[Warning:VERY Long Rant] "Road Warrior" Revisited...

Moramarth

May 26, 2011, 1:21:51 PM5/26/11
About a year ago what promised to be an interesting thread on vehicles
from the film “The Road Warrior” (a.k.a. “Mad Max 2”) sadly wandered
OT despite Stephen Bierce’ last minute attempt to rescue it with a
good post containing an interesting link – and I must confess I was
one of those who went wandering. In belated contrition, I thought I
might venture a few thoughts on Sci-fi/Fantasy vehicles, prompted by a
couple of recent events. The first was a small local model show
(which turned out to be more of a model railway show) that was
attended by the South Lakes Sci-Fi & Fantasy Model Club. The second
was a week last Friday, when I learned that the “Cars of the Stars”
museum at Keswick (and the associated “Bond Museum”) had unexpectedly
closed the weekend of the 7th/8th May. (http://
www.carsofthestars.com/) The last I had heard (via the local media)
had been that the owner was selling some of his spare exhibits in
anticipation of acquiring more Bond cars, but apparently this sale had
attracted the attention of an American gentleman who turned up and
bought the entire collection, which I understand is now on it’s way
across the Atlantic. I had always intended to visit the museum, but
it was one of those things which I never seemed to find time for – so
now I never will be able to really research the “Mad Max “
Interceptor, The Munster Koach, etc. What made things even more
irritating was the acquaintance who informed me of this disaster was a
friend of the owner’s family and had been able to get access to
several vehicles on the last weekend the exhibit was open, so had
photographs of himself sitting in KITT, various Batmobiles, etc...

As a preamble, I note Australia is the spiritual home of the post-
apocalyptic car – scarcely surprising from a nation where individuals
have been known to use stripped-down Valentine tank chassis for
recreational off-roading… http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Valentines.pdf
(p22).
Prior to the original “Mad Max”, there was “The Cars that ate
Paris” (Bruce Spence was in that too, IIRC) – I particularly recall
the spiky VW Bug. I’ve also recently seen (on my Aunt’s satellite) a
very amusing documentary film called “Not Quite Hollywood” about the
“Ozploitation” movies of the ‘70s and ‘80s, this featured a section on
the triumphs, disasters, and general insanity of the motorized mayhem
which was a feature of many Australian films of the period – evidently
Max wasn’t the only one who was Mad! However, the U.S. can claim
credit for the original “Death Race 2000”, but must also own up not
only to the remake (and sequel thereto) but also to “Damnation Alley”
– the movie which shared little but its title and a few character
names with Roger Zelazney’s novel – had Hollywood chosen to film the
book (or at least the original script Zelazney had approved) they
would have had a Road Warrior style epic even before the arrival of
the Antipodean masterpiece.

While the “Mad Max” series spawned a host of imitators, I believed
neither the original movie nor its sequels appeared to have produced
models in the way many other TV and movie vehicles have proved
attractive to kit manufacturers – at least to start with. Indeed, as
was mentioned in last years’ original thread even Max’s “Black on
Black” Interceptor was initially only available as after-market resin
conversions or kits. More recently, however, it has appeared as a
diecast in various scales, and eventually Aoshima produced a 1:24th
scale plastic kit that it has subsequently re-issued in an improved
form. It appears the movie did spawn a Japanese imitator, “Mad
Police” although whether this was live action, anime, or merely a
model range I can’t say. I think it likely to be the latter, as it
seems to have been four cars each with a sprue of “Customising” parts
which variously included items such as a supercharger to be added to
the bonnet (hood), a pintle mounted fifty cal. MG and a set of police
roof lights. The South Lakes Sci-Fi & Fantasy Model Club had one of
these on display that I think it was basically a ‘70s Nissan Cedric.
The other vehicle they had which particularly caught my attention was
a model of the Mustang-based “Monster” from the remake of “Death Race”
– this was a conversion based on an article a Sci-Fi modelling
magazine with which I wasn’t familiar, and who’s title I failed to
note.

