OMG! A Harley-Related Post! Y-Pipes and True Duals

Donna A.

Jun 7, 2007, 1:37:45 PM6/7/07
Yeah, I'm actually gonna talk about my bike for a change!

I've had a problem with my bike since I got it. It cracks Y pipes. Last
fall I suspected another one was cracked and this spring it got worse
and worse with the heat coming out. I had my bike into the local
independent shop (shameless plug here: http://shanedrives.com/) to get a
rear tire and asked Shane to see if I'd cracked the Y pipe again. Sure
enough. He said it had a long split in it. This is the FOURTH time I've
had it happen. He asked if I'd ever considered going to true duals. I'd
priced them out online and in the J&P catalog just for schitzngiggles
this spring and there was no way I could afford that.

Shane said he'd found something online and we went into the office to
look at it. He said he'd installed a set on an older bike he'd worked on
and lo and behold that guy happened to ride in. What it is is a
"conversion" kit that eliminates the Y pipe. You re-use your header
pipes and mufflers. I looked at the guy's bike and liked it the look, so
I had Shane order the kit. I got it installed last week and I LOVE IT.
Oh, best part is that the kit was $179.

http://fullsac.com/truedual.html

(standard disclaimer--no affiliation, yadda yadda)

I cannot believe the difference in heat on my bike. It's the first fuel
injected and since I've had it, I've fried my bacon on that pipe coming
off the rear jug. Now I can back it around into my spot in the garage
without getting burned. I also like the sound of it--it's like going
from mono to stereo!

So if anybody wants to convert to a true dual system and you don't have
a lot of money, consider this. It worked really well for me.

Gawd. That sounded like an infomercial. A round on me for that!

--
Donna A.
Wench #17/Bitch #17/BS #26/AH#107/SLOB #9

TL Mitchell

Jun 7, 2007, 2:08:06 PM6/7/07
"Donna A." <flhtc...@SPAM.hotmail.com> wrote

> I've had a problem with my bike since I got it. It cracks Y pipes.

You an' R.E. are hard on equipment <sfsf>

<snippage>

> Shane said he'd found something online and we went into the office to look
> at it. He said he'd installed a set on an older bike he'd worked on and lo
> and behold that guy happened to ride in. What it is is a "conversion" kit
> that eliminates the Y pipe. You re-use your header pipes and mufflers. I
> looked at the guy's bike and liked it the look, so I had Shane order the
> kit. I got it installed last week and I LOVE IT. Oh, best part is that the
> kit was $179.
>
> http://fullsac.com/truedual.html

About time someone came out with something like this. Over a hundred bucks
cheaper than V&H duals and uses OEM hardware. A bonus!

> I cannot believe the difference in heat on my bike. It's the first fuel
> injected and since I've had it, I've fried my bacon on that pipe coming
> off the rear jug. Now I can back it around into my spot in the garage
> without getting burned. I also like the sound of it--it's like going from
> mono to stereo!

Duals are the ticket to get rid of the heat. Richening things up helps gobs
as well. Just got back from the muffler shop getting O2 sensor bungs welded
on the duals leftover from the '05 barge. The heat on the '07s makes the
Magnetti Marelli injected bikes seem cool! Gonna be Y-pipeless <izzat a
word?> by tonight.

112

Donna A.

Jun 7, 2007, 2:35:15 PM6/7/07
TL Mitchell wrote:
> "Donna A." <flhtc...@SPAM.hotmail.com> wrote
>
>> I've had a problem with my bike since I got it. It cracks Y pipes.
>
> You an' R.E. are hard on equipment <sfsf>

LOL If I'd been thinking correctly, I should've stolen his off his bike
last weekend! He wouldn't have noticed...would he?

