St. Louis Wash. U Jugglefest HLGCB

Alan Thompson

Oct 22, 2008, 12:15:58 PM10/22/08
So I guess I will get this baby started!

High: Passing 10 with Peter Kasemen, Winning 5 club , 7 ball, and 9 club
passing endurance, Taking Warren Hammond's workshop on passing tricks
(Thanks for the Albert's advice), Doug Sayers' routine, THe great venue
for the Show,Watching Galen Run multiplexes with five clubs, Watching
Dave Heald win 5 ball shower endurance, The Wash. U. passing performance,
and Of Course Passing with my Bestest Buddy THom Wall.

Low: Sore hands from using 95s, Leaving the convention early on Sunday,
Being slammed with work on the following Monday, Not being able to qualify
our 13 club line on stage, and being cold when Outside and the bathroom
not having warm water for my hands :( .

Goal: Win 5 Club endurance in games, yay for me, and learn some 10 club
double double ...Thanks Peter!!! and Pass a bunch with Thom...not as much
as I would have liked,

Crush: Peter Kasemen, Warren Hammond, Thom Wall, Doug Sayers,Frida Odden
(Take that Gravity!), and My GF Ashley for driving us there.

Bane: Having all white props, Low ceiling fans, Not enough Elbow room,
and Thom being crazy busy and thus we couldn't get any sweet tricks on
film.

All that considered, the Convention was A-MAz-INg.

Will S

Oct 22, 2008, 12:26:12 PM10/22/08
Alan Thompson wrote:

> So I guess I will get this baby started!
>

> High: Passing 10 with Peter Kasemen, Winning 5 club , 7 ball, and 9 club
> passing endurance, Taking Warren Hammond's workshop on passing tricks
> (Thanks for the Albert's advice), Doug Sayers' routine, THe great venue
> for the Show,Watching Galen Run multiplexes with five clubs, Watching
> Dave Heald win 5 ball shower endurance, The Wash. U. passing performance,
> and Of Course Passing with my Bestest Buddy THom Wall.

Sorry this is seriously off topic, but I'm curious. How many games are
there at American conventions, how seriously are they taken and what are
the prizes like?

Cheers,
Will

Alan Thompson

Oct 22, 2008, 1:16:43 PM10/22/08

Usually 15-20 games involving either endurance or something silly like
juggling limbo. I don't think they are serious at all, but there are
maybe some light-hearted rivalrys among friends. Most conventions if you
win you get a raffle ticket, but the Washington U. Club gets these
trophies from weird places(Speed skating Trophies this year) and put
labels on them to hand them out as prizes. It can be fun for new jugglers.

Bekah.Smith

Oct 22, 2008, 3:49:03 PM10/22/08
HIGHS
- Nailing some awesome passing stuff (thanks, sleep deprivation!)
- PB & J's!!!!
- Sleeping on the grass in front of the fest building for an hour before
the doors opened...best nap of my life.
- Seeing all of my midwest juggling buds

LOWS
- Sore leg muscles from playing an intense round of the kick-up game
Sunday morning
- Driving all through the night to get there
- Some good friends who couldn't make it to the fest

GOALS
- To win one of Thom's SWEET trophies...check! Though, I probably didn't
deserve to win a 4-ball, 4-person joggling relay having never joggled
before.

CRUSH
- Jen Slaw and her beautiful juggling
- Thom Wall...just for being freaking awesome
- Everyone from Nebraska...you guys rock my world with Twizzlers

BANE
- The space was a bit crowded at times
- The trophies were too small ;)

I really had a great time at this fest...it grew so much in just one year!
HUGE thanks to the organizers, and also thanks to everyone who showed me
a new trick or taught me something new. :)

- beKAH!

jfein

Oct 22, 2008, 5:46:17 PM10/22/08
Highs
-being part of planning such an awesome event
-the show, you guys are freaking talented
-learning a lot, especially from warren and matt’s stellar workshops
-passing with my friend Daniel Fogel, who cordially invites you to the
Claremont fest in February

Lows
-being exhausted from going to bed late, waking up early, juggling all day
(not such a low after all)
-dropping in a 4 count on stage…otherwise a great show, but it had to be
said

Goals
-get better at juggling (check)
-host people from all over and put on a great fest and show without
problems (pretty much check…
wow)

Crush (so many to choose from…)
-Thom: you’re the man—can’t wait to plan ’09 in your honor
-Frida: awesome show, awesome workshop, awesome
-Tony: seeing your act made me realize how lucky I am to be in a club with
you
-there are so many more, including every single performer, but I don’t
wanna bore people

Bane
-I’m not gonna name any names, just in case TIM HERMAN is reading this,
but the light/sound guy for
the show was horrible and cause the show to start late. Thanks to Perky
(Jeremy Perkins, of J&J
Juggling) for dealing with him and making the show go smoothly.

