IJDb Shutting Down

Colin E.

Apr 5, 2012, 3:21:07 AM4/5/12
Dear IJDb Members, rec.jugglers, and friends,

The IJDb has been live for 11 long and happy years. But now, I am sorry to
say, the time has come to shut it down. This site has been a labour of
love for myself and many contributors (who are too numerous to name, you
know who you are), however, for the past five years it has received very
little (technical) attention. As a result, parts of the site are in a bit
of a bad way (perhaps not visibly or externally, but trust me, it is an
accident waiting to happen). I have made the occasional request for
assistance, but nothing has really come of it. Personally, I am not upset
about this at all, my preference is that someone creates something
innovative and new, rather than adopting my work. This is much more likely
to result in a new site that will last for many years, rather than
allowing this one to just plod along for a few more years.

I hope you all understand that I am not doing this out of spite or
frustration. It is just my wish that the site is shut down on my terms,
whilst it is still something worth remembering, not slowly left to rot
(just like the site that the IJDb superseded).

I plan to shut down this site at some point soon. And after this, the
sourcecode and data will be made available for anyone to use under a
suitable open source licence (all email addresses and personal data will
be removed).

I sincerely hope people understand why this is happening and that the IJDb
will be replaced by another (or many other) new websites.

Regards, Colin E.

Scott Seltzer

Apr 5, 2012, 3:54:35 AM4/5/12
First, I confirm that this is from the real webmaster and not a hack or
April Fools prank.

It's a very sad day for the online juggling community and I hope that much
of it will be salvaged quickly.

Thanks, Colin, for a great 11 years. You are a real hero of the juggling
community.

-Scott

emilyw

Apr 5, 2012, 4:13:08 AM4/5/12
Colin E. wrote:

> Dear IJDb Members, rec.jugglers, and friends,
>
> The IJDb has been live for 11 long and happy years. But now, I am sorry to
> say, the time has come to shut it down.

Thanks Colin, for all your efforts in putting together the IJDb,
maintaining it and managing its sad decline as gracefully as reasonably
possible. Extra thanks for the other folks behind the scenes who helped
look after things.

I hope plenty of the rec.juggling regulars who currently read through IJDb
will grab a news client and an eternal-september account and continue
reading and contributing to rec.juggling. As a linux user I can't
recommend a news client, can someone else help here?

A couple of Juggling Edge invites while I'm at it:

http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=1CiQbsvvK7
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=zJjQ5SwIxD

Oh and finally a big !*$!! to the spammers, scammers and hackers who make
it unreasonably difficult to run any public facing service on the
internet, and especially difficult to run anything as a volunteer effort.
These shitweasels seem to try their hardest to ruin everything for
everybody.

Emily

Colin E.

Apr 5, 2012, 4:42:15 AM4/5/12
Scott Seltzer wrote:

> First, I confirm that this is from the real webmaster and not a hack or
> April Fools prank.

Thanks Scott. And also, thanks for being that person who I bounced around
so many ideas with over ICQ all those years ago when the IJDb first began.

> It's a very sad day for the online juggling community and I hope that much
> of it will be salvaged quickly.

Is it a sad day? Let's look a the positives. The IJDb is not going to be
the next JIS. Having the site go offline will hopefully be the stimulus
required to build something new.

I have a few ideas that I will share shortly (once I have stopped blubbing
into my keyboard ;-)

> Thanks, Colin, for a great 11 years. You are a real hero of the juggling
> community.

You are more than welcome. The way I see it, the IJDb was a happy
coincidence. A project that I greatly enjoyed working on that also
happened to be useful to the wider juggling community.

Colin E.

Dylan

Apr 5, 2012, 4:47:36 AM4/5/12
Thanks for keeping this site running as long as you did Colin, even though
I was only around towards to the end of it I've enjoyed reading older
posts and it's great having a place where everyone comes together.

One question though,
would it be possible to keep this site up just as an archive of it's older
posts? Like you could shut down the posting part but leave it viewable as
an archive?
I don't know the exact details or how hard this would be to do, but there
is a huge amount of great information on this site (throughout previous
topics and posts) and I'd still use it just for that if this could work.

Thank you again Colin.

Dylan

Colin E.

Apr 5, 2012, 5:06:17 AM4/5/12
Dylan wrote:

> Thanks for keeping this site running as long as you did Colin, even though
> I was only around towards to the end of it I've enjoyed reading older
> posts and it's great having a place where everyone comes together.

You're welcome :-)

> One question though,
> would it be possible to keep this site up just as an archive of it's older
> posts?