> <snippage>
>
>> Shane said he'd found something online and we went into the office to look
>> at it. He said he'd installed a set on an older bike he'd worked on and lo
>> and behold that guy happened to ride in. What it is is a "conversion" kit
>> that eliminates the Y pipe. You re-use your header pipes and mufflers. I
>> looked at the guy's bike and liked it the look, so I had Shane order the
>> kit. I got it installed last week and I LOVE IT. Oh, best part is that the
>> kit was $179.
>>
>> http://fullsac.com/truedual.html
>
> About time someone came out with something like this. Over a hundred bucks
> cheaper than V&H duals and uses OEM hardware. A bonus!

I was glad there was finally something out there that would help but
wouldn't cost a fortune.

>> I cannot believe the difference in heat on my bike. It's the first fuel
>> injected and since I've had it, I've fried my bacon on that pipe coming
>> off the rear jug. Now I can back it around into my spot in the garage
>> without getting burned. I also like the sound of it--it's like going from
>> mono to stereo!
>
> Duals are the ticket to get rid of the heat. Richening things up helps gobs
> as well. Just got back from the muffler shop getting O2 sensor bungs welded
> on the duals leftover from the '05 barge. The heat on the '07s makes the
> Magnetti Marelli injected bikes seem cool! Gonna be Y-pipeless <izzat a
> word?> by tonight.

Way kewl! I've heard a LOT of people complain about the heat on the '07s.

Dean

Jun 7, 2007, 6:17:21 PM6/7/07
"Donna A." wrote:

Well golly dang, thanks a bunch Donna. Just ordered a set by phone and
hope to have them on within hours of opening the box. Should make my
cross country ride a tad more enjoyable.

Fellah asked if he should send you a commission but I told him nah,
I'll just drink a 6 pack in her honor and order up a keg at the bar
for y'all. Handle that for me please Shirley.

Dean
'06 FLHR

TL Mitchell

Jun 8, 2007, 2:33:44 AM6/8/07
"Donna A." <flhtc...@SPAM.hotmail.com> wrote

>>Way kewl! I've heard a LOT of people complain about the heat on the
>>'07s.<<

That's only part of the reason I wanted to keep these duals. They were
kindof a gift and I get all choked up and sentimental everytime I think of
it. (cough)

112

Chilly

Jun 8, 2007, 6:56:20 AM6/8/07
"TL Mitchell" <tlmitchell99(nospam)@earthlink.net> sed:

Yeah, mine were too. Funny thing too, the V&H dual headers cost less than
the stock. Now, I understand stock has more metal, more work involved to
produce them, but I figured that V&H logo stamped on the pipes cost a
premium ...

Still thinking 2=>1

--
Chilly - Hoping it'll impress my freinds ...

TL Mitchell

Jun 8, 2007, 9:20:13 AM6/8/07
"Chilly" <wjgh...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote

>>Funny thing too, the V&H dual headers cost less than the stock.

The whole V&H *system*, mufflers included, was the same price as one OEM
muffler, one left side short pipe and heat shield. The stock muffler is 196
bucks!!!

Ya wanna see your hair stand on end price a full set of heat shields.....
close to 600 bucks! Sheesh..........

112

Donna A.

Jun 8, 2007, 9:33:07 AM6/8/07
Dean wrote:

> "Donna A." wrote:
>
>> Gawd. That sounded like an infomercial. A round on me for that!
>
> Well golly dang, thanks a bunch Donna. Just ordered a set by phone and
> hope to have them on within hours of opening the box. Should make my
> cross country ride a tad more enjoyable.

Yay! Looks like I posted this just in time!

> Fellah asked if he should send you a commission but I told him nah,
> I'll just drink a 6 pack in her honor and order up a keg at the bar
> for y'all. Handle that for me please Shirley.

[pout] I want a vat o' margaritas. And a couple Carlsbad Caverns
glasses. ;-)

Donna A.