But Musicman59’s query in last years’ post was more oriented towards
the buggies and opposed machines, and of these I understood only the
customised Landau from the chase sequence at the beginning of “Road
Warrior” had been made, as a 1:43rd scale diecast paired with a model
of the Black Interceptor in its modified (“Road Warrior”) format.
However, this excellent site (which appears to be the spiritual home
of all post-apocalyptic modellers, as it has good pictures of many of
the models I have come across elsewhere while Googling the subject)
http://www.madmaxmodels.com shows there have been a number of items in
a variety of scales.
Which leaves us with models “inspired by” the movies. In addition to
the “Mad Police”, Revell have also produced a series of three 1:25th
scale vehicles with suitable adaptations included under the title
“Black Top Warriors” – originally appearing in the ‘80s, they have
been re-issued on occasion since. There have been slot car sets so
themed (appropriate, given the amount of “nerfing” which occurred back
when I was participating in the hobby) and toys. These can be seen on
the “Mad Max Models” site I mentioned above. Beyond this, one can
create one’s own doomsday machinery. This is as legitimate an area of
Sci-fi modelling as any other, where the modeller does not feel
constrained to reproduce something from film or literature but can
explore their own imagination; this can be a very satisfying
endeavour. (Satisfying enough for a number of full size vehicles to
have been created; while falling outside the scope of this post they
can act as inspiration.) I have noticed such vehicles tend to fall
into two genres; the first being the “Mad Max” type universe where
firearms are a rarity and the vehicles are mostly stripped down, and
the second where firepower is more emphasized and cars are armoured.
I have an AMT ’64 Mustang with a ruined body which I intended to take
down the former route, but after seeing the “Death Race” remake
“Monster” I think it may be better suited to the latter.

While Musicman59 did not specify a particular scale of model, the
natural assumption was a modeller from the U.S. would be thinking in
terms of 1:25th scale (or possibly 1:24th). I can’t say I’m familiar
with all the resources available in these scales, but I do know a lot
of the stuff available in the US seldom makes it to retailers on this
side of the pond and I suspect there’s stuff available in Japan that
doesn’t even make it to the US; in this era if the interweb thingy
that shouldn’t matter, but I don’t think even HLJ can stock
everything. The one thing I have noted is the lack of weapons
available in these scales – I’d have liked a M2HB or a 12.7mm DshK to
mount in the back of a chopped-down pickup as a Somali “Technical”.
More recently, the Libyan rebels seem to have produced a whole slew of
machines which wouldn’t look out-of-place in your average post-
apocalypse movie - sadly, they must feel they’re living through one.
In fact, one bit of news footage with several of these machines
tearing along a road churning out vast volumes of full-auto fire in
the general direction of an unseen enemy DID look like a clip from
such a movie. It’s arguable the Japanese Pick-up is the most
significant military vehicle of the last couple of decades, and while
I can see that for PR purposes the various manufacturers might not
wish to license their machines for modelling as such by the usual
purveyors of military kits, I’m surprised a “generic” model hasn’t
appeared in 1:35th. However, as well as HMGs and single and twin
light AA guns in the 20-to-30mm range the Libyans have been mounting
various aircraft rocket pods on improvised frames to turn pick-ups
into a sort of mini-Katyusha, and I’m sure somewhere I have a 1:24th
SNEB pod from the Airfix Harrier… Possibly the increasing popularity
of 1:24th scale aircraft may lead to a greater availability of machine-
guns (for aircraft flexible mounts) from aftermarket manufacturers in
future, but small arms are likely to continue as a rarity. What few I
have (if I can find them) will be a Thompson SMG and a sawn-off
shotgun from an Airfix/MPC “Gangbusters” kit I built as a kid.
Less realistically, the human resistance appear to have mounted lasers/
energy weapons on pick-ups in the “Terminator” movies, notably (IIRC)
the second in the series, which raises the possibility of getting
around the weapons shortage with scratch built or adapted Sci-Fi
weaponry. In particular, this Games Workshop Lascannon (http://
www.bitsandkits.co.uk/lascanon-with-power-cell-and-cable-p-360.html)
looks at home on a 1:25th scale vehicle (or indeed anything down to
about 1:48th scale) despite being designed for a much smaller scale.
Better still, it is available from “Bitz” suppliers as a separate
item, albeit at a slight premium over GW’s already notorious prices.
To crew such a machine shouldn’t be difficult given the availability
of figures in these scales, but it’s worth noting for Wasteland
Barbarian types Preiser produce 1:24th scale multi-part, multi-pose
naked male and female figures which can be attired as required.

