Is the cruiser on its way out?

Tim Kreitz

Apr 12, 2007, 12:27:30 AM4/12/07
There is an article by Fred Rau in the April 2007 edition of
Motorcycle Consumer News that points out some interestiing stats
regarding cruiser sales. While they still make up the bulk of US
motorcycle sales, Fred points out that they are in the midst of a 4-
year state of decline as a bike category. All this at a time when
motorcycling is experiencing a 26-year high in popularity. Hat tip to
Richard at Two-Wheeled Texans for the following synopsis of Fred's
data:

- Total cruiser sales have flattened and, for some manufacturers, have
already declined

- The industry reports that the value of Harleys has recently and
suddenly dropped by nearly 15 percent across the board, which is the
biggest downturn in the value of a used Harley in over 20 years

- BMW has abandoned its cruiser line due to poor sales

- Two smaller cruiser manufacturerss have gone belly up (Excelsior-
Henderson & Indian)

- Victory's latest motorcycle is not another cruiser -- it's a touring
bike

- Manufacturers have stepped up sale prices and rebates, and some are
offering discounts of up to $5000 per bike on cruisers

- Yamaha is heavily discounting the Roadliner and Stratoliner models
that were so hot just two years ago

- The Harley V-Rod has completely tanked, going from up to $3000 over
MSRP a couple of years ago, to having hefty rebates and discounts
today

- Honda has dropped the Valkyrie, and sales of the once-mighty VTX are
steadily declining

- Motorcycle rentals of cruisers (which is the best indicator of
future sales) have declined steadily for four years. But rental of
touring bikes, in particular the Gold Wing, is rising sharply.

Seems that cruiser popularity is fading fast. I wonder what the true
impetus of the market change has been.

Cheers,

Tim Kreitz
2003 ZX7R
2000 ZX6R
http://www.timkreitz.com

sqidbait

Apr 12, 2007, 1:01:52 AM4/12/07
On Apr 11, 9:27 pm, "Tim Kreitz" <timkre...@yahoo.com> wrote:
[snip]

> - The industry reports that the value of Harleys has recently and
> suddenly dropped by nearly 15 percent across the board, which is the
> biggest downturn in the value of a used Harley in over 20 years
[snip]

All I can say is: it's about time!

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.motorcycles/msg/27f196ed55e0f590?hl=en&

The offer still stands: you have a clean, low mileage Road King?

I'll give ya 4K for it!

-- Michael

blazinglaser

Apr 12, 2007, 2:53:44 AM4/12/07
On 11 Apr 2007 21:27:30 -0700, "Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>- Total cruiser sales have flattened and, for some manufacturers, have
>already declined

It'd be interesting to see the figures.

>- The industry reports that the value of Harleys has recently and
>suddenly dropped by nearly 15 percent across the board, which is the
>biggest downturn in the value of a used Harley in over 20 years

Maybe they're getting to be a drug on the market.

>- BMW has abandoned its cruiser line due to poor sales

It wasn't really a cruiser.

>- Two smaller cruiser manufacturerss have gone belly up (Excelsior-
>Henderson & Indian)

Excelsior-Henderson? Excuse me? And Indian, apparently is starting
up again (meaning to say someone bought the name).

>- Victory's latest motorcycle is not another cruiser -- it's a touring
>bike

Victorys all look alike. Why do they need a new model? Why shouldn't
they try to widen their appeal? That's nothing against cruisers.

>- Yamaha is heavily discounting the Roadliner and Stratoliner models
>that were so hot just two years ago

They were NEW two years ago.

>- The Harley V-Rod has completely tanked, going from up to $3000 over
>MSRP a couple of years ago, to having hefty rebates and discounts
>today

The V-Rod is not really a cruiser. It's an answer looking for a
question.

>- Honda has dropped the Valkyrie, and sales of the once-mighty VTX are
>steadily declining

The Valk wasn't really a cruiser either.

>Seems that cruiser popularity is fading fast. I wonder what the true
>impetus of the market change has been.

Maybe the image is wearing out.

tomo...@erols.com

Apr 12, 2007, 8:32:19 AM4/12/07
On Apr 12, 1:53 am, Blazing Laser wrote:
> On 11 Apr 2007 21:27:30 -0700, "Tim Kreitz" <timkre...@yahoo.com>

> >Seems that cruiser popularity is fading fast. I wonder what the true
> >impetus of the market change has been.
>
> Maybe the image is wearing out.

Now, if folks would begin to come around to realizing just how BAD a
motorcycle a roadracer is on the public roads....

Bob Mann

Apr 12, 2007, 10:20:08 AM4/12/07
wrote:

>- The industry reports that the value of Harleys has recently and
>suddenly dropped by nearly 15 percent across the board, which is the
>biggest downturn in the value of a used Harley in over 20 years

Not so recent.
The value has been dropping since 2003.
The main reason is that the list price of new Harleys has been
dropping.
This is especially true in Canada since our dollar rose some 25%
during that time compared to yours. (roughly 65 cents to 88 cents
overall)
The bike that cost me just over $18,000 + taxes out the door is now
listed at $15,929

tomo...@erols.com

Apr 12, 2007, 9:24:43 AM4/12/07
On Apr 12, 9:20 am, Bob Mann <B...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On 11 Apr 2007 21:27:30 -0700, "Tim Kreitz" <timkre...@yahoo.com>

List prices (MSRP) in the U.S. hasn't been dropping, but the annual
increases have been less than the rate of inflation, while the pace of
improvements and enhancements has definitely picked up. Plus, with
supply finally meeting demand, the ubiquitous habit of dealers of
tacking on additional markups over MSRP has almost completely gone
away.

And, far be it for me to puncture the happy bubble of anti-Harley
zealots, this is a *good* thing.

pjha...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2007, 10:35:11 AM4/12/07
On Apr 11, 11:27 pm, "Tim Kreitz" <timkre...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> There is an article by Fred Rau in the April 2007 edition of
> Motorcycle Consumer News that points out some interestiing stats
> regarding cruiser sales.

Data point.

A neighbor across the street from my got a large cruiser last summer.
I am not sure what brand/model. For two or three months, he was on it
every day, riding it to and from work, out and about, etc. Since then
his butt has been back in his truck 100% of the time, and the bike
sits in the garage. I see it from time to time, and it's parked askew
and is surrounded by other garage stuff, apparently forlorn and
forgotten. Maybe he's waiting for an 80+ degree day, I don't know.
We've had a few of those already, but the bike hasn't moved.

Perhaps the cruiser popularity has peaked, and everyone who was
interested in one has already put one in their garage. Is the
consumer market for cruisers saturated?

--
DOD #4747
Kaw ZX-11

oasysco

Apr 12, 2007, 11:02:00 AM4/12/07
On Apr 12, 10:35 am, "pjhart...@gmail.com" <pjhart...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Or take me... I rode my bike as much as I drove my truck this past
winter. Now with nicer weather, I will be riding my bike way more than
my truck.

People buy bikes thinking how much fun it'll be and when they realize
riding solo is sorta lonely, the shine wears thin fast. I look for
excuses to ride. Those folks who just park their bikes - and he may
indeed be waiting for nice weather - don't look for excuses; they wait
for the right opportunity. It's the dif between being addicted to
riding and just riding - and both are fine in my book.

Greg

Andrew

Apr 12, 2007, 11:50:42 AM4/12/07
"Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

This is interesting.
I would think it will stop declining and plateau any second now. Seriously,
they were HOT for a while. (Kinda like the housing market.)
I am curious if the sales are declining because of shows like 'American
Chopper' and "Biker Build Off.'
To me those shows represent motorcycle manufacturing with minimum quality
and little precision.
Perhaps the consumer now things the same thing.

--
Andrew
00 Daytona

Scott

Apr 12, 2007, 12:26:27 PM4/12/07
On 12 Apr 2007 08:02:00 -0700, in rec.motorcycles, "oasysco"
<wilder...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Apr 12, 10:35 am, "pjhart...@gmail.com" <pjhart...@gmail.com>
>wrote:

>> Perhaps the cruiser popularity has peaked, and everyone who was
>> interested in one has already put one in their garage. Is the
>> consumer market for cruisers saturated?
>
>Or take me... I rode my bike as much as I drove my truck this past
>winter. Now with nicer weather, I will be riding my bike way more than
>my truck.
>
>People buy bikes thinking how much fun it'll be and when they realize
>riding solo is sorta lonely, the shine wears thin fast. I look for

Hmm...I enjoy solo riding myself. Group riding is more like work. Maybe
I'm doing it wrong.