OK, time for a very quick brain-dump of where I see the IJDb data going in
the short-term.

When the site is shutdown, I will make the data open source (under a
suitable licence). Here is what could potentially be done with this data:

IJDb Compendium - Upload to a Wiki
Video Database - This is pretty redundant now, everyone uses YouTube or JTV
FAQ - It's all a bit dated now, perhaps Wiki?
Links - Directories are like so 2000 ;-)
rec.juggling - The Google Groups interface to rec.juggling is OK
(https://groups.google.com/group/rec.juggling/topics?hl=en)
Juggling Chat - This could go anywhere
Records - This is very bespoke, but quite popular. I would love to see
someone adopt this.
Clubs, Events, Vendors - Upload to a Wiki.

For the 'upload to Wiki' tasks, I think any reasonably competent techie
would be able to write some scripts to generate Wiki pages from the MySQL
database, but no, I am not offering! I would however be happy to provide
advice to anyone willing to take on this task.

Colin E.

Colin E.

Apr 5, 2012, 5:13:02 AM4/5/12
emilyw wrote:
> Thanks Colin, for all your efforts in putting together the IJDb,
> maintaining it and managing its sad decline as gracefully as reasonably
> possible. Extra thanks for the other folks behind the scenes who helped
> look after things.

You're welcome. By the way, "The Old Skool - a BJC panel show" sounds
amazing. This, more than anything else, makes me wish I could make the
BJC. I have also been seriously considering trying to make it to Bristol.
I might do Durham this year, but really want to go to one of the festivals
where the 'old timers' hang out.

> I hope plenty of the rec.juggling regulars who currently read through IJDb
> will grab a news client and an eternal-september account and continue
> reading and contributing to rec.juggling. As a linux user I can't
> recommend a news client, can someone else help here?

I'd recommend Google Groups to the masses:

https://groups.google.com/group/rec.juggling/topics?hl=en

> Oh and finally a big !*$!! to the spammers, scammers and hackers who make
> it unreasonably difficult to run any public facing service on the
> internet, and especially difficult to run anything as a volunteer effort.
> These shitweasels seem to try their hardest to ruin everything for
> everybody.

To be honest, I should have done my homework. Although in my defence, 10
years ago the internet was a smaller and more friendly place.

Anyhow, the spamming / hacking is only part of the problem. I have felt
for along time that the IJDb has been past its prime and the time had
come to move on.

Colin E.

emilyw

Apr 5, 2012, 5:16:06 AM4/5/12
Colin E. wrote:

> Clubs, Events, Vendors - Upload to a Wiki.

Or sling the data over to Orin who has a properly designed place to put
that stuff. Well, he does for the first two things, anyway.

His approach to spam protection is one up on wikis as well.

I have a feeling that without the traffic light mechanism for keeping
things up to date, wiki based club data would rot quickly and become a
waste of space.

Plus, once you remove it from a database and make it freeform, it will be
a ton of work to clean it up to go back in a database in order to support
simple stuff like an event calendar or a club map.

Emily.

Will S

Apr 5, 2012, 5:27:14 AM4/5/12
Hi Colin,

Many thanks for all your efforts over the years. I'd also like to thank
you on behalf of all the lurkers here - of which I know there are many.

Will / hexagonic

david

Apr 5, 2012, 5:37:12 AM4/5/12
Colin E. wrote:

> Dear IJDb Members, rec.jugglers, and friends,
>
> The IJDb has been live for 11 long and happy years. But now, I am sorry to
> say, the time has come to shut it down.
[snip]
> I sincerely hope people understand why this is happening and that the IJDb
> will be replaced by another (or many other) new websites.
>
> Regards, Colin E.

Thanks Colin for all your good works.

david

Little Paul

Apr 5, 2012, 5:42:01 AM4/5/12
On 2012-04-05, emilyw <ij...@blueumbrella.net.nospam.com> wrote:
> Colin E. wrote:
>
>> Clubs, Events, Vendors - Upload to a Wiki.
>
> Or sling the data over to Orin who has a properly designed place to put
> that stuff. Well, he does for the first two things, anyway.

Not wanting to speak for Orin, but he's already thinking along those
lines. The Vendors data could probably be handled in a similar way
to the Clubs data, so extending The Edge to handle vendors may be possible.

> I have a feeling that without the traffic light mechanism for keeping
> things up to date, wiki based club data would rot quickly and become a
> waste of space.

This.

Orin already has a traffic light system in place (and a few more cool toys
around mapping etc) so I think that's a better way forward than a wiki.

