8th BJC Norwich

Mr Aardvark

Apr 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/24/95

8th BJC

Having set off on the Thursday morning bright and early...our
group arrived on site around 3 o clock....thankfully our car had
a trailer tent...so we had to drive onto the camping area, the
others behind us werent so lucky and had to carry their stuff over
from the car park. The first thing that hit you about the school
was the size. This was no ordinary school. It was huge. A quick
scout of the area after registration soon enabled us to find the beer
tent and also the two circus tents situated nearby. Even the weather
was good. Special mention should goto the blue portaloos dotted around the
campsite, the combination of dark colour and pungent aroma added to the
overall atmosphere of the convention :)

One major disappointment was the lack of good old fashioned burgers, bacon
sandwiches, and generally anything which had any amount of meat in it.
While I am sure vegetarians are very happy with this arrangement, the
group of people who i was with...and about 500 others would have appreciated
something which was vaguely meat orientated, and no the white van doesnt
count because everything he sold was covered in cocunut milk.

Anyway ...hopefully you have an idea of what the campsite was like so onto
the shows. First up was the cabaret by Norwich Circus School and it
was quite good, espacially the compere Will. One disturbing trend I have
noticed is the amount of heckling that goes on at conventions. Now I
heckle more than most people, but usually only in the renegade tents
or at the compere. Heckling an act when he is trying his or her best
to perform is not funny and not helpful. These people are trying to
perform not respond to jibes, witty comments or insults. At the
renegade then fair enough heckle away but at other times keep your comments
to yourselves...or whisper to your friends.

There was some nice clowning and juggling acts..and everyone was pretty
merry. The renegade show later on was the best part with a number of people
performing some good acts....but to be honest i cant remember much of what
happened because it all seems to be a blur....Some of the highlights
were
(these are for all the renegade shows..)

PeeWee for compereing in the No Fit State Tent all the time and for
being rendered unable to speak everytime Clare made a comment in that
delightful accent of hers.

Andy Premadus for managing the double and triple suicide, plus keeping
two diablos going by throwing one in the air and doing a sun with the
other before catching the airborne one and swopping them over

Michel for his 5 club backcrosses and also his work on the five ball cascade
for Jon's steal :)

PeeWee for managing to spin a ball on the corner of the raybans he
was wearing.

Skate Naked for well being Skate Naked :)

The lighting guy, who switched hte lights off and changed the colours
everytime someone made a snide remark...also for Andy P for keeping two
diablos going when he switched off the lights in response to a jibe.

Loads of other acts who impressed us.

I cant be bothered to write anymore at the moment...A certain amount of
apathy has crept into my bones. But I will write some stuff about hte
public show and Spectral FX later on

phil