RIT Spring Juggle-in HLGCBS+

Norbi

Apr 19, 2009, 11:02:12 PM4/19/09
I always forget stuff when writing these. But here's what comes to mind.

Highs
- Hanging out with Dave (see below)
- Patrik's pirouettes.
- Ring passing with Emman
- Jacking everyone's shit.
- People enjoying my 2 ring thing.
- The sheer volume of cream cheese the kind lady put in my bagel! God
bless America.
- Missing the games.
- Regaining Friendship-Neutral status
- Working out how I knew everyone else in the car
- Making lame non-convention-goers watch some guy sitting down for 10
minutes!
- Emman's double balloon punch of doom!
- Avi doing a good job in the show!
- Hanging out with Dominique!

Lows
- The show. Sorry Jeff. I think you did a great job bringing in acts which
the general public would love. Unfortunately for me, they weren't in my
taste.
- Lack of Red Bull girls!
- Warren and Karas not being there.
- Lack of 24 hour gymmage, especially the 5pm kick-out on Saturday :-(
- At one point being responsible for -10 friendship points.
- Avi's random sleeping noises!
- Juggling Fear Factor. Nice in concept, but really tedious and not
entertaining (but perhaps I'm just too English)
- Watching Edd Jones hitting on my wife!

Crushes
- Dave Nager
- Patrik Elmnert
-

Goals
- Surprise people (check!)
- 16 ring passing (fail, with a 15 catches best)
- Find the Ice Cream place (check! It was Abbott's, thanks Dave!)

Banes
- Kids and balloons!
- Having "duh duh duh, cross, duhduh duh duh, cross" stuck in my head all
weekend after renegade!

Surprise
- Being called 'buff' be a number of people!
- Having magical convention powers and doing some hard stuff I normally
can't. I forgot about that phenomenon.
- Realizing i had chatted to, said hi to or even replied to on a newsgroup
such as this - but never actually formally MET Sean, Paris, Krista, V and
probably other I'm forgetting.

Weird
- having a ring passing session, and then a game of horse, being broadcast
live to the world!

Hanging out with Dave HLGCBS

Highs
- Oi, Bird!
- Litruhly Vs Lidderrally
- Lottery apparently sounding like Truck
- Basically laughing to tears, about ANYTHING
- Show commentary
- Exhalation Horse!
- 5 ring breakdown endurance
- 1up single pirouette 'endurance'
- Speaking only in vowels! i' eay ui a

Lows
- No ring bounce endurance rematch!
- 2 ring Horse not being hyper-mega-awesome fun. It was only super-cool.
- No 15 hour detour to take me home

Goals
- Surprise him (Check!)
- Sleep with him! (fail!)

Crush
- Facial Hair

Bane
- Seeing him juggling 5 objects for some throws! I'm disappointed Dave!

Surprise
- He still has the Russians i made for him over a year ago! Even if major
tapage has turned them into juggling cubes!

Uh Yeah. Good job lads and lasses!
Norbi

Saskeah

Apr 19, 2009, 11:10:21 PM4/19/09
We did this in the car and it lasted like two hours, so I know that this
should be massive... but a few hours later and somehow my brain is a void.
Who knows.

High
- Getting to see everyone one last time before the summer hiatus
- Friend-In 2009! (190 points total to Friendship Club!)
- Juggling. This is a new concept to me. Juggling? At fests? What?
- Being unnecessarily artistic with one ring and one club.
- Live video feed creeper texts
- How jacking other people’s shit is the new cool thing to do.

Low
- Show, with minimal exceptions. Jeeze.
- Renegade, minus Norbi and the cool footbagger of the three. I reiterate.
Jeeze.
- Lack of all-night awesome Taboo on Saturday night

Goal
- Learn 3 ring tricks! (check)
- Pass ten clubs (not check)
- Get better at 5 clubs (cheeeck?)

Crush
- Show commentary with Dave Nager

Bane
- Lack of people who like partner stuff with clubs who aren’t already
claimed
- Short gym hours! Do you guys actually like juggling?!
- Three days, SIX kisses, four from just Friday night. What the eff?!

Surprise
- Actually getting there (first road-trip fest ever)
- Balloon pop!
- Two voice-overs in one weekend.

Thank you
- the Pryntz-Nadworny family for having us. You’re still my favorite
juggling family.
- E-man and Norbi for being awesome travel buddies.

wes peden

Apr 20, 2009, 12:07:05 AM4/20/09
RIT

Tony Pezzo is so good! this guy is the unicorn in the stable of the
juggling world.

Mediums drinks in America are the same as extra large anywhere else.

Kyle Driggs is really beautiful.

Wake up the dying don't wake up the dead.

Matt Hall used to do BMX.

The RIT club has a mural now that all the performers are going to sign
from now on each year.

If someone else comes, I'd just sit here listening to the drums.

Sean Blue can laugh in a lot of ways.

it's a base not a porter. crazy kids.

i putted my pants!

i was talking with a friend about "the good old days of RIT" referring to
when i was 9.

Patrik was with me in America and that was great.

i still need to buy spacial american things for some swedes like life
savers and chocolate chips.

a big ballon poped crazy load while we were performing and we didn't drop.
we made up for that later.

i found out that if i need to change song on my ipod while training i can
walk in a circle to keep warm
while scrolling. may seem simple for you but it's super useful to me.

piggyback ride clean up.

sky gave me raspberry poptarts!