>excuses to ride. Those folks who just park their bikes - and he may
>indeed be waiting for nice weather - don't look for excuses; they wait

I wonder, do bikes that get parked have any baggage or cargo capacity at
all? When I started up last spring, I left my bags and racks in the garage
to start with. Well, that lasted all of two days -- without a way to carry
stuff, a bike just isn't practical. IMO that might explain a lot of garage
queens...you gotta be able to carry stuff, but if you're too stuck up to
strap on some ugly bags, or maybe just too far in debt with the bike loan to
afford bags, then you'll end up back in your cage anytime you're not riding
solely for the pleasure of riding.

>for the right opportunity. It's the dif between being addicted to
>riding and just riding - and both are fine in my book.

And then you have the posers, who aren't even on the chart anyway.

-Scott
--
'73 CB450K
'82 CB900F (x2)

Wayne

Apr 12, 2007, 1:21:25 PM4/12/07

"Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> There is an article by Fred Rau in the April 2007 edition of
> Motorcycle Consumer News that points out some interestiing stats
> regarding cruiser sales. While they still make up the bulk of US
> motorcycle sales, Fred points out that they are in the midst of a 4-
> year state of decline as a bike category. All this at a time when
> motorcycling is experiencing a 26-year high in popularity.

I think that the overall boom in bike sales was due to baby boomers who
always wanted a bike and could now afford one. The boomers are getting older
and want more comfort and maybe want to do some serious touring ---like me.
Wayne
86 Venture

k...@nospam.invalid

Apr 12, 2007, 4:31:21 PM4/12/07
wrote:

>There is an article by Fred Rau in the April 2007 edition of
>Motorcycle Consumer News that points out some interestiing stats
>regarding cruiser sales. While they still make up the bulk of US
>motorcycle sales, Fred points out that they are in the midst of a 4-
>year state of decline as a bike category. All this at a time when
>motorcycling is experiencing a 26-year high in popularity. Hat tip to
>Richard at Two-Wheeled Texans for the following synopsis of Fred's
>data:
>
>- Total cruiser sales have flattened and, for some manufacturers, have
>already declined
>
>- The industry reports that the value of Harleys has recently and
>suddenly dropped by nearly 15 percent across the board, which is the
>biggest downturn in the value of a used Harley in over 20 years

At AZ Bike Week, the Harley demo fleet was in full operation. There
was a a group waiting to ride all the time. Yamaha, Victory and
Kawasaki all had to spread their rides out a bit in order to send out
a full group. Seemed like the Harley's were the most popular. I myself
rode three Harley's but only one each of the others.

Ken in Albuquerque
-- Interested in New Mexico? Come visit us at
-- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nmgeneral/

BrianNZ

Apr 12, 2007, 5:16:41 PM4/12/07

Now that depends on the rider and the roads. If it's all wide multilane
highway all day, I'd agree with you, but if it's twisty 'B' roads it's
roadracer time.

PirateJohn

Apr 12, 2007, 5:18:33 PM4/12/07
On Apr 12, 2:53 am, Blazing Laser wrote:

> >- BMW has abandoned its cruiser line due to poor sales
>
> It wasn't really a cruiser.

That, and BMW's official reason was that, following a management
change, they wanted to emphasize performance and didn't have a
suitable motor in the line to build a high performance cruiser. The
BMW cruisers were always a bit of an oddball for a touring-oriented
company anyway, so it's not much of a surprise that they weren't
exactly loved.

--PirateJohn--
www.PirateJohn.com

Bob Mann

Apr 12, 2007, 7:08:04 PM4/12/07
On 12 Apr 2007 14:18:33 -0700, "PirateJohn" <jo...@buccaneerpress.com>
wrote:

Not to mention the fact that they were hideous.

tomo...@erols.com

Apr 12, 2007, 6:46:18 PM4/12/07
On Apr 12, 11:26 am, nob...@xmission.com (Scott) wrote:

> And then you have the posers, who aren't even on the chart anyway.

Okay, I'll bite. What is "the chart" and how do I get on it?

Wayne

Apr 12, 2007, 6:50:23 PM4/12/07

"Bob Mann" <Bo...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> On 12 Apr 2007 14:18:33 -0700, "PirateJohn" <jo...@buccaneerpress.com>
> wrote:
>>
> Not to mention the fact that they were hideous. (BMW'S)

Yeah, they have to be really good to sell bikes that are that ugly, like red
seats and weird shaped tanks and no chrome.
Wayne
86 Venture

oasysco

Apr 12, 2007, 6:58:28 PM4/12/07
On Apr 12, 12:26 pm, nob...@xmission.com (Scott) wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2007 08:02:00 -0700, in rec.motorcycles, "oasysco"
>
> <wilderkom...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On Apr 12, 10:35 am, "pjhart...@gmail.com" <pjhart...@gmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >> Perhaps the cruiser popularity has peaked, and everyone who was
> >> interested in one has already put one in their garage. Is the
> >> consumer market for cruisers saturated?
>
> >Or take me... I rode my bike as much as I drove my truck this past
> >winter. Now with nicer weather, I will be riding my bike way more than
> >my truck.
>
> >People buy bikes thinking how much fun it'll be and when they realize
> >riding solo is sorta lonely, the shine wears thin fast. I look for
>
> Hmm...I enjoy solo riding myself. Group riding is more like work. Maybe
> I'm doing it wrong.
>
> >excuses to ride. Those folks who just park their bikes - and he may
> >indeed be waiting for nice weather - don't look for excuses; they wait
>
> I wonder, do bikes that get parked have any baggage or cargo capacity at
> all? When I started up last spring, I left my bags and racks in the garage
> to start with. Well, that lasted all of two days -- without a way to carry
> stuff, a bike just isn't practical. IMO that might explain a lot of garage
> queens...you gotta be able to carry stuff, but if you're too stuck up to
> strap on some ugly bags, or maybe just too far in debt with the bike loan to
> afford bags, then you'll end up back in your cage anytime you're not riding
> solely for the pleasure of riding.

Agreed on the ability to carry stuff. I have 2 sidebags, 1 trunk bag,
a handlebar bag for glasses and small stuff and a backpack for when I
go to the gym. before work... gotta carry my street clotes and tennis
shoes.

Greg

RKRM

Apr 12, 2007, 7:02:17 PM4/12/07

"oasysco" <wilder...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Apr 12, 10:35 am, "pjhart...@gmail.com" <pjhart...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Apr 11, 11:27 pm, "Tim Kreitz" <timkre...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > There is an article by Fred Rau in the April 2007 edition of
>> > Motorcycle Consumer News that points out some interestiing stats
>> > regarding cruiser sales.
>>
>> Data point.
>>
>> A neighbor across the street from my got a large cruiser last summer.
>> I am not sure what brand/model. For two or three months, he was on it
>> every day, riding it to and from work, out and about, etc. Since then
>> his butt has been back in his truck 100% of the time, and the bike
>> sits in the garage. I see it from time to time, and it's parked askew
>> and is surrounded by other garage stuff, apparently forlorn and
>> forgotten. Maybe he's waiting for an 80+ degree day, I don't know.
>> We've had a few of those already, but the bike hasn't moved.
>>
>> Perhaps the cruiser popularity has peaked, and everyone who was
>> interested in one has already put one in their garage. Is the
>> consumer market for cruisers saturated?
>
> Or take me... I rode my bike as much as I drove my truck this past
> winter. Now with nicer weather, I will be riding my bike way more than
> my truck.
>
> People buy bikes thinking how much fun it'll be and when they realize
> riding solo is sorta lonely, the shine wears thin fast.

The vast majority of my riding is with my wife. A little with my son and
some alone. I enjoy it all. Solo riding for me is not lonely but fun. I
prefer to ride with my wife but I ride different solo and do enjoy it. Then
again I have been riding off and on since I was 5. That's 36 years and I
ride because I love it. I just bought a new cruiser and just because sales
are leveling doesn't mean "they're done" it's just a trend. It's like
everything else -- up and down.

BrianNZ

Apr 12, 2007, 7:16:24 PM4/12/07

The thought of loading up my bike with luggage is just wrong....it's
called ballast, and sportsbikes don't need any. I'll take a small
backpack if I really need to carry anything.....otherwise, I'll use the
car. My 'touring luggage' fits under the tailpiece where the tool kit
(obsolete on a newish bike) used to live. Iv'e hacked out the plastic
divider in the tool tray so now I can get my camera in there.

