First bike recommendations...NYC instructors..blah..blah

Jim Stinnett

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
asd <jo...@ldp.com> wrote in message
news:k5ub1t4piabvkvlaq...@4ax.com...

> I'll looking into getting bike lessons.

> At that same notion, I'm budgeting around 7 k for a bike.
> man..the r1200 is sure a bute though.
>
> Any recommendations..etc

My recommedation is to read Reed Kennedy's thread regarding his first day
riding in a congested city on a brand new liter bike with 25 miles of
experience. Then consider yourself recommended. Blah blah blah

--
jim stinnett
VTR#0631

M. J. Freeman

Nov 18, 2000, 12:03:19 AM11/18/00
asd wrote:

> At that same notion, I'm budgeting around 7 k for a bike.
> man..the r1200 is sure a bute though.
>
> Any recommendations..etc

If you're buying a cruiser or touring bike:
Spend $300-500 on gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, etc).
Spend $3000 on a 750cc or smaller used bike.
Save the other $3500 for your next bike.

If you're buying a sport-bike or a standard:
Spend $500-1000 on gear.
Spend $3000 on a 500cc or smaller used bike.
Save the other $3000 for your next bike.

--
Michael J. Freeman (a.k.a., Pi)
mfree...@earthlink.net Oxford, OH

skip martin

Nov 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/18/00
The Motorcycle Safety School offers a 3 day class of motorcycle instruction.
They have a URL at http://www.motorcyclesafetyschool.com
Their last class of the year is starting on December 1st.. Upon completion
they waver the taking of the road test. All courses are given at Yonkers
Raceway.

asd <jo...@ldp.com> wrote in message

> I'll looking into getting bike lessons.
> Would anyone have any *recommendations* on good
> reputable places to take them. Located in NYC. Any shops
> in brooklyn or the city that's good.

Peter Ingason

Nov 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/18/00

"asd" <jo...@ldp.com> wrote in message

> I'll looking into getting bike lessons.
> Would anyone have any *recommendations* on good
> reputable places to take them. Located in NYC. Any shops
> in brooklyn or the city that's good.
>
> At that same notion, I'm budgeting around 7 k for a bike.
> man..the r1200 is sure a bute though.
>
> Any recommendations..etc

Clearly you have already made up your mind so anything we say will not
really sink in...

For the record, something used, <500cc with no plastic is what I would
recommend.

--
Peter
'00 FZS600 Fazer

Tilman Göttke

Nov 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/18/00
> At that same notion, I'm budgeting around 7 k for a bike.
> man..the r1200 is sure a bute though.
>
> Any recommendations..etc

I recommend you invest $200 in a good flamesuit before you ask the group for
comments on a r1200 as a first bike. Invest 1,800 in safety gear and lessons
and such, 3000 in a bike and the remaining 2000 bucks in a big barrel with
gas. When this barrel is empty, you will hopefully be experienced and
competent enough to get a bike that corresponds with your riding skills.

Have fun, ride safe.

Tilman
Landau, Germany
Ducati ST4

Demetrios

Nov 18, 2000, 9:40:12 PM11/18/00
On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:34:17 -0500, asd <jo...@ldp.com> wrote:

>I'll looking into getting bike lessons.
>Would anyone have any *recommendations* on good
>reputable places to take them. Located in NYC. Any shops
>in brooklyn or the city that's good.
>

>At that same notion, I'm budgeting around 7 k for a bike.
>man..the r1200 is sure a bute though.
>
>Any recommendations..etc

Sure TRAMA'S auto school. They're the only licensed MSF course in the
entire godawful NYC area and it's recommended to wait on their list
for the next three aeons as opposed to visiting any of the other con
artists plying their trade as motorcycle instructors.

If you're buying a new bike I'd also look into insurance costs and a
place to park it indoors. Most garages do *not* take motorcycles and
leaving your shiny bike on the street is not a good idea. If it
doesn't get stolen it most certainly will be knocked over by some
moron trying to parallel park their bus-sized SUV. Eventually this
get's more expensive than paying the ridiculous parking fees. Also
note that if you're in Brooklyn it has the highest insurance rates in
the nation and the premiums will cost you as much as a new car would.

AKSzafran

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
Ever noticed that people in NYC tend to drive beaters, and the newer cars stand
out. Save yourself some pain, and buy a used (late '80s?) Japanese bike. It
should have fairly low mileage and be in good mechanical shape, but it can, and
should look like a total piece of sh*t. Oh, and try to park it next to that
nice new Ducati ... Doing things that way will give you peace of mind (as a
new rider, you will accidently drop the bike) and lower insurance premiums
(though you might not be able to get collision on an old bike). You will have
almost as much fun as if you had bought a new bike, especially because City
traffic seldom moves at an exceedingly rapid pace anyway.

