Scottish - HLGCB / Review

Parit

Feb 3, 2008, 12:41:21 PM2/3/08
Just some random thoughts after an absolutely fantastic Scottish
convention (hopefully have time for a fuller review type thing later)

Highs - lots and lots!
-Conveyor belt juggling at Glasgow. that was a genius idea while waiting
for luggage. Lasted a whole 40 before being told off apparently conveyor
belt juggling is frowned upon Scotland...

- Fantastic jugglers there: walked in the door to see Sean Bleu doing
stuff with remote controlled rings. Lots of amazing jugglers.

- Juggling! Gravity was particularly low at 9.79 on Sunday, got good runs
with 6, 7 and (a bit of) 8 rings. Cracked 2 of my juggling goals for the
year!!

- Excellent travelling company, although his sarcasm may possibly have
infected me...

- Meeting old friends

Lows

- The green walking globe dissapearing when I had just gathered courage to
play with it, and not finding it for the renegade! ah well - next time...

Crush

- :-)

Goals
- 2 juggling goals for the year completed - yay

Bane
- nope!

Lots more thoughts and stories, but shall have to write them down later +
possibly a convention video (!). This was definitely one I'll remember for
a long time

What did everyone else make of it?

Parit

Parit

Feb 3, 2008, 12:41:26 PM2/3/08

Azrelle

Feb 3, 2008, 4:13:01 PM2/3/08
Parit wrote:

> Just some random thoughts after an absolutely fantastic Scottish
> convention (hopefully have time for a fuller review type thing later)

Just a quick note as I still have half the performers in my livingroom
playing with Kendamas and I am in fear for my ornaments!

I have just been told we are being carried on the online news feeds for
MSN, Tiscali and AOL and soon to be in The Herald tomorrow morning. Here's
a link to the footage:

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-gb&vid=e0854f8a-ae9c-41fb-a373-151ee4849872

__
Az
very very tired

fakoriginal

Feb 3, 2008, 5:59:04 PM2/3/08
Parit wrote some stuff:

Some quick thoughts since I should probably have been in bed an hour or so
ago:

Good stuff: getting there early and having time to chill (and enlighten)
people; the show; workshop working; actually doing a fair bit of juggling;
ceilidh; seeing the best bits of the renegade, missing the worst bits of
the renegade.

Not so good bits: chattering teenagers; chilly temperatures (both airborne
and watery); 3 hour delay on the way up and Sunday trains on the way back;
leaving (as always); videos (I will say no more).

I was having too much fun to take many photos, but what there are can be
found at http://www.fakoriginal.com/fak's_fotos/Scottish_2008/index.html

fak

MonkeyJuggler

Feb 4, 2008, 9:16:35 AM2/4/08
Well I had just the best time. Thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Highs: Public show: Pretty much all the acts were fantastic. Bonus
points for Sean Blue (astonishing stuff) and particularly for Belgian
Martin for his first ever jugcon show which was superb; well
choreographed, well paced, technically hard stuff and with barely a drop
(I think he only had 1). Bloody marvellous.

The renegade had some good stuff as well as some of the more usual dross
(yes pirates, hang your heads in shame at your drunken antics - wasn't
funny, wasn't understandable, wasn't worth your bother; I hope you enjoyed
the hangovers and the gradual realisation that you made utter tits of
yourselves in front of an audience).

The ceilidh was a giggle too and made me even more aware of just how unfit
I am.

Lows: the pirates (embarrassing), the fact that Scotland really is a long
way to drive, wearing leaky shoes all weekend so had squishy wet feet the
whole time, Glaswegian takeaways - they all seemed rubbish.

Goal: Juggle. Yay I actually did some (about 10 mins in total).

Crush: someone

Surprise: Martin in the show.

In short if this is the standard of festivals for the year ahead then I'm
going to have a fantastic year. Major thanks to Az and the others who
organised.

Put me down for pre-reg for next year.

Have fun.
Alan (aka PhysioMonkey)

The Void

Feb 4, 2008, 9:19:03 AM2/4/08
Parit wrote:
> Just some random thoughts after an absolutely fantastic Scottish
> convention (hopefully have time for a fuller review type thing later)

Top times. My pics are at
http://www.tlmb.net/galleries/SJC2008/index.html

More later.

The Void
Re-leasing DHCP to get IJDb back.

Little Paul

Feb 4, 2008, 9:43:58 AM2/4/08
On 2008-02-03, Parit <par...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:
> Just some random thoughts after an absolutely fantastic Scottish
> convention (hopefully have time for a fuller review type thing later)

Highs
All the usual "catching up with friends" stuff, with added bonus of
Sean Blue and his standing ovation in the Renegade (well, it is *such*
a nice trick), Wes Peden being a ball of energy bouncing around the
Chinese takeaway, the dawning realisation of just how far Luke B
has come in the last couple of years, Matt Hall being Matt Hall.

Lows
The journey back to the hotel on the Friday night, bruised ribs from
being crammed upside down behind a radiator - which now hurt when
I cough, which I seem to be doing a lot today. Making all the little
mistakes I had made a note of avoiding during the show. Thanks everyone
for the feedback even though it was mostly confirming what I already
knew :-)

Oh, and the flight home. I had no choice but to fly late evening and
it sucks. Note to self: Glasgow airport has no food worth eating
once you've gone through security so get fed before getting frisked.

Crush
Hmm. Has to be Sean/Wes/Matt/Luke W all merged into one, for various
reasons. I want to take little bits of all of them, meld them
together, then dip the resulting super juggler in chocolate.

Special mention goes to Az for being generally ace, and for working
her socks off to keep everyone happy.

Bane
Crappy light and a lens that only does f4.5 at best. I really need
to sort out something a little brighter. Perhaps then I'll have a
bit more choice when it comes to updating photo-a-day when I get home.

Goal
Enjoy it - big fat tick!

Surprise
Spending more time club passing on Sunday than I've spent passing
all year. sub-surprises being:

- Making more progress with 8 club ultimates on singles than ever
despite having not tried it in well over a year (thanks Mamph!)

- Having 7 club 3 count feel like it was getting somewhere despite
my 3 count sucking mightily (thanks Martin!)

Thanks guys, I enjoyed myself the appropriate amount.

-Paul
--
paulseward.com - a photo a day for 2008
100jugglers.org - 100 pieces of signed juggling promotional material

Dave Tayleur

Feb 4, 2008, 10:15:15 AM2/4/08
Parit wrote:

I'm hijacking your hlgcb seeing as we did a lot of this together.

> Just some random thoughts after an absolutely fantastic Scottish
> convention (hopefully have time for a fuller review type thing later)
>
> Highs - lots and lots!
> -Conveyor belt juggling at Glasgow. that was a genius idea while waiting
> for luggage. Lasted a whole 40 before being told off apparently conveyor
> belt juggling is frowned upon Scotland...