Bob Mann

Apr 12, 2007, 8:21:59 PM4/12/07
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:50:23 -0400, "Wayne" <wrj...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

And....based on various reports, they really weren't all that good
either.

Rayvan

Apr 12, 2007, 7:21:51 PM4/12/07
On Apr 11, 9:27 pm, "Tim Kreitz" <timkre...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> There is an article by Fred Rau in the April 2007 edition of
> Motorcycle Consumer News that points out some interestiing stats
> regarding cruiser sales. While they still make up the bulk of US
> motorcycle sales, Fred points out that they are in the midst of a 4-
> year state of decline as a bike category. All this at a time when
> motorcycling is experiencing a 26-year high in popularity. Hat tip to
> Richard at Two-Wheeled Texans for the following synopsis of Fred's
> data:

LOL!
That's why revenues at H-D rose 9% in 2006, to $6.2 billion,
and net income climbed 8.7%, to just over $1 billion, capping
decades of unbroken growth.

Fred's been doom-saying cruisers for years and years.
He's been proven wrong again: He picks *one* bike that
Harley sells that's not doing so great in the USA (V-Rod*)
and fails to mention that all of their other bikes are on track
for yet another sales record in 2007 even taking into account
the strike in N.Y.

The main reason used H-D values have dropped is because
of the new 96 inch engines and the six speed trans. Fred
didn't mention this for some reason. Same thing happened
to EVO bikes when the TC88 bikes were introduced.
--
Rayvan

*V-Rod sales are great in Europe BTW, so sales are still
gaining

oasysco

Apr 12, 2007, 8:12:49 PM4/12/07

Where do you put the rainsuit? Not to mention the full-sized bath
towel just in case the gym is out or you need to wipe down your 21"
windshield? And how about the extra set of shoes and the can of Plexus
spray? Or the swimsuit just in case you get a chance to get in the hot
tub? And let's not forget the spare set of gloves and a face warmer as
well as your leather vest and a dog leash just in case you have to
walk a dog somewhere? <g>

Greg

oasysco

Apr 12, 2007, 8:14:36 PM4/12/07
> Greg- Hide quoted text -

Oh BTW, I'm kidding about the dog leash :)-

Greg

BrianNZ

Apr 12, 2007, 8:56:22 PM4/12/07

My jacket and pants are waterproof, so I'm wearing it.

> Not to mention the full-sized bath
> towel just in case the gym is out or you need to wipe down your 21"
> windshield?

Gym!? Windshield!? What a strange language you speak. :)

> And how about the extra set of shoes and the can of Plexus
> spray?

I don't do shoes if I'm on holiday...it's bike boots or bare feet. I
have room for a small can of chain lube....the plastics can wait until I
get home before they get cleaned.

> Or the swimsuit just in case you get a chance to get in the hot
> tub?

The spare boxers double as a swimsuit....hot tubs are a naked thing.

> And let's not forget the spare set of gloves and a face warmer as
> well as your leather vest

I'll only need spare gloves if I crash and rip the ones I'm wearing,
I'll be wearing a cotton balaclava (the 'slit' eyehole rather than the
'kiddiefucker two circles') and iv'e got more than enough pockets, so a
vest isn't needed.

> and a dog leash just in case you have to
> walk a dog somewhere? <g>

I divorced her years ago. :)

> Greg

Stephen Cowell

Apr 12, 2007, 8:55:49 PM4/12/07

"oasysco" <wilder...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Agreed on the ability to carry stuff. I have 2 sidebags, 1 trunk bag,
> a handlebar bag for glasses and small stuff and a backpack for when I
> go to the gym. before work... gotta carry my street clotes and tennis
> shoes.

And just this morning, I stopped at the grocery
store on the way to work and had to put a loaf
of French bread in one side of the jacket and a
deflated bag of chips in the other... the secret
is to crack the loaf in half, btw.

Yesterday evening, I went three blocks to the
corner store for a half gallon of milk... I carried
the bag *in my teeth*... man, you want something
that makes it hard to turn your head? Try it sometime!
At least I wasn't wearing flip-flops... I need to put
that rubber tie-down around the sissy bar again,
that thing is handy.
__
Steve
'06 FXDI
KI5YG
.

Calgary

Apr 12, 2007, 9:01:52 PM4/12/07
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:26:27 GMT, nob...@xmission.com (Scott) wrote:

>>People buy bikes thinking how much fun it'll be and when they realize
>>riding solo is sorta lonely, the shine wears thin fast. I look for
>
>Hmm...I enjoy solo riding myself. Group riding is more like work. Maybe
>I'm doing it wrong.

I think there are a lot of us that enjoy the solitude of the road.

Group rides are ok, but you are right they are work. Often you spend
so much time paying attention to what others are doing and where they
are, it takes away the enjoyment of the ride.

Now I do enjoy the BS'ing at the pit stops.

--

24 hours in a day
&

Coincidence?

I think not

.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

Apr 12, 2007, 9:20:51 PM4/12/07
On 12 Apr 2007 17:12:49 -0700, "oasysco" <wilder...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Where do you put the rainsuit? Not to mention the full-sized bath
>towel just in case the gym is out or you need to wipe down your 21"
>windshield? And how about the extra set of shoes and the can of Plexus
>spray? Or the swimsuit just in case you get a chance to get in the hot
>tub? And let's not forget the spare set of gloves and a face warmer as
>well as your leather vest and a dog leash just in case you have to
>walk a dog somewhere? <g>

Funny you mention that :-)

I actually carry not one, but TWO dog collars and leashes in
my truck. And I don't own a dog. But I do save strays when I can and
help them get home, and the leashes have come in handy more than
once :-)

>Greg

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

Apr 12, 2007, 9:21:09 PM4/12/07
On 12 Apr 2007 17:14:36 -0700, "oasysco" <wilder...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I'm not :-)

BryanUT

Apr 12, 2007, 9:42:59 PM4/12/07

"Calgary" <actual.rider_rem...@telus.net> wrote in message

> Group rides are ok, but you are right they are work. Often you spend
> so much time paying attention to what others are doing and where they
> are, it takes away the enjoyment of the ride.
>
> Now I do enjoy the BS'ing at the pit stops.

Unless you aren't in the group and come up on that slow moving group and
they aren't kind enough let you make your way through without passing all 40
of them at once...

But I think we discussed this last year, something about ettiquette as I
recall.

I was on a group ride once and a fellow came up at a pit stop and introduced
himself, "Hi, they call me Crash." All I could think was, "I am in the
wrong group."

However I do plan on taking my sportbike to the annual HOG run to Wendover
NV. One thousand bikes, 110 miles of almost arrow straight freeway across
the west desert. I plan to haul ass to the front of the line and ride with
the State Police escort. They'll be going real fast. And I can avoid that
guy they call Crash.

Nate Bargmann

Apr 12, 2007, 10:14:56 PM4/12/07
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 05:32:19 -0700, tomo...@erols.com wrote:

> On Apr 12, 1:53 am, Blazing Laser wrote:
>> On 11 Apr 2007 21:27:30 -0700, "Tim Kreitz" <timkre...@yahoo.com>
>
>> >Seems that cruiser popularity is fading fast. I wonder what the true
>> >impetus of the market change has been.
>>
>> Maybe the image is wearing out.
>

> Now, if folks would begin to come around to realizing just how BAD a
> motorcycle a roadracer is on the public roads....

I, for one, would welcome some UJM "standard" styling again.

- Nate >>

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds,
the pessimist fears this is true."

Wayne

Apr 12, 2007, 10:33:28 PM4/12/07

"Calgary" <actual.rider_rem...@telus.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:26:27 GMT, nob...@xmission.com (Scott) wrote:
>
> Group rides are ok, but you are right they are work. Often you spend
> so much time paying attention to what others are doing and where they
> are, it takes away the enjoyment of the ride.

