The ultimate oxymoron

1 view

Andrew S. Miller

Jan 20, 2004, 4:14:39 PM1/20/04
According to CNN, a Scottish packer is preparing to market haggis in the
US. To suit American tastes, the product line will include VEGETARIAN
HAGGIS!

http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/20/news/funny/haggis_us.reut/index.htm
--
Regards,

Andrew S. Miller

Howard Zane

Jan 20, 2004, 6:23:06 PM1/20/04
Nothing to do with choo choos, but I got to put in my 5 cents.....oxymoron
top list:
.customer service
.military intelligence
.civil war
.honest politician

Howard Zane
5236 Thunder Hill Road
Columbia, MD 21045
410-730-1036
"Andrew S. Miller" <asmi...@mitre.org> wrote in message

Corelane

Jan 20, 2004, 8:37:38 PM1/20/04
>VEGETARIAN HAGGIS!

Yuk! That's about as appetizing as Soy-based Scrapple.

chooch

Jan 20, 2004, 10:04:52 PM1/20/04
"Howard Zane" <hza...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<S4OdnRpOjeb...@comcast.com>...

> Nothing to do with choo choos, but I got to put in my 5 cents.....oxymoron
> top list:
> .customer service
> .military intelligence
> .civil war
> .honest politician
>
> Howard Zane
> > According to CNN, a Scottish packer is preparing to market haggis in the
> > US. To suit American tastes, the product line will include VEGETARIAN
> > HAGGIS!
> >
> > http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/20/news/funny/haggis_us.reut/index.htm
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Andrew S. Miller

Howard
You forgot a few
Jumbo shrimp
and my favorite,
rational woman

Chooch

Ainsley Specialized Transport

Jan 21, 2004, 1:58:16 AM1/21/04
> > Nothing to do with choo choos, but I got to put in my 5
cents.....oxymoron
> > top list:
> > .customer service
> > .military intelligence
> > .civil war
> > .honest politician

How could you forget "On-Time Delivery" or "Postal Service"?
_________________________________
Andrew Bunn
Ainsley Specialized Transport
bun...@ns.sympatico.NOSPAMMERS.ca
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada

Ashley Sanders

Jan 21, 2004, 3:48:06 AM1/21/04
Corelane wrote:
>>VEGETARIAN HAGGIS!
>
> Yuk! That's about as appetizing as Soy-based Scrapple.

If it is McSweens (sp?) then their vegetarian haggis
is very nice. Don't expect it to be the same as
traditional haggis -- just enjoy it for what it is.

Ashley.

Brian Paul Ehni

Jan 21, 2004, 10:28:55 AM1/21/04
On 1/21/04 2:48 AM, in article bulefs$2tk$1...@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk, "Ashley
Sanders" <a.sa...@mccx.acy.ukz.notvalid> wrote:

I don't "get" vegetarians. They don't want to eat meat, but they want their
soy to TASTE like it.
--
Brian Ehni

Andrew S. Miller

Jan 21, 2004, 11:38:46 AM1/21/04
to chooch
My favorite is "Rap Music" (Not allowed in the Acela quiet car - required RR content)

Roger T.

Jan 21, 2004, 12:04:14 PM1/21/04
Absolute permisive block

Talk about an oxymoron.

Cheers
Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway
www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra

Steve Caple

Jan 21, 2004, 1:07:11 PM1/21/04
Brian Paul Ehni wrote:
> I don't "get" vegetarians. They don't want to eat meat, but they want their
> soy to TASTE like it.

Perhaps for those customers who don't dislike meat, but rather
prefer the gaseous results of soy protein.

--
Steve Caple
(who prefers tofu marinated and baked, or at least well stir-

Ainsley Specialized Transport

Jan 21, 2004, 1:14:34 PM1/21/04
> I don't "get" vegetarians. They don't want to eat meat, but they want
their
> soy to TASTE like it.

Vegetarian is an old Indian word. It means "Poor Hunter".

Mark Mathu

Jan 21, 2004, 1:39:41 PM1/21/04
> If it is McSweens (sp?) then their vegetarian haggis
> is very nice.

No, the article comes right out in the first sentence and says that it
is Stahly Quality Foods, not Charles Macsween.

