When journalists attack

Tim Kreitz

Mar 20, 2006, 3:12:52 PM3/20/06
Several months ago, Myrtle Beach mayor Mark McBride came under fire for
saying he had considered running into a biker with his car because he
considered the motorcyclist's shirt to be offensive. It amazes me
that, while McBride considered a shirt to be offensive, he apparently
saw nothing profane about committing a potentially deadly act of
violence against another person.

McBride was subsequently ousted at the poles during a bid for
re-election, thanks in part to efforts by several South Carolina
motorcycle rights organizations and the American Motorcyclist
association.

So with the McBride story so brightly illuminating the average person's
ignorance toward motorcycling, I shouldn't be shocked when I see op-ed
pieces by sad, angry little journalists like Douglas Simpson of the
Lake Cities Sun. Check out these outrageous quotes by Simpson:

<http://www.lakecities.com/main.asp?SectionID=27&SubSectionID=87&ArticleID=1157&TM=4895.928>

"Why are these things street legal?"

Ummm...err...well for starters, Doug, because they're economical,
environmentally friendly, alleviate traffic congestion, and reduce road
wear. And those are just a few ancillary reason off the top of my head.

Simpson's attitude is typical of the average SUV-land-barge-owning,
cell-using-while-driving, irresponsible American driver. He apparently
doesn't think he holds any responsibilities or obligations toward other
road users unless they happen to stay within the remaining peripheral
vision on each side of his onboard DVD player's video monitor. This guy
would freak out if he ever took a trip to Italy or Germany, where
motorcyclists outnumber cagers in some areas.

"Nothing irks me more than sitting in dense 5 p.m. or Friday traffic,
only to see a motorcycle driving between the rows of cars, going about
40 mph. I want so badly to open my car door just before they reach me."

Thank you, Mayor Mcbride...er...I mean, Doug. The fact that you get the
urge to kill a complete stranger just because he takes advantage of the
benefits of motorcycling makes you evil in my book, Mr. Simpson.
Intolerant, ignorant, and evil.

This willingness to commit violence exemplifies another typical flaw of
the average American cager's attitude: Entitlement Mentality. Mr.
Simpson apparently thinks that just because he and his 8,000-pound Ford
Excursion are forced to sit in a traffic jam, the rest of us should be,
too. Furthermore, he's seemingly not deep enough a thinker to realize
the dangers a motorcyclist faces by getting sandwiched in-between two
cages in heavy traffic. Lanesplitting is not an option. In heavy, urban
traffic situations, it is 100 percent necessary. That's why Texas is
currently considering legislation to legalize it.

"I remember a few years back, I think after Gary Busey had his bad
motorcycle wreck, there was a public service announcement asking
motorists to "keep an eye open for motorcyclists," like they are
being abused by us car and truck drivers."

Because we are being abused. In almost 75 percent of all car/motorcycle
accidents in the United States, the oblivious cager is found to be at
fault. We're regularly tailgated, crowded, and flat-out ignored by
others. And with attitudes like Simpson's seemingly the norm, it's no
surprise.

"I remember telling the TV, 'I'll look out for them as soon as they
start obeying traffic laws.' I'm still waiting, so in my eyes, they
are fair game."

Evil emeffer. I've said it before ad I'll say it again: Cagers don't
want to be bothered with any condition more than 5 feet in front of
their hood ornament while driving these days. Every driver should adopt
as a personal issue that motorcyclists are to be given, not the same
amount of attention and care as other motorists, but ten times as much.
And until motorists are willing to adopt that mentality and attitude,
bikers will continue to be creamed in silly ways.

Granted, there is a certain segment of motorcyclist out there
determined to go 175 mph on congested expressways, weave in and out of
traffic wildly, and stunt on the street. Those idiots will take care of
themselves, and with likely no harm to anyone else. But a few hooligans
on sportbikes are no excuse for Simpson's Auschwitzesque attitude
toward bikers and how they deserve to die.