I found that when I went with the goldwing group they all went in formation
and I spent more time watching where I was in formation than enjoying the
ride. Also, you have to go when they go and stop when they stop and no side
trips.
I have been travelling alone since then. Nobody to please but myself. It's
amazing how many bikers you pick up along the way though. And, of course we
are all like long lost buddies. Ever notice that lots of people will come up
and talk to you? They'd never do that if you were sitting a car.
Wayne
86 Venture

Calgary

Apr 12, 2007, 10:57:51 PM4/12/07
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:33:28 -0400, "Wayne" <wrj...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

>I have been travelling alone since then. Nobody to please but myself. It's
>amazing how many bikers you pick up along the way though. And, of course we
>are all like long lost buddies. Ever notice that lots of people will come up
>and talk to you? They'd never do that if you were sitting a car.
>Wayne

Yup there is always someone wanting to talk bikes while on the road.

Itsme

Apr 12, 2007, 11:02:17 PM4/12/07

"Andrew" <yogig.no.sp...@hotmail.nospamm.com> wrote in message

Can only hope that the chopper fad is finally dying!!!!

Scott

Apr 12, 2007, 11:26:03 PM4/12/07
On 12 Apr 2007 15:46:18 -0700, in rec.motorcycles, "tomo...@erols.com"
<tomo...@erols.com> wrote:

If you have to ask....

blazinglaser

Apr 13, 2007, 3:08:27 AM4/13/07
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:14:56 -0500, Nate Bargmann
<n0nb.DO....@ME.networksplus.net> wrote:

>I, for one, would welcome some UJM "standard" styling again.

Me too! I liked the way bikes looked 30 years ago.

Keith Schiffner

Apr 13, 2007, 8:42:59 AM4/13/07

>>I, for one, would welcome some UJM "standard"
>>styling again.
>
> Me too! I liked the way bikes looked 30 years
> ago.

<contemplates garage> Why do you think I have a
GL1000? I would LOVE to be able to purchase a true
UJM/Standard in a 500-750cc bike. anything in that
size will go as far and anywhere I'd care to go.

--
Keith Schiffner
Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the

BryanUT

Apr 13, 2007, 8:59:25 AM4/13/07

> Yup there is always someone wanting to talk bikes while on the road.

But rarely while on reeky :)

tomo...@erols.com

Apr 13, 2007, 9:14:12 AM4/13/07
On Apr 13, 7:42 am, "Keith Schiffner" <schis...@bresnan.net> wrote:
> >>I, for one, would welcome some UJM "standard"
> >>styling again.
>
> > Me too! I liked the way bikes looked 30 years
> > ago.
>
> <contemplates garage> Why do you think I have a
> GL1000? I would LOVE to be able to purchase a true
> UJM/Standard in a 500-750cc bike. anything in that
> size will go as far and anywhere I'd care to go.

Honda 599? Suzuki DL650 V-Strom? Kawasaki Z750S? Ducati MS650?
Triumph Bonneville? Moto-Guzzi Breva 750?

tomo...@erols.com

Apr 13, 2007, 9:15:08 AM4/13/07
On Apr 12, 10:26 pm, nob...@xmission.com (Scott) wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2007 15:46:18 -0700, in rec.motorcycles, "tomor...@erols.com"

> <tomor...@erols.com> wrote:
> >On Apr 12, 11:26 am, nob...@xmission.com (Scott) wrote:
>
> >> And then you have the posers, who aren't even on the chart anyway.
>
> >Okay, I'll bite. What is "the chart" and how do I get on it?
>
> If you have to ask....

DOH!

Magnulus

Apr 13, 2007, 10:57:16 AM4/13/07
The cruiser demographics isn't getting any younger. The look also
doesn't necessarily have appeal to the young.

Plenty of sportbike riders, though. There would probably be some
real interest in naked/standards if people built them. Alot of folks
who buy sportbikes apparrently just want some transportation and
something that looks fast. You can get that without all the plastic.
Around here sportbikes are often ridden by male college students or
young men as basic transportation- you see them with a backpack slung
on their back on tied to a seat, and unlike cruiser riders they almost
always have some kind of gear on, whatever they can afford, I
suppose. The ones that aren't wearing anything, you can be sure they
are more joyriders/show offs.

Scooters are slowly gaining steam here in Orlando. I see alot more
of them. It's like a few months after I started riding them seriously,
everybody else picks it up. It used to be you only saw the little
Chinese scooters, the ones sold by fly-by-nights. But lately I've
seen Honda Reflexes,, Vespas, Yam. Morphouses, Zumas, and even a Big
Ruckus or two. And they are just about the only bikes you see women
actually riding them, in about 1 to 2 ratio with men/guys, as oppossed
to being in the pillion seat, so there's alot of new money to be made
there, I suppose.

tomo...@erols.com

Apr 13, 2007, 11:22:20 AM4/13/07
On Apr 13, 9:57 am, "Magnulus" <magnu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Scooters are slowly gaining steam here in Orlando. I see alot more
> of them. It's like a few months after I started riding them seriously,
> everybody else picks it up.

Can I interest you in a Ural sidecar rig, my good sir?

Bob Mann

Apr 13, 2007, 12:35:28 PM4/13/07
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 03:02:17 GMT, "Itsme"
<froms...@theendoftheuniverse.com> wrote:

>Can only hope that the chopper fad is finally dying!!!!

Why?
If people want to spend their money on rolling artwork, let them.

I'm seriously considering a custom project although it wouldn't be the
raked out "chopper" style.
Each to their own.

Scott

Apr 13, 2007, 12:03:46 PM4/13/07
On 13 Apr 2007 06:14:12 -0700, in rec.motorcycles, "tomo...@erols.com"
<tomo...@erols.com> wrote:

Hey, I just got me a list of bikes to shop this weekend. Though I looked at
the 599 (919?) once, and I recall it looking less like a UJM than like a
de-plastic'd sportbike. I'll look again. There's gotta be *something* out
there that wants me to ride it....

Mark Olson

Apr 13, 2007, 12:16:57 PM4/13/07

Don't forget the naked SV. About as much of a UJM as you're going to
find these days. First thing you'll want to do is to put an aftermarket
windscreen on, though.

--
'01 SV650S '99 EX250-F13 '98 ZG1000-A13
OMF #7

dual45s

Apr 13, 2007, 4:01:29 PM4/13/07

"Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Tim - my remarks are aimed at Mr Rau and and the Texas Dude - not you. All
you did was ccurately quote what they wrote.

> There is an article by Fred Rau in the April 2007 edition of
> Motorcycle Consumer News that points out some interestiing stats
> regarding cruiser sales. While they still make up the bulk of US
> motorcycle sales, Fred points out that they are in the midst of a 4-
> year state of decline as a bike category. All this at a time when
> motorcycling is experiencing a 26-year high in popularity. Hat tip to
> Richard at Two-Wheeled Texans for the following synopsis of Fred's
> data:
>
> - Total cruiser sales have flattened and, for some manufacturers, have
> already declined

Well hell, nothing is forever. Plus, there are about a zillion used cruisers
out there. Look at everyone's sales numbers over the last 5 or so years. Now
is the time to buy a low mileage cruisers if one is so inclined. You can't
swing a dead cat without hitting one for sale.

> - The industry reports that the value of Harleys has recently and
> suddenly dropped by nearly 15 percent across the board, which is the
> biggest downturn in the value of a used Harley in over 20 years

Hey, did you hear that Francisco Franco is still dead? H-D used values took
a dive (colectively) when they introduced the Twin Cam motor. The used value
of an Evo powered machine dropped a hell of a lot more than 15% which pulled
the collective value number down. This did not just happen despite the
wonder boys just now stumbling over some old information.

> - BMW has abandoned its cruiser line due to poor sales

Thank god for that. The damn thing had a dumbed down motor that would barely
pull itself up a steep drive way. What was BMW thinking when they brought
that bike to market with a 60 HP motor when they could have just used an RT
motor and had a chance of actually selling some bikes?

> - Two smaller cruiser manufacturerss have gone belly up (Excelsior-
> Henderson & Indian)

This makes me laugh. Both of these sterling companies went under due to bad
management/bad products and not any market forces. The management of E-H was
a freaking joke and Indians cloning of H-D with swoopy sheet metal and a
copy cat motor was not exactly a formula for success.

> - Victory's latest motorcycle is not another cruiser -- it's a touring
> bike

Well, sort off. You can Tour on a Vespa if you are so inclined. The Arlen
Mess Touring bike is still a big unkown. Maybe it will work and maybe not.
My point is don't count it as anything until it actually survives real world
usage. Magazine writer opinions don't count for much since they are not the
ones that make the final determination of what is or is not a good bike.
That is done by the buyer with his hard earned cash in hand.

