Eddie's Support and how it all started. (Blast from the past)

SunShine

Feb 16, 2004, 11:16:53 AM2/16/04
I was talking to Ann this morning, and she is claiming that the van idea
was mine, and I swore it was hers, but it doesn't matter because ya'll made
it happen.

But in looking at old posts, I did find a thread that I feel is the
"offishal" beginning of the fundraising and financial support that sustains
Eddie's quality of life. Without all of you and God up above, his life
would have been the mundane existence that it was in when I first started
visiting Eddie. Anyone who visited Eddie before the van will no doubtedly
agree with me. Having a van to get him out into the world, having friends
coming by to visit him, cards, gifts, prayers and good vibes - they have
done wonderful things for someone I care very deeply about. Thank you.

<shit "quick, Tarbender, another round">

So, here is how it all began..... Enjoy.

NOTE: This is an OLD OLD OLD thread. Links and such are most likely out of
date.

The ONLY Reference you need is http://eddiekieger.com !!!

--------------------------------------------------------( blast from the
past )-------------------------------------
From: V. Menard (cud...@not.likely.interaccess.com)
Subject: REMEMBERING EDDIE KIEGER...HELP HIM!

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: 1997/01/19

Cuda and I met Eddie Kieger at Sturgis in '92, although we "met" him a
year earlier on rmh. Eddie....I still have trouble thinking of him in his
current situation. Eddie lived hard, and rode hard.

Eddie was so full of energy, he made _me_ look like I was on valium! He
was very intent, with piercing eyes, and was not at all hesitant to share
his ideas.
He was lean, but powerful, somewhat like a swimmer's body, but much
stronger.

I'd describe Eddie as a "colorful" individual, in a good way. Cuda and I
enjoyed the short time we had with him at Sturgis, and riding with Eddie
back to Stafford's. (we were on our way back to Chicago; he stopped at
John's.)

After that, Eddie and I communicated via e'mail, sharing ideas, stories,
and scheming one way or another. When I heard of his accident, I didn't
want to believe it. First, I couldn't imagine Eddie having to live day by
day in his current condition, and second, because all of us know that it
can happen to any of us. But it does.

Those of you who never got to know him before, you can help him now!
PLEASE, time is very short! His mom, Ann, has been a true saint. She has
worked with Eddie daily since his accident, and has struggled as most of
us will never know.

ANN NEEDS OUR HELP, AND SHE NEEDS IT NOW! Please, do what you can, but do
it THIS WEEK! Sunshine will let us know where to send our checks, and to
whom to make out the check to. Those of you who don't know these people,
don't worry. Sunshine is good people, Ann is good people, Eddie is good
people.

Cuda and I are sending out a check as soon as the information is
published. Please, write a check for $10 , $20, or what you can afford.
It _will_ help!

Thanks for listening...

mikey (with Cuda's blessing)

--
White trash - it's not just an attitude; it's an adventure.

Message 2 in thread
From: Natural Born Cereal Killer (vik...@probe.net)
Subject: Re: REMEMBERING EDDIE KIEGER...HELP HIM!

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: 1997/01/21

cud...@not.likely.interaccess.com (V. Menard) writes:

>ANN NEEDS OUR HELP, AND SHE NEEDS IT NOW! Please, do what you can, but do
>it THIS WEEK!

I hate to sound corporate, but I've set up a meeting. $8k is
chicken feed for a corporate advertising budget. If I can get some
clients behind the effort, and I'll donate my time of course, I think
I can raise the money without too much trouble. Updates as I find out.

You might have to look at a couple of corporate logo's as
you peruse the items for auction on my server. I think that's worth
Eddie's van for. At least, that's what I'm proposing to the High
Command this morning. I'll post an update as I find out details.

Keep the auction going, folks -- I'm looking to get some
deep pockets involved, but they will want something for it. I
will shut them down if they do a spam or binary post, but as I
think about the mail and stories Eddie and I shared with each other
I think I can bring myyself to tolerate a logo or link in a page.

--
* Dan Sorenson DoD #1066 ASSHOLE #35 vik...@probe.net *
* Vikings? There ain't no vikings here. Just us honest farmers. *

Message 3 in thread
From: SunShine (gr...@pmw.org)

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: 1997/01/21

Natural Born Cereal Killer wrote:

> cud...@not.likely.interaccess.com (V. Menard) writes:
>
> >ANN NEEDS OUR HELP, AND SHE NEEDS IT NOW! Please, do what you can, but
do
> >it THIS WEEK!
>
> I hate to sound corporate, but I've set up a meeting. $8k is
> chicken feed for a corporate advertising budget. If I can get some
> clients behind the effort, and I'll donate my time of course, I think
> I can raise the money without too much trouble. Updates as I find out.

Also, when we reach the $8000, we can still contribute. Eddie gets only
maintenance Physical Therapy, insurance will not cover any more intense
therapy because in the very short period of time the allot for
appraisal, they don't see the improvement. Any funds above and beyond
the price of the van will go for this therapy. Curently all the 'extra'
therapy is done by Ann herself, though she has to go thru a hassle to
use the weight room.