3 love!

/wes

look if i was a railroad man i wouldn't tell you to get off the tracks
just because i never got a love
letter. i would tell you because there is a train coming. see i have a
reason for it and i'm being honest
so if you are going to get up to do the dishes only do it if you really
mean it. i don't want your pity
washing. this is what i believe in and what i put my heart and sweat into
so i would rather you hate it
then pretend to like it and actually use to much glue on you food pyramid.
i'm back to wonderland
where the ideas aren't in the head before turning on the pop art machine.

Viveca

Apr 20, 2009, 12:27:46 AM4/20/09
Thanks to Jeff and all for a fun weekend!
Wes, bring them Cheez Whiz.
Best thing ever: Matt went to MInneapolis!!!
Viveca

aaron gregg

Apr 20, 2009, 4:52:11 AM4/20/09
wes peden wrote:

> a bunch on uncatergorized stuff.

I know you're trying to be all modern and stuff Wes but there is a format
for these things: HLGCBS. Seeing as you set such a significant example for
the youth of today, please try and follow the rules.

-Aaron

(the demanding rigor of formatted posting is all that keeps me sane)

wes peden

Apr 20, 2009, 9:00:54 AM4/20/09
aaron gregg wrote:

> wes peden wrote:
> >
> > a bunch on uncatergorized stuff.
>
> I know you're trying to be all modern and stuff Wes but there is a format
> for these things: HLGCBS. Seeing as you set such a significant example for
> the youth of today, please try and follow the rules.
>
> -Aaron
>
> (the demanding rigor of formatted posting is all that keeps me sane)

i was writing it before the HLGCBS thread was started and was going to
post it in a random RIT thread
but when i finished norbi had already started this.

deepest apologies,

/wes

Viveca

Apr 20, 2009, 10:50:56 AM4/20/09
aaron gregg wrote:

> there is a format
> for these things: HLGCBS.

Funny! I was just thinking how these rules no long achieved (for me
anyway) the goals for which they
were invented. Wes stuck true to the principles without following the
form.

Mark Hayward made up High-Low, and the Madison crew played for years at
their after-party as a way
to share brief glimpses of significant moments. I tried to play, but the
categories didn't summarize
what was important to me, so I added Crush-Bane, which more accurately
reflected my festival
experiences (embarrassing as that may be). Slammin' created Goal, which
will surprise nobody who
has ever met him. I think Rootberry came up with Surprise.

The categories, which have become so universal as to be juggling community
law, began as fairly
personal reflections of different jugglers' impressions. I love structure
and the way they get people to
think of things a different way, but if someone has strong festival
memories that don't fit the
categories, seems fine to include them in a recap.

Otoh, at least in my overly determined judgmental view of what is really
just a GAME, it's not okay to
use them to dodge answering if one does have an actual HLGCB(S) so maybe
I'm arguing in circles.

Anyway there are so many categories now, that the game takes forever, or
at least too long to be fun
except among close friends, so the Internet is the perfect place to post
these personal, sincere, and
occasionally embarrassing or hurtful thoughts.

Viveca

MasterKatra42

Apr 20, 2009, 11:34:28 AM4/20/09
Norbi wrote:

> - Juggling Fear Factor. Nice in concept, but really tedious and not
> entertaining (but perhaps I'm just too English)

OK, I'm trying not to over-react and say "well, if the first person to
post didn't like it, I won't do it ever again because it sucks". You did
say nice in concept, though, so can you offer suggestions for improvement,
or just flat out tell me to tank it? Thanks, good buddy.

> - Watching Edd Jones hitting on my wife!

Yea, that'll happen.

~Joe "Co-inventor of juggling fear factor" Showers

Saskeah

Apr 20, 2009, 11:38:45 AM4/20/09
the Internet is the perfect place to post
> these personal, sincere, and
> occasionally embarrassing or hurtful thoughts.

It's also really fun to do it in the car ride, when you have a lot of
hours to kill, whether you're with close friends or not. That way you get
to share in the fest hilariousness that occurred in other people's fest
bubbles and not just your own while it's all still fresh.

lutkus

Apr 20, 2009, 12:17:58 PM4/20/09
aaron gregg wrote:

> wes peden wrote:
> >
> > a bunch on uncatergorized stuff.
>
> I know you're trying to be all modern and stuff Wes but there is a format
> for these things: HLGCBS. Seeing as you set such a significant example for
> the youth of today, please try and follow the rules.

It is my opinion that the HLGCBS is only informative to the people who
have already gone to the convention. I like to read the HLGCBS for
conventions I haven't attended because... well, that's usually all that's
available to read. Unfortunately, about half of the whole thing reads
like a big inside joke.

For example, someone says something like (not quoting anything here)
"High: the show, except for that one act." If I saw the show, I might
know exactly what the person meant. But since I didn't, I have no idea
which acts were good, which wasn't, and I still really have no idea what
happened.

