ROTFL on a _BIKE_!

Speedy Mercer

Jan 10, 1994, 10:38:20 AM1/10/94
Lynn came by my office Thursday and said "let's ride!" It was windy and cool
but not cold and it didn't take just a bunch of arm twisting before I was out
the door!

We rode the 20 miles to my place and ate before we went "exploring." I like
to travel the local back roads and see where they lead. I only had an hour of
"spare time" so we decided to ride out 30 minutes and then come back
frome wherever that was.

The road was a nice 2 lane blacktop, smooth and clean (except for the mud in a
few corners from local logging trucks). The trip out was uneventful and
pleasant. I lead and Lynn followed. Lynn rides a 1990 EX500 and has < 2
months biking experience. I ride a 81 GS850G (Simi-touring) and have 27 years
experience in the saddle. I set a pace of 65mph. The locals let you get away
with 10 over MOST OF THE TIME so that's how fast we went. B-) BTW, I do not
slow down for curves, Lynn does so it did "slow us down" just a bit.

After we reached our turn-around point ( a VERY small town with 1 gas
station), we set out for home. On the way "in" we had passed a Sherrif who
ignored us (we WERE doing 65 in a 55 at the time). On the way "out", we came
to a real nice stright stretch of road with no one in sight. I nailed it. I
hit the DoD nominal as I was comming to the end of the stright. Lynn heard me
blast off and followed suit... till he noticed he was doing 90 and, in his
words, "I was still getting "smaller". Lynn backed off and was slowing down
gradually about the time I grabed a double hand full of brakes. I shut down
from 100+ to 65 in the minimum possible distance just as that same sheriff
rounded the curve in front of me! As he passed by he just smiled and waved.
At this point, Lynn sees the cop and is doing ~70 and has heart failure, I
round the curve and am laughing so hard, I am afraid I am going to fall off
the bike! If that cop had rounded that curve 1 or 2 seconds earlier, I would
have given him a thrill!. (or vise-versa!)

We got home and had another good laugh before heading back into town. In all,
it was a good ride.

ObNyaNya: I rode in again today. It still ain't THAT cold here and it's
still dry too!

- I love my country but I fear my government. -
---=== DoD#8177(KotSFAQ) = Technician(Dr. Speed) .NOT. Student ===---
"Stop that or I shall have to hurt you." Pinkey and The Brain, Animaniacs

bcl...@fisheries.gov.bc.ca

Jan 11, 1994, 10:39:21 AM1/11/94
In article <speedy.21...@engr.latech.edu>

spe...@engr.latech.edu (Speedy Mercer) writes:

>ObNyaNya: I rode in again today. It still ain't THAT cold here and it's
>still dry too!

Big deal: I live about 3000 miles northwest of you, and I rode in as well.
Yesterday it was +12 C (about 55 F) and cloudy. Sure makes me glad I don't work
in Winnipeg.

| Bruce Clarke e-mail: bcl...@galaxy.gov.bc.ca |
| OR bcl...@fisheries.env.gov.bc.ca |

Jorg Klinger

Jan 11, 1994, 1:51:30 PM1/11/94
In <16F3B6BAES...@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca> bcl...@fisheries.gov.bc.ca writes:

>In article <speedy.21...@engr.latech.edu>
>spe...@engr.latech.edu (Speedy Mercer) writes:
>

>>ObNyaNya: I rode in again today. It still ain't THAT cold here and it's
>>still dry too!
>>

>Big deal: I live about 3000 miles northwest of you, and I rode in as well.
>Yesterday it was +12 C (about 55 F) and cloudy. Sure makes me glad I don't work
>in Winnipeg.

Big Deal!
Last Sunday had a high of -17 C (about 0 F) and I still got in about
120 miles of vicious twisties. Sure glad I don't live in Vancouver where
the rivers are so damn wet.

__
Jorg Klinger | CR500 | You can't make a pig into
Arch. & Eng. Services | * * * | a race horse, but you can
UManitoba, Man. Ca. | "Lost Horizons" | make a really, really
| fast pig.

Steve Galle

Jan 11, 1994, 2:02:05 PM1/11/94
Speedy Mercer (spe...@engr.latech.edu) wrote:

[...]

