2nd Annual IJA Video Tutorial Contest - Prizes, etc.

Thom!

Jan 29, 2011, 1:05:20 PM1/29/11
Hey Jugglers!

It's my great pleasure to announce the 2nd Annual International Jugglers'
Association YouTube Tutorial Contest!

This year, we've got several thousands of dollars in prizes lined up for
the top ten tutorials produced from February 1st to March 31st, as well as
a special prize in a new Juggling.tv subcontest!

The contest at a glance::

* The video must include an introduction, stating that it is an entry
to the International Jugglers' Association Tutorial Contest.

* The video must also include a link to www.juggle.org or
www.juggle.org/youtubecontest , either in the description box or as an
annotation.

* Entries are submitted by emailing the video's URL, your name, and
your location to tuto...@juggle.org

* You may enter up to three times.

* You do NOT have to be an IJA member to enter.

* Voting takes place on a third-party balloting system from April 1st
through April 4th.

**Full contest rules can be found here - www.juggle.org/youtubecontest**

2nd Annual IJA YouTube Tutorial Contest -
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=168050713231465

Looking forward to seeing this year's entries!

--Thom

--------------------

The Prizes!

1. IJA Festival Package
5x Gballz Elite Series, 2.75" or smaller (www.gballz.com)
Flowtoys Juggle Kit
(http://www.flowtoys.com/product.php?productid=137&cat=60&page=1)
5x Sirius All White PX3s (www.playjuggling.com)
Duncan FH Zero Yoyo & String Kit
IJA DVD

2. IJA Festival Package
5x Gballz Elite Series, 2.75" or smaller (www.gballz.com)
3x K8 LED Prophecy_IR Clubs
(http://www.k8malabares.com.ar/sitio_en/store_productos_ficha.php?ID=27)
5x Vegas Silver Deco PX3s (www.playjuggling.com)
Duncan FH Zero Yoyo & String Kit
IJA DVD

3. IJA Festival Package
5x Gballz Elite Series, 2.75" or smaller (www.gballz.com)
5x Quantum White PX3s (www.playjuggling.com)
Jumpfire Backpack (www.jumpfire.net)
Duncan FH Zero Yoyo& String Kit
IJA DVD

4. 7x Flying Clipper Tossaball Hybrids with pouch (www.flyingclipper.com)
5x Vegas Red Deco PX3s (www.playjuggling.com)
Duncan FH Zero Yoyo & String Kit
Duncan Spin Top
IJA DVD
IJA Pocketknife

5. 7x Baglady FlannyBags 2.75" 120 gm ultraleather with drawstring bag.
(www.baglady.com)
7x Bouncing Balls 65mm Yellow (www.playjuggling.com)
Duncan Shirt
Duncan FH Zero Yoyo & String Kit
Duncan Spinning Top
IJA DVD
IJA Pocketknife
Little Wooden Clubs Zipper Pull (www.littlewoodenclubs.com)

6. 7x Baglady RagBags 2.5" 100 gm alova suede with drawstring bag.
(www.thebagladyonline.com)
5x SilX 78mm Blue (www.playjuggling.com)
Duncan Shirt
Duncan Freehand Yoyo & String Kit
Duncan Spinning Top
Duncan DVD

7. 5x Sport Juggling Company juggling balls (www.sportjugglingco.com)
5x SilX Implosion Transparent 78mm (www.playjuggling.com)
Finesse Diabolo (www.Malabares.com.mx)

8. 6x 120g 3.25" Brontosaurus Balls (www.brontosaurusballs.com)
7x 2 Color Ultrasound-Sealed Rings (www.playjuggling.com)

9. Finesse Diabolo (www.Malabares.com.mx)
7x New MMX Plus 67mm Pink Flo. (www.playjuggling.com)
Duncan Shirt
Duncan Freehand Yoyo & String Kit
IJA DVD
IJA Pocketknife

10. 2x Collapsible 1/2" tubing travel hoops - 32" outer diameter & Poi Set
(www.thespinsummit.com)
7x 67mm Yellow SilX Balls (www.playjuggling.com)
Duncan Shirt
Duncan Freehand Yoyo & String Kit
Duncan Spinning Top
IJA Pocketknife
IJA DVD

Juggling.tv Subcontest

Any video entry also uploaded to juggling.tv with the tag "ijatutorial"
will also be eligible for consideration for the JTV prize, listed in the
prize description. Judges Void & Howie from JTV will choose their favorite
tutorial. All rules related to video content in the main contest still
apply.

3x JuggleDream Torches
(http://www.oddballs.co.uk/juggle-dream-supernova-fire-torch-p-3198.html)
5x PX3s (Richard Kennison)

***PLUS - The secret prizes!***

Autographed memorabilia from professional jugglers Pavel Evsukevich, Gena
Shvartsman, Stefan Sing, Anthony Gatto, and others -- to be included in
prize packages at random. What excitement!

TonySteinbach

Jan 31, 2011, 5:41:24 AM1/31/11
Dear Lord. Can I take my win back from last year? I want to win THIS year
instead. Incredible job on the prizes, Thom.