The other popular model car scale (at least in the UK) is 1:32nd, and
as this is also a model aircraft scale the availability of after-
market weapons should be better, but I admit I haven’t looked too
closely. Fortunately, Airfix “Multipose” figure sets provide
everything up to LMGs. I’m not sure of their current status, but
Airfix are improving the availability of their ranges and hopefully
this will see the return of their VW Beach Buggy that would prove an
excellent basis for vehicles similar to those in the second “Mad Max”
film, especially if their Beetle with its full-length platform is
available at the same time. The Buggy driver is very ‘70s “Hippy” in
style, half-way to being a post-apocalyptic Savage, and I’m sure his
Bikini-clad companion can be suitably modified. In any case, Preiser
duplicate their aforementioned figures in this scale too. I also
think that if the Revell/Matchbox 1:32nd scale kit of the De Havilland
Sea Venom was built with the access panels glued on, it could donate a
jet engine which looks remarkably like the one on Tina Turner’s
machine in “Beyond Thunderdome”…
It is unfortunate that all the guns, etc. available in 1:35th scale
are generally visually incompatible with 1:32nd, and (as I’ve
mentioned) the commonest military scale lacks modern civilian
vehicles, but perhaps I’m being a bit too fussy with regard to scale
compatibility for what are imaginary subjects. One thread I’ve seen
suggests 1:32nd scale car bodies can be successfully combined with
1:35th scale “Jeep”-type vehicle chassis (and wheels from a 1:24th
scale Mini!). However, as if one is mainly interested in the “Dune
Buggy”-type vehicles, Kubelwagens and even early Beetles are available
in 1:35th to provide a platform to construct these on. Examples with
engines (and sand tyres) are preferable, but the availability if
really wide wheels and tyres may be a problem (Lego might be one
answer, cheap toys another) – it’s noticeable that the vehicles in
“Thunderdome” generally boasted bigger wheels and tyres than those in
“Road Warrior”. For the bigger wagons, anything with a separate
chassis and big wheels should do, for example the Tamiya “Pink
Panther” Land Rover and LRDG Truck could be stripped down even further
(the LRDG truck was basically a civilian Chevrolet to start with).
The military (particularly Special Forces) appear to have had a
flirtation with “armed dune buggy” type vehicles in the ‘80s and 90’s,
but as some of these are now in private hands I don’t know if they
were a success, nor have I noted their appearance in kit form. More
recently, the British Army has gone mad to the max with these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackal_(vehicle). The natural habitat of
this breed of Jackal is the Dasht-e-Margo (Desert of Death), also
known to the Brits as “The GAFA” (“Great Afghan F**k -All”). Although
currently available only in expensive resin, the recent appearance of
the WMIK Land Rover in plastic gives hope for the future.

The problems with 1:35th also apply to 1:48th scale, but due to the
diminished size of the models means weapons in this scale don’t look
too far out of place on 1:43th scale vehicles, and the smaller size
raises the possibility of dioramas or vignettes using wargames
figures.