> Plus, once you remove it from a database and make it freeform, it will be
> a ton of work to clean it up to go back in a database in order to support
> simple stuff like an event calendar or a club map.

Yup!

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

Little Paul

Apr 5, 2012, 5:48:57 AM4/5/12
On 2012-04-05, emilyw <ij...@blueumbrella.net.nospam.com> wrote:

> I hope plenty of the rec.juggling regulars who currently read through IJDb
> will grab a news client and an eternal-september account and continue
> reading and contributing to rec.juggling. As a linux user I can't
> recommend a news client, can someone else help here?

The Google groups interface has been cleaned up a lot recently, and is now
somewhat better than it used to be. They seem to have put a bit of effort
in reducing it's spam problem as well and it's now fairly clean.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?#!forum/rec.juggling

For windows users, I think Opera or Thunderbird are probably your best bets
as a newsreader, but IJDb users may find the google interface easier to use.

> http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=1CiQbsvvK7
> http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=zJjQ5SwIxD

Or fill in http://www.jugglingedge.com/contact.php and make Orinoco smile :)

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

Colin E.

Apr 5, 2012, 5:49:19 AM4/5/12
Little Paul wrote:

> On 2012-04-05, emilyw <ij...@blueumbrella.net.nospam.com> wrote:
> > Colin E. wrote:
> >
> >> Clubs, Events, Vendors - Upload to a Wiki.
> >
> > Or sling the data over to Orin who has a properly designed place to put
> > that stuff. Well, he does for the first two things, anyway.
>
> Not wanting to speak for Orin, but he's already thinking along those
> lines. The Vendors data could probably be handled in a similar way
> to the Clubs data, so extending The Edge to handle vendors may be possible.

I am really happy to hear this. Hopefully the IJDb stepping aside will
give The Edge the space it needs to grow.

The best of luck to Orin.

One quick comment, The Edge could really do with a sprinkling of graphics
/ design ;-) I'm hardly a graphic artist, but do understand the need to
make something visually appealing in order to draw in the crowds!

Colin E.

Varkor

Apr 5, 2012, 5:49:23 AM4/5/12
You've done a brilliant job with the IJDb and we all very much appreciate all the effort that's gone into it. Thank you for keeping it running as long as you did!

Little Paul

Apr 5, 2012, 5:54:51 AM4/5/12
On 2012-04-05, Colin E. <webm...@jugglingdb.com.nospam.com> wrote:
> Scott Seltzer wrote:
>>
>> First, I confirm that this is from the real webmaster and not a hack or
>> April Fools prank.
>
> Thanks Scott. And also, thanks for being that person who I bounced around
> so many ideas with over ICQ all those years ago when the IJDb first began.

Thanks to both of you! Without either of you I'm not sure we'd have had the
11 glorious years we have, and we'd still be relying on the JIS to tell us
where to juggle.

>> It's a very sad day for the online juggling community and I hope that much
>> of it will be salvaged quickly.
>
> Is it a sad day? Let's look a the positives. The IJDb is not going to be
> the next JIS. Having the site go offline will hopefully be the stimulus
> required to build something new.

This!

I'd like to look at this as an opportunity. One door closes, and another one
is gradually nudged open. Remember why the IJDb was built in the first place,
it's time to rebuild and refocus again.

>> Thanks, Colin, for a great 11 years. You are a real hero of the juggling
>> community.

This. In spades.

> You are more than welcome. The way I see it, the IJDb was a happy
> coincidence. A project that I greatly enjoyed working on that also
> happened to be useful to the wider juggling community.

And what a happy coincidence it's been! Lets hope that the next phase of
internet juggling is as happy.

Well done Colin (and everyone else involved) - you're all bloody marvelous
you are. I'm off to the pub at lunchtime, and I'll be raising the first of
many glasses to the IJDb and all who sailed in her.

Especially Lion Juggler.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

Little Paul

Apr 5, 2012, 6:04:39 AM4/5/12
On 2012-04-05, Dylan <n3rdy...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:

> would it be possible to keep this site up just as an archive of it's older
> posts? Like you could shut down the posting part but leave it viewable as
> an archive?

Good news and bad news on that:

Bad news - we've looked into that and it's not quite as easy as just turning
off posting, or dumping a static copy.

Good news - there is some interesting conversation happening behind the scenes
which means that much of the content should be rescuable and rehostable
elsewhere. It won't look like the IJDb, it might not even all end up in the
same place, but the information stands a good chance of living on.

However - just because discussions are happening, it doesn't mean it's too
late for anyone with a big idea to get involved!