Yup - there's good fun to be had with conveyor belts.

> - Fantastic jugglers there: walked in the door to see Sean Bleu doing
> stuff with remote controlled rings. Lots of amazing jugglers.

Yup again, although it did give me a bit of an inferiority complex
juggling in a room where the only other people juggling were you, Sean,
Matt hall and the real Luke

> - Juggling! Gravity was particularly low at 9.79 on Sunday, got good runs
> with 6, 7 and (a bit of) 8 rings. Cracked 2 of my juggling goals for the
> year!!
>
> - Excellent travelling company, although his sarcasm may possibly have
> infected me...

Thank you - the feeling is reciprocated, never forget sarcasm is the most
average form of wit.

On top of this for me there was the multiplex workshop with Matt Hall, who
changed my multiplex grip in the first couple of minutes i walked in, and
therefore improved my multiplexing ten fold - Thank you Matt.
Playing games, and the main juggling hall having a perfect surface for
snakeboarding.

> Lows

The only thing i can think of was that i felt i was finally ready for a 5
ball endurance, and it didn't happen.

> Crush

Anyone who came up and chatted to me (I tend to be a bit of an introvert,
so thanks to all of you). Also the girl who grabbed me for scat/scrat
(whatever it's called).

> Goals

didn't have time to think of any, so i guess i managed all of them - go
me!!!

> Bane
>
> Not getting Parits gladiator victory on video for him (sorry fella) - can
anyone help me get this for him??

All in all I just had a superb time, thank you organizers, thank you
everyone.
Dave

lynne

Feb 4, 2008, 10:16:32 AM2/4/08
Parit wrote:

> Just some random thoughts after an absolutely fantastic Scottish
> convention ...

Wicked stuff, well worth the long drive up.

There is just something about the mix of people that seems to create a
good atmosphere - ages/experience/attitude(or lack of it) - not sure what,
but it works.

What makes a convention special for me is a higher proportion of those
quirky 'happenings' or stupid ideas that somehow take off and this one had
those aplenty.

Some that I remember:

Bashing trays off of Ewan's head.
Seeing peoples' faces when they looked at the banarrot/carrana.
The guy going to scratch his head and then suddenly finding that he was
holding a balloon.
Mike's fizzy pop jamboree.
The sheer glee with which Marco and Jeroen embraced kilts and Ceilidh.
The spontaneous, silent/physical or one word speed gags in the kitchen
with lots of different people.

Some other pleasant surprises/experiences:

Sleeping really well.
Finding a fantastically warm shower on the second day (after the cold 1st
one).
Old friends, unexpected familiar faces, nice new people.
Coming and going at just the right points during the renegade.
Seeing Martin on stage.
Indoor picnics

Lynne
Bruised but mellow

Little Paul

Feb 4, 2008, 10:19:09 AM2/4/08
On 2008-02-04, Dave Tayleur <dtay...@yahoo.com.nospam.com> wrote:

> Also the girl who grabbed me for scat

Which reminds me, I want to see the video of Matt hall watching *that*
video.

Little Paul

Feb 4, 2008, 10:22:27 AM2/4/08
On 2008-02-04, lynne <grang...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:

> Seeing peoples' faces when they looked at the banarrot/carrana.

Which has just reminded me of the expression on Wes' face when he
worked out that the noise which had woken him up on Sunday morning
as a didgeridoo.

Confusion mixed with disgust melting into realisation that it wasn't
going to stop. Priceless.

The Void

Feb 4, 2008, 10:35:30 AM2/4/08
The Void wrote:
> Top times. My pics are at
> http://www.tlmb.net/galleries/SJC2008/index.html
>
> More later.

More now:

My first SJC, and I had a great time. Drove up on Friday with Lynne & Rob
(Thanks Lynne for driving
the bulk of it), and arrived early evening to find the hall thronging with
the eager beavers, and the
easer geezers. Bagged crash space early, and later realised that that pipe
was the waste pipe from
upstairs. Oops. Thank goodness for earplugs, which ensured I got *just*
enough sleep not to be
grumpy through the weekend.

Great to meet up with old friends from far and wide, and meet a few new
ones too. I really enjoyed
running the kendama workshop with The Man Matt Hall - we both learnt
somethings during it, and
hopefully so did the attendees! Roll on the BKC - interest is rising... I
failed to film Tom or Matt
pulling any of their knockout tricks, but I did get about 15 seconds of
Donald freestyling though.... :-)

Playing with my new camera was fun - it's the first time I've ever managed
to get any decent show
pics. I will have to read the manual v soon though, instead of relying on
Auto setting all the time.

Lows were Matt Black not coming when I'd heard he was, no coffee at the
daytime site, drunkenness
sometimes seeming to be an end in itself, and there not being enough time
in the weekend.

All out weighed by the pluses though: Beating TheRealLuke at speed cubing,
Buddy Holly on the radio
on the drive home ("The sun is up, the sky is blue, there's not a cloud to
spoil the view....." - Yeah,
right Buddy, nice one.), Kiss Me Goodnight Sergeant Major, hot showers,
Wes' 5 club endurance finish,
general chatting and daftness, nibbles (and nibbles), Luke B's ping pong
stuff being much better than
I'd imagined, and ditto most of renegade. The Real Renegade ('RRRRAYY!!!).
Pink bicycles (Thanks Az!
:-D ) . Oh, and I think there might have been a show at some point... it
might have been quite good....
;-)

Thanks so much Az, Miles and other organisers.

Next stop Chocfest....

The Void
Hoping SJC will be ongoing, and that he'll make it to another one.

The Void

Feb 4, 2008, 10:55:03 AM2/4/08
Azrelle wrote:
> > Just some random thoughts after an absolutely fantastic Scottish
> > convention (hopefully have time for a fuller review type thing later)
>
> Just a quick note as I still have half the performers in my livingroom
> playing with Kendamas and I am in fear for my ornaments!
>
> I have just been told we are being carried on the online news feeds for
> MSN, Tiscali and AOL and soon to be in The Herald tomorrow morning. Here's
> a link to the footage:

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-gb&vid=e0854f8a-ae9c-41fb-a373-151ee4849872

Excellent stuff, I don't know who this "Ruth Elliott" fellow is, but that
was a nice commentary for the
strags. Good work sir. Can anyone rip the flv please?

The Void
ReBooted (Passed in)

jani

Feb 4, 2008, 12:02:57 PM2/4/08
Little Paul wrote:
> On 2008-02-04, Dave Tayleur <dtay...@yahoo.com.nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>> Also the girl who grabbed me for scat
>
> Which reminds me, I want to see the video of Matt hall watching *that*
> video.