If “The Road Warrior” failed to have much impact on the scale
modelling world, in the related field of wargaming its influence was
profound. A plethora of games were produced, but little in the way of
actual equipment: IIRC, “Car Wars” (one of the originals, and probably
the most widespread) utilised counters, or relied on the gamer to
convert diecasts in their own preferred scale. Games Workshop
produced very small vehicles (approximately “N” Gauge) as an
alternative to counters in their board game “Battlecars” – the range
did not appear to adhere to any discernable prototypes, except for a
minute but recognisable tooled-up Sinclair C5, and a generic but
heavily armed golf buggy… GW had a second bite at the cherry with
“Dark Future”, but this was equally short-lived. This game did have
plastic vehicles as playing pieces; two styles of body (a mid-engined
sports car and a buggy) shared a common chassis design and generic
wheel and weapon sprues. The cars had hard points for weapons on
front and rear wings, and one on the roof which could also take a
turret mount, and the sports car had vac-formed glazing. These were
supplemented by white metal figures and accessories approximating to
the 15mm wargame scale, this is roughly 1:120th scale. Finally they
came up with “Gorkamorka”, which featured feuding gangs of Space
Orks! The box set featured two plastic vehicle kits, a Kettenkrad-
like “Trakk” and a small “Trukk”, both quite crude. The game sold (as
one commentator put it) “like Lo-Salt Pickled Broccoli” and in order
to get some return on the moulds the vehicles were incorporated into
the Ork Army in their mainstream (and successful) “Warhammer
40,000”game. The “Trukk” model has since been replaced with a new kit
that is the true spiritual heir to the “Mad Max” vehicles:
(http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?
prodId=prod1090176)
Unfortunately, like other machines from the GW (and many other Sci-
fi) designers, it suffers from engineering illiteracy that limits its
appeal in purely modelling terms. (This does permit the modeller a
certain laxity when scratch-building imaginary vehicles for the game…)

Both “Gorkamorka” and “Warhammer 40,000” utilise figures in what
wargamers call “28mm” scale, sometimes now called “Heroic 28mm” to
differentiate it from figures of the same nominal scale but with more
realistic proportions and finer detail which have become common in
historical wargaming over the last couple of years, in some ways
connected with the introduction of multi-part hard plastic figures
into that sphere. I believe these translate into roughly 1:60th
scale, but due to their slightly caricatured style they look at home
with vehicles of anything up to 1:48th or even 1:43rd scale, 1:54th
has been suggested as ideal while 1:64th is probably closest common
scale but often appears small compared with “Heroic” figures. But
given 1:64th is an established scale, it may be possible to create
compatible figures from “True” 28mm (hard plastic) figures. The
“Wargames Factory” Zombies are a likely starting point as they mostly
look ragged rather than rotten; with a little filler, and arms and
heads from other “True 28mm” ranges they could work well as the
denizens of dystopia…

Several manufacturers produce suitable figures for vignettes or
dioramas, although few are seated for use in vehicles. My own
preference is for figures sculpted by Mark Copplestone, those he
produced for the now-defunct Grenadier Miniatures U.K. (now available
from eM4 Miniatures:
http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Future_Skirmish.html )
and the revised versions produced under his own imprint, Copplestone
Castings,
( http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=FW )
which emerged subsequent to his involvement with Wargames Foundry.
When he was designing for Wargames Foundry they also produced the
“Street Violence” range.
( http://wargamesfoundry.com/fantasy_ranges/single_packs/futuristic/street_violence/
)
All these ranges (and others) include figures obviously inspired by
the “Mad Max” films – some, indeed, look very familiar even if their
given identity avoids any IP infringement issues – but have gone
beyond the canon to include other post-apocalyptic types such as Urban
Survivors/Street Gangs and the remnants of Law and Order. Of the
older Copplestone (eM4) figures the weakest in terms of detail and
sculpting are the motorbike riders, which also include a driver figure
– these are so different I suspect they may have been provided for
Grenadier by a different sculptor. The driver figure was specifically
made to fit a resin “Buggy”-type vehicle which was one of about half-a-
dozen produced to accompany the range, some of which shared very basic
wheel-and-axle metal castings. These are long OOP, but I acquired a
Pick-up truck and a Buggy a couple of years ago, and built a slightly
modified Pick-up from when the range was new. This latter I fitted
with larger, heavily treaded set of tyres on a raised suspension, and
moulded a tyre/wheel from Milliput to replace the spare on the back. I
crewed the vehicle with a couple of Wasteland Barbarian types standing
on the bed behind the cab, and added some details from plastic rod and
wire. I also added a frame to the front bumper to hold a prisoner/
hostage the way the Humungous’ vehicle did in “The Road Warrior”, but
in this case the young lady was considerably less wrapped up than the
victims in the movie… I also started work on a trike (but dropped it-
literally), and this will probably never be repaired as the old GW
model it was built around has since become a collectable item. Of all
my stalled wargames projects, this is one of those more likely to be
revived, as basically I have most of the stuff I require in the stash,
and it presents the sort of modelling/conversion opportunities I like
best. The “Hordes of the Things” rules system I prefer for tabletop
battles utilises “elements” as playing pieces, a group of models or
figures assembled on a specific size of base. This effectively
encourages the production of small vignettes, and as most armies spend
more time in the display case than on the table I don’t feel obliged
to have all of these dynamically posed. For my “Post-Apocalyptic
Nomad Barbarians” force I was thinking along the lines of the scene
where the Humungous’ mob were parked up in a menacing array while he
issued one of his ultimatums. This would permit placing standing
figures around rather than in their vehicles, such as a group of three
or four heavily armed “Naughty Nuns” grouped in front of a battered
BLMC Mini, and while I haven’t acquired either the “Urban Cowgirls” or
“Beach Babes” sets (yet!), these would surely require (respectively) a
pink Cadillac and a customised “Woody”… The only thing that might
beat them into production might be some Ork vehicles, as they permit
(indeed, inspire) a greater degree of mechanical insanity: Mad Max
meets Heath-Robinson (or Rube Goldberg). With these I visit the
Forgeworld site
(http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Orks?
filter_action=3&filter_value=2)
for inspiration - I won’t be buying at those prices… Beyond an Ork
“Speed Freeks” army I’d also be looking for a skirmish-scale games
system, possibly by bolting the vehicle combat system from
“Gorkamorka” on to the related “Necromunda” rules, and boiling both
down to their essentials. But given that Jeremy Clarkson has
indicated (on “Top Gear”, with the acquiescence of Eric Bana) that
Australian Motor Sport chiefly comprises drunken brawls between rival
groups of Ford and GM supporters while cars are driven quickly in the
background, perhaps I should create a racing game for “Mad Max” –
style vehicles. “Chunderdrome: many cars enter, maybe one gets to
leave”…