Thom!

Feb 1, 2011, 12:45:58 PM2/1/11
Happy February, everyone!

A quick threadbump to remind you that the submission period for the IJA
Video Tutorial Contest has begun...

Get out there and film, those of you who aren't snowed in!

--Thom

JugglingDotTV

Feb 9, 2011, 4:58:42 PM2/9/11
Top-posting bump, for the first entry in the JTV sub-contest:
http://juggling.tv/5343

JTV
_don't watch _be seen _ http://juggling.tv

David Cherepov

Feb 9, 2011, 7:31:44 PM2/9/11
Looks amazing! I will definitely enter with some diabolo and ball
tutorials.

thegoheads

Feb 9, 2011, 8:06:48 PM2/9/11
I really want to go to the IJA fest this summer, but I don't think I'll be
able to afford it... So I'm going to try really really hard to place in
the top 3 of this contest and win a free ticket into the festival!

Just a quick question for everybody: What would you rather see and/or vote
for? short one-trick tutorials? or longer tutorials that teach
groups/families of similar tricks?

Most of the tutorials I have made recently teach several similar tricks.
Here's my most recent one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsH22nQz0-Q

I've come to think that short one-trick tutorials are more enjoyable for
most people to watch. They show a single trick, and they don't take a
long time to watch. I was planning on making a tutorial for this contest
teaching at least a half-dozen or more factory/carry variations, which
would probably be somewhere around 8 to 10 minutes long, but I'm thinking
I would get far less votes from people who already know all the tricks and
don't feel like taking the time to watch the whole video. I'm guessing a
good strategy to win this contest is to focus more on making a short and
entertaining video, rather than making a longer video that teaches more
patterns. But on the other hand, the #1 winner last year was a 9 minute
video that only taught one trick, so maybe people don't mind sitting
through a longer video if it is well made with good instruction?

Thoughts? What would you all rather see and/or vote for?

-Steve

dave

Feb 10, 2011, 12:28:57 PM2/10/11
thegoheads wrote:

> I really want to go to the IJA fest this summer, but I don't think I'll be
> able to afford it... So I'm going to try really really hard to place in
> the top 3 of this contest and win a free ticket into the festival!

I must admit, I'm tempted to try this way to get into the festival too.[1]

> Just a quick question for everybody: What would you rather see and/or vote
> for? short one-trick tutorials? or longer tutorials that teach
> groups/families of similar tricks?

Short one trick.

> Most of the tutorials I have made recently teach several similar tricks.
> Here's my most recent one:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsH22nQz0-Q
>
> I've come to think that short one-trick tutorials are more enjoyable for
> most people to watch. They show a single trick, and they don't take a
> long time to watch. I was planning on making a tutorial for this contest
> teaching at least a half-dozen or more factory/carry variations, which
> would probably be somewhere around 8 to 10 minutes long, but I'm thinking
> I would get far less votes from people who already know all the tricks and
> don't feel like taking the time to watch the whole video. I'm guessing a
> good strategy to win this contest is to focus more on making a short and
> entertaining video, rather than making a longer video that teaches more
> patterns. But on the other hand, the #1 winner last year was a 9 minute
> video that only taught one trick, so maybe people don't mind sitting
> through a longer video if it is well made with good instruction?
>
> Thoughts? What would you all rather see and/or vote for?

I agree with your guess. To the extent that people actually vote for the
content, "entertaining" is the way to go IMHO. My guess is that if you
really want to maximize your chances of winning, then put serious thought
into your social networking plan. Last year many of my friends were
encouraged to vote for particular videos. My guess is few people who
voted looked an all the videos. Many people may not have even viewed the
video they voted for. I think you are well liked, so that should help
you. But remember to encourage all friends and family (non-jugglers) to
vote for you.

Dave

[1] I think Steve's statement here about the cost is further proof that
IJA's high price is hurting juggling scene in America.

lutkus

Feb 10, 2011, 4:44:03 PM2/10/11
thegoheads wrote:
> Just a quick question for everybody: What would you rather see and/or vote
> for? short one-trick tutorials? or longer tutorials that teach
> groups/families of similar tricks?

When I vote, I will be looking at things like: clarity of explanation and
demonstration, quality of filming (good lighting, background that makes
the juggling easy to follow), quality audio (no echo, consistent volume).
I'll be giving bonus points for personality / humor in the presentation.
I don't expect to be "entertained", but a tutorial will be easier to watch
if I enjoy it.

I suspect the sort of tutorials I will vote for will be the ones that
highlight a particular trick, and are generally concise about it. I don't
care if I can do the trick already. In fact, the more high-quality
beginner/intermediate tutorials in the world, the better.

thegoheads

Feb 10, 2011, 6:49:35 PM2/10/11
dave wrote:
> [1] I think Steve's statement here about the cost is further proof that
> IJA's high price is hurting juggling scene in America.

Or maybe it's further proof that I've been unemployed for over a year and
I spent most my savings on fast food and booze...