I'm not trying to say people shouldn't post the HLCGCBS, only that they
should also feel free to use whatever form they wish, and add as many
additional details as they feel would be helpful.

lutkus

Apr 20, 2009, 12:22:42 PM4/20/09
Highs
- Being able to watch a live stream of the convention even though I
couldn't attend
- Seeing lots of familiar faces

Lows
- Not actually being there
- Not being able to talk to most of the people I saw

Crushes
- Tim Peterson for making the video thing possible
- Greg Moss for making the convention possible
- Jeff Peden for continuing to make the convention possible
- The RIT club, and all other Rochester jugglers for being cool, and
making the convention happen

Goals
- Watch some of the video streaming of the convention (check)
- Say "Hi" to some people (check)

Banes
- Convention watching got in the way of my studying for midterms
- Wanting to pass clubs, but not being able to from a few thousand miles
away

GLF00

Apr 20, 2009, 12:55:32 PM4/20/09
The RIT folks really put on a terrific fest this year, bravo folks!

Highs:

-Finally getting to meet in person friends that I've been corresponding
with online for a long time!!

-Meeting people and making new friends.

-Getting together with old friends, especially nice as I only ever get to
see them at juggling fests (and I can't go to fests as often as some of
you ;-)).

-Matt Hall's workshops!

-The show.

-Wes and Patrik's (sp?) routine in the show!!!!! You guys blew my mind.

-Loads of combat Saturday!!!

-Perfecting my combat technique, especially learning to kick a club out of
another person's pattern.

-Winning the 5b endurence! (I really didn't think I could beat Patrik :))

-Coming in close second in the 3b blind juggling.

-Pulling off b633633 with machine carries in the gym on Sunday!

-The live vid coverage of the fest! My mum was able to watch (and root
for me in the games!) even though she couldn't come.

Lows:

-The fact that my mom couldn't come. I get homesick when she's not
around. :(

-Gym closed sooner and opened later then I was used too from other fests,
and that made for less juggling time. :(

-Accidentally kicking a fellow in the stomach during combat (he was an
awesome sport though, merely saying "now that's how combat should be
played!).

-Not being able to attend Greg Phillips' claymotion (clay motion?)
workshop because it was scheduled at the same time as Matt's multiplex
workshop.

-Coming so close to winning 3b blind and missing it.

-Wes and Patrik's Sunday workshop not happening/being delayed (It was
supposed to take place at noon, but still hadn't happened by 1:45 when I
had to leave, so I don't know if it went on later or not).

-The ending of Those Two Guy's act. Making fun of growing old and having
a heart attack is very bad taste, especially when there are people in the
audience who have had elderly loved ones die from heart problems (myself
included).

Goals:

-Get together with the Woodwards: check!!

-Learn new stuff: check!

-Win the 5b endurence: check!

-Pull of something in the best trick comp: Nope. Close, but no cigar.

-Do well in Sky Says: NO! I dropped on an easy trick I'd done a million
times (441 with the 1 under the leg). :(

-Win at least one other game besides 5b endurance: Nope.

-Play loads of combat: CHECK!! Thanks to Joe for being gung-ho and getting
it started on Saturday. :)

Crush:

-Matt Hall! So much fun to hang out with, always awesome in the show, and
it seems like I always learn something new when he's around. Thanks Matt!

-Katie: Juggler, homeschooler and martial artist. You rock girl!

Bane:

-A looooong drive up, during which a tire blew (thankfully we were able to
change it very quickly) - and then realizing that we should get the tires
changed, and it taking forever to find someone who had the right tires and
didn't charge an arm and a leg.

-A looong drive back, and getting in around 3:00 am when I was dog-tired.

Surprise:

-The amount of cool yo yoing going on in the gym. I know I shouldn't have
been surprised, given the variety present last year, but I still wasn't
expecting it. Keep it up folks!

-Going out to eat at the King and I. I'm not a fan of that type of food,
so I was hoping for Denny's or something similar, but my friends wanted to
go to the King and I because a lot of the other jugglers were eating
there. Interesting experience. :D (pretty good chicken though :))

Michael Karas

Apr 20, 2009, 1:11:02 PM4/20/09

Highs:

Joe hula-hooping while stripping
Dave Nager almost making out with some guy
Getting to speak to Norbi
Norbi's 2 ring fun in open stage
Paris rocking the JGLR hoodie
Wes's three club insanity on the floor

Lows:

Not actually being there.
The guy with the shirt that said "I am"
Choppy picture quality at times
truethat and newname
Wes Peden not giving me a marshmellow

Goal:

Get someone to do something on camera just for me! Check
See the open stage - check

Crush:

Tony Pezzo - he's just super fun to watch.

Bane:

Dave Nager apparently did not perform in the public show. No wonder the
show was a "low" for many people.

Surprise:

The whole live streaming thing actually worked very smoothly, all things
considering. I was surprised at how fun it was. Don't worry, I didn't
watch you guys all day every day. Probably logged about 3-4 hours total
over the two days.

Idea:

I think it would be fun to project what the InTARnet (as Joe calls it)
is chatting about for the real jugglers to see. While most of it was
casual, there were many compliments and insightful commentary from lots of
people (and friends of attendees). Also, people in the chat room kept
wanting to do trick requests. A projection of the text would help
facilitate this.