Brian Paul Ehni

Jan 21, 2004, 3:11:59 PM1/21/04
On 1/21/04 12:39 PM, in article
73ea38cd.04012...@posting.google.com, "Mark Mathu"
<ma...@mathu.com> wrote:

Just remember: Soylent Green is PEOPLE!
--
Brian Ehni

Chris Curren

Jan 21, 2004, 2:44:18 PM1/21/04
"Howard Zane" <hza...@comcast.network> wrote in message

> Nothing to do with choo choos, but I got to put in my 5 cents.....oxymoron
> top list:
> .customer service
> .military intelligence
> .civil war
> .honest politician

My all-time favorite... "permanent guest host"

Chris Curren
http://www.GeoCities.com/Curren_NYC/
[All e-mails (incoming/outgoing) scanned with Norton Antivirus 2002 (Remove
"Don't" to reply via e-mail).]
======================================
Notice to bulk e-mail senders (better known as scum sucking spammers):
Pursuant to U.S. code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227: "any and
all non-solicited commercial e-mail send to this e-mail address is
subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500.00 (five
hundred dollars) in U.S. funds. E-mailing denotes acceptance of these
terms."

JB/NL

Jan 21, 2004, 7:10:46 PM1/21/04
kbkc...@adelphia.net (chooch) wrote in

Public transportation.

--
Jeroen "JN-Scale" Braamhaar <tsu...@xs4all.nl>
There's no N Scale like Japanese N Scale!

Woodard R. Springstube

Jan 21, 2004, 8:39:54 PM1/21/04
"Ainsley Specialized Transport"
<bun...@ns.sympaticoNOSPAMMERS.ca> wrote in

Furthermore, "vegan" is an old Indian word for "really, really
poor hunter."

Woodard R. Springstube

Jan 21, 2004, 8:41:45 PM1/21/04
"JB/NL" <tsu...@xs4all.nl> wrote in

> Public transportation.

You could be from Austin, Texas. Are you sure that you have
never ridden our Cap Metro System (a.k.a. Crap Metro. . . )?

Roger T.

Jan 21, 2004, 10:56:02 PM1/21/04
A vegetarian diet is what food eats.

Bruce Favinger

Jan 21, 2004, 11:12:13 PM1/21/04
On Topic Thread.

"Ainsley Specialized Transport" <bun...@ns.sympaticoNOSPAMMERS.ca> wrote in

message news:cqpPb.69437$IF6.1...@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

Hzakas

Jan 22, 2004, 12:44:49 AM1/22/04
Some of the terms bandied about in this thread aren't, IMHO, oxymorons, such as
"customer service."

However, some that DO come to mind...

"Quality product from Bachmann/Rivarossi/Life-Like (the regular line stuff)"

Central Intelligence

Railroad management (ask how I know this!)

Dieter Zakas

JCunington

Jan 22, 2004, 1:23:27 AM1/22/04
>Furthermore, "vegan" is an old Indian word for "really, really
>poor hunter."

No, it means "can't even find a chicken nest".

Jay
Heart attacks - God's revenge for eating his furry creations. (saw it on a
bumper sticker).

Roger T.

Jan 22, 2004, 2:03:02 AM1/22/04

"Hzakas" <hza...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Some of the terms bandied about in this thread aren't, IMHO, oxymorons,
such as
> "customer service."
>
> However, some that DO come to mind...
>
> "Quality product from Bachmann/Rivarossi/Life-Like (the regular line
stuff)"

Given "quality" of their regular line of models, just plain "Life-Like" is
the biggest oxymoron.

Woodard R. Springstube

Jan 22, 2004, 10:18:17 AM1/22/04
jcuni...@aol.comjkelm (JCunington) wrote in

>>Furthermore, "vegan" is an old Indian word for "really,
>>really poor hunter."
>
> No, it means "can't even find a chicken nest".

And, somebody who can't even find a chicken or other bird's nest
*is* a really, really bad hunter who also can't find a fishing
stream or even a bug.

JCunington

Jan 22, 2004, 3:21:18 PM1/22/04
>And, somebody who can't even find a chicken or other bird's nest
>*is* a really, really bad hunter who also can't find a fishing
>stream or even a bug.

OK, translation _is_ an inexact science sometimes.

Jay
CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

JB/NL

Jan 22, 2004, 6:00:32 PM1/22/04
"Woodard R. Springstube" <springst...@Diespammer.net> wrote in

Worse. I'm from the Netherlands.
We used to (noticed, _used to_) have an acceptable national train system
... then Brussels (actually, Paris) started screaming about privatization
and open competition, added consumer choice (Hah! that's another -
consumer choice), lower prices ...

We're a couple years down the line now. Our rail system now resembles
that of Britain (partially broken down, badly maintained, an accident
waiting to happen) prices have skyrocketed, we STILL don't have a choice,
and the trains are rarely on time .....

And I'm not even THINKING about talking about buses ...