Jun 8, 2007, 9:33:33 AM6/8/07

You old softy. [rolls eyes]

Greasy Rider

Jun 8, 2007, 2:08:37 PM6/8/07

"TL Mitchell" <tlmitchell99(nospam)@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Ya wanna see your hair stand on end price a full set of heat shields.....
> close to 600 bucks! Sheesh..........

I'll price a set just for the opportunity of seeing my hair stand up!
Haven't seen that since I was 25.

--
Ride Safe!
Greasy Rider

Snag

Jun 8, 2007, 2:52:06 PM6/8/07

Damn , that *was* a good deal on the headpipes I bought ! Got a total of
159 bucks and a days work in them . I think I'll turn them into true duals
this weekend . Pull the right muffler and slip a piece of appropriately
sized tubing into the pipe , retained by a small screw or something . After
I remove the protruding end of the rear cylinder pipe . Hmm , might be
easier to cut the tube and block it . Either way it'll stop the frying of my
right leg . And look completely stock ...

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Kickstart

Jun 8, 2007, 5:27:48 PM6/8/07
. Pull the right muffler and slip a piece of appropriately
> sized tubing into the pipe , retained by a small screw or something .
> After I remove the protruding end of the rear cylinder pipe . Hmm , might
> be easier to cut the tube and block it . Either way it'll stop the frying
> of my right leg . And look completely stock ...
>
> --
>
> Snag aka OSG #1
I just removed the left side and cut the Y pipe made it 2 gazinta 1 on the
right side.
1 Earnhart murfler and I'm done, seems to work OK.
But this guy's duels are kewl and right priced IMHO
Shirley you ready ? Set'em up and new glasses all around

*127

Snag

Jun 8, 2007, 5:44:23 PM6/8/07

I recall looking at the capped stub on your bike . And then you tole me a
story about how you negotiated a good price for that one muffler , because
after all , what's a guy gonna do with just one ?

--

Snag aka OSG #1

Dean

Jun 8, 2007, 6:16:06 PM6/8/07
Donna A wrote:

>[pout] I want a vat o' margaritas. And a couple Carlsbad Caverns
>glasses. ;-)

Last time I was in the Caverns was with my dad in '47. I seem to have
misplaced those glasses. Glad to get you a bucket of Margarine though
if I can get to an IRL some time. P.S., Slick photos, priced that
camera and I'll just stick to my 4MP Canon.

Dean
'06 FLHR

Donna A.

Jun 9, 2007, 8:21:58 AM6/9/07
Dean wrote:
> Donna A wrote:
>
>> [pout] I want a vat o' margaritas. And a couple Carlsbad Caverns
>> glasses. ;-)
>
> Last time I was in the Caverns was with my dad in '47. I seem to have
> misplaced those glasses. Glad to get you a bucket of Margarine though
> if I can get to an IRL some time.

Kewl.

> P.S., Slick photos, priced that
> camera and I'll just stick to my 4MP Canon.

LOL I couldn't afford it, either. It was a gift.

Dave Nichols

Jun 10, 2007, 2:35:45 PM6/10/07
Kickstart wrote:
> . Pull the right muffler and slip a piece of appropriately
>> sized tubing into the pipe , retained by a small screw or something .
>> After I remove the protruding end of the rear cylinder pipe . Hmm , might
>> be easier to cut the tube and block it . Either way it'll stop the frying
>> of my right leg . And look completely stock ...
>>
> I just removed the left side and cut the Y pipe made it 2 gazinta 1 on the
> right side.
> 1 Earnhart murfler and I'm done, seems to work OK.
> But this guy's duels are kewl and right priced IMHO
> Shirley you ready ? Set'em up and new glasses all around

Hey Danny! Betcha Brian could bend a setup like that in a few minutes. I
think true duals are in my future.

--
DaveN BS#163 SENS
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

Al

Jun 11, 2007, 9:26:37 AM6/11/07
Donna A. wrote:

> http://fullsac.com/truedual.html
>

> So if anybody wants to convert to a true dual system and you don't have
> a lot of money, consider this. It worked really well for me.

