What is the value of juggling?

Ed Provencher

Apr 17, 2008, 8:09:34 AM4/17/08
What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?

What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
us jugglers around?

www.icantstopjuggling.blogspot.com

The Void

Apr 17, 2008, 8:12:55 AM4/17/08
Ed Provencher wrote:
> What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?

£8.75, and £6.20 respectively.

> What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> us jugglers around?

Someone to look down upon.

The Void
Because you really can't possibly have been serious.

fakoriginal

Apr 17, 2008, 8:13:40 AM4/17/08
Ed Provencher wrote:

> What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?

To whom? Also, how are you measuring "value"?

> What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> us jugglers around?

What do you mean by "practical benefits"?

fak - flashing back to micro- and macro-economics classes.

Jason Perry

Apr 17, 2008, 8:19:16 AM4/17/08
Ed Provencher wrote:

> What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?
>
> What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> us jugglers around?

How much is this essay worth toward my final grade?

Jason.

charliejuggler

Apr 17, 2008, 8:34:27 AM4/17/08
Ed Provencher wrote:
> What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?

Juggling isn't a sport, or an art, it's a small marmoset called Kevin.

> What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> us jugglers around?

Someone to catch what others drop.

> www.icantstopjuggling.blogspot.com

Ed Provencher

Apr 17, 2008, 8:45:37 AM4/17/08

Thank you for helping me to clarify the questions.

What is the value of artistic juggling or sport juggling to an
individual and to society? If you'd like, you can respond for
yourself. What is the value of juggling to yourself? What is your
estimate of its value to society?

By "practical benefits" I mean usefulness.

lynne

Apr 17, 2008, 8:50:04 AM4/17/08
Ed Provencher wrote:

> What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?

Er, um, well, maybe..., but then again perhaps... Hang on, let me (not)
think about this for a while and I may or may not get back to you sometime

> What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> us jugglers around?

Let's get rid of them/us all and then we can do a comparison.

Lynne
noticing the list of respondants and detecting a trend

Ed Provencher

Apr 17, 2008, 8:58:46 AM4/17/08

Lynne, is this what you mean?

What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having

jugglers around?

lynne

Apr 17, 2008, 9:04:41 AM4/17/08
Ed Provencher wrote:

> Thank you for helping me to clarify the questions.
>
> What is the value of artistic juggling or sport juggling to an
> individual and to society?

Who is the individual?
What is the currency and exchange rate?
Which society/societies?

> By "practical benefits" I mean usefulness.

What do you mean "usefulness"?

Lynne
remembering 'Peanuts' cartoons.

Sweavo

Apr 17, 2008, 9:08:15 AM4/17/08

Personally, I love the challenges, the variety, the thrill of achieving my
goals, and especially the other jugglers.

Jason Perry

Apr 17, 2008, 9:11:30 AM4/17/08
Ed Provencher wrote:

> On Apr 17, 9:50 pm, granger...@hotmail.com.nospam.com (lynne) wrote:
> > Ed Provencher wrote:
> >
> > > What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> > > us jugglers around?
> >
> > Let's get rid of them/us all and then we can do a comparison.
> >
> > Lynne
> > noticing the list of respondants and detecting a trend
>
> Lynne, is this what you mean?
>
> What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> jugglers around?

So that when someone attempts to stimulate some serious(?) discussion,
there is always someone around to respond with a sarcastic comment?

Admittedly, us jugglers may not do it as quickly or as noisily as uk
jugglers.

Jason.

Jason Perry

Apr 17, 2008, 9:13:23 AM4/17/08
Sweavo wrote:

> Ed Provencher wrote:
> >
> > What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?
> >
> > What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> > us jugglers around?
>
> Personally, I love the challenges, the variety, the thrill of achieving my
> goals, and especially the other jugglers.

When achieving other jugglers, do you lean toward the artistic side, or
are you a numbers man?

Jason.

Sweavo

Apr 17, 2008, 9:17:03 AM4/17/08

That's what I wondered when I read it on Ed's profile.

Jay Linn

Apr 17, 2008, 9:22:02 AM4/17/08
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:09:34 +0100, Ed Provencher
<eddie_pr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?

One is an invaluable displacement activity for creative slackers
everywhere. The other serves a similar purpose for the terminally
retentive who would otherwise be eternally troubled by which broom handle
to insert first.

> What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> us jugglers around?