I apologise for the length of this ramble/rant but I thought it might
get someone’s creative juices flowing, either in modelling, or in
telling us their ideas about modelling away from the constraints of
the real world. I won’t be disappointed if it becomes a general
discussion of “What ifs” and even “WTF?s”… This is probably one of
the areas where this group has an advantage over the specific interest
boards – we can use it to toss ideas back and forth between genres,
hopefully to the enrichment of all.

Regards,

Moramarth

Gray Ghost

May 26, 2011, 5:10:38 PM5/26/11
Moramarth <Mora...@moramarth.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:23556311-970a-
4a39-bd41-9...@dn9g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

FWIW

Esci (now in Italeris's hands and possibly Revell De) made a Land Rover LWB
109 in 1/24 with a bunch of small arms in it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESCI-1-24-Land-Rover-109-PARATROOPERS-Model-
Kit-/270730080794

I have one and it's not for sale. 8(

Ltaleri, CyberHobby and Hasegawa make Jeeps in 1/24, Hase made a Kubel and
I beleive Utaleri also may have made a military truck in same scale.

In 1/25 Tamiya and Academy made several tanks including Centurions,
Panthers, JagdPanthers, Tigers, T-34s and SU-100s, you could always bash
them a bit to make them more sci-fi. Tamiya had 1/25 metal figures of
Germna and US soldiers that aren't bad at all and they do come with plastic
small arms an MP-40, Mauser, Garand you could always copt some (for
personal use of course).

Somebody else, Nichimo comes to mind but I can't swear to it, made some
1/24 but they are hard to find and probably not cheap. They are also older
so may not be up to snuff. But if you are imporvising sci-fi...

Tasca makes a Pz II in 1/24 Emhay makes 2 version of a Bedford 5 ton and
MAC Models some older Czech truck.

Check HLJ.com or Great models for a list.

Wespe makes a US 2.5 ton cargo truck.

Couple of diecast M1A1s.

That oughta hold you!

--
Herman Cain for President! http://hermancain.com/
If you don't support him you are a Racist!!

Remember Desert One, Carter 0? Ain't it sad to wish that Obama had as much
ambition but being glad he doesn't knowing he doesn't have THAT much
competence?

Moramarth

May 26, 2011, 10:20:27 PM5/26/11
On May 26, 10:10 pm, Gray Ghost <grey_ghost471-newsgro...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Thanks for reading. I thought I'd put a warning as to length in the
subject line (in square brackets, as is SOP on another group I'm in)
but it looks as if it went AWOL...