Rick Jones

Jan 22, 2004, 6:12:06 PM1/22/04
chooch wrote:
> "Howard Zane" <hza...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> Nothing to do with choo choos, but I got to put in my 5
>> cents.....oxymoron top list: .customer service .military
>> intelligence .civil war .honest politician
>
> Jumbo shrimp and my favorite, rational woman

Business ethics

--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

The Lake Erie & Oregon Railroad
http://www.geocities.com/seventysixinchesoffun/

"I just hope he doesn't make a testicle of himself."
-Kelly Bundy, "Married With Children"

wan...@cogeco.cant

Jan 22, 2004, 6:56:22 PM1/22/04
On this group, it would be

Jerry or Mr. Rathy saying "I see your point".

--
Will
HO - Credit Valley Railway
"Rick Jones" <rtj...@extra.ev1.net> wrote in message

Woodard R. Springstube

Jan 22, 2004, 9:12:05 PM1/22/04
"JB/NL" <tsu...@xs4all.nl> wrote in

> "Woodard R. Springstube" <springst...@Diespammer.net>
> wrote in
>
>> "JB/NL" <tsu...@xs4all.nl> wrote in
>>

>>> Public transportation.
>>>

>> You could be from Austin, Texas. Are you sure that you
>> have never ridden our Cap Metro System (a.k.a. Crap Metro.
>> . . )?
>
> Worse. I'm from the Netherlands.
> We used to (noticed, _used to_) have an acceptable national
> train system ... then Brussels (actually, Paris) started
> screaming about privatization and open competition, added
> consumer choice (Hah! that's another - consumer choice),
> lower prices ...
>
> We're a couple years down the line now. Our rail system now
> resembles that of Britain (partially broken down, badly
> maintained, an accident waiting to happen) prices have
> skyrocketed, we STILL don't have a choice, and the trains
> are rarely on time .....
>
> And I'm not even THINKING about talking about buses ...

Our transit system is a tax-subsidized, publicly owned system
with a board of directors appointed by the city governments
that participate in the Capital Metropolitan Transit
Authority. A couple of years ago, they wanted to add light
rail. I voted against it; because, I didn't trust Cap Metro
to know how to spend $1 Billion and come up with a usable
system. The routes are such that it took me 45 minutes to 1
hour and 15 minutes and a transfer to get to either my doctor
or dentist (I could drive it in 15 minutes or less). To make
matters worse, too many of the buses stank of stale urine from
the bums and winos. The City of Austin desperately wants more
people on the buses. Do you know how they propose to go about
reaching that goal? They never even thought about changing
routes, cleaning up buses, etc. The City Council proposed to
change the streets to make driving more inconvenient! I had
better stop writing about it now, or I will begin to post way
too much vulgar language.

Woodard R. Springstube

Jan 22, 2004, 9:14:30 PM1/22/04
Rick Jones <rtj...@extra.ev1.net> wrote in news:1010m324g2bnn58
@corp.supernews.com:

> chooch wrote:
>> "Howard Zane" <hza...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Nothing to do with choo choos, but I got to put in my 5
>>> cents.....oxymoron top list: .customer service .military
>>> intelligence .civil war .honest politician
>>
>> Jumbo shrimp and my favorite, rational woman
>
> Business ethics

If some business people pull an Enron, then all business people
are crooks? Horse manure! That is like saying all blacks and
hispanics are pimps, drug dealers, and gansters. You are guilty
of the fallacy of composition. A few business people are
crooked, a few minorities commit crimes, but to paint a whole
group with the actions of a minority says more about *you* than
it does about them.

Roger T.

Jan 22, 2004, 10:13:59 PM1/22/04

"Woodard R. Springstube" <

> > Business ethics
> >

> If some business people pull an Enron, then all business people
> are crooks? Horse manure! That is like saying all blacks and
> hispanics are pimps, drug dealers, and gansters. You are guilty
> of the fallacy of composition. A few business people are
> crooked, a few minorities commit crimes, but to paint a whole
> group with the actions of a minority says more about *you* than
> it does about them.

IT'S A JOKE!

Get it? A JOKE!

Humour.

Not to be taken seriously.

Jeez, some people need to get a sense of humour.

Mark Newton

Jan 22, 2004, 10:17:57 PM1/22/04
Woodard R. Springstube wrote:

> If some business people pull an Enron, then all business people are
> crooks? Horse manure! That is like saying all blacks and hispanics
> are pimps, drug dealers, and gansters.

Who, or what is a hispanic?

