Newbie bike question

1 view

Alex Devlin

Jul 26, 2003, 12:51:29 PM7/26/03
I'm looking at maybe getting a bike in November.
I'm thinking about a Vstar 650 but wonder if it would have enough power.
I'm around 260 pounds and would do a lot of highway driving so should I
look at something bigger or would it carry me ok? Also what about taking my
wife on the back with me? Or would that be too much weight for the bike?

Alex Devlin

Calgary

Jul 26, 2003, 1:54:25 PM7/26/03

"Alex Devlin" <Al...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

Go big or go home.

Alan Moore

Jul 26, 2003, 4:14:26 PM7/26/03
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:51:29 GMT, Alex Devlin <Al...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>I'm looking at maybe getting a bike in November.

MSF course? Protective gear?

>I'm thinking about a Vstar 650 but wonder if it would have enough power.

It's got more power than you'll ever need. What it lacks is
maneuverability.

>I'm around 260 pounds and would do a lot of highway driving so should I
>look at something bigger or would it carry me ok? Also what about taking my
>wife on the back with me? Or would that be too much weight for the bike?

It should handle two up without difficulty. You, on the other hand,
probably want six months to a year of experience before taking up a
cruiser, or riding two up. We usually recommend starting with
something smaller, and other than a cruiser.

Al Moore
DoD 734

Alex Devlin

Jul 26, 2003, 7:08:00 PM7/26/03
Alan Moore <alan.s...@comcast.net> wrote in

> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:51:29 GMT, Alex Devlin <Al...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>>I'm looking at maybe getting a bike in November.
>
> MSF course? Protective gear?

Already looked into that. Will take the course and buy the gear when I go
for the bike.

>>I'm thinking about a Vstar 650 but wonder if it would have enough
>>power.
>
> It's got more power than you'll ever need. What it lacks is
> maneuverability.

I'm not a fast driver looking for sport handling. I understand you may
mean it handles like a boat but I kind of figured that would be the case
with a cruiser.

>>I'm around 260 pounds and would do a lot of highway driving so should
>>I look at something bigger or would it carry me ok? Also what about
>>taking my wife on the back with me? Or would that be too much weight
>>for the bike?
>
> It should handle two up without difficulty. You, on the other hand,
> probably want six months to a year of experience before taking up a
> cruiser, or riding two up. We usually recommend starting with
> something smaller, and other than a cruiser.

Noted, and I will take it under consideration. I was thinking about the
cruiser because it's really the only kind I like and I could afford. Do
you have some other recommendations? I'm thinking that something smaller
might be ok as long as it's not something like a 250.

Alex Devlin

Ghost Rider

Jul 26, 2003, 7:20:13 PM7/26/03
One fine day in rec.motorcycles, Alan Moore fired a few neurons and
wrote

> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:51:29 GMT, Alex Devlin <Al...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>>I'm looking at maybe getting a bike in November.
>
> MSF course? Protective gear?
>
>>I'm thinking about a Vstar 650 but wonder if it would have enough
>>power.
>
> It's got more power than you'll ever need. What it lacks is
> maneuverability.

You're kidding, right?

>>I'm around 260 pounds and would do a lot of highway driving so should
>>I look at something bigger or would it carry me ok? Also what about
>>taking my wife on the back with me? Or would that be too much weight
>>for the bike?
>
> It should handle two up without difficulty. You, on the other hand,
> probably want six months to a year of experience before taking up a
> cruiser, or riding two up. We usually recommend starting with
> something smaller, and other than a cruiser.

I bought the '03 V-Star 650 as a first-ever bike. No problemo. Three
months later I still find the power adequate, although it could use a
little more every now and then. I find it quite easy to ride, fun and
frugal. I haven't had a situation arise that I couldn't maneuver out of,
and it's light weight makes it a blast in the twisties. I've never ridden
a sport-bike, perhaps you are making a comparison there in maneuverability.
But as a newbie bike, the V-Star worked perfectly for me. Five days after
buying it I began riding it to work (75-mile round trip) and have now
logged 9300 miles on it. Personally, I'm glad I bought it.