You invite someone from overseas and then you make him watch yucky
videos? Did you tell him it is of two females and half a diabolo?[1]

You horrible, horrible people.

jani

[1] I'm just guessing here.
--
My Photographic Diary:
http://www.janikyllonen.com/

Little Paul

Feb 4, 2008, 12:29:17 PM2/4/08
On 2008-02-04, jani <givenname...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You invite someone from overseas and then you make him watch yucky
> videos?

I don't. Mini did.

I did however have a hand in inviting him over and then teaching him
a game called "wanker" which he lost at. Twice.

<holds two hands up to his forehead in a W formation>

> You horrible, horrible people.

When was it you were coming over again? ;-)

Ewano

Feb 4, 2008, 1:02:55 PM2/4/08
The Void wrote:

> Can anyone rip the flv please?

Check your mailbox..

Ewano - assuming The Void can convert and flv to something useful, but
also wondering how long it's going to be till the mythical footage of the
BBU 2007 show finally manages to materialise on the intermeweb...

Ewano

Feb 4, 2008, 1:06:19 PM2/4/08
Azrelle wrote:

> I have just been told we are being carried on the online news feeds for
> MSN, Tiscali and AOL and soon to be in The Herald tomorrow morning. Here's
> a link to the footage:

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-gb&vid=e0854f8a-ae9c-41fb-a373-151ee4849872

Nice commentary, you done good lass.. I for one had an absolute top time -
so much so I'm actually going to write a HLGCB for it..

Ewano - wondering how long he can make the high..

Luke Burrage

Feb 4, 2008, 1:43:45 PM2/4/08
Parit wrote:

> Just some random thoughts after an absolutely fantastic Scottish
> convention (hopefully have time for a fuller review type thing later)

Highs:
Martin in the show, Luke in the show, Wes in the show, Marco and Jerone in
the show, Sean Blue in the show, "the act after Wes" in the show, Toms in
the show, Sarah in the show... it was quite a good show!

A renegade that was surprisingly good! Wes doing the soundtrack for Sean
was great, and Sean's triple ball spin in one hand curl at the end had the
audience on their feet. I had fun playing the music for the renegade, and
had fun performing some newish material (new for the uk for me) and it
going pretty well despite being slightly drunk and having no warmup at
all.

Hanging out, etc.

Convincing Miles to let Wes and I have another attempt at the 5 haggis
record and Wes finally getting a decent run at it.

Winning a prize in the raffle.

Getting so many people out in the 3 ball Simon Says with the same line
every single time.

Recording not just one but two podcast episodes with Matt Hall (coming
soon).

Much more besides.

Low:
Not sure... maybe feeling more hung over on Sunday morning than I felt
drunk on Saturday night. It didn't feel right.

Goal:
No goals.

Crush:
Sean Blue is currently at number one in my top ten jugglers of the year so
far.

Bane:
Nothing too bad comes to mind. Maybe Mini pissing about loudly during Sean
Blue's act.

Surprise:
A good renegade.

Also, I watched Sean Blue's forehead video and thought "Well, it looks
solid on video, but how solid can he do these tricks really?" Turns out
that ring throw to face balance looks far more solid than on the video. It
must be some kind of magic.

Luke

The Void

Feb 4, 2008, 2:42:02 PM2/4/08
Ewano wrote:
> > Can anyone rip the flv please?
> Check your mailbox..

No idea what you're talking about, but there is now a streaming and
downloadable mp4 here:
http://www.juggling.tv/vaults/view_video.php?viewkey=073bc11916c6c1de226b

> Ewano - assuming The Void can convert and flv to something useful, but
> also wondering how long it's going to be till the mythical footage of the
> BBU 2007 show finally manages to materialise on the intermeweb...

My footage was crap, so it won't.

The Void
Off out again.

jani

Feb 4, 2008, 3:21:15 PM2/4/08
Ewano wrote:
> Azrelle wrote:
>> I have just been told we are being carried on the online news feeds for
>> MSN, Tiscali and AOL and soon to be in The Herald tomorrow morning. Here's
>> a link to the footage:
>>

> http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-gb&vid=e0854f8a-ae9c-41fb-a373-151ee4849872
>
> Nice commentary, you done good lass..

It's funny when you have read someone's writings, seen their
photographs, seen photographs of them, seen video of them, and whatnot,
but you have never heard them speak. I suspect I'll have many more
sensations like these at Bungay, which will be fun.

Everybody can recognise me by my thick Finnish rally driver accent.
Think Marcus Grönholm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQhQSbe6fw&feature=related

jani, not really a cyber-stalker, honest...

Azrelle

Feb 4, 2008, 3:44:13 PM2/4/08
Little Paul wrote:

> On 2008-02-04, lynne <grang...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> > Seeing peoples' faces when they looked at the banarrot/carrana.
>
> Which has just reminded me of the expression on Wes' face when he
> worked out that the noise which had woken him up on Sunday morning
> as a didgeridoo.
>
> Confusion mixed with disgust melting into realisation that it wasn't
> going to stop. Priceless.

Which begs the question...

Exactly why were you looking into Wes's face when he woke up?

__
Az
Now selling footage from her shower....

marcobonisimo

Feb 4, 2008, 5:13:54 PM2/4/08
The Void wrote:

> Parit wrote:
> > Just some random thoughts after an absolutely fantastic Scottish
> > convention (hopefully have time for a fuller review type thing later)
>
> Top times. My pics are at
> http://www.tlmb.net/galleries/SJC2008/index.html

Lovely, nice pictures and really good to re-exerience this weekend. Thank
you all for the fantastic convention, especialy the orga-team and Graham
who took the time to drive us around Scotland this morning. What a
beautiful country do you people have.

A short HLGCB
High was the dance on saterday after another high, the show. An honour to
have been part of it. Another high was the whip cracking on friday night,
which I never did before. Cool was the club passing with Jeroen on friday
in Kinning Park.

Low, may be the temperature, but the snow was a high to me. Nothing
serious!

Goals were set during the convention. I'll buy a whip, I'll go to a
Brittish Convention one day, I'll try a little more ballspinning with the
small stageballs.

Crush, Sean with his three bal spinning on one hand. The five club
backcrosses juggled by Wes. Loch Lomond on monday morning ....

Bane... Beauf, nothing to mention here.

If anyone has nice pictures of Jeroen and me during the show, please send
them to me. And thanks again!

Marco

Miles Gould

Feb 4, 2008, 5:31:09 PM2/4/08
Dave Tayleur wrote:

> The only thing i can think of was that i felt i was finally ready for a 5
> ball endurance, and it didn't happen.

D'oh! Sorry, dude. It was on the list, along with some diabolo games, but
we were running out of time towards the end and so the last few games got
cut off. Really sorry about that, all you diabolists and five-ball
jugglers!

Miles.

GuyHeathcote

Feb 4, 2008, 7:00:36 PM2/4/08
Parit wrote:

> Highs - lots and lots!
> -Conveyor belt juggling at Glasgow. that was a genius idea while waiting
> for luggage. Lasted a whole 40 before being told off apparently conveyor
> belt juggling is frowned upon Scotland...

