Valve adjustment time! Enthralling video of Tim's garage!

Tim Kreitz

Jan 10, 2007, 2:35:38 AM1/10/07
If you're snowed-in and bored out of your skull, you might actually
find this video interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBuzcqK4fVk

Nighty-night.

Tim Kreitz
2003 ZX7R
2000 ZX6R
http://www.timkreitz.com

Bob

Jan 10, 2007, 4:00:37 AM1/10/07

"Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Tim,

By coincidence, I'm in the middle of doing my KLR650's first valve adjust.
It needed 3 (out of 4) shims. They were at their minimum gap and, from what
the others say, things usually get tighter as time (miles) go on, so I
decide to replace them.

For my bike, some guy created a commercial video that shows how to do the
valve check and shim replacement. I bought it -- just for the peace of mind.
It was worth the $30 (imho).

On the KLR, you don't need to completely remove the cams. If you just remove
the caps you can lift the cam up enough to get the shim out of the bucket.
Is that not possible with the ZXnR?

Bob

Tim Kreitz

Jan 10, 2007, 9:45:41 AM1/10/07
Bob wrote:
> On the KLR, you don't need to completely remove the cams. If you just remove
> the caps you can lift the cam up enough to get the shim out of the bucket.
> Is that not possible with the ZXnR?

That's correct. The buckets are very tall and encapsulate the shim on
all but the valve side, so the cams must definitely be removed. I wish
it were otherwise.

One of the Suzukis I owned back in the '90s had a rocker-style top end,
which made adjustments a snap. You basically just used a rachet to make
the changes.

Ben Kaufman

Jan 10, 2007, 10:24:36 AM1/10/07

Tim,

You let a live AC wire cross over you camshafts without maintaining an
orthogonal vector? You are so hosed!!!!

Ben

Tim Kreitz

Jan 10, 2007, 10:34:05 AM1/10/07
Ben Kaufman wrote:
> You let a live AC wire cross over you camshafts without maintaining an
> orthogonal vector? You are so hosed!!!!

LOL.

Actually, I have forgone orthogonal vectors intentionally. I'm trying
to trigger the electropsychic matter transvergence of the cams' souls
through application of Eleventh Dimension M Theory. That way, the bike
will make more power. Everybody knows that.

:-)

Andrew

Jan 10, 2007, 12:11:25 PM1/10/07

I only have one manual that covers both Triumphs!
I'm not stuipid!

--
Andrew
00 Daytona

Tim Kreitz

Jan 10, 2007, 4:21:04 PM1/10/07
Andrew wrote:
> I only have one manual that covers both Triumphs!
> I'm not stuipid!

And you're not stupid, either. Heh-heh. :-)

Andrew

Jan 10, 2007, 4:36:31 PM1/10/07

I really liked the way you sketched out your valves, and which ones were
out of spec.
I am going to try and emulate that in the future.
Luckily, I only have 12 valves, as opposed to your 16.

Good video, keep em coming.

Robert Bolton

Jan 10, 2007, 9:52:46 PM1/10/07

"Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If you're snowed-in and bored out of your skull, you might actually
> find this video interesting:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBuzcqK4fVk

Thanks Tim. I've got a valve check on my list of things to do for the
Concours this winter so I take this as a warning that I'd better get
around to it.

Robert

High Plains Thumper

Jan 11, 2007, 4:29:32 AM1/11/07
Tim Kreitz wrote:
> Ben Kaufman wrote:
>> You let a live AC wire cross over you camshafts without maintaining an
>> orthogonal vector? You are so hosed!!!!
>
> LOL.
>
> Actually, I have forgone orthogonal vectors intentionally. I'm trying
> to trigger the electropsychic matter transvergence of the cams' souls
> through application of Eleventh Dimension M Theory. That way, the bike
> will make more power. Everybody knows that.
>
> :-)

But then it can't wheelie.

--
HPT

Tim Kreitz

Jan 12, 2007, 10:11:53 AM1/12/07
Andrew wrote:
> I really liked the way you sketched out your valves, and which ones were
> out of spec.
> I am going to try and emulate that in the future.
> Luckily, I only have 12 valves, as opposed to your 16.
>
> Good video, keep em coming.

Will do. My friend Roger came over the night befor last with his
manometer and we synched the carbs. I'll post a link after I get it
uploaded.

Tim Kreitz

Jan 12, 2007, 10:14:30 AM1/12/07
High Plains Thumper wrote:
> But then it can't wheelie.

Heh-heh. Well, that'll improve my 60-foot times. :-)

Tim Kreitz

Jan 12, 2007, 10:21:13 AM1/12/07
Robert Bolton wrote:
> Thanks Tim. I've got a valve check on my list of things to do for the
> Concours this winter so I take this as a warning that I'd better get
> around to it.

Yessir. Winter is the best time to get these kinds of things out of the
way. Doing the valves was an enjoyable process, but now that it's over,
I'm glad it's done. ;-)

Things done so far:

ZX6R Coolant
ZX7R Coolant
ZX6R Tires
ZX7R Valve check
ZX7R Valve set
ZX7R carb synch

This still on the to-do list:

ZX6R oil change
ZX7R oil change
ZX7R tires (tomorrow)

Cheers,

Road Glidin' Don

Jan 12, 2007, 8:48:31 PM1/12/07
On 9 Jan 2007 23:35:38 -0800, "Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>If you're snowed-in and bored out of your skull, you might actually

>find this video interesting:
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBuzcqK4fVk
>
>Nighty-night.

Nicely done, Tim!

--

Home page: http://xidos.ca

Tim Kreitz

Jan 13, 2007, 6:53:09 PM1/13/07
Road Glidin' Don wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2007 23:35:38 -0800, "Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >If you're snowed-in and bored out of your skull, you might actually
> >find this video interesting:
> >
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBuzcqK4fVk
> >
> >Nighty-night.
>
> Nicely done, Tim!

Thanks, Don. I'll try to get the carb-synch vid up tonight, since I'm
iced in and certainly won't be riding tonight. ;)

Cheers,