--
Ghost Rider
aa # 2011

"How can you just obey?"
[Greg Lake, "Infinite Space" - Emerson, Lake & Palmer]

Doug Herr

Jul 26, 2003, 8:09:57 PM7/26/03
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:14:26 -0700, Alan Moore wrote:

[snip]

> It should handle two up without difficulty. You, on the other hand,
> probably want six months to a year of experience before taking up a
> cruiser, or riding two up. We usually recommend starting with
> something smaller, and other than a cruiser.

Hmmm...

My first bike was the 535 Virago. I still think it was a fine
first bike. Nice low weight and not too much power. Enough that
it lasted just fine and happy for a few years.

Alex is not a light weight so I suspect that the vstar 650 would
still be a medium to small cruiser for him and as such I bet it
would be a great first bike.

But if he does want to carry his wife (once he is fully
comfortable with the bike) I really think he may be wise to look
at something a little bit bigger.

--
Doug Herr
doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

Alan Moore

Jul 26, 2003, 11:04:34 PM7/26/03
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:08:00 GMT, Alex Devlin <Al...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Alan Moore <alan.s...@comcast.net> wrote in
>
>> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:51:29 GMT, Alex Devlin <Al...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking at maybe getting a bike in November.
>>
>> MSF course? Protective gear?
>>

>Already looked into that. Will take the course and buy the gear when I go
>for the bike.

Excellent.

>>>I'm thinking about a Vstar 650 but wonder if it would have enough
>>>power.
>>
>> It's got more power than you'll ever need. What it lacks is
>> maneuverability.
>
>I'm not a fast driver looking for sport handling. I understand you may
>mean it handles like a boat but I kind of figured that would be the case
>with a cruiser.

The point about handling is that you need to be able to maneuver. The
more experience you have, the less likely you are to need to maneuver
in a hurry. Thus, as a newbie, you may require greater maneuverability
than someone who's been commuting daily by motorcycle for years. The
recommendation for greater maneuverability isn't because you may want
it, but because you are more likely to _need_ it.

<snip>

>Noted, and I will take it under consideration. I was thinking about the
>cruiser because it's really the only kind I like and I could afford. Do
>you have some other recommendations? I'm thinking that something smaller
>might be ok as long as it's not something like a 250.

As you mentioned being a big guy, I'll recommend the Kawasaki Ninja
500. There are several standards that would do as well, the SV650
certainly has a following, for instance. But don't rule out the Ninja
250 right away. You can pick one up used, cheap, and pass it on in six
months or a year for what you paid for it, having aquired a
considerable body of skill and experience in the meantime.

Al Moore
DoD 734

Alex Devlin

Jul 26, 2003, 11:08:18 PM7/26/03
Doug Herr <do...@wombatz.invalid> wrote in

> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:14:26 -0700, Alan Moore wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> It should handle two up without difficulty. You, on the other hand,
>> probably want six months to a year of experience before taking up a
>> cruiser, or riding two up. We usually recommend starting with
>> something smaller, and other than a cruiser.
>
> Hmmm...
>
> My first bike was the 535 Virago. I still think it was a fine
> first bike. Nice low weight and not too much power. Enough that
> it lasted just fine and happy for a few years.
>
> Alex is not a light weight

Hey! I resemble that remark;-)

> so I suspect that the vstar 650 would
> still be a medium to small cruiser for him and as such I bet it
> would be a great first bike.
>
> But if he does want to carry his wife (once he is fully
> comfortable with the bike) I really think he may be wise to look
> at something a little bit bigger.

I'm starting to think that too. There is a chance that she may take the
MSF course with me and get herself a bike. She saw a Honda 250 (Rebel I
think) while I was looking at the Vstar and the Honda Shadow. She does
have a tendancy to change her mind a lot :-) so she might decide not to
persue this idea. However, I have suggested to her that she takes the
course with me and then decides if she wants to get a bike or not. I
figure she'll have a taste for the bike and get over her nerves a bit so
she can make an informed decision about becoming a leather clad biker
chick (my fantasy, not hers) or a 'Big Gulp' drinking cager who I will
avoid at all costs on the road. (Ain't love wonderful?)