The benefits are manifold : A welcome dilution of the dullard population.
Free hugs. Someone for chavs to shout at on Saturday nights[1]. Gently
feeding gentle trolls. Making the rest of the Edinburgh fringe look
slightly less incompetent. Celebrating pointlessness in a really jolly
fashion.

[1] An otherwise scandalously unfulfilled social need. Poor lambs.

--
Jay Linn

Magister ludi.

Ed Provencher

Apr 17, 2008, 9:28:30 AM4/17/08
On Apr 17, 10:08 pm, publi...@soycarretero.com.nospam.com (Sweavo)
wrote:

That sounds like something I've said in the past....

lynne

Apr 17, 2008, 9:50:18 AM4/17/08
Ed Provencher wrote:

> > > What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> > > us jugglers around?
> >
> > Let's get rid of them/us all and then we can do a comparison.

> Lynne, is this what you mean?
>
> What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> jugglers around?

Actually no. I was making the point that we won't reach a definitive
answer because we're unlikely to know the alternative.

The other interpretation was just habitual multiple readings of text and
knee jerk cynicism, sneaking through my subconcious - I'd not even noticed
until yourself and Mr Perry pointed it out (there go my smart-ass
credentials).

However, in the course of this discussion I have just (re-)discovered a
personal disadvantage:

Jugglers coming up with forums, chatting, forgetting to set cooking timers
- The house now stinks of smoke and my favourite saucepan is lost to an
impenetrable layer of charcoal.

It is at least a quantifiable item to measure by.

Lynne

Sweavo

Apr 17, 2008, 10:05:20 AM4/17/08

> It is at least a quantifiable item to measure by.
>
> Lynne

Thinking on, Ed seems to have asked the question in the wrong place. Is
it a question about economics? Ask an economist? About psychology?
Sociology? Ask in the relevant forum.

If the question had been "what is the most valuable thing you have
juggled?" or "what is the easiest way to juggle money?" then you'd be
right in the middle of the (english-speaking) world's most likely people
to know the answer.

To the original question:

positive value to the individual - improved coordination and balance have
made it easier to throw things into bins, to catch things when I slip
while washing up, and to smoothly lead my partner when salsa dancing.

negative - cost of props, time spent, fees to enter conventions, work time
lost posting in forums.

Personally I think "society" doesn't need jugglers. Juggling keeps
otherwise-harmless people out of harm's way, in other words, no nett gain.
What we need is a gladiatorial arena in which hooligans, vandals and yobs
can achieve (temporary) glory by killing one another off. THAT would be a
far better value-proposition. Sort of a "spell in the army" with a
post-modern twist.

Mats1

Apr 17, 2008, 10:20:36 AM4/17/08

I'm posting this without reading what anyone else has put first so as to
not let what they have written affect my opinion just yet, apologies for
any repetition.

The value juggling, not matter what kind, to the true juggler, cannot be
measured. It is so immense to them, that they cannot imagine the world
without it - It is perhaps as much a part of them as the air they breathe.
They could never put a price or value of any kind on juggling because it's
invaluable to them.

To the interested juggler, it's fun, perhaps a very fun hobby, but it
would be no huge disaster if they were to stop doing it. I bet you could
put a 'real value' on juggling, for example saying 'I'll give you x money
if you never juggling or watch juggling again'. The value might be quite
high, but you could do it.

For the 'non-juggler', juggling serves only as a source of entertainment
and has little or perhaps no (even negative) value in their eyes.

The practical benefits are few. Jugglers who juggle a lot may be more
healthy in general. The increase in reaction times can be useful in some
situations (usually catching things that fall and are breakable) but the
practical benefits to the juggler himself seem few.

I can think of still fewer benefits for soceity as a whole, though,
perhaps if juggling was more widespread, as say, football is now, the
benefits could be great for soceity as people would regularly get together
and juggle, socialize and have fun.

*reads rest of replies and link*

plumsie

Apr 17, 2008, 11:46:18 AM4/17/08
The Void wrote:

> Ed Provencher wrote:
> > What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?
>
> £8.75, and £6.20 respectively.

Does that take into account the current credit crunch and the poor economy?