It's not really as bad as people make it out to be sometimes. The
majority of the cost is travel/hotel, and there's not a lot the IJA can do
about that. The festival is not within reasonable driving distance for me
this year, and airplane tickets can be pricey. And if 3 or 4 jugglers
share a room together that cuts the cost way down too.

I was able to afford the IJA festival 3 years in a row working part-time
at a low-paying job, and was still able to make it last year after having
been unemployed and broke for over 6 months.

Anyway, thanks for your input about the contest, Dave. I think I will end
up doing a short one-trick tutorial. I'm becoming persuaded that "short &
sweet" will probably end up being more popular than "long & detailed", and
in the end, the popular videos will probably get more votes regardless of
what trick(s) they teach.

-Steve

Brandi

Feb 11, 2011, 1:26:59 PM2/11/11

> Or maybe it's further proof that I've been unemployed for over a year and
> I spent most my savings on fast food and booze...

LOL! I hope you make it Steve, you're fun to have around. You could submit
more than one tutorial, but then you're competing with yourself to an
extent. I'd say try to get it out there early to get your views up early,
definitely use the social networking.

As far as tricks, I'd think it would be best to concentrate on one but
maybe at the end throw in a fun variation or two.

-Brandi

Daniel S.

Feb 11, 2011, 5:06:07 PM2/11/11
> I must admit, I'm tempted to try this way to get into the festival too.[1]

Dave,

You have to do this! It's too hilarious to pass up. You would get so many
votes. I will definitely vote for you*. Do it!

Daniel

*of course as long as you do great in the following criteria: "educational
value, entertainment value, technical ability, creative video
presentation, and humor."

dave

Feb 14, 2011, 1:50:47 PM2/14/11
Daniel S. wrote:

> > I must admit, I'm tempted to try this way to get into the festival too.[1]
>
> Dave,
>
> You have to do this! It's too hilarious to pass up. You would get so many
> votes. I will definitely vote for you*. Do it!
>
> Daniel
>
> *of course as long as you do great in the following criteria: "educational
> value, entertainment value, technical ability, creative video
> presentation, and humor."

Yea, it just might be too hilarious to pass up. I've had several friends
give some fun suggestions too. Feel free to call/email me if you think of
a particularly fun video for me to do.

Dave

Franco187

Feb 14, 2011, 7:51:25 PM2/14/11

A few random advices based on my very subjective opinion:
- For this contest, entertainment and visuals are very important.
- It doesn't matter much if it's short of long.
- It doesn't matter if I already know the trick, but of course you get
bonus points if it's something I or many others want to learn. Just don't
make it about something too obscure, like balancing a q-tip on your nose
or juggling while washing the dishes... Maybe you could film a new
flashier version of your tutorial explaining siteswaps, or maybe a
tutorial about a series of basic 3 club tricks?
- Maybe choose a catchy title.
- Mentioning you probably won't be able to make it to the IJA if you don't
win might win you quite a few sympathy votes.

Good luck!

Some examples of very good tutorials on the top of my head:

Contact Lesson: Head Rolls / brinechild
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeIsbS-rguo

How to do the Flourish - Juggling Tutorial / TheOmnipotentJuggler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncedz0EFr8s

Learn How to Juggle 3 Balls / worldjuggling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T16_BVIFFPQ

The two tutorials posted so far on
http://www.youtube.com/user/JugglingCentral

udropped1

Feb 14, 2011, 8:01:29 PM2/14/11
uh oh

I smell another "Dave Davis" bylaw brewing...

Please do it Dave

thegoheads

Feb 14, 2011, 9:10:38 PM2/14/11
> > Dave,
> >
> > You have to do this! It's too hilarious to pass up. You would get so many
> > votes. I will definitely vote for you*. Do it!
> >

> Yea, it just might be too hilarious to pass up. I've had several friends
> give some fun suggestions too. Feel free to call/email me if you think of
> a particularly fun video for me to do.
>
> Dave

Ooh! Ooh! Me! I have an idea for you!!

Make a tutorial about how to get banned / kicked out of the IJA by only
trying to prevent the downfall of the organization due to the poor
decisions of the "evil IJA bosses". Do a comic book theme, where you are
the super-hero, complete with costume, mask, and cape. Hire a caricature
artist to draw some utterly silly drawings of the "IJA bosses" comic book
super-villain style, and somehow incorporate the drawings into your video.

That would be the most awesome thing ever! And it would give you an
outlet for your opinions about the subject, while doing so in a fun,
creative way where you will be able to make light of the situation and
entertain others who have been following your posts on rec.juggling. And
maybe this would help you get over the whole ordeal. When something bad
happens to a person, and they are able to laugh about it years later,
that's good sign that they are ready to move on.

The rules say that anybody can participate and you do not need to be an
IJA member, but of course, because of this bit "The IJA reserves the right
to reject contest entries that the IJA deems inappropriate for any reason"
it is likely your entry would be rejected even if it was a serious
tutorial and not the silly idea I suggested above. But still, they can't
stop you from making a video and posting it on youtube... or maybe they
can... If they don't have a sense of humor, maybe they'd try to sue you
for defamation of character or something...

-Steve, stirrer of shit...