--
__ __ '80 CX500 "Commander"
( ) ( )

Eddie Kieger information: http://www.psc.edu/eddie Please Help!

Message 4 in thread
From: M. Menard (f...@interaccess.com)

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: 1997/01/21

In article <32E518EC...@pmw.org>, SunShine <gr...@pmw.org> wrote:

> Also, when we reach the $8000, we can still contribute. Eddie gets only
> maintenance Physical Therapy, insurance will not cover any more intense
> therapy because in the very short period of time the allot for
> appraisal, they don't see the improvement. Any funds above and beyond
> the price of the van will go for this therapy. Curently all the 'extra'
> therapy is done by Ann herself, though she has to go thru a hassle to
> use the weight room.

Ya know what? Each of us could set up an "automatic withdrawal" in our
accounts for $10 a month...If 3,000 of us did it, Eddie would have $30,000
per month for therapy...See, a little _does_ go a long way!

Sunshine...since this is yours (thanks...I owe you BIG on this...I'll even
baby sit at MITM for ya ...once!) what do you think?

Michael Menard
AKA mikey

> Eddie Kieger information: http://www.psc.edu/eddie Please Help!
--
White trash - it's not just an attitude; it's an adventure.

Message 5 in thread
From: V. Menard (cud...@interaccess.com)

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: 1997/01/21

In article <fxb-210197...@d106.cloud.interaccess.com>,
f...@interaccess.com (M. Menard) wrote:

> In article <32E518EC...@pmw.org>, SunShine <gr...@pmw.org> wrote:
>

> > Also, when we reach the $8000, we can still contribute. Eddie gets only
> > maintenance Physical Therapy, insurance will not cover any more intense
> > therapy because in the very short period of time the allot for
> > appraisal, they don't see the improvement. Any funds above and beyond
> > the price of the van will go for this therapy. Curently all the 'extra'
> > therapy is done by Ann herself, though she has to go thru a hassle to
> > use the weight room.
>
> Ya know what? Each of us could set up an "automatic withdrawal" in our
> accounts for $10 a month...If 3,000 of us did it, Eddie would have $30,000
> per month for therapy...See, a little _does_ go a long way!
>
> Sunshine...since this is yours (thanks...I owe you BIG on this...I'll even
> baby sit at MITM for ya ...once!) what do you think?
>

> Michael Menard
> AKA mikey
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Note - *Mikey* offered to babysit, not me....'course he didn't say for how
long.

Cheers,

Cuda

--
White trash - it's not just an attitude; it's an adventure.

Message 6 in thread
From: Mark Jenks (mje...@solaria.sol.net)

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: 1997/01/22

SunShine (gr...@pmw.org) wrote:
<snipp>

: Also, when we reach the $8000, we can still contribute. Eddie gets only
: maintenance Physical Therapy, insurance will not cover any more intense
: therapy because in the very short period of time the allot for
: appraisal, they don't see the improvement. Any funds above and beyond
: the price of the van will go for this therapy. Curently all the 'extra'
: therapy is done by Ann herself, though she has to go thru a hassle to
: use the weight room.

Sunshine,

Did you think about putting this all on paper with the full info,
and mailing address, and post it is the local bars? There are more then
enough bikers that will help a fellow biker (At least around here it's
unbelieveable). "Help a fellow biker, it could be you someday" or
something along those lines.. I know it works wonders here in Milw.

Fuckin' Daffy
66FLH

PS> $25 is on the way as of Friday.

Message 7 in thread
From: Bill Rouse (har...@primenet.com)

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: 1997/01/22

Mark Jenks <mje...@solaria.sol.net> wrote:
: SunShine (gr...@pmw.org) wrote:
: <snipp>
: : Also, when we reach the $8000, we can still contribute. Eddie gets only
: : maintenance Physical Therapy, insurance will not cover any more intense
: : therapy because in the very short period of time the allot for
: : appraisal, they don't see the improvement. Any funds above and beyond
: : the price of the van will go for this therapy. Curently all the 'extra'
: : therapy is done by Ann herself, though she has to go thru a hassle to
: : use the weight room.
: Sunshine,
: Did you think about putting this all on paper with the full info,
: and mailing address, and post it is the local bars? There are more then
: enough bikers that will help a fellow biker (At least around here it's
: unbelieveable). "Help a fellow biker, it could be you someday" or
: something along those lines.. I know it works wonders here in Milw.

Speaking of paper...notify the local paper of his dilemma.
When they print a human interest story like this, the person written
about is almost always deluged with donations!

"Profanity is the crutch of the inarticulate mother-fucker"

Harley Bill /|\
har...@primenet.com HSB #68 / | \ "Turn off that
U O ME 1 / | \ damn radio and
'96 Road King / | \ listen to the
'95 Fatboy - stolen and somewhere in / | \ road!"
South America / | \

Message 8 in thread
From: Mark Jenks (mje...@solaria.sol.net)

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: 1997/01/22

Bill Rouse (har...@primenet.com) wrote:
: Mark Jenks <mje...@solaria.sol.net> wrote:
: : SunShine (gr...@pmw.org) wrote:
: : <snipp>
[...]

