Once Upon a Time.......

Mobius

Mar 2, 2012, 7:58:20 PM3/2/12
I'm heading back round to juggling slowly but surely!

This Fourteenth Bonus track is another double A side:

The Cult, Brother Wolf, Sister Moon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J48BzT5OBU

and

Leonard Cohen, First We Take Manhattan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTTC_fD598A&ob=av2n

Just one point of clarification. Weapons are mentioned in this song. My
personal interpretation is juggling props.

-------

Once Upon a Time there was a millet, I shall call him Gnubius.

For those interested in puzzles I chose this name through a combination of
wordplay and Math(s).

To be continued...

Mobius

His words sat on the page like livebait concealing a sharpened hook, ready
to lure the unsuspecting reader into a web so intricate he might never
find his way back home...

Adam

The world is full of cracks (pun intended [1][2]) leading to fantastical
places, If only you know how to gain entry, oh and how to slip back out
again.

Don't forget your trail of breadcrumbs...

[1] This reminds me of a text joke about the difference between a
prostitute and a drug dealer, but this isn't the time or the place for
that sort of thing.

[2] Readers might enjoy:

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland

From Sex to Superconsciousness

http://www.osho.be/New-Osho-NL/EnglBooks/FromSex.htm

(I read this over 20 years ago while in India. I don't remember much about
it but I'm sure I enjoyed it at the time!)

Mobius

Mar 2, 2012, 8:11:00 PM3/2/12
P.s.

All that glitters isn't gold[3], and conversely, all that infiltrates your
forum isn't spam.

Money, I still don't understand the f**king stuff, but then I haven't got
much of it to worry about!

Mobius

Mar 5, 2012, 8:07:56 PM3/5/12
I don't see any problems in the posts in the time above this, but to
reinforce reality:

The fifteenth (and penultimate) bonus track: (another double A side):

Pink Floyd, Money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjMWwf8RtTQ&ob=av2n

and

Depeche Mode, More Than a Party

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0LT8q48C9A

Boppo

Mar 5, 2012, 9:44:51 PM3/5/12
On Mar 2, 6:11 pm, a...@cole83.fsnet.co.uk.nospam.com (Mobius) wrote:

> Money, I still don't understand the f**king stuff, but then I haven't got
> much of it to worry about!

I can't blame you, the powers that be are doing everything they can to
obfuscate its history and especially its attributes.

For example, American currency used to be imprinted with words to the
effect of: This note may be redeemed for lawful money at any federal
reserve bank.

http://people.ku.edu/~kaf/pmoney/images/5frn34.jpg

Q1: What was the lawful money that the notes could be redeemed for?
Q2: If those notes were redeemable for lawful money, were they also
lawful money? Q3: What does that make the present notes, which can't
be redeemed for anything at one's local federal reserve bank?

Sorry if this adds to your confusion, rather than reducing it.

-boppo

david

Mar 6, 2012, 9:37:49 AM3/6/12
The picture shows a Federal Reserve Note. At that time there were Gold
and Silver Certificates (lawful money) that said something to the effect
that there was gold or silver somewhere and you could get it for this
piece of paper. Now only Federal Reserve Notes have survived. Gresham's
law shows again. It's older than the U.S. of A.

david

Boppo

Mar 6, 2012, 10:07:37 AM3/6/12
So, were the FRNs at that time money? Are the ones today money?

-boppo

Peter Bone

Mar 6, 2012, 11:01:30 AM3/6/12
Boppo wrote:
> So, were the FRNs at that time money? Are the ones today money?

If all the virtual money in today's fractional reserve banks is money,
then a note is definitely money.

Jay Linn

Mar 6, 2012, 11:36:39 AM3/6/12
On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 02:44:51 -0000, Boppo <btie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 6:11 pm, a...@cole83.fsnet.co.uk.nospam.com (Mobius) wrote:
>
>> Money, I still don't understand the f**king stuff, but then I haven't
>> got
>> much of it to worry about!
>
> I can't blame you, the powers that be are doing everything they can to
> obfuscate its history and especially its attributes.
>
> For example, American currency used to be imprinted with words to the
> effect of: This note may be redeemed for lawful money at any federal
> reserve bank.
>
> http://people.ku.edu/~kaf/pmoney/images/5frn34.jpg
>
> Q1: What was the lawful money that the notes could be redeemed for?