~Karas

Adam Van Houten

Apr 20, 2009, 4:04:21 PM4/20/09
Highs:
- Not getting hit by a truck while engaging in some thrilling truck stop
Combat
- Learning some fun acro-balance stuff
- Meeting some new people and seeing all the familiar faces
- Learning a few fun passing patterns
- The show in general was, interesting, but I have got to say that Tony
Pezzo and Wes and Patrick were awesome.
- Staying with a few good people pretty close to the Fest

Lows:
- Gym time on Saturday
- Show being held somewhere else instead of right on campus

Goals:
- Pass - Check
- Have a good time - Check
- Learn something new - Check
- Improve in some area of juggling - Check
- Teach someone something - Check
- 4 club doubles... *shrug* Half check? Getting better.

Crush(es):
- Wes and Patricks performance

Bane(s):
- Don't think I had any banes this Fest

Surprise:
- Hrm.... I guess finally realizing certain things are only as
hard/difficult as I make them. Just doing it without focusing on the
difficulty of it makes it somewhat easier to learn or do.

Adam Van Houten

Apr 20, 2009, 4:10:41 PM4/20/09
I did forget to mention...

The balloon pop while Wes and Patrick were performing scared my lunch
right out of me! Then as I was watching the stage I was astounded that
they really didn't even flinch (at least visibly to me).

Good job, great fest, awesome people!

Cya next year! (Or before then at any of the other fests I happen to be at)

krista

Apr 20, 2009, 4:41:40 PM4/20/09
High: the three days before RIT
the show for the most part
piggy back prop cleanup
mint chocolate chip dippin' dots
ducks, starfish, greenbras
acro balance stuff
creamer jenga
creepy text messages
Friend-In 2009
matching shoes
dance parties in front of a Chase bank

Low: Long Mint
feeling bad
not spending enough time with the people I wanted to spend time with
sleep number beds really just being an air mattress
not getting a Squirt
Brian Dailey wasn't there

Goal: Not juggle (failed)
Film with Pony (failed)
And some other stuff. I don't think I accomplished a single thing I wanted
to do at this fest.

Crush: mon troisième amour, avec la pizza et le poulet

Bane: 6:30am Saturday morning

I always forget a lot of stuff when trying to write these

EddJones

Apr 20, 2009, 5:14:20 PM4/20/09
Norbi wrote:

> - Watching Edd Jones hitting on my wife!

This is news to me?
Who is your wife and when was I hitting on her? I seriously don't
remember hitting on anyone! haha

dnaygs

Apr 20, 2009, 5:22:56 PM4/20/09
Highs:
-Hanging with Norbi
-Learning more english
-Finding someone to watch the show with who thinks juggling is as boring
as I do.
-Monkeys
-Jays, twice! We need a new place!
-Being at RIT as always brings me inexplicable happiness
-Exhalation horse was pretty awesome, I hope it catches on.
-Talking to Norbi
-Lottery sounds EXACTLY like truck. How could anyone ever tell the
difference?
-Quizzing Norbi on English slang

Lows:
-Boring drive
-There were several times when I wasn't hanging out with Norbi, what's up
with that?
-Stupid drunk college kids being extra loud all night
-There's still some English slang I don't know
-Norbi leaving super early on sunday
-Philadelphia, Rochester, and Quebec are all far too far apart.

Medium:
-Ring passing with Norbi? Rings are lame, but Norbi is not.

Goals:
-Go to RIT (check)
-Cry because Norbi wasn't going to be there

Crush:
-NORBI!!
-Norbi's sexy accent

Bane:
-Anyone who hung out with Norbi while preventing me from doing so.
-Stupid drunk college kids

Surprise:
-Norbi!
Also nobody ruined the surprise for me this time like mean Josh.
-A juggling act in a show that I enjoyed more than 5% of, I can't remember
the last time that happened.

Oh Norbi, if only we were both gay.

mea...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2009, 1:04:17 AM4/21/09
High
- Winning 3 ball blind
- The show, specifically the Matt Hall bits and the entire second half
- Seeing Wes do some of his amazing 3 club stuff live in the main gym
- Qualifying 5 rings for the first time
- Matt Hall's workshops, and his crazy siteswaps on Sunday
- Learning tons of new passing patterns, hopefully retaining them long
enough to teach some people in the UWO club
- Finding people to share the ride to and from Rochester, and the gas/
hotel bills
- Doing better than expected at Sky Says, going out on a drop instead
of doing something when Sky didn't say...
- Dinosaur Barbecue with Sean, delicious

Low
- My sunroof getting stuck open, and dreading rain the whole weekend
- No juggling after the show
- Sucking at combat, wish I had a chance to practice between festivals
- Dropping out of Sky Says, fumbling an easy 441 trick
- Leaving my camera almost completely unused the whole weekend

Goal
- Make it to the first pattern change in 5b endurance (check)
- Do a ton of passing (check)
- Do well at 3b blind (check)
- Do a little better at combat (faaaail)

Crush
- Matt Hall (up-close, talked during/after his workshop)
- Wes Peden (sheepishly, from afar)
- Dominique (hilariously cute http://tinyurl.com/c4ydjc )
- Iain (SO MUCH PASSING)
- Joe Showers (while he stomped my ass at combat)

Bane
- That goddamn balloon popping during Patrick and Wes' routine
- A stiff back from not finding my "comfort number" in the hotel beds