If anyone reading this wants to get their hands on the data and do something
cool with it - please just dive in and do so!

> I don't know the exact details or how hard this would be to do, but there
> is a huge amount of great information on this site (throughout previous
> topics and posts) and I'd still use it just for that if this could work.

I'm very interested in making an attempt at keeping the rec.juggling archive
maintained - even if that means it goes without a user interface for time
while we work out what the next step is.

> Thank you again Colin.

*applauds*

Would anyone be interested in writing the history of the biggest and most
popular webside on the internet for the IJA eZine? It deserves a good send
off in as public a way as we can manage.

The IJDb was an important part of the juggling scene for 11 years. We can't
let it go into the night without a stonking great party first!

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

Jon Peat

Apr 5, 2012, 7:28:55 AM4/5/12
Thank you Colin and Team!
The IJDB has been a massive help to me over the years and I'll really miss
it.
Here's to the future, Jon

pumpkineater23

Apr 5, 2012, 7:43:27 AM4/5/12
Thank you Colin. It's so very cool of you to have kept it chugging along
for as long as you have. I've only been using it for a few years but I
feel very lucky to have found it. It's a genuine piece of juggling history.

pete

Miika

Apr 5, 2012, 9:14:51 AM4/5/12
Thank you. Without the IJDb my life would not be what it is today. In a
good way (at least I think). Well anyway, I have enjoyed the site very
much :-)

-Miika

--
siteswaps of the day: 11111111 , 11111111 , 111111111

joeschmoe7

Apr 5, 2012, 9:42:46 AM4/5/12
Dear Colin E.
What makes you think you have the right to shut down juggling? Wait,
sorry,
I should have read more carefully, it's just recreational juggling you
want to shut down, no problem, just as long as you don't try to shut down
sport juggling, in america, or dash our hopes to get juggling association
politics
made an olympic sport.----

Oh scratch it, I don't have the time to take my half-baked idea of a
satirical post touching on all the many issues peripheral to juggling
which have shown up in r.j and hence ijdb and yet failed to bring down the
positive wonderful world and community that juggling is. Thanks for
providing this wonderful service that has been so important to us all!
And a very happy day after shutdown to you! Take a load off! Cheers!

Peter

Guillermo Conde

Apr 5, 2012, 10:19:36 AM4/5/12
What all the others said!

The IJDb has been my main and favourite website since I discovered it,
more than five years ago. Alas, even if we will be able to keep reading
rec.juggling through Google Groups, it won't be same. I understand,
however, that you don't have as much time, energy or motivation anymore to
keep running the IJDb, so we can't ask you to do even more than you
already have. Time for someone to stand in, I guess.

As an historian, I would gladly listen to Little Paul's idea and undertake
the writing of The History of the IJDb. I am, unfortunately, a bit
stressed at the moment getting a Master's Degree, so, if nobody does it
before, I could give it a go in the future.

If we ever meet at a convention, please remind me that I owe you a beer
for all you have done! :D

TABjuggler

Apr 5, 2012, 10:28:06 AM4/5/12
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248967588509043/

Tech Juggling fb group. Lets move this community to fb!

<3

Little Paul

Apr 5, 2012, 10:37:18 AM4/5/12
On 2012-04-05, TABjuggler <tab.j...@gmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:

> https://www.facebook.com/groups/248967588509043/

My what a memorable url! It just trips off the tongue doesn't it :-)

> Tech Juggling fb group. Lets move this community to fb!

I think it's inevitable that some of the community will move to fb, but
it'll do that without me as I have a life not a facebook account ;-)

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

Colin E.

Apr 5, 2012, 10:51:07 AM4/5/12
Little Paul wrote:

> > Tech Juggling fb group. Lets move this community to fb!
>
> I think it's inevitable that some of the community will move to fb, but
> it'll do that without me as I have a life not a facebook account ;-)

My situation is a little different, I have an active life and an inactive
facebook account!

Colin E.

Janion

Apr 5, 2012, 10:52:09 AM4/5/12
Like everyone else said; thanks so much for running this site. It has been
a great hub of discussion and sharing for the juggling community. The site
has allowed me to get help with my juggling for many years.

Also, Nobody has mentioned juggling central as a possible place to move
discussion. Whatever happened to that?

Little Paul

Apr 5, 2012, 11:12:33 AM4/5/12
On 2012-04-05, Janion <ER...@hotmail.co.uk.nospam.com> wrote:

> Also, Nobody has mentioned juggling central as a possible place to move
> discussion. Whatever happened to that?