This was the best weekend ever…thanks to everyone who came and made it
special. We’re already
getting started on planning ’09 and we hope to see you all there! We’re
hoping to get a bigger gym
and show space for next year and fill those too!

Warren Hammond

Oct 22, 2008, 6:43:08 PM10/22/08
Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this thread Alan.

Highs:
-Hitting all my big tricks in the gym Saturday
-Making really good progress on one-count shoulder throws
-Having some killer runs of 9 club two-count and 8 club one-count with
Bekah
-Playing and doing well in the games
-Champion pose
-The NPSCJ's, Kevin Axtell's and Jen Slaw's acts in the public show.

Lows:
-Missing all of Friday and due to leaving Denver at 6:30PM and arriving at
the fest at 8AM.
-Missing Thom's party on account of sleep deprivation.

Goals:
-Make it to the fest (check)
-Teach a successful workshop (check)
-Perform (no check! new act not quite ready)
-Pass with new people (check, though I never got around to passing with
Peter Kasemen which I really wanted to do)
-Learn new take-outs from the Jeremys (check).
-Get in some work on devil sticks (check).

Crushes:
-brianpdailey for being a cool guy
-Thom Wall for the fest
-Jen Slaw for her workshop and performance

Bane:
-Super-long drive, sleep deprivation and eating poorly (I think I'm still
recovering from that combination)

Surprise:
-Juggling really well on saturday despite maybe 2 hours of sleep.

Thanks to everyone who helped put this fest on and made it such a blast!
I hope to make it back next year.

Warren Hammond

Jacob Nachsin

Oct 22, 2008, 11:19:20 PM10/22/08

High- The show. It was awesome, especially the NPSCJ, Jen, Frida and
Kevin. Also, getting to help a little with Josiah's routine.
The games,watching all the amazing jugglers, talking with the amazing
jugglers and passing with the amazing jugglers. Frida and Jen's workshop,
Warren's workshop and trying to pass 8 clubs.

Low-Getting 4 hours of sleep the night before and having a 20 hour day.
By the party I was so out of it I could barely stand. Also, on Monday I
was so sore I was limping. Hitting the fans twice with my clubs.

Crush-Doug Sayers, Alan Thompson, and Jen Slaw in that order. Also Jeremy
Fein for letting me mooch off of him for rooming.

Bane-Having white balls, hurting my hand on my ice skates the day before
so I could not juggle rings. Being too intimidated by Josiah to talk to
him.

Goal- learn some new tricks, meet some people, not embarrass myself too
much. All check.(I hope I got a check on the last one)

Tombre

Oct 23, 2008, 12:56:56 PM10/23/08
- High -

Seeing all the people in the gym having a good time!

Getting in the top three with Tony and Doug in 5b enduro, dropping at
7:30 with the call "Sit down flat on the ground!" (Shakes his fist at the
gamesmaster)

The show! With a lineup like that, you can't go wrong. Also, getting
critiques (and lots of positive comments!) on our four person passing
routine by all of the performers... it's pretty cool to get other
jugglers' opinions.

My lovely houseguests: Matt Hall and Kevin Axtell. Some of the nicest
guys I've had the pleasure of hosting.

A double triple pirouette and running shoulderthrows in eight singles
with Alan.

Watching Jeremy shatter his five club record.

- Low -

Not being able to juggle terribly much... There was lots to be done!

Falling so behind in my schoolwork! This is going to be a crazy week.
Worth every second of it, though!

When the police came to investigate a door that *someone* propped open
<Whistles innocently>

- Goal -

Hosting a successful festival without any major hang ups... Check!

Win a game or two... Check! (9 club passing endurance & wheelbarrow
races!)

Make sure the show gets off without a hitch... Semi-check!

Hosting the afterparty at my digs without anything getting broken...
Check!

No fans destroyed in the gym... Check!

- Bane -

Tim, the grouchy sound guy. Do your job, man!

