To Gong Sau or not to Gong Sau, that's the question

theoriginaldimi

Oct 17, 2006, 9:09:04 AM10/17/06
I've been told that a gym that I plan to join also offers 1 hour per
week of Tai Chi training. I'm interested in joining the gym just for
the strength training and cardio equipment, and as a member I could
join that class free of charge.

Classes are once per week only, at 10h00 in the morning on a Tuesday
IIRC. The students must be people that have little else to do during
the day. According to the gym owner they are "a bunch of elderly and
unemployed" (his words, not mine, as I didn't see these particular
athletes in action yet). Apparently the instructor is a 50-something
year old skinny lady.

Now I have been more then a little sceptic about the martial
application of Tai Chi. It doesn't look like fighting to me, and I've
been told that I can't judge it before I have "felt" it.

Should I take on day off work and go over there to challenge the
teacher and to "feel" the real inner strength of Tai Chi?

Or should I take the spinning class with the hot, sweaty, spandex clad
chicks that is held a bit later on the same day? Or I could take the
day off and use the time to repaint my living room.

So many choices, so little time!

Dimitri

Badger North

Oct 17, 2006, 9:21:58 AM10/17/06

theoriginaldimi wrote:
> Should I take on day off work and go over there to challenge the
> teacher and to "feel" the real inner strength of Tai Chi?
>
> Or should I take the spinning class with the hot, sweaty, spandex clad
> chicks that is held a bit later on the same day? Or I could take the
> day off and use the time to repaint my living room.

Go see the hot, sweaty chicks. They are, after all, hot and sweaty
Do not repaint your living room. You are a man, and therefore, do not
notice such things.
Do not challenge the tai chi teacher. She is a hippy.

HTH

Badger North
www.youngforest.ca

theoriginaldimi

Oct 17, 2006, 9:25:46 AM10/17/06

Badger North schreef:

> theoriginaldimi wrote:
> > Should I take on day off work and go over there to challenge the
> > teacher and to "feel" the real inner strength of Tai Chi?
> >
> > Or should I take the spinning class with the hot, sweaty, spandex clad
> > chicks that is held a bit later on the same day? Or I could take the
> > day off and use the time to repaint my living room.
>
> Go see the hot, sweaty chicks. They are, after all, hot and sweaty

Yes, it seems like the smart decision, however...

> Do not repaint your living room. You are a man, and therefore, do not
> notice such things.

as a man I have certain needs that go beyond looking at sweaty chicks
on bikes. My wife knows this, and therefore refusing to paint the
living room might not make my life all that much more exiting.

> Do not challenge the tai chi teacher. She is a hippy.

I choose only to fight winnable wars. Plus all that breathing exercise
she probably does might make "feeling her inner strength" a worthwile
experience. She must suck like a hoover.

> HTH

Hand-To-Hand? Yeah, I was not planning on going in there armed.

Dimitri

Shuurai

Oct 17, 2006, 10:48:01 AM10/17/06

Badger North wrote:
> theoriginaldimi wrote:
> > Should I take on day off work and go over there to challenge the
> > teacher and to "feel" the real inner strength of Tai Chi?
> >
> > Or should I take the spinning class with the hot, sweaty, spandex clad
> > chicks that is held a bit later on the same day? Or I could take the
> > day off and use the time to repaint my living room.
>
> Go see the hot, sweaty chicks. They are, after all, hot and sweaty
> Do not repaint your living room. You are a man, and therefore, do not
> notice such things.

I dunno ab out that last part... after all, he DID have to ask about
the "old skinny lady vs. hot sweaty chicks" thing...

theoriginaldimi

Oct 17, 2006, 10:54:11 AM10/17/06

Shuurai schreef:

The skinny old lady could be MILF material, I've yet to check that out.
Just because she has a lot of miles on her doesn't mean that she didn't
have the necessary maintenance.

Dimitri

Shuurai

Oct 17, 2006, 11:05:37 AM10/17/06

It doesn't matter - multiple hot sweaty spandex-clad spinning-class
chicks easily trump any MILF you can find, when you know she's a
tai-chee teacher, and therefore a hippy.

You might as well just paint the living room at this point.

theoriginaldimi

Oct 17, 2006, 11:12:11 AM10/17/06

Shuurai schreef:

I'll make my wife paint the living room. After all i'm happy with the
current colours, and I painted it less then 3 years ago anyways.

