Best mail order model train site?

John Armstrong

Jul 25, 2003, 7:04:13 PM7/25/03
When you need to go on-line and shop for your model trains and
supplies where do you go?

Who has the best prices and the best service?

Roger T.

Jul 25, 2003, 7:13:14 PM7/25/03

"John Armstrong" <armst...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> When you need to go on-line and shop for your model trains and
> supplies where do you go?
>
> Who has the best prices and the best service?

Yes. Who ever fits the above description at the time I order. No fixed
loyalty, it's all about price.

--
Cheers
Roger T.

http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/
Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Ken Rice

Jul 25, 2003, 9:44:09 PM7/25/03
In article <af92431.03072...@posting.google.com>,
armst...@yahoo.com says...

>When you need to go on-line and shop for your model trains and
>supplies where do you go?

>Who has the best prices and the best service?

For N-scale, I use the following two onlines shops the most:

Brooklyn Locomotive Works at http://www.blwnscale.com/
which consistently has the lowest US prices.

Rainbow Ten at http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html
which has all the Japanese releases that rarely, make it to the US.

http://users.erols.com/kennrice
Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.

Dennis E. Golden

Jul 25, 2003, 11:22:27 PM7/25/03
My favorites are: Trainworld, Caboose Hobbies, Toy Train Heaven, and for
Canadian prototypes, Lockspur. I find that you tend to get the best service
if you frequent the same people repeatedly.

Den

"Ken Rice" <n...@email.ads> wrote in message

Ezra Kowadlo

Jul 26, 2003, 3:49:28 AM7/26/03
Flying Scotsman Hobbies. Honest, dependable and answers all queries.

www.fshobby.com

I purchase from Australia and everything arrives safe and sound.

Marshall D Abrams

Jul 26, 2003, 11:34:04 AM7/26/03
I agree completely.

Jim McLaughlin

Jul 26, 2003, 12:19:06 PM7/26/03
Your mileage will vary depending upon what you want.

About two weeks ago I inquired of blwnscale concerning reserving and
pre ordering (and putting a deposit down on) a couple of MicroAce items
that are scheduled for November release.

More than 10 days go by without a response from blwnscale.

I repeated the inquiry Thursday.

The reply I received from "Pete" at blwnscale on Friday was "Don't know
if we will be able to obtain these or not."

Hello? Here's a reservation and deposits / partial pre payment for
multiple units and you don't even go to your distributor / importer /
manufacturer with an order / reservation? Instead you just blow off a
customer with cash / plastic card in hand?

Very odd way to run a business.

I found a more amenable dealer and ordered there.
--
Jim McLaughlin
I am getting really tired of spam, so the reply address is munged.

Jim Bernier

Jul 26, 2003, 1:41:28 PM7/26/03
Jim,

I have delt with 'Pete' many times and the service is usually very
fast. One problem you might run into is that if you are 'pre-ordering'
very late in the game, you may not get the product. Let me explain. A
lot of the distributors get advance orders from dealers. Many dealer do
not pick up the orders hen the model finally arrives. The distributor
sort of add's some extra 'cushion' and acepts more orders from dealers
because he 'knows' there will be some dealers who cancel out. Guess
what? A really popular model or paint scheme may wind up with more
orders than the manufacturer actually produced(Kato is a good example).
Your 'late' pre-order may have
been in that arena(did you order the JNR 2-8-0?) Also, I have never
paid up front for any of my Atlas/Kato/Life-Like engines that I have
ordered.

BLW, TexNrails, and Rio Grande Hobbies seem to all be good for N scale
mail order.

Jim Bernier

Mikal Fisher

Jul 26, 2003, 2:14:04 PM7/26/03
For O gauge, I always go to Western Depot first. Very nice people, good
service and fair prices

Eric

Jul 26, 2003, 4:02:56 PM7/26/03
John Armstrong wrote:

I've found that Trainworld usually has the best prices on the basic
stuff, staples like P2K Athearn Bachmann etc. The owner isn't a train
person and he keeps away from non-RTR stuff, Athearn and structure
kits being the exception to this. They're also one of my local hobby
shops and sell at the same prices as they mail order. If you're making
a large order they'll average out as the best order price.

Toy Train Heaven is a little more expensive but has some specialty
items available.

I've also used Standard Hobby Supply and Model Railway Post Office.

If your going to buy one or two items your best bet is to find who has
them the cheapest at that particular point in time.

I can tell you who to stay away from. Red Caboose in Manhattan. 110%
of MSRP. Owned by a rude sarcastic unhelpful jerk who'll try to sell
you Marklin because "Proto, Kato and Atlas are just cheap trash made
in Asia."