The crazy lady who called me over to complain about the posters - "These
are too sexy! They're obscene and disgusting and vulgar! Juggling
shouldn't be sexual!" (Have you seen our poster? Sure it's sexy! It's
drawn by a liberated woman, though, so shouldn't that count for something?
:) )

Alan's ghost clubs. (At least they're 95s!)

- Crush -

Frida! Her routine tore down the house. Insane! The workshop was
pretty cool, too. And her accent. <3<3<3 Also, did anyone else realize
halfway through the game that playing three ball limbo against a
contortionist was a bad idea?

Jim, the Jeremys, Franklin, and the rest of the St Louis club. Without
you guys, the festival wouldn't have happened at all!

Alan and Warren: Two of the best passers in the whole world! And Peter
Kaseman, too, I guess ;)

- Surprise -

Frida. She contacted me less than a week before the festival asking to
perform. Best. Coincidence. Ever. (Errr... no coincidence! I'm just an
extraordinarily well connected festival coordinator! ;) )

Seeing jugglers from all over the midwest-and-beyond in the gym -- maybe
that shouldn't be *such* a surprise, but this was our second year holding
the festival at WashU after a long stretch of no St Louis Festivals at all
and it's nice to see all your regional friends again (and some new faces!)

Doug's one up pirouette in three ball blind. What?!

..does anyone have any photos from the festival? Just curious.

See you next year, I hope!

--Thom

Ashley Petty

Oct 23, 2008, 5:36:06 PM10/23/08

I posted all of the pictures I took on facebook and myspace, and sometime
in the (near) future I plan to make a video of the festival. :) If
anyone has some good footage from the festival, get in contact with me.

Ashley

Bekah.Smith

Oct 23, 2008, 6:31:03 PM10/23/08

> Doug's one up pirouette in three ball blind. What?!

That was so awesome...holy crap...

Fogel

Oct 23, 2008, 8:14:29 PM10/23/08
Highs
-Josh Horton doing a two stage with clubs under an 8 foot ceiling.
-Reading the ridiculously hilarious labels on the trophies (Most Obedient
Juggler, 55555.....)
-Seeing Jeremy and Jeremy
-Jeremy coming back after dropping in 4 count and not dropping the rest of
his show!
-The show, in particular Kevin's crazy club manipulation

Lows
-The show...ending
-Woodchips in my beer at Thom's

Goals
-Don't dislocate my shoulder (not check)
-Get a trick Josh Horton can't do (75751 CHECK!) Mwahahaha

Crush
-Anybody who comes to the Claremont festival in February

Bane
-Jason Varitek, Terry Francona, anyone from Tampa Bay
-I'll stay trendy and add Tim Herman

Kevin McBeth

Oct 24, 2008, 8:06:08 PM10/24/08
Highs
-Warren's workshop. It was the second time he's taught it, and it just
keeps getting better.
-Nearly every one of my favorite juggling friends at a single convention.
-The absolutely awesome show cast (could there be a better group for a
regional convention?).
-Doug Sayers doing the 1 up 360 during 3 ball blind. It was almost as
cool as that 3 up bowling pin 360 he did at Little Apple last year.

Lows
-Ryan Bradburn not being there.
-Thom being too busy putting on the great festival.
-Not being able to spend enough time with each of the great people there.
-Josh and Doug being too busy filming their new video to hang out as much
as usual with us mere juggling mortals.
-Too little elbow room for my sloppy throws.

Goal
-Survive the weekend (marginal check).

Crushes
-Warren Hammond is always on my crush list for his energy and willing to
teach. I hear he has HOTTIE pants, too.
-Thom Wall for the awesome sound effects he makes while juggling.
-Tio Duermeier for his dreamy eyes.
-The Nebraskan crew for their Twizzlers and great music discussions.
-Bekah Smith for her great kazooing embouchure.

Bane
-Too many people in boring pants.
-Breaking something at Thom's place during the party. I hope doesn't find
out...
-Not actually going to the convention because I was studying for my
actuarial exam. :-(

Bekah.Smith

Oct 24, 2008, 8:56:39 PM10/24/08
I don't think that most people put this much thought into HLGCB posts for
fests that they actually did attend. Well done. :)

- beKAH!

Alan Thompson

Oct 25, 2008, 1:07:43 AM10/25/08
Kevin McBeth wrote:

> Bane
> -Too many people in boring pants.
> -Breaking something at Thom's place during the party. I hope doesn't find
> out...
> -Not actually going to the convention because I was studying for my
> actuarial exam. :-(

Hilarious!