Drew " '82 XS-650, looking for a more reliable UJM, now that I'm over the
"training wheels" stage. " Szafran

Some Guy on a Bike

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:24:34 -0500, asd <jo...@ldp.com> wrote:

> I'll looking into getting bike lessons.

<snip>

You've posted this something like 5 times in the past 4 days.
Please stop it. Once is quite enough.
Adam Wade "The only way I'll stop riding
CWRA #4 SDWL #2 is if I stop breathing."
CIMC #1 DoD #2009 LOMP #2 1990 Zephyr 550 (Daphne)
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent
those of my employer in any form.

Daniel Cunningham

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
As for instruction, TRAMA's MSF course is essential. In addition, I took
lessons at Brooklyn auto school on 18th and McDonald Aves. The instructors
(in 1996) were good, and they were also the only school that had radios in
the helmet, so the instructor could communicate with you. They are also
very protective. During one lesson, a moron looked like he was going to
blow a red light and kill me. I braked and made a right turn away from this
guy, and the instructor sped up in his car (they follow behind you) and
stopped in the intersection in front of the other guy (who did stop, late).
He was willing to take a crash to protect me!
Dan

> I'll looking into getting bike lessons.

Emore

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00

asd wrote:

> I'll looking into getting bike lessons.
> Would anyone have any *recommendations* on good
> reputable places to take them. Located in NYC. Any shops
> in brooklyn or the city that's good.
>
> At that same notion, I'm budgeting around 7 k for a bike.
> man..the r1200 is sure a bute though.
>
> Any recommendations..etc

Please post this about 20 more times.

Some Guy on a Bike

Nov 19, 2000, 11:17:44 PM11/19/00
On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:35:22 -0500, Emore <em...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

> Please post this about 20 more times.

You ass. He'll take you seriously, you know...

Emore

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00

Some Guy on a Bike wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:35:22 -0500, Emore <em...@mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Please post this about 20 more times.
>
> You ass. He'll take you seriously, you know...

Sad thing is, you're prolly right! Is he waiting for the answer that he's
already decided on to be validated by someone he's never met, or what?

Emore

Some Guy on a Bike

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:53:52 -0500, Emore <em...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>>> Please post this about 20 more times.

>> You ass. He'll take you seriously, you know...

> Sad thing is, you're prolly right! Is he waiting for the answer that he's

> already decided on to be validated by someone he's never met, or what?

I think he likes hearing his own voice.

Demetrios

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
On 19 Nov 2000 16:44:40 GMT, aksz...@aol.com (AKSzafran) wrote:

>Ever noticed that people in NYC tend to drive beaters, and the newer cars stand
>out.

Where'd you notice that? I've always been surprised at how older the
vehicle "fleet" gets when I leave the NYC limits. Life on cars is hard
and most expire after wrestling with the potholes and dumb drivers for
five years. And then of course you have the countless businessmen with
their tax-deducted leases and yuppie whores needing the latest and
greatest.

The actual payment on a new car is nothing in comparison with the
other costs. $300-400/month on parking, sky high liability insurance,
etc... makes owning new only fractionally less affordable. If you
don't have the money for all that you just don't bother with car
ownership which works out quite well in a city with real public
transportation and taxi service.

Dan Nitschke

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
Some Guy on a Bike wrote:

> I think he likes hearing his own voice.

He has speech conversion software?
--

/* dan: The Anti-Ged, BOF #26, GAGARPHOF (tm) #1, LCDB (tm) #1 */

Dan Nitschke = peDA...@idiom.com = (.)@(.....).net
\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\?\
An ounce of perception; a pound of obscure. Process
information at half-speed. -- Rush, "Vital Signs"

AKSzafran

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
Well said, 'specially the bit about NYC actually having a decent public
transportation system. If only every US city has a system as good as that of
many of the Northeast's larger cities.

Anyways, I was including the boroughs in my argument, and my reference point is
probably somewhat warped due to growing up in SUVland aka. Summit, NJ, where a
(1) car older than 3.3 years old is not considered a car. God forbid what they
think of my much abused beater XS-650 - except for offering to give me the
rights to their first born (2) in exchange for being able to ride it up and
down the street at redline in 5th.

Drew "Atypical Suburbanite" Szafran

(1) Non-Volvo/BMW and non-SUV
(2) Would I really want the rights to a Typical Suburban Kid(R/tm). I might
actually have to take care of it. Run! Hide! You can ride my bike! Just
don't give me .... awwwwwwwwww

Rick Damiani

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
wrote:

>Some Guy on a Bike wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:35:22 -0500, Emore <em...@mindspring.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Please post this about 20 more times.
>>
>> You ass. He'll take you seriously, you know...
>

>Sad thing is, you're prolly right! Is he waiting for the answer that he's
>already decided on to be validated by someone he's never met, or what?

Maybe he's hoping that a manual recount will change the outcome...

--
A host is a host from coast to coast ..................... Rick Damiani
and no one will talk to a host that's close .... ri...@nospam.paton.com