Surprise
- Tony Pezzo is *amazing*. I knew he was really good but I haven't
seen him since the Christmas Tree thing. WOW.

chasehenson

Apr 21, 2009, 3:12:05 AM4/21/09
Highs
in semi-order:
-Norbi's two ring routine
-Hanging out with Mike on Friday
-Getting some compliments on our russians
-Actually selling some of them
-Meeting new people
-The show was beautiful, for the most part
-Learning to do a tandem cartwheel
-Hanging out with Lisa on Sunday
-Improv. dance session with Joe

Lows
-Dropping the soap
-Stupidly being a good sport and eating the soap anyway
-Having the only ridiculous act in the Renegade, what is with that?
-Short gym time
-Not nearly enough combat

Thank you Jeff and RIT for a great convention.
Chase

MasterKatra42

Apr 21, 2009, 10:31:32 AM4/21/09
Guess I'll do the real one this time.

Highs: Seeing Wes again, meeting Tony and Patrick.
Once again reuniting with all my friends.
I thought Friday night show went well considering the amount of
participants.
Streaming with my friends, webcam shows.
Played combat a bit.
Saturday night at the bar and subsequent hot tub party afterward.
Everyone who stayed at my house.
Meeting Miss Silver.
Got my diabolo back, thanks Avi!

Lows: Josh not being there.
Lack of sleep.
Constant nagging feeling that everyone is so much better than me.
Learning that Sky is getting out of the biz and this may possibly be the
last fest I see her at.
Lack of circus training.

Goals: Pass with Wes (check, added video action)
Watch Tony (check)
Host a webcam show (check)

Crush(es): Matt Hall is always a great guy and a wonderful resource. I
got two rotations of vertax thanks to you!
Wes and Patrick... watching your routine was like a caveman discovering
fire.
Becky, you're the whole package.
Ross, my gay crush.

Banes: Josh wasn't there the whole time. I kept half expecting him to
walk in and be like "Yea, I killed my parents and came here instead".
Tarps killed my shoes.

Surprises: Tony is a greatly skilled juggler with mucho potential. His
clean stage routine brought half the place to their feet. That boy puts a
lot of work into his juggling.
It seems all my circus oriented friends have become jaded, or at least
their version of having fun is completely unknown to me. Not a surprise
really, just surprised it all happened at RIT.

All in all, great fest. Really relaxing time. Mostly just chilling, but
the juggling was great too. Sorry everyone, I'm booked for Montreal, so
I'm not really going to that.

~Joe "Is there in spirit" Showers

Emman

Apr 21, 2009, 2:16:33 PM4/21/09
Highs: Patrik.
Watching live UFC figthing.
Dancing on top of Sky's car.
2nd half of the show.
Double punch on those huge balloons.
2 rings horse.
French at renegade.
Avi rocking.
Getting over 100 catches of flatfronts on my first try.
Ring passing with Norbi.
Getting 20 clean passes of 12 rings 2 counts on first try when norbi had
just said there was no way we were getting that.
Spending the weekend with friends.
Starring at Dominique.

Lows: My big brother not being there.
Gym closes so early at american conventions...
Too many non-jugglers act in the show, they were good, but not for me.
Being so bad at 7 rings.

Goals: 16 rings flash (fail)
Do some hot passing stuff with Norbi (check)

Crush: Brian for driving us.
Viveca for enduring Sean and Kyle.
Patrik for being so good and having the nicest 3 clubs act I've seen to
this date.

Bane: GIRL PUNCHING THE BALOON I WAS GOING TO BICYCLE KICK GRRR

Surprise: Being there.
Wes and Patrik didn't react at all to the loud baloon pop.

Emman

RossB

Apr 21, 2009, 3:18:02 PM4/21/09
High:
- Seeing everyone that I haven't seen for a while
- Juggling
- Tony, Wes and Patrik in the show. Fantastic
- Having nice crash space
- Getting a free drink at a bar for balancing my hat. "I'm an
international champion" at that. Haha
Good one Paris.
- Good times at the bars with good people

Low:
- Getting no sleep... but It was because I was having a blast with
people... maybe it's a high and a low
- The drive up. I don't like being in cars for a long time. RIT was well
worth every second of it.

Goal:
- Juggle (check)
- Pass and try some new ideas (check)
- Do some acro (check)
- Decent run of 5 clubs. (no check)

Crush:
- Some juggling ladies
- Jeff for putting on a great fest.
- My gay crush, Joe. Norbi is to Dave like how Joe is to me. Pssh, we are
better than Norbi and Dave.
backhand five!

Bane:
- Not being good at juggling. There was so much talent in the gym. I want
some of that!

Surprise:
- Truck stop combat
- Going out with people after dinner, instead of just going to bed
- Didn't spend as much money as I thought I would.

dnaygs

Apr 21, 2009, 7:22:14 PM4/21/09
hey now, you better watch it. Nobody is better than Norbi and Dave.

Viveca

Apr 21, 2009, 7:42:20 PM4/21/09
Emman wrote:

> Crush: Brian for driving us.
> Viveca for enduring Sean and Kyle.
> Patrik for being so good and having the nicest 3 clubs act I've seen to
> this date.

Hey, thanks. Happy to have a witness to the madness around here!
Viveca
Shh! You'll wake Emman!

