[comic strip] The Juggling Crib - laura

elias

May 5, 2008, 5:59:31 PM5/5/08
THE JUGGLING CRIB is a juggling related comic strip featuring some local
jugglers here in Stockholm, Sweden. In the main cast you can watch bad
imitations of jugglers like Elias Hedlund, Wes Peden, Peter Åberg and Jay
Gilligan amongst others.*

THE JUGGLING CRIB
http://www.informatik.umu.se/~svph0214/index.php?page=projects&proj=tjc
New strip every monday

Feel free to give feedback either here or at eliashedlund AT gmail DOT com

* The script and all characters in this comic are based and inspired by
real life situations. The following strip contains coarse language and due
to its content it should not be viewed by anyone. The truth is always
nastier though.

/ Elias Hedlund

MonkeyJuggler

May 5, 2008, 6:49:01 PM5/5/08

Wondering what the point is.
Funny? No.
Random slagging off of someone I doubt you know at all? Why?
No doubt you and your mates are pissing yourselves laughing at in jokes -
as far as I can see there are certainly no jokes for the rest of us in
there.

Please try funny. The pics are good. Make the content worthwhile too.
Please?

Have fun.
Alan

brianpdailey

May 5, 2008, 9:44:22 PM5/5/08

I think this comic is funny.

But I also think it is mean.

And sexist.

But, It's hard to argue with a comic strip, so, I'll just say that I'm
always glad when there are more
women involved in juggling, if only for that fact that I'm less likely to
hear men I don't know very well
talking about women as unworthy, objects, or 'bitches' or whatever. But,
(Elias or whoever) don't take
thats as any call for censorship. If any thing the comic reminds me of a
frequent (and for me)
uncomfortable reality. I really don't know Laura any better than the
subjects of the comic, and
certainly am not claiming to speak for her.

As far as the comic goes, I look forward to the next instalment.

Hydrophidian

May 5, 2008, 10:34:42 PM5/5/08
I thought it was pretty funny, personally.

I also really liked the renegade joke.

-Rico

MasterKatra42

May 5, 2008, 10:46:49 PM5/5/08

Now THERE'S a can of worms not worth opening!

~Joe Showers

Jason Perry

May 6, 2008, 4:39:41 AM5/6/08
MonkeyJuggler wrote:

> elias wrote:
> > THE JUGGLING CRIB
> Wondering what the point is.
> Funny? No.

I've been wondering since the inception of this project whether I was the
only one who didn't find them funny. Obviously not!

Still, it seems like other people are somehow extracting humour from the
void, so good luck to you and your project.

Jason.

female...@yahoo.com

May 6, 2008, 3:50:27 PM5/6/08

Personally I thought it was really funny, and quite true!

> MonkeyJuggler wrote:
>
> Random slagging off of someone I doubt you know at all? Why?

Hypocrite! You're perfectly happy to slag off people you don't know in
your convention and show reviews.

martyq

May 6, 2008, 5:25:15 PM5/6/08

Wow!! You guys are the coolest! Juggling dvds,blogs, comic
strips,reviews,first hand look into "juggling culture" whatever that
means. Yes,you guys are the best of the best. Now, with all that knowledge
if one of you could just figure out a way to make a living with juggling
you could each have your own flat!

jo gazab

May 6, 2008, 6:33:57 PM5/6/08
> Now, with all that knowledge
> if one of you could just figure out a way to make a living with juggling
> you could each have your own flat!

Would that mean more comic strips for us by each one of them?

Jay Gilligan

May 7, 2008, 5:28:25 AM5/7/08
well hedlund- i guess we all see now clearly just exactly how long that
lasted...

dwergje

May 7, 2008, 8:11:28 AM5/7/08
> verry nice
KEEP ON DoING It ,

wim

elias

May 7, 2008, 10:08:29 AM5/7/08

So it seems like some of you guys didn't like the comic. I draw the
conclution that you don't fully understand it or that you like Laura too
much to see the humor and irony in it.
If you don't know who Reeses2150 is and if you haven't watched the show,
or the video, of Laura and her friend talking about how male jugglers
looks at female jugglers, it's kind of hard to understand the comic strip.
It's in the end of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk15RCVwKQM

But I agree. The strip is sexist and we are assholes.

PS. I can do 9 balls Laura

martyq

May 7, 2008, 10:59:58 AM5/7/08

You have to much free time. Go make some designs with
rings and boxes. More club traps!!

Bekah.Smith

May 7, 2008, 11:41:08 AM5/7/08

> You have to much free time.

Can one juggler really say that to another?...

Jason Perry

May 7, 2008, 3:02:52 PM5/7/08
elias wrote:

> elias wrote:
> >
> > THE JUGGLING CRIB
> > http://www.informatik.umu.se/~svph0214/index.php?page=projects&proj=tjc
> > New strip every monday
> >
> > Feel free to give feedback either here or at eliashedlund AT gmail DOT com
>
> So it seems like some of you guys didn't like the comic. I draw the
> conclution that you don't fully understand it or that you like Laura too
> much to see the humor and irony in it.

