new thread: BEST KEPT SECRET IN A CAPPELLA?

Hug0731

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
Hey -- Just wanted to kick around a new idea for a thread...Now, on this
newsgroup, we hear lots of talk about some of the really amazing & well-known
groups in a cappella today, such as the house jacks, m-pact, etc...But how
about the really incredible groups out there that maybe not so many people know
about? I'm talking about the groups that aren't quite in the "public eye"
churning out album after album -- yet can still hang with the best of
them...From any genre, style, whatever...
This is your chance to share with the a cappella community a new group they may
be unfamiliar with, as well as maybe generate some talk and new fans for that
group!...

Erik :)

4real - Chris Murphy

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
THANKS!!!!!!!!! How about us...were 4real from Pittsburgh, PA and we can
hang, too!

Hanno Mueller

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
Hug0731 <hug...@aol.com> wrote:
: I'm talking about the groups that aren't quite in the "public eye"

: churning out album after album

I think that one of the best kept secrets is that there is great a
cappella all over the world, not just around the corner, and that it's
worth to check out what's going on out there.

It's cheesy to promote one's own band(+) , so allow me to promote a
few German groups that *I* think deserve a few international
sales... These are purely personal opininions, partly biased because I
mention friends of mine. Their albums rocked me.

Maybe Bop
http://www.hanno.de/casa/en/band-info.html/maybeBop/Hannover/D

The Buddhas
http://www.hanno.de/casa/en/band-info.html/The+Buddhas/Hamburg/D

Vocaleros
http://www.hanno.de/casa/en/band-info.html/Vocaleros/K%26ouml%3Bln/D

Micheal Schiefel Solo
http://next-berlin.de/schiefel/

Total Vocal
http://www.totalvocal.de

I hope that those German groups I didn't mention here won't start
hating me now... Sorry guys.

Greetings,

Hanno

(+) btw, my band is called Sechs Richtige and we're great <cough>
http://www.hanno.de/casa/en/band-info.html/Sechs+Richtige/Hannover/D

lis...@my-deja.com

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
This is for the old timers - anyone remember the Genuine Diamelles?
Possibly the first a cappella group to do Kashmir, while in the same set
they did the Underdog Theme Song, Hall of the Mountain King, and I Am A
Truck Stop Waitress. Hysterical! Definitely my vote for best kept
secret of a cappella. If I could bring back any of the disbanded
groups, I'd pick them. Well, maybe after the Baltimores! and Acme Vocals
of course, and Quintessence, well, nobody can pick just one!
Lisa Collins

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Ken Malucelli

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
to lis...@my-deja.com
OHMYGOD!!!

lis...@my-deja.com wrote:

> This is for the old timers - anyone remember the Genuine Diamelles?
> Possibly the first a cappella group to do Kashmir, while in the same set
> they did the Underdog Theme Song, Hall of the Mountain King, and I Am A
> Truck Stop Waitress. Hysterical! Definitely my vote for best kept
> secret of a cappella. If I could bring back any of the disbanded

> groups, I'd pick them...
> Lisa Collins

Debbie, Scott, Moondog and Smelley Kelley! A bleeding riot! I had them
on a double bill w/the EDLOS several times. Totally wack! My fave song
is still "Who Keeps Feedin' Them Pigeons (Nasty Little Rats with Wings)?
followed by the totally stupid "Jaded," in which Scott rhymed that word
with everything from "hated" and "faded" to "Doris Day did!" I still
have my copy of the four (five?)-song cassette and drag it out for a
laugh or two, now and then. Their "Kashmir" was more of a joke than
anything else. The staging was silly, at least the six or seven times
I caught them live. Funny people!
KM

Deke Sharon

Nov 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/26/99
>anyone remember the Genuine Diamelles?
>Possibly the first a cappella group to do Kashmir

They were truly twisted! Thanks for the blast from the past, Lisa!

I wish I heard them do Kashmir a cappella - I only recall hearing it once, when
we shared a bill with them back in the early 90's. They performed it with Tuba
and one other instrument - was it kazoo? Anyone?