> - Manufacturers have stepped up sale prices and rebates, and some are
> offering discounts of up to $5000 per bike on cruisers

I keep hearing that but it sure isn't happening in central Florida. At least
I don't think so. I'm not shopping right now so I may not be the best source
for this.

> - Yamaha is heavily discounting the Roadliner and Stratoliner models
> that were so hot just two years ago

Could it be Yamaha rode that pony just a bit too far without some competitve
upgrades? They are not bad bikes but there are a lot of models that seem to
have stolen their thunder as it were.

> - The Harley V-Rod has completely tanked, going from up to $3000 over
> MSRP a couple of years ago, to having hefty rebates and discounts
> today

Say what? The Florida dealers sruggled to get them off the floor at MSRP and
discounted them at the end of every model year. I'm reminded of what the
British riders used to say about Harleys in the 60's - damned bad waste of a
damn good industrial motor. This is a case of a bad waste of a good motor.
H-D really needs to put that motor in a frame that will let it shine.
However, I have to conceed that it is a case of a power cruiser not selling
well.

> - Honda has dropped the Valkyrie, and sales of the once-mighty VTX are
> steadily declining

Can't comment - just don't know the market for either bike.

> - Motorcycle rentals of cruisers (which is the best indicator of
> future sales) have declined steadily for four years. But rental of
> touring bikes, in particular the Gold Wing, is rising sharply.

Who in the hell decided that rentals were The prime indicator of where the
market was headed? I'd bet more on demorgraphics than anything else (and I'd
probably be guilty of ignoring some significant factor).

> Seems that cruiser popularity is fading fast. I wonder what the true
> impetus of the market change has been.

I wonder myself but I'm surely not going to believe the magazines. I've been
at this too long to swallow this month's hot news.

MWF

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Apr 13, 2007, 4:40:34 PM4/13/07
dual45s wrote:

> "Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> - BMW has abandoned its cruiser line due to poor sales
>
> Thank god for that. The damn thing had a dumbed down motor that would
> barely pull itself up a steep drive way. What was BMW thinking when
> they brought that bike to market with a 60 HP motor when they could
> have just used an RT motor and had a chance of actually selling some
> bikes?

But the RT motor wouldn't have *sounded* like a cruiser!

Y'know... kartoffel .. kartoffel .. kartoffel ..

--
-bts

High Plains Thumper

Apr 13, 2007, 6:37:34 PM4/13/07
pjhartman wrote:

> Tim Kreitz wrote:
>> There is an article by Fred Rau in the April 2007 edition of
>> Motorcycle Consumer News that points out some interesting stats
>> regarding cruiser sales.
>
> Data point.
>
> A neighbor across the street from my got a large cruiser last summer.
> I am not sure what brand/model. For two or three months, he was on it
> every day, riding it to and from work, out and about, etc. Since then
> his butt has been back in his truck 100% of the time, and the bike
> sits in the garage. I see it from time to time, and it's parked askew
> and is surrounded by other garage stuff, apparently forlorn and
> forgotten. Maybe he's waiting for an 80+ degree day, I don't know.
> We've had a few of those already, but the bike hasn't moved.

> Perhaps the cruiser popularity has peaked, and everyone who was
> interested in one has already put one in their garage. Is the
> consumer market for cruisers saturated?

Did he buy a trailer for it? Does he make the annual pilgrimage to
Sturgis? :-)

I'm speculating. Could it be that he's been hit with additional items
at work facing time compression, climbing in the cage is easier than
suiting up to ride?

In heavy city traffic, I find the motorcycle more enjoyable than
putting up with gridlock in the cage. Even a Honda Super Cub would
make an ideal scoot in such conditions, beanie helmet, business suit
and all.

--
HPT

Calgary

Apr 13, 2007, 6:58:12 PM4/13/07
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 06:59:25 -0600, "BryanUT" <nest...@comcast.net>
wrote:

It's been a long established tradition.

dizzy

Apr 13, 2007, 11:37:42 PM4/13/07
Rayvan wrote:

>LOL!
>That's why revenues at H-D rose 9% in 2006, to $6.2 billion,
>and net income climbed 8.7%, to just over $1 billion, capping
>decades of unbroken growth.
>
>Fred's been doom-saying cruisers for years and years.
>He's been proven wrong again: He picks *one* bike that
>Harley sells that's not doing so great in the USA (V-Rod*)
>and fails to mention that all of their other bikes are on track
>for yet another sales record in 2007 even taking into account
>the strike in N.Y.

Well, that's what I was thinking. The guy talks about all these
fringe bikes and ignores Harley's main line - which is obviously the
lion's share of the cruiser market.

Keith Schiffner

Apr 14, 2007, 12:56:15 AM4/14/07

"Scott" <nob...@xmission.com> wrote in message

The 599 is one of the most uncomfortable bikes
I've sat on. The DL650 is too tall AND didn't sit
like a standard to me. The Z750S is also rather
uncomfortable to me.The Ducati and Guzzi I haven't
had the pleasure of sitting on. The Bonneville is
comfortable but what was that size again??? Oh
yeah 856cc.

At 66" tall finding something I fit and meets my
needs is problematic. What I find weird is that
the GSXR750 is comfortable but not practical for a
guy who likes to take camping gear, furniture,
computers etc on a bike for rides from across town
to across several states. Oddly even though the
Wing is a bit tall for me it's comfortable.
pax
--
Keith Schiffner
History does not record anywhere at any time a

Turby

Apr 14, 2007, 3:47:12 AM4/14/07
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 00:55:49 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
<sco...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"oasysco" <wilder...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Agreed on the ability to carry stuff. I have 2 sidebags, 1 trunk bag,
>> a handlebar bag for glasses and small stuff and a backpack for when I
>> go to the gym. before work... gotta carry my street clotes and tennis
>> shoes.

I strap my snorkeling and bodysurfing gear (wetsuit, fins, camera,
towel, etc,) to the rack so I still have room for groceries in the
saddlebags on the way home. If you're serious about riding all the
time, there isn't much you can't carry on a bike. I go weeks without
driving my truck.

>And just this morning, I stopped at the grocery
>store on the way to work and had to put a loaf
>of French bread in one side of the jacket and a
>deflated bag of chips in the other... the secret
>is to crack the loaf in half, btw.

I've got the gal at my local French bakery trained. She knows to cut
baguettes in half for me.

>Yesterday evening, I went three blocks to the
>corner store for a half gallon of milk... I carried
>the bag *in my teeth*... man, you want something
>that makes it hard to turn your head? Try it sometime!

The image of a poodle ripping at a bag of hotdogs comes to mind.

--
Turby the Turbosurfer

RKRM

Apr 14, 2007, 6:56:04 AM4/14/07

"dizzy" <di...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

Wouldn't Japanese imports constitute the majority of the US market? I have
no doubt they do.

PirateJohn

Apr 14, 2007, 11:32:13 AM4/14/07
On Apr 13, 11:37 pm, dizzy <d...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Rayvan wrote:

> >Fred's been doom-saying cruisers for years and years.
> >He's been proven wrong again: He picks *one* bike that
> >Harley sells that's not doing so great in the USA (V-Rod*)
> >and fails to mention that all of their other bikes are on track
> >for yet another sales record in 2007 even taking into account
> >the strike in N.Y.
>
> Well, that's what I was thinking. The guy talks about all these
> fringe bikes and ignores Harley's main line - which is obviously the
> lion's share of the cruiser market.

While cruisers aren't my personal style, one has to think that Fred's
rant and the agreement of a few others is basically wishful thinking
on the part of those that don't like cruisers. All in all, Harley
doesn't look like they are ready to close their doors any time soon.

This thread sorta reminds me of a "rap music is on the way out" thread
that was started on another newsgroup by a middle-aged white guy from
St. Louis. There is nothing wrong with being a middle-aged white guy
from St. Louis but somehow I don't exactly think that he has his
finger on the pulse of the music biz.

And yeah, the BMW cruisers were pretty odd. Betcha they become semi-
collectable (about like my K1 was when I had her) sooner or later ;)

--PirateJohn--
www.PirateJohn.com

tomo...@erols.com

Apr 14, 2007, 12:09:26 PM4/14/07
On Apr 13, 11:56 pm, "Keith Schiffner" <schis...@bresnan.net> wrote:
> "Scott" <nob...@xmission.com> wrote in message

> > On 13 Apr 2007 06:14:12 -0700, in
> > rec.motorcycles, "tomor...@erols.com"

I find it quite odd that you've settled on a 600+ pound 1,000cc liquid
cooled four-cylinder, but won't even CONSIDER a (huge?) 856cc air-
cooled twin, when bemoaning the lack of naked middleweight bikes on
the market, just because its engine displaces more than an arbitrary
750cc!