You can bet that Simpson would be appalled if the same mentality were
taken toward, fat, lazy, out-of-shape lard asses like himself. Were I
to advocate that such people should be harmed or killed because of the
social and healthcare burdens they create, I'd be called a monster.
Meanwhile, Jagoffs like Simpson can spew their uneducated, white-trash
opinions and get published.

Welcome to wackyland.

Tim Kreitz
2003 ZX7R
2000 ZX6R
http://www.timkreitz.com

Tony

Mar 20, 2006, 3:54:36 PM3/20/06
Tim Kreitz wrote:

> <http://www.lakecities.com/main.asp?SectionID=27&SubSectionID=87&ArticleID=1157&TM=4895.928>
>
> "Why are these things street legal?"

Did you send your response to the editor? Not likely, but they just
MIGHT publish it...

Tony

Mar 20, 2006, 3:55:26 PM3/20/06
Tim Kreitz wrote:

> <http://www.lakecities.com/main.asp?SectionID=27&SubSectionID=87&ArticleID=1157&TM=4895.928>
>
> "Why are these things street legal?"

Oops to my last - just noticed that he IS the editor...

Tim Kreitz

Mar 20, 2006, 3:59:00 PM3/20/06
Tony wrote:
> Oops to my last - just noticed that he IS the editor...

I did send it it to him, though. I published this article on the The
Superbike Blog initially, which is what I sent him a link to.

king...@hotmail.com

Mar 20, 2006, 4:02:01 PM3/20/06
>>>Oops to my last - just noticed that he IS the editor... <<<

Yeah, you might not have much success with getting that published...

I think my next scoot's gonna have a 120dB air horn <G> Probably be
required safety equipment someday soon

Steve L

Mar 20, 2006, 4:12:25 PM3/20/06

"Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Several months ago, Myrtle Beach mayor Mark McBride came under fire for
> saying he had considered running into a biker with his car because he
> considered the motorcyclist's shirt to be offensive. It amazes me
> that, while McBride considered a shirt to be offensive, he apparently
> saw nothing profane about committing a potentially deadly act of
> violence against another person.
>
> McBride was subsequently ousted at the poles during a bid for
> re-election, thanks in part to efforts by several South Carolina
> motorcycle rights organizations and the American Motorcyclist
> association.
>
> So with the McBride story so brightly illuminating the average person's
> ignorance toward motorcycling, I shouldn't be shocked when I see op-ed
> pieces by sad, angry little journalists like Douglas Simpson of the
> Lake Cities Sun. Check out these outrageous quotes by Simpson:

<http://www.lakecities.com/main.asp?SectionID=27&SubSectionID=87&ArticleID=1
157&TM=4895.928>

> "Why are these things street legal?"

<lottsa good stuff deleted for brevity>

> I'd be called a monster.
> Meanwhile, Jagoffs like Simpson can spew their uneducated, white-trash
> opinions and get published.
>
> Welcome to wackyland.
>
> Tim Kreitz
> 2003 ZX7R
> 2000 ZX6R
> http://www.timkreitz.com

Tim, I dunno what happened, but the article appears not to be hter any
longer.

Maybe he read it to himself...

Tim Kreitz

Mar 20, 2006, 5:22:48 PM3/20/06
Steve L wrote:
> Tim, I dunno what happened, but the article appears not to be hter any
> longer.

I saw that. I imagine they were getting hammered left and right. Now,
if we can just get an apology out of them.

Bob Mann

Mar 20, 2006, 5:35:35 PM3/20/06
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:12:25 -0500, "Steve L" <srl...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Tim, I dunno what happened, but the article appears not to be hter any
>longer.
>
>Maybe he read it to himself...

Could be that he realized that he had advocated murder and might be
held liable to any damages caused if someone was to take his advice.

I wonder how he would feel if a friend or relative was killed by
someone doing as he suggested.
--
Bob Mann
85 K100RS (traded for...)

chornbe

Mar 20, 2006, 5:35:23 PM3/20/06

Tim Kreitz wrote:
> Steve L wrote:
> > Tim, I dunno what happened, but the article appears not to be hter any
> > longer.
>
> I saw that. I imagine they were getting hammered left and right. Now,
> if we can just get an apology out of them.

