "into it" you can be by sitting/ standing still, closing your
eyes, and LISTENING.

drew

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
On the topic of playing Dead tunes, Bruce made some very
interesting comments in that interview from (I believe it
was) the Lexington paper, back in March. He pointed out that
what attracts him to the Dead's music is the *songwriting*,
rather than the jamming. Bruce can *jam* in so many styles,
with plenty of jazz vocabulary to draw upon, that he doesn't
really take much from the Dead in terms of improvization
(though he certainly added to & guided lots of great
latter-day GD space jams!). What he digs is a well-crafted
Hunter-Garcia song like Loser or Black Muddy River or
Terrapin, on its own merits as a composition. $.02 -drew

Slipfrank wrote:
> I think that Bruce loves playing the Deads music, if he didnt, he wouldnt play
> it - he's not being held hostage on stage by the evil Deadheads.

-snip-