Ha! That brings back some memories. Maybe there are still one or two
people here that remember similar experiments when the 'Catch Airlines'
trip returned from the Gothenburg EJC (yes, I guess this is a long time
back...). As you might have expected, there was lots of juggling and
passing whilst riding on the conveyor. However, the funniest part -
something I'll never forget - was when someone simply sat on the belt and
let himself get carried through the backage hole at the end, arriving back
through on the other side a few minutes later. Up to that point, the
group had somehow avoided being told off, but riding right around turned
out to be a step too far.

Ewano

Feb 4, 2008, 10:18:52 PM2/4/08
jani wrote:

> It's funny when you have read someone's writings, seen their
> photographs, seen photographs of them, seen video of them, and whatnot,
> but you have never heard them speak. I suspect I'll have many more
> sensations like these at Bungay, which will be fun.

It's great to have new sensations! I'm looking forward to it.

> Everybody can recognise me by my thick Finnish rally driver accent.
> Think Marcus Grönholm:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQhQSbe6fw&feature=related

Having watched the video all the way to the end, I'm not so sure about
these new sensations...

Ewano - hoping that the last second of the clip is not the sensation Jani
was hinting at..

Ewano

Feb 5, 2008, 1:00:48 AM2/5/08
Parit wrote:

> What did everyone else make of it?

Well kids, I had an ACE time. So this might be a little long..

High (this is long, but these are all highs that stand out for me from the
general highness of the weekend):

Showing people how you are supposed to drive on snow covered roads.
Recognising a juggler in the pizza place before we even got to Kinning
park - and playing the vanishing pizza game.
Death by hugging on arrival.
Seeing Matt for the first time in too long - you know it Bro..
Flaming Disasters to start the night - a flaming mix of Sambuca and
Absinthe.
General drunken silliness sitting at the table.
Club balance Sean Blue arse obscurement tray manipulation combination
trick.
LP saying "I'm bloody stuck!".
Ten club trebla squeeze catches.
13 club 2 person 1 count on singles - next time it'll be super smooth.
Finding out we'd drunk everything.
Lights in the toilets.
Not having as bad a hang over as I should have had in the morning!
Double whips!
Juggler Positioning System - with Australian voice settings.
Tray and Kendama trick popping into my head - and me deciding to go with
it.
*Not* seeing Matt pulling any Kendama moves - especially the good ones.
4 wheel slides on a slick wheeled Streetboard.
Double whips again!
Silly 3 club passing with Sam.
Mixed showers proving that the SJC is a truly continental style convention.
German bread.
Donald Grant appearing and doing some crazy bonkers stuff with a Kendama.
Finding out that Luke (B) is really happy and doing well.
Sitting at the back of the audience with Matt and Luke - just going into
energy overdrive!
Martin!
Better ambient lighting conditions in the second half of the show.
Wes through the round window just after his routine.
Sarah totally rocking out and enjoying herself while doing it!
Sean being spellbindingly good and mesmerising the audience.
Luke (A) being the consummate professional.
Awesome "making girls cry - lots" and "tea bag throwing" super powers!
Food and tea.
Swapping stories in the pizza place with Matt and Luke.
Chilling out and downing a few Brewskies with the guys.
Dutch men in Kilts.
Stupid photos with Sean.
Mini moving the goal posts for Oli.
Enlightening the sensei to the art of British drinking games.
*THAT* trick.
Managing to hide from Matt and his camera for his morning antics.
Tray slapping head balances.
Luke (A), his girlie shoes and my qualification in shoe comfort
maximisation techniques.
The Grosse Pointe Blank quotes conversation - Me? Go G? On you? Never.
Heckling Simon when he told me to do things.
Winning a raffle prize and picking the thing Matt wanted so he couldn't
win it, but giving it to him anyway later on.
Food in Edinburgh on the way home and finding out by complete chance that
it would be with the same juggler from the pizza place!
Silly jokes in German and English on the way home.
Frank Sinatra doing it his way at midnight in my car at full volume and
everyone singing to the max!

Low:

Noticing the low energy from the audience during the first half of the
show, and seeing it knock LP from the start. Followed by Matt Hall opening
with a really good routine with high energy - but still bombing. Pretty
much every act in the first half was of good quality, but there was
nothing coming back from the audience. It must have been like performing
to a sponge..

Reasons - there were a few?

Poor stage lighting (best that could be done with what was available
though - so good job people).

Poor backdrop making the stage look HUGE and reflecting the light back
into the audience (I was told that the curtains were stuck - so yet again
good job people for working with what you had at your disposal).

Poor seating layout (it was a big hall, but the numbers were not big
enough to fill it properly in a ranked seating layout - maybe going for a
cabaret style layout or maybe having the seats a little closer together
and having some partitions at the sides would make it seem more cosy?)

Lots of ambient light in the audience taking the focus away from the stage
(luckily someone had the good sense to turn off as many sources of ambient
light in the venue during the interval - which seemed to make a difference)

Basically though that was my low point. There was one other, but I don't
feel like discussing it here.

Goal:

Catch up with lots of old friends and reaffirm the friendships that I felt
I had let slip over the last few years. In most cases that was a check -
though I really wanted to spend more time with a few people that were
either too busy organising, or I just never seemed to get the chance to
hang out with them.

Crushes (I'm just listing the people in any order - if you want to know
why you'll have to ask me):

Bro - you know it..
Sarah "cry baby" Biskup
Wes
Mamph
LP
Megan
Luke (A)
Sean
Diana
Marco and Jeroen
The woman with the streetboard.
Az
Frank Sinatra!
Me..

Bane:

I don't have a bane - so I'll go with my unbane! I was so glad that I had
a nice warm sleeping bag, a silk liner to go in it, a nice thick
thermarest and some professionally moulded ear plugs. I slept great!

Surprise (cause I actually like having the surprise bit):

Finding out how Marco met his brother!

Ok, so that's it. I had a lot of fun, and I really hope that it all
happens again next year.

Ewano - looking at his burn and thinking it might be time to switch to
some kind of white chocolate liqueur that doesn't burn.

_mcp_

Feb 5, 2008, 6:32:09 AM2/5/08
Well it was a great juggling convention.

Organisation was immense for a new team. Good job for everyone involved.
The only mild issue I had was the lack of nutella at breakfast, and even
that was swiftly remedied. Cos I've only got five more years when I can
sanely eat nutella for breakfast, so i better get on it.

MonkeyJuggler I have to thank for giving me some advice, even thou both my
flatmate and I forgot his present. I'll get it to him via post or at the
BJC. Advice was not greatly received, thou I've been trying it out for the
past couple of days and I think that the dedication I've put into
juggling/manipulation has benefits other than the obvious. (amazingly.
stupid meg.) So hopefully I'll be able to make good use of it, even thou
it wasn't very easy advice to take. Thanks again!