Howard Zane

Jan 22, 2004, 11:11:10 PM1/22/04
Here is a better one relating to trains...and the only one word oxymoron I
can think of............ Regarding Sunset Models...."Prestige".
HZ

--
Howard Zane
5236 Thunder Hill Road

"Howard Zane" <hza...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Nothing to do with choo choos, but I got to put in my 5 cents.....oxymoron
> top list:
> .customer service
> .military intelligence
> .civil war
> .honest politician
>

> Howard Zane
> 5236 Thunder Hill Road
> Columbia, MD 21045
> 410-730-1036

DaveW

Jan 22, 2004, 11:36:50 PM1/22/04

Since I don't know what part of the world Mr. Springstube lives in, I
will take that as a legitimate question. I would imagine that it is not
in common usage in the UK, Australia or New Zealand.

Here in the USA, Hispanic refers to persons of Mexican, Central American
or South American (with some exceptions) origins. It is based on the
Spanish Colonial influence and language that prevails in that part of
the world. It means the same as Latin American or Latino, and is the
term used by the US government for census and other purposes and is used
in descriptions of persons in the press. It is not considered derogatory.

I honestly do not know if it is supposed to apply to Brazilians as
Brazil was colonized by Portugal, or those from places colonized by
other than the Spanish.

Regards,

DAve

Mark Mathu

Jan 23, 2004, 1:15:10 AM1/23/04
> On Topic Thread.

Honest opinion.

Mark Mathu

Jan 23, 2004, 1:47:24 AM1/23/04
"Brian Paul Ehni" <be...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Just remember: Soylent Green is PEOPLE!

And WMD are just around the corner.

JCunington

Jan 23, 2004, 2:29:31 AM1/23/04
Ultimate oxymoron:

Happy wife.

Jay
If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Brian Paul Ehni

Jan 23, 2004, 8:21:31 AM1/23/04
On 1/22/04 10:36 PM, in article Cx1Qb.14649$h77....@nwrddc02.gnilink.net,
"DaveW" <sps...@verizon.net> wrote:

And derives from the word "Hispanola", the island comprising Haiti and the
Dominican Republic.
--
Brian Ehni

Brian Paul Ehni

Jan 23, 2004, 8:22:45 AM1/23/04
On 1/22/04 10:11 PM, in article YMidnfEzFod...@comcast.com, "Howard
Zane" <hza...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Here is a better one relating to trains...and the only one word oxymoron I
> can think of............ Regarding Sunset Models...."Prestige".
> HZ

FWIW, I have some of the latter Sunset brass (ATSF 4-8-2, 2-8-2, and two SP
2-8-0) and all run great.
--
Brian Ehni

Howard Zane

Jan 23, 2004, 8:54:14 AM1/23/04
I'm just funnin' about Sunset "Prestige". It is an interesting choice
term/name to describe entry level/affordable or budget brass. Some are
rather good and do run well. I hope I did not come off as a brass snob, as
I'm not and I certainly do recognize Sunset's niche in the field.
HZ

--
Howard Zane
5236 Thunder Hill Road

Ainsley Specialized Transport

Jan 23, 2004, 1:00:34 PM1/23/04
Or a life. Sometimes the truth just hurts. <grin>

Dan Merkel

Jan 23, 2004, 4:45:59 PM1/23/04
Almost exactly...

"Mark Mathu" <ma...@mathu.com> wrote in message

Bruce Favinger

Jan 23, 2004, 6:36:39 PM1/23/04
Rational Opinion

Woodard R. Springstube

Jan 23, 2004, 10:08:56 PM1/23/04
"Roger T." <roge...@highspeedplus.com> wrote in

Sorry about that! I guess that I have lunch too often with
too many liberal arts faculty members. They aren't even sure
that a College of Business is appropriate for higher ed, and
several of them are really far left. And, after a bunch of
snide comments about Enron every day, I got a bit defensive.
Of course, it is budget time, and everybody is fighting for
turf. Academic politics can be some of the worst.

Hzakas

Jan 23, 2004, 10:42:45 PM1/23/04
entry level )
affordable ) brass
budget )

Wow...THREE oxymorons! :-)

Dieter Zakas

Roger T.

Jan 24, 2004, 12:52:39 AM1/24/04
Full size mini van

Joe Ellis

Jan 24, 2004, 11:00:05 AM1/24/04
Liberal thinktank

JCunington

Jan 24, 2004, 9:59:49 PM1/24/04
>Liberal thinktank

Careful! That's a political statement and liable to result in another useless
flame war.

Interesting note though. Why _is_ it that we only hear about _conservative_
think tanks? I'm sure the liberals must have some. I'll have to google-whack
it.

Steve Caple

Jan 25, 2004, 2:48:17 PM1/25/04
JCunington wrote:
> Why _is_ it that we only hear about _conservative_
> think tanks?

Because they have more money - like the "Climate Council"

--
Steve Caple