BJC12 Durham.

mini

Apr 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/11/99
A Huge thanks to everyone who turned up..

although I did not get to see most of what was going on (as other
organisers will vouch, the word busy was coined after watching
juggling convention organisers at work) The generale vibe was
fantastic. i personally do not think i could feel better right now.
my life feels just about complete

Mini Mansell , Long life, Good sex and Prosperity.

My Homepage http://homepages.enterprise.net/mini
Durham Juggling Convention http://homepages.enterprise.net/mini/
Email the Durham Convention durham.c...@bigfoot.com
Email BJC12 1999 bj...@bigfoot.com

Bill Cook

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
On Sun, 11 Apr 1999 18:53:36 GMT, mi...@juggler.net (mini) wrote:

>A Huge thanks to everyone who turned up..
>
>although I did not get to see most of what was going on (as other
>organisers will vouch, the word busy was coined after watching
>juggling convention organisers at work) The generale vibe was
>fantastic. i personally do not think i could feel better right now.
>my life feels just about complete

I've met plenty of convention organisers before and even organised
them myself, but I've never met one before who remained 100 per cent
cheerful despite getting no sleep. What's the secret ?

Sleep for a week - you deserve it !!

BC

Rob Lister

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
Fantastic work, mate. I had a brilliant time, as did everyone I met. I
heard "best convention for years" mentioned on more than a couple of
occasions.......

Cheers,
Rob

Mr A.R.Moran

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
Yeah thanks mini & Nicole
Ermm It was busy wasn't it still I made it into work :-> today
Opps the one bit of renegade I missed was my chance to chuck someone off
stage :< but I would have had to be able to stand up to do that and that
just wasn't possible at 2 on Friday/Saturday.

Just to add to gavins review it was a great great show, the bloke from
Wales was Tim who should have done the bucket on the head bit
--
Mr A.R.Moran
I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people -

Dave Barnes

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
In article <aeT21BAQ...@ljmonks.demon.co.uk>,

"Mr A.R.Moran" <An...@nsljmonks.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Yeah thanks mini & Nicole
> Ermm It was busy wasn't it still I made it into work :-> today

Yes - I'm pretty impressed that I managed it as well. I can't seem to do the
nocturnal thing like all these young people can any more.

> Just to add to gavins review it was a great great show, the bloke from
> Wales was Tim who should have done the bucket on the head bit

I didn't know North London was in Wales. :P

Anyway (the wind blows...), the convention was really good, too much to
remember to mention. I wish I could get Bohemian Rhapsody out of my head
though.

Dave.

Jim Semlyen

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
> Anyway (the wind blows...), the convention was really good, too much to
> remember to mention. I wish I could get Bohemian Rhapsody out of my head
> though.

I've had that problem all day - aaaaahhhh!

Thanks again to the organisers it was a top convention.
I really enjoyed helping with the Fire Show and hope all that
saw it enjoyed it. I was suprised how well it went considering
the club swingers put their bit together in 45 mins and
everything else was sorted out in the next 45 mins. Thanks
to all who swung, span, juggled and breathed the fire and
thanks to Dave from Broli who volunteered to organise a
drumming group with an hour or twos notice.

So there was a car on fire was there - I assumed the organisers
had got the Fire Brigade a long to keep the venue happy.

Jim

Cosmos Jugglers web site:

http://www.semlyen.demon.co.uk

mini

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99

->So there was a car on fire was there - I assumed the organisers
->had got the Fire Brigade a long to keep the venue happy.
->
->Jim
->

Rumours

no car. the local Kids had seem the posters advertising the fire show
start at 9pm and as is their want decided to try to ruin it for others
by starting a fire on the opposite bank of the river behind the
festival site. it was on dry scrub grass and burnt itself out in about
15 minutes.. the fire brigade was called by myself as i was sprinting
across the field screaming fire on site into my radio back to base.

the fire flared up HUGE for the first minute or so.. and was very
visible.. but as mentioned above. died away just as fast.