I'm not sure who this post is aimed at since you have replied to your own,
original post. However, I posted that I didn't find the strip funny, so
let me just expand a little.

First & foremost, I wasn't commenting just on the Laura episode; I meant
that I hadn't found any of the episodes funny. This is not a criticism of
your work, but just my own personal viewpoint. Personally I find Peter
Cook, Steven Wright and Demetri Martin wonderfully funny, but I wouldn't
expect everyone to share my viewpoint. The same will be true of your comic
(or just about everything else in the world) - some people will love it,
some people will hate it, some people couldn't give a monkeys about it. If
you're going to put your work into the public eye, you have to accept this.

Talking about this particular episode, I don't know Laura at all, so I'm
certainly not being over protective of her. You may well be correct in
your first conclusion that I don't fully understand it...

> If you don't know who Reeses2150 is and if you haven't watched the show,
> or the video, of Laura and her friend talking about how male jugglers
> looks at female jugglers, it's kind of hard to understand the comic strip.
> It's in the end of this video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk15RCVwKQM

So here is one of the potential 'problems' of your comic strip. If you're
going to base your material on a youtube video that only 120 people have
watched, how can you expect the majority of your target audience to get
it? If you want your strip to be more widely understood, and hence
possibly better appreciated, you need to make the subject material more
widely known. Of course, you may be happy just to amuse the subset of the
120 people who have watched the video, and also have the same sense of
humour as you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're going to produce
something that is appreciated by 'the masses', you can't base it on
material that nobody knows about, and you certainly can't blame your
target audience for not knowing about it!

Jason.
--
btw, I've watched the video now; It didn't make me find the comic strip
any funnier, and I now hate you for making me watch such a dull video ;-)

EddJones

May 7, 2008, 3:36:50 PM5/7/08

I'm in that video! :D

Laura Ernst

May 7, 2008, 4:55:50 PM5/7/08

So, I feel like I should comment on this. I didn't really think this was
funny. For the few people that knew the reference, it may have been. But
for those that hadn't seen the renegade show, I'm sure it came across as
sexist and mean. Which I really hope was not the intention. For renegade
show at NYC I did ask Richard if it was ok with him that I made that joke
about him. He said it was fine; if he hadn't agreed I never would have
left it in the script.

The sad part is that I've heard those kinds of comments about more than
one female performer- juggler or other. There aren't that many female
jugglers to begin with and it's not encouraging to hear this kind of talk,
joking or not. I put a lot of thought and work into what I do and I hope
that you guys enjoy watching it. I'm always open to comments about my
juggling, and I don't want to censor anyone, but I really didn't feel like
this comic was appropriate. I'm worried about the people that may read it
that have not heard of me or the renegade skit I did and will make
assumptions. I'm a bit surprised that more people seemed to get stirred up
about a couple jokes that Rhys said at RIT (Rhys is awesome by the way)
than this comic. I guess it's different when it's directed at one person.
I think the comic strip is a great idea and I'll keep reading it just as
long as my boobs stay out of it.

GLF00

May 7, 2008, 5:13:27 PM5/7/08
Laura Ernst wrote:

> I'm a bit surprised that more people seemed to get stirred up
> about a couple jokes that Rhys said at RIT (Rhys is awesome by the way)
> than this comic. I guess it's different when it's directed at one person.

Are you referring to me, Laura? If so, it was not my intent to make it
appear that Rhys' jokes irritated me but that I don't mind this because it
was only directed at you. In fact, I was very irritated/angry when I saw
this, because I consider it an unnecessary and ungentlemanly piece of
slander. However, I decided not to say anything about it because I didn't
figure it was worth stirring things up when you yourself seemed to be just
ignoring it.

elias

May 7, 2008, 5:43:47 PM5/7/08

Well, It wasn't my intention to blame the viewers for not understanding
it. More that I realized, exactly as you've pointed out, that it only
might be enjoyed by those 120 people. So I was just trying to explain
where it all came from. And of course people have diffrent kind of humor...

But in the end I guess the comic isn't aimed towards jugglers but towards
"internet jugglers" ie. jugglers who is following what's happening in the
juggling world and on the internet. Though I think there will always be
many inside jokes that may only be understod by me and maybe 6 other
people.

Thank's for the feedback

/ Elias Hedlund

Laura Ernst

May 7, 2008, 6:58:43 PM5/7/08

I was referring to that thread, yes. Just surprises me the things that get
people worked up. Not referring to you in particular. I wanted to wait a
bit before I said something, if anything at all, because of the content.
It makes me wish I had thicker skin.

Viveca

May 7, 2008, 10:56:50 PM5/7/08
GLF00 wrote:

> > this, because I consider it an unnecessary and ungentlemanly piece of
> > slander. However, I decided not to say anything about it because I didn't
> > figure it was worth stirring things up when you yourself seemed to be just
> > ignoring it.
>
> > Laura Ernst wrote:
> > >
> It makes me wish I had thicker skin.