Heck, you can always talk to the Local TV news team. They put those things
on once in awhile to "Just let people know of a needy person". You never
know, someone might bite and it might turn into a big deal.

Daffy

Message 9 in thread
From: David DeCoster (deco...@asdriver.endicott.ibm.com)

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: 1997/01/23

In article <85397179...@smyrno.sol.net>, mje...@solaria.sol.net (Mark
Jenks) writes:
|> Bill Rouse (har...@primenet.com) wrote:
|> : Mark Jenks <mje...@solaria.sol.net> wrote:
|> : : SunShine (gr...@pmw.org) wrote:
|> : : <snipp>
|> : : : Also, when we reach the $8000, we can still contribute. Eddie
gets only
|> : : : maintenance Physical Therapy, insurance will not cover any more
intense
|> : : : therapy because in the very short period of time the allot for
|> : : : appraisal, they don't see the improvement. Any funds above and
beyond
|> : : : the price of the van will go for this therapy. Curently all the
'extra'
|> : : : therapy is done by Ann herself, though she has to go thru a hassle
|> : : : use the weight room.
|> : : Sunshine,
|> : : Did you think about putting this all on paper with the full info,
|> : : and mailing address, and post it is the local bars? There are more
then
|> : : enough bikers that will help a fellow biker (At least around here
it's
|> : : unbelieveable). "Help a fellow biker, it could be you someday" or
|> : : something along those lines.. I know it works wonders here in Milw.
|> : Speaking of paper...notify the local paper of his dilemma.
|> : When they print a human interest story like this, the person written
|> : about is almost always deluged with donations!
|>
|> Heck, you can always talk to the Local TV news team. They put those
things
|> on once in awhile to "Just let people know of a needy person". You never
|> know, someone might bite and it might turn into a big deal.
|>
|> Daffy

I can see it now, "How the Global biker community through the
Use of the internet help one of their own."

Human interest, compasion and technology.

Works for me.

--
Davey D #7

ddec...@vnet.ibm.com

For those who understand, NO explanation
is needed, for those who DON'T understand
NO explanation will be given.

Message 10 in thread
From: SunShine (gr...@psc.edu)

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: 1997/01/23

All these ideas would probably work better near his hometown. DOing it
here in Pittsburgh probably wouldn't wrk,, especial.y since he's near
<ugh> Cleveland!!!! I know the browns are gone, but 'burghers still
hate Cleveland, it's a 'burgh thing.

It's also something I really just don't have the time to do. I will
suggest it to Ann though.

Thanks for the ideas!
--
__ __ '80 CX500 "Commander"
( ) ( )
\ | | |\ | \ |_| | |\ | (^) Home Page: http://www.pmw.org/~grant
(__) \_/ | \|(__)| | | | \| _X_ Joke Collection:
Bitch#10 Wench#8 http://www.pmw.org/~grant/funnies.html

Eddie Kieger information: http://www.psc.edu/~grant/eddie Please Help!

J. Alan

Feb 16, 2004, 12:22:12 PM2/16/04

I am a newcomer to this group and a new rider as well. I can't help but be
touched by this story. It's great that so many people can rally together to
help support a cause such as this.

Does anyone know how the accident happened? was Eddie wearing a helmet?
did some driver just not see him?

Thanks,

Jeff

"SunShine" <spam...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message

SunShine

Feb 16, 2004, 1:29:05 PM2/16/04

--J. Alan typed on Monday, February 16, 2004 11:22 AM -0600:

> Does anyone know how the accident happened? was Eddie wearing a helmet?
> did some driver just not see him?

Eddie was wearing a helmet. When they found him, there was no other
vehicle around, so they assumed a single vehicle accident.

More information can be found at <www.eddiekieger.com>, and
<http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~sb3t/EK3.html>.

SunShine - in da burgh
B#10:W#8:A#50 '83 KZ750 "rozi"
"Get on your bikes and Ride!" -Queen
______EKIII and Thumper rider with me....______

Grumbler

Feb 17, 2004, 12:05:22 AM2/17/04

"SunShine" <spam...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> Eddie was wearing a helmet. When they found him, there was no other
> vehicle around, so they assumed a single vehicle accident.

Eddie was wearing a smallish novelty helmet and,
other than the massive brain trauma, he had no
other injuries to his face/head beisdes an
abrasion on his cheek.

He lost control of his '86 FXSTC on the
southbound Mathida on-ramp to US-101
in Sunnyvale, CA enroute to his South San
Jose home from the Brass Rail where he shot
some pool with Lynn "Fast Eddie" Hall, one
of the original AHs.

Ironically, the investigating officer for that accident,
Kurt Sanfillipo, was a good friend of mine.

-=Grumbler