The changing Harley mystique and other on topics.

Thumper

Nov 27, 2006, 11:20:45 PM11/27/06
Things sure changed over the years. It used to be Harley riders were
profiled as criminals by law enforcement, regardless of the riders
background.

Now, even though every biker bar I pass has a row of Harleys parked in front
of it, the police are extremely friendly and cordial to me. Sometimes waving
and nodding in approval at my quite loud, hot rod (ha, an oxymoron if I ever
heard one), Road King. Once, when I was splitting traffic on the RK, I saw a
CHP on an RT come up behind me. I pulled over to let him go and he waved
"thanks" as he passed. Times have sure changed.

Never in almost 30,000 miles have I had a problem with law enforcement on
the RK. Yet, on the Crest and around the Rock Store at least, they're all
over sportbike riders, just for aftermarket turnsignals and mirrors.

Usually I received the same reception when I had my RT. Sometimes, due to
the fact I wear a white helmet in the summer, I think that the cager cops
thought I was one of them as they waved and nodded, as well.

I got pulled over once, on a bike, within the last 5 years. I was on Misty,
my now traded in R1150RT. The Kern County cager Sheriff asked me if I had
been drinking. I said "no". He looked shocked and said "Nothing?" I said
"nothing, I haven't had a drink in 17 years". He actually apologized for
pulling me over, told me to watch my speed and left. I was shocked.

One thing that hasn't changed is the bias against motorcycles involved in
any kind of an accident, by insurance companies and attorneys. I had hoped
that attitude would have changed over the last 31 years. But, In my 2 year
old, felony hit and run (not me) accident on Cat's bike, her insurance
company, Pacific Specialty, has stonewalled to the point that my attorney
has given up, as he didn't demand enough payment to cover a PI case. He
thought they would deal with him. It turns out they won't deal with anyone.
They don't even return their insured phone calls. So, again, after 2 years
they still haven't even sent an adjuster to look at her bike. I paid to have
it f*ckin' thing fixed myself. After 2 years, they are still stonewalling.

By the way, a warning. Don't get Pacific Speciality as your motorcycle
insurance carrier, you'll be sorry.

oasysco

Nov 28, 2006, 8:06:51 AM11/28/06
I can certianly say that my perception has changed. When I was a kid
and saw Harley riders, I thought of them as crooks with a romantic
I'm-one-with-the-road type of twist.

Now when I see folks riding Harleys, I figure they have more money than
me :)-

One major change... when I was a kid and saw chicks riding, it was
mostly on the back as a passenger. Now, they ride their own rides and
man, there's something about a lady riding a motorcycle... in a word -
"sexy".

Greg

Tim Kreitz

Nov 28, 2006, 11:02:16 AM11/28/06
Thumper wrote:
> Things sure changed over the years. It used to be Harley riders were
> profiled as criminals by law enforcement, regardless of the riders
> background. [snip]

> Never in almost 30,000 miles have I had a problem with law enforcement on
> the RK. Yet, on the Crest and around the Rock Store at least, they're all
> over sportbike riders, just for aftermarket turnsignals and mirrors. [snip]

Police in general, especially the revenue-driven CHP, will almost
always focus on the easiest enforcement targets. After all, writing
frivolous tickets for aftermarket turn signals is easier than doing
real policework, and it pays the same. In the '70s it was choppers, in
the '00s it's sportbikes. So really, not much has changed at all. Cops
are still regularly violating the civil rights of those they've sworn
to protect -- while the mindless, uniformed masses look on in approval.

Tim Kreitz
2003 ZX7R
2000 ZX6R
http://www.timkreitz.com

James Prine

Nov 28, 2006, 11:58:24 AM11/28/06
Tim Kreitz wrote:

> Cops are still regularly violating the civil rights of those they've sworn
> to protect -- while the mindless, uniformed masses look on in approval.

So tell us how long you've been a cop, Tim.

Best,

James

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Nov 28, 2006, 1:05:01 PM11/28/06
Tim Kreitz wrote:

> -- while the mindless, uniformed masses look on in approval.