Plumsie.
www.juggler.net/lestival

hirskontra

Apr 17, 2008, 1:01:41 PM4/17/08
Mats1 wrote:

> Ed Provencher wrote:
> >
> > What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?
> >
> > What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> > us jugglers around?
> >

> > www.icantstopjuggling.blogspot.com

I don't know. What I do know is that I derive great pleasure from it, and
it helped me realize that I -as everyone else- was not born clumsy and
without coordination. Although all my GE teachers kept saying I was:-)

Other than that, it's l'art pour l'art as the French say.

hirskontra

Apr 17, 2008, 1:06:15 PM4/17/08

I mean my PE teachers...:-)

Ewano

Apr 17, 2008, 1:35:36 PM4/17/08
Ed Provencher wrote:

> What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?
>
> What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> us jugglers around?

I quite like hanging with Matt when he's over for a fest. Peter was pretty
cool too, and Wes is good fun. Jay doesn't count as a yank any more,
Fergie has even given up on being sarcastic here cause he's seen all the
sarcastic comments before, and I can't comment on Aaron cause he'll get
upset about living in Canaidia...

Was that what you were asking?

Ewano - feeling hungry...

Bekah.Smith

Apr 17, 2008, 1:51:08 PM4/17/08
> Celebrating pointlessness in a really jolly
> fashion.

I like that explanation...it works on so many levels.

Bekah.Smith

Apr 17, 2008, 1:57:53 PM4/17/08

The entire juggling community exists to bring together all geeky, yet
talented, dudes into one forum or convention so that I can find myself a
decent (though probably incredibly sarcastic) man. Juggling has no other
benefits and serves no other purposes.

Bekah

MrJules

Apr 17, 2008, 5:22:29 PM4/17/08
The correct collective noun for jugglers is a "neverthriving"
Perhaps the clue to the value of jugglers in society is, as they say, in
the (collective) name.

Chadd Hammer

Apr 17, 2008, 11:32:54 PM4/17/08
I don't get it. Why sarcastic?

ultimatewannabe

Apr 18, 2008, 1:15:58 AM4/18/08
Ed Provencher wrote:

> What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?
>
> What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> us jugglers around?
>

> www.icantstopjuggling.blogspot.com

The value of any sport is nothing. They are all pointless.

"Accomplishment is overrated." - MJ Smith, my first juggling coach

bill coad

Apr 18, 2008, 2:44:41 AM4/18/08
Ed Provencher wrote:

> What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?
>
> What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> us jugglers around?
>

> www.icantstopjuggling.blogspot.com

If nothing else it helps to justify the existence of this forum, otherwise
we could be debating whether drumming is an art, sport, or noise.

'juggling' also gets more points in scrabble than 'tossing'.

Mark Nicoll

Apr 18, 2008, 4:51:43 AM4/18/08
MrJules wrote:

> The correct collective noun for jugglers is a "neverthriving"
> Perhaps the clue to the value of jugglers in society is, as they say, in
> the (collective) name.

I did not know that.

http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/collnoun.htm

�A conjunction of grammarians� - this could be recursive.

�An ambush of widows� - What's a nice lady like you doing in a place like
this?

�A conflagration of arsonists� - No shit.

Bekah.Smith

Apr 18, 2008, 9:41:31 AM4/18/08
ultimatewannabe wrote:

> Ed Provencher wrote:
> >
> > What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?
> >
> > What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> > us jugglers around?
> >

> > www.icantstopjuggling.blogspot.com
> >

> The value of any sport is nothing. They are all pointless.
>
> "Accomplishment is overrated." - MJ Smith, my first juggling coach

Inspiring!

Azrelle

Apr 19, 2008, 3:00:11 AM4/19/08
Ed Provencher wrote:

> What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?

In excess of Ł50 a seat if you want to watch cirque du soleil do it, or
about Ł5 at Edinburgh Fringe. Seemingly sport juggling was so expensive
last year in the UK that not many people bothered to watch it. A dude on
the street juggling will cost you anything you like, although it is polite
to at least drop a few coins for him if you stand and watch for more than
a couple of seconds.

As for society as a whole? Well, how many folks here get taken seriously
in any way at all when they tell their workmates/school friends that they
are a juggler? Jugglers are still that funny little interesting thing in
the corner to most of the world. To ourselves though we're having fun,
making friends and taking a sideways look at the world and meeting people
from wildly different backgrounds all united in trying to stop thinks
going THUD off the ground.

__
Az

ultimatewannabe

Apr 19, 2008, 4:26:28 AM4/19/08

Yeah, the day he said that I couldn't help but feel that I should really
be getting to work. :)

Eamon

Apr 19, 2008, 5:41:33 PM4/19/08

To the non juggler, the price of juggling is what they pay to see a show.