Hell, I would think that the Multi Strada 650 or 1000, the Suzuki
DL650 or 1000 V-Strom, would ALL be closer to what you say you want
than is your much beloved GL1000!

tomo...@erols.com

Apr 14, 2007, 12:33:09 PM4/14/07
On Apr 14, 5:56 am, "RKRM" <r...@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote:
> "dizzy" <d...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

That depends on whether you include scooters, dirt bikes, and four-
wheel ATVs in your description of the "US market." If you do, yes.
If you're talking about the U.S. market for 2-wheeled on-road
motorcycles, or the U.S. market for heavyweight street motorcycles, or
the U.S. market for cruiser-styled motorcycles, or the U.S. market for
motorcycles with engines displacing > 650cc, then no, Harley-Davidson
dominates the U.S. market.

For instance, in that final definition of the U.S. market listed
above, Harley-Davidson sold 48.6% of the total units sold in the U.S.
in 2006, the Japanese "big four" of Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki
sold a combined 44.1%, and all other (Chinese, Korean, European)
manufacturers sold a combined 7.3% of the total units.

If you look at total U.S. streetbike sales, in 2006, Harley-Davidson
sold 281,600 out of a total of 680,679 streetbikes sold in the
U.S., meaning that they had 41.4% of the total streetbike market
(there were also 54,268 scooters, 35,245 dual-sport, and 252,140
purely of-road motorcycles and ATVs sold.)

If you want to compare Harley in the context of ALL motorcycles sold,
including scooters, dual-sport, and pure off-road motorcycles and
ATVs, they had a mere 27.5% of total unit sales.

I suppose that Harley has a slightly larger share of the U.S.
"cruiser" market!

tomo...@erols.com

Apr 14, 2007, 12:34:48 PM4/14/07
On Apr 14, 10:32 am, "PirateJohn" <j...@buccaneerpress.com> wrote:

> There is nothing wrong with being a middle-aged white guy
> from St. Louis but somehow I don't exactly think that he has his
> finger on the pulse of the music biz.

Well, DUH! For that, you gotta be a middle-aged white guy from the
Washington, D.C. suburbs!!!!

Keith Schiffner

Apr 14, 2007, 12:40:51 PM4/14/07

<tomo...@erols.com> wrote in message

Hey you know that was a purchase based on A)
available cash and more importantly B) It was the
only thing that appealed, was available. <shrugs>
I make no excuses for a purchase made in 2001
under duress (dead LS650) That damned wing has
grown on me like fucking barnacle...not sure I
could loose it if I wanted to.

tomo...@erols.com

Apr 14, 2007, 4:43:35 PM4/14/07
On Apr 14, 11:40 am, "Keith Schiffner" <schis...@bresnan.net> wrote:
> <tomor...@erols.com> wrote in message

I understand. Lots of bikes I've had have fit that description,
too. But still and all, I think the Bonneville fits in your range of
alternatives, in spite of its engine displacement.

J. Clarke

Apr 14, 2007, 5:00:14 PM4/14/07

The Wee's a dual-sport, not a standard. I thought it was too tall for
me the first time I sat on on too, took the chance, and I'm getting
used to it. To flat-foot it I have to go as far forward on the seat as
I can (hard on the cojones) but I can do it and as time goes by I'm
finding less need to. And I'm old, fat and out out of practice. OTOH,
it's _not_ a low seat.

> The Z750S is also rather
> uncomfortable to me.The Ducati and Guzzi I haven't
> had the pleasure of sitting on.

Definitely look at the Guzzi. If I didn't have firm plans for some
pretty bad road I'd have gone with the Breva over the Wee.

> The Bonneville is
> comfortable but what was that size again??? Oh
> yeah 856cc.
>
> At 66" tall finding something I fit and meets my
> needs is problematic. What I find weird is that
> the GSXR750 is comfortable but not practical for a
> guy who likes to take camping gear, furniture,
> computers etc on a bike for rides from across town
> to across several states. Oddly even though the
> Wing is a bit tall for me it's comfortable.
> pax

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J. Clarke

Apr 14, 2007, 5:11:06 PM4/14/07

Just a comment but if he's short the V-Stroms aren't going to be a good
match for him--the DL650 comes with the low seat and it's almost too
tall for me at 5'10"--the salesman at the Suzuki dealer, who's a few
inches shorter than I am, said right out that it _was_ too tall for
_him_.

Keith Schiffner

Apr 15, 2007, 8:22:17 PM4/15/07

<tomo...@erols.com> wrote in message

Shame there isn't a dealership within reasonable
distance. Anyway I have fun taking my slow bike up
US89 and dusting CBX's. 8^)

Mark Olson

Apr 15, 2007, 9:39:12 PM4/15/07
Keith Schiffner wrote:

> Shame there isn't a dealership within reasonable
> distance. Anyway I have fun taking my slow bike up
> US89 and dusting CBX's. 8^)

Keith, are
you posting
with a Vic 20,
Commodore 64, or
a Timex Sinclair?
Enquiring minds
want to know.

tomo...@erols.com

Apr 15, 2007, 9:40:02 PM4/15/07
On Apr 15, 7:22 pm, "Keith Schiffner" <schis...@bresnan.net> wrote:

> Anyway I have fun taking my slow bike up
> US89 and dusting CBX's. 8^)

You *do* know that when Honda intro'd the orig GL, it was as a
Superbike, and NOT as a tourer, right?

CBXs... bah!

David Steuber

Apr 16, 2007, 12:12:10 AM4/16/07
"oasysco" <wilder...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Where do you put the rainsuit? Not to mention the full-sized bath
> towel just in case the gym is out or you need to wipe down your 21"
> windshield? And how about the extra set of shoes and the can of Plexus
> spray? Or the swimsuit just in case you get a chance to get in the hot
> tub? And let's not forget the spare set of gloves and a face warmer as
> well as your leather vest and a dog leash just in case you have to
> walk a dog somewhere? <g>

You really just need the towel. So long as you have that, you can
borrow everything else. Although I wouldn't want to borrow a
swimsuit.

--
This post uses 100% post consumer electrons and 100% virgin photons.

An ideal world is left as an excercise to the reader.
--- Paul Graham, On Lisp 8.1

At 2.6 miles per minute, you don't really have time to get bored.
--- Pete Roehling on rec.motorcycles

I bump into a lot of veteran riders in my travels.
--- David Hough: Proficient Motorcycling

David Steuber

Apr 16, 2007, 12:15:33 AM4/16/07
"Stephen Cowell" <sco...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Yesterday evening, I went three blocks to the
> corner store for a half gallon of milk... I carried
> the bag *in my teeth*... man, you want something
> that makes it hard to turn your head? Try it sometime!

> At least I wasn't wearing flip-flops... I need to put
> that rubber tie-down around the sissy bar again,
> that thing is handy.

I have a cargo net under my seat. I also have saddle bags with a
pillion bag. But I only use those for bike trips.

David Steuber

Apr 16, 2007, 12:36:46 AM4/16/07
"Keith Schiffner" <schi...@bresnan.net> writes:

> The 599 is one of the most uncomfortable bikes
> I've sat on.

I got the 599 because it was everything I wanted in a bike. And I was
looking for a UJM (although I didn't know it at the time). It fit the
criteria that I had:

* I must be able to flat foot it
* I wanted an upright seating position
* I did not want a bike covered in plastic (no sport bike please)
* I wanted something with enough power to grow into
* I wanted something light enough that I could pick it up
* I wanted something small and nimble

Of course bikes are a very personal form of transportation. If it
doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.

Chuck Rhode

Apr 16, 2007, 12:55:02 AM4/16/07
Mark Olson wrote this on Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:39:12 -0500. My reply is
below.

> Keith, are
> you posting
> with a Vic 20,
> Commodore 64, or
> a Timex Sinclair?
> Enquiring minds
> want to know.

That would explain his disdain of using a spellchecker.