C - Deke Sharon, President -
A The Contemporary A Cappella Society • CASA...@aol.com
S To Contact CASA Headquarters: ca...@casa.orgwww.casa.org
A PMB #1449, 1850 Union #4, SF CA 94123 USA • (415) 563-5224

Ken Malucelli

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
to Deke Sharon
Hey, Deke.

Deke Sharon wrote:

> >anyone remember the Genuine Diamelles?
> >Possibly the first a cappella group to do Kashmir
>

> I wish I heard them do Kashmir a cappella

It's that way on the cassette.

> I only recall hearing it once, when
> we shared a bill with them back in the early 90's. They performed it with Tuba
> and one other instrument - was it kazoo? Anyone?

Must've been Debbie on kazoo. :-D
(Scott was the horn player, as I recall)

Jonathan Heiles

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
I've often thought that Vassar College, in Poughkeepsie, NY has some
tremendous a cappella talent. There are eight groups there, all at least
worth listening to. Some are exceptional, like the Night Owls (who boast
being the oldest contunuously-operating women's a capella group in the
world).

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Heiles
Poughkeepsie, New York

"Poughkeepsie? You don't open in Poughkeepsie. You CLOSE in Poughkeepsie"
George M. Cohan

Craig Smith

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Hanno Mueller <3hmu...@informatik.uni-hamburg.de> writes:

> Hug0731 <hug...@aol.com> wrote:
> : I'm talking about the groups that aren't quite in the "public eye"
> : churning out album after album
>
> I think that one of the best kept secrets is that there is great a
> cappella all over the world, not just around the corner, and that it's
> worth to check out what's going on out there.
>
> It's cheesy to promote one's own band(+) , so allow me to promote a
> few German groups that *I* think deserve a few international
> sales... These are purely personal opininions, partly biased because I
> mention friends of mine. Their albums rocked me.
>

> Vocaleros
> http://www.hanno.de/casa/en/band-info.html/Vocaleros/K%26ouml%3Bln/D

I saw Vocaleros last summer when they stopped in Trier. There were a
lot of fun. Their main strength, in my opinion, was their song
writing. Granted the purist might be a little disappointed when they
pull out a guitar or two, but it is still good music. Their singing
was made even better because a lot of it where originals (I still
recall a piece of text that struck home: "...this heart is sinking and
the captain is still on board." good song! Unfortunately I didn't see
it on any of their CDs).

(raig

--
Craig Smith 'Discussion is an exchange of knowledge;
Mitarbeiter, Informatik argument an exchange of ignorance.'

Lon Ponschock

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Ken Malucelli <K...@PrinceSF.com> writes:

>Hey, Deke.

>Deke Sharon wrote:
>>
>> >anyone remember the Genuine Diamelles?
>> >Possibly the first a cappella group to do Kashmir
>>
>> I wish I heard them do Kashmir a cappella

>It's that way on the cassette.

So who has this available?

I do not recall seeing it in the acappella catalogues.

lon

goto www.thehungersite.com to help feed the needy
at no cost to you.

Ken Malucelli

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
to Lon Ponschock
Lon, re:

Lon Ponschock wrote:

> >> I wish I heard them do Kashmir a cappella
>
> >It's that way on the cassette.
>
> So who has this available?
>
> I do not recall seeing it in the acappella catalogues.

It's *way* out of print, and I believe that both MAC and PAC will
list just the groups that have CD's but *might* offer cassettes as
an alternative.
KM

markg...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2012, 5:27:52 PM11/14/12
Amazing what the internet hangs on to - including threads like this one!

Back in the day, I was known as Junglebook (not MoonDog, Ken!) of The Genuine Diamelles.

What a fun band to be in!

Kashmir
http://youtu.be/sWj95gJmt2c

Kashmir (live at Hotel Utah)
http://youtu.be/rd477VXr6VU

Who Keeps Feeding These Pigeons?
http://youtu.be/DPfPEmUQZfI

Lather:
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1035187317968

Audio: Who Keeps Feeding These Pigeons House Remix by Jeff Left
http://www.bentstem.com/edphobes/Remixes/Genuine_Diamelles-Pigeon_House.mp3

Smelley and Scott went on to success in Hardcore honky-tonkers Red Meat, shown here live in France:
http://youtu.be/_eeJFOuRyrA