Good luck. If *anything*, there might be something like "... a working
draft of an article that was not complete and not yet ready for public
viewing was inadvertantly published and we want to apologize for the
inconvenience..."

That's a phrase I'm getting sick of hearing... "... apologize for the
inconvenience..."

It's not inconvenient having public voices do things like advocate
killing motorcyclists. It's fucking tantamount to conspiracy to commit
man slaughter, IMO.

Great response, by the way. Well done.

Jerry Gardner

Mar 20, 2006, 7:58:31 PM3/20/06
Tim Kreitz wrote:

> <http://www.lakecities.com/main.asp?SectionID=27&SubSectionID=87&ArticleID=1157&TM=4895.928>

Anyone have a mirror of the article? The original appears to be gone.

Jerry

Mar 20, 2006, 8:21:00 PM3/20/06

"Bob Mann" <wil...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I wrote to the following and sent it to them today before the article was
pulled. It will be interesting to see if any apology materializes.

Jerry

Dear Mr. Henry,

I would like to address a few items published by your paper on 3/16/06 by
your Managing Editor Douglas Simpson regarding motorcycles.

I am extremely unhappy that something like this gets published. You have
advocated nothing short of murder.

I (and fellow motorcyclists) have to continually watch for motorists when I
ride my motorcycle. I also drive a car and it is very different than being
on the road with my motorcycle. Many times I am forced off the road or run
out of my lane because someone decides they need it instead of me. I get
tailgated along with other attempts to intimidate me while riding. I
continually have to dodge cars and trucks and occasionally have to fend for
my life when riding due to people like Douglas Simpson who think I don't
have the right to be on the roads and don't care if I am harmed by their
behavior.

I find it reprehensible that anyone would advocate bodily injury or death to
someone for a traffic violation. The fact that Douglas Simpson even has the
thought to open his door on someone much less the paper publishing such
hatred and anger regarding motorcycles is very disturbing. This is the thing
road rage is made of and has no place in our society.

His statement "I'll look out for them as soon as they start obeying traffic
laws." I'm still waiting, so in my eyes, they are fair game." would lead the
readers to believe they have the right or obligation to maim, injure or kill
motorcyclists. Is this the Sun's position regarding motorcyclists on our
roads? What about bicyclists? Do you advocate running them down from behind
if given the opportunity?

Not all of us violate the laws as Douglas Simpson writes about. Even though
most of us don't ride in this manner, I truly fail to see how someone lane
splitting (legal in many parts of the world and will be in Texas at some
point) on a motorcycle would cause such anger in Douglas Simpson to where
this traffic violation would merit some kind of instant justice punishable
by injury or death.

How does this personally affect him that he would entertain violence against
them? Is it because he has chosen to use a car as transportation and is
stuck in traffic and someone else has chosen another means of transportation
that allows them to not be? What kind of anger problem does he have?

Not all motorcyclists ride the type of motorcycles or ride in the manner
Douglas Simpson portrays in his article. I am sure he has seen many
motorcycles on the road that were not breaking the law or riding
irresponsibly. He has chosen to completely ignore them and actually goes a
step further to advance the belief all motorcyclists are nothing but law
breakers. Why is this?

Would we be led to believe Douglas Simpson has never broken any traffic
laws? That he is the only one that complies with every rule? I bet he has
broken plenty of laws and rules given the self-centered slant of his
writhing. This being so, I can only read his article with the understanding
he has a hatred of motorcyclists and would desire to see them injured or
killed. This is a pretty low standard for your employees and your paper. I
only wonder what other antisocial attitudes are brewing at the Lake Cities
Sun.

Thankfully, when I have broken traffic laws, I was given a citation and not
a bullet to the head as Douglas Simpson would surely have done.

I can only hope some kind of professional mental health counseling and
treatment is sought for your employees before they kill someone.