Alex Devlin

Joseph Oberlander

Jul 27, 2003, 12:16:08 AM7/27/03
Ghost Rider wrote:

> I bought the '03 V-Star 650 as a first-ever bike. No problemo. Three
> months later I still find the power adequate, although it could use a
> little more every now and then. I find it quite easy to ride, fun and
> frugal. I haven't had a situation arise that I couldn't maneuver out of,
> and it's light weight makes it a blast in the twisties. I've never ridden
> a sport-bike, perhaps you are making a comparison there in maneuverability.
> But as a newbie bike, the V-Star worked perfectly for me. Five days after
> buying it I began riding it to work (75-mile round trip) and have now
> logged 9300 miles on it. Personally, I'm glad I bought it.

Also consider the Suzuki Savage - it's pretty simmilar to the V-Star,
but a bit lighter at 350 lbs. Great inexpensive first bike. Get one
a couple of years used in minty condition and pay maybe $2500 at most.

Next, remove the sissy bar. Then, replace the exhaust with a Supertrap
for about $250 last I checked - and suddenly it jumps from 28hp to ~33hp.
No re-jetting or other mods required. Suddenly it becomes a nice little
sleeper comparable to most other 650cc cruisers. For a lot less money.

Joseph Oberlander

Jul 27, 2003, 12:25:00 AM7/27/03
Alex Devlin wrote:

> I'm starting to think that too. There is a chance that she may take the
> MSF course with me and get herself a bike. She saw a Honda 250 (Rebel I
> think) while I was looking at the Vstar and the Honda Shadow. She does
> have a tendancy to change her mind a lot :-) so she might decide not to
> persue this idea. However, I have suggested to her that she takes the
> course with me and then decides if she wants to get a bike or not. I
> figure she'll have a taste for the bike and get over her nerves a bit so
> she can make an informed decision about becoming a leather clad biker
> chick (my fantasy, not hers) or a 'Big Gulp' drinking cager who I will
> avoid at all costs on the road. (Ain't love wonderful?)

Bikes. Addictive.

She'll first off, smoke you on the MSF test and then want her own bike.
Trust me on this - it's Karma ;)

Rebel with a bigger engine? Suzuki Savage is extremely close. My
personal pick for a cheap beginning cruiser, especially if used.

Next would be the Virago 535 and then a Vulcan 500LTD. The 535 is
pretty much THE beginner's cruiser. Shaft drive helps a lot, too.
Really a get on and ride bike - almost scooter-like in how easy it
is to maintain and ride. 2000 was the last year, though.

New - the 500LTD comes very close. Great bike for a great price.
Much whompage on the Hondas. Just a better bike. Of course,
a detuned Ninja 500 engine kind of helps. 40HP is more than
enough for a beginner.

Of course, those are cruisers. My personal all-time favorite is a
MZ Skorpion, which is a "standard" bike. Light, agile, superb
handling, and more than enough power(42HP on a dyno, not gross
in a brochure(48 stated on the manufacturer's site). All the
goodies as well, like a tach and dual disc brakes. 2002 was the
last year they imported them, so they are great used choices.

Wayne Crannell

Jul 27, 2003, 12:59:19 AM7/27/03
In article <3F2351D...@earthlink.net>,
Joseph Oberlander <josephob...@earthlink.net> wrote:

I live near Dallas...there aren't any used within 100 miles...at least
not for the past few weeks in the Dallas Morning News or my town paper.
I'm leaning toward a new 2003.
--
Wayne Crannell

Ghost Rider

Jul 27, 2003, 2:51:10 AM7/27/03
One fine day in rec.motorcycles, Wayne Crannell fired a few neurons and
wrote

> In article <3F2351D...@earthlink.net>,

Don't forget to check Ebay and Cycle Trader for ads in your area. My
brother bookmarked an ad for a BMW K1200LT, then jumped on it the morning
the guy dropped his price suddenly. The bike was about 300 miles away, it
made for a real nice cruise home, and he got an almost new Beemer for 13
grand.