Very good question!

*checks*

Non-exhaustive list of juggling forums follows:

http://www.jugglingcentral.com/Juggling_Central/Forum.html
The last post seems to be from 1st March 2012, so it's still alive and has
at least some activity.

http://www.jugglinguniverse.net/html/forum/search/view_new/
Tha last post there seems to be from 26th March 2012 (although with all those
sub forums it's a little hard to tell!) so that's still alive with minimal
activity as well.

http://www.juggle.org/forum/
That one has a post from 1st March - not sure how much of an IJA member you
have to be to post these days.

http://juggler.forumotion.com/forum
Made my eyes bleed a little, but the most recent of the three posts on there
is from May last year.

http://www.reddit.com/r/juggling
That one is more active and has had 2 new threads in the last 24 hours.

http://thewjf.com/forums/
These are more active than I was expecting, but the last post was Feb 28th
2012 - so the horse is still twitching.

http://anthonygatto.forumco.com/
No idea. I don't have an account so can't see any of the forum posts.

http://ezine.juggle.org/forums/
Last post was 4 days ago, but there are only 6 posts in total.

http://www.jugglingedge.com/smalltalk.php
Several posts so far today, by far the most active non-rec.juggling board on
this list so far

facebook almost certainly has some active juggling groups, but I can't check.
There are probably simmilar communities on other sites (youtube, twitter etc)
but I'll let someone else check that.

Considering that r.j has had over 30 posts in the last 24 hours. The list of
forums above looks a little lame doesn't it. That sucks.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

It's Him

Apr 5, 2012, 11:19:27 AM4/5/12
Colin E. wrote:

> The end of my home page.

Can I just add to the thanks for you Colin and the many other contributors
who have made IJDB the extremely useful and useable website that it has
been to me.

I think that without IJDB rec.juggling will suffer in a big way unless
someone else includes it in a website and most proposals I know about are
anti-usenet.

I'm looking forward worriedly to see whether the juggling community will
just fall apart or whether they will move on mass to a different site.

thanks again,

Nigel

Varkor

Apr 5, 2012, 11:36:05 AM4/5/12
Although forums provide another place for discussion, I think we still need something to fill the gap for a centralised juggling website, with more than just discussion. And although we won't be able to use the IJDb portal for rec.juggling, I think the Google Groups portal for it works just as well, especially with the recent updates to it.

Madelyn

Apr 5, 2012, 12:40:10 PM4/5/12

Colin E. wrote:

> Dear IJDb Members, rec.jugglers, and friends,
>
> The IJDb has been live for 11 long and happy years. But now, I am sorry to
> say, the time has come to shut it down. ...

Thanks for everything, Colin and everyone else involved with this site. It
has been a valuable resource for me.

Keep juggling!

Madelyn Dinnerstein
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Janion

Apr 5, 2012, 12:57:20 PM4/5/12
Little Paul wrote:

> On 2012-04-05, Janion <ER...@hotmail.co.uk.nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> > Also, Nobody has mentioned juggling central as a possible place to move
> > discussion. Whatever happened to that?
>

> http://anthonygatto.forumco.com/
> No idea. I don't have an account so can't see any of the forum posts.

I just logged on (forgot I had an account). Last post was yesterday and it
seems to be fairly active.
192 new posts since I last visited around 18 months ago.

> Considering that r.j has had over 30 posts in the last 24 hours. The list of
> forums above looks a little lame doesn't it. That sucks.

Like you say, a little lame compared to rec. but better than a lot of the
others around.

ohioohio

Apr 5, 2012, 1:14:13 PM4/5/12
Scott Seltzer wrote:

> Colin E. wrote:
> >
> > Dear IJDb Members, rec.jugglers, and friends,
> >
> > The IJDb has been live for 11 long and happy years. But now, I am sorry to
> > say, the time has come to shut it down. This site has been a labour of
> > love for myself and many contributors (who are too numerous to name, you
> > know who you are), however, for the past five years it has received very
> > little (technical) attention. As a result, parts of the site are in a bit
> > of a bad way (perhaps not visibly or externally, but trust me, it is an
> > accident waiting to happen). I have made the occasional request for
> > assistance, but nothing has really come of it. Personally, I am not upset
> > about this at all, my preference is that someone creates something
> > innovative and new, rather than adopting my work. This is much more likely
> > to result in a new site that will last for many years, rather than
> > allowing this one to just plod along for a few more years.
> >
> > I hope you all understand that I am not doing this out of spite or
> > frustration. It is just my wish that the site is shut down on my terms,
> > whilst it is still something worth remembering, not slowly left to rot
> > (just like the site that the IJDb superseded).
> >
> > I plan to shut down this site at some point soon. And after this, the
> > sourcecode and data will be made available for anyone to use under a
> > suitable open source licence (all email addresses and personal data will
> > be removed).
> >
> > I sincerely hope people understand why this is happening and that the IJDb
> > will be replaced by another (or many other) new websites.
> >
> > Regards, Colin E.
>