Pirate girls were funny for a short while. Then after a while the pirate
based heckles were funny. Thankfully it was at the start of the renegade
thou, otherwise it could have prematurely ended it. Which would have been
bad, cos it was a good renegade. Herve was behind me getting excitable
with some really abusive heckles, meanwhile the renegade itself was pretty
well organised, chairs, music, etc. It ended at promptly, instead of
tailing off... which was good, even thou I was a little disappointed at
the time.

So:

LOW: Realising it was stupid, very stupid to think that it would be
'alright' to take along a bed roll instead of an airbed, because it was
lighter and less hassle. Badddddddd mistake. Also: forgetting half my
costume. The half I wasn't wearing when I left my flat - can anybody say
dumbass?

HIGH: not dying on stage. Close but not quite. I really have to learn to
work out this issues I have before going on stage, and not just work on
all the tricks. live and learn...

Talking to mini, thanks for the words of encouragement. And the funny
stories.

Teaching Andy. It's nice to have somebody interested in learning contact
staff.

Showing some lame tricks with a club to Wes and him liking them, and
getting some tricks back from him that I could learn with a club and a
staff. It does appear like I'm a hopeless fangirl. :s

Watching Sam do ball and club juggling / manipulation. The boy has got
very good.

Sean blue's professionalism and amazing routine. Yet another big reminder
that dance training is immensely important.

Talking to the American, Danny/Daniel. He giggled like a schoolgirl every
time he said the G word.

BANE: none in particular.

GOALS: get through my performance without having to give up on any of the
tricks. That kinda worked, I mean some could have been better... but well,
next (?) time...
Do some practise - check.
Do some staff juggling - FAIL. good height for it, but because of space /
distractions, it never occurred to me.
Do some training on friday: Check. shame we missed the last tube back,
after stopping training early due to trying to get the last tube.

CRUSH: Wes's continued enthusiasm for his art, Sean Blue's control of his
body and of his props, The way Sam's integrated movement into his
juggling.

Big thanks to the organisers again, for giving up their juggling time to
do organisationary things, which they did very well. Excellent new venue,
excellent show venue, jawdropping acts, tasty foodstuffs, and fan heaters.

Luke Wilson

Feb 5, 2008, 9:40:59 AM2/5/08
OK, here my first ever (posted) HLGCB: I will even try to stay old-school,
and attempt to give single answers for each one (!)...

-----------------------

High: Gross Pointe Blank, especially during Luke B's attempts to record
Matt Hall.

Low: The "Rubik's" Cube passes. Especially when people would mix them and
place them in my field of vision. Also see The Void's "High" (although in
defense, I find the phrase "speed cubing" somewhat spurious when applied
to those cheap Chinese pieces of tat).

Goal: Do a good show. Personally not so happy, but people seemed to like
it.

Crush: Lisa Hall, for Skype chat deadpan comments and killer timing.

Bane: Wes Peden, for missing his Monday morning class. And for calling me
out on my comment "the 5 club flash double-pirouette only counts if you
make 100 clean catches of backcrosses in the same run after".

-----------------------

And of course, a huge thank-you to all who made it possible, especially
Azrelle (for wholesome organisational goodness, tea, portraits, driving
etc etc). And a big thanks to Martin too, for sharing Ruth with us over
the weekend.

Best regards,
(The Real) Luke (all nostalgic for the old Brit-scene..)

Miles Gould

Feb 5, 2008, 9:55:51 AM2/5/08
_mcp_ wrote:

> Well it was a great juggling convention.
Yay!

> Organisation was immense for a new team. Good job for everyone involved.

Thank you! *beams*

> HIGH: not dying on stage. Close but not quite. I really havepe to learn to

> work out this issues I have before going on stage, and not just work on
> all the tricks. live and learn...

It was a great act, though a lot of us were hoping to see something like
your act from last year: sure, you were on after Wes, but you didn't need
to let it intimidate you so much! Still, you showed us some of that at the
Renegade.

Hmmm. I wonder if my contact juggling would get any better if I painted
everything orange?

> Watching Sam do ball and club juggling / manipulation. The boy has got
> very good.

Seconded. So smooth...

> Talking to the American, Danny/Daniel. He giggled like a schoolgirl every
> time he said the G word.

The G word?

> Big thanks to the organisers again, for giving up their juggling time to
> do organisationary things, which they did very well. Excellent new venue,
> excellent show venue, jawdropping acts, tasty foodstuffs, and fan heaters.

Hah! I knew it was worth passing on the Asda value food that we've served
in previous years :-)

Miles.

lisaa...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2008, 10:28:33 AM2/5/08
Wow. Kinda cool to be someone's crush at a festival when I was not
even at the festival. ;-) I'm honored!

Lisa (who was there in spirit and IM)

MonkeyJuggler

Feb 5, 2008, 10:52:30 AM2/5/08
_mcp_ wrote:

> MonkeyJuggler I have to thank for giving me some advice, even thou both my
> flatmate and I forgot his present. I'll get it to him via post or at the
> BJC. Advice was not greatly received, thou I've been trying it out for the
> past couple of days and I think that the dedication I've put into
> juggling/manipulation has benefits other than the obvious. (amazingly.
> stupid meg.) So hopefully I'll be able to make good use of it, even thou
> it wasn't very easy advice to take. Thanks again!

Thanks I think.
I'll be at the BJC for sure but presents not mandatory. Mind you I'll not
sniff at a pressie.

Hope the info will be helpful.

Have fun.
Alan

Sarah Biskup

Feb 5, 2008, 12:15:54 PM2/5/08
Right, here goes what I can remember.

Highs:
Snowball fights in the street at 5am.
Being in the show and being slightly less nervous than usual, to the
extent that i actually enjoyed some of it, also the fact that it seemed to
go down pretty well.
Watching the bits of the show that i got to see, especially wes and the
acro(both the actual show and Val doing it solo in the tech rehersal)
Chilli vodka and alcohol in general
Loads of cool people coming up north for the first time.
Matt Hall's siteswap workshop.
The ceilidh, and having people to dance with.
Matt getting in a few hours early and Dan the american staying at mine a
for couple of days after, therefore making the convention a little bit
longer:)
Finally catching up on sleep today and being in bed till 2
Ewan making me cry

Low's:
Ewan making me cry. I think this was a mix of lack of sleep, adrenaline
(never again will I laugh at people who break down on pop idol) and chilli
vodka, which tends to make your eyes water anyway.
Dunno, I quite liked the tesco value food and there didn't seem to be very
much around this year, especially for the veggies
Cold showers (apparently some were warm but mine bloody well wasn't)
Coldness in general although it wasn't really too bad

Goal:
Not fuck up too much in the show. I managed to get through most of the
bits I really wanted to so I'm happy with that.
Actually enjoy the convention, definately check
The usual, get drunk, do some juggling, learn some new stuff, all check

Crush:
Wes Peden
Matt Hall
Az, Miles, Ciorstaidh, nice one folks
Lynne, for just being cool
Fak, Void, Physiomonkey etc. finally getting to a scottish

Bane:
This being the first Scottish i've been to that Holly wasn't at. And
Knowing she wasn't there for totally crappy and unfair reasons. And yes,
this is in severe danger of turning into another rant so I'll go now:)

Don't think that's all of it, I might write more later if I can remember
and be bothered. Anyone counting days till the british yet?