Shame on everyone associated with this article.

Regards,

Jerry XXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX

Ben Kaufman

Mar 20, 2006, 11:18:18 PM3/20/06

I went there but there is no article. Just a blank page with his picture.

Ben

Message has been deleted

Turby

Mar 21, 2006, 3:33:45 AM3/21/06
On 20 Mar 2006 12:12:52 -0800, "Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

><http://www.lakecities.com/main.asp?SectionID=27&SubSectionID=87&ArticleID=1157&TM=4895.928>

My response through "editorial feedback":

"At first, I thought your editor might be the person who intentionally
hit me while I was riding my motorcycle, but that person is still in
Folsom Prison, doing time for assault with a deadly weapon.

One has to wonder, though, what other felonies does your paper
advocate? And are you ready to take responsibility for them?"

--
Turby the Turbosurfer

Jeff Mayner

Mar 21, 2006, 3:55:39 AM3/21/06

I hope you took the time to draw a mustache, dorky glasses, and blacked out
a few teeth. A wart or two would be cool as well. ;-)

buck12ga

Mar 21, 2006, 8:39:31 AM3/21/06
I wrote the paper a letter to the editor complaining about Simpson's
idiocy. Some of you guys could certainly write a better e-mail than I
could, I wish you would.

Buck

buck12ga

Mar 21, 2006, 8:43:32 AM3/21/06
In article <dbev12t0gci8qc56v...@4ax.com>,
turbo...@beach.comber says...
Great response!

Buck

Andrew

Mar 21, 2006, 9:24:55 AM3/21/06
Here is what I sent to the folks at that horrid excuse for a newspaper:

It was with great horror that I read the above mentioned piece online.
Motorcyclists as 'fair game'??? To call this piece irresponsible is an
extreme understatement. The author of this article whines and complains
about the actions of a few and then, in self righteous indignance, pens an
essay that is easily reckless as the motorcycle riders that he is
complaining about! Why did Mr. Simpson not include reckless car drivers and
truck drivers in his thoughtless rant? I guess that is okay, because he
drives a car, but, anyone on a motorcycle should be earmarked for death.
I found some humor in the fact that he was complaining about how "I
challenge anyone out there to remember a time they saw a motorcycle that was
driving the speed limit and adhering to all traffic laws". Funny, I have
driven in the Dallas area (and ridden my motorcycle), I challenge anyone out
there to remember a time when they saw ANY VEHICLE that was driving the
speed limit and adhering to all traffic laws. In fact, I would be greatly
surprised if Mr. Simpson always obeyed all traffic laws. The hypocrisy in
his article is quite evident.
As a motorcyclist and motorcycle instructor, I find Mr. Simpson's
attitude outrageous and reprehensible. He is abusing his position as a
managing editor by advocating violence against a very small portion of the
commuting public. While I agree that the people he saw should not have been
doing what they were, that is no justification against calling for violence.
There are far more serious menaces on the road than a few errant
motorcyclists. What about the soccer mom driving around in her SUV,
chatting on her cell phone? Now THERE is a real danger on the road! If a
motorcyclist screws up, chances are 99% that they will be the only one
injured. When the soccer mom screws up, many people can be hurt. Why
doesn't he rant about them? They are far more dangerous and far more
numerous!!
In my opinion, Mr. Simpson has shown himself to be an under-informed,
self righteous hypocrite of the worst order. This man appears to have no
interest in being fair or even realistic and should not be permitted to
publish anything in the public domain.

Thank you for your time

Bob Mann

Mar 21, 2006, 11:25:05 AM3/21/06
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 06:06:50 GMT, "Stephen!" <N...@spam.com> wrote:

>3/16/2006 10:40:00 AM
>Airing of grievances
>Douglas Simpson, Managing Editor
>
>To quote Seinfeld’s Frank Costanza at Festivus dinner, now is the time
>for the airing of grievances. Usually there’s one hot topic to prompt me
>to write a column, as my fingers angrily dance across the keyboard. But
>there are a few things that are, well, bugging me that I need to address.
>Here they are, in no particular order:

Nice to know he doesn't have a clue what he is tlking about on more
than just the topic of motorcycles.