Paul Cookson

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
well done it was a great convention and a real thank you for all your
efforts!!!!!!!!

Keith Sharp

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
mi...@juggler.net (mini) writes:

> A Huge thanks to everyone who turned up..
>
> although I did not get to see most of what was going on (as other
> organisers will vouch, the word busy was coined after watching
> juggling convention organisers at work) The generale vibe was
> fantastic. i personally do not think i could feel better right now.
> my life feels just about complete

Well Mini, you missed an excellent convention :-)

Congrats to yourself and all the others involved - I had a great time.

Keith.

Chris Dunlop

Apr 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/13/99
Keith Sharp wrote:

> Congrats to yourself and all the others involved - I had a great time.

It was a very enjoyable event. What was the final headcount? My guess
is 700. It was noticably smaller than recent BJC's. In the event it
made for a very comfortable convention. The (very nice) gym
was usually full of activity, but never overcrowded, and there was room
for most people who wanted to see the Renegade and the Circus Space /
Circomedia show in the No Fit State big top.

Have any particular groups of people stopped coming to conventions in
significant numbers. I got the impression that there were fewer
New Age types there this year. Also I thought that the average age of
the jugglers had gone up - I thought there were fewer teens and young
twenties around - not so good for the future of juggling if that's the
case. But perhaps (since I'm getting older) I'd just gone to bed before
they all got up!

Highlights of the convention for me were seeing the Gandinis again, a
good fireshow, and finally making some decent progress with 4 clubs.

Chris Dunlop - Management Information Systems
University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ
c.du...@uea.ac.uk

Keith Sharp

Apr 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/13/99
Chris Dunlop <C.Du...@uea.ac.uk> writes:

> Keith Sharp wrote:
>
> > Congrats to yourself and all the others involved - I had a great time.
>
> It was a very enjoyable event. What was the final headcount? My guess
> is 700. It was noticably smaller than recent BJC's. In the event it
> made for a very comfortable convention. The (very nice) gym
> was usually full of activity, but never overcrowded, and there was room
> for most people who wanted to see the Renegade and the Circus Space /
> Circomedia show in the No Fit State big top.

At the business meeting the people (sorry I don't know your names) who
ran the registration desk said that they reckoned on about 600 - 650
people actually paid. At other conventions and festivals such as
Glastonbury you tend to get a significant number of people who don't
pay - I have heard figures of up to 20% of attendees.

I know that the organisers of the BJC and EJC in Edinburgh were quite
keen to clamp down on this to help balance their books, but this
generated lots of complaints about Security staff, pass checking, and
the style of passes.

> Have any particular groups of people stopped coming to conventions in
> significant numbers. I got the impression that there were fewer
> New Age types there this year. Also I thought that the average age of
> the jugglers had gone up - I thought there were fewer teens and young
> twenties around - not so good for the future of juggling if that's the
> case. But perhaps (since I'm getting older) I'd just gone to bed before
> they all got up!

Also at the business meeting there was a lot of discussion about the
lack of communication in the British Juggling scene - especially now
that the Catch has all but stopped publishing and that the number of
Juggling shops is diminishing.

A couple of positive things were mentioned:

- The New Circus Initiative in Scotland which has a newsletter and is
planning on restarting the Scottish Juggling Conventions. Email
N...@jamessoper.demon.co.uk for more info.

- Some of the Bristol people seemed to be on the verge of starting
something similar, but different :-)

- Someone (another name I don't remember) was offering to write a
newsletter of some kind. Hopefully someone else will have more
details of this and post them here.

> Highlights of the convention for me were seeing the Gandinis again, a
> good fireshow, and finally making some decent progress with 4 clubs.

I arrived as the fire show finished, the Gandinis aren't really my
thing, and I only juggled for about an hour all weekend. Why do I go
to Juggling conventions - Oh that's right, the beer tent and renegade :-)

Keith.