> First, I confirm that this is from the real webmaster and not a hack or
> April Fools prank.
>
> It's a very sad day for the online juggling community and I hope that much
> of it will be salvaged quickly.
>
> Thanks, Colin, for a great 11 years. You are a real hero of the juggling
> community.
>
> -Scott

very sad to read this! Personally i visit this forum about 3-4 times a day
even if i write a few posts in my member career because i often find the
answers that i need simply using the search command.

However i think this forum is actually the best source on advanced
information on juggling and it is still the best place where juggling
issues are discussed.

very very sad!

Maurizio

thegoheads

Apr 5, 2012, 3:23:59 PM4/5/12
Hey all, just a friendly reminder to those who used the IJDB to track your
personal records, be sure to copy that info if you want it! I'm glad I
remembered, because I have a lot of hard earned records that I never
committed to memory, and I'd be sad if all the info was suddenly lost.

Bye IJDB! It's been fun!

-Steve

PS I didn't read every message in this thread, so I apologize in advance
if someone already pointed this out or if the record info is all set to
migrate elsewhere rather than disappearing entirely.

PPS Can someone please recommend a way to keep up with rec.juggling that
has a similar portal to the IJDB portal? I've tried a couple newsreaders
and google groups but I want something more like the IJDB portal with the
branched discussion...

PPPS Can someone send me an invite to the juggling edge? I promise to play
nice :) thegoheads AT gmail THANKS!

Kyle Johnson

Apr 5, 2012, 3:40:41 PM4/5/12
Hi everyone as much as it sucks to have this amazing resource leave
us. I have been putting together a calender out of the IJDB list of
events as well as a lot of other sources and made it available at
www.dostuffwiththings.net under the events calender tab. this thing
has all of the spinning and juggling festivals that I know of, that
have upcoming dates, which is a lot, from all around the world. soon
to be made into a huge map.

seducedbycircus

Apr 5, 2012, 3:43:54 PM4/5/12
Just a suggestion for a replacement website for jugglers/spinners/circus
types...

http://www.poiandfriends.com

BTW I tried to ask for an invite to Juggling Edge website and I keep
getting error messages! There is no contact email address that I can see
on the site, and I think it is a bit stupid that you have to be invited to
join the site - so I don't see how this is a suitable replacement for IJDB
- sorry!

ijuggle42

Apr 5, 2012, 3:46:13 PM4/5/12
thegoheads wrote:

> PPPS Can someone send me an invite to the juggling edge? I promise to play
> nice :) thegoheads AT gmail THANKS!

yes, yes me too. The human test keeps giving me email errors and I know
both accounts are good.

ijuggle42 AT yahoo

Thanks, Mike

Orinoco

Apr 5, 2012, 3:59:16 PM4/5/12
Little Paul wrote:

> Not wanting to speak for Orin

Why not? You're doing an excellent job.

(I'll let you know when you go off message)

Jay Linn

Apr 5, 2012, 4:21:19 PM4/5/12
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 16:12:33 +0100, Little Paul <use...@lpbk.net> wrote:

<snip>

> http://www.reddit.com/r/juggling
> That one is more active and has had 2 new threads in the last 24 hours.

I just want to insert a small plug for r/juggling. We've grown from just
under 200 users to over a thousand in the two or three years I've been a
subscriber. Traffic there is definitely low volume, but healthier than all
but r.j and the Edge. Reddit's model is well suited to links and videos
rather than in depth discussion, which is and should remain r.j's province.

Coupled with the multi-subreddit that allows you to easily subscribe to
r/circus, r/fire.*, r/poi, etc. etc. it's beginning to feel like a place
with a purpose in life. It'll never be r.j but I think it's worth a look.

Here endeth the shameless plug.

--
Jay Linn

http://juggler.net/lestival

Jay Linn

Apr 5, 2012, 4:21:26 PM4/5/12
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 20:43:54 +0100, seducedbycircus
<cha...@seducedbycircus.com.nospam.com> wrote:

<snip>

> BTW I tried to ask for an invite to Juggling Edge website and I keep
> getting error messages! There is no contact email address that I can see
> on the site, and I think it is a bit stupid that you have to be invited
> join the site - so I don't see how this is a suitable replacement for
> IJDB

The invitation part is the key anti-spammer measure I think, a bit of a
palaver to go through but you only have to do it once.