Te temps in the high 80's yesterday as we pulled up to a line of about
20 cars going into the entrance gate at Yosemite. My first real
experience w/ that thigh burning bastard. I hopped up and down like a
lizard on a hot rock for about 10 minutes as we crept up to the gate.
Other than that the scoot ran like a raped ape w/ 2 up and a couple
samiches in the tour pak :-)

Thanks for the info Donna, I'll order it today.

--
BS#205 CVNS G&W FD1
..-. -.-- -.-- ..-. ..-.

TL Mitchell

Jun 11, 2007, 10:02:20 AM6/11/07
"Al" <bslug205@NO_SPAM_SUCKA.com> wrote

> Te temps in the high 80's yesterday as we pulled up to a line of about 20
> cars going into the entrance gate at Yosemite. My first real experience
> w/ that thigh burning bastard. I hopped up and down like a lizard on a
> hot rock for about 10 minutes as we crept up to the gate.

Can't believe it took you this long to experience the thigh searing.

Finally got bungs in the V&H duals and got 'em on. Went for a ride with the
stock ECM and O2 sensors and the heat situation was improved. Stuck the
ThunderMax ECM on and did some stop n go to gauge the thigh-toasting factor.
It's gone.

The O2 sensors were chalk white when they came out. A bit on the lean side
ya think? The ThunderMax noticeably increased performance...... as well as
fuel consumption as it's tough to keep out of the happy-noisemaker right
grip. Gonna stick the laptop in the Tour Pak and log the throttle position
and rpm ranges for the most used cruise settings and lean those out a bit.
See if I can get power *and* mileage.

112.

Al

Jun 11, 2007, 10:18:01 AM6/11/07
TL Mitchell wrote:
> "Al" <bslug205@NO_SPAM_SUCKA.com> wrote
>
>> Te temps in the high 80's yesterday as we pulled up to a line of about 20
>> cars going into the entrance gate at Yosemite. My first real experience
>> w/ that thigh burning bastard. I hopped up and down like a lizard on a
>> hot rock for about 10 minutes as we crept up to the gate.
>
> Can't believe it took you this long to experience the thigh searing.

I'm so glad I waited for a high 80's day to experience it! I don't ride
it around town and the last ride with any miles to speak of was over to
the coast back in late April. Just the few stops for lights, etc, I
could feel the heat but not bad. I knew I was NOT going to like it come
summer time.

> Finally got bungs in the V&H duals and got 'em on. Went for a ride with the
> stock ECM and O2 sensors and the heat situation was improved. Stuck the
> ThunderMax ECM on and did some stop n go to gauge the thigh-toasting factor.
> It's gone.

Ahh... Free at last.

> The O2 sensors were chalk white when they came out. A bit on the lean side
> ya think? The ThunderMax noticeably increased performance...... as well as
> fuel consumption as it's tough to keep out of the happy-noisemaker right
> grip. Gonna stick the laptop in the Tour Pak and log the throttle position
> and rpm ranges for the most used cruise settings and lean those out a bit.
> See if I can get power *and* mileage.
>
> 112.

Keep me posted willya? Tks. I'm still contemplating the TM, and thanks
for the update.

LaJolla

Jun 11, 2007, 11:48:31 AM6/11/07
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:37:45 -0500, "Donna A."
<flhtc...@SPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://fullsac.com/truedual.html

"So simple, like the jitterbug, it plumb evaded me."