I was very surprised to hear that any of you think this reflected on Laura
at all. Also, sexist characters do
not sexist material create. I read it as making fun of the speakers not
the subject.

Viveca (female and feminist)

GLF00

May 7, 2008, 11:13:41 PM5/7/08
Viveca wrote:

> I was very surprised to hear that any of you think this reflected on Laura...

*sigh* Sometimes I think people are bent on misunderstanding my posts.
;-) When you say that something "reflects" on a person, you are saying
that it shows something about them. I never said that the comic
"reflected" on Laura. I said (in slightly different words) that it
insulted/bashed her.

GLF00

May 7, 2008, 11:16:15 PM5/7/08
Laura Ernst wrote:

> I was referring to that thread, yes. Just surprises me the things that get
> people worked up. Not referring to you in particular. I wanted to wait a
> bit before I said something, if anything at all, because of the content.
> It makes me wish I had thicker skin.

I realize that in that case you are talking to several people, but sorry
for my part in making/letting you feel that people care to stick up
for/get riled about general issues and not a personal insult to you. Like
I said, I really felt like letting Hedlund, Peden, etc. have it, but it
seemed like you were just going to let it sink into oblivion so I decided
not to counteract that by posting.

Ewano

May 8, 2008, 8:17:19 AM5/8/08
elias wrote:

> So it seems like some of you guys didn't like the comic.

The comic is OK. I like it because it gives me a little perspective on
some jugglers I've not met. I prefer your furby though..

Ewano - who is quite glad that the renegade vid came to his attention - it
was quite funny.

elias

May 8, 2008, 10:13:53 AM5/8/08

So do I. But I guess that's up to the viewers them self to decide.

/ Elias Hedlund

Reeses2150

May 8, 2008, 3:17:21 PM5/8/08

After everyone's already commented about how sexist the strip is, I feel a
little awkward with saying that I found the comic funny. I guess I did
because I knew all the backstory, and all of the information relating to
the joke.

I can see how if someone hadn't seen the renegade performance (either on
youtube or live), and didn't know what Jugglers On Juggling was, how this
would seemed to have really bad taste, and the commenting about the rack
was a bit bad, but the problem with me is that I also generate content, so
I can see how that comment was needed to setup the joke. I'm not saying
that justifies it, but without that setup, the punchline would be useless.

Comic strips are a tricky thing to get right, and they do usually have to
dance along the line of distasteful and insulting, but that's the nature
of the medium.

I'll still agree with everyone else that it was insulting, but not too
much that it isn't funny.

Richard "Trying to not get his virtual ass kicked on R.J." Kohut

haffnium72

May 8, 2008, 5:01:05 PM5/8/08
Reeses2150 wrote:
> Richard "Trying to not get his virtual ass kicked on R.J." Kohut

*Goes out to buy some super silent ninja shoes with the special shuriken
pockets*

Bekah.Smith

May 8, 2008, 11:11:03 PM5/8/08

> After everyone's already commented about how sexist the strip is, I feel a
> little awkward with saying that I found the comic funny. I guess I did
> because I knew all the backstory, and all of the information relating to
> the joke.

Maybe it was sexist, but I think it was justified in two ways. First of
all, they were making fun of themselves for being sexist. Secondly, the
comic was in retaliation to a Renegade routine which seemed really sexist
towards men.

It seems to me that Laura basically lumped every juggling guy into one big
"awkward, pussy-crazy asshole" category, and then got offended when a few
guys decided to entertain that idea and play the role in a jest against
themselves. Moreover, other people got offended for her before they even
knew how she felt about it. I really don't understand this thread at all.

Also, not that it matters, I didn't find the Renegade routine or the comic
strip particularly funny.

- Bekah

Alan Thompson

May 9, 2008, 12:54:25 PM5/9/08
What the hell are you talking about? Laura is an excellent juggler.
--This comic is really embarrassing and annoying, for you.--

ErikAberg

May 9, 2008, 2:43:38 PM5/9/08
Alan Thompson wrote:

> What the hell are you talking about? Laura is an excellent juggler.
> --This comic is really embarrassing and annoying, for you.--

That愀 a really nice jester outfit in your little profile pic, it has the
colours of Sweden in it.

Marden117

May 9, 2008, 3:19:02 PM5/9/08
elias wrote:

> THE JUGGLING CRIB is a juggling related comic strip featuring some local
> jugglers here in Stockholm, Sweden. In the main cast you can watch bad
> imitations of jugglers like Elias Hedlund, Wes Peden, Peter Åberg and Jay
> Gilligan amongst others.*
>
> THE JUGGLING CRIB
> http://www.informatik.umu.se/~svph0214/index.php?page=projects&proj=tjc
> New strip every monday

This has nothing on the "Morning Glory" comic strips.

ManiacDrew

May 9, 2008, 8:12:13 PM5/9/08
Jason Perry wrote:
> btw, I've watched the video now; It didn't make me find the comic strip
> any funnier, and I now hate you for making me watch such a dull video

Ditto.

MD