Cons/pros for the Roof Boxer helmet..

TexasFlood

Aug 30, 2003, 10:16:22 AM8/30/03
Thinking of buying a Roof Boxer which can be both open and fullface helmet
in one.

Any cons/pros please reply.

TF

(FLH '77)

FLSTC SAM

Aug 30, 2003, 11:03:48 AM8/30/03

Yeah, I got one question. Where the heck are you gona buy it? I saw one in
Laughlin, and thought it was great, but they arn't available in the US.

Sam

Billski

Aug 30, 2003, 3:55:19 PM8/30/03

"FLSTC SAM" <flst...@aol.com> wrote in message
Billski wrote,
Both me and Mrs Billski have worn these helmets for a couple of years now.
It is quiet and versatile with the ability to be full, half or open face.
There is also lots of room to wear glasses at the same time.
After two years they are still very comfortable but mine is badly
chipped from me abusing (dropping it) and the edging is coming away from the
helmet.
The screws at the mask pivot point work loose occaisionally and
you have to look after the visors as they are easy to scratch.
The visors are expensive at about £50 = $80 US for the tinted ones.
I would buy another without hesitation if I could find them as cheap as the
pair we have.
I bought them from a shop that was clearing them out and the retail on
them is pretty high about £250 UK Pounds which is approximately $400 US in
real money.
Hope this helps

Billski
86 Heritage

Jim Butler

Aug 30, 2003, 1:42:40 PM8/30/03

"TexasFlood" <stevie@--nospam--tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message

Use Google to search RMH for roof boxer. Several reviews from users.

Jim Butler

Youngblood

Aug 30, 2003, 8:30:11 PM8/30/03
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:16:22 +0200, "TexasFlood"
<stevie@--nospam--tdcadsl.dk> wrote:

>Thinking of buying a Roof Boxer which can be both open and fullface helmet
>in one.
>
>Any cons/pros please reply.

i was sent this site the other day and saw they had a review there:
http://redirx.com/?bks

read the bottom part about the guy who crashed while wearing one.

Youngblood
'02 FXDXT
BS#181

Dana Taramina

Sep 3, 2003, 5:31:00 PM9/3/03
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:16:22 +0200, "TexasFlood"
<stevie@--nospam--tdcadsl.dk> wrote:

>Thinking of buying a Roof Boxer which can be both open and fullface helmet
>in one.
>
>Any cons/pros please reply.

Mine leaks, but according to the sales rep that was a first-year
problem that has been fixed. Other than that I love the helmet, the
peripheral vision is great and I've had no problems with wind
buffeting, chin bar up or down. It's very handy to be able to carry
only one helmet. (I've had mine for about 3 years, I think.)

Dana
'96 FXDS-Conv "Roxie
'03 FLHCTUI
Bitch 16 Wench 22 BS 23 BOTY VI ret.

Dana Taramina

Sep 3, 2003, 5:41:02 PM9/3/03
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:30:11 -0700, Youngblood
<bpav...@hotmailsucks.com> wrote:

>read the bottom part about the guy who crashed while wearing one.

I guess I should also add to my "review" that it's obvious (to me)
that the Roof Boxer is designed in such a way that it gives the safety
of a 3/4 helmet with the added benefit of being able to keep your face
out of the rain.

I have *never* considered this to be a full faced helmet as far as
facial protection in a wreck. There are 2 small snaps on the sides to
snap the chin bar down with, but you'd have to be a supreme optimist
(or a supreme idiot) to think that they would hold in a face-plant
wreck.

In my opinion the chin bar in the Roof Boxer was never meant to be
structural. Just convenient.

Dana
'96 FXDS-Conv "Roxie"
'03 FLHTCUI
Bitch 16 Wench 22 BS 23 BOTY Vi ret.

Rand McNally

Sep 3, 2003, 8:22:18 PM9/3/03
> >Thinking of buying a Roof Boxer which can be both open and fullface
helmet
> >in one.

<snip>

I cannot take credit for this, other than for passin' it on:

"Adrenalin - What Colour Is It Anyway?"

Some of us wear BMW style two piece "open chin" helmets - you know the
type - where the lower chin piece can be opened by pressing two thumb
locks. Some people have also fitted their bikes with electronic cruise
control or a version which operates on friction on the throttle - either
way they hold the speed of the bike reasonably constant without any input
from one's throttle hand. We also all wear gloves which invariably fasten
around the wrist with either a velcro flap or a press stud; some of the
more
expensive types have a zip fastener as well, among other features.