Tony

Mar 21, 2006, 1:28:45 PM3/21/06
Stephen! wrote:
> I remember
> telling the TV, “I’ll look out for them as soon as they start obeying
> traffic laws.” I’m still waiting, so in my eyes, they are fair game.

Hmm -

It seems to me that Mr. Simpson hates motorcyclists. It also seems to me
that he is advocating the commission of criminal acts against those same
motorcyclists.

That would mean that his "editiorial" is advocating the commission of a
hate crime.

I think there may be laws against that, at least in some places.

On another note - has anyone bothered to contact the ADVERTISERS in the
newspaper to let them know about the sort of hateful, criminal
statements the editorial staff is making? I'll bet there are at least a
few who wouldn't want to be associated with the paper if they knew about
this...

Bob Mann

Mar 21, 2006, 1:54:58 PM3/21/06

Fortunately, my impression of Texas is that Mr. Simpson is in the
minority.

king...@hotmail.com

Mar 21, 2006, 4:28:58 PM3/21/06
<snip Stephen!'s Doug Simpson rant>

I'm no expert, but that guy sounds like a potential sociopath to me, at
worst. At best he's just a miserable prick.

Ben Kaufman

Mar 21, 2006, 10:54:15 PM3/21/06

Sorry, but my 19" LCD screen cost to much to draw on it. :-)

Ben

Ben Kaufman

Mar 21, 2006, 10:55:17 PM3/21/06

He puts the Ass in Texas? :-)

Ben

Bob Mann

Mar 22, 2006, 12:52:59 AM3/22/06

Somebody has to. :-)

Albert Nurick

Mar 22, 2006, 11:09:50 AM3/22/06
Good post, Tim. Simpson's a jerk, and I'm glad the powers that be at
his paper yanked his hate-spewing article.

It does raise an issue, though. How many in the general public feel
the same way? Irritated by motorcyclists?

--
Albert Nurick | "Everyone is entitled to his own
alb...@nurick.com | opinion, but not his own facts."

.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

Mar 22, 2006, 11:35:31 AM3/22/06
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:09:50 GMT, "Albert Nurick" <alb...@nurick.com>
wrote:

>Good post, Tim. Simpson's a jerk, and I'm glad the powers that be at
>his paper yanked his hate-spewing article.
>
>It does raise an issue, though. How many in the general public feel
>the same way? Irritated by motorcyclists?

Let's face it, there is SOME justification for it.

Like anything else, the things that DON'T attract your
attention, you forget. The things that DO, you remember. You don't
remember the 100 nice friendly dogs you've petted, but you DO remember
the one that bit you.

I don't recall the ( who knows how many ? ) ' normal' bikes
and riders that have passed me on the highway, etc, over the years,
but I DO remember the 2 rice-burner crotch-rocket Ninja-types that
passed me on a back-country road at ~ 90 MPH, when I was doing the
posted limit of 45.

I DO remember the guy I worked with that had a tricked-out HD
that was so loud, when he pulled up in the parking lot, the people
inside couldn't do their jobs until he turned the damned thing off.
And he never pulled up without reving the hell out of it, just to show
off.

This kind of thing is all a lot of people know about riding.
That, and the BS they see in the movies and TV and video games about
the supposed ( fictional ) 'lifestyle' of 'those nasty bikers'.