I'm all over that for the new FLHT. Thanks Donna.
--
Curly AH#117 BS#107
93 FLHS Bark-O-Glide

Al

Jun 11, 2007, 12:00:44 PM6/11/07
LaJolla wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:37:45 -0500, "Donna A."
> <flhtc...@SPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://fullsac.com/truedual.html
>
> "So simple, like the jitterbug, it plumb evaded me."
>
> I'm all over that for the new FLHT. Thanks Donna.
> --
> Curly AH#117 BS#107

I better get mine first! LOL
6/11/2007 7:34:20 AM PST

TL Mitchell

Jun 11, 2007, 12:13:37 PM6/11/07
"Al" <bslug205@NO_SPAM_SUCKA.com> wrote

>>Keep me posted willya? Tks. I'm still contemplating the TM <<

Which brings us to warranty concerns...... it's a relatively easy switch
back to the stock ECM. I figger I'll wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it and
the sensors in the bottom of a saddlebag.

Fullsac does make the dual conversion with bungs. They mount it in the rear
of the pipe sticking back over the solenoid. Doesn't look like any issues
fouling anything with the longer wide-band sensors.

The Rineharts with bungs are reported to be plug n play with the longer
sensors.

The V&H duals with the bungs foul the breather nipple on the tranny top
cover. You either have to relocate the bung or the breather....... or get
the duals without bungs and have 'em installed where you want 'em. Since the
heat shields cover more of the pipe you're limited to having it stick
forward just aft of the bend pointing towards the gap between the cylinder
and tranny cover. It's hidden that way as well. If I had it to do over again
and specifically wanted to use V&Hs duals I'd do it that way again. However,
I'd make sure the dumb shit welding the bungs in put them where I marked the
*first* time to prevent going back and doing it over :-[ Kinda scabby
looking welding job but it can't be seen so who cares?

Re: the warranty issue, it all depends on the dealer and whether they go to
bat with you with the MoCo. If they want to they could tell you to go shit
in your hat with a SERT or PCIII or V&H Fuel Pak or anything else that isn't
OEM. Ya pays your money and you takes your chances. However, I'd rather take
my chances with something that richens things up the way they oughta be than
wonder what an ultra-lean burn is gonna do to the engine over time. YMMV.

112

Al

Jun 11, 2007, 12:22:18 PM6/11/07
TL Mitchell wrote:

> Fullsac does make the dual conversion with bungs. They mount it in the rear
> of the pipe sticking back over the solenoid. Doesn't look like any issues
> fouling anything with the longer wide-band sensors.

Did I miss that on their web-site?

TL Mitchell

Jun 11, 2007, 12:59:13 PM6/11/07
"Al" <bslug205@NO_SPAM_SUCKA.com> wrote in message

> TL Mitchell wrote:
>

>> Fullsac does make the dual conversion with bungs. They mount it in the
>> rear of the pipe sticking back over the solenoid. Doesn't look like any
>> issues fouling anything with the longer wide-band sensors.
>>

> Did I miss that on their web-site?

No, you missed their reply to my inquiry complete with pics in my mailbox
;-)

112

Al

Jun 11, 2007, 1:04:46 PM6/11/07

I hate when that happens.

Snag

Jun 11, 2007, 10:02:39 PM6/11/07
LaJolla (LaJolla) wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:37:45 -0500, "Donna A."
> <flhtc...@SPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://fullsac.com/truedual.html
>
> "So simple, like the jitterbug, it plumb evaded me."
>
> I'm all over that for the new FLHT. Thanks Donna.

Freeze plug ...
d-n-r

Donna A.

Jun 12, 2007, 8:34:00 AM6/12/07
Snag wrote:
> LaJolla (LaJolla) wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:37:45 -0500, "Donna A."
>> <flhtc...@SPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://fullsac.com/truedual.html
>> "So simple, like the jitterbug, it plumb evaded me."
>>
>> I'm all over that for the new FLHT. Thanks Donna.
>
> Freeze plug ...
> d-n-r

A freeze plug works great--if you've got an intact Y pipe. I had to buy
a new pipe no matter what and it was the same price to eliminate the
problem pipe. I'm a happy camper. 8-)

Snag

Jun 12, 2007, 6:00:47 PM6/12/07
Donna A. wrote:
> Snag wrote:
>> LaJolla (LaJolla) wrote:

>>> "So simple, like the jitterbug, it plumb evaded me."
>>>
>>> I'm all over that for the new FLHT. Thanks Donna.
>>
>> Freeze plug ...
>> d-n-r
>
> A freeze plug works great--if you've got an intact Y pipe. I had to
> buy a new pipe no matter what and it was the same price to eliminate
> the problem pipe. I'm a happy camper. 8-)

I was yankin' Curly's leg cuz he posted in another thread about using one to
block the crossover . I blocked mine saturday with a disc and hose clamp
arrangement . Sounds good , and the heat on my right thigh is a lot less now
.

Donna A.

Jun 13, 2007, 7:19:31 AM6/13/07
Snag wrote:
> Donna A. wrote:
>> Snag wrote:

>>> Freeze plug ...
>>> d-n-r
>> A freeze plug works great--if you've got an intact Y pipe. I had to
>> buy a new pipe no matter what and it was the same price to eliminate
>> the problem pipe. I'm a happy camper. 8-)
>
> I was yankin' Curly's leg cuz he posted in another thread about using one to
> block the crossover . I blocked mine saturday with a disc and hose clamp
> arrangement . Sounds good , and the heat on my right thigh is a lot less now

HOSE CLAMP ARRANGEMENT??? Geeez! Are you trashin' that bike up already?
Pretty soon it'll look as bad as mine--erm, somebody's worn out bike!

Having a non-cooked right thigh is a Good Thing, isn't it? I know I sure
am enjoying it. And the neighbors don't have to hear me going OW OW OW
OW every time I come home from work and have to maneuver my bike around
in the garage, turning it around and backing it into my slot under my
Bitch Parking Only sign. 8-)

Snag

Jun 13, 2007, 10:03:42 PM6/13/07
Donna A. wrote:
> Snag wrote:
>> Donna A. wrote:

>>> A freeze plug works great--if you've got an intact Y pipe. I had to
>>> buy a new pipe no matter what and it was the same price to eliminate
>>> the problem pipe. I'm a happy camper. 8-)
>>
>> I was yankin' Curly's leg cuz he posted in another thread about
>> using one to block the crossover . I blocked mine saturday with a
>> disc and hose clamp arrangement . Sounds good , and the heat on my
>> right thigh is a lot less now
>
> HOSE CLAMP ARRANGEMENT??? Geeez! Are you trashin' that bike up
> already? Pretty soon it'll look as bad as mine--erm, somebody's worn
> out bike!

Don't worry , the hose clamp and strip of sheet metal holding the washer
in and sealing the slot I cut are hidden . Behind a very nice chrome heat
shield . I like the way it runs and sounds so well I might remove the clamp
and strip and weld the washer in place .
I need to do one more road trip first though. I only got 42 mpg this last
tank (down from 50+ going to and coming from Roger's) , but that might be
because of all in town miles and not the modification .

Donna A.

Jun 14, 2007, 7:19:57 AM6/14/07

Oh, thank Dog. Functional chrome will save you every time.

> I need to do one more road trip first though. I only got 42 mpg this last
> tank (down from 50+ going to and coming from Roger's) , but that might be
> because of all in town miles and not the modification .

I don't think my mpg has changed since I did the conversion. But you got
me thinking. I'll have to check.

Al

Jun 15, 2007, 9:48:38 AM6/15/07
Al wrote:
> Donna A. wrote:
>
>> http://fullsac.com/truedual.html

>> So if anybody wants to convert to a true dual system and you don't
>> have a lot of money, consider this. It worked really well for me.

> Te temps in the high 80's yesterday as we pulled up to a line of about
> 20 cars going into the entrance gate at Yosemite. My first real
> experience w/ that thigh burning bastard.
>

> Thanks for the info Donna, I'll order it today.

UPS dropped it off yesterday. I'll holler back w/ a report after I
install it this weekend.