Picture if you will, one lone BMW rider with an opening chin helmet and
a pair of good quality velcro fastened gloves sailing along the Hume
Highway at 115 kph (that's all I'll admit to!!) dialled in on the electronic
cruise control. Weather is good, no cars in the immediate vicinity, scenery
is boring, no cops, life is good!! Junction of highway with Albury/Wodonga
Road about 5 km away, no need to slow down yet; bike is running
beautifully!! Looking forward to lunch.

Bugger! Is that a bee that just got into my helmet through the small
gap I've left for some fresh air? Could be. Well, I'll just open my
helmet visor to let him out. Visor up ... no, the little bugger is going to
be
stubborn, cantankerous even! He's not going to leave and is now behind
my sunnies, must be tired from all that pollen hunting. Don't want to be
stung on the eyelid -- I'll just open the chin piece on my BMW helmet (very
handy) and get him out .... let go of handlebars .... squeeze the release
buttons bike is nicely balanced and holding line well ... speed steady ...
no
cars ... this should be easy ... got the helmet open ... glasses off ...
piss
off bee! ... glasses on ... slam shut helmet ... hands back to bars ---- oh,
sheeite! Thumbs of both gloves jammed in helmet!!! Gloves won't move even
though I'm pulling like hell!! Wow, this will be interesting... can't
quite press the release buttons with little fingers ... junction now 3.5 km
away ... I know, I'll just pull one or both hands out of my gloves....
no, that doesn't work: "velcro is good stuff, won't come undone if you
fall off!" I remember the salesman saying that. He was absolutely right,
they're stuck fast, I'd have to tear my head off first .

Well, next brilliant idea, what if I just touched the foot brake ---
nooo, dumb idea! That won't work, this airhead beemer has great engine
braking and when I get to about 40 kph and can't balance the bike any longer
and
the dreaded BMW boxer wheel-wobble starts, which it will, I am going to have
major tank slappers --- sheeeiite!! I'll be off on my bum so quick and
still hanging onto my helmet so tightly they'll have to bury me in it!!
Won't do the bike much good either!!!

Hell, I can see the junction up ahead about one and half k's away and I am
really starting to get the wind up ... tense even ... certain parts are
beginning to pucker ... if the lights change to red and that huge B-double
waiting at the lights is in the middle of the intersection when I get there,
jeeesus, I'm going to be a hood ornament next to that bloody chrome
bulldog!! Must try and pull hands really hard ... can I make them any
smaller... 800 metres ... the left one is giving a little ... maybe the
gloves
are slipping on the sweat now pouring from every pore ... 600 metres yes,
yes, that's it, they're wet with sweat ....... I am going to have to hit the
footbrake in the next few seconds ... can't hit that @#$*&@ big truck at
this speed, it might scratch his duco ... yes! yes! ripper! Got the left
hand out ... now hit foot brake to cancel cruise, de-clutch and slow bike
with foot brake ... steer for the shoulder ... slowing down ... slide
foot... stop ... ease out clutch to stall bike ... side stand down ...
switch off bike with left hand, right hand still glued to helmet ...tintops
going past must think I've got toothache ... fall off into grass... lay
there for 5 minutes till the shaking stops and the adrenaline rush
dissipates... now release helmet with left hand and remove sweat soaked
head. Breathe out ---- shizer! Was that ever close! I'll buy a Tatts
ticket in Albury!

When I had recovered, I realised there were two observation here:-
No. 1: It's not a good idea to open or shut your helmet when on the move.
and
No. 2: Did you know, "adrenalin" is brown!!

Nemo

Sep 6, 2003, 10:15:47 PM9/6/03
Dana Taramina wrote:

> In my opinion the chin bar in the Roof Boxer was never meant to be
> structural. Just convenient.

Here's a round on me while we toast John's good health.

Having examined John Ross' HJC Symax (which is what I wear) that
he was wearing when he was mowed down, I am impressed with the
strength of those "wimpy" plastic catches. One did let go but the
whole thing held together when he needed it. This kind of data is
hard to come by (thank God).

I think the modular, flipface design is a godsend for us glasses
wearers.

--
Nemo BS#220 SugarRiverRAT
'72 CB175 Super Sport (deep sixed)