I'm not saying it's 'right', I'm saying it's 'human nature'.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

Albert Nurick

Mar 22, 2006, 4:35:20 PM3/22/06
.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:09:50 GMT, "Albert Nurick" <alb...@nurick.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > It does raise an issue, though. How many in the general public feel
> > the same way? Irritated by motorcyclists?
>
> Let's face it, there is SOME justification for it.
>
> Like anything else, the things that DON'T attract your
> attention, you forget. The things that DO, you remember. You don't
> remember the 100 nice friendly dogs you've petted, but you DO remember
> the one that bit you.
>
> I don't recall the ( who knows how many ? ) ' normal' bikes
> and riders that have passed me on the highway, etc, over the years,
> but I DO remember the 2 rice-burner crotch-rocket Ninja-types that
> passed me on a back-country road at ~ 90 MPH, when I was doing the
> posted limit of 45.
>
> I DO remember the guy I worked with that had a tricked-out HD
> that was so loud, when he pulled up in the parking lot, the people
> inside couldn't do their jobs until he turned the damned thing off.
> And he never pulled up without reving the hell out of it, just to show
> off.
>
> This kind of thing is all a lot of people know about riding.
> That, and the BS they see in the movies and TV and video games about
> the supposed ( fictional ) 'lifestyle' of 'those nasty bikers'.
>
> I'm not saying it's 'right', I'm saying it's 'human nature'.

Agreed. Good post.

P.Roehling

Mar 22, 2006, 4:52:52 PM3/22/06

"Albert Nurick" <alb...@nurick.com> wrote

> Good post, Tim. Simpson's a jerk, and I'm glad the powers that be at
> his paper yanked his hate-spewing article.
>
> It does raise an issue, though. How many in the general public feel
> the same way? Irritated by motorcyclists?

I know of quite a few who feel that way since last Sunday.

As my wife and I were leaving an art show we chanced upon a chopper rider
who was trying to go down an adjacent street that was closed for valet
parking. After a loud and profane argument, the parking crew finally got him
turned around, and the biker then pulled a 30-second burnout at full
unmuffled throttle to demonstrate how he felt about the situation. He then
flipped off everyone within sight and peeled out of there as fast as he
could, chromed Nazi helmet shining in the sun...

This is an image that everyone who saw it will remember for a long time, and
it will almost certainly over-ride the hundreds of times they've seen bikers
behaving normally (and legally).

Pete

Tony

Mar 22, 2006, 6:22:49 PM3/22/06

How different is that from someone who was jumped by 3 black gang
members, and now thinks all blacks are criminals?

How different is that from someone who was abused by a gay man as a
child and now thinks that all gays are child molestors?

Please explain, because I can't see the difference.

People who hate motorcyclists because of what a few individuals have
done are just as much bigots as the KKK & crowd.

P.Roehling

Mar 22, 2006, 8:17:06 PM3/22/06

"Tony" <ton...@dslextreme.WHATISTHIS.com> wrote

> How different is that from someone who was jumped by 3 black gang members,
> and now thinks all blacks are criminals?
>
> How different is that from someone who was abused by a gay man as a child
> and now thinks that all gays are child molestors?
>
> Please explain, because I can't see the difference.

Why should I have to explain *reality* to you?

Tony

Mar 22, 2006, 9:11:16 PM3/22/06

*Reality* is that people judge based on their experiences. We holler
about bigotry (or racism) when someone hates blacks - even if they have
a specific experience that leads them to that feeling, but we accept the
SAME KIND of bigotry when people hate motorcyclists because of a
negative experience with one.

I KNOW what reality is - it's the people who want to legislate how
people feel and think who don't.

Bob Mann

Mar 22, 2006, 9:54:38 PM3/22/06

There is a slight difference between being the victim of a violent
crime and being annoyed by someone exercising a little freedom.

P.Roehling

Mar 23, 2006, 12:41:00 AM3/23/06

"Tony" <ton...@dslextreme.WHATISTHIS.com> wrote

> *Reality* is that people judge based on their experiences. We holler about
> bigotry (or racism) when someone hates blacks - even if they have a
> specific experience that leads them to that feeling, but we accept the
> SAME KIND of bigotry when people hate motorcyclists because of a negative
> experience with one.

Uh, personally I don't get upset when people act like people. Neither do I
try to stop the tide or piss into the wind.

> I KNOW what reality is - it's the people who want to legislate how people
> feel and think who don't.