> FWIW
>
> Esci (now in Italeris's hands and possibly Revell De) made a Land Rover LWB
> 109 in 1/24 with a bunch of small arms in it.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESCI-1-24-Land-Rover-109-PARATROOPERS-Model-
> Kit-/270730080794
>
> I have one and it's not for sale. 8(
At the price that one went for, I'd not be buying...
If I'm going to do something daft with a kit, I generally adhere to
the SCAT principle - Shouldn't Cost A Tenner...
Being limited for space, I doubt I'll do much in the way of "Mad
Maxing" larger kits - aside from the trashed Mustang (a freebie) I
also have an Airfix Citroen Xsara in 1:24th, which was a Charity Shop
find. I haven't even opened it, but the comments on the net suggest
it is a reboxed Heller kit with issues. So, it's a crap French kit of
a crap French car - it really deserves everything that happens to it,
doesn't it?

> Ltaleri, CyberHobby and Hasegawa make Jeeps in 1/24, Hase made a Kubel and
> I beleive Utaleri also may have made a military truck in same scale.
Thanks, that's handy to know.

> In 1/25 Tamiya and Academy made several tanks including Centurions,
> Panthers, JagdPanthers, Tigers, T-34s and SU-100s, you could always bash
> them a bit to make them more sci-fi.
Possibly a bit heavy duty for what I'm thinking of, but ModelZone
currently have the Academy 1:25th Jagdpanther on sale at seventeen
quid, and even built straight would provide a nice comparison with car
kits in that scale.

>Tamiya had 1/25 metal figures of
> Germna and US soldiers that aren't bad at all and they do come with plastic
> small arms an MP-40, Mauser, Garand you could always copt some (for
> personal use of course).
Of course...

> Somebody else, Nichimo comes to mind but I can't swear to it, made some
> 1/24 but they are hard to find and probably not cheap. They are also older
> so may not be up to snuff. But if you are imporvising sci-fi...
Anything goes...

> Tasca makes a Pz II in 1/24
A M3/M5 Stuart would be nice - there are Monster Trucks built on
those!

>Emhay makes 2 version of a Bedford 5 ton and
> MAC Models some older Czech truck.
> Wespe makes a US 2.5 ton cargo truck.
Again, good to know.

> Couple of diecast M1A1s.
Possibly a definition of "Heavy Metal"...

> That oughta hold you!
Plenty of food for thought. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Moramarth

Gray Ghost

May 26, 2011, 11:16:21 PM5/26/11
Moramarth <Mora...@moramarth.demon.co.uk> wrote in

Het it was an interesting read, something different.

Gray Ghost

May 26, 2011, 11:17:17 PM5/26/11
Moramarth <Mora...@moramarth.demon.co.uk> wrote in

Hey it was an interesting read, something different.

Mad Modeller

May 27, 2011, 1:36:04 AM5/27/11
Back in the '60s when secret agents were all the rage here, AMT did
include parts in some of their auto kits for weapons and other nifty
'tools'. I have a '66 Dodge that had a secret agent building version
that included knock-offs of James Bond 'toys'. I wonder how much of
those parts survived as they weren't really custom auto parts as we
tended to imagine them.

Bill banaszak, MFE Sr.

Moramarth

May 28, 2011, 8:10:19 PM5/28/11
My involvement with US car kits really started in ’67 when Airfix
boxed the MPC models of that years’ Dodge Charger and Pontiac GTO
(shortly followed by the Mustang, my favourite). I made a decent job
of the Goat the first time round, but I kept re-working it until the
carcass was only fit for the bits box. I’ve had a sentimental urge to
replace it ever since. And Lo! –it’s now available from these guys:
http://www.round2models.com/
Not that I’m likely to see it over here…
But when (to feed my nostalgia) I downloaded the instruction sheet,
while much was the same, much that I recall also appeared to be
missing. There were no custom front and rear treatments, no three-
carb set-up, and no Drag interior (although the “cut here” guidelines
for to move the engine backwards are hinted at on the instructions).
I suppose this is a long way of saying given the disappearance of
genuine customising parts from re-issued kits, the secret squirrel
stuff is unlikely to reappear…

Cheers
> Bill Banaszak,

Moramarth

Gray Ghost

May 28, 2011, 11:36:30 PM5/28/11
Moramarth <Mora...@moramarth.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:23556311-970a-4a39-
bd41-904...@dn9g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

More good news!