A couple of sundays ago the group I was riding with gave a trooper just that
thrill. We were on the 150 (A nice twisty road not to far from Ojai,
which is not to far from Song Dog, for you Jousters) keeping up a good
steady 65-120, when out of nowhere a siren went off. Oops. So the cop
pulls up to the front of the group, and pulls us all over. You should
have seen the smile on his face as he walked up to the leader. "Sir, do
you know what I pulled you over for?," he asked. We had a pretty good
idea; the speed limit on the road was 45. We had no idea what to say
though. After a painful series of "uh, mmm, errr"s he popped the
surprise. "I'm pulling you over because you passed on the double yellow."
The cop proceded to make a few comments about the two bikes that had been
caught behind the car we had passed, and how they took off at "Mach 5" to
catch up to the front of the pack once they did pass. When the cop found
out that the leaders registration had expired, he threw out the passing
ticket, and let him off with a fixit ticket for the registration. We all
breathed a HUGE sigh of relief, although we were curious as to why he had
been so nice. He said that he was not out to spoil anyones day, and that
all he had wanted to do was slow us down a bit. Why can't they all carry
that attitude?

--
Steve Galle DoD# 1130, KotEGFCL.
ste...@wavefront.wti.com FZ750 EGFC #003

Don Fearn

Jan 11, 1994, 3:52:54 PM1/11/94
In article <2gusfi$q...@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>, kli...@cc.umanitoba.ca
(Jorg Klinger) brags:

|> In <16F3B6BAES...@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca> bcl...@fisheries.gov.bc.ca writes:

|> >Big deal: I live about 3000 miles northwest of you, and I rode in as well.
|> >Yesterday it was +12 C (about 55 F) and cloudy. Sure makes me glad I don't work
|> >in Winnipeg.
|> >

|> Big Deal!
|> Last Sunday had a high of -17 C (about 0 F) and I still got in about
|> 120 miles of vicious twisties. Sure glad I don't live in Vancouver where
|> the rivers are so damn wet.

Whacking transaction!! ;^) It was down to -22 F the other morning.

I cast a longing look at Anitra in the garage and I clearly heard, "I'm in
hibernation; don't even think it." It causes me joy that I no longer live
in _Northern_ Minnesota.

--
_ _ _ _
| Pooder - Don Fearn - Rochester, MN || Asleep in my stable: |

sean kerns

Jan 12, 1994, 9:41:08 AM1/12/94

You guys BOTH suck...8-)
It's been 20F and icy here for the last three weeks, and it's
supposed to get to -1F on Saturday.
50F.... sheesh!

bcl...@wildlife.env.gov.bc.ca

Jan 12, 1994, 12:13:04 PM1/12/94

kli...@cc.umanitoba.ca (Jorg Klinger) writes:
>>In article <speedy.21...@engr.latech.edu>
>>spe...@engr.latech.edu (Speedy Mercer) writes:
>>>
>>>ObNyaNya: I rode in again today. It still ain't THAT cold here and it's
>>>still dry too!
>>
>>Big deal: I live about 3000 miles northwest of you, and I rode in as well.
>>Yesterday it was +12 C (about 55 F) and cloudy. Sure makes me glad I don't
work
>>in Winnipeg.
>
> Big Deal!
> Last Sunday had a high of -17 C (about 0 F) and I still got in about
>120 miles of vicious twisties. Sure glad I don't live in Vancouver where
>the rivers are so damn wet.
Gee, something about that smells kind of FISHY to me. ;-)

You spent say two hours riding around at that temperature huh? Even with
electric gloves, etc. I find this pretty hard to believe.

The coldest I've ridden is -10 C for 30 minutes, and I won't do that again
unless it's a matter of life-and-death!

Charles M. Robinson

Jan 12, 1994, 1:47:34 PM1/12/94
sean kerns (drk...@sgidrqa.sdrc.com) wrote:
: >You guys BOTH suck...8-)

: >It's been 20F and icy here for the last three weeks, and it's
: >supposed to get to -1F on Saturday.
: >50F.... sheesh!

Okay, if it's a contest: Predicted low here in Mpls on Friday is -20F.
Our high temp might get close to 0F if we're lucky!