MasterKatra42

Apr 21, 2009, 8:01:07 PM4/21/09
dnaygs wrote:

> RossB wrote:
> >
> > Crush:
> > - Some juggling ladies
> > - Jeff for putting on a great fest.
> > - My gay crush, Joe. Norbi is to Dave like how Joe is to me. Pssh, we are
> > better than Norbi and Dave.
> > backhand five!
> >
> hey now, you better watch it. Nobody is better than Norbi and Dave.

I think it's about time for a gay-off. I'll have you know, I love fish
dicks in my mouth.

~Joe "Stretching and warming up" Showers

rootbeer

Apr 21, 2009, 8:14:28 PM4/21/09
HIGH
-my first-ever juggling fest!
-meeting people
-Wes & Patrik's and Tony Pezzo's acts in the show
-just being around so many other people to juggle
-qualifying 5 rings

LOW
-having to leave
-not really knowing anyone on Friday to juggle with

GOAL
-make new friends (check)
-have fun (check)
-learn a new trick (semi-check)

CRUSH
-Doriel: for juggling with me most on Saturday on Sunday

BANE
-my heels hurting from the gym floor

SURPRISE
-the drive wasn't as bad as I'd expected
-how nice and friendly everyone was

That's all I can think of now

krista

Apr 21, 2009, 10:33:10 PM4/21/09
EddJones wrote:

> Norbi wrote:
>
> > - Watching Edd Jones hitting on my wife!
>

> This is news to me?
> Who is your wife and when was I hitting on her? I seriously don't
> remember hitting on anyone! haha

You seriously must be the only person not to have noticed, then. Even I
saw that from like a mile away,
and I only know Norbi's wife.

RossB

Apr 21, 2009, 11:48:54 PM4/21/09

Joe. We would so win.

Little Paul

Apr 22, 2009, 5:46:33 AM4/22/09
On 2009-04-22, MasterKatra42 <maste...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:

> I think it's about time for a gay-off. I'll have you know, I love fish
> dicks in my mouth.

Well you *are* the one who sent me video of you soaping yourself up in
the shower.[1]

-Paul
[1] I think it's somewhere in here:
http://www.juggling.tv/vaults/view_video.php?viewkey=a85d6d06f1fdd4475dac

EddJones

Apr 22, 2009, 9:17:49 AM4/22/09
RIT Fest

Highs:
- Live web broadcast was sweet!
- Tons of people I knew attended with it being their first fest
- Norbi and Melissa were able to come down
- Going out drinking with Joe, Ross and Paris
- Everyone loved how I decorated my clubs
- Ross and his world record, free drink earning hat balancing

Lows:
- Super duper tired due to lack of sleep
- No girls at the club :( (Joe, Paris and Ross know.)
- Got run around a bit Saturday night with the BU club, with them ultimate
staying at RIT, which meant I could have left earlier and got lots of sleep
- A couple of people I hadn't seen in a year or two didn't seem incredibly
enthused to see me :(
- Wasn't a fan of Those Two Guys

Goal:
- Not suck in games (Check!)
- Have a good time (Czech!)
- Have Rat come to the fest (He did!)
- Have Breakfast at Joe Showers' house (Check!)

Crush:
- Tony Pezzo. I love him and I hate him for being so good.
- The one female juggler from the strong club. Call me.

Bane:
- Realizing that I need to practice more and also realizing I don't have
enough time to do that.

Surprise:
- I guess I hit on Norbi's wife? Still not sure who that is, but you
coulda fooled me.

Iain Murray

Apr 22, 2009, 9:59:19 AM4/22/09
MasterKatra42 wrote:

> Norbi wrote:
> >
> > - Juggling Fear Factor. Nice in concept, but really tedious and not
> > entertaining (but perhaps I'm just too English)
>
> OK, I'm trying not to over-react and say "well, if the first person to
> post didn't like it, I won't do it ever again because it sucks". You did
> say nice in concept, though, so can you offer suggestions for improvement,
> or just flat out tell me to tank it? Thanks, good buddy.

I'm English and generally liked it. I would ask you to ditch the razor
blades though. I'd hate to see someone cut themselves.

Iain.

Iain Murray

Apr 22, 2009, 10:13:32 AM4/22/09
High:

Passing! (thanks Matt, Mike, Kevin, Greg, Jim and others)
It's nice to see patterns not in:
http://www.varietyartsdirectory.com/resources/PassingPatternsAug06.pdf

Lows:

Losing a bean bag. A cheap one, but part of a broken-in set.

Crush(es):

Several super-skilled people running insane tricks in the gym.
Joe, who fits in this category, refered to this elite group as "everyone".

Banes:

Gym closing.

Surprises:

Thoroughly enjoying a beat-boxing routine in the renegade. I would
have predicted hating it. I think it's because, as a sciency type, I
really enjoy people breaking things down and letting me understand
what they're doing. Another example of this happening is the Stanford
Juggling Research Institute IJA silver medal routine. Obviously not
all routines should be like this, but more could be.

Thanks:

So many people seemed to be involved in running around, providing
food, running stands, and much organization must have been done. The
fest was great. Thank you all!