I'm sure that you thought you meant something by that, but I'm darned if I
can figure out what it was.

Tony

Mar 23, 2006, 1:07:26 PM3/23/06
Bob Mann wrote:

> There is a slight difference between being the victim of a violent
> crime and being annoyed by someone exercising a little freedom.

True - but using that argument, there should be MORE understanding for
those in the first category than those in the second, right?

Tim Kreitz

Mar 23, 2006, 4:46:02 PM3/23/06
P.Roehling wrote:
> This is an image that everyone who saw it will remember for a long time, and
> it will almost certainly over-ride the hundreds of times they've seen bikers
> behaving normally (and legally).

You're absolutely right. Good point. Perception becomes reality very
quickly in a situation like that. Of course, that doesn't excuse what
Simpson wrote, as I'm sure you'll agree, since both patterns of
behavior are essentially the same.

That said, I think the over-all number of aggressive personalities is
probably higher in motorcycling than in other pastimes. For example, I
-- while generally a polite, reasonable person -- do have a flashpoint
of my own when pushed. But I'm always mindful that losing my temper
while riding is a sure and easy way to become a detriment to myself
and/or others. That's why I always put extra effort into think calmly
when motorcycling, especially when confronted with the actions of
stupid drivers. Failing to control your emotions on a bike always
carries a higher price than using discretion.

P.Roehling

Mar 23, 2006, 5:14:50 PM3/23/06

"Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com> wrote

> You're absolutely right. Good point. Perception becomes reality very
> quickly in a situation like that. Of course, that doesn't excuse what
> Simpson wrote, as I'm sure you'll agree, since both patterns of
> behavior are essentially the same.

Simpson is a frothing idiot. Hopefully none of the people who saw our
asshole biker's performance will react as Simpson would; by wanting to kill
or maim the biker. But they *will* react negatively, and a lot of 'em will
transfer that negative reaction to bikers in general. Us.

> That said, I think the over-all number of aggressive personalities is
> probably higher in motorcycling than in other pastimes. For example, I
> -- while generally a polite, reasonable person -- do have a flashpoint
> of my own when pushed.

Me too, damnit! But I try not to be that way while I'm riding.

> But I'm always mindful that losing my temper
> while riding is a sure and easy way to become a detriment to myself
> and/or others. That's why I always put extra effort into think calmly
> when motorcycling, especially when confronted with the actions of
> stupid drivers. Failing to control your emotions on a bike always
> carries a higher price than using discretion.

Yes.

Pete

Bob Mann

Mar 23, 2006, 7:55:33 PM3/23/06

I think that's the point.
The author is just a plain asshole.

Bob Mann

Mar 23, 2006, 7:56:58 PM3/23/06
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:14:50 -0800, "P.Roehling"
<Pete.R...@CUTOUTeee.org> wrote:

>Simpson is a frothing idiot. Hopefully none of the people who saw our
>asshole biker's performance will react as Simpson would; by wanting to kill
>or maim the biker. But they *will* react negatively, and a lot of 'em will
>transfer that negative reaction to bikers in general. Us.

I don't think so.
I think the average person knows enough people who ride to know that
an asshole is just an asshole.

P.Roehling

Mar 24, 2006, 1:57:01 AM3/24/06

"Bob Mann" <wil...@hotmail.com> wrote

> <Pete.R...@CUTOUTeee.org> wrote:
>
>>Simpson is a frothing idiot. Hopefully none of the people who saw our
>>asshole biker's performance will react as Simpson would; by wanting to
>>kill
>>or maim the biker. But they *will* react negatively, and a lot of 'em will
>>transfer that negative reaction to bikers in general. Us.
>
> I don't think so.
> I think the average person knows enough people who ride to know that
> an asshole is just an asshole.

Well, I wish that were the case; but frankly, I think you're giving the
general public credit for way too many smarts.

Pete

Turby

Mar 24, 2006, 2:23:29 AM3/24/06
On 23 Mar 2006 13:46:02 -0800, "Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>... But I'm always mindful that losing my temper

>while riding is a sure and easy way to become a detriment to myself
>and/or others.

