Good Vibrations

Kevin Grumball

Jan 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/22/97

Can anyone point me at a score (or sheet music) of "Good Vibrations"? I
can find lots of copies of the lyrics, but it's the harmonies I'd really
like. Thanks.

Regards,
Kevin

Richard Morretta

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

If I am not mistaken there is a reprint of the sheet in the Smile Look
Listen Vibrate book by Dominic Priore.

'Dumb-Angel' Darrell Hahn

Jan 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/25/97

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Richard Morretta wrote:

> If I am not mistaken there is a reprint of the sheet in the Smile Look
> Listen Vibrate book by Dominic Priore.

But the sheet music in Domenic's book is all wrong. The chords are wrong
- they don't even have the right key or progression!

Essentially, the song's in Ebm, with the verses going:

Ebm, Db, Cb, Bb
each chord gets two measures

Etc....

- Darrell Hahn
darr...@u.washington.edu

Jim McCabe

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

'Dumb-Angel' Darrell Hahn <darr...@u.washington.edu> wrote in article
<Pine.A41.3.95b.970125155006.24020A-

> But the sheet music in Domenic's book is all wrong. The chords are wrong
> - they don't even have the right key or progression!

Hell, it's not even the right song! :-) The sheet music in LLVS is not GV,
but Cabinessence.

--
Noble "Rob McCabe" Surfer

"Hang on cause I know that you're gonna lose the fight" - Brian Wilson

Sean C. Courtney

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97

In a previous article, morr...@ix.netcom.com (Richard Morretta) says:

>> Can anyone point me at a score (or sheet music) of "Good Vibrations"? I
>> can find lots of copies of the lyrics, but it's the harmonies I'd really
>> like. Thanks.
>

>If I am not mistaken there is a reprint of the sheet in the Smile Look
>Listen Vibrate book by Dominic Priore.

Only in the first edition. All sheet music, minus "Cabinessence," was
omitted from the 1995 reissue...

--
| Sean Courtney | "...and remember, my friends, future events
| dau...@prairienet.org | such as these will affect you in the future."
| www.prairienet.org/~dauber | -- Criswell, _Plan 9 From Outer Space_

Sean C. Courtney

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

In a previous article, jcm...@cycor.ca ("Jim McCabe") says:

>> But the sheet music in Domenic's book is all wrong. The chords are wrong
>> - they don't even have the right key or progression!
>
>Hell, it's not even the right song! :-) The sheet music in LLVS is not GV,
>but Cabinessence.

The ORIGINAL pressing had not only "Cabinessence" AND "Good Vibrations,"
but also "Heroes And Villains," all but "Cabinessence" being terribly
inaccurate...

dave prokopy

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

dau...@prairienet.org (Sean C. Courtney) wrote:

>The ORIGINAL pressing had not only "Cabinessence" AND "Good Vibrations,"
>but also "Heroes And Villains," all but "Cabinessence" being terribly
>inaccurate...

sheet music, for popular music, is almost always done AFTER the fact, by
someone outside of the artist's camp. they basically "reverse compose" the
song, listening to the record and trying to figure out what the chords and
melody and lyrics were. that's why they are usually so completely off-base
(especially with the words).

FWIW, the "sheet music" for "cabin essence" reprinted in priore's book
isn't technically sheet music, but a "lead sheet," which basically only
shows the chords and the basic melody. this was used by the session
musicians during the actual recording date. and, in fact, it was probably
that very same lead sheet that allowed carl to add an accurate lead vocal
to the track in 1968, even though presumably no lead vocal had ever been
recorded (or even attempted) in 1966.

--
< dave prokopy - pro...@iquest.net - http://www.iquest.net/~prokopy >
< "there's a radio tower that's eggin' me on/ back to the place >

Kevin Grumball

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

> >If I am not mistaken there is a reprint of the sheet in the Smile Look
> >Listen Vibrate book by Dominic Priore.

Thanks, but I think my newsfeed must have eaten a whole lot of messages
as I never saw the original reply. Anyway, the group have decided it's
probably too difficult, so we're looking for the score to "California
Girls" now.

Regards,
Kevin

Andrew Facherty

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

In article <5ct4to$g...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

dau...@prairienet.org (Sean C. Courtney) wrote:

>Only in the first edition. All sheet music, minus "Cabinessence," was
>omitted from the 1995 reissue...

This is particularly sad. For whilst there are other virtually full
arrangements for 'Good Vibrations' (a recent 'Best of the Beach Boys'
songbook had all the usual naff arrangements for the common hits, but an
almost 'Rock Score' standard for 'GV'), the best version of 'Heroes and
Villains' was in Priore's compilation. It didn't have extra voices (just
two stave piano plus vocal), but it did have an attempt at the du-du-du
section after '...an affair of my life with the Heroes and Villains'. It
has five pages compared with other editions' three.

Textus

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

This is a serious problem, and for this listener one that is more pressing
than whether Nashville has had enough opportunity to interpret BB songs.

The sheet music for Beach Boy and other Brian Wilson music is incredibly
shoddy. Post mentions "California Girls." The 1985 Beach Boys Complete
(sic) omits the fanfare. No prelude to "Wouldn't It Be Nice." Bridges are
missing from other songs. Keys are incorrect. And at their best they do
not capture the complexity of the music. Many whole songs are missing, by
the way, and when I picked up a copy of a Captain and Tennille songbook
for "God Only Knows," a) it was in the wrong key, b) its key signature
even within the key publisher placed it in didn't fit, and c) bridge was
left out.

Elmo Peeler

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

Most sheet music for popular songs is indeed frustratingly inaccurate. I've
sketched out a chord chart for "Good Vibrations" that may be of some help.

If anyone would like to see it, please drop me a note.

Best wishes,

Elmo
ManyMIDI Products
http://www.manymidi.com

HW1781

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

would the original single sheet music have a good chord chart?

'Dumb-Angel' Darrell Hahn

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

On 21 Feb 1997, HW1781 wrote:

> would the original single sheet music have a good chord chart?

No - all sheet music I've ever seen for GV (including the sheet music in
Look Listen Vibrate Smile) is horribly inaccurate....

. Darrell Hahn (formerly known as 'D.M. Bangel') .
. darr...@u.washington.edu .