--
.. Chuck Rhode, Sheboygan, WI, USA
.. 1979 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (Geraldine)

Keith Schiffner

Apr 16, 2007, 9:26:31 AM4/16/07

"Chuck Rhode" <CRh...@LacusVeris.com> wrote in
message

> Mark Olson wrote this on Sun, 15 Apr 2007
> 20:39:12 -0500. My reply is
> below.
>
>> Keith, are
>> you posting
>> with a Vic 20,
>> Commodore 64, or
>> a Timex Sinclair?
>> Enquiring minds
>> want to know.
>
> That would explain his disdain of using a
> spellchecker.

It's an MS spiel chukka running in TRSDOS on a
Timex watch...why do you ask?
--
Keith Schiffner
Assistant to the Assistant Undersecretary of the
Ministry of Silly Walks.
"terrorist organization" is a redundancy

JamesR. Walker

Apr 16, 2007, 8:39:56 PM4/16/07

Is the cruiser on its way out?

There is an article by Fred Rau in the April 2007 edition of Motorcycle
Consumer News that points out some interestiing stats regarding cruiser
sales.
---------------------------
a cruiser is a touring bike. just one without all the junk...

High Plains Thumper

Apr 17, 2007, 12:08:57 PM4/17/07
tomo...@erols.com wrote:

> "Keith Schiffner" wrote:
>
>> Anyway I have fun taking my slow bike up
>> US89 and dusting CBX's. 8^)
>
> You *do* know that when Honda intro'd the orig GL, it was as a
> Superbike, and NOT as a tourer, right?

Sort of a super beamer?

--
HPT

High Plains Thumper

Apr 17, 2007, 12:52:54 PM4/17/07

Keith Schiffner wrote:
> "Chuck Rhode" wrote...
>> Mark Olson wrote.

>>> Keith, are
>>> you posting
>>> with a Vic 20,
>>> Commodore 64, or
>>> a Timex Sinclair?
>>> Enquiring minds
>>> want to know.
>>
>> That would explain his disdain of using a
>> spellchecker.
>
> It's an MS spiel chukka running in TRSDOS on a
> Timex watch...why do you ask?

TRS CoCo? AFAIK, the lowly
0.987 Mhz 6809 CoCo beat the 6
Mhz IBM PC/AT at Sieves of
Eratothenes.

It was as reliable as a Timex
watch with 32 columns x 16 lines
screen, using MickeyTerm and
300 Baud modem.

(If you didn't mind reverse
cap characters for lower case.)

--
HPT

bste...@rock.com

Apr 17, 2007, 4:01:06 PM4/17/07
I don't think sales are declining at all. Coming down naturally from a
peak isn't "declining."

Victory, Indian and BMW suck as cruisers. Nobody wants them. Harley's
been overpriced for years, and some of their models are setting all
time sales records.

Honda and Yamaha have never really had a strong entry in the cruiser
market, certainly none that can compete with the Kawasaki Vulcan or
the Suzuki Boulevard.

Bill S.

Hoodoo

Apr 18, 2007, 3:36:50 PM4/18/07
On Apr 14, 10:32 am, "PirateJohn" <jo...@buccaneerpress.com> wrote:

> While cruisers aren't my personal style, one has to think that Fred's
> rant and the agreement of a few others is basically wishful thinking
> on the part of those that don't like cruisers. All in all, Harley
> doesn't look like they are ready to close their doors any time soon.
>
> This thread sorta reminds me of a "rap music is on the way out" thread
> that was started on another newsgroup by a middle-aged white guy from
> St. Louis. There is nothing wrong with being a middle-aged white guy
> from St. Louis but somehow I don't exactly think that he has his
> finger on the pulse of the music biz.
>
> And yeah, the BMW cruisers were pretty odd. Betcha they become semi-
> collectable (about like my K1 was when I had her) sooner or later ;)
>
> --PirateJohn--www.PirateJohn.com

Pay close attention to the activities of the gun-nut sociopath defined
below. He is liable to become the next perpetrator of reprehensible
acts of extreme violence.

From: pirat...@aol.comSPAMNOT (PirateJohn)
Subject: Re: The Dark Side never rests!
Date: 1998/12/27
Newsgroups: alt.showbiz.gossip

Am I the only one that thinks that a lot of Rocky's (and other
assorted rightwinger's) hatred of The Prez. stems from Clinton's
tightening of firearms laws?? Let's face it - the thought of someone
like Rocky having access to a firearm is scary. Can we say 'keep him
away from the local McDonalds on his bad days'?? <grin>

{'ol John... looking over at his AR-15 carbine - and glad that these
things are generally unobtainable by medicated people, like Rocky, in
California...}

- - -

From: pirat...@aol.comSPAMNOT (PirateJohn)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: 07 Mar 2001 01:28:52 GMT
Subject: Re: MadCow is a fake; was Re:NY Man Dies After Sucked Down
Drain

And, just for the record, Yours Truly has a North Carolina concealed
carry permit. Never felt the urge to get one in FL. And a H&K P7 in
the center console. And an AR-15 carbine as a boat rifle. My motto
is that with so many armed nutcase rightwingers out there that every
neighborhood needs to have an honest, stable, armed liberal. In my
neighborhood that's me.

- - -

From: pirat...@aol.comSPAMNOT (PirateJohn)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.jimmy-buffett
Date: 07 Nov 2002 17:55:58 GMT
Subject: Re: JB's a Democrat???

Hell, I'm about as liberal as they come and I regularly carry a 9mm
pistol and keep an AR-15 rifle in the house.

My motto is that with as many armed rightwing nutcases as there are in
the World there needs to be at least one armed liberal in each
neighborhood to keep those rednecks in line ;)

- - -
From: billyri...@aol.comGOAWAY (Billy Righteous)
Newsgroups: alt.politics.immigration
Date: 06 Jun 2003 18:03:34 GMT
Subject: Re: Matricula consular ID card are now illegal in Colorado!

I'm smarter, bigger, stronger, and a lot meaner than you are. If you
ever put me in a position where I should reasonably fear for my life,
then you won't have to worry about going back to your cardboard
box of a home. You also won't be the first person that I didn't
like who I had to kill. Legally.

- - -

From: pirat...@aol.comNOSPAM (PirateJohn)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: 13 Feb 2004 22:04:35 GMT
Subject: Re: Attacker DEAD: Man saves his life and wife's with a
[horrible]HANDGUN

I merely said that you were a coward. You need to read closer.
Second of all, there's no doubt in my mind that you are a wannabe.
I've had two instances in my life where I've had to hold a pistol on
someone, and they both talked big until they were looking down the
barrel of a gun.

Hopefully, someone at Moffitt Corporation, 1351 13th Avenue South,
Suite 130, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250, http://www.moffitthvac.com,
was doing something constructive while concurrently, their employee
Pirate John Wesley Gilmer III (aka, Pirat...@aol.com,
jo...@buccaneerpress.com, pirat...@buccaneerpress.com,
Buccane...@aol.com, Upd...@BuccaneerPublishing.com,
matanza...@aol.com, pirat...@yahoo.com,
jgi...@moffitthvac.com, warp...@aol.com, pirate...@aol.com,
Buccan...@aol.com, Pira...@aol.com, WarpT...@aol.com,
JWGi...@aol.com, Troll...@hush.com, BillyRi...@aol.com,
GodIsS...@aol.com, Mr....@aol.com, Fredd...@aol.com or any of
the following in this partial list of additional known aliases:
Hoo...@hush.com, david_...@yahoo.com,
JHD_the...@insignificant.org, rednecks_a...@yahoo.com,
scipi...@yahoo.com, Karen_Anderson_...@yahoo.com,
rattler...@yahoo.com, Ginger_...@yahoo.com,
Alcib...@hush.com, retarded_littl...@yahoo.com,
F_Z...@deadmusicians.com, village_id...@yahoo.com,
Fat_Bil...@yahoo.com, milhouse_...@yahoo.com,
Billy_Cme...@hushmail.com, boytoy_r...@yahoo.com,
your_worse...@mac.hush.com, Dougla...@hushmail.com,
Yellow-Ey...@hushmail.com, auto2...@hushmail.com,
bresner@eatmyshorts, bre...@nerd.net, bre...@retards.com,
Milh...@deadmusicians.com, TeamCo...@aol.com,
which are all associated with http://www.buccaneerpublishing.com/,
http://www.BuccaneerPress.com, http://www.PirateJohn.com,
http://www.RidingIntoHistory.org,
http://groups.google.com/group/jimmy_buffett-moderated, as well the
Atlantic Beach Vintage Motorcycle Club http://www.ABVMC.com for which
Pirate John Wesley Gilmer III boasts of being its "el presidente" and
about an Iron Butt Association 50CC in 2001 and his 1998 BMW R1100GS
"Robomantis", 1996 BMW K1100RS mk. II "Franken-K" a/k/a "The
ArrestMeRed K", 1997 F650 She Who Must Be Obeyed's bike
1986 BMW K100RS Flying Brick) who resides at 12526 Agatite Road,
Jacksonville, Florida 32258 while sweetheart scamming the house's
alleged owner Deborah Lynch (aka, debly...@comcast.net of
http://www.deblynchrealtor.com) who is not worried about her privacy
as stated in usenet "Message-ID:
<1106845004....@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>" and instructed
him to "give the jackasses both barrels"...