Matt Hall

Feb 5, 2008, 1:22:52 PM2/5/08
Short and Sweet People:

High: Beating Mini (once)

Low: Losing to Mini (twice)

Goal: Beat Mini next time

Crush: Mini, for being surprisingly gentle with the clubs...

Bane: Mini and his less than crisp Look Over There style that gave me
fits

Surprise: That Mini didn't actually ram the club up my arse...

That's it.

Matt Hall

Feb 5, 2008, 2:47:12 PM2/5/08
On Feb 5, 10:22 am, Matt Hall <juggle_sen...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> That's it.

Okay, you had to know that was NOT going to be it. Not even close.
Here's the real deal (and it's LONG):

Highs:

Backgammon and Kendama in Ruth's bedroom with Mini and fakoriginal (Or
is your name.....?)

Kendama Jam I with Tom and Void on Friday night (Void with Kung Fu
style endings and Tom blasting)

Diabolo Jam with Duncan and Dave Barnes on Friday night

Club session with Sam V. on Saturday morning (thanks for the help with
the club swinging!)

Kendama Jam II with Void in the workshop (More converts to the
cause...and....damn your eyes Ewan!)

Multiplex Workshop (seeing people really improve and get the technique
down)

Podcasting with Luke (finally! I really enjoyed seeing Luke's
notebooks as further proof of his passion for being a student of the
game)

Finding out the show was starting at 6:30 when I finished the podcast
at 6:00 and thought the show was starting at 6:00 and I was the first
act. (SAVED!!!!)

Doing the Atomic Dog routine reasonably well and certainly better than
the other three times I've done it. (hitting the final vertax genocide-
infinite suicide was the clincher--whoo hoo! That's where you got
that picture from LP!)

Watching the rest of the show with Luke and Ewano in the back (I
forgot about Wes in the window---classic! Pimp-0-liscious!)

The Show in General. So many acts had me smiling, cheering, and just
plain awestruck.

Walking back to KP with LP and having a nice little chat

Take Out Fun with the lads (Luke, Ewan, and Mike)

Drinking and eating and talking smack downstairs after the show

The Ceilidh!!!!! Marco, Jeroen, Sam, Alice, Lynne and company are all
heroes! What a freakin' blast AGAIN!!! I'm addicted.

MC'ing the Renegade and having it go reasonably well. (Much kudos to
Luke for DJ flava and strong juggling sets, as well as to Sean and Wes
for rocking so much it's almost getting boring. Getting to see Sam V.
do her club routine finally. Being initiated into Wanker...how
special...oh! I lose again?! What a surprise?!!!??!!)

Drunk Dialing Lisa at 2am and telling her everything about the
festival and generally chatting for an hour

Getting to know Marco and Jeroen--Dutch convention is going to go
OFF! I'm bringing the t-shirts! These two are great performers and
great guys. Invite them to your festival now.

Actually getting to sleep in a private space on Saturday night and
sleeping well

Warm showers on Sunday!!!

Vertax workshop (hitting both the duicide and Tempei's body bounce on
the first try. Also, seeing people walk away with new tricks and the
confidence that it is doable)

Bounce workshop (having a smaller group, seeing people get it, and
James has major skills)

Ewan's gift

Sunday night at Ruth's place with Wes, Sean, Luke W. and Martin.
(Indian food, Parkour videos, professional photo portraits and
kendama--what's not to like?!?) "Finish your drink, Wes." Just
generally spending more time and getting to know these five very fine
individuals more...perfect.

Lows:

Not getting to see Donald Grant but for 30 seconds
Stressing about my music during tech
Stressing about being late to start the show
A crap 5 club endurance run
Getting knocked out of Simon Says on Luke's Jedi Mind Trick (I have a
weak mind...)
Not finding Ewano in the morning (grrrrrrrr....I was too hung over to
make a real go of it)

Goals:

Catch up with everyone-check
Eat copious amounts of take away-check (with salt and vinegar on it)
Teach some quality workshops--check (NOTE: anyone reading this who
took my workshops, I would be VERY grateful to hear your comments and
critiques here or privately. I want to improve the workshops for the
future)
Not suck in the show--check
Dance the Ceilidh--check (Marco and Jeroen rule!)
Meet new people--check
Push the kendama envelope--check
Buy some funky crisps to show my students--check

Crushes:

Sarah B. for ball juggling burliness
Martin for the best first festival performance I have ever seen
Alice for fine whiskey and dance partnership
Sam V. for club style, dance partnership, and the whiskey on Jaffa
Cakes idea
Mini for sorting out my music, picking me up, and for just being
da man
Miles for being a super hard worker, bacon sandwich creator, and
good chap
Sean B. for always leaving me spellbound with his presentations of
the art
Luke B. for being patient during the podcast, and for lots of help
with Renegade
Ewano for being Ewan, and for agreeing that we should never again do
Look Over There
Luke W. for Grosse Point Blank (more later...) and for always
offering a good perspective on what it means to perform
Ruth for essentially making this the best Scottish ever. I was
doubtful at first that my last experience could be duplicated, much
less improved upon. No contest. You da woman.

Banes:

The beast suitcase--I'm throwing that freaking thing out
My own packing skills--You don't know where your limits are until you
have, without a doubt, exceeded them. This is the first festival that
I can remember where I was constantly looking for stuff, forgetting
stuff, and just being unorganized in general. Very not-the-teacher-
me.

Surprises:

Tom's skills with the kendama
The looks on peoples' faces when I offered them a handout during the
workshops
The energy (or lack of it) during the first half of the show on the
part of the crowd
Discovering Luke W.'s passion for GPB....and then finding my brother
from a different mother Ewan also reciprocated it!!! And that was
also my biggest high this weekend as well. Here's something for you,
Luke and Ewan.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119229/quotes
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/ludenbacher2/grossepointquotes.html
http://www.moviequotes.com/repository.cgi?pg=3&tt=107729

Mr. Newberry: I visualized you in a haze as one of those slackster,
flannel-wearing, coffee-house misanthropes I've been seeing in
Newsweek.
Marty: No no no, I went the other road. Six figures, doing business
with leadpipe cruelty, mercenary sensibility. You know ... sports,
sex, no real relationships.