The masses wear uniforms now? Ahhh, should be easy to tell who they
are...

--
-bts

Tim Kreitz

Nov 28, 2006, 3:42:23 PM11/28/06

Is it that obvious? Heh. Yes, I was in law enforcement for about a
year, and it was one of the most enlightening, disillusioning
experiences of my life. I'm very glad I walked away, but wouldn't trade
that time for anything.

Tim Kreitz

Nov 28, 2006, 3:46:08 PM11/28/06

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Tim Kreitz wrote:
>
> > -- while the mindless, uniformed masses look on in approval.
>
> The masses wear uniforms now? Ahhh, should be easy to tell who they
> are...

Hmmm. Ya know, even despite the typo, both words seem to work in their
own respective ways. :)

Oh, BTW, according to Skitt's Law, you'll be the next to make a grammar
and/or spelling error. I'll be sure to point it out if possible, as it
is now my rite. :-)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Nov 28, 2006, 5:11:41 PM11/28/06
Tim Kreitz wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Tim Kreitz wrote:
>>
>>> -- while the mindless, uniformed masses look on in approval.
>>
>> The masses wear uniforms now? Ahhh, should be easy to tell who they
>> are...
>
> Hmmm. Ya know, even despite the typo, both words seem to work in
> their own respective ways. :)
>
> Oh, BTW, according to Skitt's Law, you'll be the next to make a
> grammar and/or spelling error. I'll be sure to point it out if
> possible, as it is now my rite. :-)

Me? Maik a speeling eroor? Noot on yer liffe!

As a cheild, I one speeling beez!

Bob Mann

Nov 28, 2006, 7:01:08 PM11/28/06
On 28 Nov 2006 08:02:16 -0800, "Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Aftermarket turn signals are illegal?
I thought as long as they functioned properly....

What do they do with home built customs?
--
Bob Mann

Before you critisize someone,
you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you critisize them,
you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

BryanUT

Nov 28, 2006, 7:29:33 PM11/28/06

"Bob Mann" <Bo...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

http://www.timkreitz.com

> Aftermarket turn signals are illegal?
> I thought as long as they functioned properly....
>
> What do they do with home built customs?
> --
> Bob Mann
>
> Before you critisize someone,
> you should walk a mile in their shoes.
> That way, when you critisize them,
> you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Not all aftermarket turn signals are illegal. They just have to be DOT
(Dept of Trans) approved, for size, brightness that kind of stuff.

In Utah it isn't even clear if a bike must have turn signals, expecially
older bikes.

Bryan

James Prine

Nov 28, 2006, 9:24:52 PM11/28/06
Tim Kreitz wrote:

> Is it that obvious? Heh. Yes, I was in law enforcement for about a
> year, and it was one of the most enlightening, disillusioning
> experiences of my life. I'm very glad I walked away, but wouldn't trade
> that time for anything.

I wore a variety of badges over the years, including Municipal, Parish
(county), State, and Federal.

As for being enlightening and disillusioning, you certainly got that
right. I even published a book concerning the adventures (and
misadventures) of metro New Orleans LEOs. As you can well imagine,
*that* made me really popular with the white-shirted, brass-hatted
office lizards who hadn't kicked in a door in 30 years (if they ever
even worked the street).

I never worked traffic much (thank God); I preferred "real police work"
and luckily I managed to stay in that racket for a number of years. I
always thought others' civil rights were more important than a super
clearance rate, but then I don't have to impress anyone but myself, and
I can look myself in the mirror even now and not turn away in shame.

Thanks for your service, and please stay safe out there!

Best,

James

Hawke

Nov 28, 2006, 10:59:31 PM11/28/06

"Tim Kreitz" <timk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

What! I thought they were out there risking their lives for us every day. At
least that is what I hear from law enforcement shills all the time. Now you
tell me they are just out to take money off of us. What is this world coming
to? I'm so disappointed. All this time I thought the cops' only goal was to
serve and protect us.

Hawke