Shuurai

Oct 17, 2006, 12:54:15 PM10/17/06

> > It doesn't matter - multiple hot sweaty spandex-clad spinning-class
> > chicks easily trump any MILF you can find, when you know she's a
> > tai-chee teacher, and therefore a hippy.
> >
> > You might as well just paint the living room at this point.
>
> I'll make my wife paint the living room. After all i'm happy with the
> current colours, and I painted it less then 3 years ago anyways.

Better yet, find the most god awful color you can - not something
that's obviously intended to be wrong like black or anything like that
- but something that is *close* to something you think she'd find
acceptable but at the same time truly vile. Some kind of Lovecraftian
orange-on-green color that makes you want to pull your eyes out to
avoid having to look at it any longer, that clashes with every bit of
furniture and every shred of good taste in her soul.

Paint the room that color. She'll never ask you to paint a room again.

Herbert Cannon

Oct 17, 2006, 2:18:25 PM10/17/06

> Paint the room that color. She'll never ask you to paint a room again.

You may not be able to paint a room again.

Shuurai

Oct 17, 2006, 3:16:25 PM10/17/06

Herbert Cannon wrote:

> > Paint the room that color. She'll never ask you to paint a room again.
>
> You may not be able to paint a room again.

A risk worth taking my friend.

ordo...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2006, 3:44:54 PM10/17/06

theoriginaldimi wrote:

> Classes are once per week only, at 10h00 in the morning on a Tuesday
> IIRC. The students must be people that have little else to do during
> the day. According to the gym owner they are "a bunch of elderly and
> unemployed" (his words, not mine, as I didn't see these particular
> athletes in action yet). Apparently the instructor is a 50-something
> year old skinny lady.

Law requires judgements, judgements require morality, morality requires
ownership. Sounds like his assessement is about spot on. Buncha
deadbeats, losers, lowlifes, flakes, who's personal lives are
trainwrecks or plain old, elderly who waited too long to start being
interested in healing (and dont have a memory left to remember the
moves to learn the form on their own). The point of prevenetive
medicine isnt that its to prevent not cure?

> Now I have been more then a little sceptic about the martial
> application of Tai Chi. It doesn't look like fighting to me, and I've
> been told that I can't judge it before I have "felt" it.

Bullshit. This is a oral legend passed on for only a little before the
19th century. Taiji is a FLASH OUT OF THE BLUE that tryed/trys to
invent a new way of doing things which no prior basis on anything but
some myth of chang seng feng. There are three reliable sources that
knew yang cheng fu (who was a fat slob who barely made it ot 50) and
claimed that taiji only had 3 moves back then. Additional moves were
added from HARD STYLES of martial arts or other qigong. Then a new set
of principles were invented to isolate taiji from other qigong and
forms. Many of which are piecemealed from other principles from
various schools of thought. Have you seen the doo taiji or mew hing
taiji or the emei mountain white tiger (not the doo family or mew hing
form) taiji? Weird. But, this may be a relic of 'before the flash out
of the blue' bs that is taiji. Politics and opinions and favortisim
and sketchy history aside what you and anyone should know is this:

THERE IS NO CONNECTION BETWEEN TAIJI AND APPLICATION.

Anyone that suggests otherwise is a charlatain and fraud. Plain and
simple. This would be someone trying to suggest that fajing is
kinematics or some nonesense about bones and joints and alignment.
Most of the theorys expounded today. Even of chinese based so called
"chinese masters". In the past few years we have seen new styles that
no one heard about pop up and suddenly gain name recognition like they
were around for 5 trillion years. The guy that invented the taiji
qigong (taiji is not qigong another lie or misrepresentation) AKA
shibashi never intended or suggested that shibashi was around for 5
trillion years. Its just a combination of exercises with a straight
forward haygung breathing pattern.