Bob Mann

Jul 27, 2003, 1:15:43 PM7/27/03
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 03:04:34 GMT, Alan Moore
<alan.s...@comcast.net> wrote:

>There are several standards that would do as well, the SV650

Nah, they have a strange affinity for trees.
--
Bob Mann

"Oh Lord. Bless this thy hand grenade, that with it, Thou mayest
blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy. Amen."

Cam Penner

Jul 27, 2003, 2:01:54 PM7/27/03
In article <Xns93C4A6EC66079...@127.0.0.1>,
ghos...@ghost.com says...

> One fine day in rec.motorcycles, Alan Moore fired a few neurons and
> wrote
>
> > On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:51:29 GMT, Alex Devlin <Al...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> >>I'm thinking about a Vstar 650 but wonder if it would have enough
> >>power.
> >
> > It's got more power than you'll ever need. What it lacks is
> > maneuverability.
>
> You're kidding, right?

About the power or the maneuverability? It has more than you'll ever
NEED in terms of power. You may WANT more, but it has more than enough
oomph to get out of it's own way.

As to maneuverability? It's a cruiser layout, so it's got a natural
disadvantage. It may be "nimble" in cruiserland, but compared to a
sportbike or a standard it's going to be "pigish".

Heck, my RZ is piggish by todays standards...
--
Cam
'89 RZ 350

jenner

Jul 27, 2003, 2:13:17 PM7/27/03
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:51:29 GMT, Alex Devlin <Al...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>I'm looking at maybe getting a bike in November.
>I'm thinking about a Vstar 650 but wonder if it would have enough power.

If you are a new rider, that is the least of your worries.

Joseph Oberlander

Jul 27, 2003, 5:30:01 PM7/27/03
Wayne Crannell wrote:

>>Next, remove the sissy bar. Then, replace the exhaust with a Supertrap
>>for about $250 last I checked - and suddenly it jumps from 28hp to ~33hp.
>>No re-jetting or other mods required. Suddenly it becomes a nice little
>>sleeper comparable to most other 650cc cruisers. For a lot less money.
>>
> I live near Dallas...there aren't any used within 100 miles...at least
> not for the past few weeks in the Dallas Morning News or my town paper.
> I'm leaning toward a new 2003.

With the 2004s coming out - you should be able to get a decent deal.

Wayne Crannell

Jul 27, 2003, 5:39:08 PM7/27/03
In article <3F24442A...@earthlink.net>,
Joseph Oberlander <josephob...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Wayne Crannell wrote:
> >>
> > I live near Dallas...there aren't any used within 100 miles...at least
> > not for the past few weeks in the Dallas Morning News or my town paper.
> > I'm leaning toward a new 2003.
>
> With the 2004s coming out - you should be able to get a decent deal.

That's what I keep telling myself. The numbers are crunched, so I'm just
waitng for the MSF and a license so I can go buy it and ride the thing
home (with a big sh*t eatin' grin on my face).

Ain't that naive, newbie-dreaming great?
--
Wayne Crannell

Joseph Oberlander

Jul 27, 2003, 10:09:58 PM7/27/03
Wayne Crannell wrote:

> That's what I keep telling myself. The numbers are crunched, so I'm just
> waitng for the MSF and a license so I can go buy it and ride the thing
> home (with a big sh*t eatin' grin on my face).

Eh - that grin is part of the deal. I've seen 40 year riders get that
grin when they get their new bike :)

Nic

Jul 29, 2003, 8:39:32 AM7/29/03
do yourself a favor, just go for the 1100.

I started on a 650, put 9000km in two months, and trade up to an 1100.

i should have done that to begin with.

enjoy