Italeri 4WD Armed Car 24 6352 Future
Italeri Jeep 1/4 Ton 4x4 24 6351 Future
Italeri Kfz.305 Medium 3 Ton Truck 24 6354 Future
Italeri LWB 109 24 6353 Future

http://www.cybermodeler.com/special/2011_armor_scale.shtml

Except of course Italieri has lost it's frigging mind on pricing!

Moramarth

May 29, 2011, 12:44:43 AM5/29/11
On May 29, 4:36 am, Gray Ghost <grey_ghost471-newsgro...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Moramarth <Morama...@moramarth.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:23556311-970a-4a39-
> bd41-9047a7214...@dn9g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

> More good news!
>
> Italeri 4WD Armed Car 24 6352 Future
> Italeri Jeep 1/4 Ton 4x4 24 6351 Future
> Italeri Kfz.305 Medium 3 Ton Truck 24 6354 Future
> Italeri LWB 109 24 6353 Future
>
> http://www.cybermodeler.com/special/2011_armor_scale.shtml
>
> Except of course Italieri has lost it's frigging mind on pricing!

Good news indeed, for those with deep pockets...
I wonder if the "LWB 109" is a re-issue of your Land Rover?
The "4WD Armed Car" is intriguing - as it has the next catalogue
number after the Jeep, I wonder if it could be a 1:24 equivalent of
their limited edition 1:35 "Commando Car" - an armed and armoured
Jeep used by special forces in northern Europe later in WW2?

Regards,

Moramarth

Gray Ghost

May 29, 2011, 2:44:55 AM5/29/11

> On May 29, 4:36 am, Gray Ghost <grey_ghost471-newsgro...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> Moramarth <Morama...@moramarth.demon.co.uk> wrote in
>> bd41-9047a7214...@dn9g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
>>

>> More good news!
>>
>> Italeri 4WD Armed Car 24 6352 Future

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/message/1303868905/Italeri+1-24
+Toyota+Technical+almost+out-

>> Italeri Jeep 1/4 Ton 4x4 24 6351 Future
>> Italeri Kfz.305 Medium 3 Ton Truck 24 6354 Future
>> Italeri LWB 109 24 6353 Future
>>
>> http://www.cybermodeler.com/special/2011_armor_scale.shtml
>>
>> Except of course Italieri has lost it's frigging mind on pricing!
>
> Good news indeed, for those with deep pockets...
> I wonder if the "LWB 109" is a re-issue of your Land Rover?
> The "4WD Armed Car" is intriguing - as it has the next catalogue
> number after the Jeep, I wonder if it could be a 1:24 equivalent of
> their limited edition 1:35 "Commando Car" - an armed and armoured
> Jeep used by special forces in northern Europe later in WW2?
>
> Regards,
>
> Moramarth

I'm betting the LWB 109 is the military version. The civil version is out
under a different number.

Moramarth

May 29, 2011, 9:32:40 AM5/29/11
On May 29, 7:44 am, Gray Ghost <grey_ghost471-newsgro...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/message/1303868905/Italeri+1-24
> +Toyota+Technical+almost+out-
That's great news, it's close to what I was looking for. Pity it
wasn't a Hilux...
And I've just snagged a SNEB pod from a friend!

> > I wonder if the "LWB 109" is a re-issue of your Land Rover?
>

> I'm betting the LWB 109 is the military version. The civil version is out
> under a different number.
Already? - I'll have to restrain myself until the one with the Jimpy
(GPMG) comes out.

Cheers,

Moramarth

Mad Modeller

May 30, 2011, 1:52:13 AM5/30/11
Whatever was in the '66 Dodge kit got dumped when they altered the
moulds to make a custom dragster called "The Magnum." It made sense at
the time but there's a car we'll never see in styrene again. :(

Bill Banaszak, MFE sr.