If you learn one thing from TCM and chinese folklore, ayurveda, ect.
You learn that the ancients weather they were space aliens, faries,
devas, immortals, ghosts or the spirits of dead ancestors or some
scholar or king, knew a WHOLE FUCKING LOT about the function of the
"internal organs" but, apparently, didnt know JACK FUCKING SHIT about
human anatomy and physiology. This contradiction EXISTS FOR A FUCKING
REASON. If you want to base your ideas on A&P become a fucking general
practitioner of western medicine. Leave a the folklore, chinese black
magic, shamanism, feng shui, TCM, herbs and magic potions and secret
hand signs to the people that are preordained by heaven to be the
capstones of those systems. There are just some things which are
inseperable from chinese culture that are inseperable from qigong,
herbs, feng shui, weiqi, calligraphy, ect. To try and modernize them
with asinine theorys of empirical "science" and physiological facts is
pure and utter nonesense. The chinese liver is not the western liver.
The "pores", "skin" and "joints" are not even the same thing as spoken
of in human anatomy and physiology. A typical chinese medicine school
curriculum takes 3 years. 2 years of TCM and 1 full year of A&P AT THE
END of the 2 years of TCM with a full 3 years or whatever the
requirement is for student clinic hours. There is a reason A&P COMES
AT THE END. Learn it, know it and know that A&P is not even nessessary
for understanding and application of any "eastern" system of healing,
energy work, metaphysics, ect. Most people know of the aribtrary
indo-europeon chakra system. But kundalini yoga also teaches the
polarity chakra or hridaya (of the palms) the arcline and the 8th
chakra. Notice how little you see out there on these things and the
other extra chakras. Because people are basically like taiji and the
daodejing just copying and translating and regurgitating the same thing
over and over and over (where have we seent his before? hello
christianity).

The 8th chakra is the sum total of all of the other chakras which are
actually also layers of beingness, layers of the onion of the human
unit which is clearly stated to NOT be JUST PHYSICAL organs not just
FEELINGS and not just EMOTIONS. Where A&P and empirical science and
physics (trancendental physics starts where physics ends) end, "this
stuff" starts. Why on earth would someone suggest that have some
secrets that came from years of practice, direct experience and one on
one instruction that undermines the very structure of what im alluding
to? The contradiction is there for a reason. To filter out the
bullshitters from people with real comprehension.

You treat the root, which isnt the same as saying "cause and effect".
The physical body is the effect. Its a moot point. Its not daoism,
its not buddhism, its not zen, its dualistic realism. The "hierarchy
of values" starts at the immaterial (brahma or ether) and cycles down
to matter which is stasis (even newton said matter is a statis). You
dont use matter or movement or activity to change matter.
a+a+a+a+a+a+a is not math. Thats not even a rational thought process.
Tilopa said the root of all disease is the mind. Well your "mind" is
more than a body, more than feelings, and more than emotions. If you
havent realised that than forget any of this and take up a real sport
or exercise routine.

Taiji and shaolin has nothing to do with metaphysics or spirituality.
Get fucking real. The only thing less spiritual or abstract is
medicine and in that context pharmacology. This issue of pharmacists
not wanting to give out an abortion pill because of religous beliefs.
Puhlease. Get a real fucking job then because there is really no other
profession that is LESS spirtual that handing out drugs. Ethics states
that its not even your business what or who someone is taking. Just
fill the bottle, press the buttons. You want to practice spirtuality
do it in a temple or go to college and take metaphysics.

Lets not confuse the issue. The body is an effect. Its the last stage
in the layers (. Mental body, desire body (astral body), emotional
body, ect. These are layers corresponding to chakras. These sum to a
complete being not just a chunk of meat. Why the fuck would anyone
even imply that the basis of internal or abstract anything is movement,
the physical body, matter and activity? Its seriously so ubsurd that
only someone mentally ill or profoundly stupid could even think that
this is possible. The influence of zen on taoist meditation led to
this silly nonsense of taiji (just to use one example). It trys to say
that embracing the void includes everything and everything is okay
because we are using different words to describe the same thing which
is something that you cant concieve in words but only feel (which is
absolutely nothing the opposite of knowlege, experience even perception
and understanding).

Helloooo, bullshit. Clue oneself into a subtle clue about what is
being equivocated upon here. The 2nd chakra. The so called lotus.
The source of this "void" in many peoples mind. Well one of the
manifestations of this chakra is psychometry. The ability to feel
impressions through touch. You feel bad energy as bad energy. You
feel pain as pain. Not as pain but you feel the pain. This is not the
same as other types of paranormal experience. In fact its quite low on
the scale as you can see. Someone may have accidentally discovered how
to feel energy or feel someones intention and counter it but
psychometry only works THROUGH TOUCH not projection. Not through
space. Not across a room or even 2 inches away. You have to TOUCH the
object. Why would anyone mentate on this as the end all be all of
paranormal manifestation when its merely just a childish siddhi which
traps someone from going beyond the lower three chakras.

No one stuck on the lower three can attain any 'spiritual' gain of any
kind. The top three replace the bottom three. The bridge between
those is the antakarana. The lower triad is nothing. Its a jedi mind
parlor trick. Nothing else. Anyone suggesting they have this
mysterious secetpower that you cant see or feel or talk about or learn
about or explain or talk around or give useful hints or leadings to or
at least, say what it ISNT so you can narrow things down. Its probably
bullshitting you. If you want to learn psychometry and apply it to
push hands. Go right a head. But push hands isnt taiji. Anyone can
break the perameters of push hands, chi sao or hara gei or whatever
jedi mind trick nonsense and overwhelm their opponent. Shock, horror,
that violates principles. Shock, principle based martial arts are
bullshit. You cant base a martial art that says you can do anything on
principles which exclude doing everything in the first place.