Iain Murray

Apr 22, 2009, 10:25:16 AM4/22/09
Iain Murray wrote:
> Thanks:

..and Matt and Sean for driving me around for the whole weekend. There
are so many kind jugglers.

Matt Hall

Apr 22, 2009, 10:40:53 PM4/22/09
On Apr 19, 9:07 pm, wespe...@gmail.com.nospam.com (wes peden) wrote:

> Matt Hall used to do BMX.

Indeed sir. Raced BMX from 11-15 years of age, and then went to the
World Championships when I was 12.

Took a break and then started freestyle BMX after I saw RAD in 1987.
Did that for 10 years until juggling came along and kicked its
ass...Let's just say nobody ever flew me across the world to backflip
a bike or do my flatland routine...

Ahh juggling...

matt

Matt Hall

Apr 22, 2009, 10:43:39 PM4/22/09
On Apr 20, 9:55 am, glenlukejugg...@gmail.com.nospam.com (GLF00)
wrote:

> -Pulling off b633633 with machine carries in the gym on Sunday!

Yeah, I was pretty stoked to see you hit that. Honestly, the only
other person I've seen do it is Ben Beever. Oh yeah, and me...in the
Best Trick...=P

> Crush:
>
> -Matt Hall!  So much fun to hang out with, always awesome in the show, and
> it seems like I always learn something new when he's around. Thanks Matt!

I'm teaching you so that I can get all the cool variations you
discover later! ;)

Matt Hall

Apr 22, 2009, 10:50:12 PM4/22/09
On Apr 20, 10:04 pm, mea...@gmail.com wrote:

> - Matt Hall's workshops, and his crazy siteswaps on Sunday

Thanks for that--I feel like the workshops are still a bit too diffuse
in their focus. Or, I should say that I feel like I'm still losing a
lot of people about halfway through the process either because I'm
moving too fast or because the level of material is too difficult.
What say you?

As for the siteswaps, I'm wondering which ones you were seeing. I
tried 123456789 for a bit, and then I started messing with my ball
routine sequence, which is:

75751-75751-97531-97531-66661-66661-8558158518551

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain still. Fun though!

Thanks again, and I hope we see each other at another fest soon!

matt

Matt Hall

Apr 22, 2009, 10:52:06 PM4/22/09
On Apr 21, 7:31 am, masterka...@hotmail.com.nospam.com (MasterKatra42)
wrote:

> Crush(es):  Matt Hall is always a great guy and a wonderful resource.  I
> got two rotations of vertax thanks to you!

Joe, I'm bummed we didn't get more time to hang and talk, much less
jam together like we did in Oregon.

As for the vertax stuff, you're definitely on your way. Now just get
some freakin' real equipment! XD

See you soon I hope. Montreal beckons...

matt

Matt Hall

Apr 22, 2009, 11:31:45 PM4/22/09
Okay, it's time for me to bust out the list. It's kind of long, as
usual...

High(s):

Having my bag with my props and my medicine arrive in Rochester on the
last flight of the night at 12:30am, just as I was at the supermarket
buying all the things I thought were lost.

Closing the kids' show in the morning on Saturday with some fun stuff
and realizing I might be able to juggle despite my physical state

Seeing people get stoked in the workshops when they pulled a new trick

Winning the 7 ball endurance given that I totally did not expect it
and that I could hear/see Patrik's russian balls going "swish, swish,
swish..." in my peripheral vision.

Winning the best trick with the trusty b633633 factory on the circus
finish (3rd try) Pure Gravy after the 7 ball trophy.

The Atomic Dog routine going fairly well to open the Public Show.
Still too many drops, but fun and good energy.

MC'ing the rest of the public show and having a blast with my minions,
Rachel and Dominique.

The dinner at the diner after the show. I really enjoyed my chat with
Sky, Krista, and Tony, as well as trying to sell Dominique on the JET
Program.

Sunday in the gym. Just foolin' around and juggling for the joy of
it. It's been a while...

Low(s):
Oh, nothing really. Except for that little oversight where I booked a
flight to Rochester, MN instead of Rochester, NY and didn't notice
until I got off the plane in Minneapolis and asked where my connecting
flight was...BAM. I am an idiot. I paid for my mistake
though...literally. Major dollars out of my pocket to get it fixed
and just get to NY that night, seven hours later. Ugh. The lowest of
the lows I've ever experienced going to a juggling festival.

Goal(s):
Come correct with some good workshops and performances.
Survive the weekend physically and not relapse
Enjoy the heck out of my first RIT and finally see in person the place
where Wes and Joe filmed all those vids. =)

Crush(es):
Jeff Peden. Thanks for the chance my friend. I still feel bad about
missing Friday night.
My minions--Rachel and Dominique--they jumped in at the last moment
and really added to the fun onstage
Don--what a host. This guy drove to the airport 3 times on Friday to
deal with my crap, and never complained.
Patrik--really nice guy and monster juggler, of course. I remember
sitting there during his and Wes's set and thinking to myself, "God, I
just love watching juggling!"

Bane(s):
Myself and my first ever flight booking SCREW-UP. I don't go halfway
when I blow it.
The balloon pop during Patrik/Wes routine

Surprise(s):
The difference one day's worth of medication meant to me once I got my
hands on it. Stoked!
That the new flights I booked, which were originally economy, were
switched to business class. Nothing like flying home from the
festival in first class style! Definitely a sweet pay-back for
Friday's March of Death.