--
+-----------------------------------------+-------------------------------+
| Charles Robinson Mpls, Minnesota | "You can't have everything... |

David Svoboda

Jan 12, 1994, 4:27:19 PM1/12/94
In article <16F3C81C1S...@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca>,

<bcl...@wildlife.env.gov.bc.ca> wrote:

|The coldest I've ridden is -10 C for 30 minutes, and I won't do that again
|unless it's a matter of life-and-death!

Wuss!

Dave Svoboda (svo...@ranger.rtsg.mot.com) | Recipient by overwhelming
90 Concours 1000 (Mmmmmmmmmm!) | acclaim of the coveted 1993
84 RZ 350 (Ring Ding) (Woops!) | Fourth Annual Iron Horse
78 CB400T Hawk (Baby Honda) | Joust and Ride *Squid Award*!
AMA 583905 DoD #0330 COG 939 (Chicago) | "I ain't admittin' nuthin'!"

Fred Oberbuchner

Jan 13, 1994, 1:39:17 AM1/13/94
>>> [cold weather whining deleted] <<<

Oh yeah, when I was a kid we had to ride to school for 200 miles
barefoot, naked, and playing the drums ALL WINTER LONG!!!

At least you guys can still ride!
(somehow I always figured snow, ice and bikes never to go together)

Regards,
Fred Oberbuchner
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
(Winterpeg, Manisnowba)

Dean Cookson

Jan 13, 1994, 8:31:32 AM1/13/94
>The coldest I've ridden is -10 C for 30 minutes, and I won't do that again
>unless it's a matter of life-and-death!

Wimp!

--
| Dean Cookson / dcoo...@mitre.org / 617 271-2714 | DoD #207 AMA #573534 |
| The MITRE Corp. Burlington Rd., Bedford, Ma. 01730 | KotNML / KotB |

Dean Cookson

Jan 13, 1994, 8:32:59 AM1/13/94
In article <60...@heimdall.sdrc.com>,

sean kerns <drk...@sgidrqa.sdrc.com> wrote:

>You guys BOTH suck...8-)
>It's been 20F and icy here for the last three weeks, and it's
>supposed to get to -1F on Saturday.
>50F.... sheesh!

Cold doesn't bother me, that's what the nice people down at Widder are for.
What pisses me off is that I haven't seen bare, dry road in 3 weeks...

Dean

Mark Hodgson

Jan 13, 1994, 5:31:55 AM1/13/94
David Svoboda (svo...@rtsg.mot.com) wrote:
: In article <16F3C81C1S...@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca>,

: <bcl...@wildlife.env.gov.bc.ca> wrote:
: |
: |The coldest I've ridden is -10 C for 30 minutes, and I won't do that again
: |unless it's a matter of life-and-death!

: Wuss!

Ah, what he didn't tell you is that a matter of life and death is the
cute red-head who lives next door who asks him to ride down to the mall
and collect something for her - or was that another thread?

Mark

Mark Hodgson DoD #1026
Uniplex, Hemel Hempstead, UK Ed Green Fan Club #1026

m...@uniplex.co.uk Kawasaki ZZR-600

Jorg Klinger

Jan 13, 1994, 5:09:00 PM1/13/94
In <16F3C81C1S...@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca> bcl...@wildlife.env.gov.bc.ca writes:

>In article <2gusfi$q...@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>
>kli...@cc.umanitoba.ca (Jorg Klinger) writes:

>>>Big deal: I live about 3000 miles northwest of you, and I rode in as well.
>>>Yesterday it was +12 C (about 55 F) and cloudy. Sure makes me glad I don't
>work
>>>in Winnipeg.
>>
>> Big Deal!
>> Last Sunday had a high of -17 C (about 0 F) and I still got in about
>>120 miles of vicious twisties. Sure glad I don't live in Vancouver where
>>the rivers are so damn wet.
>Gee, something about that smells kind of FISHY to me. ;-)
>
>You spent say two hours riding around at that temperature huh? Even with
>electric gloves, etc. I find this pretty hard to believe.
>
>The coldest I've ridden is -10 C for 30 minutes, and I won't do that again
>unless it's a matter of life-and-death!

Probably more like three hours.

Actually the coldest I've ridden in this winter was -27C (-17F)
but THAT was no fun. The cold drained the strength from my arms, and I
felt as if I would break if I fell. 30 min max.

Snowmobile suit, face mask, goggles, full face MX, 3 layers of
socks in my big buddies borrowed boots, and most importantly...