Now, THAT's a HLGCBS!!!!!!!! Whew.....

much love to everyone,

matt

Dave Tayleur

Feb 5, 2008, 4:20:41 PM2/5/08
> Teach some quality workshops--check (NOTE: anyone reading this who
> took my workshops, I would be VERY grateful to hear your comments and
> critiques here or privately. I want to improve the workshops for the
> future)

Evening,
I went to the Multiplex workshop, within 5 minutes of walking in you
changed my grip and things improved 10 fold for me, so that kind of
rocked. More than that even with coming in late (my apologies) I think I
walked out having learnt at least 2 tricks in half an hour or so, and
understanding enough of how the patterns work to be confident that i can
nail a couple more with just a bit more practice.
I'm sorry i've not got any constructive criticism, I don't think anyone
has taught me that much in such a short space of time, which i find extra
impressive having missed the beginning and having to play catch up.
Well done you and thanks,
I'll stop sucking up now
Dave

Ewano

Feb 5, 2008, 8:45:49 PM2/5/08
Sarah Biskup wrote:

> Highs:
> Snowball fights in the street at 5am.

Damn, I forgot that one. Even after remembering it about three times and
making a mental note to remember it for later..

Ewano - hoping this memory loss thing is drink related and not a sign of
impending old age..

marcobonisimo

Feb 6, 2008, 3:54:26 AM2/6/08
Ewano wrote:
> Damn, I forgot that one. Even after remembering it about three times and
> making a mental note to remember it for later..
>
> Ewano - hoping this memory loss thing is drink related and not a sign of
> impending old age..

Funny you mention it, I really don't remember you drinking!

Marco

Ewano

Feb 6, 2008, 6:32:14 AM2/6/08
marcobonisimo wrote:

> Ewano wrote:
> > Damn, I forgot that one. Even after remembering it about three times and
> > making a mental note to remember it for later..
> >
> > Ewano - hoping this memory loss thing is drink related and not a sign of
> > impending old age..
>
> Funny you mention it, I really don't remember you drinking!

What you need young man is a healthy dose of respect for your elders..

Ewano - considering coming to the NJC this year. If only to teach some
young whipper snapper some old dogs tricks.

Daniel S.

Feb 6, 2008, 7:20:24 AM2/6/08
High:
Meeting loads of people who I would actually more than just consider being
friends with.
Learning some really ga... cool club manipulation stuff from Sam.
Learning words like "Chibbed"... listening to people from Glasgow speak in
general.
Couchsurfing with fellow jugglers (Sarah and Ania) before and after the
convention and getting full on
tours from both of them! If you live in/are visiting Edinburgh you gotta
check out the museum of
childhood toys and such.
this--->"hi mom! I'm really fuck'n drunk and this is Daniel. Nobody
really knows who he is, but he'll
be staying with us for a couple days"
About 5am watching people juggling and playing music realizing how lucky I
am.
Selling completely out of the siteswap posters i brought to the convention!
Wes and Sean's renegade. Emphasis on creative percussion.
Scored a date with a chick at a bar in like 5 minutes! :D

Low:
Thinking that I was going to an english speaking country and realizing
that I still can't eves drop on
peoples conversations in the street because wtf are they saying?
Getting up before 11am.
My grandfather died just 1 or 2 days before the festival :( but his
mother was from Scotland and had
the last name of Macsorley so I had a chance to go to Macsorley's pub in
Glasgow and they gave me a
free t-shirt :) so maybe that's a high.

Goal:
Learn some... fancy one club stuff. ;)
check.

Crush:
Meg, Sam, and Finn.
Y'all are truely amazing!

Bane:
Not taking enough advantage of the pirate renegade for heckling practice.

Surprise:
I liked Glasgow slightly more than Edinburgh.

thanks to all the organizers!... Ruth, Kirsti (sp?), MIles

Sarah Biskup

Feb 6, 2008, 8:05:05 AM2/6/08
Daniel S. wrote:
> this--->"hi mom! I'm really fuck'n drunk and this is Daniel. Nobody
> really knows who he is, but he'll
> be staying with us for a couple days"
Not sure that my memory's too trustworthy on this one but I'm sure it was
more along the lines of "Ciorstaidh and Miles say can this guy stay here.
I don't really know what's happening cos I'm too drunk so can you talk to
them about it?" and I'm pretty certain i didn't call her mom:)

> Scored a date with a chick at a bar in like 5 minutes! :D
Yeah, that was pretty impressive. Did anyone actually notice that he was
talking to her at all?
Which reminds me of yet another high:
Being asked if I wanted his number by a random german (possibly austrian)
guy in a pub. Not because he actually wanted to give me it but due to his
utter confusion as to why I had drunkenly accosted him and was showing him
the list of contacts on my phone in some mad belief that he might care
("look, this is all my friends, and they're really nice people!")
Also the statement "Hey, my name's (insert something thoroughly
unpronouncable)...but you can call me Joe."

mattds

Feb 6, 2008, 8:42:31 AM2/6/08
Sarah Biskup wrote:

> Daniel S. wrote:
> > Scored a date with a chick at a bar in like 5 minutes! :D
> Yeah, that was pretty impressive. Did anyone actually notice that he was
> talking to her at all?

Yes, he was talking to her while I was still there!

Highs:
* The show (obviously)
* The renegade (and particularly the show performers in it, and Luke B's
ping-pong)
* Ewano making Sarah cry (this isn't as bad as it sounds, I promise)
* Seeing people again, even if I only saw them a few weeks ago at BoB
* The 4am juggling session I had on Sunday morning
* The Uisge Beatha random music session after the convention with Miles,
Ciorstidh, Sarah and Daniel.

Lows:
* Wondering around like a zombie on Sunday after I woke up, failing to
even manage to keep 3 clubs
in the air
* Failing on devilstick propeller in the games
* The fact that my 4 clubs seems to be getting worse, not better
* Legs turning to jelly when doing the renegade

Goals:
* Do some passing - check
* Try some new devilstick stuff and see what you could learn - check
* Enjoy myself - check
* Try and get better at 4 clubs - ... :-(

Crush:
* TheRealLuke for being generally awesome, and spending lots of time
helping me figure out what I
wanted to do on stage
* Sarah for looking after me, and making sure I wasn't wondering the
streets of glasgow alone when I
got to Scotland
* Az for being Az, and having organised a fantastic convention
* Miles similarly
* Sean Blue for being utterly amazing with every single prop he picked up!
* Matt Hall for, well, being Matt Hall

Bane:
* *brrrrr* waking up in the cold.
* The lighting at Bellahouston not being quite the same as the natural
light at the Science Centre.

Surprise:
* Finding that lots of people I see at lots of conventions had never been
to the Scottish before.

Cheers

Matthew

_mcp_

Feb 6, 2008, 10:49:21 AM2/6/08

Well if you want it sooooner send an address. (I just sat up straighter in
my chair. For the twentieth time today.) So yeah, thanks for the advice.