Invites as requested :-

http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=Wmg9c8kpym (expires:
2012-06-14)
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=F6tTHbjaWd (expires:
2012-06-14)
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=CWBhDicn24 (expires:
2012-06-14)
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=aVFGIFiDSy (expires:
2012-06-14)
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=w23INplabm (expires:
2012-06-14)
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=YZwI7aYexS (expires:
2012-06-14)
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=nPl4wORgU7 (expires:
2012-06-14)

HTH.

Jay Linn

Apr 5, 2012, 4:21:30 PM4/5/12
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 10:48:57 +0100, Little Paul <use...@lpbk.net> wrote:

<snip>

> For windows users, I think Opera or Thunderbird are probably your best
> bets
> as a newsreader, but IJDb users may find the google interface easier to
> use.

Having just had a week without my preferred rec.juggling portal in Opera,
I ought to let people know that Opera's reader is pretty good, but is a
bitch to set up in the first place, especially when using Eternal
September. It really *is* worth it once you've gone through the first
tortuous steps, and it's as smooth as a baby's arse thereafter, but can be
frustrating.

Anyone struggling to use Opera should mail me or drop a message here and
I'll explain further.

Jay Linn

Apr 5, 2012, 4:21:33 PM4/5/12

Little Paul

Apr 5, 2012, 4:39:42 PM4/5/12
On 2012-04-05, thegoheads <thego...@gmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:

> PPS Can someone please recommend a way to keep up with rec.juggling that
> has a similar portal to the IJDB portal? I've tried a couple newsreaders
> and google groups but I want something more like the IJDB portal with the
> branched discussion...

The closest you'll get at the moment is google groups. It'll take a little
while to adjust, but stick with it.

> PPPS Can someone send me an invite to the juggling edge? I promise to play
> nice :) thegoheads AT gmail THANKS!

Invites! Get your lovely invites!

http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=JBYD0iPWWA
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=6C9lM6hLbt
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=fQtrsRyvu6
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=mRwI5GBorx
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=0M2tEhNoFY

If you already have an Edge account, email some invites to your mates!

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

Colin E.

Apr 5, 2012, 4:47:26 PM4/5/12
thegoheads wrote:

> PPS Can someone please recommend a way to keep up with rec.juggling that
> has a similar portal to the IJDB portal? I've tried a couple newsreaders
> and google groups but I want something more like the IJDB portal with the
> branched discussion...

The code that is used by the rec.juggling portal is here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/headliner/files/

There is nothing stopping someone creating their own website which hosts a
rec.juggling portal, perhaps hooking into OpenID or some other
authentication mechanism.

The IJDb will shut down, but rec.juggling will keep on going.

Colin E.

Tobias

Apr 5, 2012, 5:03:52 PM4/5/12
On 05.04.2012 12:23, thegoheads wrote:
> PPS Can someone please recommend a way to keep up with rec.juggling that
> has a similar portal to the IJDB portal? I've tried a couple newsreaders
> and google groups but I want something more like the IJDB portal with the
> branched discussion...

Thundbird has threading, if that's what you mean by a branched
discussion. You can even read all unread posts using just the space bar,
a lot times. :)

Also:
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=vBcFal5Wrw
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=pXjlLPWr7x
http://www.jugglingedge.com/user.php?InviteID=DoAgEs1CuN
..if there haven't been enough posted so far.

--
Tobias

Aymeric

Apr 5, 2012, 5:54:36 PM4/5/12
Dear IJDb,

The internet will never be the same again without you!!!
Thanks a lot for all these years together here, will miss you!

Aymeric.

Orinoco

Apr 5, 2012, 6:19:30 PM4/5/12
seducedbycircus wrote:

> Just a suggestion for a replacement website for jugglers/spinners/circus
> types...
>
> http://www.poiandfriends.com
>

> BTW I tried to ask for an invite to Juggling Edge website and I keep
> getting error messages! There is no contact email address that I can see
> on the site, and I think it is a bit stupid that you have to be invited to
> join the site - so I don't see how this is a suitable replacement for IJDB
> - sorry!

Hmm, not sure where my reply disappeared to so let's try again.

Sorry about the error, I changed all my passwords earlier this week due to
a certain message. Forgot that one was necessary for the contact page. All
fixed now though (Many people have already found this out. Once you're in,
please help me out by issuing your own invitations)!