_Hippo Hands_.

Electrics on a CR? I don't think so.

Riding on ice and snow is very physical so you generate a lot of heat.

Speedy Mercer

Jan 14, 1994, 9:12:45 AM1/14/94
I rode in today... wasn't but 34f out there. Not bad at all, if yer dressed
right!

I was wearing my "modified*" Winchester insulated cover-alls and a
Throat coat as well as a pair of Author-Fulmer winter touring gloves. The
Zuke' is equiped with a Plexifaring III to keep the wind-chill down to
managable levels. (With my "normal" speed in the 75-80 mph range, THIS HELPS!)

* Lee "Let's Ride" Falta added some cute raindeer velcro closures to the leg
and sleeve openings for me.

Samuel T Rhee

Jan 17, 1994, 11:58:45 PM1/17/94
It's actually not the cold on the body that's so bad, it's the freezing roads.
Riding yesterday in 10 degrees F was OK for about an hour, but you had to
watch out for the bits of water and slush that froze on the streets. (Although
I have to admit that NYC has done a pretty good job this year clearing the
streets, considering the storms.)

Wore compression shorts, t-shirt, wool union suit, wool turtleneck, wool
sweater, wool socks over large boots, leather jacket, neoprene gaiter (key),
and the heaviest thinsulate riding gloves I have. (Note: electrics would
have been nice, but not necessary if not riding for more than 2 hours.)

The only real problem was the helmet, a Shoei X-8 Air. Even with all the
vents closed, there was still some ventilation coming through the top somewhere
(as it is supposed to do, I guess). However, at 75mph on the West Side High-
way, your top gets chilled pretty thoroughly. I suppose I'll take the vents,
though, since I'll be needing them this summer.

With a wind chill of -20 to -30, highway speeds cause a slow but steady
loss of heat, especially from your legs. You don't notice it at first, but
after a while, you notice the hypothermia setting in.

st...@columbia.edu

'93 Seca II

Andy Woodward

Jan 16, 1994, 7:51:50 AM1/16/94

> With a wind chill of -20 to -30, highway speeds cause a slow but steady
>loss of heat, especially from your legs. You don't notice it at first, but
>after a while, you notice the hypothermia setting in.

This is one thing that pisses me off about the Aerostich. The leg zippers with
no flaps worth talking about make great air scoops......

Guest user

Jan 17, 1994, 10:07:56 PM1/17/94
In article <speedy.23...@engr.latech.edu> spe...@engr.latech.edu (Speedy Mercer) writes:
>I rode in today... wasn't but 34f out there. Not bad at all, if yer dressed
>right!

I went out Saturday on the CBR. Highs in the 20's. Gotta love that Widder.
At least we get to ride, occasionally. Not like those poor bastards
up nawath. (that's north with an accent) :-)

Peace and warmth!

= Carey Nation '93 Yamaha Seca II =
= '20s Hendersons '93 Honda CBR900RR =
= DoD #983 AMA #300027 =
= Disclaimer: Your disclaimer here! =
= The Fano Factor, where theory meets reality. =

Guest user

Jan 18, 1994, 9:45:21 PM1/18/94

>'93 Seca II

Yeah, and the Seca dosen't have the greatest wind protection, either.

Mike Sturdevant

Jan 18, 1994, 9:15:45 PM1/18/94
In article <2hfjqc...@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> gu...@onripx.uucp (Guest user) writes:
>In article <speedy.23...@engr.latech.edu> spe...@engr.latech.edu (Speedy Mercer) writes:
>>I rode in today... wasn't but 34f out there. Not bad at all, if yer dressed
>>right!
>>
> I went out Saturday on the CBR. Highs in the 20's. Gotta love that Widder.
> At least we get to ride, occasionally. Not like those poor bastards
> up nawath. (that's north with an accent) :-)

You must be thinking of the girls. Those of use with BIG KAHUNAS
spent yesterday evening grooming the driveway for mini bike riding. Yep,
six inches of hardpack and 5 foot walls on four sides make a great mini
oval. -7 F this morning before work - I did forty or fifty laps before
trying to start the truck to go to work. Too bad the hardpack tears up so
quick, real ice doesn't need grooming so often.

Go fast. Take chances.
Mike S.