Here in the UK bank notes are and always have been promisory notes, IOUs
in essence.

The banks acknowledge that the paper they are printed on has little
intrinsic value in itself, and therefore a bank note is a promise to
exchange the note for something of real value, money, formerly in the form
of gold and silver currency. The monetary value of a bank note is
principally maintained by the confidence in the banking system of the
individuals and businesses who circulate paper currency and who choose to
honour its face value when used in transactions. English banknotes[1] all
bear the words "I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of [n]
pounds" depending on the face value. A very, *very* long time ago this
might've represented a promise to exchange the note for a similar number
of pounds weight of silver!

So, historically, lawful money used to be tokens in the form of coins,
but which could also be melted down and would still retain their value.

HTH provide a smidgeon of background about how it's done this side of the
pond. I guess that way back in the mists of time the Fed probably imported
broadly similar rules and ideas from Britain and Europe.

--
Jay Linn

http://juggler.net/lestival

Boppo

Mar 6, 2012, 12:09:24 PM3/6/12
On Mar 6, 9:01 am, peterb...@hotmail.com.nospam.com (Peter Bone)
wrote:
But what if all the virtual money isn't money? Then what? (If all
electrons are equal (according to quantum mechanics) then why should
some electrons be worth much more than other electrons?) The old
paper notes said they could be "exchanged for" money, that money was
"payable to the bearer [of said note] upon demand."

What's the difference between money and currency?

Is money supposed to be a "store of value"?

What is the record of paper currencies retaining their value?

-boppo

Peter Bone

Mar 6, 2012, 12:33:22 PM3/6/12
As Jay said, British notes still have something written to say they can be
exchanged for something of that value. I don't know why US notes changed
it but just because it's not written on each note doesn't mean that it's
not still true. You'll probably find it still written somewhere.
Can't believe I've been drawn into a non-juggling related discussion.

thegoheads

Mar 6, 2012, 1:25:38 PM3/6/12
Peter Bone wrote:

> Boppo wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 6, 9:01 am, peterb...@hotmail.com.nospam.com (Peter Bone)
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > If all the virtual money in today's fractional reserve banks is money,
> > > then a note is definitely money.
> > >
> > > --
> > But what if all the virtual money isn't money? Then what? (If all
> > electrons are equal (according to quantum mechanics) then why should
> > some electrons be worth much more than other electrons?) The old
> > paper notes said they could be "exchanged for" money, that money was
> > "payable to the bearer [of said note] upon demand."
> >
> > What's the difference between money and currency?
> >
> > Is money supposed to be a "store of value"?
> >
> > What is the record of paper currencies retaining their value?
>
> As Jay said, British notes still have something written to say they can be
> exchanged for something of that value. I don't know why US notes changed
> it but just because it's not written on each note doesn't mean that it's
> not still true. You'll probably find it still written somewhere.
> Can't believe I've been drawn into a non-juggling related discussion.

Here's a video I found that explains how our money system works in the US.
Possibly true, perhaps not, either way very interesting... and somewhat
depressing.

Part1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=5BT9E1SRrXU
Part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=FqhX4FUj3fQ

-Steve

Marlon

Mar 6, 2012, 5:44:02 PM3/6/12
Jay Linn wrote:

> English banknotes[1]

Now I'm wondering what's so mysterious about English banknotes.
I knew there had to be some secret reason why they didn't switch to euro
along with the rest of us.

Jay Linn

Mar 6, 2012, 6:31:32 PM3/6/12
On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 22:44:02 -0000, Marlon
<marlo...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:

> Jay Linn wrote:
>>
>> English banknotes[1]
>

> Now I'm wondering what's so mysterious about English banknotes.
> I knew there had to be some secret reason why they didn't switch to euro
> along with the rest of us.

Oops, senior moment.

[1] English banknotes, as opposed to a) Scottish banknotes, which are
issued by chartered Scottish banks; and b) Welsh banknotes, which AFAIK
don't exist. That cleared that up then.