Batman vs Superman?

brucew

May 28, 2004, 3:04:56 PM5/28/04
At a movie press conference in the UK yesterday Gary Oldman mentioned,
among other things, something that the actor Michael Caine had said to
him about Superman vs the Batman: the former being how America views
itself; the latter, darker 'vigilante-esque' character being how the
rest of the world views America.

Anyone have any thought-balloons of their own about that observation?

Earl Camembert

May 28, 2004, 4:16:21 PM5/28/04
On 28 May 2004 12:04:56 -0700, capedcru...@hotmail.com (brucew)
wrote:

I thought the world viewed the US of A as the "Great Satan".

Ben D

May 28, 2004, 4:41:43 PM5/28/04
brucew wrote:

Let me see, when I was researching my thesis (on this very subject) I
found this quotation:

“The difference between Gotham and Metropolis succinctly summarizes
the differences between the two superheroes. As current Batman editor
Dennis O’Neil put it: ‘Gotham is Manhattan below Fourteenth Street at 3
a.m., November 28 in a cold year. Metropolis is Manhattan between
Fourteenth and One Hundred and Tenth Streets on the brightest, sunniest
July day of the year’” (9).

-Boichel, Bill. “Batman: Commodity as Myth.” The Many Lives of the
Batman: Critical Approaches to a Superhero and his Media. Eds. Roberta
E. Pearson and William Uricchio. New York: Routledge, 1991. 4-17.

I think that the differences between the two superheroes are the
differences in America's own psyche. The two certainly have thrived in
multiple media in America because they appeal to different parts of the
American experience. The upstanding, trustworthy symbol of authority vs.
the vigilante protector. Certainly there's discussion to be had, but
both of them are uniquely American in their own way, produced by
American artists and dominant American symbols.

Ben

El Queso

May 28, 2004, 6:50:19 PM5/28/04
brucew wrote:

Frank Miller said it all in "The dark knight returns".
Queso

El Queso

May 28, 2004, 6:51:19 PM5/28/04
Earl Camembert wrote:

No, Great Satan was my favorite giant robot anime of the 1970's... or
was that Great Mazinger?
Queso

'Vejita' S. Cousin

May 28, 2004, 7:30:30 PM5/28/04
In article <c07ece2.04052...@posting.google.com>,

It has already been weel established in "Batman: The Dark Knight
Returns" that Batman beats superman. IIRC he does so again in the sequal
to said novel. "The Worlds Finest" also suggests this.
And in the end, who really gives a ^(*&^#*(& what the UK thinks of
America :) When they learn how to cook and stop producing ugly women,
THEN we 'might' start to pay some attention to their opinions/views [note
- last part is humor]

GreenDistantStar

May 28, 2004, 9:38:36 PM5/28/04

"Earl Camembert" <nos...@forme.org> wrote in message

Funnt how short memories can be.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s when the former USSR invaded Afghanistan,
the communists were "The Great Satan".

Now it's the USA?

"Great Satan" = anyone who disagrees with their Islamic fundamentalist
views.

GDS

BillMahoney68

May 29, 2004, 12:00:47 AM5/29/04
>capedcru...@hotmail.com (brucew)

The USA is a dark Superman.
Like Bizzarro, or Black Adam.

Thats why we are the shiznit.

Gi

Earl Camembert

May 29, 2004, 12:19:46 AM5/29/04

We won the cold war and are the undisputed "Great Satan". Long may we
retain that title.

phauna

May 29, 2004, 6:19:34 AM5/29/04

"Earl Camembert" <nos...@forme.org> wrote in message

If there was a god then there could be a great satan. But there's not.

Earl Camembert

May 29, 2004, 1:17:35 PM5/29/04
On Sat, 29 May 2004 20:19:34 +1000, "phauna" <pha...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Earl Camembert" <nos...@forme.org> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 29 May 2004 01:38:36 GMT, "GreenDistantStar"
>> <GreenDis...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>>

>> >"Earl Camembert" <nos...@forme.org> wrote in message

>> >Funnt how short memories can be.
>> >
>> >In the late 1970s and early 1980s when the former USSR invaded
>Afghanistan,
>> >the communists were "The Great Satan".
>> >
>> >Now it's the USA?
>>
>> We won the cold war and are the undisputed "Great Satan". Long may we
>> retain that title.
>
>If there was a god then there could be a great satan. But there's not.

As long as people believe in one there is th other. Good and evil are
human concepts.

kirks...@yourclothesoperamail.com

May 29, 2004, 5:28:55 PM5/29/04
Superman by armbar 2:12

Remove "your clothes" to email me

dany belinfante

May 30, 2004, 7:43:52 AM5/30/04

"Earl Camembert" <nos...@forme.org> wrote in message

> >Now it's the USA?
>
> We won the cold war and are the undisputed "Great Satan". Long may we
> retain that title.

Indeed. The US *should* regard it as a badge of honour.
Dany

suds mcduff

May 30, 2004, 10:23:15 AM5/30/04
> And in the end, who really gives a ^(*&^#*(& what the UK thinks of
> America :) When they learn how to cook and stop producing ugly women,
> THEN we 'might' start to pay some attention to their opinions/views [note
> - last part is humor]

-----Looks like they got the second requirement down:
http://www.jurgita.com/models-id2861.html

mark goldberg

May 30, 2004, 6:15:26 PM5/30/04
dany belinfante wrote:

Anytime those people say you're the Great Satan... wear it with pride.
Because a monster has just meowed at it's own reflection without an iota
of understanding that the mirror reflection is their own.

Mark