What a great festival! I definitely want to come back next year, but
I'll probably just end up in Minnesota. XD

Iain Murray

Apr 22, 2009, 11:49:03 PM4/22/09
Matt Hall wrote:
> ...I feel like I'm still losing a lot of people about halfway

> through the process either because I'm moving too fast or
> because the level of material is too difficult.

I was one of the most novice jugglers in your multiplex workshop.
I gave up trying to do the tricks about half way, but still enjoyed
it and got a lot out of what I could follow. I appreciated your
having time for everyone and thought you did a great job.

Iain.

mea...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2009, 1:06:42 AM4/23/09
On Apr 22, 10:50 pm, Matt Hall <juggle_sen...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I feel like the workshops are still a bit too diffuse
> in their focus.  Or, I should say that I feel like I'm still losing a
> lot of people about halfway through the process either because I'm
> moving too fast or because the level of material is too difficult.

I like the current balance. The intro stuff in all three workshops was
immediately useful, and the harder stuff has given me a ton to
practice. Some of it was beyond me, but I still found it interesting,
and there were better jugglers present who probably found the harder
stuff more useful.

> As for the siteswaps, I'm wondering which ones you were seeing.

I think there were some 8's in there... It was beyond me to identify
any of them, but they were awesome to watch.

> Thanks again, and I hope we see each other at another fest soon!

Me too, it was great to meet you.

--
Matt

Warren Hammond

Apr 23, 2009, 1:52:17 AM4/23/09
Matt Hall wrote:
> Low(s):
> Oh, nothing really. Except for that little oversight where I booked a
> flight to Rochester, MN instead of Rochester, NY and didn't notice
> until I got off the plane in Minneapolis and asked where my connecting
> flight was...BAM. I am an idiot. I paid for my mistake
> though...literally. Major dollars out of my pocket to get it fixed
> and just get to NY that night, seven hours later. Ugh. The lowest of
> the lows I've ever experienced going to a juggling festival.

Dude, same thing has happened before! In 2003 we brought in Denis Paumier
from France. I was at the airport waiting for him to arrive when I
realized his ticket was actually to Rochester, MN. Luckily, he noticed the
mistake when he got to the airport in France and was able to get it
changed there and arrived just fine (though a little late). That was not
a pleasant hour or so waiting to hear from him while still thinking he was
headed to MN.

Also, bummed that I didn't make it to the fest! Was looking forward to
seeing you and everyone else again. Glad to see you enjoyed it though!

-Warren

Matt Hall

Apr 23, 2009, 1:36:32 PM4/23/09
On Apr 22, 10:52 pm, war...@warrenhammond.com.nospam.com (Warren

Of course, he spotted it before he got on the first plane, which makes
all the difference. Just another reason why he's Denis Paumier and
I'm not. =)

Ask Ivan about his travel hell stories some time. I told him mine on
Saturday night and he basically laughed with glee the entire 30 minute
conversation. =P

Tim Peterson

Apr 24, 2009, 11:43:02 AM4/24/09
High
- Successfully broadcasting live video of the festival. It went well,
considering it's never been done before.
- Running tech for the show with Rush-Henrietta high school students Matt
and Lyla. Everything went smoothly, apart from Nels catching me off guard
with a music cue (and Wes and Patrik faking us out on their ending).

Low
- Juggling only sporadically, between bouts of attending the camera.
- Seeing the waitresses at Jay's dismayed by the confusion the jugglers
brought Saturday night. They remember us from last year.

Crush
- I probably crushed a bug with my foot at some point...

Goal
- Live video streaming - check
- Juggle - check, though mostly on Sunday

Bane
- Only having one camera available, making for dead air when things had to
be reconfigured.
- Ustream.tv isn't flexible or reliable enough yet to do a high-quality
video production. I'll have to figure out how to improve things next year.
Also, suggestions on how to make the virtual attendee experience better
would be welcome.

Surprise
- Lots of people watched online. During the Saturday games we had around
10 named viewers and 15-20 more anonymous folks.
- The student techs at the school were totally unprepared for our needs,
through no fault of their own.

--Tim

Sean Haddow

Apr 24, 2009, 9:07:00 PM4/24/09
A little late, but here goes:

Highs:
-The show, especially Matt, Tony, Jorden, and of course Wes & Patrik.
-Matt's 2 ball kendama moves and teaming with Don to come up with another
sequence for Matt
-Dinosaur BBQ
-Passing with Greg, a rarity for me to pick up my clubs
-nailing some 4 box tricks that I barely ever get, several times in a row

Lows:
-No gym time after the show

Goals:
-Relax and enjoy the fest (check)

Crush:
-Matt Hall
-Sky

Bane:
-None really

Surprise:
-Ordering take-out at Dinosaur BBQ and having the girl at the counter say
to Sky "Hey, you're the jugglers that were in here last year"

Saskeah

Apr 24, 2009, 9:38:39 PM4/24/09
Tim Peterson wrote:

> High
> - Successfully broadcasting live video of the festival. It went well,
> considering it's never been done before.

That was a totally sweet idea. Thanks for pulling it off, I really
appreciate that.