Eric

MrRathburne

Jul 26, 2003, 4:24:01 PM7/26/03
I use Al at Eastern Classic. Not 'online' but email and phone calls.
1-201-967-0161 or ec...@aol.com.

Best service and prices in the industry.

No online service where you deal with a computer can compare to
dealing with a HUMAN who knows and wants your business.

Bill

Jul 26, 2003, 4:34:25 PM7/26/03
Jim wrote:
Very odd way to run a business.
I have been doing business with BLW since 1991 and places over 200
orders with Peter Postel and he's always been very helpful and honest.
Great service and fair prices.

Bill
Bill's Railroad Empire
N Scale Model Railroad:
http://www.billsrailroad.net
Brief History of N Scale:
http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale
Resources: Links to over 500 helpful sites:
http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore.html

JCunington

Jul 26, 2003, 4:55:32 PM7/26/03
>who'll try to sell
>you Marklin because "Proto, Kato and Atlas are just cheap trash made
>in Asia."

Huh? Trash? Excuse me? That must be why they've all gone out of business. NOT!

Marklin: Overpriced European stuff. A Swiss colleague said he can get the stuff
in Switzerland at almost half the price (before the dollar declined recently),
and a greater variety than what's on the west side of the pond.

Boy, the crap some people dish out to try to make a better sale.

Jay
Modeling the North Shore & North Western
C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955
E-mail is now open
ab...@aol.com

Railfan

Jul 26, 2003, 5:18:44 PM7/26/03
MrRathburne wrote:

> I use Al at Eastern Classic. Not 'online' but email and phone calls.
> 1-201-967-0161 or ec...@aol.com.
>
> Best service and prices in the industry.
>
> No online service where you deal with a computer can compare to
> dealing with a HUMAN who knows and wants your business.

Reminds me, where has Al been all the while? He used to post his
fabulous sales here on r.m.r. pretty regularly some time ago.

Bob boudreau
Canada

Jeff Law

Jul 26, 2003, 5:53:37 PM7/26/03
Absolutely - Peter is great!

I'm in New Zealand.

"Ezra Kowadlo" <kow...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

Ken Rice

Jul 26, 2003, 7:31:34 PM7/26/03
In article <_RxUa.133861$OZ2.26251@rwcrnsc54>,
jim.mclaughl...@comcast.net says...

> Your mileage will vary depending upon what you want.

> About two weeks ago I inquired of blwnscale concerning reserving and
>pre ordering (and putting a deposit down on) a couple of MicroAce items
>that are scheduled for November release.

> More than 10 days go by without a response from blwnscale.

> I repeated the inquiry Thursday.

> The reply I received from "Pete" at blwnscale on Friday was "Don't know
>if we will be able to obtain these or not."

> Hello? Here's a reservation and deposits / partial pre payment for
>multiple units and you don't even go to your distributor / importer /
>manufacturer with an order / reservation? Instead you just blow off a
>customer with cash / plastic card in hand?

> Very odd way to run a business.

> I found a more amenable dealer and ordered there.

Micro Ace has a very large selection of Japanese prototype N-scale trains. A
very, very small percentage of their selection every makes it to the US
markets. I have only seen one of their models at a US online dealer, and very
few on ebay. What does show up in the US comes in via the "grey market'
importers, probably Mokei.

Pete won't know which MicroAce models, if any, he will be able to get until
they are offered to him by an importer. He can't preorder a model he has no way
of knowing that he can get. Would you prefer he take your reservation and a
year later tell you he couldn't get it, thereby causing you to miss out on
getting it at another dealer that did have it?

Pete deserves a ton of credit for being honest with you.

By the way, which dealer did you preorder it from?

JJRNJ

Jul 26, 2003, 8:37:06 PM7/26/03
Al is the best. I've been doing business with him for about 6-7 years, long
before he started doing business online. I met him at a few different model RR
shows, and I began buying, and later, also selling items to him. Al is a
stand-up guy. He goes well out of his way to take care of his customers, there
is none better out there then Al De Lia. And, aside from being a great source
of model RR supplies, Al has become a great friend.
Jeff

MrRathburne

Jul 26, 2003, 9:39:28 PM7/26/03
He is alive and well. He does email now versus RMR. (RMR has drifted
off into OT rants and bashes mostly, Model Railroading is a
sidelight).

If you are not on it get on his email list. I just got a box of Atlas
stuff at great prices. Some older GP40s I could not find anywhere. A
call to Al and two weeks later, there they were.

Also some Proto engines.