You have a law, then judgements which create perceptions. Those
perceptions lead to moral tissue, those integrations of principles lead
to ownership or manifestation at the physical level. If you go
backward, it starts with the mind. You change your life by changing
your thoughts (and energy). Not by doing silly movements. Movement is
not action.

The first chakra or layer of human beingness (not human doingness) is
not even starting with the physical body. Look up any chart or schema
online and notice that the physical body is not even any 1st level.
Its not a issue. The mockup of the physical body is the domain of the
2nd chakra. Not the physical body. Without this etherial mockup there
is no blueprint for non-aggregate lifeform to ever take shape in the
physical world. Perscribing drugs or surgury isnt healing. Blunting
or treating symptoms isnt healing. It doesnt treat the root. The root
is non-physical.

You dont look at structure for function. You look at structure as
manifestation of function. The function of the zangfu organs only
aribitrarily sympathise (we dont really even say associate) with the
physical organs, muscles, tissue, skin. The functions are sympathetic,
barely. Thats it. Its just the basic idea you need to use as a basis
for theory plus practice.

You can tell how a guy talks and acts and answeres questions if he
really knows. You can read a mans shadow, his aura, or any other of
the skills of diagnosis most real tcm doctors know (but dont
advertise). If you have a guy thats all mechanical (which is a very
profound insult if you havent realised) and trys to act like he has
some super secret mysterious knowlege that you cant read about or see
is probably one of those guys that thinks they can have a staring
contest with a book and intimidate the information into their brain
cells. This is karate kid hollywood bullshit sillyness.

> Should I take on day off work and go over there to challenge the
> teacher and to "feel" the real inner strength of Tai Chi?

That will offset the balance of the tao.

> Or should I take the spinning class with the hot, sweaty, spandex clad
> chicks that is held a bit later on the same day? Or I could take the
> day off and use the time to repaint my living room.
>
> So many choices, so little time!
>
> Dimitri

Join the class and play along and practice not laughing uproariously in
the teachers face as he starts to spew out various bullshit on subjects
he thinks he's knowlegable in and try to play to his sense of
narcissistic vanity and ego by giving him face, compliment him and
flatter him, the most profound method of manipulation. Act like
everything he says is profound. Then when your tired of the ruse start
to nail him down on his actual value system.

ordo...@gmail.com

Mark Goldberg

Oct 17, 2006, 6:29:54 PM10/17/06
theoriginaldimi wrote:

> Should I take on day off work and go over there to challenge the
> teacher and to "feel" the real inner strength of Tai Chi?
>
> Or should I take the spinning class with the hot, sweaty, spandex clad
> chicks that is held a bit later on the same day? Or I could take the
> day off and use the time to repaint my living room.
>
> So many choices, so little time!

Since your married.... I'd go with the paint job.
A man's got to know his limitations :^))

Mark

theoriginaldimi

Oct 18, 2006, 3:09:22 AM10/18/06

Shuurai schreef:

If only I would be allowed to choose a colour, that would ease my pain.

theoriginaldimi

Oct 18, 2006, 8:59:37 AM10/18/06

Mark Goldberg schreef:

Since I'm married the choice is purely theorretical off course ;-) It
will probably come down to a combination of painting + babysitting
(although it's probably called "caring for" instead of "babysitting" if
it involves ones own kid).

Still, I could go to the Tai Chi thingie. I have some holidays left and
I wont be transferring them to 2007. I'm a bit scared though, it's a
hardwood floor and I've heard they have gloves nor rules there...

Dimitri

Badger North

Oct 18, 2006, 10:41:49 AM10/18/06

theoriginaldimi wrote:

> Since I'm married the choice is purely theorretical off course ;-)

I have so much more time on my hands now that I don't have to make
decisions or have an opinion :-)

Badger "Yes Dear" North
www.youngforest.ca

Mark Goldberg

Oct 19, 2006, 10:14:13 PM10/19/06
theoriginaldimi wrote:
....I'm a bit scared though, it's a

> hardwood floor and I've heard they have gloves nor rules there...
>
> Dimitri

I predict you will have a satisfactory comfort zone...:^)

Mark