Sarah Biskup

Apr 20, 2008, 1:42:11 PM4/20/08
Ed Provencher wrote:

> On Apr 17, 9:13 pm, f...@juggler.net.nospam.com (fakoriginal) wrote:
> > Ed Provencher wrote:
> >
> > > What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?
> >
> > To whom? Also, how are you measuring "value"?

> > > What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> > > us jugglers around?
> >
> > What do you mean by "practical benefits"?
> >
> > fak - flashing back to micro- and macro-economics classes.
> >
> > --

> Thank you for helping me to clarify the questions.
>
> What is the value of artistic juggling or sport juggling to an
> individual and to society? If you'd like, you can respond for
> yourself. What is the value of juggling to yourself? What is your
> estimate of its value to society?

> By "practical benefits" I mean usefulness.

In terms of the benefits to the individual, if i didn't juggle i would
have no friends, no social life, no particular ability or talent in
anything and very little to do in my spare time.
In terms of the value to society, if i couldn't juggle i might be more
inclined to do something useful in order to make up for my lack of
friends, social life, ability and passtimes.
Anyway, what's the value of non-jugglers to us normal people?:)

Graham

Apr 20, 2008, 3:34:33 PM4/20/08
The Void wrote:

> Ed Provencher wrote:
> > What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?
>
> £8.75, and £6.20 respectively.

> > What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> > us jugglers around?
>
> Someone to look down upon.

Or up to if juggling on stilts

> The Void
> Because you really can't possibly have been serious.

Naomi

Apr 22, 2008, 3:37:10 AM4/22/08
Ed Provencher wrote:

> What is the value of artistic juggling or of sport juggling?
>
> What are the practical benefits for individuals or society by having
> us jugglers around?
>

> www.icantstopjuggling.blogspot.com

The benefit for me is that it gives something, completely lacking in any
practical benefit, that I can do whenever it pleases me. If such
activity became beneficial to anyone I would quickly have so find
something else, equally valueless, to do.

Nao

Wordcrasher

Apr 22, 2008, 3:36:23 PM4/22/08
Sweavo wrote:

> negative - cost of props, time spent, fees to enter conventions, work time
> lost posting in forums.

I'd count "work time lost posting in forums" as positive ;-)

danielcoyne

Apr 23, 2008, 2:43:19 PM4/23/08
Juggling teaches us many things. The least of which is juggling.

Kevin Marlatt

Apr 25, 2008, 2:54:28 AM4/25/08

What is the value of juggling?

What are the benefits to the individual and to society as a whole?

The benefits to the individual juggler are multiple. First and foremost, I
think, is the pleasure we derive from it. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't
fun. It also developes hand/eye coordination, quickens the reflexes, helps
keep one fit, alert, active, and youthful. It promotes ambidexterity,
instills confidence, and provides a medium for goal setting and
accomplishment. Studies have shown that children who can juggle do better
in school because all the left, right, left, right activity of juggling
produces more left and right brain hemisphere connections. Could juggling
be a way for older people to retain their mental and physical capacities
and help keep them from growing old and useless? I think so.

How does it benefit society? It brings pleasure to other people through
its entertainment value. Even if all a person gets from watching a juggler
is a smile, then a bit more Light has entered the world and it will be a
better place for it. I teach a juggling class in our local community
education program, and I figure the more people who can juggle, the less
people will be thinking about killing each other. So, really, I'm saving
the world, one person at a time. Phew! I have much work to do!

What is the value of juggling? How much would you miss it if you couldn't
do it anymore? How much darker and boring would the world be without
jugglers? Sure, we catch a lot of grief for juggling. But the ones who
cheer us and the ones who jeer us all have one thing in common: envy. We
belong to a very small group of people worldwide who can do this thing
that the others don't think they can. Of course, they could, if they
tried. But most of them are too afraid to let their guard down long enough
to risk looking silly. And that, my friends, is the value of juggling.
It's silly and fun, and therefore, priceless.

jimifun

Apr 27, 2008, 8:23:07 PM4/27/08
lynne wrote:

> Ed Provencher wrote:
>

> > Thank you for helping me to clarify the questions.
> >
> > What is the value of artistic juggling or sport juggling to an
> > individual and to society?
>
> Who is the individual?
> What is the currency and exchange rate?
> Which society/societies?

> > By "practical benefits" I mean usefulness.
> >
> What do you mean "usefulness"?
>
> Lynne
> remembering 'Peanuts' cartoons.

WHAT IS LOVE?