Azrelle

Feb 6, 2008, 10:54:56 AM2/6/08
I thought I'd hang back a little, seeing as I was one part of the
organising team, before I added my thoughts to the thread. This has been
the first year where I've been involved in the Scottish behind the scenes
rather than just on the day and my first ever convention show that I've
organised. I think it went rather well, don't you?

Highs:
- proving that Martin was in the show on his own merit and not as my fiance
- catching up with old friends and making new ones (even if for 30 secs
each!)
- pushing the occupancy of a one bedroom flat up to 6 people and them
still being comfortable
- getting the largest turnout for a SJC
- coming home sunday night to find my dishes had been done and my bed made
by Luke and Matt
- getting loads of emails thanking us for a great convention
- late night portrait session with my guests
- the show being just as great as I hoped it would be

Lows:
- too little sleep
- getting very little time to juggle (in fact.... none)
- not getting to chill out with Martin as much as I'd like

Goal:
- to run a great convention - check
- to get together more people from all over Scotland to run next year -
fail (lack of interest in the convention meeting proved that one)

Crush:
- Martin, but for pulling off a fantastic routine
- Mini for super helpfulness and support on the nights before the
convention I was close to pulling my hair out!
- Sean, Matt, Luke, Wes, Fak and Mini again for being brilliant
houseguests and for all the laughs

Bane:
- finding out we had no heating at Kinning Park on friday, but luckily we
got round it by Saturday night

Surprise:
- the ceilidh being super-popular this year

Thanks:
- Miles and Ciorstiadh for their part in the organisation
- Graham for advice based on conventions past
- Mini and Gandolf for their help with the show
- All the volunteers who manned and womanned the reception desk
- Everyone who ran workshops
- All those who made it to the Scottish for the first time, and those who
returned once again
- The janitorial staff of Bellahouston Academy who were extremely helpful
- Lisette Johnston who not only filmed the MSN video segment but agreed to
stay on and film the show for us (details of how to view this to follow in
the coming weeks)

------------
www.scottishjuggling.info will be updated over the coming weeks to provide
links to photos, video and reviews of the convention.

Oh, and next year we'll be back again in the same venues and try to make
it even better than it was this year! If you want to be involved just drop
me a line.

jamesfrancis

Feb 6, 2008, 12:58:35 PM2/6/08
Matt Hall wrote:

Lots of stuff, then wrote

> Bounce workshop (having a smaller group, seeing people get it, and
> James has major skills)

Thank you very much, now if only i could manage some consistency.....

> Teach some quality workshops--check (NOTE: anyone reading this who
> took my workshops, I would be VERY grateful to hear your comments and
> critiques here or privately. I want to improve the workshops for the
> future)

I went to your bounce workshop really because I have been thinking of
running my own one sometime, but didn't really know how to approach it. I
know with bounce juggling in particular any workshop is likely to get a
small group with very varying ability. I wasn't sure if it was possible
run a bounce workshop without the use of siteswap. I think of most of my
tricks as variations on basic siteswaps but I know a lot of UK bouncers I
have shown ticks to before (particuarly the oldies) don't think like that
at all.

I think you showed it is possible to run a succesfull workshop without the
necesssity of siteswap but you also explained things well in siteswap
terms for geeks like me. I'm not sure the workshop I would like to run
would work at most conventions unless there was a core group of pretty
good bouncers, but I think I might try a simpler one at some point! I also
picked up several other tips from you on running a workshop, Particuarly
like setting challenges of variations on tricks to keep the more able
jugglers Keen.

I went to your multiplex workshop as well and really enjoyed that. I can't
remember the last time I learnt so many tricks in such a small amount of
time. I'm currently working my way through some of the rest of the list we
didnt get time for. Also had a fair attempt at 633 MM (bounce) the other
day too!

Thanks and see you at EJC
Thanks also to the organisers for a great convention and an enjoyable
first trip into Scotland for me.
James

marcobonisimo

Feb 7, 2008, 9:26:45 AM2/7/08

Matt Hall wrote:
> Getting to know Marco and Jeroen--Dutch convention is going to go
> OFF! I'm bringing the t-shirts! These two are great performers and
> great guys. Invite them to your festival now.

Thanks Matt. To all the others, if you invite us, then do not forget to
invite Matt, so you actually will have the three t-shirt brothers running
around! Thanks to Miles, we will be able to give a ninja-outfit workshop
then!

When is the next Scottish convention? And I was wondering, why not
organising it in Holland?

Hoping to see you all soon, Marco

Azrelle

Feb 7, 2008, 5:51:11 PM2/7/08
marcobonisimo wrote:

> When is the next Scottish convention? And I was wondering, why not
> organising it in Holland?

6-8th February 2009 :) Never let it be said we're not thinking ahead

And if holland is any warmer that time of year we might consider it

____
Az

Tom Derrick

Feb 8, 2008, 7:02:23 AM2/8/08
HIGH
A large number of familiar faces
"Can I solve your Rubik's Cube"
TV Champion
"Are you alright, Sarah?"
Stripping the willow
Watching most of the show
Solo acrobalance
Kendama jam
"Well, I'm the act after Wes Peden"
Water bottle headbalance not failing on stage (unlike in practice)
"I'm bloody stuck"
Snow
"This trick" whist holding up the thumb, index and little fingers
Forehead Ws
Melt Banana on the journey home. The lift was thoroughly appreciated.

LOW
People missing out on food before the show
Missing Matt's, Martin's, and most of Luke's acts
Flaming Sambuca

GOAL
To have an amazing time (several massive ticks, plus a smiley face)

CRUSH
Az, Miles, and Ciorstiadh for putting on such a marvelous convention, and
still having enough time to chat at various points. You did a fantastic
job!

BANE
None, really, although Matt had the same idea as myself on the Saturday
night, but got to the sofa cushions before I did :-P

SURPRISE
The renegade, bar an act or two, was very good.
Lots and lots of food. I didn't know that it was all provided, but it was
very welcome.

Ewano

Feb 8, 2008, 11:42:50 AM2/8/08
Tom Derrick wrote:

> LOW
> Flaming Sambuca

Surely it wasn't the sambuca's fault, you saw that it just bit me...
Hows your burn coming along?

Ewano - getting increasingly annoyed with pressing things into his burn.

lynne

Feb 8, 2008, 11:49:04 AM2/8/08
Ewano wrote:

> - getting increasingly annoyed with pressing things into his burn.

Then stop doing it, doofus.

Lynne

Luke Burrage

Feb 8, 2008, 2:25:25 PM2/8/08
The Void wrote:

> Wes' 5 club endurance finish,
> general chatting and daftness, nibbles (and nibbles), Luke B's ping pong
> stuff being much better than
> I'd imagined, and ditto most of renegade.

I missed this before, thanks a lot! I think.