I appreciate the invitation system is an inconvenience, but it is very
effective.

Cheers
Orin

emilyw

Apr 5, 2012, 6:46:33 PM4/5/12
seducedbycircus wrote:

> BTW I tried to ask for an invite to Juggling Edge website and I keep
> getting error messages! There is no contact email address that I can see
> on the site, and I think it is a bit stupid that you have to be invited to
> join the site - so I don't see how this is a suitable replacement for IJDB
> - sorry!

IMO the invite system is exactly what makes it a good replacement for IJDB.

The one biggest problem with running online forums is spam. Spammers are
_intent_ on posting Viagra links and similar all over everywhere on the
internet. It might not be obvious to folks who use forums, but often the
largest part of the volunteer work behind the scenes involves deleting
spam or inventing new technical schemes to foil spammers. In turn this
means that the organisers can quickly get burnt out, fed up or distracted
momentarily by life, and then bam! the forum is unusable because you can't
see the content for the spam. Once that happens the forum's days are
numbered.

An invite-only system is a clever way round the problem. At the first
sight of a spammer people will stop leaving public invitations lying
around, and then the job of reputation-checking new users is spread out
easily among all the other users instead of only stuck on Orin's head. In
my mind this gives the Edge a good chance of being around for a lot longer
than some of the other forums.

Emily

Adam Rowney

Apr 7, 2012, 4:42:03 AM4/7/12
Colin E. wrote:
> Some sad news...

I am deeply gutted by this. The IJDB portal has been such an incredible
place, with so much information, all compacted into one amazing site. I
had hoped that someone would take over the site, but there is indeed only
one Colin E.

I take my hat off to you, and to all the other contributors who have put
their time and effort into making the IJDB what it is. Many thanks for
keeping a website like this running for as long as it has.

Mike Moore

Apr 7, 2012, 10:45:02 AM4/7/12
Colin E. wrote:

> Little Paul wrote:
> >
> > > Tech Juggling fb group. Lets move this community to fb!
> >
> > I think it's inevitable that some of the community will move to fb, but
> > it'll do that without me as I have a life not a facebook account ;-)
>
> My situation is a little different, I have an active life and an inactive
> facebook account!
>
> Colin E.

My situation's different still! Active life, and active facebook account.

Really though, I /am/ a juggler.

Aymeric

Apr 7, 2012, 2:32:06 PM4/7/12
Lucky you! I have both an inactive life and an inactive facebook account!

Aymeric :)

Adrian G

Apr 7, 2012, 7:26:20 PM4/7/12
I will be sad to see IJDb go, though I only found it a couple of years ago
it has been incredible!

Thanks for all the work you and others have put into it over the years!!

How hard would it be to make links from the r.j portal redirect to the
corresponding google groups page?

I ask because there are so many links in r.j posts to other posts and it
would be great if when one of these was come across it would still get to
the correct page rather than 404ing

Adrian

KooKie

Apr 7, 2012, 9:34:20 PM4/7/12
Well played bro. You had a big part in what I am today, which is good, I
think :).

*fistbump*

Dave Cheetham

Apr 10, 2012, 3:16:23 AM4/10/12
Thanks so much for everything that you've done for the online juggling
community, Colin. You've had a huge influence (some might say,
indirectly) on a very large number of jugglers over the last 11 years.

Thanks,
Dave

ordo.v

Apr 10, 2012, 11:24:43 AM4/10/12
Thanks a lot Colin for maintaining such a wonderful site.

I have been visiting this site since 2005 and learnt a lot of thing from
the resources that this site provides. I will miss this site.

TraxxasJedi

Apr 11, 2012, 12:45:53 PM4/11/12
I don't think I can thank you (Colin and the other contributors) enough
for the service you've provided to me over the past several years. I can
say without a single doubt that the IJDb with its compendium, club
database, and rec.juggling portal are what got me into this wonderful
community, and my life has been enriched immensely. I very sad to see it
go. I do hope something good comes of it so the next generation of
jugglers can say the same thing.

Thank you so much for everything.
-Wesley

thatguy

Apr 11, 2012, 2:09:07 PM4/11/12
Don't worry. I could never forget my 3,673,478 catches of 37 rings.

Max Lovius

May 7, 2012, 11:36:56 AM5/7/12
Thanks for all the hard work over the years...

Maybe the next one can be decentralised, oh wait a minuet, is not
rec.juggling sort of like that? I must admit most pages I looked at were
festivals or events and rec.juggling which I suppose will keep going along
with all the spam...