am:http://www.buccaneerpublishing.com/AdventureGuide.htm

>> - - -
>>
>> Whois: buccaneerpublishing.com
>>
>> buccaneerpublishing.com = [ 66.218.79.165 ]
>> Domain Name.......... buccaneerpublishing.com
>> Creation Date........ 2004-06-08
>> Registration Date.... 2004-06-08
>> Expiry Date.......... 2005-06-08
>> Organisation Name.... Administrator
>> Organisation Address. 12526 Agatite Rd.
>> Organisation Address.
>> Organisation Address. Jacksonville
>> Organisation Address. 32258
>> Organisation Address. FL
>> Organisation Address. UNITED STATES
>> Admin Name........... Administrator Buccaneer Press Inc.
>> Admin Address........ 12526 Agatite Rd.
>> Admin Address........
>> Admin Address........ Jacksonville
>> Admin Address........ 32258
>> Admin Address........ FL
>> Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
>> Admin Email.......... matanzastrad...@aol.com
>> Admin Phone.......... 1.9048748633
>>
>> - - -
>>
>> From:http://anon1.coj.net/realestate/FinalData.asp?
RealNo=158365-0000

> [...]
>>
>> From the archives at Google
>>
>> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.obituaries/
>> [The comments at the bottom of the judgment are by the person who
>> initially posted the message containing the following information
>> about this DEADBEAT.]
>>
>> DEBTOR: GILMER, JOHN
>> CREDITOR: NORWEST FINANCIAL AMERICA INC
>> AMOUNT: $ 1,233
>> NUMBER: B8972P2221
>> TYPE: OPEN JUDGMENT
>> ENTERED: 6/11/1998
>> STATUS: OPEN
>>
>> So much for all that independently wealthy bullshit. Ya' can't
>> even pick up a $1200 tab.
>>
>> $1200 ... Since 1998. A judgment for $1200. Ya' ain't nuttin' but
>> a slug. A deadbeat.
>>
>> - - -
>>
>> And then there's the following message he posted. He denies that
>> he did post it because it didn't originate at AOL which allows
>> him to hide behind numerous identities but, you know very well
>> how he lies. With all of the character assassination and other
>> malicious mayhem he commits, you don't think he could hold
>> himself back from branching out to other domains and areas of
>> specific, and sexual, interests, do you?
>>
>> From: PirateJohn <pirat...@aol.com>
>> Newsgroups: alt.sex.stories.gay
>> Subject: Gay Bikers
>> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:01:42 -0500
>>
>> Any Gay Bikers out there?
>>
>> - - -
>>
>> http://www.bmwsearch.net/main/digest/V2003/N13/digest-20031399.html
>>
>> Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:06:14 -0400
>> From: JGilmer <jgi...@moffitthvac.com>
>> Subject: BMW: Shoei Syncrotec replacement?
>>
>> Shoei dealers seem to be clearing out their inventories of this
>> helmet. Does anyone know if it's getting ready to be replaced
and, if
>> so, do you have any details on the successor and the time frame
on
>> when it might appear?
>>
>> - --PirateJohn--
>> a/k/a
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> John W. Gilmer
>> Data Manager
>> Moffitt Corporation
>> Jacksonville Beach, FL
>>
>> - - -
>>
>> Using those details I searched and found the following website:
>>
>> http://www.moffitthvac.com/
>> Moffitt Corporation
>> 1351 13th Avenue South, Suite 130
>> Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
>> Phone: 904/241-9944
>> Fax: 904/246-8333
>>
>> - - -
>>
>> http://www.bmwsearch.net/main/digest/V2001/N20/digest-20012002.html
>> Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:46:57 -0600
>> Subject: BMW: Ride To Savannah VII Starts Tomorrow
>>
>> Scheduled to attend:
>>
>> Joey Gilmer Jacksonville, FL
>> Pirate John Jacksonville, FL
>>
>> - - -
>>
>> http://members.aol.com/theshoprag2/aug04/page2.htm
>> BMWNEF was represented at the Asheville Rally by the following

~~~~
John Wesley Gilmer III, 12526 Agatite Road, Jacksonville,
Florida 32258; (904) 247-3543 or (904) 652-7222 or (904)
268-5220 or (904) 673-0932; "I'm smarter, bigger, stronger,
and a lot meaner than you are. You also won't be the first
person that I didn't like who I had to kill. Legally." -- john
wesley gilmer III; john wesley gilmer III is, of course, "el
Presidente, Atlantic Beach Vintage Motorcycle Club,
www.ABVMC.com"

RKRM

Apr 19, 2007, 2:04:27 AM4/19/07

<bste...@rock.com> wrote in message

What????? So Yamaha STAR's don't compete? Riiiiiiiiight.

> Bill S.

Hoodini

May 5, 2007, 1:17:01 PM5/5/07

From: Short Bus Billy <short_b...@hushmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.fan.frank-zappa
Subject: Re: OT: Paris Hilton to Jail - No Mints on the Pillows
Date: 5 May 2007 09:16:39 -0700

From: George Bush <rednecks_a...@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: OT, attn. folks in the Mountain and Pacific time zones:
Nonagenarian Provo dancer headed for Tonight Show
Date: 5 May 2007 07:32:49 -0700

> Retarded psychopaths like...

...gilturd are so ignorant that they post words such as...

> And good riddens when he's worm food.

... "riddens?"

And, think nothing of behavior such as all of the following:

> Police Search For Con Artist Who Targets Elderly
>
> Thu May 3, 12:01 PM ET
>
> The Jacksonville Sheriff's announced on Wednesday they are
searching for a scam artist who they said bilked thousands of dollars
from elderly women around the city.

> According to authorities, all five of the scam artists' known
victims were women ranging from age 71 to 91.

> Police said the man has been posing as an
> FBI agent and getting elderly women to go to the bank and withdraw
thousands of dollars.

> They said one woman was scammed out of more than $14,000.
>
> "He's saying that he is with the FBI and introducing himself as an
agent and he has used several names, agent Callahan being one. He has
used several last names, representing himself as an FBI agent," said
JSO spokesman Ken Jefferson.

> The suspect first calls his victims posing as an agent, tells the
women he is investigating an identify theft scheme and then he goes to
their homes, takes them to the bank and instructs them to withdraw
money, police said.

> They said after he is given the money, the victims don't hear from
the con artist again.

> JSO said it believes the scam is the work of one man, and is
seeking the public's help to locate him.

> Anyone who recognizes the man in the above sketch is asked to call
Crimestoppers at 866-845-TIPS.

> asspiratejohn gilturd shows what a pussy piece of shit he is by
creating at least three more aliases for harassing people who state
how lame he is as he soils every newsgroup by his presence within them.

> L O S E R !!!!!
>

> From: jo...@piratejohn.com <jo...@piratejohn.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
> Subject: Re: Wally Schirra
> Date: 3 May 2007 09:07:39 -0700
>
> ----------------------------
>
> From: Snitch_...@hushmail.com <Snitch_...@hushmail.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.politics.immigration
> Subject: Re: Wall Street Journal Refuses to Print its Own
Immigration Poll
> Date: 2 May 2007 13:31:59 -0700

> From: cho_c...@hushmail.com
> Newsgroups: alt.fan.frank-zappa
> Subject: Cmelak's butt buddy and prison snitch pal Bill Schenley
> Date: 3 May 2007 11:46:49 -0700

> And, being a pathological liar, asspiratejohn gilturd will
undoubtedly maintain his incessant and illogical denial that the
following compiled data about him is erroneous:

jo...@piratejohn.com, jo...@buccaneerpress.com,

additional known aliases: Snitch_...@hushmail.com,