http://wikidiabolo.com now online - please visit and feel free to add material

1 view

Richard Clement

May 20, 2008, 7:26:07 AM5/20/08
Hey there,

Check out http://wikidiabolo.com - the only wiki site dedicated to
diabolo.

Feel free to add, change and learn from the site.

Seeya

Rich

Ed Provencher

May 21, 2008, 7:31:35 AM5/21/08
On May 20, 8:26 pm, Richard Clement <richard.clem...@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> Check outhttp://wikidiabolo.com- the only wiki site dedicated to

> diabolo.
>
> Feel free to add, change and learn from the site.
>
> Seeya
>
> Rich

Cool idea. I get a lot of visitors to my juggling site because I
posted some youtube diabolo tutorial a while back. I'll be sure to
put this in my ever expanding sidebar.

www.icantstopjuggling.blogspot.com

Luke Burrage

May 21, 2008, 12:43:33 PM5/21/08

Hi Rich.

I took a look at the wiki. But I couldn't change anything. First I thought
it was the first pages as it was locked, but then all the pages were
locked, including the sandbox. I really only wanted to add something to
the discussion page of the home page, but even that was impossible.

Here are some thoughts. I have to share them here as I can't on the wiki:

- I really like them because it is really easy to add information. If you
make it hard for people to add information, they just won't bother. If I
have to sign up to change incorrect information on that wiki, I won't
bother going through with it.

- Locking the front page is a really bad idea. Do you know the best way to
make a new page? It is by adding a link to it first, then creating it.
Locking any page forces people to go through extra steps to get to
something that should be easy.

- Why bother putting up loads and loads of links to pages that don't yet
exist? Why not let people add whatever page they want under any heading
they want? This way people will work on what they are passionate about,
rather than on things they feel you are telling them to work on.

- By unlocking the front page the site can look more conversational. For
example, one part looks like this:

"One diabolo

One diabolo - Getting started

One diabolo - Correction

One diabolo - Speed

One diabolo - Starts

One diabolo - Tricks

One diabolo - High throws & siteswapping"

I think it looks really ugly as well as discouraging input. But it could
look more like this:

"Basic Tutorials:

First you need to know the basics. After buying_your_first_diabolo, you
should learn about getting_started_with_one_diabolo. Next up you need to
learn how to correct_things_things_when_they_go_wrong and once you can
keep the diabolo spinning, you need to learn how to spin_it_faster.

Once you get the hang of that, you can work on some high_throws and other
_tricks_. Also check out the _jargon_ page if you are confused by any
terminology."

The list as you have made it can be generated easily and automatically by
use of categories. A single link will take you to a list of all pages
about one diabolo.

Hope this helps.

Luke