Especially when there are so many certified sociopaths, felons, and
general whackos on the road.

--
Turby the Turbosurfer

Bob Mann

Mar 24, 2006, 10:42:01 AM3/24/06

I just have never run into people who thought I was an asshole because
I rode a bike.
Some may think I am an asshole for other reasons though. :-D

Robert Bolton

Mar 24, 2006, 11:19:16 PM3/24/06

"Bob Mann" <wil...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I merged onto the Seward Highway one morning, ending up behind a guy who stuck
his arm out his window, held his cigarette high in the air, and flicked it
upward, presumably with the intent of having it still airborne when it reached
me. Bad mood I assumed.

Robert

Ben Kaufman

Mar 26, 2006, 10:14:43 PM3/26/06
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:56:58 -0600, Bob Mann <wil...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:14:50 -0800, "P.Roehling"
><Pete.R...@CUTOUTeee.org> wrote:
>
>>Simpson is a frothing idiot. Hopefully none of the people who saw our
>>asshole biker's performance will react as Simpson would; by wanting to kill
>>or maim the biker. But they *will* react negatively, and a lot of 'em will
>>transfer that negative reaction to bikers in general. Us.
>
>I don't think so.
>I think the average person knows enough people who ride to know that
>an asshole is just an asshole.

Hmmm. I was under the impression that most people didn't know a motorcyclist
(including people who do not know that one or more of the people they know are
riders). And that's why so many cagers are inconsiderate of motorcycles.

Ben

David Steuber

Mar 27, 2006, 1:08:21 AM3/27/06
Turby <turbo...@beach.comber> writes:

You're leaving out the much larger group of uncertified sociopaths and
general whackos. I'm assuming all felons are by definition certified
by conviction of a jury of their peers.

I am happy to be uncertified ;-)

--
http://www.david-steuber.com/
1998 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

Turby

Mar 27, 2006, 2:29:26 PM3/27/06
On 27 Mar 2006 01:08:21 -0500, David Steuber <da...@david-steuber.com>
wrote:

>Turby <turbo...@beach.comber> writes:
>
>> On 23 Mar 2006 13:46:02 -0800, "Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >... But I'm always mindful that losing my temper
>> >while riding is a sure and easy way to become a detriment to myself
>> >and/or others.
>>
>> Especially when there are so many certified sociopaths, felons, and
>> general whackos on the road.
>
>You're leaving out the much larger group of uncertified sociopaths and
>general whackos. I'm assuming all felons are by definition certified
>by conviction of a jury of their peers.

OK OK. So make it "general whackos, felons, and certified sociopaths."
Satisfied now?

/mumble on/
friggin pedants
/mumble off/

>I am happy to be uncertified ;-)

They just haven't assessed you yet.

--
Turby the Turbosurfer

Alan Moore

Mar 27, 2006, 8:30:07 PM3/27/06
wrote:

>Turby <turbo...@beach.comber> writes:

>> On 23 Mar 2006 13:46:02 -0800, "Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >... But I'm always mindful that losing my temper
>> >while riding is a sure and easy way to become a detriment to myself
>> >and/or others.
>>
>> Especially when there are so many certified sociopaths, felons, and
>> general whackos on the road.
>
>You're leaving out the much larger group of uncertified sociopaths and
>general whackos. I'm assuming all felons are by definition certified
>by conviction of a jury of their peers.
>
>I am happy to be uncertified ;-)

A friend of my brother was a certifiable idiot, and had the
certificate to prove it. Some guys talked him into driving his pickup
truck for them as they knocked over a TV store. The police caught them
as they were driving off with the loot and pulled him over. Although
the guys who'd talked him into it were all hauled away in handcuffs,
he wasn't even cited.

For an idiot, he was a pretty good driver, now that I think of it. I
know plenty of allegedly intelligent people who don't drive as well as
he did.

Al Moore
DoD 734